FoodBanter.com

-   -   Fresh Express shredded leaf lettuce. (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/426105-fresh-express-shredded-leaf.html)

Julie Bove[_2_] 25-10-2013 07:30 AM

Fresh Express shredded leaf lettuce.

That's what they had at Target today. In the past, I have bought the
shredded iceberg which I prefer but it always goes brown not long after I
open it and sometimes is brown even in the store, in which case I won't buy
it. The bag said it was great for tacos and other things. Well... It was
not great on my tostada. Iceberg just seems the lettuce of choice.

Yes, I know I could have purchased the whole head but it would likely go to
waste. I only needed a little bit. I don't know if they (Fresh Express)
still do the iceberg but Target didn't have it. Perhaps they figured this
kind would hold up better in the package. And it probably will. But it's
just not the right taste.

sf[_9_] 25-10-2013 03:23 PM

On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 13:11:53 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

> I was never satisfied with the quality of bagged lettuce, regardless of
> brand; it was always as you say, brown or getting there very fast or,
> just as bad, soggy. UNTIL, I tried the bagged salad from Aldi; the Aldi
> I shop has very good quality salad that stays fresh for several days and
> is only 99 cents for a 12 ounce bag. I can't say whether they have a
> better supplier or just handle it better in store; whatever the reason,
> the Aldi I shop consistently has decent bagged salad.

Great price, but no Aldi here. Yes, I know Aldi Nord is owner of the
Trader Joe's chain - but there is no store called Aldi where I live.
Maybe there's an Aldi back East (where are you located?), but I think
of it as being European. I'm satisfied with the quality of the bagged
lettuces I get at the grocery stores & Trader Joe's, but they are more
like $2 for a 12oz bag. They are very fresh and last quite a long
time.

brooklyn1 25-10-2013 03:59 PM

Fresh Express shredded leaf lettuce.

On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 23:30:56 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>That's what they had at Target today. In the past, I have bought the
>shredded iceberg which I prefer but it always goes brown not long after I
>open it and sometimes is brown even in the store, in which case I won't buy
>it. The bag said it was great for tacos and other things. Well... It was
>not great on my tostada. Iceberg just seems the lettuce of choice.
>
>Yes, I know I could have purchased the whole head but it would likely go to
>waste.

A head of iceberg costs what, maybe $1.79 at most but typically 99¢...
how difficult is it to shred a few leaves on a cutting board... can't
take more than a minute to shred a big handful. And even if you don't
use it all it's gotta cost less than those pre shredded bags... and
pre prepped greens are as filthy dirty as pre ground meat. If yoose
knew from where those pre prepped greens come to be you'd never eat
any, especially not from restaurants that buy it by the truck load....
it's the harvest salvage what's been run over by tires and stomped
into the dirt, swished some in a big vat of filthy water, chopped and
bagged... no wonder there are always recalls from it spreading
foodborne disease.

[email protected] 25-10-2013 06:05 PM

On Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:30:56 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
> That's what they had at Target today. In the past, I have bought the
>
> shredded iceberg which I prefer but it always goes brown not long after I
>
> open it and sometimes is brown even in the store, in which case I won't buy
>
> it. The bag said it was great for tacos and other things. Well... It was
>
> not great on my tostada. Iceberg just seems the lettuce of choice.
>

> Yes, I know I could have purchased the whole head but it would likely go to
>
> waste. I only needed a little bit. I don't know if they (Fresh Express)
>
> still do the iceberg but Target didn't have it. Perhaps they figured this
>
> kind would hold up better in the package. And it probably will. But it's
>
> just not the right taste.

Iceberg is like eating air...no nutritional value at all. Why don't you just buy a head of lettuce?

jmcquown[_2_] 25-10-2013 06:15 PM

On 10/25/2013 1:05 PM, wrote:
> On Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:30:56 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>> That's what they had at Target today. In the past, I have bought the
>> shredded iceberg which I prefer but it always goes brown not long after I
>> open it and sometimes is brown even in the store, in which case I won't buy
>> it. The bag said it was great for tacos and other things. Well... It was
>> not great on my tostada. Iceberg just seems the lettuce of choice.
>>
>> Yes, I know I could have purchased the whole head but it would likely go to
>> waste. I only needed a little bit. I don't know if they (Fresh Express)
>> still do the iceberg but Target didn't have it. Perhaps they figured this
>> kind would hold up better in the package. And it probably will. But it's
>> just not the right taste.

> Iceberg is like eating air...no nutritional value at all. Why don't you just buy a head of lettuce?

Tsk tsk! She already said she thought a head of iceburg would go bad
before she could use it. (So what? I say.) She'd rather spend money on
bagged salad. It's a given she didn't like it.

Jill

sf[_9_] 25-10-2013 08:03 PM

On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 10:05:36 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

> On Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:30:56 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
> > That's what they had at Target today. In the past, I have bought the
> >
> > shredded iceberg which I prefer but it always goes brown not long after I
> >
> > open it and sometimes is brown even in the store, in which case I won't buy
> >
> > it. The bag said it was great for tacos and other things. Well... It was
> >
> > not great on my tostada. Iceberg just seems the lettuce of choice.
> >

> > Yes, I know I could have purchased the whole head but it would likely go to
> >
> > waste. I only needed a little bit. I don't know if they (Fresh Express)
> >
> > still do the iceberg but Target didn't have it. Perhaps they figured this
> >
> > kind would hold up better in the package. And it probably will. But it's
> >
> > just not the right taste.

> Iceberg is like eating air...no nutritional value at all. Why don't you just buy a head of lettuce?

Iceberg is crunchy air. Really awful crunchy air.

brooklyn1 25-10-2013 09:37 PM

Fresh Express shredded leaf lettuce.

On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 10:05:36 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>On Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:30:56 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>> That's what they had at Target today. In the past, I have bought the
>>
>> shredded iceberg which I prefer but it always goes brown not long after I
>>
>> open it and sometimes is brown even in the store, in which case I won't buy
>>
>> it. The bag said it was great for tacos and other things. Well... It was
>>
>> not great on my tostada. Iceberg just seems the lettuce of choice.
>>

>> Yes, I know I could have purchased the whole head but it would likely go to
>>
>> waste. I only needed a little bit. I don't know if they (Fresh Express)
>>
>> still do the iceberg but Target didn't have it. Perhaps they figured this
>>
>> kind would hold up better in the package. And it probably will. But it's
>>
>> just not the right taste.

>Iceberg is like eating air...no nutritional value at all. Why don't you just buy a head of lettuce?

Folks eat iceberg for it's unique texture, no other lettuce is as
crisp throughout. Now stop your friggin' double spacing, NEWBIE!

Julie Bove[_2_] 25-10-2013 10:43 PM

"l not -l" > wrote in message

> On 25-Oct-2013, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> That's what they had at Target today. In the past, I have bought the
>> shredded iceberg which I prefer but it always goes brown not long
>> after I
>> open it and sometimes is brown even in the store, in which case I
>> won't buy
>> it. The bag said it was great for tacos and other things. Well...
>> It was
>> not great on my tostada. Iceberg just seems the lettuce of choice.
>>
>> Yes, I know I could have purchased the whole head but it would likely
>> go to
>> waste. I only needed a little bit. I don't know if they (Fresh
>> Express)
>> still do the iceberg but Target didn't have it. Perhaps they figured
>> this
>> kind would hold up better in the package. And it probably will. But
>> it's
>> just not the right taste.

> I was never satisfied with the quality of bagged lettuce, regardless of
> brand; it was always as you say, brown or getting there very fast or,
> just as bad, soggy. UNTIL, I tried the bagged salad from Aldi; the Aldi
> I shop has very good quality salad that stays fresh for several days and
> is only 99 cents for a 12 ounce bag. I can't say whether they have a
> better supplier or just handle it better in store; whatever the reason,
> the Aldi I shop consistently has decent bagged salad.

Sadly we have no Aldi here.

Julie Bove[_2_] 25-10-2013 10:49 PM

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 23:30:56 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>That's what they had at Target today. In the past, I have bought the
>>shredded iceberg which I prefer but it always goes brown not long after I
>>open it and sometimes is brown even in the store, in which case I won't
>>buy
>>it. The bag said it was great for tacos and other things. Well... It
>>was
>>not great on my tostada. Iceberg just seems the lettuce of choice.
>>
>>Yes, I know I could have purchased the whole head but it would likely go
>>waste.

> A head of iceberg costs what, maybe $1.79 at most but typically 99¢...
> how difficult is it to shred a few leaves on a cutting board... can't
> take more than a minute to shred a big handful. And even if you don't
> use it all it's gotta cost less than those pre shredded bags... and
> pre prepped greens are as filthy dirty as pre ground meat. If yoose
> knew from where those pre prepped greens come to be you'd never eat
> any, especially not from restaurants that buy it by the truck load....
> it's the harvest salvage what's been run over by tires and stomped
> into the dirt, swished some in a big vat of filthy water, chopped and
> bagged... no wonder there are always recalls from it spreading
> foodborne disease.

Not difficult at all. But then what would I do with the rest of the head?
Most likely throw it out.

Julie Bove[_2_] 25-10-2013 10:50 PM

Fresh Express shredded leaf lettuce.

> wrote in message
> On Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:30:56 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>> That's what they had at Target today. In the past, I have bought the
>>
>> shredded iceberg which I prefer but it always goes brown not long after I
>>
>> open it and sometimes is brown even in the store, in which case I won't
>> buy
>>
>> it. The bag said it was great for tacos and other things. Well... It
>> was
>>
>> not great on my tostada. Iceberg just seems the lettuce of choice.
>>

>> Yes, I know I could have purchased the whole head but it would likely go
>>
>> waste. I only needed a little bit. I don't know if they (Fresh Express)
>>
>> still do the iceberg but Target didn't have it. Perhaps they figured
>> this
>>
>> kind would hold up better in the package. And it probably will. But
>> it's
>>
>> just not the right taste.

> Iceberg is like eating air...no nutritional value at all. Why don't you
> just buy a head of lettuce?

Because I just wanted a handful of lettuce. I have no use for the rest of
it.

Julie Bove[_2_] 25-10-2013 10:51 PM

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 10/25/2013 1:05 PM, wrote:
>> On Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:30:56 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> That's what they had at Target today. In the past, I have bought the
>>> shredded iceberg which I prefer but it always goes brown not long after
>>> open it and sometimes is brown even in the store, in which case I won't
>>> buy
>>> it. The bag said it was great for tacos and other things. Well... It
>>> was
>>> not great on my tostada. Iceberg just seems the lettuce of choice.
>>>
>>> Yes, I know I could have purchased the whole head but it would likely go
>>> waste. I only needed a little bit. I don't know if they (Fresh
>>> Express)
>>> still do the iceberg but Target didn't have it. Perhaps they figured
>>> this
>>> kind would hold up better in the package. And it probably will. But
>>> it's
>>> just not the right taste.

>> Iceberg is like eating air...no nutritional value at all. Why don't you
>> just buy a head of lettuce?
>>

> Tsk tsk! She already said she thought a head of iceburg would go bad
> before she could use it. (So what? I say.) She'd rather spend money on
> bagged salad. It's a given she didn't like it.

Ya'll missed the point of my post. This wasn't iceberg. It was leaf
lettuce and they said it was great for tacos. It wasn't. Iceberg is the
only way to go there, IMO.

Julie Bove[_2_] 25-10-2013 10:51 PM

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 10:05:36 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:30:56 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > That's what they had at Target today. In the past, I have bought the
>> >
>> > shredded iceberg which I prefer but it always goes brown not long after
>> >
>> > open it and sometimes is brown even in the store, in which case I won't
>> > buy
>> >
>> > it. The bag said it was great for tacos and other things. Well... It
>> > was
>> >
>> > not great on my tostada. Iceberg just seems the lettuce of choice.
>> >

>> > Yes, I know I could have purchased the whole head but it would likely
>> > go to
>> >
>> > waste. I only needed a little bit. I don't know if they (Fresh
>> > Express)
>> >
>> > still do the iceberg but Target didn't have it. Perhaps they figured
>> > this
>> >
>> > kind would hold up better in the package. And it probably will. But
>> > it's
>> >
>> > just not the right taste.

>> Iceberg is like eating air...no nutritional value at all. Why don't you
>> just buy a head of lettuce?

> Iceberg is crunchy air. Really awful crunchy air.

What kind of lettuce do you use on your tacos then?

Julie Bove[_2_] 25-10-2013 10:52 PM

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 10:05:36 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>
>>On Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:30:56 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> That's what they had at Target today. In the past, I have bought the
>>>
>>> shredded iceberg which I prefer but it always goes brown not long after
>>>
>>> open it and sometimes is brown even in the store, in which case I won't
>>> buy
>>>
>>> it. The bag said it was great for tacos and other things. Well... It
>>> was
>>>
>>> not great on my tostada. Iceberg just seems the lettuce of choice.
>>>

>>> Yes, I know I could have purchased the whole head but it would likely go
>>>
>>> waste. I only needed a little bit. I don't know if they (Fresh
>>> Express)
>>>
>>> still do the iceberg but Target didn't have it. Perhaps they figured
>>> this
>>>
>>> kind would hold up better in the package. And it probably will. But
>>> it's
>>>
>>> just not the right taste.

>>Iceberg is like eating air...no nutritional value at all. Why don't you
>>just buy a head of lettuce?

> Folks eat iceberg for it's unique texture, no other lettuce is as
> crisp throughout. Now stop your friggin' double spacing, NEWBIE!

I *love* the taste and crunch of iceberg! I know there is no nutrition in
it but it's great on tacos.

Gary 25-10-2013 11:04 PM

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> "Julie Bove" wrote:
> >Yes, I know I could have purchased the whole head but it would likely go to
> >waste.

> A head of iceberg costs what, maybe $1.79 at most but typically 99¢...
> how difficult is it to shred a few leaves on a cutting board... can't
> take more than a minute to shred a big handful. And even if you don't
> use it all it's gotta cost less than those pre shredded bags...

I agree with you, Sheldon. That's what I was thinking.
Not only that, a whole head will last longer than a bag of shredded
and it's fresher to start with.

Gary

sf[_9_] 25-10-2013 11:25 PM

Fresh Express shredded leaf lettuce.

On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 14:51:44 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message

> >> Iceberg is like eating air...no nutritional value at all. Why don't you
> >> just buy a head of lettuce?

> > Iceberg is crunchy air. Really awful crunchy air.

> What kind of lettuce do you use on your tacos then?

Whatever I have on hand.

Gary 25-10-2013 11:47 PM

wrote:

> Iceberg is like eating air...no nutritional value at all.

Fairly true but I do prefer iceberg lettuce. I like the crunch. Other
varieties taste like eating grass to me.

Gary

jmcquown[_2_] 25-10-2013 11:52 PM

On 10/25/2013 4:37 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 10:05:36 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:30:56 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> That's what they had at Target today. In the past, I have bought the
>>>
>>> shredded iceberg which I prefer but it always goes brown not long after I
>>>
>>> open it and sometimes is brown even in the store, in which case I won't buy
>>>
>>> it. The bag said it was great for tacos and other things. Well... It was
>>>
>>> not great on my tostada. Iceberg just seems the lettuce of choice.
>>>

> Folks eat iceberg for it's unique texture, no other lettuce is as
> crisp throughout. Now stop your friggin' double spacing, NEWBIE!

They're not double spacing. They're posting through Google Groups which
doesn't format Usenet posts correctly. When you read a reply to a
reply, it's all double and sometimes triple-spaced.

Jill

Gary 26-10-2013 12:28 AM

sf wrote:

> Iceberg is crunchy air. Really awful crunchy air.

That's only because you live in the city with all the polluted air.

G.

jmcquown[_2_] 26-10-2013 12:47 AM

On 10/25/2013 7:28 PM, Gary wrote:
> sf wrote:
>>
>> Iceberg is crunchy air. Really awful crunchy air.

> That's only because you live in the city with all the polluted air.
>
> G.

I'm not lettuce expert (the very thought makes me laugh!). Iceberg is
pretty much all my parents ever ate. As a teen I was in charge of
tearing the lettuce and adding in whatever else they wanted. Often
radishes, as I recall. Notice I said tearing the lettuce? Myth or no
myth? Chopping lettuce does make it brown much more quickly. I've had
personal experience with that.

But back to Julie: what lettuce does Taco Bell use? Probably iceberg.
I'm guessing that's the texture Julie was hoping for when she bought
the bag of shredded leaf lettuce.

Even if I ate salad I wouldn't buy bagged lettuce or salad blends. This
is one instance where I'd be really concerned with the "expiration date". ;)

Jill

gregz 26-10-2013 03:08 AM

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message

>>> Iceberg is like eating air...no nutritional value at all. Why don't you

>> Folks eat iceberg for it's unique texture, no other lettuce is as
>> crisp throughout. Now stop your friggin' double spacing, NEWBIE!

> I *love* the taste and crunch of iceberg! I know there is no nutrition
> in it but it's great on tacos.

One of the best salads I have had, used all iceberg. It was the dressing
that made the taste. I also like crunch.

No nutrition.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2476/2

Greg

sf[_9_] 26-10-2013 05:02 AM

Fresh Express shredded leaf lettuce.

On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 19:47:08 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> Even if I ate salad I wouldn't buy bagged lettuce or salad blends. This
> is one instance where I'd be really concerned with the "expiration date". ;)

Bagged salad material doesn't work for a single person unless you eat
a lot of salad, which you don't. I have the option of buying as much
or as little as I want from a big bin, which I do also. I simply
disagree with Julie about the freshness and quality of her bagged
salad greens.

Leaf lettuce that has been partially frozen will appear to be not
fresh or rotting. Maybe she stores it in her vegetable bin and gets
too cold. I know my vegetable bin does. It will freeze the
vegetables that are on the bottom, so I have to line it with items
that won't care if they freeze or not... things like almond meal and
other forms of nuts.

I finally realized today "why" it happens. I have a bottom freezer
and the freezer coils are located between the refrigerator compartment
and the freezer compartment, not on the back of the refrigerator.

Janet Bostwick 26-10-2013 05:31 AM

On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 21:02:07 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 19:47:08 -0400, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>> Even if I ate salad I wouldn't buy bagged lettuce or salad blends. This
>> is one instance where I'd be really concerned with the "expiration date". ;)
>>

>Bagged salad material doesn't work for a single person unless you eat
>a lot of salad, which you don't. I have the option of buying as much
>or as little as I want from a big bin, which I do also. I simply
>disagree with Julie about the freshness and quality of her bagged
>salad greens.
>
>Leaf lettuce that has been partially frozen will appear to be not
>fresh or rotting. Maybe she stores it in her vegetable bin and gets
>too cold. I know my vegetable bin does. It will freeze the
>vegetables that are on the bottom, so I have to line it with items
>that won't care if they freeze or not... things like almond meal and
>other forms of nuts.
>
>I finally realized today "why" it happens. I have a bottom freezer
>and the freezer coils are located between the refrigerator compartment
>and the freezer compartment, not on the back of the refrigerator.

If so little is wanted, why not go to the store salad bar and get what
is needed?
Janet US

Julie Bove[_2_] 26-10-2013 06:12 AM

"sf" > wrote in message

>> What kind of lettuce do you use on your tacos then?

> Whatever I have on hand.

Oh. Okay then.

Julie Bove[_2_] 26-10-2013 06:14 AM

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> "Julie Bove" wrote:
>> >Yes, I know I could have purchased the whole head but it would likely go
>> >waste.

>> A head of iceberg costs what, maybe $1.79 at most but typically 99¢...
>> how difficult is it to shred a few leaves on a cutting board... can't
>> take more than a minute to shred a big handful. And even if you don't
>> use it all it's gotta cost less than those pre shredded bags...

> I agree with you, Sheldon. That's what I was thinking.
> Not only that, a whole head will last longer than a bag of shredded
> and it's fresher to start with.

Yes but we would never finish a whole head. Plus it takes up a lot of space
in the fridge.

Julie Bove[_2_] 26-10-2013 06:17 AM

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 10/25/2013 7:28 PM, Gary wrote:
>> sf wrote:
>>>
>>> Iceberg is crunchy air. Really awful crunchy air.

>> That's only because you live in the city with all the polluted air.
>>
>> G.
>>

> I'm not lettuce expert (the very thought makes me laugh!). Iceberg is
> pretty much all my parents ever ate. As a teen I was in charge of tearing
> the lettuce and adding in whatever else they wanted. Often radishes, as I
> recall. Notice I said tearing the lettuce? Myth or no myth? Chopping
> lettuce does make it brown much more quickly. I've had personal
> experience with that.

If you use a plastic knife, it won't brown. We had one of those for making
wedges.

> But back to Julie: what lettuce does Taco Bell use? Probably iceberg.
> I'm guessing that's the texture Julie was hoping for when she bought the
> bag of shredded leaf lettuce.

Most every place I know uses that unless it is fish tacos. Then they use
cabbage or coleslaw. I don't eat Taco Bell tacos so not sure what they put
in there.

> Even if I ate salad I wouldn't buy bagged lettuce or salad blends. This
> is one instance where I'd be really concerned with the "expiration date".
> ;)

K.

Julie Bove[_2_] 26-10-2013 06:22 AM

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 19:47:08 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> Even if I ate salad I wouldn't buy bagged lettuce or salad blends. This
>> is one instance where I'd be really concerned with the "expiration date".
>> ;)
>>

> Bagged salad material doesn't work for a single person unless you eat
> a lot of salad, which you don't. I have the option of buying as much
> or as little as I want from a big bin, which I do also. I simply
> disagree with Julie about the freshness and quality of her bagged
> salad greens.

I don't know of too many stores here that sell the loose greens like that
but when they do, they are not the kind that Angela likes. She prefers
Romaine with red cabbbage or radicchio.

> Leaf lettuce that has been partially frozen will appear to be not
> fresh or rotting. Maybe she stores it in her vegetable bin and gets
> too cold. I know my vegetable bin does. It will freeze the
> vegetables that are on the bottom, so I have to line it with items
> that won't care if they freeze or not... things like almond meal and
> other forms of nuts.

My fridge doesn't have anything labeled as a vegetable bin. It does have two
bins. A larger one and a smaller, lower one. The vegetables go in the larger
one when they'll fit. Most always I will have veggies or fruit that won't
fit in there. We eat tons of raw veggies. I don't usually put the bagged
salads in there unless I know there is space because they squish easily.

My lower bin is reserved for anything I want to hide for myself. Like the
vegan fudge. Meats and any cheese that won't fit in the door. Stuff can
freeze there is placed on the far left.

Julie Bove[_2_] 26-10-2013 06:23 AM

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 21:02:07 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 19:47:08 -0400, jmcquown >
>>wrote:
>>
>>> Even if I ate salad I wouldn't buy bagged lettuce or salad blends. This
>>> is one instance where I'd be really concerned with the "expiration
>>> date". ;)
>>>

>>Bagged salad material doesn't work for a single person unless you eat
>>a lot of salad, which you don't. I have the option of buying as much
>>or as little as I want from a big bin, which I do also. I simply
>>disagree with Julie about the freshness and quality of her bagged
>>salad greens.
>>
>>Leaf lettuce that has been partially frozen will appear to be not
>>fresh or rotting. Maybe she stores it in her vegetable bin and gets
>>too cold. I know my vegetable bin does. It will freeze the
>>vegetables that are on the bottom, so I have to line it with items
>>that won't care if they freeze or not... things like almond meal and
>>other forms of nuts.
>>
>>I finally realized today "why" it happens. I have a bottom freezer
>>and the freezer coils are located between the refrigerator compartment
>>and the freezer compartment, not on the back of the refrigerator.

> If so little is wanted, why not go to the store salad bar and get what
> is needed?
> Janet US

Salad bars are not common here and the ones that I know of don't have
iceberg.

sf[_9_] 26-10-2013 06:56 AM

Fresh Express shredded leaf lettuce.

On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 22:31:51 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> If so little is wanted, why not go to the store salad bar and get what
> is needed?

I can buy mixed salad greens in bulk, so why would I need a salad bar?
In any case, salad bars are passe and there are no salad bars where I
shop. Safeway has an olive bar. Lucky doesn't even have that much.
Andronico's has two hot food bars and a kick ass cheese section with
its own special employee that knows all about their cheeses, an olive
bar - but no salad bar. Come to think of it, Whole Foods has a salad
bar - but their salad bar doesn't have celery sticks (which is what I
used to buy from salad bar) and I only shop at WF if they have
something that isn't stocked by the grocery stores I usually shop in
(like Hatch chiles).

sf[_9_] 26-10-2013 07:04 AM

Fresh Express shredded leaf lettuce.

On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 22:22:38 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> My fridge doesn't have anything labeled as a vegetable bin.

I do and they have sliders that control the humidity from "vegetable"
to "fruit".

> It does have two bins. A larger one and a smaller, lower one.

I have two big bins with sliders and they are side by side at the
bottom of the refrigerator compartment. I have a shallow one on one
side of the refrigerator compartment above those two. That's where I
keep my cheeses etc.

> The vegetables go in the larger
> one when they'll fit. Most always I will have veggies or fruit that won't
> fit in there. We eat tons of raw veggies. I don't usually put the bagged
> salads in there unless I know there is space because they squish easily.
>
> My lower bin is reserved for anything I want to hide for myself. Like the
> vegan fudge. Meats and any cheese that won't fit in the door. Stuff can
> freeze there is placed on the far left.

That's probably where your freezer coils are located.

sf[_9_] 26-10-2013 07:05 AM

Fresh Express shredded leaf lettuce.

On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 22:17:17 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

> > I'm not lettuce expert (the very thought makes me laugh!). Iceberg is
> > pretty much all my parents ever ate. As a teen I was in charge of tearing
> > the lettuce and adding in whatever else they wanted. Often radishes, as I
> > recall. Notice I said tearing the lettuce? Myth or no myth? Chopping
> > lettuce does make it brown much more quickly. I've had personal
> > experience with that.

> If you use a plastic knife, it won't brown. We had one of those for making
> wedges.

Would a ceramic knife work in the same manner?

Julie Bove[_2_] 26-10-2013 08:19 AM

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 22:31:51 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
>
>> If so little is wanted, why not go to the store salad bar and get what
>> is needed?

> I can buy mixed salad greens in bulk, so why would I need a salad bar?
> In any case, salad bars are passe and there are no salad bars where I
> shop. Safeway has an olive bar. Lucky doesn't even have that much.
> Andronico's has two hot food bars and a kick ass cheese section with
> its own special employee that knows all about their cheeses, an olive
> bar - but no salad bar. Come to think of it, Whole Foods has a salad
> bar - but their salad bar doesn't have celery sticks (which is what I
> used to buy from salad bar) and I only shop at WF if they have
> something that isn't stocked by the grocery stores I usually shop in
> (like Hatch chiles).

The Whole Foods Salad bar isn't very good anyway. We tried it twice.

Julie Bove[_2_] 26-10-2013 08:21 AM

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 22:22:38 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> My fridge doesn't have anything labeled as a vegetable bin.

> I do and they have sliders that control the humidity from "vegetable"
> to "fruit".

I wanted that kind. My MIL got a HUGE fridge and it had two such drawers
which I took advantage of while we were there. I was jealous! Alas when
it came time to get the new fridge there was only the one that I got that
would fit in this space. All of the other side by sides were too large and
the few top freezer models were far too small for a family.

>> It does have two bins. A larger one and a smaller, lower one.

> I have two big bins with sliders and they are side by side at the
> bottom of the refrigerator compartment. I have a shallow one on one
> side of the refrigerator compartment above those two. That's where I
> keep my cheeses etc.
>
>> The vegetables go in the larger
>> one when they'll fit. Most always I will have veggies or fruit that won't
>> fit in there. We eat tons of raw veggies. I don't usually put the bagged
>> salads in there unless I know there is space because they squish easily.
>>
>> My lower bin is reserved for anything I want to hide for myself. Like
>> the
>> vegan fudge. Meats and any cheese that won't fit in the door. Stuff can
>> freeze there is placed on the far left.

> That's probably where your freezer coils are located.

That could be.

Julie Bove[_2_] 26-10-2013 08:25 AM

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 22:17:17 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>> > I'm not lettuce expert (the very thought makes me laugh!). Iceberg is
>> > pretty much all my parents ever ate. As a teen I was in charge of
>> > tearing
>> > the lettuce and adding in whatever else they wanted. Often radishes,
>> > as I
>> > recall. Notice I said tearing the lettuce? Myth or no myth? Chopping
>> > lettuce does make it brown much more quickly. I've had personal
>> > experience with that.

>> If you use a plastic knife, it won't brown. We had one of those for
>> making
>> wedges.

> Would a ceramic knife work in the same manner?

I would imagine so but I'm no expert. My dad always said that it was the
metal that caused it. He loved making salads so I once got him some salad
scissors. I got some for myself too. They turned out to be rather a waste
of money. He never used his and I got rid of mine. The locking mechanism
broke. The idea was to put all of your vegetables in the salad bowl and
then just chop it all up with the scissors. They did work but if you used
them on greens, they would go brown right away. And while the end result was
edible, you wound up with a mess in a bowl.

These were not ordinary scissors. They were huge and had a curved bottom
that would fit the salad bowl.

sf[_9_] 26-10-2013 09:16 AM

Fresh Express shredded leaf lettuce.

On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 00:25:17 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 22:17:17 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:

> >> If you use a plastic knife, it won't brown. We had one of those for
> >> making wedges.

> > Would a ceramic knife work in the same manner?

> I would imagine so but I'm no expert. My dad always said that it was the
> metal that caused it. He loved making salads so I once got him some salad
> scissors. I got some for myself too. They turned out to be rather a waste
> of money. He never used his and I got rid of mine. The locking mechanism
> broke. The idea was to put all of your vegetables in the salad bowl and
> then just chop it all up with the scissors. They did work but if you used
> them on greens, they would go brown right away. And while the end result was
> edible, you wound up with a mess in a bowl.
>
> These were not ordinary scissors. They were huge and had a curved bottom
> that would fit the salad bowl.

I actually tried cutting salad greens with a knife once just to put
that theory to the test and the greens I cut didn't brown until the
next day... certainly faster than uncut greens would brown, but it was
perfectly okay to be served as a salad "today". Most of the greens I
buy don't need to be reduced in size anyway and if there are a few
leaves that are too big, I use my hands, No need to dirty a utensil
just to make a few lettuce leaves smaller. I understand your position
though. Your needs are different with arthritis.

Ophelia[_7_] 26-10-2013 09:34 AM

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> "Julie Bove" wrote:
>> >Yes, I know I could have purchased the whole head but it would likely go
>> >waste.

>> A head of iceberg costs what, maybe $1.79 at most but typically 99¢...
>> how difficult is it to shred a few leaves on a cutting board... can't
>> take more than a minute to shred a big handful. And even if you don't
>> use it all it's gotta cost less than those pre shredded bags...

> I agree with you, Sheldon. That's what I was thinking.
> Not only that, a whole head will last longer than a bag of shredded
> and it's fresher to start with.

Aye, pretty much the way I see it.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia[_7_] 26-10-2013 09:34 AM

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> wrote:
>>
>> Iceberg is like eating air...no nutritional value at all.

> Fairly true but I do prefer iceberg lettuce. I like the crunch. Other
> varieties taste like eating grass to me.

Same here. I hate the floppy stuff.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Julie Bove[_2_] 26-10-2013 11:00 AM

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 00:25:17 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 22:17:17 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> > Would a ceramic knife work in the same manner?

>> I would imagine so but I'm no expert. My dad always said that it was the
>> metal that caused it. He loved making salads so I once got him some
>> salad
>> scissors. I got some for myself too. They turned out to be rather a
>> waste
>> of money. He never used his and I got rid of mine. The locking
>> mechanism
>> broke. The idea was to put all of your vegetables in the salad bowl and
>> then just chop it all up with the scissors. They did work but if you
>> used
>> them on greens, they would go brown right away. And while the end result
>> was
>> edible, you wound up with a mess in a bowl.
>>
>> These were not ordinary scissors. They were huge and had a curved bottom
>> that would fit the salad bowl.

> I actually tried cutting salad greens with a knife once just to put
> that theory to the test and the greens I cut didn't brown until the
> next day... certainly faster than uncut greens would brown, but it was
> perfectly okay to be served as a salad "today". Most of the greens I
> buy don't need to be reduced in size anyway and if there are a few
> leaves that are too big, I use my hands, No need to dirty a utensil
> just to make a few lettuce leaves smaller. I understand your position
> though. Your needs are different with arthritis.

Yeah. They won't usually brown right away. It's what you have the next day
that would. This tool would be for when you are using a whole head of
lettuce, some green onion, some carrot, tomato, etc. Does work but I prefer
my salads to be more composed. Unless I am taking them with me somewhere.
Then the dump it in a container method works.

Used to be when I ate a salad, it was a huge salad and it was my meal. But
I just don't digest salad well any more so... I can only eat small ones.

Ophelia[_7_] 26-10-2013 12:49 PM

"gregz" > wrote in message

> One of the best salads I have had, used all iceberg. It was the dressing
> that made the taste. I also like crunch.

That is how it works for me!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Xeno Lith 26-10-2013 01:23 PM

On 26/10/13 8:49 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 23:30:56 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> That's what they had at Target today. In the past, I have bought the
>>> shredded iceberg which I prefer but it always goes brown not long
>>> after I
>>> open it and sometimes is brown even in the store, in which case I
>>> won't buy
>>> it. The bag said it was great for tacos and other things. Well...
>>> It was
>>> not great on my tostada. Iceberg just seems the lettuce of choice.
>>>
>>> Yes, I know I could have purchased the whole head but it would likely
>>> go to
>>> waste.

>> A head of iceberg costs what, maybe $1.79 at most but typically 99¢...
>> how difficult is it to shred a few leaves on a cutting board... can't
>> take more than a minute to shred a big handful. And even if you don't
>> use it all it's gotta cost less than those pre shredded bags... and
>> pre prepped greens are as filthy dirty as pre ground meat. If yoose
>> knew from where those pre prepped greens come to be you'd never eat
>> any, especially not from restaurants that buy it by the truck load....
>> it's the harvest salvage what's been run over by tires and stomped
>> into the dirt, swished some in a big vat of filthy water, chopped and
>> bagged... no wonder there are always recalls from it spreading
>> foodborne disease.

> Not difficult at all. But then what would I do with the rest of the
> head? Most likely throw it out.

You could compost it and use it on your garden. If you don't have a
garden, you could use it on your pot plants or in a window ledge herb
garden. We compost all vegetable matter from the kitchen. Been doing so
for decades!

--

Xeno

Xeno Lith 26-10-2013 01:25 PM

On 26/10/13 6:03 AM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 10:05:36 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:30:56 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> That's what they had at Target today. In the past, I have bought the
>>>
>>> shredded iceberg which I prefer but it always goes brown not long after I
>>>
>>> open it and sometimes is brown even in the store, in which case I won't buy
>>>
>>> it. The bag said it was great for tacos and other things. Well... It was
>>>
>>> not great on my tostada. Iceberg just seems the lettuce of choice.
>>>

>>> Yes, I know I could have purchased the whole head but it would likely go to
>>>
>>> waste. I only needed a little bit. I don't know if they (Fresh Express)
>>>
>>> still do the iceberg but Target didn't have it. Perhaps they figured this
>>>
>>> kind would hold up better in the package. And it probably will. But it's
>>>
>>> just not the right taste.

>> Iceberg is like eating air...no nutritional value at all. Why don't you just buy a head of lettuce?

> Iceberg is crunchy air. Really awful crunchy air.

Hey, I'm partial to a bit of "crunchy air"!!

--

Xeno