Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How to use fresh bay leaf?

After many fits and starts, (mostly scale-induced death) I finally
have a bay tree that's thriving. I've always used dried bay leaves,
naturally.

Can I just pick a leaf and throw it in the stew pot?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 08:12:53 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

>After many fits and starts, (mostly scale-induced death) I finally
>have a bay tree that's thriving. I've always used dried bay leaves,
>naturally.
>
>Can I just pick a leaf and throw it in the stew pot?

Oh, absolutely. Fresh bay is wonderful.

The plants do seem to seriously attract scale, though, don't they? A
friend sent me some California bay (much, much stronger), and I grew
that, too, hoping it'd put up a better fight. Nah,

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 30, 8:12*am, spamtrap1888 > wrote:
> After many fits and starts, (mostly scale-induced death) I finally
> have a bay tree that's thriving. I've always used dried bay leaves,
> naturally.
>
> Can I just pick a leaf and throw it in the stew pot?

Yup!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 30, 8:12*am, spamtrap1888 > wrote:
> After many fits and starts, (mostly scale-induced death) I finally
> have a bay tree that's thriving. I've always used dried bay leaves,
> naturally.
>
> Can I just pick a leaf and throw it in the stew pot?

Oh yes, fresh bay is wonderful, it has a brighter and more floral
note.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
On Sep 30, 8:12 am, spamtrap1888 > wrote:
> After many fits and starts, (mostly scale-induced death) I finally
> have a bay tree that's thriving. I've always used dried bay leaves,
> naturally.
>
> Can I just pick a leaf and throw it in the stew pot?

Oh yes, fresh bay is wonderful, it has a brighter and more floral
note.

But take care. Fresh bay is also quite powerful. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:

> After many fits and starts, (mostly scale-induced death) I finally
> have a bay tree that's thriving. I've always used dried bay leaves,
> naturally.

Is that a bay laurel tree or a Turkish bay tree? What zone?

> Can I just pick a leaf and throw it in the stew pot?

Absolutely! Several times as strong as the dried ones so maybe start
with a small one or a half leaf.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 30, 12:36*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Sep 30, 8:12*am, spamtrap1888 > wrote:
>
> > After many fits and starts, (mostly scale-induced death) I finally
> > have a bay tree that's thriving. I've always used dried bay leaves,
> > naturally.

> > Can I just pick a leaf and throw it in the stew pot?

> Oh yes, fresh bay is wonderful, it has a brighter and more floral
> note.

I bought a bay leaf wreath last year and a friend said not to use them
until they are dry????
So they can be use fresh ?

Lucille

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lucille > wrote:

>I bought a bay leaf wreath last year and a friend said not to use them
>until they are dry????
>So they can be use fresh ?

Sure. I often pick bay leaves off of local bay trees and use
them directly. They can be pretty potent however. I have used
ten fresh bay leaves when making a seafood risotto. That packs
a punch.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:29:56 -0700 (PDT), Lucille
> wrote:

>On Sep 30, 12:36*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
>> On Sep 30, 8:12*am, spamtrap1888 > wrote:
>>
>> > After many fits and starts, (mostly scale-induced death) I finally
>> > have a bay tree that's thriving. I've always used dried bay leaves,
>> > naturally.

>> > Can I just pick a leaf and throw it in the stew pot?

>> Oh yes, fresh bay is wonderful, it has a brighter and more floral
>> note.

>I bought a bay leaf wreath last year and a friend said not to use them
>until they are dry????
>So they can be use fresh ?
>
>Lucille

Yes.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 30, 6:34*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> Lucille > wrote:
> >I bought a bay leaf wreath last year and a friend said not to use them
> >until they are dry????
> >So they can be use fresh ?

> Sure. *I often pick bay leaves off of local bay trees and use
> them directly. *They can be pretty potent however. *I have used
> ten fresh bay leaves when making a seafood risotto. *That packs
> a punch.
>
> Steve

I'll have to order another small bunch of fresh bay leaves.
I ordered from http://www.mcfaddenfarm.com/

Lucille

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 08:12:53 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

> After many fits and starts, (mostly scale-induced death) I finally
> have a bay tree that's thriving. I've always used dried bay leaves,
> naturally.
>
> Can I just pick a leaf and throw it in the stew pot?

Sure can. You decide how much to use like with other fresh herbs vs
dried. Did you know they're selling fresh bay leaves in the vegetable
section now?

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:29:56 -0700 (PDT), Lucille
> wrote:

> I bought a bay leaf wreath last year and a friend said not to use them
> until they are dry????
> So they can be use fresh ?

Tell your friend she's stuck in the stone age and to get with it.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.

a breath of fresh air (fresh kielbasa~!) into alt.BREGS Bread Basket[_11_] Barbecue 1 09-09-2015 07:44 PM
Fresh Express shredded leaf lettuce. Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 56 27-10-2013 03:55 PM
Green tea leaf particle and leaf size Tea Sunrise Tea 14 24-09-2007 08:24 PM
Bay leaf Puester General Cooking 55 15-12-2004 06:40 PM
Go Fresh Produce, Inc., Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Sulfites in Go Fresh Dried Fruit Mix Duckie ® Recipes 0 29-05-2004 01:33 AM