Old 25-10-2013, 07:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fresh Express shredded leaf lettuce.

That's what they had at Target today. In the past, I have bought the
shredded iceberg which I prefer but it always goes brown not long after I
open it and sometimes is brown even in the store, in which case I won't buy
it. The bag said it was great for tacos and other things. Well... It was
not great on my tostada. Iceberg just seems the lettuce of choice.

Yes, I know I could have purchased the whole head but it would likely go to
waste. I only needed a little bit. I don't know if they (Fresh Express)
still do the iceberg but Target didn't have it. Perhaps they figured this
kind would hold up better in the package. And it probably will. But it's
just not the right taste.

Old 25-10-2013, 03:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 13:11:53 GMT, "l not -l" wrote:

I was never satisfied with the quality of bagged lettuce, regardless of
brand; it was always as you say, brown or getting there very fast or,
just as bad, soggy. UNTIL, I tried the bagged salad from Aldi; the Aldi
I shop has very good quality salad that stays fresh for several days and
is only 99 cents for a 12 ounce bag. I can't say whether they have a
better supplier or just handle it better in store; whatever the reason,
the Aldi I shop consistently has decent bagged salad.

Great price, but no Aldi here. Yes, I know Aldi Nord is owner of the
Trader Joe's chain - but there is no store called Aldi where I live.
Maybe there's an Aldi back East (where are you located?), but I think
of it as being European. I'm satisfied with the quality of the bagged
lettuces I get at the grocery stores & Trader Joe's, but they are more
like $2 for a 12oz bag. They are very fresh and last quite a long
time.

Old 25-10-2013, 03:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 23:30:56 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

That's what they had at Target today. In the past, I have bought the
shredded iceberg which I prefer but it always goes brown not long after I
open it and sometimes is brown even in the store, in which case I won't buy
it. The bag said it was great for tacos and other things. Well... It was
not great on my tostada. Iceberg just seems the lettuce of choice.

Yes, I know I could have purchased the whole head but it would likely go to
waste.

A head of iceberg costs what, maybe $1.79 at most but typically 99...
how difficult is it to shred a few leaves on a cutting board... can't
take more than a minute to shred a big handful. And even if you don't
use it all it's gotta cost less than those pre shredded bags... and
pre prepped greens are as filthy dirty as pre ground meat. If yoose
knew from where those pre prepped greens come to be you'd never eat
any, especially not from restaurants that buy it by the truck load....
it's the harvest salvage what's been run over by tires and stomped
into the dirt, swished some in a big vat of filthy water, chopped and
bagged... no wonder there are always recalls from it spreading
foodborne disease.
Old 25-10-2013, 06:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:30:56 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
That's what they had at Target today. In the past, I have bought the

shredded iceberg which I prefer but it always goes brown not long after I

open it and sometimes is brown even in the store, in which case I won't buy

it. The bag said it was great for tacos and other things. Well... It was

not great on my tostada. Iceberg just seems the lettuce of choice.

Yes, I know I could have purchased the whole head but it would likely go to

waste. I only needed a little bit. I don't know if they (Fresh Express)

still do the iceberg but Target didn't have it. Perhaps they figured this

kind would hold up better in the package. And it probably will. But it's

just not the right taste.

Iceberg is like eating air...no nutritional value at all. Why don't you just buy a head of lettuce?
Old 25-10-2013, 10:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" wrote in message

On 25-Oct-2013, "Julie Bove" wrote:

[...]

Sadly we have no Aldi here.

Old 25-10-2013, 10:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Not difficult at all. But then what would I do with the rest of the head?
Most likely throw it out.

Old 25-10-2013, 10:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
[...]

Because I just wanted a handful of lettuce. I have no use for the rest of
it.

Old 25-10-2013, 11:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote:
Yes, I know I could have purchased the whole head but it would likely go to
waste.

A head of iceberg costs what, maybe $1.79 at most but typically 99...
how difficult is it to shred a few leaves on a cutting board... can't
take more than a minute to shred a big handful. And even if you don't
use it all it's gotta cost less than those pre shredded bags...

I agree with you, Sheldon. That's what I was thinking.
Not only that, a whole head will last longer than a bag of shredded
and it's fresher to start with.

Gary