Larry G

Default Stupid question - shredded lettuce

Can you buy already shredded lettuce at the grocery store? I admit I haven't
looked carefully. I'm trying to make a hamburger like at a restaurant and it
seems no matter what I do, I can't get it close.

I think part of the problem is that a lot of restaurants put shredded
lettuce on their burgers. It seems like when I do it, mine tastes kinda
flat, bland, limpy, instead of crisp like in the restaurants, it's weird.

And, those pre-made beef patties just tastes blah, not at all like the
restaurants, yet, at least at the fast food places, they seem to use
pre-made patties. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Anyway, thanks in advance,

Larry

Dimitri

"Larry G" > wrote in message
> Can you buy already shredded lettuce at the grocery store? I admit I haven't
> looked carefully. I'm trying to make a hamburger like at a restaurant and it
> seems no matter what I do, I can't get it close.
>
> I think part of the problem is that a lot of restaurants put shredded lettuce
> on their burgers. It seems like when I do it, mine tastes kinda flat, bland,
> limpy, instead of crisp like in the restaurants, it's weird.
>
> And, those pre-made beef patties just tastes blah, not at all like the
> restaurants, yet, at least at the fast food places, they seem to use pre-made
> patties. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
>
> Anyway, thanks in advance,
>
> Larry

Purchase DOLE Shredded Iceberg Lettuce stored in the refrigerated area of the
supermarket's produce section. If salads are not kept under refrigeration, it
will affect the product quality.

On the front of each package, the salad is stamped with a "Best if Used by Date"
that should give you at least a few days to store after purchased. The salad is
packaged in a see-through bag. When purchasing a salad, check the date stamped
on the package and look at the salad to make sure it appears fresh. Do not
purchase salads with a considerable number of brown-edged lettuce pieces or if
the lettuce appears excessively wet.

How to Store
DOLE Shredded Iceberg Lettuce should be kept refrigerated at home in its
original bag. The bag is made of specially designed film to keep the salad
fresh. Store the salad in the refrigerator crisper or drawer. Store leftovers in
the original bag, tightly closed, in the refrigerator.

Usage Tips
DOLE Shredded Iceberg Lettuce is washed and ready-to-eat. As a result, it is not
necessary to wash the salad prior to eating. Nevertheless, rinsing your salad
again will not damage the lettuce in any way.

Shredded lettuce is a great product to use when preparing tacos or fajitas and
serve on sandwiches or in wraps.

And

The shredded lettuce in a greasy spoon burger joint is generally made on the
premises. The slicing shredding process will cause the lettuce to brown in a
very short period of time unless treated. One trick often used but unnoticed is
some of the places will mix a small amount of onion shredded to the same size.

Dimitri

Peter Aitken

"Larry G" > wrote in message
> Can you buy already shredded lettuce at the grocery store? I admit I
> haven't looked carefully. I'm trying to make a hamburger like at a
> restaurant and it seems no matter what I do, I can't get it close.
>
> I think part of the problem is that a lot of restaurants put shredded
> lettuce on their burgers. It seems like when I do it, mine tastes kinda
> flat, bland, limpy, instead of crisp like in the restaurants, it's weird.
>
> And, those pre-made beef patties just tastes blah, not at all like the
> restaurants, yet, at least at the fast food places, they seem to use
> pre-made patties. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
>
> Anyway, thanks in advance,
>
> Larry

Like which restaurant? In my experience the only places that use shredded
lettuce are the low-end joints like McDonalds and Wendys. Do you really want
to duplicate that crap at home? The beauty of making a burger at home is
that you can rise above the restaurants. Of course there are some places
that make a great burger, so you should be happy just to equal them!

Why not just get a head of iceburg lettuce and break off a few leaves for
each burger? It will be crisper and tastier than any shredded lettuce!

--
Peter Aitken

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Larry G"
> wrote:

> Can you buy already shredded lettuce at the grocery store?

Yes. Might depend on the store but I've seen it here (Mpls) and at
Sam's (two ays ago).
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 5/8/05.
"Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi Sheraton
Bubba

Larry G wrote:

> Can you buy already shredded lettuce at the grocery store? I admit I
> haven't looked carefully. I'm trying to make a hamburger like at a
> restaurant and it seems no matter what I do, I can't get it close.

I'm begging the question, and I'm really not trying to be an
ass...but....why would you want to? What the matter with a "LarryBurger"?

Bubba

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

Doug Kanter

"Larry G" > wrote in message
> Can you buy already shredded lettuce at the grocery store? I admit I
> haven't looked carefully. I'm trying to make a hamburger like at a
> restaurant and it seems no matter what I do, I can't get it close.
>
> I think part of the problem is that a lot of restaurants put shredded
> lettuce on their burgers. It seems like when I do it, mine tastes kinda
> flat, bland, limpy, instead of crisp like in the restaurants, it's weird.
>
> And, those pre-made beef patties just tastes blah, not at all like the
> restaurants, yet, at least at the fast food places, they seem to use
> pre-made patties. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
>
> Anyway, thanks in advance,
>
> Larry

OK...I've been working in the garden, no dinner yet, and 2 beers, so pardon
my manners, but....are you f..king kidding? Go to this link right now:
http://www.wusthof.com/main.htm

Look at the knives labeled as "cook's knives". That's a knife you can do
almost anything with. Do you have one? What's the last year you sharpened
it? Put the point of the knife on the cutting board and keep it there. Move
the handle up and down as if the point had a hinge attached. Voila. Shredded
lettuce. This assumes the knife is sharp.

You don't wanna buy bagged, shredded lettuce unless you plan on using it
quickly. Shredded means more exposed surface area and faster spoilage. If
this doesn't matter, knock yourself out. But, you can buy romaine lettuce,
cut off the bottom (white-ish) part, shred that, and you'll have much
tastier lettuce than iceberg. Use the top for salad.

Katra

In article > ,
"Peter Aitken" > wrote:

> "Larry G" > wrote in message
> > Can you buy already shredded lettuce at the grocery store? I admit I
> > haven't looked carefully. I'm trying to make a hamburger like at a
> > restaurant and it seems no matter what I do, I can't get it close.
> >
> > I think part of the problem is that a lot of restaurants put shredded
> > lettuce on their burgers. It seems like when I do it, mine tastes kinda
> > flat, bland, limpy, instead of crisp like in the restaurants, it's weird.
> >
> > And, those pre-made beef patties just tastes blah, not at all like the
> > restaurants, yet, at least at the fast food places, they seem to use
> > pre-made patties. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
> >
> > Anyway, thanks in advance,
> >
> > Larry

> Like which restaurant? In my experience the only places that use shredded
> lettuce are the low-end joints like McDonalds and Wendys. Do you really want
> to duplicate that crap at home? The beauty of making a burger at home is
> that you can rise above the restaurants. Of course there are some places
> that make a great burger, so you should be happy just to equal them!
>
> Why not just get a head of iceburg lettuce and break off a few leaves for
> each burger? It will be crisper and tastier than any shredded lettuce!

I use red leaf lettuce...

and REAL cheddar cheese! ;-)

Man, been _ages_ since I had a real burger with bread!
I do lettuce wraps instead.
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Sheldon

Larry G wrote:
> Can you buy already shredded lettuce at the grocery store? I admit I haven't
> looked carefully. I'm trying to make a hamburger like at a restaurant and it
> seems no matter what I do, I can't get it close.
>
> I think part of the problem is that a lot of restaurants put shredded
> lettuce on their burgers. It seems like when I do it, mine tastes kinda
> flat, bland, limpy, instead of crisp like in the restaurants, it's weird.

Why can't you shred lettuce... sharp knife does it easy. If your
lettuce is limp it's probably too warm... refresh shredded lettuce by
soaking for a few minutes in a bowl of ice water, then drain and wrap
shreds in a clean towel to dry for a few minutes in the fridge.

Sheldon

Most large volume restaurants and fast food places use a lettuce
cutter. It looks like a french fry cutter, only with a larger grid to
accomodate a whole head of lettuce.
The lettuce is put in, the handle pulled, and the cut lettuce is dumped
into a bowl of ice-water containing either vinegar or lemon juice to
prevent discoloring.

Son Volt

Larry G wrote:

> Can you buy already shredded lettuce at the grocery store? I admit I
> haven't looked carefully. I'm trying to make a hamburger like at a
> restaurant and it seems no matter what I do, I can't get it close.

I'm not sure if you're indirectly asking *how* to shred lettuce but in
case you are, just take a good long sharp knife and cut the head in
half, lay one half on it's flat end and start cutting long 1/2 inch
slices through it as if you were cutting an onion. Perfectly shredded
lettuce... Takes less than a minute. If you want finer lettuce, cut
thinner slices.
Food For Thought

>Can you buy already shredded lettuce at the grocery store?

Must not be a demand for it in my Stupidmarkets. I can get shredded
carrots, shredded cabbages....but I've never seen shredded lettuce.
Then again, I'd do it myself if I needed it. Not a big fan of
it...Iceberg makes me belch. .;-)

Dave Smith

Food For Thought wrote:

> >Can you buy already shredded lettuce at the grocery store?

> Must not be a demand for it in my Stupidmarkets. I can get shredded
> carrots, shredded cabbages....but I've never seen shredded lettuce.
> Then again, I'd do it myself if I needed it. Not a big fan of
> it...Iceberg makes me belch. .;-)

If you shred lettuce ahead of time the edges turn brown. Not very
appetizing.

Dog3

"Larry G" > wrote in
:

> Can you buy already shredded lettuce at the grocery store? I admit I
> haven't looked carefully. I'm trying to make a hamburger like at a
> restaurant and it seems no matter what I do, I can't get it close.
>
> I think part of the problem is that a lot of restaurants put shredded
> lettuce on their burgers. It seems like when I do it, mine tastes
> kinda flat, bland, limpy, instead of crisp like in the restaurants,
> it's weird.
>
> And, those pre-made beef patties just tastes blah, not at all like the
> restaurants, yet, at least at the fast food places, they seem to use
> pre-made patties. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
>
> Anyway, thanks in advance,
>
> Larry

Okay, are you making patties or salad? The shredded lettuce should be in
the produce section. If you want awesome burgers, buy some steak and grind
it. I do not do this often but fresh ground is terrific. I use chuck steak.

Michael
Larry G

"Son Volt" > wrote in message ...
> I'm not sure if you're indirectly asking *how* to shred lettuce but in
> case you are, just take a good long sharp knife and cut the head in half,
> lay one half on it's flat end and start cutting long 1/2 inch slices
> through it as if you were cutting an onion. Perfectly shredded lettuce...
> Takes less than a minute. If you want finer lettuce, cut thinner slices.

Well, I mean it's not like "I have a friend, and he needs to buy shredded
lettuce" <grin>. If I wanted to ask, I'd ask directly, but yeah, I'll
definitely take any hints/suggestions, yeah. Honestly, though, if I can
save a few minutes by buying it pre-shredded, why not.

But thanks to you and everyone who gave suggestions and advice. Will take it
to heart and look into it.

Larry

Larry G

"Bubba" > wrote in message ...
> I'm begging the question, and I'm really not trying to be an
> ass...but....why would you want to? What the matter with a "LarryBurger"?

You're not an ass. What I'm trying to replicate are the burgers that are
served at a local non-chain burger joint. You know the type of place where
it looks like it should be condemned by the health department, but the food
is so damn good? That's the kind.

This local place makes the best grilled burgers, for a buck 59. Great deal.
They put a 1000 island, shredded lettuce mixed with onions mix, beef patty,
pickle and it tastes great!

But, whenever I try, I just cannot get it. The pre-made beef patty (which is
apparently what the local joint makes it with) just doesn't turn out as good
and the salad is bland. But I do fry the patty. I'm really not sure if
grilling makes a huge difference, maybe that's the secret. Perhaps
frying/grilling with Worstershire sauce? Haven't tried that yet, though I've
got some sitting in the cupboard.

I'd also love to mimic a Wendy's burger or a Burger King Whopper or a Carl's
Jr $6 or Denny's burger. I don't know these places do, but I can never get
my own burgers to taste anywhere close.

Now if I make a basic ground beef patty I make myself from scratch, mayo,
mustard, ketchup, and a pickle, it tastes just fine. I just can't mimic a
restaurant quality burger, and it bugs me.

Larry

Bubba

Larry G wrote:

> "Bubba" > wrote in message ...
>
>> I'm begging the question, and I'm really not trying to be an
>> ass...but....why would you want to? What the matter with a
>> "LarryBurger"?

> You're not an ass. What I'm trying to replicate are the burgers that
> are served at a local non-chain burger joint. You know the type of
> place where it looks like it should be condemned by the health
> department, but the food is so damn good? That's the kind.
>
> This local place makes the best grilled burgers, for a buck 59. Great
> deal. They put a 1000 island, shredded lettuce mixed with onions mix,
> beef patty, pickle and it tastes great!
>
> But, whenever I try, I just cannot get it. The pre-made beef patty
> (which is apparently what the local joint makes it with) just doesn't
> turn out as good and the salad is bland. But I do fry the patty. I'm
> really not sure if grilling makes a huge difference, maybe that's the
> secret. Perhaps frying/grilling with Worstershire sauce? Haven't tried
> that yet, though I've got some sitting in the cupboard.
>
> I'd also love to mimic a Wendy's burger or a Burger King Whopper or a
> Carl's Jr $6 or Denny's burger. I don't know these places do, but I
> can never get my own burgers to taste anywhere close.
>
> Now if I make a basic ground beef patty I make myself from scratch,
> mayo, mustard, ketchup, and a pickle, it tastes just fine. I just
> can't mimic a restaurant quality burger, and it bugs me.
>
> Larry

LOL! I know the kind of place you're talking about and have eaten some
pretty good burgers from those places.
I would think grilling would make a big difference...as would
Worchestershire. Could have MSG on it, too.
Have you asked the cook/owner?
Also, there are some cookbooks out that mimic some of the better known
foods from chains, etc. Your Mom- and- Pop place probably won't be in
there, but one of the recipes might be close enough that you could take
it the rest of the way.

Good luck!

Bubba

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

Bill

On Tue, 31 May 2005 22:00:22 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

>Like which restaurant? In my experience the only places that use shredded
>lettuce are the low-end joints like McDonalds and Wendys. Do you really want
>to duplicate that crap at home? The beauty of making a burger at home is
>that you can rise above the restaurants. Of course there are some places
>that make a great burger, so you should be happy just to equal them!

Have you been to Carl's Jr. or Hardees lately? The hamburger Gods have
blessed them and they are now churning out the best burgers on the
planet...for real!

Bill

Bill

On Tue, 31 May 2005 18:07:03 -0400, Bubba
> wrote:

>Larry G wrote:
>
>> Can you buy already shredded lettuce at the grocery store? I admit I
>> haven't looked carefully. I'm trying to make a hamburger like at a
>> restaurant and it seems no matter what I do, I can't get it close.

>I'm begging the question, and I'm really not trying to be an
>ass...but....why would you want to? What the matter with a "LarryBurger"?
>
>Bubba
>
>--

it's interesting you ask that question! I used to frequent a
particular steak house that made the tossed salads in a way that
required the shredding of the lettuce. Somehow the shredded lettuce
picks up the flavors of the salad dressing and other components of the
salad to give it a special taste in your mouth. Try it you'll like it!

Bill

Bubba

Bill wrote:

>On Tue, 31 May 2005 18:07:03 -0400, Bubba
> wrote:
>

>>Larry G wrote:
>>

>>>Can you buy already shredded lettuce at the grocery store? I admit I
>>>haven't looked carefully. I'm trying to make a hamburger like at a
>>>restaurant and it seems no matter what I do, I can't get it close.
>>>

>>I'm begging the question, and I'm really not trying to be an
>>ass...but....why would you want to? What the matter with a "LarryBurger"?
>>
>>Bubba
>>
>>--
>>

>it's interesting you ask that question! I used to frequent a
>particular steak house that made the tossed salads in a way that
>required the shredding of the lettuce. Somehow the shredded lettuce
>picks up the flavors of the salad dressing and other components of the
>salad to give it a special taste in your mouth. Try it you'll like it!
>
>Bill

I'll try anything once....twice if I like it!
May break out the mandoline and give 'er a go.

Thanks,
Bubba

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

AlleyGator

"Larry G" > wrote:

>Can you buy already shredded lettuce at the grocery store? I admit I haven't
>looked carefully. I'm trying to make a hamburger like at a restaurant and it
>seems no matter what I do, I can't get it close.

It's not a stupid question, Larry. I've never actually seen (maybe I
never looked for it) shredded lettuce already bagged. But, at almost
any grocery store, in the "untensils" aisle for about 2 bucks, you can
buy a grater of one kind or another. Just cut the head into manageble
pieces and rake it across the grater - mind your knuckles. Actually,
just like cabbage, you don;t even need a grater. Cut it into wedges
and hold each one of them on a cutting board - the angle will be
obvious. Take a fairly sharp knife, slice thinly and you will have
your shredded lettuce.

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.
Son Volt

Larry G wrote:

> I'd also love to mimic a Wendy's burger or a Burger King Whopper or a
> Carl's Jr $6 or Denny's burger. I don't know these places do, but I can
> never get my own burgers to taste anywhere close.

Oh, well then 100% chuck isn't even gonna come close to what you're
looking for. You'll need to mix in some soy and some rat droppings
before dropping your burger on the floor.

~john
Larry G

"Son Volt" > wrote in message ...
> Larry G wrote:
>
>> I'd also love to mimic a Wendy's burger or a Burger King Whopper or a
>> Carl's Jr $6 or Denny's burger. I don't know these places do, but I can
>> never get my own burgers to taste anywhere close.

> Oh, well then 100% chuck isn't even gonna come close to what you're
> looking for. You'll need to mix in some soy and some rat droppings before
> dropping your burger on the floor.

Let's not forget the going to the toilet without washing your hands, and
those rumors about the ingredients about what's really in the mayo. ;-)
Enough thinking about this might make me go vegan. :-P

I think you know what I mean though. I don't think there's anything wrong
with attempting to attempt restaurant quality before going on to bigger and
better things. I can make a mean taco and burrito. I just need to work on my
hamburger recipe.

Homemade fries I'd like to try my hand at as well.

Larry

Janet Bostwick

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
. ..
snip
> The shredded lettuce in a greasy spoon burger joint is generally made on
> the premises. The slicing shredding process will cause the lettuce to
> brown in a very short period of time unless treated. One trick often used
> but unnoticed is some of the places will mix a small amount of onion
> shredded to the same size.
>
> Dimitri

Not at Burger King. . .they get two types, one for salads and one for
burgers. . .both arrive in huge bags.
At least around here the stores get it in bags.
Janet

Janet Bostwick

"Larry G" > wrote in message
> Can you buy already shredded lettuce at the grocery store? I admit I
> haven't looked carefully. I'm trying to make a hamburger like at a
> restaurant and it seems no matter what I do, I can't get it close.
>
> I think part of the problem is that a lot of restaurants put shredded
> lettuce on their burgers. It seems like when I do it, mine tastes kinda
> flat, bland, limpy, instead of crisp like in the restaurants, it's weird.
>
> And, those pre-made beef patties just tastes blah, not at all like the
> restaurants, yet, at least at the fast food places, they seem to use
> pre-made patties. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
>
> Anyway, thanks in advance,
>
> Larry

Part of your problem may be the meat you are using. Try using a higher fat
content ground beef and grill it, that will change the taste a lot.
Janet

Shawn Hearn

In article >,
"Larry G" > wrote:

> Can you buy already shredded lettuce at the grocery store? I admit I haven't
> looked carefully. I'm trying to make a hamburger like at a restaurant and it
> seems no matter what I do, I can't get it close.

I live just outside of Philadelphia and lots of grocery stores sell
shredded lettuce in plastic bags. Its not hard to find.

> I think part of the problem is that a lot of restaurants put shredded
> lettuce on their burgers. It seems like when I do it, mine tastes kinda
> flat, bland, limpy, instead of crisp like in the restaurants, it's weird.
>
> And, those pre-made beef patties just tastes blah, not at all like the
> restaurants, yet, at least at the fast food places, they seem to use
> pre-made patties. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Buy whole lettuce and run it through a food processor when you need
shredded lettuce. That's what I used to do when I worked in a restaurant.
As for the patties, use good quality meat and don't compress the meat
too much.
Doug Kanter

"Larry G" > wrote in message
> "Son Volt" > wrote in message ...
>> Larry G wrote:
>>
>>> I'd also love to mimic a Wendy's burger or a Burger King Whopper or a
>>> Carl's Jr $6 or Denny's burger. I don't know these places do, but I can
>>> never get my own burgers to taste anywhere close.

>> Oh, well then 100% chuck isn't even gonna come close to what you're
>> looking for. You'll need to mix in some soy and some rat droppings before
>> dropping your burger on the floor.

> Let's not forget the going to the toilet without washing your hands, and
> those rumors about the ingredients about what's really in the mayo. ;-)
> Enough thinking about this might make me go vegan. :-P
>
> I think you know what I mean though. I don't think there's anything wrong
> with attempting to attempt restaurant quality before going on to bigger
> and better things. I can make a mean taco and burrito. I just need to work
> on my hamburger recipe.
>
> Homemade fries I'd like to try my hand at as well.
>
> Larry

How about spending a few minutes in the spice department of the supermarket,
checking out some of the pre-mixed blends intended for meat? McCormick makes
a few. You can probably come up with something better than the restaurants
make.

Damsel

"Larry G" > said:

>Homemade fries I'd like to try my hand at as well.

I don't recall the particulars about temperature and length of time for
baking them, however ...

Just cut them into the size fries you want. Dry them good on a few layers
of paper towels. Place them into a large container with a lid. Add a
couple tablespoons of oil, put on the lid, and shake to coat the potatoes
evenly with oil. Lay the taters (not touching each other) on a jelly roll
pan or similar. Season if desired, and bake until browned to your
satisfaction. I'm thinking 375F - 425F or thereabouts.

Carol

--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:
cathyxyz

Dimitri wrote:

> And
>
> The shredded lettuce in a greasy spoon burger joint is generally made on the
> premises. The slicing shredding process will cause the lettuce to brown in a
> very short period of time unless treated. One trick often used but unnoticed is
> some of the places will mix a small amount of onion shredded to the same size.
>
> Dimitri

I hadn't heard the onion trick, but someone mentioned lemon juice to
keep it fresh. Does this work well?

Years ago my SIL wrapped me over the knuckles for shredding lettuce with
a knife - she was a caterer, and had been on some fancy cooking courses
- she said that "Lettuce must be torn, not cut with a knife. If you cut
it with a knife it will go brown on the edges and spoil". I still feel
guilty every time I take a knife to the poor lettuce Luckily, it
doesn't hang around long enough to "spoil" in our house - it gets eaten
rather quickly!

I also like full lettuce leaves on a burger, though.
Cheers
Cathy

--
I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it

Sheldon

cathyxyz wrote:
> Dimitri wrote:
>

> > And
> >
> > The shredded lettuce in a greasy spoon burger joint is generally made on the
> > premises. The slicing shredding process will cause the lettuce to brown in a
> > very short period of time unless treated. One trick often used but unnoticed is
> > some of the places will mix a small amount of onion shredded to the same size.
> >
> > Dimitri
> >

> I hadn't heard the onion trick, but someone mentioned lemon juice to
> keep it fresh. Does this work well?
>
> Years ago my SIL wrapped me over the knuckles for shredding lettuce with
> a knife - she was a caterer, and had been on some fancy cooking courses
> - she said that "Lettuce must be torn, not cut with a knife. If you cut
> it with a knife it will go brown on the edges and spoil". I still feel
> guilty every time I take a knife to the poor lettuce Luckily, it
> doesn't hang around long enough to "spoil" in our house - it gets eaten
> rather quickly!

Generally leaf lettuce isn't shredded

> I also like full lettuce leaves on a burger, though.
> Cheers

Shredded iceberg is pretty gauche, but that's one reason why high
volume joints shred iceberg, the other is because shredding enables
them to use the entire head... I prefer whole leaves on a burger too.
I like the outter icberg leaves whole or torn. The inner portion I
like cut into chunks for a salad, sops up the dressing like little
sponges, yummy. Folks often poo-poo iceberg because of it's low
nutritional value but there's something to be said for texture and
iceberg has the best.

Sheldon

Damsel

"Sheldon" > said:

>Shredded iceberg is pretty gauche, but that's one reason why high
>volume joints shred iceberg, the other is because shredding enables
>them to use the entire head... I prefer whole leaves on a burger too.
>I like the outter icberg leaves whole or torn. The inner portion I
>like cut into chunks for a salad, sops up the dressing like little
>sponges, yummy. Folks often poo-poo iceberg because of it's low
>nutritional value but there's something to be said for texture and
>iceberg has the best.

I'm a fan of shredded iceberg, too. I love using it for salads. Hate it
on burgers. I want a whole leaf as well.

Has anyone had experience growing iceberg lettuce? We do have bunny
rabbits around here. Would this be a hopeless endeavor?

Carol

--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:
http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International:
http://www.thehungersite.com/
Gregory Morrow

Sheldon wrote:

> Shredded iceberg is pretty gauche, but that's one reason why high
> volume joints shred iceberg, the other is because shredding enables
> them to use the entire head... I prefer whole leaves on a burger too.
> I like the outter icberg leaves whole or torn. The inner portion I
> like cut into chunks for a salad, sops up the dressing like little
> sponges, yummy. Folks often poo-poo iceberg because of it's low
> nutritional value but there's something to be said for texture and
> iceberg has the best.

Besides which who buys lettuce for "nutritional value", it's mostly
water in any case.

The other day someone was haranguing me for liking iceberg, "Oh it
doesn't have any nutrients, blah blah blah...". Of course this person
is a strict vegan who was urging me to buy *tofu* baloney for the
baloney sandwiches I like, so go figure...who do ya think is the one
"full of baloney"...lol ;-p

In warm weather *nothing* beats iceberg for a crisp cool salad...and
it's the best lettuce for sammiches too...I go through a coupla heads a
week at least.

When I was a kid we grew that butterleaf (I think?) lettuce, it had the
texture of a wet kleenex, god but did I hate that stuff..you have to
combine that soft - textured lettuce with something more substantial in
a salad, by itself it's terrible...

--
Best
Greg

You have to do it drunk at 3AM.

-bwg

Gregory Morrow

> You have to do it drunk at 3AM.

I'm too old to be drunk at 3AM - these days it's about 7PM for me ;--p

--
Best
Greg

Peter Aitken

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Sheldon wrote:
>
>> Shredded iceberg is pretty gauche, but that's one reason why high
>> volume joints shred iceberg, the other is because shredding enables
>> them to use the entire head... I prefer whole leaves on a burger too.
>> I like the outter icberg leaves whole or torn. The inner portion I
>> like cut into chunks for a salad, sops up the dressing like little
>> sponges, yummy. Folks often poo-poo iceberg because of it's low
>> nutritional value but there's something to be said for texture and
>> iceberg has the best.

> Besides which who buys lettuce for "nutritional value", it's mostly
> water in any case.
>
> The other day someone was haranguing me for liking iceberg, "Oh it
> doesn't have any nutrients, blah blah blah...". Of course this person
> is a strict vegan who was urging me to buy *tofu* baloney for the
> baloney sandwiches I like, so go figure...who do ya think is the one
> "full of baloney"...lol ;-p
>
> In warm weather *nothing* beats iceberg for a crisp cool salad...and
> it's the best lettuce for sammiches too...I go through a coupla heads a
> week at least.
>
> When I was a kid we grew that butterleaf (I think?) lettuce, it had the
> texture of a wet kleenex, god but did I hate that stuff..you have to
> combine that soft - textured lettuce with something more substantial in
> a salad, by itself it's terrible...

Iceberg does get a bad rap. Much of what is sold in markets is old and
tired, but when fresh it is indeed the best for sandwiches. I am also fond
of a wedge of iceberg with homemade 1000 Island dressing.

--
Peter Aitken

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 02 Jun 2005 01:42:59p, Peter Aitken wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>>

>> Sheldon wrote:
>>
>>> Shredded iceberg is pretty gauche, but that's one reason why high
>>> volume joints shred iceberg, the other is because shredding enables
>>> them to use the entire head... I prefer whole leaves on a burger too.
>>> I like the outter icberg leaves whole or torn. The inner portion I
>>> like cut into chunks for a salad, sops up the dressing like little
>>> sponges, yummy. Folks often poo-poo iceberg because of it's low
>>> nutritional value but there's something to be said for texture and
>>> iceberg has the best.

>> Besides which who buys lettuce for "nutritional value", it's mostly
>> water in any case.
>>
>> The other day someone was haranguing me for liking iceberg, "Oh it
>> doesn't have any nutrients, blah blah blah...". Of course this person
>> is a strict vegan who was urging me to buy *tofu* baloney for the
>> baloney sandwiches I like, so go figure...who do ya think is the one
>> "full of baloney"...lol ;-p
>>
>> In warm weather *nothing* beats iceberg for a crisp cool salad...and
>> it's the best lettuce for sammiches too...I go through a coupla heads a
>> week at least.
>>
>> When I was a kid we grew that butterleaf (I think?) lettuce, it had the
>> texture of a wet kleenex, god but did I hate that stuff..you have to
>> combine that soft - textured lettuce with something more substantial in
>> a salad, by itself it's terrible...
>>

> Iceberg does get a bad rap. Much of what is sold in markets is old and
> tired, but when fresh it is indeed the best for sandwiches. I am also
> fond of a wedge of iceberg with homemade 1000 Island dressing.

I also like a wedge with chunky blue cheese dressing.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Dan Abel

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> sponges, yummy. Folks often poo-poo iceberg because of it's low
> nutritional value but there's something to be said for texture and
> iceberg has the best.

The following are for 100g and are from:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Lettuce, iceberg (includes crisphead types), raw

New Search

Scientific Name: Lactuca sativa

NDB No: 11252
Nutrient
Units
Value per
100 grams of
edible portion
Number
of Data
Points
Std.
Error
Proximates
Water
95.64
44
0.11
Energy
kcal
14
0
0
Energy
kj
58
0
0
Protein
0.90
23
0.034
Total lipid (fat)
0.14
30
0.01
Ash
0.36
23
0.018
Carbohydrate, by difference
2.97
0
0
Fiber, total dietary
1.2
14
0.052
Sugars, total
1.76
5
0.073
Sucrose
0.05
8
0.013
Glucose (dextrose)
0.91
8
0.061
Fructose
1.00
8
0.06
Lactose
0.00
5
0
Maltose
0.00
5
0
Galactose
0.00
4
0
Minerals
Calcium, Ca
mg
18
98
0.43
Iron, Fe
mg
0.41
97
0.041
Magnesium, Mg
mg
7
99
0.173
Phosphorus, P
mg
20
98
0.404
Potassium, K
mg
141
98
3.016
Sodium, Na
mg
10
91
0.544
Zinc, Zn
mg
0.15
93
0.004
Copper, Cu
mg
0.025
86
0.002
Manganese, Mn
mg
0.125
89
0.004
Selenium, Se
mcg
0.1
63
0.025
Vitamins
Vitamin C, total ascorbic acid
mg
2.8
23
0.167
Thiamin
mg
0.041
23
0.003
Riboflavin
mg
0.025
23
0.001
Niacin
mg
0.123
13
0.015
Pantothenic acid
mg
0.091
13
0.015
Vitamin B-6
mg
0.042
23
0.002
Folate, total
mcg
29
23
3.832
Folic acid
mcg
0
0
0
Folate, food
mcg
29
23
3.832
Folate, DFE
mcg_DFE
29
0
0
Vitamin B-12
mcg
0.00
0
0
Vitamin A, IU
IU
502
0
0
Vitamin A, RAE
mcg_RAE
25
0
0
Retinol
mcg
0
0
0
Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol)
mg
0.18
13
0.016
Cholesterol
mg
0
0
0

Scientific Name: Lactuca sativa

NDB No: 11250
Nutrient
Units
Value per
100 grams of
edible portion
Number
of Data
Points
Std.
Error
Proximates
Water
95.63
8
0.306
Energy
kcal
13
0
0
Energy
kj
55
0
0
Protein
1.35
8
0.096
Total lipid (fat)
0.22
8
0.037
Ash
0.57
8
0.037
Carbohydrate, by difference
2.23
0
0
Fiber, total dietary
1.1
4
0.229
Sugars, total
0.94
0
0
Sucrose
0.00
4
0
Glucose (dextrose)
0.43
4
0.09
Fructose
0.51
4
0.087
Lactose
0.00
4
0
Maltose
0.00
4
0
Galactose
0.00
4
0
Minerals
Calcium, Ca
mg
35
8
4.11
Iron, Fe
mg
1.24
8
0.254
Magnesium, Mg
mg
13
8
1.379
Phosphorus, P
mg
33
8
1.389
Potassium, K
mg
238
8
20.187
Sodium, Na
mg
5
4
2.818
Zinc, Zn
mg
0.20
8
0.012
Copper, Cu
mg
0.016
8
0.002
Manganese, Mn
mg
0.179
8
0.029
Selenium, Se
mcg
0.6
8
0.143
Vitamins
Vitamin C, total ascorbic acid
mg
3.7
8
0.717
Thiamin
mg
0.057
8
0.005
Riboflavin
mg
0.062
8
0.005
Niacin
mg
0.357
8
0.025
Pantothenic acid
mg
0.150
8
0.009
Vitamin B-6
mg
0.082
8
0.013
Folate, total
mcg
73
3
25.427
Folic acid
mcg
0
0
0
Folate, food
mcg
73
3
25.427
Folate, DFE
mcg_DFE
73
0
0
Vitamin B-12
mcg
0.00
0
0
Vitamin A, IU
IU
3312
0
0
Vitamin A, RAE
mcg_RAE
166
0
0
Retinol
mcg
0
0
0
Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol)
mg
0.18
4
0.051

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

~patches~

Sheldon wrote:

> cathyxyz wrote:
>
>>Dimitri wrote:
>>

>>>And
>>>
>>>The shredded lettuce in a greasy spoon burger joint is generally made on the
>>>premises. The slicing shredding process will cause the lettuce to brown in a
>>>very short period of time unless treated. One trick often used but unnoticed is
>>>some of the places will mix a small amount of onion shredded to the same size.
>>>
>>>Dimitri
>>>

>>I hadn't heard the onion trick, but someone mentioned lemon juice to
>>keep it fresh. Does this work well?
>>
>>Years ago my SIL wrapped me over the knuckles for shredding lettuce with
>>a knife - she was a caterer, and had been on some fancy cooking courses
>>- she said that "Lettuce must be torn, not cut with a knife. If you cut
>>it with a knife it will go brown on the edges and spoil". I still feel
>>guilty every time I take a knife to the poor lettuce Luckily, it
>>doesn't hang around long enough to "spoil" in our house - it gets eaten
>>rather quickly!

> Generally leaf lettuce isn't shredded
>

>>I also like full lettuce leaves on a burger, though.
>>Cheers

> Shredded iceberg is pretty gauche, but that's one reason why high
> volume joints shred iceberg, the other is because shredding enables
> them to use the entire head... I prefer whole leaves on a burger too.
> I like the outter icberg leaves whole or torn. The inner portion I
> like cut into chunks for a salad, sops up the dressing like little
> sponges, yummy. Folks often poo-poo iceberg because of it's low
> nutritional value but there's something to be said for texture and
> iceberg has the best.

We have basically given up on iceberg lettuce except on the very rare
few occasions nothing else is available. Our favourite greens for
salads and sandwiches is mesclun mix. Other lettuces we use a fair
amount of are romain, red, salad bowl, and grand rapids. Spinach makes
for a nice salad too. We eat salads daily so go through a lot of
lettuce. Iceberg does have a nice texture though. I find it lacking in
flavour though.

> Sheldon

Sheldon

~patches~ wrote:

> Iceberg does have a nice texture though.
> I find it lacking in flavour though.

That's what salad dressing is for though.

Sheldon though