Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Storing Corning Ware

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 02:27:10 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 9/23/2013 4:40 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> One can always find a place to install some sort of cabinet, needn't
>> be in the kitchen either... pots can be stored in a garage or even a
>> garden shed, cold/heat won't affect them. Very nice sturdy metal
>> cabinets are available that don't even cost much. No storage space is
>> the lamest excuse... one can always give up a corner of a bedroom
>> closet to store a few nesting pots... I store my large soup pots at
>> the bottom of a hall closet, actually it's my linen closet... no law
>> says only linens can go in a linen closet... the entire top shelf is
>> where I store all my light bulbs.

>I wish I still had enough space between my fridge and the wall because
>this would be perfect. My new fridge is wider. This is the same
>company I bought the free-standing pantry from.
>
><http://www.cymax.com/Venture-Horizon-White-Thin-Man-Pantry-Cabinet-4036-11-WH.htm>

For kitchen items I would prefer something with doors (stays cleaner),
and deeper so it can accomodate bulky items like pots... something
like this can be mounted most anywhe
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-716201...ref=pd_cp_hi_0
I store my seldom used cookware in ordinary cardboard cartons on steel
shelving units in my basement. And it's not really out of the way as
I'm down there several times every day, I have a second fridge there
and my cat's litter pan. I also have a second clothes washing machine
in my basement, a commercial Kenmore, great for laundering over sized
items like comforters and floor mats. I can't comprehend how folks
would choose to live in a house with no basement, living on a slab is
like living in their garage... living in a garden shed is better, at
least most are up off the ground. I wouldn't like living in my barn
either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 02:59:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Cheryl" > wrote in message
web.com...
>> On 9/23/2013 4:40 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>> One can always find a place to install some sort of cabinet, needn't
>>> be in the kitchen either... pots can be stored in a garage or even a
>>> garden shed, cold/heat won't affect them. Very nice sturdy metal
>>> cabinets are available that don't even cost much. No storage space is
>>> the lamest excuse... one can always give up a corner of a bedroom
>>> closet to store a few nesting pots... I store my large soup pots at
>>> the bottom of a hall closet, actually it's my linen closet... no law
>>> says only linens can go in a linen closet... the entire top shelf is
>>> where I store all my light bulbs.

>> I wish I still had enough space between my fridge and the wall because
>> this would be perfect. My new fridge is wider. This is the same company
>> I bought the free-standing pantry from.
>>
>> <http://www.cymax.com/Venture-Horizon-White-Thin-Man-Pantry-Cabinet-4036-11-WH.htm>

>I wanted one of those but it wouldn't fit in my kitchen either. There is a
>very small amount of space on either side of my fridge. There is a fly
>swatter on one side. Had some bed trays on the other but they would never
>stay there and then it occurred to me that nobody will ever use them so I
>got rid of them.
>
>I just wish I could find a good place for my tea! I actually have to
>replace it all again because it was old. I don't think I drank much tea at
>all last year. Have a cute little wooden cabinet with ceramic drawers
>but... The tea that I have been buying does not come in individually
>wrapped bags or is loose so it won't work for me any more.

I have a huge collection of teas, I transfer it to metal canisters
with tight fitting lids or simply use glass jars with screw caps.
There are rectangular metal tea cannisters one can buy that are
inexpensive, attractively decorated, and take little space (check your
99˘ store). Here ya go, tins are reusable:
http://www.amazon.com/China-Loose-Le...sters%2C+metal

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 02:29:32 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 9/23/2013 4:29 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 10:38:43 +0100, S Viemeister

>>> Different strokes. My pot rack isn't for decoration. My most used
>>> pots and pans are on it. For people who don't want to dig around,
>>> unstacking their pots & pans to get at one in the middle, but don't
>>> want to put them out on display - here's a solution
>>> http://glideware.com/features they've even tackled the lid issue.

>That's pretty stupid. Who has pans all of the same size like that? My
>set sure wouldn't hang so easily like that.

I concur... that's the dumbest contraption. How difficult is it to
figure where to store pots, I bet these lame brains get all befuddled
when they need to store their panties. No storage space is the lamest
excuse... in a pinch there is plenty of space to store large cookware
under a bed... there are even pull out storage drawers/containers made
especially for under a bed.
http://www.amazon.com/Ikea-Skubb-Bla...e+drawers+ikea

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 02:47:34 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 9/24/2013 12:11 AM, wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately my kitchen is small with very, very little storage
>> space and the Calphalon would not fit in my then electric stove
>> storage drawer. My pot rack is hanging in front of my good size
>> kitchen window. For ME the rack is perfect, within easy reach, great
>> storage, and no schmutz. I had not thought about it until it was
>> mounted and pots and pans were hanging but they do look good hanging
>> and on display.

>Small kitchen, too, and I wish I had space to hang up my pots and pans.
> It would leave storage for other things if I could clear out the
>cabinet they're in. Since they are in one cabinet and don't really take
>advantage of the space, I have to find room for other things.

There is no reason one can't store large cookware in free cardboard
cartons from the liquor store and slide them under their bed. Talk
about small storage space, for the five years I lived in CA everything
I owned fit in my Chevy, most kitchen stuff lived in shoe boxes. And
that was nothing, aboard ship everything I owned fit into a locker
that was like six cubic feet. I'm positive that the people who are
bitching about lack of storage space simply own too much junk that
truly belongs in the trash.. like the fools who store literally
garbage in their freezer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 03:22:46 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Cheryl" > wrote in message
web.com...
>> On 9/24/2013 12:11 AM, wrote:
>>
>>> Unfortunately my kitchen is small with very, very little storage
>>> space and the Calphalon would not fit in my then electric stove
>>> storage drawer. My pot rack is hanging in front of my good size
>>> kitchen window. For ME the rack is perfect, within easy reach, great
>>> storage, and no schmutz. I had not thought about it until it was
>>> mounted and pots and pans were hanging but they do look good hanging
>>> and on display.

>> Small kitchen, too, and I wish I had space to hang up my pots and pans.
>> It would leave storage for other things if I could clear out the
>> cabinet they're in. Since they are in one cabinet and don't really take
>> advantage of the space, I have to find room for other things.

>Doesn't it make you wonder who designs these kitchens? Clearly someone who
>doesn't cook!

An awful lot of people who choose to live in such homes don't cook
much, or not at all, they hate to cook... I know people who eat out or
do take-out or buy only frozen fully prepared meals that only need to
be nuked... the biggest cooking they do is maybe a toasted English
muffin. If you like to cook WTF did you choose to live in a home with
a tiny kitchen... you're the imbecile, not the home designer. My ex
in-laws didn't cook, they lived in a small co-op apartment, their
bathroom was twice the size of their tiny galley kitchen. They ate
out and ordered enough to bring home left overs, or they did take out
from delis, Chinese, and such... they didn't even own a coffee pot,
each morning they got coffee at a 7-11. In fact they didn't even own
a salt n' pepper shaker. They never shopped for groceries.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 08:06:31 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 9/24/2013 7:19 AM, Ophelia wrote:>
> >
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote

> >> I'm lucky that my kitchen is a decent size, and when I remodeled,
> >> I put a base cabinet with slide out shelves for the pots and lids.
> >> No yoga moves needed to get the pot out of the back.

> > Just think of the exercise you would get

>Heh. Who needs yoga class?
>
>I get enough of that crawling around after my crazy cat.

HAH! If you're crawling around after your cat it's your cat who
thinks you're the crazy one. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 05:19:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> [...]

>> space.
>>
>> I'm lucky that my kitchen is a decent size, and when I remodeled,
>> I put a base cabinet with slide out shelves for the pots and lids.
>> No yoga moves needed to get the pot out of the back.

>Do you have a problem with stuff falling off the back? I seem to have less
>problems with my pot and pan pullouts but a major problem with the one where
>I keep some of the less often used things like my turkey roaster. I had
>tortilla and pancake warmers in there, various foil pans, popsicle molds and
>other stuff. I went through it once again and tossed a lot of that stuff in
>the give away box. Lots of that stuff would drop off the back. Same goes
>for my pullouts for things like wrap and foil. I realize that a pullout
>isn't the best place to put those things but all of my lower cupboards are
>either pullouts, lazy Susan corner units or the narrow one for baking
>sheets. And the few upper cabinets that I have are full of other stuff.
>
>I think part of my problem with the one for the foil and plastic is that the
>stuff tends to get lost down there, particularly on the lower one. I think
>I am out or running low on something and then at some point later, I'll find
>it! I probably have a lifetime supply of brown paper lunch sacks. Not that
>I have all that many of them but we rarely use them. Daughter needed them
>in elementary school for field trip lunches. And then there is the
>restaurant supply box of Crock-Pot liners when I couldn't find them in any
>store. Of course they magically became available everywhere again about a
>year after I bought them.
>
>Last time I cleaned that out (which was a couple of weeks ago), I found
>numerous little boxes of snack and sandwich bags (some seasonal) that had
>been opened and partly used. I try to buy these when on sale and often they
>are B1G1F or some such thing. So I would have extra. I think what was
>happening was that someone would need a bag and not see any because the open
>box had bailed over the back of the pullout. So now, we have boxes stuffed
>with an assortment of bags of differing brands and patterns. And most of
>the extra unopened boxes are now in the garage. I won't need any of these
>things or pocket packets of Kleenex for a *very* long time!
>
>At any rate... When the stuff does bail over the back, I need more than
>yoga to get it out. Involves me sitting on the floor, various bodily
>contortions, the use of a flashlight and often a reaching tool. When the
>danged tortilla warmer went back there, I had to involve several other
>kitchen tools to get it out. It flipped upside down and it was thick enough
>that the reaching tool couldn't get it. And flat enough that I couldn't get
>it with my hand. It was too far back because in order to get in there, I
>have to open the bottom pullout. Can't remember exactly how I did get that
>but there was a lot of swearing involved!

Sheesh, isn't there anything that is not problematic for you... one
can only imagine the problem you had inserting tampons.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet <nowhere.uk> wrote:
Brooklyn1 writes:

>> I know people who have a two car garage but have so much
>> junk they can't seem to part with that they have to park their
>> vehicles in the driveway... with some the garage is so crammed full
>> they can't close the garage door... and it's ALL trash!

> Oooh no, my husband says it will all come in useful one day.

Probably what he says about you too. hehe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 05:19:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> Do you have a problem with stuff falling off the back? I seem to have less
> problems with my pot and pan pullouts but a major problem with the one where
> I keep some of the less often used things like my turkey roaster. I had
> tortilla and pancake warmers in there, various foil pans, popsicle molds and
> other stuff. I went through it once again and tossed a lot of that stuff in
> the give away box. Lots of that stuff would drop off the back. Same goes
> for my pullouts for things like wrap and foil. I realize that a pullout
> isn't the best place to put those things but all of my lower cupboards are
> either pullouts, lazy Susan corner units or the narrow one for baking
> sheets. And the few upper cabinets that I have are full of other stuff.
>
> I think part of my problem with the one for the foil and plastic is that the
> stuff tends to get lost down there, particularly on the lower one. I think
> I am out or running low on something and then at some point later, I'll find

Have you thought about putting something at the back of your pull out
shelf to act as a wall that would prevent it from happening? You
could start with a piece of cardboard and see how it goes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On 9/23/2013 4:29 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> >

> > "sf" > wrote in message

> >> Different strokes. My pot rack isn't for decoration. My most used
> >> pots and pans are on it. For people who don't want to dig around,
> >> unstacking their pots & pans to get at one in the middle, but don't
> >> want to put them out on display - here's a solution
> >> http://glideware.com/features they've even tackled the lid issue.

> That's pretty stupid. Who has pans all of the same size like that? My
> set sure wouldn't hang so easily like that.

I guess you didn't look very closely at the set up (the hooks move)
before you commented and didn't think about the logic of what you just
said.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2013 12:34 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 08:06:31 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:

>> I get enough of that crawling around after my crazy cat.

> HAH! If you're crawling around after your cat it's your cat who
> thinks you're the crazy one. LOL

No doubt about it. Truer words were never spoken. She has
no idea she's the strangest cat I ever had.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2013 10:14 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> I can't comprehend how folks
> would choose to live in a house with no basement, living on a slab is
> like living in their garage... living in a garden shed is better, at
> least most are up off the ground. I wouldn't like living in my barn
> either.

Basements seem to depend on geography as well as the age of the house.

As for a house built on a slab, the cement *is* covered with something,
you know. Carpet, hardwood, laminate flooring, tile, etc. I've never
known anyone to have a bare cement floor *except* in an unfinished area
of their basement. That was in houses above the Mason-Dixon line.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
news
> Sheesh, isn't there anything that is not problematic for you... one
> can only imagine the problem you had inserting tampons.

Don't ask!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 05:19:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> Do you have a problem with stuff falling off the back? I seem to have
>> less
>> problems with my pot and pan pullouts but a major problem with the one
>> where
>> I keep some of the less often used things like my turkey roaster. I had
>> tortilla and pancake warmers in there, various foil pans, popsicle molds
>> and
>> other stuff. I went through it once again and tossed a lot of that stuff
>> in
>> the give away box. Lots of that stuff would drop off the back. Same
>> goes
>> for my pullouts for things like wrap and foil. I realize that a pullout
>> isn't the best place to put those things but all of my lower cupboards
>> are
>> either pullouts, lazy Susan corner units or the narrow one for baking
>> sheets. And the few upper cabinets that I have are full of other stuff.
>>
>> I think part of my problem with the one for the foil and plastic is that
>> the
>> stuff tends to get lost down there, particularly on the lower one. I
>> think
>> I am out or running low on something and then at some point later, I'll
>> find

> Have you thought about putting something at the back of your pull out
> shelf to act as a wall that would prevent it from happening? You
> could start with a piece of cardboard and see how it goes.

You mentioned that before but... The cardboard wouldn't stay for one thing.
And if I nailed it on or some such thing, then I would have to remove it if
something did get over the back. There would be no way to make the back
come all the way up like you could with a drawer. So something small/flat
could still bail over.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 9/24/2013 10:14 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> I can't comprehend how folks
>> would choose to live in a house with no basement, living on a slab is
>> like living in their garage... living in a garden shed is better, at
>> least most are up off the ground. I wouldn't like living in my barn
>> either.
>>

> Basements seem to depend on geography as well as the age of the house.
>
> As for a house built on a slab, the cement *is* covered with something,
> you know. Carpet, hardwood, laminate flooring, tile, etc. I've never
> known anyone to have a bare cement floor *except* in an unfinished area of
> their basement. That was in houses above the Mason-Dixon line.

We have no basement but I don't think it's a slab either. Not sure what you
would call it. There is an air space (crawl space) under the house. I do
*not* want a basement. My parents have one and I can't tell you how many
times it has flooded during a hard rain or following a snow storm when the
snow melts. There was no carpet when we moved in. They put carpet in. And
had to replace it twice due to flooding. Once, they had *just* replaced it.
As in the next flood came mere days after installation. They eventually had
to replace the flooring as well. They spent many sleepless nights standing
down there with rain boots on, attempting to sweep the water out of the
garage to keep it from building up.

Thankfully, they never had a flood of proportions that damaged the furniture
or anything. But their neighbors recently did! The house that we used to
live in. That house had never flooded before but perhaps due to some
landscaping or something, things changed. And those people live in the
basement. For some reason they gave the upstairs to their teens and adult
children and the parents were living in the basement. For weeks they had to
have some sort of large white hose looking thing draped across the yard to
aid in the drainage.

Basements can be nice here in the summer. They tend to stay cool and AC is
uncommon in older homes here. Although I think many of the newer ones now
have it. Our weather has changed and at times we do need it. But they are
also beastly cold in the winter.

Only place I ever lived as an adult that had one was on Cape Cod. It was
called a cellar. Although could stand up down there, anyone much taller
than me 5' 8" in those days (I'm shrinking) could not, except for in the
laundry room. We only used it for storing seasonal things. It was so damp
and disgusting down there. I had to put in a dehumidifier and empty it
daily. There were so many spiders that I had to spray for them weekly. And
pill bugs were contently somehow getting in through the tilt out windows.

The cellar was not to be used for living space and we were told so. Plus
they did nothing to make it look livable. Plain cement walls without even
any paint. Laundry room was the same way. I hated going down there. Ick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 02:59:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Cheryl" > wrote in message
aweb.com...

>>> I wish I still had enough space between my fridge and the wall because
>>> this would be perfect. My new fridge is wider. This is the same
>>> company
>>> I bought the free-standing pantry from.
>>>
>>> <http://www.cymax.com/Venture-Horizon-White-Thin-Man-Pantry-Cabinet-4036-11-WH.htm>

>>I wanted one of those but it wouldn't fit in my kitchen either. There is
>>very small amount of space on either side of my fridge. There is a fly
>>swatter on one side. Had some bed trays on the other but they would never
>>stay there and then it occurred to me that nobody will ever use them so I
>>got rid of them.
>>
>>I just wish I could find a good place for my tea! I actually have to
>>replace it all again because it was old. I don't think I drank much tea
>>at
>>all last year. Have a cute little wooden cabinet with ceramic drawers
>>but... The tea that I have been buying does not come in individually
>>wrapped bags or is loose so it won't work for me any more.

> I have a huge collection of teas, I transfer it to metal canisters
> with tight fitting lids or simply use glass jars with screw caps.
> There are rectangular metal tea cannisters one can buy that are
> inexpensive, attractively decorated, and take little space (check your
> 99˘ store). Here ya go, tins are reusable:
> http://www.amazon.com/China-Loose-Le...sters%2C+metal

Got no 99 cent stores here. Only Dollar Tree and they have nothing like
that. I don't really like canisters and especially not metal ones. They
tend to rust. Although some of the loose tea that I buy does come in metal
cans. That is fine but I don't reuse hem.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 02:29:32 -0400, Cheryl >
> wrote:

>>That's pretty stupid. Who has pans all of the same size like that? My
>>set sure wouldn't hang so easily like that.

> I concur... that's the dumbest contraption. How difficult is it to
> figure where to store pots, I bet these lame brains get all befuddled
> when they need to store their panties. No storage space is the lamest
> excuse... in a pinch there is plenty of space to store large cookware
> under a bed... there are even pull out storage drawers/containers made
> especially for under a bed.
> http://www.amazon.com/Ikea-Skubb-Bla...e+drawers+ikea

Have you seen those little compartments they sell for sock and underwear
drawers? They look a bit like honeycomb. Not sure what they're made of.
Perfectly silly! I don't even take the time to fold my undies. I just toss
them in the drawer. Nobody is going to know if my panties have wrinkles.
Not that they do. Have never seen any. But I also know people who iron
their panties.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 02:47:34 -0400, Cheryl >
> wrote:
>
>>On 9/24/2013 12:11 AM, wrote:
>>
>>> Unfortunately my kitchen is small with very, very little storage
>>> space and the Calphalon would not fit in my then electric stove
>>> storage drawer. My pot rack is hanging in front of my good size
>>> kitchen window. For ME the rack is perfect, within easy reach, great
>>> storage, and no schmutz. I had not thought about it until it was
>>> mounted and pots and pans were hanging but they do look good hanging
>>> and on display.

>>Small kitchen, too, and I wish I had space to hang up my pots and pans.
>> It would leave storage for other things if I could clear out the
>>cabinet they're in. Since they are in one cabinet and don't really take
>>advantage of the space, I have to find room for other things.

> There is no reason one can't store large cookware in free cardboard
> cartons from the liquor store and slide them under their bed. Talk
> about small storage space, for the five years I lived in CA everything
> I owned fit in my Chevy, most kitchen stuff lived in shoe boxes. And
> that was nothing, aboard ship everything I owned fit into a locker
> that was like six cubic feet. I'm positive that the people who are
> bitching about lack of storage space simply own too much junk that
> truly belongs in the trash.. like the fools who store literally
> garbage in their freezer.

Of course you can but that's not very handy!

One problem that I have is that people know I like to cook. And those
people don't cook. So they see something new that relates to cooking or
food and assume that I would want it. Many of those gadgets and "keepers"
just take up space that I don't have and I never or rarely use them. Like
the bell pepper keeper, tomato keeper, onion keeper, cheese keeper, cracker
keeper, the list goes on and on. And I will admit I was guilty of buying a
few of those things myself. Saw in a catalog or online and foolishly got
them. Or they know that I like something, such as a Crock-Pot and buy me
another one. Gah! It gets to the point where you don't really need any
more kitchen stuff or geegaws unless perhaps something wears out.

Now when I gift something to someone, I try either to make sure that it is
something they want or can use, make it something edible or drinkable that I
know they will consume, make it a gag gift that is inexpensive and they can
laugh, pass it around and then toss it. Or I give money or gift cards.
It's all pretty silly because with the family, we now just pass gift cards
to each other. I am even contemplating not doing the surprise ball this
year. I normally put a lot of little things and gag gifts as well as money
and gift cards although the gift cards are a tad hard to work into the big
ball. Of course we can all use money. Even me which is why I don't have
much to put in there. Heh! But we don't really need any more Christmas
ornaments, lip balms or squirrel underpants. Guess it is time to move on to
something else.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 03:22:46 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Cheryl" > wrote in message
aweb.com...

>>> Small kitchen, too, and I wish I had space to hang up my pots and pans.
>>> It would leave storage for other things if I could clear out the
>>> cabinet they're in. Since they are in one cabinet and don't really take
>>> advantage of the space, I have to find room for other things.

>>Doesn't it make you wonder who designs these kitchens? Clearly someone
>>who
>>doesn't cook!

> An awful lot of people who choose to live in such homes don't cook
> much, or not at all, they hate to cook... I know people who eat out or
> do take-out or buy only frozen fully prepared meals that only need to
> be nuked... the biggest cooking they do is maybe a toasted English
> muffin. If you like to cook WTF did you choose to live in a home with
> a tiny kitchen... you're the imbecile, not the home designer. My ex
> in-laws didn't cook, they lived in a small co-op apartment, their
> bathroom was twice the size of their tiny galley kitchen. They ate
> out and ordered enough to bring home left overs, or they did take out
> from delis, Chinese, and such... they didn't even own a coffee pot,
> each morning they got coffee at a 7-11. In fact they didn't even own
> a salt n' pepper shaker. They never shopped for groceries.

I didn't choose to live here. Our income chose it for us. We moved back
here at one of the worst times to buy a house. Actually the next three
years after that were even worse in terms of house prices. We gave the
price of $250,000.00 as our top price and there was literally *nothing*
available anywhere here for that price save for a mobile home. Those are
not often available and when they are, it is usually in a 55+ park. I have
never actually lived in one. My one grandma did and it was fine for her.
And my 55+ friend recently bought one and loves it. Hers is very nice. I
suppose I would consider it but my husband would not.

We had to live somewhere. We couldn't keep staying in the Navy Lodge and
school was starting so we had to buy something. I actually did not want to
buy and seriously wanted to rent an apartment but husband wouldn't consider
that either. We had found one other house that he liked but I did not.
That kitchen was bigger. Not sure if it had a pantry though. My main
objection there was the brand new flat top stove. I hate those! Plus the
carpet needed to be replaced throughout the house. Whoever did the living
room didn't use that knee bumper thing to shore it up. As you walked, a
pool of ugly brown carpet came along with your feet. It was seriously that
bad.

Actually we had seen another one in Lynnwood that Angela and I really
wanted. The kitchen was HUGE and had pink Formica but it did have a few
issues that we knew just from eyeballing it would need repairs. Husband
refused to consider that because of the huge backyard complete with Tiki
bar. He wanted a small yard.

We did make an offer on the house with the bad carpet, only to find out that
they had already sold it to someone else. I was ticked. They knew that
they did it and yet they kept inviting us back to see it again. The woman
gave Angela crayons, coloring books and even cookies. Anyway... We were
getting desperate because there was nothing we could afford. And then this
one came back on the market. Apparently they were close to selling it twice
and then the buyers backed out. Now I know why. This place is nothing but
a money pit.

I suppose if you are wealthy and have a lot of time to look for a place, you
can be choosy. Heck, you can probably even have something built to suit.
But when you are pressed for time and have limited funds, you have to make
do. I suspect that a lot of us have to do that.

My one friend who recently bought the trailer once told me that she couldn't
understand people who attempted to decorate to suit them. And by this she
meant people who were renting and not wealthy so couldn't paint or change
out flooring and such. She said when she moved in to a new place, she
looked at the carpet, walls, windows, etc., took note of what was there and
went with that. Then did her best to get things in those colors to pull
together a decent look. That was what I always did too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 16:00:47 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> >
> > Have you thought about putting something at the back of your pull out
> > shelf to act as a wall that would prevent it from happening? You
> > could start with a piece of cardboard and see how it goes.

> You mentioned that before but... The cardboard wouldn't stay for one thing.
> And if I nailed it on or some such thing, then I would have to remove it if
> something did get over the back.

Use thumbtacks and don't pile small things so high that something
would go over the back.

> There would be no way to make the back
> come all the way up like you could with a drawer. So something small/flat
> could still bail over.

Put your small and flat underneath something else that won't dive off
the back side. You're stacking all sorts of things on there, so
position won't make any difference because you still have to dig.

I can't help you if you refuse to even try. I have pull out shelves
and don't have the problems you seem to have. One shelf has lots of
smaller jars on it - every now and then one jiggles loose and goes
over the back side, so I get a pair of tongs and fish it out. It's
not hard, just annoying.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 17:06:12 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 9/24/2013 10:14 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> I can't comprehend how folks
>> would choose to live in a house with no basement, living on a slab is
>> like living in their garage... living in a garden shed is better, at
>> least most are up off the ground. I wouldn't like living in my barn
>> either.
>>

>Basements seem to depend on geography as well as the age of the house.
>
>As for a house built on a slab, the cement *is* covered with something,
>you know. Carpet, hardwood, laminate flooring, tile, etc. I've never
>known anyone to have a bare cement floor *except* in an unfinished area
>of their basement. That was in houses above the Mason-Dixon line.
>
>Jill

When I was living in Botswana lots of the houses had cement floors.
They were sealed and polished to prevent cement dust. Very sensible
solution for the climate and the terrain. They would work here in
Western Australia too. We have no carpet at all, all tile floors.

JB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 13:55:57 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> When I was living in Botswana lots of the houses had cement floors.
>> They were sealed and polished to prevent cement dust. Very sensible
>> solution for the climate and the terrain. They would work here in
>> Western Australia too. We have no carpet at all, all tile floors.

> Lucky you. I make do with polished wooden floors and rugs :-)
>
> Polished concrete floors can be gorgeous. I first coveted them 20
>years ago in posh modern hotels in the tropics but they are now becoming
>fashionable here, in upmarket new builds (with underfloor heating ). If
>we ever built from scratch, that would be my flooring of choice.
>
> Janet UK.

You're missing the entire point of this thread; storage.
And in the tropics unless you're a poor native living in a hut you'd
want to live off the ground... in the tropics even poor folk build
their huts up on pilings if for no other reason but in the tropics
there are daily torrential rains, and near the coast wicked storms
cause sea water to cover the land several feet deep.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, gravesend10
@verizon.net says...

> On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 13:55:57 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> says...
> >
> >> When I was living in Botswana lots of the houses had cement floors.
> >> They were sealed and polished to prevent cement dust. Very sensible
> >> solution for the climate and the terrain. They would work here in
> >> Western Australia too. We have no carpet at all, all tile floors.

> > Lucky you. I make do with polished wooden floors and rugs :-)
> >
> > Polished concrete floors can be gorgeous. I first coveted them 20
> >years ago in posh modern hotels in the tropics but they are now becoming
> >fashionable here, in upmarket new builds (with underfloor heating ). If
> >we ever built from scratch, that would be my flooring of choice.
> >
> > Janet UK.

> You're missing the entire point of this thread; storage.

about floors

> And in the tropics unless you're a poor native living in a hut you'd
> want to live off the ground...

We did. Like this

http://tinyurl.com/p7fzex9

Janet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet nowhere.uk wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> And in the tropics unless you're a poor native living in a hut you'd
>> want to live off the ground...

> We did. Like this
>
> http://tinyurl.com/p7fzex9

That's just something you pulled off the net, you may have visited but
didn't live there... and those are modern high rise tourist
digs/traps, the locals don't/can't live there.

I actually lived in the tropics, folks who could lived well off the
ground:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2u5e2c4.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I now have many more types of oil and vinegar than
> I did before. And I moved my nuts to that cabinet. So no room for tea.

No room in your kitchen or house for tea, huh?

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 13:55:57 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> When I was living in Botswana lots of the houses had cement floors.
>> They were sealed and polished to prevent cement dust. Very sensible
>> solution for the climate and the terrain. They would work here in
>> Western Australia too. We have no carpet at all, all tile floors.

> Lucky you. I make do with polished wooden floors and rugs :-)

I like wood floors too, although tile is easier ti upkeep I think.

> Polished concrete floors can be gorgeous. I first coveted them 20
>years ago in posh modern hotels in the tropics but they are now becoming
>fashionable here, in upmarket new builds (with underfloor heating ). If
>we ever built from scratch, that would be my flooring of choice.

Yes, I would consider polished cement too. We wouldn't need the
underfloor heating, just normal gas heating in the coldest part of
winter would keep the chill out of the floor (and a pair of warm
socks).

JB

> Janet UK.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 18:59:04 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >, gravesend10
says...

>> On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 13:55:57 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>>
>> >In article >,
>> says...

>> > Lucky you. I make do with polished wooden floors and rugs :-)
>> >
>> > Polished concrete floors can be gorgeous. I first coveted them 20
>> >years ago in posh modern hotels in the tropics but they are now becoming
>> >fashionable here, in upmarket new builds (with underfloor heating ). If
>> >we ever built from scratch, that would be my flooring of choice.
>> >
>> > Janet UK.

>> You're missing the entire point of this thread; storage.

>about floors
>
>> And in the tropics unless you're a poor native living in a hut you'd
>> want to live off the ground...

> We did. Like this
>
> http://tinyurl.com/p7fzex9
>
> Janet.

Wow. Great spot. I have not been to Sri Lanka.

JB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2013 10:24 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> I have a huge collection of teas, I transfer it to metal canisters
> with tight fitting lids or simply use glass jars with screw caps.
> There are rectangular metal tea cannisters one can buy that are
> inexpensive, attractively decorated, and take little space (check your
> 99˘ store). Here ya go, tins are reusable:

> http://www.amazon.com/China-Loose-Le...sters%2C+metal

I'm sampling more tea lately so thanks for the link, Sheldon. So far
it's all been in tea bags, so I need a good tea ball.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2013 7:13 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> Basements can be nice here in the summer. They tend to stay cool and AC
> is uncommon in older homes here. Although I think many of the newer
> ones now have it. Our weather has changed and at times we do need it.
> But they are also beastly cold in the winter.

My house is on a slab but it's what they call a split foyer design, so
the downstairs is also a rec room, a bedroom that needs some work done,
a room with a concrete floor where the cats litterboxes are, plus my
spare fridge and smallish freezer, laundry room (concrete floor also)
and a room I call the workshop but it houses the furnace and water
heater. Also a concrete floor. Full bathroom down there, too
Interesting about that is that the "workshop" is adjacent to the
downstairs bathroom, and where the water supply comes into the house, I
can see dirt. Not sure it's supposed to be that way, but that's where
the pest control company had to concentrate their efforts when I had
termites.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/25/2013 1:59 PM, Janet wrote:

> We did. Like this
>
> http://tinyurl.com/p7fzex9

Ah, to have a view like any of those when i wake up would be a dream for
me.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2013 10:38 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> I concur... that's the dumbest contraption. How difficult is it to
> figure where to store pots, I bet these lame brains get all befuddled
> when they need to store their panties. No storage space is the lamest
> excuse... in a pinch there is plenty of space to store large cookware
> under a bed... there are even pull out storage drawers/containers made
> especially for under a bed.
> http://www.amazon.com/Ikea-Skubb-Bla...e+drawers+ikea

One or two of my cats like to sleep under the bed, so they might not
like to share the space.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> Janet nowhere.uk wrote:
>>Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> And in the tropics unless you're a poor native living in a hut you'd
>>> want to live off the ground...

>> We did. Like this
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/p7fzex9

> That's just something you pulled off the net, you may have visited but
> didn't live there... and those are modern high rise tourist
> digs/traps, the locals don't/can't live there.
>
> I actually lived in the tropics, folks who could lived well off the
> ground:
> http://i40.tinypic.com/2u5e2c4.jpg

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

http://tinyurl.com/p7fzex9

> > Janet.

> Wow. Great spot. I have not been to Sri Lanka.

Fabulous place. When I was 7 my class teacher used to read us the
letters she received from her brother who had gone there to work a
rubber plantation.For a kid in industrial north England it was so exotic
and made an enormous impression. I was determined to see it myself and
finally got there about half a century later.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
says...

> On 9/25/2013 1:59 PM, Janet wrote:
>
> > We did. Like this

http://tinyurl.com/p7fzex9

> Ah, to have a view like any of those when i wake up would be a dream for
> me.

When we woke up on the first morning after arrival, there was an
elephant walking past the window.

Janet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/26/2013 11:27 AM, Janet wrote:

> In article om>,
> says...
>>
>> On 9/25/2013 1:59 PM, Janet wrote:
>>
>>> We did. Like this

http://tinyurl.com/p7fzex9

>> Ah, to have a view like any of those when i wake up would be a dream for
>> me.

> When we woke up on the first morning after arrival, there was an
> elephant walking past the window.
>
> Janet.

How cool is that!!

--