Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Storing Corning Ware

Store them with the lids in their dish? Stack the dishes and store
the lids in a rack?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 19:44:57 -0400, Metspitzer >
wrote:

> Store them with the lids in their dish? Stack the dishes and store
> the lids in a rack?

If you have the room, my preferred way would be to stack with the lid
of the bottom one overturned to provide a base for the next one. I
organize my own pot lids in probably what was meant to be a vinyl
record holder back in the day. If I didn't use that, I'd seriously
consider these ideas
http://ext.homedepot.com/community/b...n-pantry-door/
http://lifehacker.com/5983833/use-ad...-cabinet-space

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/19/2013 8:19 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 19:44:57 -0400, Metspitzer >
> wrote:
>
>> Store them with the lids in their dish? Stack the dishes and store
>> the lids in a rack?

> If you have the room, my preferred way would be to stack with the lid
> of the bottom one overturned to provide a base for the next one.

That is how we do it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 9/19/2013 8:19 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 19:44:57 -0400, Metspitzer >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Store them with the lids in their dish? Stack the dishes and store
>>> the lids in a rack?

>> If you have the room, my preferred way would be to stack with the lid
>> of the bottom one overturned to provide a base for the next one.

> That is how we do it.

Us too.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 20:13:05 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> Have you tried using common sense?

Like you did when you stalked Omelet off the net?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 7:19:23 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 19:44:57 -0400, Metspitzer >
>
> wrote:
>

> > Store them with the lids in their dish? Stack the dishes and store

> > the lids in a rack?

> If you have the room, my preferred way would be to stack with the lid
>
> of the bottom one overturned to provide a base for the next one.

That's the way I stack and store my Corning Ware.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> sf wrote:
>> Metspitzer wrote:
>>
>>> Store them with the lids in their dish? Stack the dishes and store
>>> the lids in a rack?

>> If you have the room, my preferred way would be to stack with the lid
>> of the bottom one overturned to provide a base for the next one.

>That is how we do it.

All my Corningware has a glass lid that has a molded in knob, would be
quite a balancing act to place the lids upside down on a flat surface
and than use that as a stacking base. I store my Corningware with the
lid inverted on top, then stack the next one on top of that inverted
lid... typcally no more than two high. Someone mentioned about
plastic lids stacked like record albums... maybe folks here are
confusing Tupperware for Corningware... I've not seen Corningware with
plastic lids.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:19:23 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:

> http://ext.homedepot.com/community/b...n-pantry-door/
>
> http://lifehacker.com/5983833/use-ad...-cabinet-space

WOW - that second one is cheap and ingenious. I'm going to DO that. That's the one big problem area in my kitchen - storing damned pot lids.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 13:38:25 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> On Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:19:23 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> >
> > http://ext.homedepot.com/community/b...n-pantry-door/
> >
> > http://lifehacker.com/5983833/use-ad...-cabinet-space

> WOW - that second one is cheap and ingenious. I'm going to DO that. That's the one big problem area in my kitchen - storing damned pot lids.

Happy to be of help! The first one could be cheap too, depending on
how fancy the towel bars are (of course).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/19/2013 8:19 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 19:44:57 -0400, Metspitzer >
> wrote:
>
>> Store them with the lids in their dish? Stack the dishes and store
>> the lids in a rack?

> If you have the room, my preferred way would be to stack with the lid
> of the bottom one overturned to provide a base for the next one.

(snippage)

That's exactly how I store my corning ware. They "nest" very well with
the lid upside down inside the dish. Then the next smaller size dish
and lid, and so on.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/20/2013 8:44 PM, barbie gee wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Sep 2013, Kalmia wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:19:23 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
>>>
>>> http://ext.homedepot.com/community/b...n-pantry-door/
>>>

>>> http://lifehacker.com/5983833/use-ad...-cabinet-space
>>>

>> WOW - that second one is cheap and ingenious. I'm going to DO that.
>> That's the one big problem area in my kitchen - storing damned pot lids.
>>

> Doesnt' everyone store pot lids in the bottom drawer of the stove?

Uh, no. And pot lids aren't the same as glass lids for corning ware.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/20/2013 4:38 PM, Kalmia wrote:

>> http://lifehacker.com/5983833/use-ad...-cabinet-space

> WOW - that second one is cheap and ingenious. I'm going to DO that. That's the one big problem area in my kitchen - storing damned pot lids.

It is a good idea and I already have the hooks. My problem is that the
lids aren't all the same size like in the photo, but I can probably find
a way to store at least 3 like that.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"barbie gee" > wrote in message
hcrg.pbz...

> On Fri, 20 Sep 2013, Kalmia wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:19:23 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
>>>
>>> http://ext.homedepot.com/community/b...n-pantry-door/
>>>
>>> http://lifehacker.com/5983833/use-ad...-cabinet-space

>> WOW - that second one is cheap and ingenious. I'm going to DO that.
>> That's the one big problem area in my kitchen - storing damned pot lids.
>>

> Doesnt' everyone store pot lids in the bottom drawer of the stove?

I think my mom might do that. I never did. I have some of my larger
roasting pans down there plus some extra drip pans for my burners. My drip
pans are old and don't look so great and new ones are expensive. I'm fine
with the ones I have but some people who have visited here made a big stink
out of it so I bought new ones. But... I intend to put the new ones on if
they do come over again, then swap them back when they leave.

I just store the lids with the pots. Has never been a problem for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 20, 2013 7:44:55 PM UTC-5, barbie gee wrote:

> Doesnt' everyone store pot lids in the bottom drawer of the stove?

No, why would you think they do??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Friday, September 20, 2013 7:44:55 PM UTC-5, barbie gee wrote:
>>
>> Doesnt' everyone store pot lids in the bottom drawer of the stove?
>>

> No, why would you think they do??

Apparently she and her mom do!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 01:33:40 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, September 20, 2013 7:44:55 PM UTC-5, barbie gee wrote:
>>
>> Doesnt' everyone store pot lids in the bottom drawer of the stove?
>>

>No, why would you think they do??

Because nothing else fits there. We've done it and I know others that
have. Stove designs have may changed, but it was a very handy space
for lids.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 01:33:40 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, September 20, 2013 7:44:55 PM UTC-5, barbie gee wrote:
> >>
> >> Doesnt' everyone store pot lids in the bottom drawer of the stove?
> >>

> >No, why would you think they do??

> Because nothing else fits there. We've done it and I know others that
> have. Stove designs have may changed, but it was a very handy space
> for lids.

Stove designs must have changed. I have an old gas one and the "bottom
drawer" on mine is the broiler. I wouldn't store anything there.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 08:29:32 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 01:33:40 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, September 20, 2013 7:44:55 PM UTC-5, barbie gee wrote:
> >>
> >> Doesnt' everyone store pot lids in the bottom drawer of the stove?
> >>

> >No, why would you think they do??

> Because nothing else fits there. We've done it and I know others that
> have. Stove designs have may changed, but it was a very handy space
> for lids.

I've never seen anyone store lids there. It's usually the place where
people put their cookie sheets, cupcake pans, large cutting boards,
pizza peel etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2013 8:29 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 01:33:40 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Friday, September 20, 2013 7:44:55 PM UTC-5, barbie gee wrote:
>>>
>>> Doesnt' everyone store pot lids in the bottom drawer of the stove?
>>>

>> No, why would you think they do??

> Because nothing else fits there. We've done it and I know others that
> have. Stove designs have may changed, but it was a very handy space
> for lids.

I store baking sheets in that drawer. That's about it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 20, 2013 1:02:06 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> I've not seen Corningware with plastic lids.

I have four of these that have plastic lids.

http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Cornin.../dp/B004GIDLIK

Also, it is Corning Ware. The stuff called Corningware isn't the real thing.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2013 9:56 AM, Gary wrote:

> Stove designs must have changed. I have an old gas one and the "bottom
> drawer" on mine is the broiler. I wouldn't store anything there.

Absolutely. The broiler is in the oven compartment now. No
more creeper broiler by the floor.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2013 9:56 AM, Gary wrote:

> Stove designs must have changed. I have an old gas one and the "bottom
> drawer" on mine is the broiler. I wouldn't store anything there.

Absolutely. The broiler is in the oven compartment now. No
more creeper broiler by the floor.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> On 9/21/2013 9:56 AM, Gary wrote:
>
> > Stove designs must have changed. I have an old gas one and the "bottom
> > drawer" on mine is the broiler. I wouldn't store anything there.

> Absolutely. The broiler is in the oven compartment now. No
> more creeper broiler by the floor.

yeah...my broiler is by the floor and I have to kneel down on the
floor to do the job. The heating flame is in a circle and does NOT
broil evenly so I have to rotate broiling things constantly to get an
even cooking. It's a real pain so I don't do it often.

I got a small toaster oven this week which should broil things easier
on the countertop. Not a fancy one like sw bought....just a bare
bones one. Black & Decker, model TRO480BS

http://toastedanddelicious.org/revie...cker-tro480bs/

This should fit my rare needs perfectly. Best part is that I got it
for free. It was a rescue toaster oven. Customers just remodeled
their kitchen and this was put out on a garage shelf for Salvation
Army pickup someday. I asked about it and it became a Salvation Gary
prize. :-D

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> On 9/21/2013 9:56 AM, Gary wrote:
>>
>> > Stove designs must have changed. I have an old gas one and the "bottom
>> > drawer" on mine is the broiler. I wouldn't store anything there.

>> Absolutely. The broiler is in the oven compartment now. No
>> more creeper broiler by the floor.

> yeah...my broiler is by the floor and I have to kneel down on the
> floor to do the job. The heating flame is in a circle and does NOT
> broil evenly so I have to rotate broiling things constantly to get an
> even cooking. It's a real pain so I don't do it often.
>
> I got a small toaster oven this week which should broil things easier
> on the countertop. Not a fancy one like sw bought....just a bare
> bones one. Black & Decker, model TRO480BS
>
> http://toastedanddelicious.org/revie...cker-tro480bs/
>
> This should fit my rare needs perfectly. Best part is that I got it
> for free. It was a rescue toaster oven. Customers just remodeled
> their kitchen and this was put out on a garage shelf for Salvation
> Army pickup someday. I asked about it and it became a Salvation Gary
> prize. :-D

Nice rescue)))

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 9/21/2013 9:56 AM, Gary wrote:
>
> > Stove designs must have changed. I have an old gas one and the "bottom
> > drawer" on mine is the broiler. I wouldn't store anything there.

> Absolutely. The broiler is in the oven compartment now. No
> more creeper broiler by the floor.

Never seen one like that. Our old gas cookers used to have an 'eye level
grill'. Then they had them under the hob, now I have a double oven and the
grill (broiler) is in the top one!
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2013 11:07 AM, Gary wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:

>> Absolutely. The broiler is in the oven compartment now. No
>> more creeper broiler by the floor.

> yeah...my broiler is by the floor and I have to kneel down on the
> floor to do the job.

So appetizing!

> I got a small toaster oven this week which should broil things easier
> on the countertop. Not a fancy one like sw bought....just a bare
> bones one. Black & Decker, model TRO480BS
>
> http://toastedanddelicious.org/revie...cker-tro480bs/

Nice. And easy to see what you're trying to broil, too.

> This should fit my rare needs perfectly. Best part is that I got it
> for free. It was a rescue toaster oven. Customers just remodeled
> their kitchen and this was put out on a garage shelf for Salvation
> Army pickup someday. I asked about it and it became a Salvation Gary
> prize. :-D

That's what I always heard, charity begins at Gary! Heh. Nice score.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 01:33:40 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, September 20, 2013 7:44:55 PM UTC-5, barbie gee wrote:
>>
>> Doesnt' everyone store pot lids in the bottom drawer of the stove?
>>

>No, why would you think they do??

My pot lids are stored with their respective pots, some pots nested
but the lids leaning along side on edge on my pantry shelves.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 20, 2013 8:44:55 PM UTC-4, barbie gee wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Sep 2013, Kalmia wrote:
>

> > On Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:19:23 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:

> >> http://ext.homedepot.com/community/b...n-pantry-door/

> >> http://lifehacker.com/5983833/use-ad...-cabinet-space

> > WOW - that second one is cheap and ingenious. I'm going to DO that. That's the one big problem area in my kitchen - storing damned pot lids.

> Doesnt' everyone store pot lids in the bottom drawer of the stove?

No. My stove drawer is full of metal stuff like colanders, strainers, sifters, funnels - all those bulky items. The older one gets, the less one tends to bend for stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 10:40:07 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On Friday, September 20, 2013 8:44:55 PM UTC-4, barbie gee wrote:

>> > WOW - that second one is cheap and ingenious. I'm going to DO that. That's the one big problem area in my kitchen - storing damned pot lids.

>> Doesnt' everyone store pot lids in the bottom drawer of the stove?

>No. My stove drawer is full of metal stuff like colanders, strainers, sifters, funnels - all those bulky items. The older one gets, the less one tends to bend for stuff.

My stove drawer contains the broiler pan (never used, never will be)
two of my most often used Nordicware cake pans, Bundt, and Daisys...
that's it, oh, and the stove's owner's manual. To this day I still
don't know if my stove's broiler works, in over 15 years I've never
tried it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2013 10:13 AM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

> On Friday, September 20, 2013 1:02:06 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> I've not seen Corningware with plastic lids.

> I have four of these that have plastic lids.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Cornin.../dp/B004GIDLIK
>
> Also, it is Corning Ware. The stuff called Corningware isn't the
> real thing.
>
> --Bryan

I have a very old one of those with a glass lid. It gets a lot of use.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 21, 2013 7:29:32 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 01:33:40 -0700 (PDT), "
>
> > wrote:
>

> >On Friday, September 20, 2013 7:44:55 PM UTC-5, barbie gee wrote:

> >> Doesnt' everyone store pot lids in the bottom drawer of the stove?

> >No, why would you think they do??

> Because nothing else fits there. We've done it and I know others that
>
> have. Stove designs have may changed, but it was a very handy space
>
> for lids.

When I had a smooth top electric stove the drawer was large enough to store most lids plus my 2 cast iron skillets and a cast iron griddle. The new gas stove has a HUGE oven but very small bottom drawer so that ended any storing of pot lids except for 2 small ones. The broiler is inside the oven but many gas stoves do have their broiler in that bottom drawer.

Three years ago I bought new tri-ply stainless steel Calphalon cookware. The handles are longer and that pretty much ended most pan storage in the bottom drawer of former electric stove. I opted for a pot rack which solved the storage problem and the pots and pans look rather nice hanging in the kitchen.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 9/21/2013 8:29 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 01:33:40 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

>>> No, why would you think they do??

>> Because nothing else fits there. We've done it and I know others that
>> have. Stove designs have may changed, but it was a very handy space
>> for lids.
>>

> I store baking sheets in that drawer. That's about it.

I have a narrow cupboard designed for baking sheets. Lids go in the pullout
above the pan pullout.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> My stove drawer contains the broiler pan (never used, never will be)
> two of my most often used Nordicware cake pans, Bundt, and Daisys...
> that's it, oh, and the stove's owner's manual. To this day I still
> don't know if my stove's broiler works, in over 15 years I've never
> tried it.

Agree on the broiler pan. I tried broiling some kind of meat once. Can't
remember what it was. Made such a mess in the oven. Never again! I can't
even remember the last time I broiled anything. But I think it was some
sort of vegetable. Baked first and then finished under the broiler. That
wasn't messy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2013 5:06 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> My pot lids are stored with their respective pots, some pots nested
> but the lids leaning along side on edge on my pantry shelves.

Most of my pans have loop-handle lids, so I slip the lid on the pan
handle, then hang them up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/13 8:29 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 01:33:40 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Friday, September 20, 2013 7:44:55 PM UTC-5, barbie gee wrote:
>>>
>>> Doesnt' everyone store pot lids in the bottom drawer of the stove?
>>>

>> No, why would you think they do??

> Because nothing else fits there. We've done it and I know others that
> have. Stove designs have may changed, but it was a very handy space
> for lids.

I keep my roasting pan as well as other assorted cooking sheets and
shallow roasting pans in there. It actually is a warming drawer, but I
don't need or use that feature. I like the storage space more.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

S Viemeister wrote:
> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> My pot lids are stored with their respective pots, some pots nested
>> but the lids leaning along side on edge on my pantry shelves.

>Most of my pans have loop-handle lids, so I slip the lid on the pan
>handle, then hang them up.

I don't like pots hanging from hooks, I especially detest those
ceiling racks folks use to display cookware... the cookware collects
schmutz and so needs to be washed before using. I've been to peoples
homes who have those pot racks and most pots I've seen are so filled
with dust and coated with grease from cooking oil fumes they likely
haven't been used in more than ten years. I have a small pantry at
the far end of my kitchen (was intended as a coat closet in another
life), I only store the cookware in there that I actually use, all the
rest is stored in marked cartons in my basement.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>S Viemeister wrote:
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>>> My pot lids are stored with their respective pots, some pots nested
>>> but the lids leaning along side on edge on my pantry shelves.

>>Most of my pans have loop-handle lids, so I slip the lid on the pan
>>handle, then hang them up.

> I don't like pots hanging from hooks, I especially detest those
> ceiling racks folks use to display cookware... the cookware collects
> schmutz and so needs to be washed before using. I've been to peoples
> homes who have those pot racks and most pots I've seen are so filled
> with dust and coated with grease from cooking oil fumes they likely
> haven't been used in more than ten years. I have a small pantry at
> the far end of my kitchen (was intended as a coat closet in another
> life), I only store the cookware in there that I actually use, all the
> rest is stored in marked cartons in my basement.

Agreed. I cringe every time I see a pot rack like that. I would never want
one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2013 5:45 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> S Viemeister wrote:
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>>> My pot lids are stored with their respective pots, some pots nested
>>> but the lids leaning along side on edge on my pantry shelves.

>> Most of my pans have loop-handle lids, so I slip the lid on the pan
>> handle, then hang them up.

> I don't like pots hanging from hooks, I especially detest those
> ceiling racks folks use to display cookware... the cookware collects
> schmutz and so needs to be washed before using. I've been to peoples
> homes who have those pot racks and most pots I've seen are so filled
> with dust and coated with grease from cooking oil fumes they likely
> haven't been used in more than ten years. I have a small pantry at
> the far end of my kitchen (was intended as a coat closet in another
> life), I only store the cookware in there that I actually use, all the
> rest is stored in marked cartons in my basement.

None of my cookware is for display, it is all used, on a frequent basis.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 10:38:43 +0100, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 9/22/2013 5:45 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> I don't like pots hanging from hooks, I especially detest those
>> ceiling racks folks use to display cookware... the cookware collects
>> schmutz and so needs to be washed before using.

>None of my cookware is for display, it is all used, on a frequent basis.

That is why you'd have a rack. Well, in a commercial kitchen it may
make sense. It became a trendy thing in home kitchens and only has
one use, IMO. That is to show off your fancy overpriced cookware that
is rarely used. I don't take people out to my garage to show them how
my ladder and spare tires are stored, so why show them my pots?