Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default storing Indian spice; storing raw and roasted sesame seeds

I have a few Indian spice in individual bottles but what if I do this:
put each of them in ziplock bag and then place all these ziplock bags
in a big airtight rubbermaid container? I am assuming that these
containers are airtight. May be not enough for spice? Then is there
anyhtign made of plastic, i.e light material to store them and in fact
minimize space by placing them in the same container. I use them
rarely but I want to keep them; I am not ready to leave them behind
when I move.

I also have raw sesame seeds in a bottle. I was going to make hummus
but never got aorund to it except roast some of them. Bottles are
heavy to carry when I move. Even if I hire people, I still have to put
them in place. Beside, there is space issue in th condo I will be
moving to. So what if I put them in seperate ziplock bag? Do I need to
place the bag in airtight container? I have lots of rubber maid
container.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a few Indian spice in individual bottles but what if I do this:
> put each of them in ziplock bag and then place all these ziplock bags
> in a big airtight rubbermaid container? I am assuming that these
> containers are airtight. May be not enough for spice? Then is there
> anyhtign made of plastic, i.e light material to store them and in fact
> minimize space by placing them in the same container. I use them
> rarely but I want to keep them; I am not ready to leave them behind
> when I move.
>
> I also have raw sesame seeds in a bottle. I was going to make hummus
> but never got aorund to it except roast some of them. Bottles are
> heavy to carry when I move. Even if I hire people, I still have to put
> them in place. Beside, there is space issue in th condo I will be
> moving to. So what if I put them in seperate ziplock bag? Do I need to
> place the bag in airtight container? I have lots of rubber maid
> container.

I'm not really following this. Why do you want to store them? And where?
Like in a storage unit?

Spices are only good for so long and then they lose potency. That's why you
shouldn't buy too many at one time. Seeds will go rancid.

I would assume anything you have in a bottle would be safe to keep it in
there as is. I've made several coast to coast moves and the movers have
always moved my spices. They wrap each jar in paper. They'll move canned
goods too. They won't move perishables and in some cases liquids that might
spill onto other things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a few Indian spice in individual bottles but what if I do this:
> put each of them in ziplock bag and then place all these ziplock bags
> in a big airtight rubbermaid container? I am assuming that these
> containers are airtight. May be not enough for spice? Then is there
> anyhtign made of plastic, i.e light material to store them and in fact
> minimize space by placing them in the same container. I use them
> rarely but I want to keep them; I am not ready to leave them behind
> when I move.
>
> I also have raw sesame seeds in a bottle. I was going to make hummus
> but never got aorund to it except roast some of them. Bottles are
> heavy to carry when I move. Even if I hire people, I still have to put
> them in place. Beside, there is space issue in th condo I will be
> moving to. So what if I put them in seperate ziplock bag? Do I need to
> place the bag in airtight container? I have lots of rubber maid
> container.

Put what you want to store in a ziplock bag, compresss the air out, and
freeze it. You can take what you're going to use out of the freezer anytime.
This doesn't work as well for powders. All the Indian seasonings I buy are
the original seeds, and so forth, and I grind just before use.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 7, 10:26 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> >I have a few Indian spice in individual bottles but what if I do this:
> > put each of them in ziplock bag and then place all these ziplock bags
> > in a big airtight rubbermaid container? I am assuming that these
> > containers are airtight. May be not enough for spice? Then is there
> > anyhtign made of plastic, i.e light material to store them and in fact
> > minimize space by placing them in the same container. I use them
> > rarely but I want to keep them; I am not ready to leave them behind
> > when I move.

> > I also have raw sesame seeds in a bottle. I was going to make hummus
> > but never got aorund to it except roast some of them. Bottles are
> > heavy to carry when I move. Even if I hire people, I still have to put
> > them in place. Beside, there is space issue in th condo I will be
> > moving to. So what if I put them in seperate ziplock bag? Do I need to
> > place the bag in airtight container? I have lots of rubber maid
> > container.

> I'm not really following this. Why do you want to store them? And where?
> Like in a storage unit?

No, I want to take them with me..wherever I got, i.e contract job.
Living out of suitcase, you know? Only for some times.

> Spices are only good for so long and then they lose potency. That's why you
> shouldn't buy too many at one time. Seeds will go rancid.

The problem was I bought them and not use them. Then I threw away. But
I got a couple of new one recently liek 2 weeks - I like both + I
bougth some little packages stuff that I haven't even opened. For
example, this Tandoori spice was 2.00 for just a little bit like one
serving. It said now MSG, no artificial coloring, etc. The one that
are not new but still good, I think, are things like dried curry
leave. I don't make dal often enough and so I have a bunch left. They
are still good, well good enough for me. I don't plan to eat rice and
curry (especially Indian kind) but I wan to keep them.

> I would assume anything you have in a bottle would be safe to keep it in
> there as is. I've made several coast to coast moves and the movers have
> always moved my spices. They wrap each jar in paper.

I am not moving with movers for contract job. I will use them to store
my furniture only. You guys didn't read my post; makes me tired
having to explain so much when I said I want to keep them with *me*.
What's the point of storing food ina storage unless it is for a
couple of week?

> They'll move canned
> goods too. They won't move perishables and in some cases liquids that might
> spill onto other things.

I have red wine vinegar, etc. that are unopened. I am thinking to
have a luggage to carry my food item - dried food in pacakges like
mushroom and flowers used in Asian soup (I hate that they sell in big
packges only; I can never use them all quickly cus I don't make Asian
food that much; I don't know what cuisine my food would fall under)
and spice with me. I hate shopping and so I am thinking to find a way
to carry my dried noodle (many different kinds) as well. Hence luggage
idea.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 8, 3:33 pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> >I have a few Indian spice in individual bottles but what if I do this:
> > put each of them in ziplock bag and then place all these ziplock bags
> > in a big airtight rubbermaid container? I am assuming that these
> > containers are airtight. May be not enough for spice? Then is there
> > anyhtign made of plastic, i.e light material to store them and in fact
> > minimize space by placing them in the same container. I use them
> > rarely but I want to keep them; I am not ready to leave them behind
> > when I move.

> > I also have raw sesame seeds in a bottle. I was going to make hummus
> > but never got aorund to it except roast some of them. Bottles are
> > heavy to carry when I move. Even if I hire people, I still have to put
> > them in place. Beside, there is space issue in th condo I will be
> > moving to. So what if I put them in seperate ziplock bag? Do I need to
> > place the bag in airtight container? I have lots of rubber maid
> > container.

> Put what you want to store in a ziplock bag, compresss the air out, and
> freeze it. You can take what you're going to use out of the freezer anytime.
> This doesn't work as well for powders. All the Indian seasonings I buy are
> the original seeds, and so forth, and I grind just before use.

Grinding is out of the question for me though I have bought the seeds
as well. I don't like raw and so was going to roast first, the way
we do back home. But no time.

So, how about this? I put the spices in sandwich bags and then place
them in a ziplock bag and then place those in my 8 quart pressure
cooker. I can seal the weight thing with some strong tape. I'll start
a thread and see who'd say that pressure cooker would be considered
airtight if sealed that way.

> Kent- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 7, 10:26 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> >I have a few Indian spice in individual bottles but what if I do this:
> > put each of them in ziplock bag and then place all these ziplock bags
> > in a big airtight rubbermaid container? I am assuming that these
> > containers are airtight. May be not enough for spice? Then is there
> > anyhtign made of plastic, i.e light material to store them and in fact
> > minimize space by placing them in the same container. I use them
> > rarely but I want to keep them; I am not ready to leave them behind
> > when I move.

> > I also have raw sesame seeds in a bottle. I was going to make hummus
> > but never got aorund to it except roast some of them. Bottles are
> > heavy to carry when I move. Even if I hire people, I still have to put
> > them in place. Beside, there is space issue in th condo I will be
> > moving to. So what if I put them in seperate ziplock bag? Do I need to
> > place the bag in airtight container? I have lots of rubber maid
> > container.

> I'm not really following this. Why do you want to store them? And where?
> Like in a storage unit?
>
> Spices are only good for so long and then they lose potency. That's why you
> shouldn't buy too many at one time. Seeds will go rancid.
>
> I would assume anything you have in a bottle would be safe to keep it in
> there as is. I've made several coast to coast moves and the movers have
> always moved my spices. They wrap each jar in paper. They'll move canned
> goods too. They won't move perishables and in some cases liquids that might
> spill onto other things.

You know what? If I go far enough - anything more than 5 hours is far
- for a job assignment and ship the car, I'll put those those stuff in
the car.