Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Corning Ware

Hi Everybody:

I just signed in and I'm curious to find out if anyone here owns any
Corning Ware, Spice of Life cookware. I own two pieces, one is a 1
quart square baking dish with lid and a 3 quart baking dish with lid.
I have always used it for baking dinner although under the handle of
both pieces it says: stovetop, oven, microwave. I would not be afraid
to use it on the top of a gas stove, however the stove I'm using right
now is electric and I'm scared to put it on the heating element. A
long time ago, I split a large cast iron frying pan in half by heating
a tortilla in it on an electric hot plate so I don't want that to
happen to my Corning Ware. I love my Corning Ware and I want to cook
with it on the stove top. Are any of you cooking on an electric stove
using your Corning cookware?

Cheekygrrl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I split a large cast iron frying pan in half by heating
> a tortilla in it on an electric hot plate so I don't want that to
> happen to my Corning Ware. I love my Corning Ware and I want to cook
> with it on the stove top. Are any of you cooking on an electric stove
> using your Corning cookware?

Pretty impressive that you broke a cast iron pan in half. It probably had
something to do with putting the cold pan onto an already hot plate.

Heat them both up at the same time.

That's my guess, anyway..

Best,

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'd also add, if the pan is much wider than the electric coil, what's in
contact with the coil will heat up faster than any overhanging part of the
pan causing some measure of "heat stress" causing breakage.

Keep the pan or corningware down to the size of the coil. Again, heating the
pan and coil at the same time.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy > wrote in :

> I'd also add, if the pan is much wider than the electric coil, what's
> in contact with the coil will heat up faster than any overhanging part
> of the pan causing some measure of "heat stress" causing breakage.
>
> Keep the pan or corningware down to the size of the coil. Again,
> heating the pan and coil at the same time.
>
> Andy

I've been using mine on the stovetop for years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 May 2009 19:52:18 -0500, Andy > wrote:

>It probably had
>something to do with putting the cold pan onto an already hot plate.

No, it didn't Andy. I do that all the time with my cast iron pans and
they are decades old.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 May 2009 20:10:53 -0500, Andy > wrote:

>I'd also add, if the pan is much wider than the electric coil, what's in
>contact with the coil will heat up faster than any overhanging part of the
>pan causing some measure of "heat stress" causing breakage.
>
>Keep the pan or corningware down to the size of the coil. Again, heating the
>pan and coil at the same time.

Again, no problem with cast iron. BTDT.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Hi Everybody:
>
> I just signed in and I'm curious to find out if anyone here owns any
> Corning Ware, Spice of Life cookware. I own two pieces, one is a 1
> quart square baking dish with lid and a 3 quart baking dish with lid.
> I have always used it for baking dinner although under the handle of
> both pieces it says: stovetop, oven, microwave. I would not be afraid
> to use it on the top of a gas stove, however the stove I'm using right
> now is electric and I'm scared to put it on the heating element. A
> long time ago, I split a large cast iron frying pan in half by heating
> a tortilla in it on an electric hot plate so I don't want that to
> happen to my Corning Ware. I love my Corning Ware and I want to cook
> with it on the stove top. Are any of you cooking on an electric stove
> using your Corning cookware?
>
> Cheekygrrl

We've used Corningware on the stove top, both electric and gas, for over 30
years Never broke a piece.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 8, 8:43*pm, wrote:
> Hi Everybody:
>
> I just signed in and I'm curious to find out if anyone here owns any
> Corning Ware, Spice of Life cookware. *I own two pieces, one is a 1
> quart square baking dish with lid and a 3 quart baking dish with lid.
> I have always used it for baking dinner although under the handle of
> both pieces it says: stovetop, oven, microwave. *I would not be afraid
> to use it on the top of a gas stove, however the stove I'm using right
> now is electric and I'm scared to put it on the heating element. *A
> long time ago, I split a large cast iron frying pan in half by heating
> a tortilla in it on an electric hot plate so I don't want that to
> happen to my Corning Ware. *I love my Corning Ware and I want to cook
> with it on the stove top. *Are any of you cooking on an electric stove
> using your Corning cookware?
>
> Cheekygrrl

If you're going to try using your Corning on top of the stove, be sure
you have more than just a tortilla in it. A ldecent quahntity of
liquid or moist ingredients will keep it from cracking.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 8, 10:08*pm, elaich > wrote:
> Andy > wrote :
>
> > I'd also add, if the pan is much wider than the electric coil, what's
> > in contact with the coil will heat up faster than any overhanging part
> > of the pan causing some measure of "heat stress" causing breakage.

> > Keep the pan or corningware down to the size of the coil. Again,
> > heating the pan and coil at the same time.

> > Andy

> I've been using mine on the stovetop for years.

I have one square (9"?) piece of Corningware. I love it. It is
easier to wash than any other material. I should buy more. My mother
used Corningware for frozen vegetables, and I do the same thing.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> Hi Everybody:
>>
>> I just signed in and I'm curious to find out if anyone here owns any
>> Corning Ware, Spice of Life cookware. I own two pieces, one is a 1
>> quart square baking dish with lid and a 3 quart baking dish with lid.
>> I have always used it for baking dinner although under the handle of
>> both pieces it says: stovetop, oven, microwave. I would not be afraid
>> to use it on the top of a gas stove, however the stove I'm using right
>> now is electric and I'm scared to put it on the heating element. A
>> long time ago, I split a large cast iron frying pan in half by heating
>> a tortilla in it on an electric hot plate so I don't want that to
>> happen to my Corning Ware. I love my Corning Ware and I want to cook
>> with it on the stove top. Are any of you cooking on an electric stove
>> using your Corning cookware?
>>
>> Cheekygrrl

> We've used Corningware on the stove top, both electric and gas, for over 30
> years Never broke a piece.

I wonder whether, like Pyrex, the quality might have deteriorated
over the years? And, actually, as I typed "Pyrex", I started
wondering whether the difference there is between Pyrex and
Pyrex-like materials?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message

> I wonder whether, like Pyrex, the quality might have deteriorated over the
> years? And, actually, as I typed "Pyrex", I started wondering whether the
> difference there is between Pyrex and Pyrex-like materials?

Pyrex is the brand name for a particular type of glass made by Corning
Glass. In the past it was borosilicate glass but now it can be tempered
soda lime glass. The Pyrex line has been sold to World Kitchen. I have no
idea if the new type is as good as the old.

The Corningware material is different than the Pyrex and has ceramic-glass
origins, I believe, but that was changed to a stoneware in 1990. .

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message

> I wonder whether, like Pyrex, the quality might have deteriorated over the
> years?

After my last post, I found this. "My lawyer made me say it."

http://www.pyrexware.com/thetruthaboutpyrex/index.htm

The Truth About Pyrex

PYREX® is and always has been safe for use in accordance with its
Safety & Usage Instructions.

PYREX® glass bakeware has an excellent safety record, established over
decades. The Consumer Product Safety Commission, the federal agency charged
with protecting consumers, maintains a database of injury reports to
identify potentially hazardous products, and these records do not indicate
any safety issue with glass bakeware. There has never been a recall of PYREX
glass bakeware.

PYREX® glass bakeware is used in an estimated 80 percent of U.S.
homes. Since 1998 World Kitchen has manufactured nearly 370 million PYREX®
glass products for sale in the marketplace. A very small number of consumers
have reported to World Kitchen that their PYREX® glass bakeware unexpectedly
broke. Breakage can occur when any brand of glass bakeware is subjected to
severe temperature changes or other misuse that our Safety & Usage
Instructions specifically warn against.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 May 2009 19:52:18 -0500, Andy > wrote:

>> I split a large cast iron frying pan in half by heating
>> a tortilla in it on an electric hot plate so I don't want that to
>> happen to my Corning Ware. I love my Corning Ware and I want to cook
>> with it on the stove top. Are any of you cooking on an electric stove
>> using your Corning cookware?

>Pretty impressive that you broke a cast iron pan in half. It probably had
>something to do with putting the cold pan onto an already hot plate.

There's an interesting thing that happens when you put metal
utensils on an electric hot plate that has an exposed CalRod
heating element. The hotplate electricity can short-circuit
itself on the metal pot. To see this, put an aluminum pie pan
on that hot plate and watch for sparks. Rule: no electrically
conductive ware on that type of hot plate without an
insulator in between. OK to use iron on electric hotplates
with ceramic tops, though.

You might have created bands of intense heat in that
skillet's base, and that promoted the cracking.

Corningware should be ok. My mother used that
stuff on her electric stove all her life. BTW; a gas
flame is much hotter, I think, than an electric
heating element. Anyone got any numbers on that?

Alex

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chemiker" > wrote in message
> stuff on her electric stove all her life. BTW; a gas
> flame is much hotter, I think, than an electric
> heating element. Anyone got any numbers on that?
>
> Alex

Electric ranges have elements that are 1500 watts to 3000 watts. 3000 watts
= 10,000 Btu
Average gas range has burners 8,000 to 12,000 Btu

High end gas ranges have burners to 20,000 Btu.

So, for typical appliances, not much difference, but you can get lots more
power on the higher end gas.

Other considerations is efficiency, such as having proper contact with the
element, proper diameter pot to the burner, heat loss up the side, etc.
The winner is - - - - it all depends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Pyrex is the brand name for a particular type of glass made by Corning
> Glass. In the past it was borosilicate glass but now it can be tempered
> soda lime glass. The Pyrex line has been sold to World Kitchen. I have no
> idea if the new type is as good as the old.

What's up with those new "classic" Pyrex glass measuring cups with the
chincy little handle now? That open handle is small and more slippery in
your hand then the older ones with a full closed handle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message

> What's up with those new "classic" Pyrex glass measuring cups with the
> chincy little handle now? That open handle is small and more slippery in
> your hand then the older ones with a full closed handle.

Probably easier to make with no close offs or core pulls in the mold, plus
they stack better. Probably save on shipping cost at the factory too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 09 May 2009 12:31:54p, Goomba told us...

> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> Pyrex is the brand name for a particular type of glass made by Corning
>> Glass. In the past it was borosilicate glass but now it can be
>> tempered soda lime glass. The Pyrex line has been sold to World
>> Kitchen. I have no idea if the new type is as good as the old.

> What's up with those new "classic" Pyrex glass measuring cups with the
> chincy little handle now? That open handle is small and more slippery in
> your hand then the older ones with a full closed handle.

It's actually been that way for some time, and I *hate* the new handles.
Anchor Hocking held out a lot longer with older loop handles, but even they
have switched over to the new handle style. Damn them all.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Nobody seems more obsessed by diet than our anti ~materialistic,

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> What's up with those new "classic" Pyrex glass measuring cups with the
>> chincy little handle now? That open handle is small and more slippery in
>> your hand then the older ones with a full closed handle.
>>

> It's actually been that way for some time, and I *hate* the new handles.
> Anchor Hocking held out a lot longer with older loop handles, but even they
> have switched over to the new handle style. Damn them all.

Don't you agree that they feel unstable in your hand? Especially when
filled with a hot liquid?

I think I'm going to have to go and keep an eye out for the older glass
liquid measuring cups with the loop handles. I feel a bit nostalgic
about the Cornflower Corning pattern as that is what my mother had for
all her years and I went to a local antiques store a while back and
found a bunch. Now I'm gonna get nostalgic over measuring cups.....!??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 09 May 2009 02:44:54p, Goomba told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>>> What's up with those new "classic" Pyrex glass measuring cups with the
>>> chincy little handle now? That open handle is small and more slippery
>>> in
>>> your hand then the older ones with a full closed handle.
>>>

>> It's actually been that way for some time, and I *hate* the new
>> handles. Anchor Hocking held out a lot longer with older loop handles,
>> but even they have switched over to the new handle style. Damn them
>> all.
>>

> Don't you agree that they feel unstable in your hand? Especially when
> filled with a hot liquid?
>
> I think I'm going to have to go and keep an eye out for the older glass
> liquid measuring cups with the loop handles. I feel a bit nostalgic
> about the Cornflower Corning pattern as that is what my mother had for
> all her years and I went to a local antiques store a while back and
> found a bunch. Now I'm gonna get nostalgic over measuring cups.....!??

Check eBay for the measuring cups. I doubt seriously if you'll find them
in a store. I prefer the Anchor Hocking over the Pyrex.

My mother never collecting too many Corningware pieces, just a couple of
casseroles, but they had multi-color flours on them.

--
Wayne Boatwright
I've been on a constant diet for the last two decades. I've lost a

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> It's actually been that way for some time, and I *hate* the new
>>> handles. Anchor Hocking held out a lot longer with older loop handles,
>>> but even they have switched over to the new handle style. Damn them
>>> all.
>>>

>> Don't you agree that they feel unstable in your hand? Especially when
>> filled with a hot liquid?
>>
>> I think I'm going to have to go and keep an eye out for the older glass
>> liquid measuring cups with the loop handles. I feel a bit nostalgic
>> about the Cornflower Corning pattern as that is what my mother had for
>> all her years and I went to a local antiques store a while back and
>> found a bunch. Now I'm gonna get nostalgic over measuring cups.....!??
>>

> Check eBay for the measuring cups. I doubt seriously if you'll find them
> in a store. I prefer the Anchor Hocking over the Pyrex.
>
> My mother never collecting too many Corningware pieces, just a couple of
> casseroles, but they had multi-color flours on them.

I think we've got one left from our sixties collection. I use it in the
microwave and the oven but I have other pans and pots for the stove top.

Still have a couple of Anchor Hocking glass casseroles that must be
thirty or forty years old plus a Pyrex 2-cup measuring cup about that old.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 8, 10:08*pm, elaich > wrote:
> Andy > wrote :
>
> > I'd also add, if the pan is much wider than the electric coil, what's
> > in contact with the coil will heat up faster than any overhanging part
> > of the pan causing some measure of "heat stress" causing breakage.

> > Keep the pan or corningware down to the size of the coil. Again,
> > heating the pan and coil at the same time.

> > Andy

> I've been using mine on the stovetop for years.

I just bought a bunch on eBay. The old fashioned Pyroceram Corning
Ware rocks. It cleans up so much easier than stainless, you can use
metal in it, and it does well in the dishwasher. I got:

Item number: 200345072687
Item number: 330332516920
Item number: 310143899025
Item number: 330332618031
Item number: 350205625857

All for decent prices.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® said...

> I just bought a bunch on eBay. The old fashioned Pyroceram Corning
> Ware rocks. It cleans up so much easier than stainless, you can use
> metal in it, and it does well in the dishwasher. I got:
>
> Item number: 200345072687
> Item number: 330332516920
> Item number: 310143899025
> Item number: 330332618031
> Item number: 350205625857
>
> All for decent prices.

Nice stuff!

My brother made off with the family Corningware. The BUM!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 31, 6:34*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Bobo Bonobo® said...
>
> > I just bought a bunch on eBay. *The old fashioned Pyroceram Corning
> > Ware rocks. *It cleans up so much easier than stainless, you can use
> > metal in it, and it does well in the dishwasher. *I got:

> > Item number: 200345072687
> > Item number: 330332516920
> > Item number: 310143899025
> > Item number: 330332618031
> > Item number: 350205625857

> > All for decent prices.

> Nice stuff!

Even better, I just nailed this one:
Item number: 200347238795
It's a 5 quart dutch oven. It's easily the best piece of cookware
I've ever owned.

> My brother made off with the family Corningware. The BUM!!!

I think that one of my siblings ended up with my dear mother's Corning
Ware, but I ended up being the best cook of the five, though I'm also
the only one who isn't thin.

You know, if you watch eBay you can get some deals All the stuff I
bought totaled under $130. The prices won't be dropping on the stuff
unless the bottom falls out, which I consider increasingly unlikely.
They haven't made it since 1987, and are unlikely to since there's
still so much out there, and most people don't understand how nice it
is. I know I'm paying a premium because people collect it, but not
too much. Sure, it'd be elegant to have plates and creamers and such
to match, but those pieces are more uncommon (not really rare), and
fetch prices I don't want to pay.

One thing I remember fondly from childhood is frozen spinach cooked in
the square Corning Ware. It was the only green veggie I liked, and I
more than like it. I loved it. My first use of my new dishes should
be a quiche, where my wife makes the crust--a very thin but flaky
butter crust. Pre-bake the crust, then add filling where the eggs are
separated, the whites beaten then gently folded into the yolk/spinach
mixture, then put into the chilled crust, baked, and cheese added to
the top at the end and browned slightly. I'd use mushrooms too, but
then my son wouldn't eat it. He really wants to learn to cook because
he wants to be independent, but maybe also because his same-sex parent
is the family's cook.

A thought that I had for the giant dutch oven is a simple lamb stew
where the lamb is browned, the pan deglazed and used for a slurry of
cake flour with a smidge of oregano, then baked covered with potato
chunks and freshly cracked peppercorns, topped with a few chopped
fresh rosemary leaves from the garden. I could serve it with lemon
wedges, and a side of buttered peas (which I wouldn't eat because I
don't like peas). My father in-law really likes lamb, and his
namesake grandson could help prepare it. Perhaps a few finely cubed
carrots too, but very few, or instead the carrots could go on top,
instead of cubed, shredded with a veggie peeler.
Maybe apply the carrots in a crossing pattern for color.

There's only one item left to buy. I'm keeping my eyes open for a
double boiler (not Corning Ware). Of course, when my wife sees how
pretty the stuff is, I'll have to look for her a couple of pie
dishes. She's the baker. Follows instructions to the letter. I'm
the cook. I think, "Recipe? I don't need no stinkin' piece o' paper
to tell me how to cook."

> Andy

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® said...

> [...]

> chunks and freshly cracked peppercorns, topped with a few chopped
> fresh rosemary leaves from the garden. I could serve it with lemon
> wedges, and a side of buttered peas (which I wouldn't eat because I
> don't like peas). My father in-law really likes lamb, and his
> namesake grandson could help prepare it. Perhaps a few finely cubed
> carrots too, but very few, or instead the carrots could go on top,
> instead of cubed, shredded with a veggie peeler.
> Maybe apply the carrots in a crossing pattern for color.
>
> There's only one item left to buy. I'm keeping my eyes open for a
> double boiler (not Corning Ware). Of course, when my wife sees how
> pretty the stuff is, I'll have to look for her a couple of pie
> dishes. She's the baker. Follows instructions to the letter. I'm
> the cook. I think, "Recipe? I don't need no stinkin' piece o' paper

Bryan,

I guess it's safe to say you're a motivated bidder! And it appears you're
not starving!

I bought two things off ebay. $1.00 antenna toppers for the car.

I remember when my brother closed his printing business I got to witness
the seller's end firsthand. He sold every part of the business he could on
ebay. It was a dreadful chore, imho!!!

Best,

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.

Storing Corning Ware Metspitzer General Cooking 136 30-09-2013 09:33 PM
Corning Ware with Pop-In Robert Love Cooking Equipment 3 26-03-2006 03:25 PM
NON-STICK KITHCEN-WARE (COOK-WARE) - NO TOXIC C-8 Stalaflon General Cooking 1 18-02-2005 07:03 PM
Corning beef Bubba Barbecue 41 14-12-2004 05:27 AM
Bake a cake in Corning Ware? JM Baking 2 23-08-2004 02:49 AM