Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Honey... no expiration date :)

From the Smithsonian:

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/scie...0825-Weekender

or

http://tinyurl.com/k2smhpm

Now I know I don't have to worry about the jar of honey I have which is
labelled 2005. The jar has never been opened. It's clover honey. It
looks good, should taste good. Maybe drizzled on some biscuits with
butter...

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> From the Smithsonian:
>
> http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/scie...0825-Weekender
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/k2smhpm
>
> Now I know I don't have to worry about the jar of honey I have which is
> labelled 2005. The jar has never been opened. It's clover honey. It
> looks good, should taste good. Maybe drizzled on some biscuits with
> butter...

I need to buy some honey myself. I'm planning a trip soon to my local
healthfood store. They sell several kinds of organic honey. My
favorite is "Orange Blossom Honey" from bee hives in orange country
in Florida.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> From the Smithsonian:
>>
>> http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/scie...0825-Weekender
>>
>> or
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/k2smhpm
>>
>> Now I know I don't have to worry about the jar of honey I have which is
>> labelled 2005. The jar has never been opened. It's clover honey. It
>> looks good, should taste good. Maybe drizzled on some biscuits with
>> butter...

> I need to buy some honey myself. I'm planning a trip soon to my local
> healthfood store. They sell several kinds of organic honey. My
> favorite is "Orange Blossom Honey" from bee hives in orange country
> in Florida.

About the only thing that is *not* organic in the local "healthfood" store
is the honey. I used to keep bees and you can't guarantee where the bees are
getting the nectar; it could come from a non-organic source. Not only that,
it's virtually impossible to keep a hive healthy without dosing the winter
feed with sulpha drugs to keep nasty infections at bay.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/08/2013 17:10, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> From the Smithsonian:
>>
>> http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/scie...0825-Weekender
>>
>> or
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/k2smhpm
>>
>> Now I know I don't have to worry about the jar of honey I have which is
>> labelled 2005. The jar has never been opened. It's clover honey. It
>> looks good, should taste good. Maybe drizzled on some biscuits with
>> butter...

> I need to buy some honey myself. I'm planning a trip soon to my local
> healthfood store. They sell several kinds of organic honey. My
> favorite is "Orange Blossom Honey" from bee hives in orange country
> in Florida.
>
> G.

My Father used to keep bees. All his honey after a year, though still
fine, became solid.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:

> About the only thing that is *not* organic in the local "healthfood" store
> is the honey. I used to keep bees and you can't guarantee where the bees are
> getting the nectar; it could come from a non-organic source. Not only that,
> it's virtually impossible to keep a hive healthy without dosing the winter
> feed with sulpha drugs to keep nasty infections at bay.

I won't argue with you there. They claim organic but you are
correct...no one knows where those bees fly to. These are from hives
kept near orange orchards but they don't really know if that's where
the bees go. Regardless...I like the taste and I really don't care
about organic anyway. Just give me some honey, dammit.

One could actually zest a bit of orange peel into any kind of honey
for that taste.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/25/2013 12:10 PM, Gary wrote:

> I need to buy some honey myself. I'm planning a trip soon to my local
> healthfood store. They sell several kinds of organic honey.

I have noticed colorful beehives around the area this summer.
I'd love to get a picture but they aren't in areas where I care
to get out of the car. Just this week a sign was added, where to
buy this honey. I am definitely making a drive to get some.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 13:16:02 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> These are from hives
>kept near orange orchards but they don't really know if that's where
>the bees go. Regardless...I like the taste and I really don't care
>about organic anyway. Just give me some honey, dammit.
>
>One could actually zest a bit of orange peel into any kind of honey
>for that taste.
>
>G.

Growing up, orange blossom was the most popular type of honey in the
store that I recall. When I think of honey, that is the taste I think
of. Some of the darker types are not as pleasing for me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 25, 2013 10:16:02 AM UTC-7, Gary wrote:
> graham wrote:
>

> > About the only thing that is *not* organic in the local "healthfood" store

> > is the honey. I used to keep bees and you can't guarantee where the bees are

> > getting the nectar; it could come from a non-organic source. Not only that,

> > it's virtually impossible to keep a hive healthy without dosing the winter

> > feed with sulpha drugs to keep nasty infections at bay.

> I won't argue with you there. They claim organic but you are
>
> correct...no one knows where those bees fly to. These are from hives
>
> kept near orange orchards but they don't really know if that's where
>
> the bees go. Regardless...I like the taste and I really don't care
>
> about organic anyway. Just give me some honey, dammit.
>

> One could actually zest a bit of orange peel into any kind of honey
>
> for that taste.
>

> G.

I had a relative in Italy that kept bees- the honey was called 1000 flowers, and it was the best honey I ever had.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/08/2013 2:32 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Growing up, orange blossom was the most popular type of honey in the
> store that I recall. When I think of honey, that is the taste I think
> of. Some of the darker types are not as pleasing for me.

Many years ago we used to buy fall flower honey at a local health food
store. It was really good, but I have not been able to find it in years.
My father used to like buckwheat honey. I like it once in a while but
only buy it in very small amounts.

Speaking of which, my allergies seem to be acting up these days. Maybe I
should get back into the honey eating routine. I used to have it on
toast in the morning, but I rarely have toast these days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 8/25/2013 2:34 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Many years ago we used to buy fall flower honey at a local health food
> store. It was really good, but I have not been able to find it in years.
> My father used to like buckwheat honey. I like it once in a while but
> only buy it in very small amounts.
>
> Speaking of which, my allergies seem to be acting up these days. Maybe I
> should get back into the honey eating routine. I used to have it on
> toast in the morning, but I rarely have toast these days.

Coincidentally, one of AB's "Good Eats" show today (2013-08-25 rerun
from 2001) was about honey. There was a text popup during the show that
said eating local honey can help those who suffer allergies and hay
fever to have less symptoms. I've heard this before from a few
difference sources, although I can't provide any citations without
Googleling. Remember, GIYF - or any other search engine for that matter

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 12:04:07 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> From the Smithsonian:
>
>http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/scie...0825-Weekender
>
>or
>
>http://tinyurl.com/k2smhpm
>
>Now I know I don't have to worry about the jar of honey I have which is
>labelled 2005. The jar has never been opened. It's clover honey. It
>looks good, should taste good. Maybe drizzled on some biscuits with
>butter...

You got me there for a minute with that subject title
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 18:05:00 +0100, Broadback
> wrote:

>On 25/08/2013 17:10, Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> From the Smithsonian:
>>>
>>> http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/scie...0825-Weekender
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/k2smhpm
>>>
>>> Now I know I don't have to worry about the jar of honey I have which is
>>> labelled 2005. The jar has never been opened. It's clover honey. It
>>> looks good, should taste good. Maybe drizzled on some biscuits with
>>> butter...

>> I need to buy some honey myself. I'm planning a trip soon to my local
>> healthfood store. They sell several kinds of organic honey. My
>> favorite is "Orange Blossom Honey" from bee hives in orange country
>> in Florida.
>>
>> G.
>>

>My Father used to keep bees. All his honey after a year, though still
>fine, became solid.

Candied.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> From the Smithsonian:
>
> http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/scie...0825-Weekender
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/k2smhpm
>
> Now I know I don't have to worry about the jar of honey I have which is
> labelled 2005. The jar has never been opened. It's clover honey. It
> looks good, should taste good. Maybe drizzled on some biscuits with
> butter...
>
> Jill

I just used up some really old honey. One was an unopened tiny jar. It was
rather hard. The other was the dregs of a bear. It had crystalized. I
just ran both under hot water to soften.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Gary > wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > From the Smithsonian:
> >
> > http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/scie...0825-Weekender
> >
> > or
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/k2smhpm
> >
> > Now I know I don't have to worry about the jar of honey I have which is
> > labelled 2005. The jar has never been opened. It's clover honey. It
> > looks good, should taste good. Maybe drizzled on some biscuits with
> > butter...

> I need to buy some honey myself. I'm planning a trip soon to my local
> healthfood store. They sell several kinds of organic honey. My
> favorite is "Orange Blossom Honey" from bee hives in orange country
> in Florida.

Orange blossom honey is very good indeed.
My favorite that I can get here is blackberry honey.
My all time favorite is blueberry honey I got in Massachusetts.
There also was that wonderful cranberry bog honey.

--
Michael Press
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/08/2013 4:00 PM, Sky wrote:

>> Speaking of which, my allergies seem to be acting up these days. Maybe I
>> should get back into the honey eating routine. I used to have it on
>> toast in the morning, but I rarely have toast these days.

> Coincidentally, one of AB's "Good Eats" show today (2013-08-25 rerun
> from 2001) was about honey. There was a text popup during the show that
> said eating local honey can help those who suffer allergies and hay
> fever to have less symptoms. I've heard this before from a few
> difference sources, although I can't provide any citations without
> Googleling. Remember, GIYF - or any other search engine for that matter

Don't Google it on my account. I am quite convinced that eating local
honey helps to deal with allergies. I have had allergies for years but
they were never really serious, perhaps because I frequently had toast
with local honey. My wife has more serious allergies and she never eats
honey. I have not been eating toast with honey this year and my
allergies are about the worst they have ever been. That ain't exactly
empirical research but it works for me.

Now I am in a bind. I am thinking I should eat more toast with honey.
Having had my gall bladder out I am thinking maybe I can start eating
marmalade and real oranges again. Decisions decisions decisions.

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcquown[_2_] View Post
From the Smithsonian:

The Science Behind Honey's Eternal Shelf Life | Surprising Science

or

http://tinyurl.com/k2smhpm

Now I know I don't have to worry about the jar of honey I have which is
labelled 2005. The jar has never been opened. It's clover honey. It
looks good, should taste good. Maybe drizzled on some biscuits with
butter...

Jill
That must be why they buried it with the Pharoes. The stuff has a long shelf life. Try Mesquite honey sometime. Yum yum.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> graham wrote:
>>
>> About the only thing that is *not* organic in the local "healthfood"
>> store
>> is the honey. I used to keep bees and you can't guarantee where the bees
>> are
>> getting the nectar; it could come from a non-organic source. Not only
>> that,
>> it's virtually impossible to keep a hive healthy without dosing the
>> winter
>> feed with sulpha drugs to keep nasty infections at bay.

> I won't argue with you there. They claim organic but you are
> correct...no one knows where those bees fly to. These are from hives
> kept near orange orchards but they don't really know if that's where
> the bees go. Regardless...I like the taste and I really don't care
> about organic anyway. Just give me some honey, dammit.
>
> One could actually zest a bit of orange peel into any kind of honey
> for that taste.

One year the bees were next to a field of clover. The flavour was gorgeous.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/25/2013 1:05 PM, Broadback wrote:
> On 25/08/2013 17:10, Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> From the Smithsonian:
>>>
>>> http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/scie...0825-Weekender
>>>

>>> or
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/k2smhpm
>>>
>>> Now I know I don't have to worry about the jar of honey I have which is
>>> labelled 2005. The jar has never been opened. It's clover honey. It
>>> looks good, should taste good. Maybe drizzled on some biscuits with
>>> butter...

>> I need to buy some honey myself. I'm planning a trip soon to my local
>> healthfood store. They sell several kinds of organic honey. My
>> favorite is "Orange Blossom Honey" from bee hives in orange country
>> in Florida.
>>
>> G.
>>

> My Father used to keep bees. All his honey after a year, though still
> fine, became solid.

Was it chilled?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/25/2013 5:19 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 12:04:07 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> From the Smithsonian:
>>
>> http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/scie...0825-Weekender
>>
>> or
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/k2smhpm
>>
>> Now I know I don't have to worry about the jar of honey I have which is
>> labelled 2005. The jar has never been opened. It's clover honey. It
>> looks good, should taste good. Maybe drizzled on some biscuits with
>> butter...

> You got me there for a minute with that subject title

What were you expecting?!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 15:34:11 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Speaking of which, my allergies seem to be acting up these days. Maybe I
>should get back into the honey eating routine. I used to have it on
>toast in the morning, but I rarely have toast these days.

I like it on toasted rye bread. Maybe for breakfast tomorrow.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 22:28:39 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 8/25/2013 1:05 PM, Broadback wrote:
> >>

> > My Father used to keep bees. All his honey after a year, though still
> > fine, became solid.

> Was it chilled?

That's what happens in my house. I keep it over the stove, but it
still solidifies (too cool in the house for honey to stay liquid
during the winter months and it's never warm enough to reliquify).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/08/2013 11:15 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 15:34:11 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>

>> Speaking of which, my allergies seem to be acting up these days. Maybe I
>> should get back into the honey eating routine. I used to have it on
>> toast in the morning, but I rarely have toast these days.

> I like it on toasted rye bread. Maybe for breakfast tomorrow.

I like honey on burnt toast.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 25, 2013 11:04:07 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
> From the Smithsonian:
>

> http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/scie...0825-Weekender
>

> or
>

> http://tinyurl.com/k2smhpm
>

> Now I know I don't have to worry about the jar of honey I have which is
>
> labelled 2005. The jar has never been opened. It's clover honey. It
>
> looks good, should taste good. Maybe drizzled on some biscuits with
>
> butter...
>

> Jill

I thought everyone knew honey never goes 'bad.' If it becomes crystalline just set it in a pan of very warm water to soften. Good as new.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I thought everyone knew honey never goes 'bad.' If it becomes crystalline
> just set it in a pan of very warm water to soften. Good as new.

Or nuke it on low! Much easier and faster.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 26, 2013 2:37:52 PM UTC-4, graham wrote:
> > I thought everyone knew honey never goes 'bad.' If it becomes crystalline
> > just set it in a pan of very warm water to soften. Good as new.

> Or nuke it on low! Much easier and faster.
>
> Graham

I prefer my honey to be radiation free.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Helpful person" > wrote in message
> On Monday, August 26, 2013 2:37:52 PM UTC-4, graham wrote:
>> > I thought everyone knew honey never goes 'bad.' If it becomes
>> > crystalline
>> > just set it in a pan of very warm water to soften. Good as new.

>> Or nuke it on low! Much easier and faster.
>>
>> Graham

> I prefer my honey to be radiation free.

good luck dissolving the crystals without radiation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 26, 2013 4:03:21 PM UTC-4, Pico Rico wrote:
> "Helpful person" wrote in message
>
> > I prefer my honey to be radiation free.

> good luck dissolving the crystals without radiation.

Just kidding, although I prefer putting the
honey jar in a bowl of hot water.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/26/2013 3:54 PM, Helpful person wrote:
> On Monday, August 26, 2013 2:37:52 PM UTC-4, graham wrote:
>>> I thought everyone knew honey never goes 'bad.' If it becomes crystalline
>>> just set it in a pan of very warm water to soften. Good as new.

>> Or nuke it on low! Much easier and faster.
>>
>> Graham

> I prefer my honey to be radiation free.

Don't be silly!

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 25, 2013 12:34:11 PM UTC-7, Dave Smith wrote:

> Speaking of which, my allergies seem to be acting up these days. Maybe I
> should get back into the honey eating routine. I used to have it on
> toast in the morning, but I rarely have toast these days.----

I only ever put a little honey into my tea -- even coffee once in a great while.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sunday, August 25, 2013 12:34:11 PM UTC-7, Dave Smith wrote:
>

>> Speaking of which, my allergies seem to be acting up these days. Maybe I
>> should get back into the honey eating routine. I used to have it on
>> toast in the morning, but I rarely have toast these days.----

> I only ever put a little honey into my tea -- even coffee once in a great
> while.

I eat my peas with honey.
I've done it all my life.
It makes the peas taste funny
but it keeps them on the knife!

They don't come any older, folks!
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sunday, August 25, 2013 12:34:11 PM UTC-7, Dave Smith wrote:
>

>> Speaking of which, my allergies seem to be acting up these days. Maybe I
>> should get back into the honey eating routine. I used to have it on
>> toast in the morning, but I rarely have toast these days.----

> I only ever put a little honey into my tea -- even coffee once in a great
> while.

Honey has been found in places like Egyptian tombs. Still good!

http://www.omg-facts.com/Science/Hon...ver-Spoils/696

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/26/2013 1:28 PM, wrote:
> On Sunday, August 25, 2013 11:04:07 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
>> From the Smithsonian:

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/scie...0825-Weekender

>> or
>>

>> http://tinyurl.com/k2smhpm
>>

>> Now I know I don't have to worry about the jar of honey I have which is
>>
>> labelled 2005. The jar has never been opened. It's clover honey. It
>>
>> looks good, should taste good. Maybe drizzled on some biscuits with
>>
>> butter...
>>

>> Jill

> I thought everyone knew honey never goes 'bad.' If it becomes crystalline just set it in a pan of very warm water to soften. Good as new.

I knew it. I learned it during a trivia game on a cruise ship

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> On 25/08/2013 2:32 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>

> > Growing up, orange blossom was the most popular type of honey in the
> > store that I recall. When I think of honey, that is the taste I think
> > of. Some of the darker types are not as pleasing for me.
> >

> Many years ago we used to buy fall flower honey at a local health food
> store. It was really good, but I have not been able to find it in years.
> My father used to like buckwheat honey. I like it once in a while but
> only buy it in very small amounts.
>
> Speaking of which, my allergies seem to be acting up these days. Maybe I
> should get back into the honey eating routine. I used to have it on
> toast in the morning, but I rarely have toast these days.

See if you can find a honey made locally.
That is the best for settling an allergy.

Something else to do is to wash your face,
and wash your eyes with Johnson & Johnson
baby shampoo a few times a day. Fresh water
rinse or shampoo your hair if you've been out
and heavily exposed to pollens.

--
Michael Press
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 25, 2013 12:16:02 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> graham wrote:
>

> > About the only thing that is *not* organic in the local "healthfood" store

> > is the honey. I used to keep bees and you can't guarantee where the bees are

> > getting the nectar; it could come from a non-organic source. Not only that,

> > it's virtually impossible to keep a hive healthy without dosing the winter

> > feed with sulpha drugs to keep nasty infections at bay.

> I won't argue with you there. They claim organic but you are
>
> correct...no one knows where those bees fly to. These are from hives
>
> kept near orange orchards but they don't really know if that's where
>
> the bees go. Regardless...I like the taste and I really don't care
>
> about organic anyway. Just give me some honey, dammit.
>

> One could actually zest a bit of orange peel into any kind of honey
>
> for that taste.

No, you can't flavor clover honey with orange zest and make it resemble orange blossom honey anymore than you can turn a Patio burrito into decent food by adding crappy salsa and sour cream.

I guess living in a house with ferrets is like smoking cigarettes, in that one's olfactory system gets so screwed up that one can't discriminate between different flavors.

> G.

-- Bryan O|O
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 25, 2013 11:10:39 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>

> > From the Smithsonian:

> > http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/scie...0825-Weekender

> > or

> > http://tinyurl.com/k2smhpm

> > Now I know I don't have to worry about the jar of honey I have which is

> > labelled 2005. The jar has never been opened. It's clover honey. It

> > looks good, should taste good. Maybe drizzled on some biscuits with

> > butter...

> I need to buy some honey myself. I'm planning a trip soon to my local
>
> healthfood store. They sell several kinds of organic honey. My
>
> favorite is "Orange Blossom Honey" from bee hives in orange country
>
> in Florida.

There were orange groves near Lutz, FL, right along US-41, and I used to stop my car on the shoulder and roll down the windows. The smell was wonderful.

> G.

--Bryan O|O

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/26/2013 2:28 PM, wrote:
> On Sunday, August 25, 2013 11:04:07 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
>> From the Smithsonian:

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/scie...0825-Weekender

>> or
>>

>> http://tinyurl.com/k2smhpm
>>

>> Now I know I don't have to worry about the jar of honey I have which is
>>
>> labelled 2005. The jar has never been opened. It's clover honey. It
>>
>> looks good, should taste good. Maybe drizzled on some biscuits with
>>
>> butter...
>>

>> Jill

> I thought everyone knew honey never goes 'bad.'
> If it becomes crystalline just set it in a pan of very warm water to soften. Good as new.

Oh, I knew it. But I do find it fascinating they can find honey a
thousand years old in tombs and such and it's still edible.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Oh, I knew it. But I do find it fascinating they can find honey a
> thousand years old in tombs and such and it's still edible.

Perhaps we humans should learn from honey bees. Rather than all the
chemical preservatives in our food these days.....just add some bee
spit and be done with it.

G.