Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

Default The Best Chicken Salad Sandwich

I intend to begin this campaign over the next few weeks.

Of course everybody has their own view of "best" as well as "salad",
and in rfc the word "chicken" has likely the spark for myriad niggling
debate.

If one googles the phrase there are bejillions of chicken salads
ranging from chicken-in-blender placed on bread, to dollop of mayo atop
chicken breast placed on bread.

But surely there's a few here who have worked out their own concept of
a chicken salad that has them salivating when discussing it.

Any input appreciated.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 16, 9:37*am, gtr > wrote:
> I intend to begin this campaign over the next few weeks.

My favorite method of chicken salad comes from many years ago. We
used to take a whole cooked chicken, boned and run it through the
grinder along with a couple of ribs of chopped celery. Then season
it and add just enough mayo to moisten. Using the grinder infused
the chicken with the celery and it's juices and makes a great flavor.

Today I like to take the cooked chicken, dark and white, and cube it
and put it in the food processor with chopped celery and pulse till
very small dice. Then add a dollop of mayo and a good portion of
Nature's Seasons and pulse a couple more times.

Some chicken salad makers use fruit, etc. I just prefer the chicken
and celery route.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:

>But surely there's a few here who have
> worked out their own concept of a
> chicken salad that has them salivating
> when discussing it.

>Any input appreciated.

The one I always make for receptions, showers, family gathering, etc. is
this mixtu
2 cups chopped up cooked chicken
1 stalk celery, minced
1/4 cup pickle relish, drained on paper towel
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp. chopped pimiento
Salt & pepper, to taste
(I also usually had a little minced onion)

Grind chicken coarsely in food processor and add remaining ingredients.
Makes 2-1/2 cups sandwich spread.

I mix it all together in the food processor, so it's fine and easy for
spreading, but a person can do it by hand, if so desired.

Everyone seems to really like this.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 09:37:02 -0700, gtr > wrote:

>But surely there's a few here who have worked out their own concept of
>a chicken salad that has them salivating when discussing it.
>
>Any input appreciated.

Simple is good. Mayo, salt, pepper mixed into chopped up chicken.
Sometimes I get daring and use a little garlic powder and rosemary.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 6/16/2013 11:37 AM, gtr wrote:
> I intend to begin this campaign over the next few weeks.
>
> Of course everybody has their own view of "best" as well as "salad", and
> in rfc the word "chicken" has likely the spark for myriad niggling debate.
>
> If one googles the phrase there are bejillions of chicken salads ranging
> from chicken-in-blender placed on bread, to dollop of mayo atop chicken
> breast placed on bread.
>
> But surely there's a few here who have worked out their own concept of a
> chicken salad that has them salivating when discussing it.
>
> Any input appreciated.

chopped/shredded cooked chicken (or shrimp, potato, or whatever)
chopped celery
chopped hard boiled eggs
chopped scallions/green onions/shallots (whatever)
leftover wild rice (cooked with chicken broth)
poppy seeds

Mix the 'dry' ingredients listed above in a large bowl. In a separate
smaller bowl, mix the following "sauce" ingredients until smooth:

Mayo
Durkees Special Sauce
yellow mustard (not much)
Worcestershire Sauce
Tobasco
cider vinegar (a wee touch)
lemon juice (a wee touch)
S&P to taste

Fold and combine the "sauce" into the large bowl of 'dry' ingredients.
Serve with roasted almond slivers sprinkled on top.

Sky

P.S. It's best to add the roasted almond slivers at the last moment
when the 'salad' is served, otherwise the almonds won't stay crunchy.

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:

> I intend to begin this campaign over the next few weeks.
>
> Of course everybody has their own view of "best" as well as "salad",
> and in rfc the word "chicken" has likely the spark for myriad niggling
> debate.
>
> If one googles the phrase there are bejillions of chicken salads
> ranging from chicken-in-blender placed on bread, to dollop of mayo atop
> chicken breast placed on bread.
>
> But surely there's a few here who have worked out their own concept of
> a chicken salad that has them salivating when discussing it.
>
> Any input appreciated.

No matter how you prepare it, starting with chicken that is not
"enhanced" with 10%, 15%, 17%, 21% etc. of "solution" is the key.
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I intend to begin this campaign over the next few weeks.

Of course everybody has their own view of "best" as well as "salad",
and in rfc the word "chicken" has likely the spark for myriad niggling
debate.

If one googles the phrase there are bejillions of chicken salads
ranging from chicken-in-blender placed on bread, to dollop of mayo atop
chicken breast placed on bread.

But surely there's a few here who have worked out their own concept of
a chicken salad that has them salivating when discussing it.

Any input appreciated.
I would vote to keep it highly simple and use top shelf ingredients..which if I was doing the eating would include diced up chicken..Kraft mayo..light dusting o chopped celery..dill pickles and green onions..s and p. The worst I have ever ate tended to have the longest ingredient list. Dont fall for water chestnuts. Would serve it on griiddle toasted whole bread fried up in buter..with another daub o mayo and a big slice of vine ripe home growed tomater..yum yum. Maybe a leaf of lettuce for the raw vegan types. Served cut in two corner to corner..with tater chips on the side. You could open an old timey drugstore if you do it right..lol.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2013061609370263417-xxx@yyyzzz...
>I intend to begin this campaign over the next few weeks.
>
> Of course everybody has their own view of "best" as well as "salad", and
> in rfc the word "chicken" has likely the spark for myriad niggling debate.
>
> If one googles the phrase there are bejillions of chicken salads ranging
> from chicken-in-blender placed on bread, to dollop of mayo atop chicken
> breast placed on bread.
>
> But surely there's a few here who have worked out their own concept of a
> chicken salad that has them salivating when discussing it.
>
> Any input appreciated.

The best that I ever got was at the restaurant at the Bon Marche in
downtown Seattle. It was pretty simple. Just chicken, celery, onion,
walnuts and mayo. Probably salt and pepper too.

When we moved to NY, I ordered chicken salad from a delivery chicken place.
What did I get? A large container of chopped chicken breast. Nothing else
in it! Luckily I had all of the other ingredients at home and added them to
taste. End result was pretty much the same as what I got at the Bon. The
difference there was that they put theirs on a croissant. At home I just
ate it with a fork, perhaps stuffed into a tomato.

I don't personally like fruit in a chicken salad but a lot of people do. My
parents used to make it or turkey salad by adding grape halves. They never
put onion it it but possibly celery. I don't remember because I didn't care
for it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mine is simple -- chicken, mayonnaise (Duke's preferred), celery, onion,
salt, pepper, sometimes a dash of seasoning like lemon pepper or Cajun
spice. For tea sandwiches, trim the crust and don't add any other
toppings. For a heartier sandwich, toast the bread and add lettuce,
tomato, onion, and pickles to taste. I don't add fruit or nuts myself,
but I enjoy that variation when someone else makes it. Someone at school
makes the most delicious chicken salad with pecans and grapes. Bruno's
Market in Birmingham made a tasty curried chicken salad with almonds and
currants.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-06-16 20:56:16 +0000, Pete C. said:

> gtr wrote:
>>
>> I intend to begin this campaign over the next few weeks.
>>
>> Of course everybody has their own view of "best" as well as "salad",
>> and in rfc the word "chicken" has likely the spark for myriad niggling
>> debate.
>>
>> If one googles the phrase there are bejillions of chicken salads
>> ranging from chicken-in-blender placed on bread, to dollop of mayo atop
>> chicken breast placed on bread.
>>
>> But surely there's a few here who have worked out their own concept of
>> a chicken salad that has them salivating when discussing it.
>>
>> Any input appreciated.

> No matter how you prepare it, starting with chicken that is not
> "enhanced" with 10%, 15%, 17%, 21% etc. of "solution" is the key.

First, many thanks to all for putting in their two bits: All duly
considered. I had been thinking that food-processed chicken would be
unnecessary, but clearly many have a good rationale for doing just this.

I'm unsure what you mean but "enhanced", and the percentages. I thought
you might mean marinated before cooking.

Actually no one has talked about cooking the chicken: Is this what
you're referring to?

I prefer dark meat so I have a couple of pounds of thigh-meat, with
some kind of soy-marinade that I got from the local H Mart (Korean
supermarket chain). I intend to broil it and then whittle it up the
following day.

*---===---

I intended to add celery, maybe some chopped nuts (walnuts/almonds). I
was picking up a jar of Patak's Garlic "relish" today and considered a
tablespoon or so in the mix. That may produce some unexpected results.

....or...

Long ago I was crazy about adding small amount of sesame oil to tuna
and/or chicken salad. Due to my recent enthusiasm for making middle
eastern meals once a week I have a jar of tahini. I thought I might
dilute it (water, lemon) and add it. My mind strolled and I thought
about putting some chopped pepitas in it.

I know this is all sacreligious, but I'm falling my whims these days.
Inconeivably, the more I do, the more compliments I get from my wife.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-06-16 19:39:59 +0000, Sky said:

> On 6/16/2013 11:37 AM, gtr wrote:
>> I intend to begin this campaign over the next few weeks.
>>
>> Of course everybody has their own view of "best" as well as "salad", and
>> in rfc the word "chicken" has likely the spark for myriad niggling debate.
>>
>> If one googles the phrase there are bejillions of chicken salads ranging
>> from chicken-in-blender placed on bread, to dollop of mayo atop chicken
>> breast placed on bread.
>>
>> But surely there's a few here who have worked out their own concept of a
>> chicken salad that has them salivating when discussing it.
>>
>> Any input appreciated.

> chopped/shredded cooked chicken (or shrimp, potato, or whatever)
> chopped celery
> chopped hard boiled eggs
> chopped scallions/green onions/shallots (whatever)
> leftover wild rice (cooked with chicken broth)
> poppy seeds
>
> Mix the 'dry' ingredients listed above in a large bowl. In a separate
> smaller bowl, mix the following "sauce" ingredients until smooth:
>
> Mayo
> Durkees Special Sauce
> yellow mustard (not much)
> Worcestershire Sauce
> Tobasco
> cider vinegar (a wee touch)
> lemon juice (a wee touch)
> S&P to taste
>
> Fold and combine the "sauce" into the large bowl of 'dry' ingredients.
> Serve with roasted almond slivers sprinkled on top.
>
> Sky
>
> P.S. It's best to add the roasted almond slivers at the last moment
> when the 'salad' is served, otherwise the almonds won't stay crunchy.

Very interesting thoughs above. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 09:37:02 -0700, gtr > wrote:
>But surely there's a few here who have worked out their own concept of
>a chicken salad that has them salivating when discussing it.
>
>Any input appreciated.

Not gonna help you much, but Straub's chicken salad is YUM!!

http://straubs.com/departments/deli/

I worked in their deli for a short time and we werre encuoraged to
give out samples, and I think just abolut everyone who tried Straub's
chicken salkad boufghtv at least a half pound! YUM!!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" > wrote in message
> Mine is simple -- chicken, mayonnaise (Duke's preferred), celery, onion,
> salt, pepper, sometimes a dash of seasoning like lemon pepper or Cajun
> spice. For tea sandwiches, trim the crust and don't add any other
> toppings. For a heartier sandwich, toast the bread and add lettuce,
> tomato, onion, and pickles to taste. I don't add fruit or nuts myself,
> but I enjoy that variation when someone else makes it. Someone at school
> makes the most delicious chicken salad with pecans and grapes. Bruno's
> Market in Birmingham made a tasty curried chicken salad with almonds and
> currants.
>
> Tara

I like Paula Deens

1 celery rib, cut up
4 cups cooked diced chicken
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup slivered toasted almonds or chopped pecans
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
Salt and Pepper to taste
lettuce leaf

Directions:

1 Mix all of the ingredients together lightly.

2 Chill until ready for service.

3 Place lettuce leaves on chilled salad plates and top with chicken salad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Coarsely chopped white meat chicken, mayo, small squirt of mustard, red onion, half red grapes or dried cranberries and cashews on marbled rye bread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <2013061609370263417-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr > wrote:

> I intend to begin this campaign over the next few weeks.
>
> Of course everybody has their own view of "best" as well as "salad",
> and in rfc the word "chicken" has likely the spark for myriad niggling
> debate.
>
> If one googles the phrase there are bejillions of chicken salads
> ranging from chicken-in-blender placed on bread, to dollop of mayo atop
> chicken breast placed on bread.
>
> But surely there's a few here who have worked out their own concept of
> a chicken salad that has them salivating when discussing it.
>
> Any input appreciated.

pulled then chopped chicken thigh
finely chopped onion, celery, parsley
sprinkle of capers
mayonnaise- just enough to amalgamate
splash of wine vinegar
stir all together
bread of choice- lettuce leaf optional

D.M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2013061609370263417-xxx@yyyzzz...
>I intend to begin this campaign over the next few weeks.
>
> Of course everybody has their own view of "best" as well as "salad", and
> in rfc the word "chicken" has likely the spark for myriad niggling debate.
>
> If one googles the phrase there are bejillions of chicken salads ranging
> from chicken-in-blender placed on bread, to dollop of mayo atop chicken
> breast placed on bread.
>
> But surely there's a few here who have worked out their own concept of a
> chicken salad that has them salivating when discussing it.
>
> Any input appreciated.

I get a couple of roast chickens at the market or spatchcock and cook them
myself. I season with a lot of seasoned salt. Then I pull it apart and mix
with finely diced celery and sweet onion. A little relish too and then mayo
to make a stiff mixture. Sometimes apples and walnuts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:

> I'm unsure what you mean but "enhanced", and the percentages. I thought
> you might mean marinated before cooking.

"Enhanced" is the process that far too many producers are using of
making the chicken absorb an increasingly high percentage (originally
it was 2-3%, then 7% than 10%, now commonly 13% or more) of "solution"
which is basically salt water to "enhance" their bottom line by
increasing the weight of the chicken. Basically you get to pay $1.99/lb
for 20% salt water instead of chicken and to make matters worse that
waterlogged chicken is impossible to brown and won't even bake or broil
properly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-06-17 03:06:28 +0000, Pete C. said:

> gtr wrote:
>>
>> I'm unsure what you mean but "enhanced", and the percentages. I thought
>> you might mean marinated before cooking.

> "Enhanced" is the process that far too many producers are using of
> making the chicken absorb an increasingly high percentage (originally
> it was 2-3%, then 7% than 10%, now commonly 13% or more) of "solution"
> which is basically salt water to "enhance" their bottom line by
> increasing the weight of the chicken. Basically you get to pay $1.99/lb
> for 20% salt water instead of chicken and to make matters worse that
> waterlogged chicken is impossible to brown and won't even bake or broil
> properly.

Curious. And they don't state the weight of their thumb-on-the-scale
percentage on the packaging, I would assume.

Open the door, find a shoe lodged in it...

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-06-16 23:27:16 +0000, Cheri said:

> I like Paula Deens
>
> 1 celery rib, cut up
> 4 cups cooked diced chicken
> 1/2 cup mayonnaise
> 1/2 cup sour cream
> juice of 1/2 lemon
> 1/4 cup slivered toasted almonds or chopped pecans
> 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
> Salt and Pepper to taste
> lettuce leaf
>

> Directions:
>
> 1 Mix all of the ingredients together lightly.
>

> 2 Chill until ready for service.
>

> 3 Place lettuce leaves on chilled salad plates and top with chicken salad.

Snatched. Logged. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-06-16 21:48:53 +0000, bigwheel said:

> gtr;1840798 Wrote:
>> I intend to begin this campaign over the next few weeks.
>>
>> Of course everybody has their own view of "best" as well as "salad",
>> and in rfc the word "chicken" has likely the spark for myriad niggling
>> debate.
>>
>> If one googles the phrase there are bejillions of chicken salads
>> ranging from chicken-in-blender placed on bread, to dollop of mayo atop
>>
>> chicken breast placed on bread.
>>
>> But surely there's a few here who have worked out their own concept of
>> a chicken salad that has them salivating when discussing it.
>>
>> Any input appreciated.

> I would vote to keep it highly simple and use top shelf
> ingredients..which if I was doing the eating would include diced up
> chicken..Kraft mayo..light dusting o chopped celery..dill pickles and
> green onions..s and p. The worst I have ever ate tended to have the
> longest ingredient list. Dont fall for water chestnuts.

I mentioned daikon to the wife who pointed out that some vegetables
have a flavor that migrates. Chestnuts also tend to be a verb rather
than a noun.

> Would serve it on griiddle toasted whole bread fried up in buter..with
> another daub o mayo and a big slice of vine ripe home growed
> tomater..yum yum. Maybe a leaf of lettuce for the raw vegan types.
> Served cut in two corner to corner...

Well of course--a sandwich that isn't cut on the bias "leaks" flavor.

> with tater chips on the side. You could open an old timey drugstore if
> you do it right..lol.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-06-17 02:33:02 +0000, Don Martinich said:

> In article <2013061609370263417-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr > wrote:
>
>> I intend to begin this campaign over the next few weeks.
>>
>> Of course everybody has their own view of "best" as well as "salad",
>> and in rfc the word "chicken" has likely the spark for myriad niggling
>> debate.
>>
>> If one googles the phrase there are bejillions of chicken salads
>> ranging from chicken-in-blender placed on bread, to dollop of mayo atop
>> chicken breast placed on bread.
>>
>> But surely there's a few here who have worked out their own concept of
>> a chicken salad that has them salivating when discussing it.
>>
>> Any input appreciated.

> pulled then chopped chicken thigh
> finely chopped onion, celery, parsley
> sprinkle of capers

Capers... good one.

> mayonnaise- just enough to amalgamate
> splash of wine vinegar
> stir all together
> bread of choice- lettuce leaf optional
>
> D.M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-06-17 03:02:06 +0000, Sqwertz said:

> On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 09:37:02 -0700, gtr wrote:
>
>> But surely there's a few here who have worked out their own concept of
>> a chicken salad that has them salivating when discussing it.

> No matter what recipe you end up with, always top your chicken salad
> sandwich with some thick cut/kettle style potato chips.

That's an interesting feature. I've never done it, but has a certain
inevitable reason to it. It reminds me of how some people--a regional
thing I think--don't think a hot dog is worth eating without cole slaw
on it. This also makes a certain sense, despite the fact I've never
tried it, but only with a certain finely-shaved kind of slaw.

> And I always insist on more on the bread closet to the potato chips (optionally
> separated by lettuce and/or tomato).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 20:20:57 -0700, gtr wrote:

>>> No matter what recipe you end up with, always top your chicken salad
>>> sandwich with some thick cut/kettle style potato chips.

>> That's an interesting feature. I've never done it, but has a certain
>> inevitable reason to it. It reminds me of how some people--a regional
>> thing I think--don't think a hot dog is worth eating without cole slaw
>> on it. This also makes a certain sense, despite the fact I've never
>> tried it, but only with a certain finely-shaved kind of slaw.

> Just for the record, I meant to put the potato chips on top of the
> chicken salad, but under the bread. Now that I reread my post it
> wasn't clear.
>
> The idea here is that chicken salad is often too squishy (hi
> Norsting!) And it needs that extra crunch that simply toasting the
> bread can't provide.
>
> -sw

I used to love to do that with potato chips and tuna too.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr > wrote:
> I intend to begin this campaign over the next few weeks.
>
> Of course everybody has their own view of "best" as well as "salad", and
> in rfc the word "chicken" has likely the spark for myriad niggling debate.
>
> If one googles the phrase there are bejillions of chicken salads ranging
> from chicken-in-blender placed on bread, to dollop of mayo atop chicken
> breast placed on bread.
>
> But surely there's a few here who have worked out their own concept of a
> chicken salad that has them salivating when discussing it.
>
> Any input appreciated.

I'd Rather have a tuna salad sandwich. As far as chicken, the best for me
is boiled soup chicken with miracle whip on white bread. Not even lettuce.
I could eat plain chicken salad, but not with bread.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/16/2013 12:37 PM, gtr wrote:

> I intend to begin this campaign over the next few weeks.
>
> Of course everybody has their own view of "best" as well as "salad", and
> in rfc the word "chicken" has likely the spark for myriad niggling debate.
>
> If one googles the phrase there are bejillions of chicken salads ranging
> from chicken-in-blender placed on bread, to dollop of mayo atop chicken
> breast placed on bread.
>
> But surely there's a few here who have worked out their own concept of a
> chicken salad that has them salivating when discussing it.
>
> Any input appreciated.

I made chicken salad last weekend to take to an outdoor play for us to
eat prior to the show. I got a rotisserie chicken which was already
seasoned, and just added mayo, celery and onion. I like to keep it
simple. We ate it on sub rolls and croissants.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 09:37:02 -0700, gtr > wrote:

> I intend to begin this campaign over the next few weeks.
>
> Of course everybody has their own view of "best" as well as "salad",
> and in rfc the word "chicken" has likely the spark for myriad niggling
> debate.
>
> If one googles the phrase there are bejillions of chicken salads
> ranging from chicken-in-blender placed on bread, to dollop of mayo atop
> chicken breast placed on bread.
>
> But surely there's a few here who have worked out their own concept of
> a chicken salad that has them salivating when discussing it.
>
> Any input appreciated.

Is this a chicken salad for sandwiches or to eat on a plate? I've
made one with grapes and celery that I thought I wanted to make again
but never did - because hubby didn't eat salads like that at the time
and I don't often have weather that makes me want to make a main dish
salad like that anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 16:01:35 -0700, gtr > wrote:

> I know this is all sacreligious, but I'm falling my whims these days.
> Inconeivably, the more I do, the more compliments I get from my wife.

Sounds like you're in a win-win situation. You're satisfying your
whims and making your wife happy too. Keep it up, buddy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 20:13:13 -0700, gtr > wrote:

>> "Enhanced" is the process that far too many producers are using of
>> making the chicken absorb an increasingly high percentage (originally
>> it was 2-3%, then 7% than 10%, now commonly 13% or more) of "solution"
>> which is basically salt water to "enhance" their bottom line by
>> increasing the weight of the chicken.

>Curious. And they don't state the weight of their thumb-on-the-scale
>percentage on the packaging, I would assume.

It is on the package. Some pork is enhanced too. Better stores only
carry the real stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 16, 2013 4:48:53 PM UTC-5, bigwheel wrote:

> I would vote to keep it highly simple and use top shelf
>
> ingredients..which if I was doing the eating would include diced up
>
> chicken..Kraft mayo..

"Kraft mayo" is NOT a "top shelf" product. No shelf-stable, jism in a jar is anything but bottom shelf. No one but a pig would put soybean oil and egg whites in mayonnaise, but that's the kind of wino beatoff you get with Kraft.

> bigwheel

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr > wrote:

-snip-
> Chestnuts also tend to be a verb rather
>than a noun.

???? Could you diagram a sentence with chestnuts as a verb. [or at
least give me an example?]

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Vegan Earthworm Holocaust wrote:

> On Sunday, June 16, 2013 4:48:53 PM UTC-5, bigwheel wrote:
> >

> > I would vote to keep it highly simple and use top shelf
> >
> > ingredients..which if I was doing the eating would include diced up
> >
> > chicken..Kraft mayo..
> >

> "Kraft mayo" is NOT a "top shelf" product. No shelf-stable, jism in a jar
> is anything but bottom shelf. No one but a pig would put soybean oil and
> egg whites in mayonnaise, but that's the kind of wino beatoff you get
> with Kraft.
> >
> > bigwheel

> --Bryan

LOL! You go, Brian!

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-06-17 11:10:01 +0000, Jim Elbrecht said:

> gtr > wrote:
>
> -snip-
>> Chestnuts also tend to be a verb rather
>> than a noun.

> ???? Could you diagram a sentence with chestnuts as a verb. [or at
> least give me an example?]

I meant that metaphorically not literally. They aren't static (noun)
but active (verb). As an ingredient they slowly become mushy or bitter
or something. In the case of daikon radish they turn sulphuric.

As objects, they'll always be nouns.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-06-17 03:29:54 +0000, Sqwertz said:

> On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 20:20:57 -0700, gtr wrote:

>>> No matter what recipe you end up with, always top your chicken salad
>>> sandwich with some thick cut/kettle style potato chips.

>> That's an interesting feature. I've never done it, but has a certain
>> inevitable reason to it. It reminds me of how some people--a regional
>> thing I think--don't think a hot dog is worth eating without cole slaw
>> on it. This also makes a certain sense, despite the fact I've never
>> tried it, but only with a certain finely-shaved kind of slaw.

> Just for the record, I meant to put the potato chips on top of the
> chicken salad, but under the bread. Now that I reread my post it
> wasn't clear.

It was clear to me.

> The idea here is that chicken salad is often too squishy (hi
> Norsting!) And it needs that extra crunch that simply toasting the
> bread can't provide.

Good point. Also one of the likely reasons I balk at putting the bird
in the food-processor and think (at least in the abstract I'd rather
dice it or shredding it instead: Texture/mouth feel.

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Awww heck I was just in the process of trying to use it as a verb..lol. Not sure about the daikons. Might want to let folks add that for themelves. I would prob love it but not sure the wimmen and chillins would take to it. Think I bought one or two to go in kim chee one time. It was good. Guess the fermentation stops the sulphur production.

Aunt Bea accidentally chestnutted Opey during a a spirited game of drop the hanky. There ya go.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/16/2013 11:29 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 20:20:57 -0700, gtr wrote:

>>> No matter what recipe you end up with, always top your chicken salad
>>> sandwich with some thick cut/kettle style potato chips.

>> That's an interesting feature. I've never done it, but has a certain
>> inevitable reason to it. It reminds me of how some people--a regional
>> thing I think--don't think a hot dog is worth eating without cole slaw
>> on it. This also makes a certain sense, despite the fact I've never
>> tried it, but only with a certain finely-shaved kind of slaw.

> Just for the record, I meant to put the potato chips on top of the
> chicken salad, but under the bread. Now that I reread my post it
> wasn't clear.
>
> The idea here is that chicken salad is often too squishy (hi
> Norsting!) And it needs that extra crunch that simply toasting the
> bread can't provide.
>
> -sw

I agree with potato chips on top, too.

--