Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Woo Hoo! Shrimp Season!

Got an email on the antiquated listserv residents use to
mass-communicate with other Dataw residents. Dobson Seafood is now open
daily and has fresh shrimp. Yay!

"Shrimp season is officially under way. We have jumbo and large shrimp
now. Please tell everyone to let us know if you are from Dataw and
we値l give you a discount on the shrimp. Call ahead and we値l be glad
to have your order ready especially peeled and deveined. We値l also be
glad to freeze them for you."

*If* I can figure out where the heck this place is (the online map is
upside down and I don't feel like standing on my head) I may just buy a
couple of pounds of large shrimp. I'm not sure I'd need them to freeze
them unless they mean flash-freezing. I'll have to call and ask if
there is any benefit to them freezing it or me just putting it in my
freezer.

I'd probably have them peel and devein about 1/4 lb. of shrimp. For use
in something like chilled seafood cocktails. Or to mince and make Thai
dumplings. For a lot of dishes I prefer to cook shrimp in the shell.
If not, peeling and deveining them is not a problem. I've done it
plenty of times.

As for the shells, one of these days I might actually get the urge to
make shrimp stock.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2013 10:59 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> Got an email on the antiquated listserv residents use to
> mass-communicate with other Dataw residents. Dobson Seafood is now open
> daily and has fresh shrimp. Yay!
>
> "Shrimp season is officially under way. We have jumbo and large shrimp
> now. Please tell everyone to let us know if you are from Dataw and
> we値l give you a discount on the shrimp. Call ahead and we値l be glad
> to have your order ready especially peeled and deveined. We値l also be
> glad to freeze them for you."

That is great! One of the best parts of living near the Gulf Coast is
that shrimp are always available and usually pretty reasonable. Here is
one of the ways I like to cook them.

1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined... put in a bowl
Add 1 stick of melted butter
Add about 1/4 cup olive oil
Add as much minced garlic as you like (I like a lot!)
Mix all together and spread out on a baking sheet... squeeze a little
lemon juice over the top then sprinkle on a coating of Italian bread
crumbs and some grated Parmesan cheese.

Bake at 400 degrees until the shrimp start to turn color and then finish
off for a few minutes under the broiler.

Serve over rice or noodles. Thank me later.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reminds me of time a guy ran into a beauty parlor, announced he had Key West shrimp netted the night before, for 3 bucks a pound. Women were fighting and grabbing.

Had a wonderful baked shrimp dish that night - vive la difference between fresh caught and old frozen. Tender and plump-o.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

> Reminds me of time a guy ran into a beauty parlor,
> announced he had Key West shrimp netted the night before,
> for 3 bucks a pound. Women were fighting and grabbing.

Women were fighting and grabbing? Send pics.email me! ;-D

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/06/2013 12:47 PM, George Leppla wrote:

> That is great! One of the best parts of living near the Gulf Coast is
> that shrimp are always available and usually pretty reasonable. Here is
> one of the ways I like to cook them.

Sure. Rub it in. ;-(
I have to use frozen.

> 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined... put in a bowl
> Add 1 stick of melted butter
> Add about 1/4 cup olive oil
> Add as much minced garlic as you like (I like a lot!)
> Mix all together and spread out on a baking sheet... squeeze a little
> lemon juice over the top then sprinkle on a coating of Italian bread
> crumbs and some grated Parmesan cheese.
>
> Bake at 400 degrees until the shrimp start to turn color and then finish
> off for a few minutes under the broiler.

Sounds good. My wife does something like that, but with butter and
parsley, no bread crumbs.

We are having shrimp tonight. I will mix up some olive oil, lemon juice,
lots of garlic, some salt and pepper, good dash of Worcestershire sauce,
ketchup and parsley. Shell the shrimp and marinate them for an hour or
two, then slap them down on the grill. By the time you get them all laid
out on the grill it is time to start flipping them, and once they are
all flipped it is time to start taking them off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 03/06/2013 12:47 PM, George Leppla wrote:
>

> > That is great! One of the best parts of living near the Gulf Coast is
> > that shrimp are always available and usually pretty reasonable.

> Sure. Rub it in. ;-(
> I have to use frozen.

You're not missing out on anything. Frozen on the boat is just as good as
fresh. I can buy fresh here for about 3X the price but I buy the frozen.
They are just as tasty.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 2:08*pm, Gary > wrote:
> You're not missing out on anything. *Frozen on the boat is just as good as
> fresh. I can buy fresh here for about 3X the price but I buy the frozen.
> They are just as tasty.
>
> G.

Very true. However, it's very difficult to find good frozen shrimp.
It would be nice to get fresh shrimp in the gulf.

I would not expect fresh to be more expensive than good frozen. I pay
about $24 a pound for (I think) about 15 count.

Also, shrimp are available all year round. I really like the rock
shrimp from Maine, available from about February through March..

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 11:59:40 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> Got an email on the antiquated listserv residents use to
> mass-communicate with other Dataw residents. Dobson Seafood is now open
> daily and has fresh shrimp. Yay!
>
> "Shrimp season is officially under way. We have jumbo and large shrimp
> now. Please tell everyone to let us know if you are from Dataw and
> we値l give you a discount on the shrimp.

Wish I was closer because I would love some of that fresh shrimp.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/06/2013 5:57 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 11:59:40 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> Got an email on the antiquated listserv residents use to
>> mass-communicate with other Dataw residents. Dobson Seafood is now open
>> daily and has fresh shrimp. Yay!
>>
>> "Shrimp season is officially under way. We have jumbo and large shrimp
>> now. Please tell everyone to let us know if you are from Dataw and
>> we値l give you a discount on the shrimp.

> Wish I was closer because I would love some of that fresh shrimp.

I sometimes wonder ... if I could only have one type of fish/meat for
the rest of my life what would I choose. Shrimp. Hands down.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 11:59:40 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I'd probably have them peel and devein about 1/4 lb. of shrimp. For use
>> in something like chilled seafood cocktails. Or to mince and make Thai
>> dumplings. For a lot of dishes I prefer to cook shrimp in the shell.
>> If not, peeling and deveining them is not a problem. I've done it
>> plenty of times.

> If they don't have a "EZ Peel" machine which automatically take the
> vein out while leaving the shell mostly in tact - making them much
> easier to peel, then they need to get with the times. That's how 75%
> of the shrimp around here is sold. Only the head-on shrimp are not
> subjected to that treatment.

What does the machine do - cut the shell neck to tail but leave it on the
shrimp?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pico Rico wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 11:59:40 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
> >
> >> I'd probably have them peel and devein about 1/4 lb. of shrimp. For use
> >> in something like chilled seafood cocktails. Or to mince and make Thai
> >> dumplings. For a lot of dishes I prefer to cook shrimp in the shell.
> >> If not, peeling and deveining them is not a problem. I've done it
> >> plenty of times.

> > If they don't have a "EZ Peel" machine which automatically take the
> > vein out while leaving the shell mostly in tact - making them much
> > easier to peel, then they need to get with the times. That's how 75%
> > of the shrimp around here is sold. Only the head-on shrimp are not
> > subjected to that treatment.
> >

> What does the machine do - cut the shell neck to tail but leave it on the
> shrimp?

That and devein.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 11:47:58 -0500, George Leppla
> wrote:

>On 6/3/2013 10:59 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> Got an email on the antiquated listserv residents use to
>> mass-communicate with other Dataw residents. Dobson Seafood is now open
>> daily and has fresh shrimp. Yay!
>>
>> "Shrimp season is officially under way. We have jumbo and large shrimp
>> now. Please tell everyone to let us know if you are from Dataw and
>> we値l give you a discount on the shrimp. Call ahead and we値l be glad
>> to have your order ready especially peeled and deveined. We値l also be
>> glad to freeze them for you."

>That is great! One of the best parts of living near the Gulf Coast is
>that shrimp are always available and usually pretty reasonable. Here is
>one of the ways I like to cook them.
>
>1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined... put in a bowl
>Add 1 stick of melted butter
>Add about 1/4 cup olive oil
>Add as much minced garlic as you like (I like a lot!)
>Mix all together and spread out on a baking sheet... squeeze a little
>lemon juice over the top then sprinkle on a coating of Italian bread
>crumbs and some grated Parmesan cheese.

That's an awful lot of fat for a measly pound of shrimp. And I'm not
going to mention cheese.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Got an email on the antiquated listserv residents use to
>mass-communicate with other Dataw residents. Dobson Seafood is now open
>daily and has fresh shrimp. Yay!
>
>"Shrimp season is officially under way. We have jumbo and large shrimp
>now. Please tell everyone to let us know if you are from Dataw and
>we値l give you a discount on the shrimp. Call ahead and we値l be glad
>to have your order ready especially peeled and deveined. We値l also be
>glad to freeze them for you."

Who are they kidding... peeled and frozen they are not fresh shsrimp.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Got an email on the antiquated listserv residents use to
>mass-communicate with other Dataw residents. Dobson Seafood is now open
>daily and has fresh shrimp. Yay!
>
>"Shrimp season is officially under way. We have jumbo and large shrimp
>now. Please tell everyone to let us know if you are from Dataw and
>we値l give you a discount on the shrimp. Call ahead and we値l be glad
>to have your order ready especially peeled and deveined. We値l also be
>glad to freeze them for you."
>
>*If* I can figure out where the heck this place is (the online map is
>upside down and I don't feel like standing on my head) I may just buy a
>couple of pounds of large shrimp. I'm not sure I'd need them to freeze
>them unless they mean flash-freezing. I'll have to call and ask if
>there is any benefit to them freezing it or me just putting it in my
>freezer.
>
>I'd probably have them peel and devein about 1/4 lb. of shrimp. For use
>in something like chilled seafood cocktails. Or to mince and make Thai
>dumplings. For a lot of dishes I prefer to cook shrimp in the shell.
> If not, peeling and deveining them is not a problem. I've done it
>plenty of times.
>
>As for the shells, one of these days I might actually get the urge to
>make shrimp stock.
>
>Jill

You've hit upon my weakness -- I have absolutely no control when
cooked and peeled shrimp are in the fridge. I don't care if I planned
them for a meal (I can always make my husband something with ground
beef ) I'll sneak eat them until they are gone. I'm a bad person
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 3 Jun 2013 17:41:11 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> Yes. I can't find the video that I saw before, but this one pretty
>> much shows how it works. Just skip the last step that rips off the
>> ships.

> ... that rips off the shells. Damn predictive autocorrect.
>
> -sw

I was watching for that part, but didn't see any ships. I guess your ploy
to make me watch to the end worked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2013 9:05 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 11:59:40 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> Got an email on the antiquated listserv residents use to
>> mass-communicate with other Dataw residents. Dobson Seafood is now open
>> daily and has fresh shrimp. Yay!
>>
>> "Shrimp season is officially under way. We have jumbo and large shrimp
>> now. Please tell everyone to let us know if you are from Dataw and
>> we値l give you a discount on the shrimp. Call ahead and we値l be glad
>> to have your order ready especially peeled and deveined. We値l also be
>> glad to freeze them for you."

> Who are they kidding... peeled and frozen they are not fresh shsrimp.

Who are *you* kidding? Shrimping is a huge industry down here. These
people know what they're doing. The shrimping season is fairly short.
What's the point of letting the catch spoil when it can be frozen and
enjoyed later?

I'll be freezing most of what I buy. As for peeling and deveining, some
people don't know how. Or maybe they're squeamish. It doesn't bother
me to clean and peel shrimp.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 23:09:42 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> As for peeling and deveining, some
> people don't know how. Or maybe they're squeamish. It doesn't bother
> me to clean and peel shrimp.

Shell on cost significantly less than peeled shrimp cost too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 23:09:42 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> As for peeling and deveining, some
>> people don't know how. Or maybe they're squeamish. It doesn't bother
>> me to clean and peel shrimp.

> Shell on cost significantly less than peeled shrimp cost too.

even less if you figure the value of the shrimp stock you make.

Experienced Member

Location: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcquown[_2_] View Post
[...]

This is great. Can't wait.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/4/2013 12:27 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 23:09:42 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> As for peeling and deveining, some
>> people don't know how. Or maybe they're squeamish. It doesn't bother
>> me to clean and peel shrimp.

> Shell on cost significantly less than peeled shrimp cost too.

Absolutely. I might not bother having them peel even a portion of what
I buy. I can't figure out exactly where this place is...

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2013 7:54 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 11:47:58 -0500, George Leppla
> > wrote:
>
>> On 6/3/2013 10:59 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> Got an email on the antiquated listserv residents use to
>>> mass-communicate with other Dataw residents. Dobson Seafood is now open
>>> daily and has fresh shrimp. Yay!
>>>
>>> "Shrimp season is officially under way. We have jumbo and large shrimp
>>> now. Please tell everyone to let us know if you are from Dataw and
>>> we値l give you a discount on the shrimp. Call ahead and we値l be glad
>>> to have your order ready especially peeled and deveined. We値l also be
>>> glad to freeze them for you."

>> That is great! One of the best parts of living near the Gulf Coast is
>> that shrimp are always available and usually pretty reasonable. Here is
>> one of the ways I like to cook them.
>>
>> 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined... put in a bowl
>> Add 1 stick of melted butter
>> Add about 1/4 cup olive oil
>> Add as much minced garlic as you like (I like a lot!)
>> Mix all together and spread out on a baking sheet... squeeze a little
>> lemon juice over the top then sprinkle on a coating of Italian bread
>> crumbs and some grated Parmesan cheese.

> That's an awful lot of fat for a measly pound of shrimp. And I'm not
> going to mention cheese.

I agree. That is lots of fat but it tastes good on the noodles or rice.

(Note to self and Becca... don't invite Sheldon the next time we make
shrimp.)

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2013 12:47 PM, George Leppla wrote:
> On 6/3/2013 10:59 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> Got an email on the antiquated listserv residents use to
>> mass-communicate with other Dataw residents. Dobson Seafood is now open
>> daily and has fresh shrimp. Yay!
>>
>> "Shrimp season is officially under way. We have jumbo and large shrimp
>> now. Please tell everyone to let us know if you are from Dataw and
>> we値l give you a discount on the shrimp. Call ahead and we値l be glad
>> to have your order ready especially peeled and deveined. We値l also be
>> glad to freeze them for you."

> That is great! One of the best parts of living near the Gulf Coast is
> that shrimp are always available and usually pretty reasonable. Here is
> one of the ways I like to cook them.
>
> 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined... put in a bowl
> Add 1 stick of melted butter
> Add about 1/4 cup olive oil
> Add as much minced garlic as you like (I like a lot!)
> Mix all together and spread out on a baking sheet... squeeze a little
> lemon juice over the top then sprinkle on a coating of Italian bread
> crumbs and some grated Parmesan cheese.
>
> Bake at 400 degrees until the shrimp start to turn color and then finish
> off for a few minutes under the broiler.
>
> Serve over rice or noodles. Thank me later.
>
> George L

Sounds tasty to me. Thanks George!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 11:09*pm, jmcquown > wrote:

> I'll be freezing most of what I buy. *As for peeling and deveining, some
> people don't know how. *Or maybe they're squeamish. *It doesn't bother
> me to clean and peel shrimp.
>
> Jill

I never buy peeled shrimp. I use the shells in my fish stock, they
add an extra dimension. It's also easier to hide the shrimp quality/
freshness if they're peeled.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 08:22:11 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 6/4/2013 12:27 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 23:09:42 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> As for peeling and deveining, some
>>> people don't know how. Or maybe they're squeamish. It doesn't bother
>>> me to clean and peel shrimp.

>> Shell on cost significantly less than peeled shrimp cost too.
>>

>Absolutely. I might not bother having them peel even a portion of what
>I buy. I can't figure out exactly where this place is...
>
>Jill

Use Mapquest. It will take you door to door.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/4/2013 9:36 AM, Helpful person wrote:
> On Jun 3, 11:09 pm, jmcquown > wrote:
>>
>> I'll be freezing most of what I buy. As for peeling and deveining, some
>> people don't know how. Or maybe they're squeamish. It doesn't bother
>> me to clean and peel shrimp.
>>
>> Jill

> I never buy peeled shrimp. I use the shells in my fish stock, they
> add an extra dimension. It's also easier to hide the shrimp quality/
> freshness if they're peeled.

I did mention I might get the urge to make shrimp stock. Naturally
I'd save the shells (into the freezer they'll go). I love most fish and
seafood. I was known as the soup queen for a while. I eat soup year
round. Yet I've never made fish soup.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 08:08:40 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 08:22:11 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
> >On 6/4/2013 12:27 AM, sf wrote:

> >> Shell on cost significantly less than peeled shrimp cost too.
> >>

> >Absolutely. I might not bother having them peel even a portion of what
> >I buy. I can't figure out exactly where this place is...
> >
> >Jill

> Use Mapquest. It will take you door to door.

Google maps does that too, but I'm not sure if even my GPS would work
in the boonies. We had a couple of instances in the South when where
we wanted to go just wasn't mapped and it wasn't in a new part of town
either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 4, 10:27*am, jmcquown > wrote:
> > I never buy peeled shrimp. *I use the shells in my fish stock, they
> > add an extra dimension. *It's also easier to hide the shrimp quality/
> > freshness if they're peeled.

> I did mention I might get the urge to make shrimp stock. *Naturally
> I'd save the shells (into the freezer they'll go). *I love most fish and
> seafood. *I was known as the soup queen for a while. *I eat soup year
> round. *Yet I've never made fish soup.
>
> Jill

Fish/seafood based soup is wonderful. It's not difficult but
preparing the fish for the stock is messy and a real pain. But worth
it.

Personally I prefer a seafood soup with the stock made from a
combination of fish and shrimp shells. (I have used lobster shells
when I have them.)

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-06-04, jmcquown > wrote:

> I did mention I might get the urge to make shrimp stock. Naturally
> I'd save the shells (into the freezer they'll go). I love most fish and
> seafood. I was known as the soup queen for a while. I eat soup year
> round. Yet I've never made fish soup.

Knorr usta make shrimp bullion cubes. Don't know if they still do, as
their website says nothing about it, but still plenty around on the
web. Probably NOS. yuk. They were OK. Better than a
poke in the eye with a sharp stick. La Tienda makes some. May be
better. Never tried it. I made some shrimp stock from frozen shrimp
shells. The shell can be as rancid as the shrimp. meh....

For fish stock, I prefer Japanese dashi, even instant, over Knorr fish
bullion cubes. The Japanese use dashi for everything, so it's pretty
easy to find instant and it's of pretty good quality. I used it for
fish stock based dishes when I didn't have a buncha fish heads to
boil. Only prob with instant dashi is finding one that's MSG free.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 07:28:28 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 08:08:40 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 08:22:11 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>> >Absolutely. I might not bother having them peel even a portion of what
>> >I buy. I can't figure out exactly where this place is...
>> >
>> >Jill

>> Use Mapquest. It will take you door to door.

>Google maps does that too, but I'm not sure if even my GPS would work
>in the boonies. We had a couple of instances in the South when where
>we wanted to go just wasn't mapped and it wasn't in a new part of town
>either.

Then send those spying cars to the boonies, don't like them hitting my
street so often.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/4/2013 10:28 AM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 08:08:40 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
>
>>> Absolutely. I might not bother having them peel even a portion of what
>>> I buy. I can't figure out exactly where this place is...
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Use Mapquest. It will take you door to door.

> Google maps does that too, but I'm not sure if even my GPS would work
> in the boonies. We had a couple of instances in the South when where
> we wanted to go just wasn't mapped and it wasn't in a new part of town
> either.

Yes, lots of places aren't really on the map. I don't have GPS. This
place is on the map, but I've never gone that far down HWY 21 in that
direction. It looks to be located on side-road off a side-road. Near a
sal****er creek/inlet, which makes sense.

I've driven some of the other side roads off HWY 21 just out of
curiosity. I found the tomato fields. But often the roads emptied
out into a dirt road that led nowhere.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 6/3/2013 12:47 PM, George Leppla wrote:
> > On 6/3/2013 10:59 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> >> Got an email on the antiquated listserv residents use to
> >> mass-communicate with other Dataw residents. Dobson Seafood is now open
> >> daily and has fresh shrimp. Yay!
> >>
> >> "Shrimp season is officially under way. We have jumbo and large shrimp
> >> now. Please tell everyone to let us know if you are from Dataw and
> >> we値l give you a discount on the shrimp. Call ahead and we値l be glad
> >> to have your order ready especially peeled and deveined. We値l also be
> >> glad to freeze them for you."

> > That is great! One of the best parts of living near the Gulf Coast is
> > that shrimp are always available and usually pretty reasonable. Here is
> > one of the ways I like to cook them.
> >
> > 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined... put in a bowl
> > Add 1 stick of melted butter
> > Add about 1/4 cup olive oil
> > Add as much minced garlic as you like (I like a lot!)
> > Mix all together and spread out on a baking sheet... squeeze a little
> > lemon juice over the top then sprinkle on a coating of Italian bread
> > crumbs and some grated Parmesan cheese.
> >
> > Bake at 400 degrees until the shrimp start to turn color and then finish
> > off for a few minutes under the broiler.
> >
> > Serve over rice or noodles. Thank me later.
> >
> > George L

> Sounds tasty to me. Thanks George!
>
> Jill

I might try this too. Sounds good and I don't mind the cheese with seafood
thing.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/4/2013 12:19 PM, Gary wrote:

> I might try this too. Sounds good and I don't mind the cheese with seafood
> thing.

I'm not sure where the "no cheese on seafood" thing started but I don't
buy into it. There are a lot of Italian dishes with seafood in them
that can use a touch of Parmesan or Romano cheese. I have had stuffed
flounder where the stuffing had some cheese in it. Lobster mac and
cheese. A tuna melt sandwich. Tuna Casserole. Stuffed clams sometimes
call for grated cheese. Shrimp on a pizza can be pretty good. Crab and
cheese dip.

There is probably a zillion ways that people prepare seafood with
cheese... and I haven't run across any that i didn't like.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 10:43:03 AM UTC-7, George L wrote:
> On 6/4/2013 12:19 PM, Gary wrote:
> I might try this too. Sounds good and I don't mind the cheese with seafood
> thing.
>
> I'm not sure where the "no cheese on seafood" thing started but I don't
> buy into it.

I think the "rule" about not mixing cheese with seafood started with the Italians. It's really more a matter of taste than a rule. Fish and shellfish are considered to have a delicate taste that is easily overpowered by cheese. I agree with this and very rarely mix them. I will occasionally dust a dish with parmesan but that's as far as I'll go. All the other things you mention I leave out the cheese. In particular, I think whoever was first to add cheese to a tuna sandwich did the world a great disservice. -aem
\
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 10:43:03 AM UTC-7, George L wrote:
> On 6/4/2013 12:19 PM, Gary wrote:
> I might try this too. Sounds good and I don't mind the cheese with
> seafood
> thing.
>
> I'm not sure where the "no cheese on seafood" thing started but I don't
> buy into it.

I think the "rule" about not mixing cheese with seafood started with the
Italians. It's really more a matter of taste than a rule. Fish and
shellfish are considered to have a delicate taste that is easily overpowered
by cheese. I agree with this and very rarely mix them. I will occasionally
dust a dish with parmesan but that's as far as I'll go. All the other
things you mention I leave out the cheese. In particular, I think whoever
was first to add cheese to a tuna sandwich did the world a great
ervice. -aem
\

Why? Lots of people like cheese on tuna sandwiches.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 11:29:12 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 6/4/2013 10:28 AM, sf wrote:

>>> Use Mapquest. It will take you door to door.

>> Google maps does that too, but I'm not sure if even my GPS would work
>> in the boonies. We had a couple of instances in the South when where
>> we wanted to go just wasn't mapped and it wasn't in a new part of town
>> either.
>>

>Yes, lots of places aren't really on the map. I don't have GPS. This
>place is on the map, but I've never gone that far down HWY 21 in that
>direction. It looks to be located on side-road off a side-road. Near a
>sal****er creek/inlet, which makes sense.
>
>I've driven some of the other side roads off HWY 21 just out of
>curiosity. I found the tomato fields. But often the roads emptied
>out into a dirt road that led nowhere.
>
>Jill

If you input your home address in Map Quest on your home computer and
your destination address, it will give you directions including which
direction to turn when you leave your driveway.
Is it in St. Helena Island, SC? If so I can map my way from my home
out here in the west.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 4, 2:25*pm, "Cheri" > wrote:
> "aem" > wrote in message
>
> Tuesday, June 4, 2013 10:43:03 AM UTC-7, George L wrote:
> > On 6/4/2013 12:19 PM, Gary wrote:
> > *I might try this too. *Sounds good and I don't mind the cheese with
> > seafood
> > *thing.

> > I'm not sure where the "no cheese on seafood" thing started but I don't
> > buy into it.

> I think the "rule" about not mixing cheese with seafood started with the
> Italians. *It's really more a matter of taste than a rule. *Fish and
> shellfish are considered to have a delicate taste that is easily overpowered
> by cheese. *I agree with this and very rarely mix them. *I will occasionally
> dust a dish with parmesan but that's as far as I'll go. *All the other
> things you mention I leave out the cheese. In particular, I think whoever
> was first to add cheese to a tuna sandwich did the world a great
> ervice. * * -aem
> \
>
> Why? Lots of people like cheese on tuna sandwiches.
>
> Cheri

Lot's of people's favorite meal is McDonalds.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-06-04, Cheri > wrote:

> shellfish are considered to have a delicate taste that is easily overpowered
> by cheese.

Nonsense.

Italians have long mixed cheese with seafood. What do you think they
top linguini and clams with? Chopped gummy-bears? Howzabout
cioppino? They may have been Italian-Americans, but many were 1st gen
I-As and you bet yer loaf of SF sourdough there was some parmesan or
pecorino on it. I don't know if native Italians put the first
anchovie on a pizza, but I salute whoever it was.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 3, 2013 7:05:19 PM UTC-6, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 11:59:40 -0400, jmcquown >
>
> wrote:
>

> >Got an email on the antiquated listserv residents use to

> >mass-communicate with other Dataw residents. Dobson Seafood is now open

> >daily and has fresh shrimp. Yay!

> >"Shrimp season is officially under way. We have jumbo and large shrimp

> >now. Please tell everyone to let us know if you are from Dataw and

> >we値l give you a discount on the shrimp. Call ahead and we値l be glad

> >to have your order ready especially peeled and deveined. We値l also be

> >glad to freeze them for you."

> Who are they kidding... peeled and frozen they are not fresh shsrimp.

They are not promoting the frozen shrimp as fresh. They are willing to freeze your order for you in case you want to stock up. Maybe you need to learn to reread stuff before you spout off. Or were you too drunk to spell shrimp??

Dale P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 04/06/2013 1:43 PM, George Leppla wrote:
> On 6/4/2013 12:19 PM, Gary wrote:
>

>> I might try this too. Sounds good and I don't mind the cheese with
>> seafood
>> thing.

> I'm not sure where the "no cheese on seafood" thing started but I don't
> buy into it.

It's a Sheldon thing, and he herd it from a Chinese chef. Chinese don't
eat much cheese. Most of them are lactose intolerance. It is also
frowned upon in Italian cooing to put Parmesan on a cheese dish.
Europeans, OTOH, have a number of seafood dishes that include cheese.
The claim that you should never have cheese with seafood goes down the
tubes in light of classics like Coquilles St. Jacque. Greek shrimp
with tomato and feta.

There are a lot of Italian dishes with seafood in them
> that can use a touch of Parmesan or Romano cheese. I have had stuffed
> flounder where the stuffing had some cheese in it. Lobster mac and
> cheese. A tuna melt sandwich. Tuna Casserole. Stuffed clams sometimes
> call for grated cheese. Shrimp on a pizza can be pretty good. Crab and
> cheese dip.

Cod au gratin.

> There is probably a zillion ways that people prepare seafood with
> cheese... and I haven't run across any that i didn't like.

I break the Italian rule about Parmesan on seafood. I frequently do stir
fried shrimp with pasta and grated parmesan on top. I also occasionally
do an al fredo type sauce with shrimp, a reconstruction of one of the
better dishes from Italian joint in town.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/4/2013 2:42 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> If you input your home address in Map Quest on your home computer and
> your destination address, it will give you directions including which
> direction to turn when you leave your driveway.
> Is it in St. Helena Island, SC? If so I can map my way from my home
> out here in the west.
> Janet US

Of course you can. Until you get down here and find while these side
roads have names many of them don't have street signs.

Jill