Nancree

Default SHRIMP SCAMPI---- means "shrimp shrimp"

The term "Shrimp Scampi" actually means "shrimp shrimp".(or "shrimp lobster").
But it has become a custom in this country. It must sound odd to Italians.

Here's a definition from Guru. You can find a similar definition in Merriam
Webster.

scam·pi (skam'pe, skäm'-)
n., pl. scampi.
Large shrimp broiled or sautéed and served in a garlic and butter sauce.

[Italian, pl. of scampo, a kind of lobster, from Greek kampe, bending (from its
shape), perhaps from Greek kamptein, to bend.]

Nancree

------

Nancy Young

Nancree wrote:

> The term "Shrimp Scampi" actually means "shrimp shrimp".

Have you heard? The Beatles broke up!

nancy
Nancree

Nancy Young wrote:
>Have you heard? The Beatles broke up!
>
>nancy

-------------------------------------
What are you referring to?
Nancree
------------------------
>Subject: SHRIMP SCAMPI---- means "shrimp shrimp"
>From: Nancy Young
>Date: 4/26/2004 1:57 PM Pacific Standard Time
>
>Nancree wrote:
>>
>> The term "Shrimp Scampi" actually means "shrimp shrimp".

>Have you heard? The Beatles broke up!
>
>nancy

Nancy Young

Nancree wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
> >Have you heard? The Beatles broke up!
> >
> >nancy

> -------------------------------------
> What are you referring to?

Sorry, but that's the oldest news on the planet, yes, we know, scampi
means some kind of shrimp or lobster. This discussion has been held
here many, many times.

nancy
jmcquown

Nancy Young wrote:
> Nancree wrote:
>>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>> Have you heard? The Beatles broke up!
>>>
>>> nancy

Damn, the Doobie Brothers broke up, too! BTW, Elvis died in 1977 - I did
not make that up ;-)

Jill

>> -------------------------------------
>> What are you referring to?

> Sorry, but that's the oldest news on the planet, yes, we know, scampi
> means some kind of shrimp or lobster. This discussion has been held
> here many, many times.
>
> nancy

Nancy Young

jmcquown wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:

> Damn, the Doobie Brothers broke up, too!

I even heard they weren't even brothers. What liars.

> BTW, Elvis died in 1977 - I did not make that up ;-)

Well, I saw him in Acme last week in the peanut butter aisle.

nancy
Peter Aitken

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Nancree wrote:
> >
> > Nancy Young wrote:
> > >Have you heard? The Beatles broke up!
> > >
> > >nancy

> > -------------------------------------
> > What are you referring to?

> Sorry, but that's the oldest news on the planet, yes, we know, scampi
> means some kind of shrimp or lobster. This discussion has been held
> here many, many times.
>
> nancy

Yet many people here still refer to "shrimp scampi." It's on the same level
as "pizza pie" or "tuna fish." Or, to cite a recent example, "fokacha
bread!"

--
Peter Aitken

Nancy Young

Peter Aitken wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> > Sorry, but that's the oldest news on the planet, yes, we know, scampi
> > means some kind of shrimp or lobster. This discussion has been held
> > here many, many times.

> Yet many people here still refer to "shrimp scampi."

It's my strongest argument that shrimp scampi has come to mean a
style of preparation. Shrimp Scampi, Chicken Scampi, yeah, we
get what it means. Scampi can mean all it wants to in Italian,
it means something else here. That's all I was saying.

> It's on the same level
> as "pizza pie" or "tuna fish." Or, to cite a recent example, "fokacha
> bread!"

Well, we say white bread, italian bread, french bread, why not
foccachia (sp) bread. It describes what kind of bread. I've never
seen foccachia that looked like any of the above.

nancy
axlq in California

In article >,
Nancree > wrote:
>The term "Shrimp Scampi" actually means "shrimp shrimp".(or "shrimp lobster").
>But it has become a custom in this country. It must sound odd to Italians.

Er... this reminds me of an old posting I made in which I stupidly
said I can't tell a Chardonnay from a Chablis, and received some
well-deserved snickers from the audience. You'll get the same
treatment.

-A
Nancree

Nancy Young wrote:

>Sorry, but that's the oldest news on the planet, yes, we know, scampi
>means some kind of shrimp or lobster. This discussion has been held
>here many, many times

Nancy Young
------------------------------
Boy, Nancy, are you ever crabby ! The last time Shrimp Scampi was posted was
last August. You think there are no new newbies on RFC? You think no one ever
goes on vacation? You think every offered post actually gets posted?
I must have done something years ago to annoy you, because you never let
up.
Nancree

hahabogus

Nancy Young > wrote in
:

> Nancree wrote:
>>
>> The term "Shrimp Scampi" actually means "shrimp shrimp".

> Have you heard? The Beatles broke up!
>
> nancy

They did? NO WAY!!!

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
Levelwave©

Nancy Young wrote:

> Well, we say white bread, italian bread, french bread, why not
> foccachia (sp) bread. It describes what kind of bread. I've never
> seen foccachia that looked like any of the above.

It's arguing semantics... In other words it's pointless. It's for the
same people that thrive on correcting the spelling and/or typos of others.

~john

--
"Black holes are where God divided by Zero." - Steven Wright
projectile vomit chick

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Nancree wrote:
> >
> > Nancy Young wrote:
> > >Have you heard? The Beatles broke up!
> > >
> > >nancy

> > -------------------------------------
> > What are you referring to?

> Sorry, but that's the oldest news on the planet, yes, we know, scampi
> means some kind of shrimp or lobster. This discussion has been held
> here many, many times.

But heaven forbid that someone isn't 100 years old and been reading this
stale fart of a newsgroup for the past 99 years. Have you heard? You suck!

projectile vomit chick

"Levelwave©" > wrote in message
> In other words it's pointless.

Much like your posts.

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 22:09:02 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

>"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>> Nancree wrote:

>> > -------------------------------------
>> > What are you referring to?

>> Sorry, but that's the oldest news on the planet, yes, we know, scampi
>> means some kind of shrimp or lobster. This discussion has been held
>> here many, many times.
>>
>> nancy

>Yet many people here still refer to "shrimp scampi." It's on the same level
>as "pizza pie" or "tuna fish." Or, to cite a recent example, "fokacha
>bread!"

I always understood it to mean "shrimp [prepared in the manner
ordinarily used for] scampi [in Italy]."

Rodney Myrvaagnes Opinionated old geezer

Brutal dictators are routinely reelected by 90+%
margins. Only in a truly advanced democracy can
one win an election by a negative 600,000 votes.

Levelwave©

projectile vomit chick wrote:
> "Levelwave©" > wrote in message
>
>>In other words it's pointless.

> Much like your posts.

Yeah... but more like your breasts.

~john

--
"Black holes are where God divided by Zero." - Steven Wright
Christopher Green

Nancy Young > wrote in message >...
> Peter Aitken wrote:
> >
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> > > Sorry, but that's the oldest news on the planet, yes, we know, scampi
> > > means some kind of shrimp or lobster. This discussion has been held
> > > here many, many times.

> > Yet many people here still refer to "shrimp scampi."

> It's my strongest argument that shrimp scampi has come to mean a
> style of preparation. Shrimp Scampi, Chicken Scampi, yeah, we
> get what it means. Scampi can mean all it wants to in Italian,
> it means something else here. That's all I was saying.

Doesn't mean that in the UK, where there is an important scampi
fishery. Scampi is Norway lobster, period. "Shrimp scampi" is garlic
prawns or something like that. God forbid I should ever encounter
"chicken scampi".

--
Chris Green
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Nancree" > wrote in message

> Boy, Nancy, are you ever crabby ! The last time Shrimp Scampi was posted

was
> last August. You think there are no new newbies on RFC? You think no one

ever
> goes on vacation? You think every offered post actually gets posted?
> I must have done something years ago to annoy you, because you never

let
> up.
> Nancree

I think the annoyance comes because you start a new thread just to reiterate
what other people have already said. You did the same thing with the rice
wine vinegar/rice vinegar thread and other threads too numerous to name.
I'm sure even newbies are capable of following a thread to find the
information given--no need to start a whole new thread and waste even more
bandwidth.

rona (who now has to pay the telephone company for every single second it
takes to download posts--my kf is filling up fast)
--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and they will
**** upon your computer."

SportKite1

>From: "jmcquown"

>Damn, the Doobie Brothers broke up, too!

Then who was that playing in concert down here in Sarasota last month?

Ellen

Nancy Young

Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:

> "Nancree" > wrote in message

> > Boy, Nancy, are you ever crabby ! The last time Shrimp Scampi was posted

> was
> > last August. You think there are no new newbies on RFC? You think no one

> ever
> > goes on vacation? You think every offered post actually gets posted?
> > I must have done something years ago to annoy you, because you never

> let
> > up.
> > Nancree

> I think the annoyance comes because you start a new thread just to reiterate
> what other people have already said.

Thanks, Rona, you hit the nail on the head, and added to that the
subject line was in all caps, like there was a dramatic new twist
to shrimp scampi. All I did was point out that it was old news.

nancy

Tim Challenger

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 00:33:57 -0400, Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 22:09:02 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> > wrote:

>>> Sorry, but that's the oldest news on the planet, yes, we know, scampi
>>> means some kind of shrimp or lobster. This discussion has been held
>>> here many, many times.
>>>
>>> nancy

>>Yet many people here still refer to "shrimp scampi." It's on the same level
>>as "pizza pie" or "tuna fish." Or, to cite a recent example, "fokacha
>>bread!"

> I always understood it to mean "shrimp [prepared in the manner
> ordinarily used for] scampi [in Italy]."

That doesn't make sense to me, shouldn't it be "scampi shrimp"?

--
Tim C.
Nancy Young

Christopher Green wrote:

> Nancy Young > wrote in message

> > Shrimp Scampi, Chicken Scampi, yeah, we
> > get what it means. Scampi can mean all it wants to in Italian,
> > it means something else here. That's all I was saying.

> Doesn't mean that in the UK, where there is an important scampi
> fishery. Scampi is Norway lobster, period. "Shrimp scampi" is garlic
> prawns or something like that. God forbid I should ever encounter
> "chicken scampi".

It's delicious.

nancy
Peter Aitken

"Levelwave©" > wrote in message
> Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > Well, we say white bread, italian bread, french bread, why not
> > foccachia (sp) bread. It describes what kind of bread. I've never
> > seen foccachia that looked like any of the above.

> It's arguing semantics... In other words it's pointless. It's for the
> same people that thrive on correcting the spelling and/or typos of others.

No it's most definitely *not* pointless. Language is useful only to the
extent that words have specific meanings, and some people - myself
included - think this is important. If you do not, fine, it doesn't mean
you're stupid, just that you have other concerns. But I will say that
regularly using words incorrectly does give an impression of being
uneducated.

Plus, the example given is faulty. The word "white" or "French" by itself
does not have any reference to bread, hence the terms "white bread" etc. The
word "foccachia" by itself does mean bread - bread of a certain type, but
still bread. Would you say baguette bread or bagel bread?

--
Peter Aitken

notbob

On 2004-04-27, Peter Aitken > wrote:

> No it's most definitely *not* pointless. Language is useful only to the
> extent that words have specific meanings....

Man, this discussion is getting too tense. I think I'll take a relaxing
swig of wine from my bota bag.

nb
Peter Aitken

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2004-04-27, Peter Aitken > wrote:
>
> > No it's most definitely *not* pointless. Language is useful only to the
> > extent that words have specific meanings....

> Man, this discussion is getting too tense. I think I'll take a relaxing
> swig of wine from my bota bag.
>
> nb

Would that be charconnay wine or pinot noir wine <g>?

--
Peter Aitken

PENMART01

>> I always understood it to mean "shrimp [prepared in the manner
>> ordinarily used for] scampi [in Italy]."

>That doesn't make sense to me, shouldn't it be "scampi shrimp"?
>
>Tim C.

Shrimp a la Scampi

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
notbob

On 2004-04-27, Peter Aitken > wrote:

> Would that be charconnay wine or pinot noir wine <g>?

I think I'll go with a Burgundy.

nb
jmcquown

SportKite1 wrote:
>> From: "jmcquown"

>> Damn, the Doobie Brothers broke up, too!

> Then who was that playing in concert down here in Sarasota last month?
>
> Ellen

ROFL! It was a quasi-quote from an old movie - 'Romancing the Stone.'

Jill

jmcquown

Nancy Young wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> BTW, Elvis died in 1977 - I did not make that up ;-)

> Well, I saw him in Acme last week in the peanut butter aisle.
>
> nancy

Was he carrying bananas and a loaf of bread?

Jill

sf

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:17:03 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> Christopher Green wrote:
> >
> > Nancy Young > wrote in message

> > > Shrimp Scampi, Chicken Scampi, yeah, we
> > > get what it means. Scampi can mean all it wants to in Italian,
> > > it means something else here. That's all I was saying.

> > Doesn't mean that in the UK, where there is an important scampi
> > fishery. Scampi is Norway lobster, period. "Shrimp scampi" is garlic
> > prawns or something like that. God forbid I should ever encounter
> > "chicken scampi".

> It's delicious.

I certainly sounded good to me, but I didn't know any
restaurant produced it. Do they actually call it scampi?

sf

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:14:43 +0900, "Rona Yuthasastrakosol"
> wrote:

> "Nancree" > wrote in message
>
> > Boy, Nancy, are you ever crabby ! The last time Shrimp Scampi was posted

> was
> > last August. You think there are no new newbies on RFC? You think no one

> ever
> > goes on vacation? You think every offered post actually gets posted?
> > I must have done something years ago to annoy you, because you never

> let
> > up.
> > Nancree
> >

> I think the annoyance comes because you start a new thread just to reiterate
> what other people have already said. You did the same thing with the rice
> wine vinegar/rice vinegar thread and other threads too numerous to name.
> I'm sure even newbies are capable of following a thread to find the
> information given--no need to start a whole new thread and waste even more
> bandwidth.

Bandwidth isn't an issue for the majority of us, but
connection speed is... unless they are working on their
T1 - T3 at work (or work supplied line).

> rona (who now has to pay the telephone company for every single second it
> takes to download posts--my kf is filling up fast)

Ouch, that's regressing! I thought those days were long
gone.

My best advice is to DL your headers, delete what doesn't
interest you while working off line - and then download
what's left.

sf

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 12:59:19 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

> The word "white" or "French" by itself
> does not have any reference to bread, hence the terms "white bread" etc. The
> word "foccachia" by itself does mean bread - bread of a certain type, but
> still bread. Would you say baguette bread or bagel bread?

Not putting myself in the "approve" camp, but when I hear or
read the term "focaccia bread", I immediately envision a
sandwich. I also know approximately how think/thin it will
be.

So, the term may be redundant and irritating, but it can
also be helpful.

BTW: this is a good time to ask - Does anyone know what
"sandwiches" made by folding a thinish piece of focaccia
taco style and filling it with a salad type mixture are
called.... ???

sf

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:19:50 GMT, notbob
> wrote:

> On 2004-04-27, Peter Aitken > wrote:
>
> > No it's most definitely *not* pointless. Language is useful only to the
> > extent that words have specific meanings....

> Man, this discussion is getting too tense. I think I'll take a relaxing
> swig of wine from my bota bag.

Which shoulder do you sling it over?

sf

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:44:25 GMT, notbob
> wrote:

> On 2004-04-27, Peter Aitken > wrote:
>
> > Would that be charconnay wine or pinot noir wine <g>?

> I think I'll go with a Burgundy.
>
> nb

Eeeew! Why are you going for the French stuff?

Geeze, cheap chianti can't be beat in a boda - after a few
tokes, of course... Spanish wines (like rioja) weren't well
known at the time.

just for consumer information ;-)
http://www.civusa.com/consumerCenter/glossary.html

sf

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:26:08 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >>
> >> BTW, Elvis died in 1977 - I did not make that up ;-)

> > Well, I saw him in Acme last week in the peanut butter aisle.
> >
> > nancy

> Was he carrying bananas and a loaf of bread?

Don't forget the lard!
http://splendidtable.publicradio.org...in_pbsand.html

cristina

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 12:59:19 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> > wrote:
>

>> The word "white" or "French" by itself
>> does not have any reference to bread, hence the terms "white bread"
>> etc. The word "foccachia" by itself does mean bread - bread of a
>> certain type, but still bread. Would you say baguette bread or
>> bagel bread?

> Not putting myself in the "approve" camp, but when I hear or
> read the term "focaccia bread", I immediately envision a
> sandwich. I also know approximately how think/thin it will
> be.
>
> So, the term may be redundant and irritating, but it can
> also be helpful.
>
> BTW: this is a good time to ask - Does anyone know what
> "sandwiches" made by folding a thinish piece of focaccia
> taco style and filling it with a salad type mixture are
> called.... ???

Its not made from focaccia though. The "bread" is a piadina. Looks almost
like a flour tortilla (I use a certain brand when I want to make Mexican
food over here) although it is a risen tortilla in other places. The
sandwich as well is called a piadina or for example a piadina with boiled
ham would be piadina con prosciutto cotto.

HTH
--
Cristina
http://www.chianti-assistance.com

Tim Challenger

On 27 Apr 2004 14:32:41 GMT, PENMART01 wrote:

>>> I always understood it to mean "shrimp [prepared in the manner
>>> ordinarily used for] scampi [in Italy]."

>>That doesn't make sense to me, shouldn't it be "scampi shrimp"?
>>
>>Tim C.

> Shrimp a la Scampi
>
> ---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> *********
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
> Sheldon
> ````````````

Odd really, an ostensibly Italian dish described in French in
(US)English-speaking forum.

Two very small words make all the difference.

--
Tim C.
Dan Abel

In article > , "Peter
Aitken" > wrote:

> Would that be charconnay wine or pinot noir wine <g>?

A whole bunch of our dorm buildings are named after wine varietals. We
also have a big problem with alcohol in the dorms, especially since almost
every dorm resident is underage. I went on a tour in the dorms once, and
the guy leading it (some big cheese in the dorms) denied that the
buildings were named after wines. He said they were named after grapes!
I've eaten some wine grapes, and can testify that they are not suitable
for any other use than wine.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

notbob

On 2004-04-28, Dan Abel > wrote:

> the guy leading it (some big cheese in the dorms) denied that the
> buildings were named after wines. He said they were named after grapes!

????

Would you have us believe varientals are not grapes? While I realize wine
names are seriously abused, and wines named after varietal grapes can
contain other grapes varieties, that does not mean 'varietal' is not
synonymous with grape variety.

varietal: descriptive term for a wine nemed after the dominant grape variety
from which it is made. --Oxford Companion to Wine

IOW, a chardonnay wine IS made with chardonnay grapes.

chardonnay: a white grape variety --OCW

Of course, if your dorms are named Meritage or white zinfandel, then I'm
oughta here.

nb
Dan Abel

In article <reWjc.39896$YP5.3007155@attbi_s02>, notbob
> wrote:

> On 2004-04-28, Dan Abel > wrote:
>

> > the guy leading it (some big cheese in the dorms) denied that the
> > buildings were named after wines. He said they were named after grapes!

> ????
>
> Would you have us believe varientals are not grapes? While I realize wine
> names are seriously abused, and wines named after varietal grapes can
> contain other grapes varieties, that does not mean 'varietal' is not
> synonymous with grape variety.

That's the point, they are synonymous. I don't know if the guy was joking
(likely) or if he was making some kind of tricky claim. Obviously they
were name after the wines, not after the grapes the wines were made out
of.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University