Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default JELL-O - Do You Like It?

Jell-O is probably the most popular dessert there is, going back many
generations, and always satisfying for just the "right sweetness" to
satisfy anyone's palate, and as they always say, "there is always room
for Jell-O!" Most desserts are heavy and filling, particularly following
a meal, but Jell-O always seems to go down easy. I'm talking about the
gelatin powder and not the Jell-O puddings, although they are good too.

Do you make it often at your house? Do you enjoy it? What do you best
like in it, or prefer it plain?

My hubby often asks for it, and likes one of the red fruit flavors, such
as strawberry, with fruit cocktail and bananas in it, served with just a
dab of real whipped cream on top. My dad liked it with only sliced
bananas, but I like it just plain even, and also enjoy a good Jell-O
salad too.

Do you have a favorite flavor(s)? I like most of them, and use them for
various things, such as lemon Jell-O for a pound cake recipe I have and
use various flavors for the Poke & Pour Cakes. I have used it in cookies
and cupcakes too, and use to make Jigglers for the kids, when they were
younger.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 6, 12:49*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> Jell-O is probably the most popular dessert there is, going back many
> generations, and always satisfying for just the "right sweetness" to
> satisfy anyone's palate, and as they always say, "there is always room
> for Jell-O!" Most desserts are heavy and filling, particularly following
> a meal, but Jell-O always seems to go down easy. I'm talking about the
> gelatin powder and not the Jell-O puddings, although they are good too.
>
> Do you make it often at your house? Do you enjoy it? What do you best
> like in it, or prefer it plain?
>
> My hubby often asks for it, and likes one of the red fruit flavors, such
> as strawberry, with fruit cocktail and bananas in it, served with just a
> dab of real whipped cream on top. My dad liked it with only sliced
> bananas, but I like it just plain even, and also enjoy a good Jell-O
> salad too.
>
> Do you have a favorite flavor(s)? I like most of them, and use them for
> various things, such as lemon Jell-O for a pound cake recipe I have and
> use various flavors for the Poke & Pour Cakes. I have used it in cookies
> and cupcakes too, and use to make Jigglers for the kids, when they were
> younger.
>
> Judy

Hate it. A real junk food in my book. Haven't touched it in 50
years. Prob. should be banned.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 6, 12:49*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> Do you make it often at your house? Do you enjoy it? What do you best
> like in it, or prefer it plain?

Jello Shots!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

>Hate it. A real junk food in my book.
> Haven't touched it in 50 years. Prob.
> should be banned.

HUH?! what is the basis for your feelings that it is junk food and
should be banned? You're the first person I've ever heard say they hated
it, and I've been around for 72 years, so am curious about your line of
thinking? Strange that...but everyone is different. <shrug>

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/6/2013 12:49 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> Jell-O is probably the most popular dessert there is, going back many
> generations, and always satisfying for just the "right sweetness" to
> satisfy anyone's palate, and as they always say, "there is always room
> for Jell-O!" Most desserts are heavy and filling, particularly following
> a meal, but Jell-O always seems to go down easy. I'm talking about the
> gelatin powder and not the Jell-O puddings, although they are good too.
>
> Do you make it often at your house? Do you enjoy it? What do you best
> like in it, or prefer it plain?
>
> My hubby often asks for it, and likes one of the red fruit flavors, such
> as strawberry, with fruit cocktail and bananas in it, served with just a
> dab of real whipped cream on top. My dad liked it with only sliced
> bananas, but I like it just plain even, and also enjoy a good Jell-O
> salad too.
>
> Do you have a favorite flavor(s)? I like most of them, and use them for
> various things, such as lemon Jell-O for a pound cake recipe I have and
> use various flavors for the Poke & Pour Cakes. I have used it in cookies
> and cupcakes too, and use to make Jigglers for the kids, when they were
> younger.
>
> Judy

I've been known to make it on a graham cracker crust with coloured
marshmallows in the jello as well
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/6/2013 7:49 AM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> Jell-O is probably the most popular dessert there is, going back many
> generations, and always satisfying for just the "right sweetness" to
> satisfy anyone's palate, and as they always say, "there is always room
> for Jell-O!" Most desserts are heavy and filling, particularly following
> a meal, but Jell-O always seems to go down easy. I'm talking about the
> gelatin powder and not the Jell-O puddings, although they are good too.
>
> Do you make it often at your house? Do you enjoy it? What do you best
> like in it, or prefer it plain?
>
> My hubby often asks for it, and likes one of the red fruit flavors, such
> as strawberry, with fruit cocktail and bananas in it, served with just a
> dab of real whipped cream on top. My dad liked it with only sliced
> bananas, but I like it just plain even, and also enjoy a good Jell-O
> salad too.
>
> Do you have a favorite flavor(s)? I like most of them, and use them for
> various things, such as lemon Jell-O for a pound cake recipe I have and
> use various flavors for the Poke & Pour Cakes. I have used it in cookies
> and cupcakes too, and use to make Jigglers for the kids, when they were
> younger.
>
> Judy

Jell-O is an old-fashioned kind of thing over here. I don't see much of
it these days. If I saw some, I'd have some. They should change the
formula of Jell-O to make it more stable at room temperature. Agar-agar,
which is the same stuff used in countless labs to culture bacteria and
is the more popular gelling agent in Asian desserts, would work great.
We make our gel dessert with agar-agar AKA kanten. That stuff stays
solid at room temperature.

Here's a recipe that's popular over here. This version uses gelatin.

http://www.examiner.com/article/cool...e-almond-float
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 13:18:27 -0500, Hench > wrote:

> I've been known to make it on a graham cracker crust with coloured
> marshmallows in the jello as well

I bet you'd like Pretzel Jello Salad - just google for the recipe,
they're pretty much alike with slight variations. I've never made it,
but I've eaten it and it's really good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 08:34:47 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> Here's a recipe that's popular over here. This version uses gelatin.
>
> http://www.examiner.com/article/cool...e-almond-float

That stuff is SO good! I used to make it all the time; even took it
to school once for a kid's birthday celebration with the class (in
individual "paper" cups).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 06/01/2013 12:49 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> Jell-O is probably the most popular dessert there is, going back many
> generations, and always satisfying for just the "right sweetness" to
> satisfy anyone's palate, and as they always say, "there is always room
> for Jell-O!" Most desserts are heavy and filling, particularly following
> a meal, but Jell-O always seems to go down easy. I'm talking about the
> gelatin powder and not the Jell-O puddings, although they are good too.
>
> Do you make it often at your house? Do you enjoy it? What do you best
> like in it, or prefer it plain?

I like it and enjoy it but, to be honest, I have not made it or had it
in years.

> My hubby often asks for it, and likes one of the red fruit flavors, such
> as strawberry, with fruit cocktail and bananas in it, served with just a
> dab of real whipped cream on top. My dad liked it with only sliced
> bananas, but I like it just plain even, and also enjoy a good Jell-O
> salad too.

I like it with either bananas or fruit cocktail

> Do you have a favorite flavor(s)? I like most of them, and use them for
> various things, such as lemon Jell-O for a pound cake recipe I have and

Red or green. Technically, they have specific flavours, but none of
them really taste like the fruit they claim to be.

When I was a kid my parents were friends with an elderly English couple
who had no kids of their own, and no family here. He was an
interesting guy who had been a sailor and had sailed around the world
many times. In fact, he is the reason I have issues about tattoos. He
was in his late 80s (back in the 1950s) and had a bunch of tattoos that
were all blurred and faded.

He and his wife were avid gardeners and had a huge fruit and vegetable
garden. She canned most of their vegetables. She served gelatin for
dessert. Not Jello. She used to make it from gelatin packages and
flavoured it with fruit from the garden. Raspberry was made with
raspberry juice, and strawberry with fresh strawberries.

> use various flavors for the Poke & Pour Cakes. I have used it in cookies
> and cupcakes too, and use to make Jigglers for the kids, when they were
> younger.
>
> Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/6/2013 8:40 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 08:34:47 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> Here's a recipe that's popular over here. This version uses gelatin.
>>
>> http://www.examiner.com/article/cool...e-almond-float

> That stuff is SO good! I used to make it all the time; even took it
> to school once for a kid's birthday celebration with the class (in
> individual "paper" cups).

Almond float is not too sweet or intense or too cold or too heavy or too
anything. You could call it "bland" but it approaches the sublime.

I'll go make some, although I cheat - there's a box of it in my cabinet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 1/6/2013 11:55 AM, Thomas wrote:
> On Jan 6, 12:49 pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
>> Do you make it often at your house? Do you enjoy it? What do you best
>> like in it, or prefer it plain?
>>

> Jello Shots!

Ditto!!! DiL made some jello shots when I recently visited DS and
Family this past holiday season. They were very good, and it's hard to
believe I'd never had jello shots before

Sky, who'll make some 'raspberry jello shots' in the near future

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
On Jan 6, 12:49 pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> Jell-O is probably the most popular dessert there is, going back many
> generations, and always satisfying for just the "right sweetness" to
> satisfy anyone's palate, and as they always say, "there is always room
> for Jell-O!" Most desserts are heavy and filling, particularly following
> a meal, but Jell-O always seems to go down easy. I'm talking about the
> gelatin powder and not the Jell-O puddings, although they are good too.
>
> Do you make it often at your house? Do you enjoy it? What do you best
> like in it, or prefer it plain?
>
> My hubby often asks for it, and likes one of the red fruit flavors, such
> as strawberry, with fruit cocktail and bananas in it, served with just a
> dab of real whipped cream on top. My dad liked it with only sliced
> bananas, but I like it just plain even, and also enjoy a good Jell-O
> salad too.
>
> Do you have a favorite flavor(s)? I like most of them, and use them for
> various things, such as lemon Jell-O for a pound cake recipe I have and
> use various flavors for the Poke & Pour Cakes. I have used it in cookies
> and cupcakes too, and use to make Jigglers for the kids, when they were
> younger.
>
> Judy

Hate it. A real junk food in my book. Haven't touched it in 50
years. Prob. should be banned.

=========

I'm not fond of it at all, unless it's loaded with cream cheese and walnuts.
I hate plain Jell-O.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sw wrote:

>Running out of ideas for surveys, are
> you, Judy? Now we have to stoop as
> low as to discuss the culinary virtues of
> Jell-O?

Ya, right on! Next I might start a survey on what makes you
"tick"...that ought to be a winner, don't you think? LOL

Least I'm not discussing why my soup went wrong, and how to cook cheaply
out of nothing, etc., etc., etc.

No one said you have to partake in threads that are of no interest to
you, right?

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 09:07:31 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> On 1/6/2013 8:40 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 08:34:47 -1000, dsi1
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Here's a recipe that's popular over here. This version uses gelatin.
> >>
> >> http://www.examiner.com/article/cool...e-almond-float

> > That stuff is SO good! I used to make it all the time; even took it
> > to school once for a kid's birthday celebration with the class (in
> > individual "paper" cups).
> >

> Almond float is not too sweet or intense or too cold or too heavy or too
> anything. You could call it "bland" but it approaches the sublime.
>
> I'll go make some, although I cheat - there's a box of it in my cabinet.

I don't call it bland at all, it's definitely not sweet and I adore
the almond flavor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 13:41:35 -0600, Sky >
wrote:

> On 1/6/2013 11:55 AM, Thomas wrote:
> > On Jan 6, 12:49 pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> >> Do you make it often at your house? Do you enjoy it? What do you best
> >> like in it, or prefer it plain?
> >>

> > Jello Shots!

> Ditto!!! DiL made some jello shots when I recently visited DS and
> Family this past holiday season. They were very good, and it's hard to
> believe I'd never had jello shots before
>
> Sky, who'll make some 'raspberry jello shots' in the near future

I've never had one either. Maybe it was (is?) a regional thing
because I'd never heard of it before I started reading RFC.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Jan 2013 12:04:58 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> I'm not fond of it at all, unless it's loaded with cream cheese and walnuts.
> I hate plain Jell-O.

Jello was something we were given when we had the "stomach flu" and
I've never gotten past it being "sick food" although I will eat it
voluntarily on rare occasions. I was the type who didn't like the
taste of (food name here) for a very long time if I ate it even once
while I was sick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I don't like plain Jello, but I love Jello salads. I never make them,
but they are at every work potluck. Congealed salad is another name for
Jello salad.

A coworker makes a delicious lime cake which I am fairly certain contains
Jello.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/6/2013 12:49 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:
> Jell-O is probably the most popular dessert there is, going back many
> generations, and always satisfying for just the "right sweetness" to
> satisfy anyone's palate, and as they always say, "there is always room
> for Jell-O!" Most desserts are heavy and filling, particularly following
> a meal, but Jell-O always seems to go down easy. I'm talking about the
> gelatin powder and not the Jell-O puddings, although they are good too.
>
> Do you make it often at your house? Do you enjoy it? What do you best
> like in it, or prefer it plain?
>
> My hubby often asks for it, and likes one of the red fruit flavors, such
> as strawberry, with fruit cocktail and bananas in it, served with just a
> dab of real whipped cream on top. My dad liked it with only sliced
> bananas, but I like it just plain even, and also enjoy a good Jell-O
> salad too.
>
> Do you have a favorite flavor(s)? I like most of them, and use them for
> various things, such as lemon Jell-O for a pound cake recipe I have and
> use various flavors for the Poke & Pour Cakes. I have used it in cookies
> and cupcakes too, and use to make Jigglers for the kids, when they were
> younger.
>
> Judy

Commercial Jello is not as strongly flavored as I prefer, so I don't eat
much.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I always use Jello as one layer in my trifle. My favorite flavors are
black cherry and raspberry.

Best Jello line ever:

"Eat it? It ain't dead yet!" -- Bill Cosby

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" > wrote in message
>I don't like plain Jello, but I love Jello salads. I never make them,
> but they are at every work potluck. Congealed salad is another name for
> Jello salad.
>
> A coworker makes a delicious lime cake which I am fairly certain contains
> Jello.
>
> Tara

Yes, there's a Key Lime Cake that uses lime Jell-O.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 06/01/2013 3:36 PM, pltrgyst wrote:
> I always use Jello as one layer in my trifle. My favorite flavors are
> black cherry and raspberry.
>
> Best Jello line ever:
>
> "Eat it? It ain't dead yet!" -- Bill Cosby

OR..... what's the difference between a bowl of Jello and a Jewish wife?

The Jello moves when you poke it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 15:36:30 -0500, pltrgyst >
wrote:

>I always use Jello as one layer in my trifle. My favorite flavors are
>black cherry and raspberry.

Jello in trifle? I'm intrigued- Recipe?

>Best Jello line ever:
>
>"Eat it? It ain't dead yet!" -- Bill Cosby

was that before or while he was Jello's spokesperson?

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 6, 1:34*pm, dsi1 > wrote:
> On 1/6/2013 7:49 AM, Judy Haffner wrote:
>

> > Jell-O is probably the most popular dessert there is, going back many
> > generations, and always satisfying for just the "right sweetness" to
> > satisfy anyone's palate, and as they always say, "there is always room
> > for Jell-O!" Most desserts are heavy and filling, particularly following
> > a meal, but Jell-O always seems to go down easy. I'm talking about the
> > gelatin powder and not the Jell-O puddings, although they are good too.

> > Do you make it often at your house? Do you enjoy it? What do you best
> > like in it, or prefer it plain?

> > My hubby often asks for it, and likes one of the red fruit flavors, such
> > as strawberry, with fruit cocktail and bananas in it, served with just a
> > dab of real whipped cream on top. My dad liked it with only sliced
> > bananas, but I like it just plain even, and also enjoy a good Jell-O
> > salad too.

> > Do you have a favorite flavor(s)? I like most of them, and use them for
> > various things, such as lemon Jell-O for a pound cake recipe I have and
> > use various flavors for the Poke & Pour Cakes. I have used it in cookies
> > and cupcakes too, and use to make Jigglers for the kids, when they were
> > younger.

> > Judy

> Jell-O is an old-fashioned kind of thing over here. I don't see much of
> it these days. If I saw some, I'd have some. They should change the
> formula of Jell-O to make it more stable at room temperature. Agar-agar,
> which is the same stuff used in countless labs to culture bacteria and
> is the more popular gelling agent in Asian desserts, would work great.
> We make our gel dessert with agar-agar AKA kanten. That stuff stays
> solid at room temperature.
>
> Here's a recipe that's popular over here. This version uses gelatin.
>
> http://www.examiner.com/article/cool...inese-almo...- Hide quoted text -

Why would anyone want to eat room temperature Jell-O?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Jan 2013 13:29:55 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

> Why would anyone want to eat room temperature Jell-O?

Why would you say something like that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim wrote:

>Mom used to make what she called
> 'Bavarian Cream'. * I remember
> cherries, red Jello, whipped cream,
> walnuts? * I should see if someone has
> that recipe.

Jim, this may be similar to what you remember your mom making? We really
love this, and though it doesn't call for walnuts, you could easily add
some to it to give it crunch, but I love the smooth "velvety" texture as
is.

Black Cherry Bavarian

1 pkg. (3 oz.) black cherry flavored Jell-O
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup boiling water
3/4 cup cold water
1 can pitted black cherries, well drained
1 envelope prepared Dream Whip (I prefer whipping 1/2 pint real whipping
cream and folding that in)

Combine sugar and Jell-O and add boiling water, stirring to dissolve.
Add cold water and chill until slightly thickened and fold in whipped
cream until blended and add drained cherries. I like to put it in a
pretty glass bowl. Chill until set.

Enjoy!
Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Haven't had any since Jack Benny went off the air. ("J-E-L-L----O")

> Do you have a favorite flavor(s)? I like most of them, and use them for
> various things, such as lemon Jell-O for a pound cake recipe I have and
> use various flavors for the Poke & Pour Cakes. I have used it in cookies
> and cupcakes too, and use to make Jigglers for the kids, when they were
> younger.

Is this message coming from an alternate universe where Jack Benny is
still on the air? "Poke and Pour Cakes"? "Jigglers"?

I have seen Jello where old people like to eat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-01-06 17:49:23 +0000, Judy Haffner said:

> Do you make it often at your house? Do you enjoy it?

I haven't had it in probably 35 years. I haven't even seen it outside
a cafeteria line.

In fairness I rarely eat dessert at home and only on special occasions
will I share a creme brulee or some such. Not a diet-conscious thing,
just that if I am little more hungry I'll eat a little more entree
instead. Wanting dessert is a market of dinner being a general
failu Not pleasant enough to eat more of, not enough of it, that
kind of stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 6, 10:07*am, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Jan 2013 08:49:23 -0900, (Judy Haffner)
> wrote:
>

> >Jell-O is probably the most popular dessert there is, going back many
> >generations, and always satisfying for just the "right sweetness" to
> >satisfy anyone's palate, and as they always say, "there is always room
> >for Jell-O!" Most desserts are heavy and filling, particularly following
> >a meal, but Jell-O always seems to go down easy. I'm talking about the
> >gelatin powder and not the Jell-O puddings, although they are good too.

> >Do you make it often at your house? Do you enjoy it? What do you best
> >like in it, or prefer it plain?

> We don't do desserts often- but usually snack later in the evening.
> sometimes sweet- sometimes savory.
>
> If I make Jello every other year I'd be surprised. * * Then it is
> likely red- with fruit in it.
>
> Whipped cream helps it.
>
> Instant puddings are just as rare- * *More likely to make rice, bread,
> or custard puddings. *Even more likely to make ice cream.
>
> Mom used to make what she called 'Bavarian Cream'. * I remember
> cherries, red Jello, whipped cream, walnuts? * *I should see if
> someone has that recipe.

Sounds close to Nesselrode pie.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/6/13 4:12 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 15:36:30 -0500, pltrgyst >
> wrote:
>>
>> Best Jello line ever:
>>
>> "Eat it? It ain't dead yet!" -- Bill Cosby
>>

> was that before or while he was Jello's spokesperson?

Way before, when he did the Fat Albert album.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> Jell-O is probably the most popular dessert there is, going back many
> generations, and always satisfying for just the "right sweetness" to
> satisfy anyone's palate, and as they always say, "there is always room
> for Jell-O!" Most desserts are heavy and filling, particularly following
> a meal, but Jell-O always seems to go down easy. I'm talking about the
> gelatin powder and not the Jell-O puddings, although they are good too.
>
> Do you make it often at your house? Do you enjoy it? What do you best
> like in it, or prefer it plain?
>
> My hubby often asks for it, and likes one of the red fruit flavors, such
> as strawberry, with fruit cocktail and bananas in it, served with just a
> dab of real whipped cream on top. My dad liked it with only sliced
> bananas, but I like it just plain even, and also enjoy a good Jell-O
> salad too.
>
> Do you have a favorite flavor(s)? I like most of them, and use them for
> various things, such as lemon Jell-O for a pound cake recipe I have and
> use various flavors for the Poke & Pour Cakes. I have used it in cookies
> and cupcakes too, and use to make Jigglers for the kids, when they were
> younger.
>
> Judy

Nope. Don't like it at all. We didn't have it much as a kid except at my
one grandma's house because she liked to make it. For holidays my mom would
make it. Usually a green layer with pineapple or pears in it, topped with a
yellow layer mixed with cottage or cream cheese. And it got to be tradition
that she forgot to put it on the table. Nobody ever missed it and it never
all got eaten so she finally quit making it. I do sometimes make a
cranberry salad for Christmas and/or Thanksgiving that uses Jell-OF but
that's about the only time I buy it unless someone is sick. I this house it
is considered sick food.

We had the Jugglers when I was a kid but nobody ate them. We just played
with them until they got all messed up then tossed them in the trash and
cleaned up because by the we were all sticky.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> On Jan 6, 12:49 pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
>> Jell-O is probably the most popular dessert there is, going back many
>> generations, and always satisfying for just the "right sweetness" to
>> satisfy anyone's palate, and as they always say, "there is always
>> room for Jell-O!" Most desserts are heavy and filling, particularly
>> following a meal, but Jell-O always seems to go down easy. I'm
>> talking about the gelatin powder and not the Jell-O puddings,
>> although they are good too.
>>
>> Do you make it often at your house? Do you enjoy it? What do you best
>> like in it, or prefer it plain?
>>
>> My hubby often asks for it, and likes one of the red fruit flavors,
>> such as strawberry, with fruit cocktail and bananas in it, served
>> with just a dab of real whipped cream on top. My dad liked it with
>> only sliced bananas, but I like it just plain even, and also enjoy a
>> good Jell-O salad too.
>>
>> Do you have a favorite flavor(s)? I like most of them, and use them
>> for various things, such as lemon Jell-O for a pound cake recipe I
>> have and use various flavors for the Poke & Pour Cakes. I have used
>> it in cookies and cupcakes too, and use to make Jigglers for the
>> kids, when they were younger.
>>
>> Judy

> Hate it. A real junk food in my book. Haven't touched it in 50
> years. Prob. should be banned.

Agreed!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Judy Haffner wrote:
> Kalmia wrote:
>
>> Hate it. A real junk food in my book.
>> Haven't touched it in 50 years. Prob.
>> should be banned.

> HUH?! what is the basis for your feelings that it is junk food and
> should be banned? You're the first person I've ever heard say they
> hated it, and I've been around for 72 years, so am curious about your
> line of thinking? Strange that...but everyone is different. <shrug>

And I don't know *anyone* who likes the stuff. If it was so good you'd
still be seeing it in restaurants, wouldn't you? It was commonly seen in
dessert cases when I was a kid. It's not any more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Jan 2013 12:04:58 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

>> I'm not fond of it at all, unless it's loaded with cream cheese and
>> walnuts. I hate plain Jell-O.

> Jello was something we were given when we had the "stomach flu" and
> I've never gotten past it being "sick food" although I will eat it
> voluntarily on rare occasions. I was the type who didn't like the
> taste of (food name here) for a very long time if I ate it even once
> while I was sick.

Yes. That's how I feel about it and also Saltine crackers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 13:41:35 -0600, Sky >
> wrote:

>>> Jello Shots!

>> Ditto!!! DiL made some jello shots when I recently visited DS and
>> Family this past holiday season. They were very good, and it's hard
>> to believe I'd never had jello shots before
>>
>> Sky, who'll make some 'raspberry jello shots' in the near future

> I've never had one either. Maybe it was (is?) a regional thing
> because I'd never heard of it before I started reading RFC.

I've been to parties where they had them. People even said they didn't
taste good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Running out of ideas for surveys, are you, Judy? Now we have to stoop
> as low as to discuss the culinary virtues of Jell-O?

My mom said it was a big deal when she was a kid because of its properties
and at the time it was an amazing thing. They didn't have refrigerators
then so could only make it in the cold months and they used to go set the
bowl out in the snow until it set up.

But these days with molecular gastronomy, Jell-O seems to pale in
comparison.