Old 12-10-2012, 04:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Do not call

Does anyone know if there is central agency where we can report
commercial cold calls? I am registered for do not call but I still get
them. The latest is from Disney World, which is hardly a charity or a
political party.
--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/2012 11:05 AM, James Silverton wrote:
Does anyone know if there is central agency where we can report
commercial cold calls? I am registered for do not call but I still get
them. The latest is from Disney World, which is hardly a charity or a
political party.

I have been registered with the Do Not Call registry since it first
started. I was getting an outrageous number of calls. Every once in a
while I started getting calls from people who introduces themselves
with a very Anglo name but who have strong sub continent accents. They
claim to be calling from my ISP and say they are getting a lot of virus
alerts from my computer. I have tried hanging up, calling them liars,
yelling and screaming at them. The calls kept coming. I decided to have
fun with them. I try to make conversation with them, play dumb, carry
on for as long as I can. I was able to keep them on the line for up to
10 minutes, which I figure saves some other poor saps from being
hassled. I think they gave up on my number.

In Canada, you can contact the CRTC to register complaints. I have done
it. I don't know if there were any charges laid in that case, but the
calls did stop.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

Does anyone know if there is central agency where we can report
commercial cold calls? I am registered for do not call but I still get
them. The latest is from Disney World, which is hardly a charity or a
political party.
--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

There is a "file a complaint" link right on the donotcall.gov home page.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-10-12, James Silverton wrote:

them. The latest is from Disney World, which is hardly a charity or a
political party.

Live call or recording?

I get a lotta recordings, which I promptly hang up on. I heard the
govt was gonna outlaw all recording calls, but haven't seen it. I
don't think they do much against blind live calls, either. That govt
do-not-call thing was probably more to make the govt look good than to
actually do anything to stop the calls. I notice the govt passes a
lot of laws making things illegal, but provides no penalty for
disobeying said laws. IOW, toothless laws, which are useless.

nb

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."
Old 12-10-2012, 05:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-10-12, James Silverton wrote:

them. The latest is from Disney World, which is hardly a charity or a
political party.

Live call or recording?

I get a lotta recordings, which I promptly hang up on. I heard the
govt was gonna outlaw all recording calls, but haven't seen it. I
don't think they do much against blind live calls, either. That govt
do-not-call thing was probably more to make the govt look good than to
actually do anything to stop the calls. I notice the govt passes a
lot of laws making things illegal, but provides no penalty for
disobeying said laws. IOW, toothless laws, which are useless.

with recordings, if I have time, I press 1 (usually that works) and then I
get connected to a live person, presumably because I am interested in their
crapola. I then either curse at them or politely quiz them on why they are
breaking the law, depending on my mood. I might go to the "waste as much of
their time as possible" angle, as I used to do that years ago. I suppose I
could also take info and sue them, but I am not sure that is as much fun.

I do have to wonder why the DNC list seems to have ceased being effective.
It seemed to work wonders when it was first implemented.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-10-12, James Silverton wrote:

them. The latest is from Disney World, which is hardly a charity or a
political party.

Live call or recording?

I get a lotta recordings, which I promptly hang up on. I heard the
govt was gonna outlaw all recording calls, but haven't seen it. I
don't think they do much against blind live calls, either. That govt
do-not-call thing was probably more to make the govt look good than to
actually do anything to stop the calls. I notice the govt passes a
lot of laws making things illegal, but provides no penalty for
disobeying said laws. IOW, toothless laws, which are useless.

nb

~~~~~~~~~~
I registered on donotcall.gov. That greatly reduced the number of "junk"
calls but did not eliminate them. I also screen my calls and do not answer
unless I recognize the name or number. I never pick up and dial "1" because
that just shows it is an active number.

MaryL

Old 12-10-2012, 06:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2012 11:05 AM, James Silverton wrote:

Does anyone know if there is central agency where we can report
commercial cold calls? I am registered for do not call but I still get
them. The latest is from Disney World, which is hardly a charity or a
political party.

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov
https://complaints.donotcall.gov

There's also a call center where you can talk with a live call center
rep. The FTC takes this seriously so file your complaints.

1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357)
http://www.ftc.gov/ftc/contact.shtm

Old 12-10-2012, 06:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

Does anyone know if there is central agency where we can report
commercial cold calls? I am registered for do not call but I still get
them. The latest is from Disney World, which is hardly a charity or a
political party.
--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Screen all calls. that's what I do.
Landline phone: answering machine is your friend
Cell phone: if they are not on my friend list, I don't answer.

G.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 09:51:28 -0700, "Pico Rico"
wrote:
snip

I do have to wonder why the DNC list seems to have ceased being effective.
It seemed to work wonders when it was first implemented.

The rule is that if you have ever had any legitimate dealings with
their company (or subs), they have a legal right to call you. If they
are a political affiliation or religious group they can call you. If
you ever respond to them, they can claim that you have done business
with them. If you respond or call the number they give you to
discontinue the calls, you have affirmed that the phone number is a
live and good one.

The most maddening one is 'Rachel'. She's a computer call and she
never gives up. She's the one who calls about better rates for your
credit cards. The proper response for a computer call is Just Hang Up.
For a live person you say "No, please don't call again, take my name
off of your list."

The folks claiming to be a tech from Microsoft is a brand new scam
that has caught so many people that the Feds have put out an alert
citizens. The people claiming to be from your phone company and
wanting to sign you up for something or check something will drive you
to curses and tears.

Basically, unless you have initiated something with a company, you
just have to hang up.

Thank you. It felt good to get that off my chest. I

Janet US
Old 12-10-2012, 06:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

I was able to keep them on the line for up to
10 minutes, which I figure saves some other poor saps from being
hassled. I think they gave up on my number.

Have you asked to speak to their supervisor?
That might buy you a few more minutes.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" wrote in message
Does anyone know if there is central agency where we can report commercial
cold calls? I am registered for do not call but I still get them. The
latest is from Disney World, which is hardly a charity or a political
party.
--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

I don't really think there's much you can do about it. The Do Not Call is
mostly a joke, since they really don't follow up. I have a wonderful gadget
that I got many years ago from Radio Shack that rejects the numbers (up to
20) and cuts them off after a 1 1/2 rings so you don't have to wait for the
answering machine. They don't make them anymore, but I love it.

If I'm sitting close to the phone, I just pick it up and hang it up. I have
all the ringers turned off except one in the bedroom, so I'm not too
bothered. Since we used to have a home office for business, the calls are
pretty much neverending even though the office phone has been disconnected.

Cheri

Old 12-10-2012, 09:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2012 3:08 PM, Andy wrote:
James Silverton wrote:

Does anyone know if there is central agency where we can
report commercial cold calls? I am registered for do not
call but I still get them. The latest is from Disney World,
which is hardly a charity or a political party.

Gary,

That reminds me of a saying but I don't remember who to
credit...

Thanks everyone especially for telling me the complaint number,
1-877-382-4357, and the complaint mechanism on donotcall.gov.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/2012 1:30 PM, Gary wrote:

Screen all calls. that's what I do.
Landline phone: answering machine is your friend
Cell phone: if they are not on my friend list, I don't answer.

For years before the Do Not Call registry I was in the habit of hanging
up if there was dead air because it usually meant a computer generated
call and an unwanted soliciting call. One time, tempted as I was, I
stayed on. It was my ISP offering me to free tickets to see Pygmallion
at the Shaw Theatre. I was skeptical but was assured there was no catch.
I took a day off work and caught a matinee performance at one of my
favourite theatre venues... for free.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/2012 1:44 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
Dave Smith wrote:

I was able to keep them on the line for up to
10 minutes, which I figure saves some other poor saps from being
hassled. I think they gave up on my number.

Have you asked to speak to their supervisor?
That might buy you a few more minutes.

Hey there's a thought. I could ask him or her where they are calling
from and see if the supervisor also says Chicago.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/2012 1:02 PM, MaryL wrote:

I registered on donotcall.gov. That greatly reduced the number of
"junk" calls but did not eliminate them. I also screen my calls and do
not answer unless I recognize the name or number. I never pick up and
dial "1" because that just shows it is an active number.

I have a small problem there. I have call display and some of them show
up as Long Distance, Problem is that we have a long distance plan
through Bell and I gave our son a card so he can call us on it.

Then there is the "private call" which usually isn't.