Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Do not call

Does anyone know if there is central agency where we can report
commercial cold calls? I am registered for do not call but I still get
them. The latest is from Disney World, which is hardly a charity or a
political party.
--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/2012 11:05 AM, James Silverton wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is central agency where we can report
> commercial cold calls? I am registered for do not call but I still get
> them. The latest is from Disney World, which is hardly a charity or a
> political party.

I have been registered with the Do Not Call registry since it first
started. I was getting an outrageous number of calls. Every once in a
while I started getting calls from people who introduces themselves
with a very Anglo name but who have strong sub continent accents. They
claim to be calling from my ISP and say they are getting a lot of virus
alerts from my computer. I have tried hanging up, calling them liars,
yelling and screaming at them. The calls kept coming. I decided to have
fun with them. I try to make conversation with them, play dumb, carry
on for as long as I can. I was able to keep them on the line for up to
10 minutes, which I figure saves some other poor saps from being
hassled. I think they gave up on my number.

In Canada, you can contact the CRTC to register complaints. I have done
it. I don't know if there were any charges laid in that case, but the
calls did stop.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is central agency where we can report
> commercial cold calls? I am registered for do not call but I still get
> them. The latest is from Disney World, which is hardly a charity or a
> political party.
> --
> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)
>
> Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

There is a "file a complaint" link right on the donotcall.gov home page.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-10-12, James Silverton > wrote:

> them. The latest is from Disney World, which is hardly a charity or a
> political party.

Live call or recording?

I get a lotta recordings, which I promptly hang up on. I heard the
govt was gonna outlaw all recording calls, but haven't seen it. I
don't think they do much against blind live calls, either. That govt
do-not-call thing was probably more to make the govt look good than to
actually do anything to stop the calls. I notice the govt passes a
lot of laws making things illegal, but provides no penalty for
disobeying said laws. IOW, toothless laws, which are useless.

nb

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2012-10-12, James Silverton > wrote:
>
>> them. The latest is from Disney World, which is hardly a charity or a
>> political party.

> Live call or recording?
>
> I get a lotta recordings, which I promptly hang up on. I heard the
> govt was gonna outlaw all recording calls, but haven't seen it. I
> don't think they do much against blind live calls, either. That govt
> do-not-call thing was probably more to make the govt look good than to
> actually do anything to stop the calls. I notice the govt passes a
> lot of laws making things illegal, but provides no penalty for
> disobeying said laws. IOW, toothless laws, which are useless.

with recordings, if I have time, I press 1 (usually that works) and then I
get connected to a live person, presumably because I am interested in their
crapola. I then either curse at them or politely quiz them on why they are
breaking the law, depending on my mood. I might go to the "waste as much of
their time as possible" angle, as I used to do that years ago. I suppose I
could also take info and sue them, but I am not sure that is as much fun.

I do have to wonder why the DNC list seems to have ceased being effective.
It seemed to work wonders when it was first implemented.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-10-12, James Silverton > wrote:

> them. The latest is from Disney World, which is hardly a charity or a
> political party.

Live call or recording?

I get a lotta recordings, which I promptly hang up on. I heard the
govt was gonna outlaw all recording calls, but haven't seen it. I
don't think they do much against blind live calls, either. That govt
do-not-call thing was probably more to make the govt look good than to
actually do anything to stop the calls. I notice the govt passes a
lot of laws making things illegal, but provides no penalty for
disobeying said laws. IOW, toothless laws, which are useless.

nb

~~~~~~~~~~
I registered on donotcall.gov. That greatly reduced the number of "junk"
calls but did not eliminate them. I also screen my calls and do not answer
unless I recognize the name or number. I never pick up and dial "1" because
that just shows it is an active number.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2012 11:05 AM, James Silverton wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is central agency where we can report
> commercial cold calls? I am registered for do not call but I still get
> them. The latest is from Disney World, which is hardly a charity or a
> political party.

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov
https://complaints.donotcall.gov

There's also a call center where you can talk with a live call center
rep. The FTC takes this seriously so file your complaints.

1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357)
http://www.ftc.gov/ftc/contact.shtm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is central agency where we can report
> commercial cold calls? I am registered for do not call but I still get
> them. The latest is from Disney World, which is hardly a charity or a
> political party.
> --
> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)
>
> Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Screen all calls. that's what I do.
Landline phone: answering machine is your friend
Cell phone: if they are not on my friend list, I don't answer.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 09:51:28 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:
snip

>I do have to wonder why the DNC list seems to have ceased being effective.
>It seemed to work wonders when it was first implemented.

The rule is that if you have ever had any legitimate dealings with
their company (or subs), they have a legal right to call you. If they
are a political affiliation or religious group they can call you. If
you ever respond to them, they can claim that you have done business
with them. If you respond or call the number they give you to
discontinue the calls, you have affirmed that the phone number is a
live and good one.

The most maddening one is 'Rachel'. She's a computer call and she
never gives up. She's the one who calls about better rates for your
credit cards. The proper response for a computer call is Just Hang Up.
For a live person you say "No, please don't call again, take my name
off of your list."

The folks claiming to be a tech from Microsoft is a brand new scam
that has caught so many people that the Feds have put out an alert
citizens. The people claiming to be from your phone company and
wanting to sign you up for something or check something will drive you
to curses and tears.

Basically, unless you have initiated something with a company, you
just have to hang up.

Thank you. It felt good to get that off my chest. I

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> I was able to keep them on the line for up to
> 10 minutes, which I figure saves some other poor saps from being
> hassled. I think they gave up on my number.

Have you asked to speak to their supervisor?
That might buy you a few more minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know if there is central agency where we can report commercial
> cold calls? I am registered for do not call but I still get them. The
> latest is from Disney World, which is hardly a charity or a political
> party.
> --
> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)
>
> Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

I don't really think there's much you can do about it. The Do Not Call is
mostly a joke, since they really don't follow up. I have a wonderful gadget
that I got many years ago from Radio Shack that rejects the numbers (up to
20) and cuts them off after a 1 1/2 rings so you don't have to wait for the
answering machine. They don't make them anymore, but I love it.

If I'm sitting close to the phone, I just pick it up and hang it up. I have
all the ringers turned off except one in the bedroom, so I'm not too
bothered. Since we used to have a home office for business, the calls are
pretty much neverending even though the office phone has been disconnected.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2012 3:08 PM, Andy wrote:
> James Silverton > wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know if there is central agency where we can
>> report commercial cold calls? I am registered for do not
>> call but I still get them. The latest is from Disney World,
>> which is hardly a charity or a political party.

> Gary,
>
> That reminds me of a saying but I don't remember who to
> credit...

Thanks everyone especially for telling me the complaint number,
1-877-382-4357, and the complaint mechanism on donotcall.gov.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/2012 1:30 PM, Gary wrote:

> Screen all calls. that's what I do.
> Landline phone: answering machine is your friend
> Cell phone: if they are not on my friend list, I don't answer.

For years before the Do Not Call registry I was in the habit of hanging
up if there was dead air because it usually meant a computer generated
call and an unwanted soliciting call. One time, tempted as I was, I
stayed on. It was my ISP offering me to free tickets to see Pygmallion
at the Shaw Theatre. I was skeptical but was assured there was no catch.
I took a day off work and caught a matinee performance at one of my
favourite theatre venues... for free.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/2012 1:44 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> I was able to keep them on the line for up to
>> 10 minutes, which I figure saves some other poor saps from being
>> hassled. I think they gave up on my number.

> Have you asked to speak to their supervisor?
> That might buy you a few more minutes.

Hey there's a thought. I could ask him or her where they are calling
from and see if the supervisor also says Chicago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/2012 1:02 PM, MaryL wrote:

> I registered on donotcall.gov. That greatly reduced the number of
> "junk" calls but did not eliminate them. I also screen my calls and do
> not answer unless I recognize the name or number. I never pick up and
> dial "1" because that just shows it is an active number.

I have a small problem there. I have call display and some of them show
up as Long Distance, Problem is that we have a long distance plan
through Bell and I gave our son a card so he can call us on it.

Then there is the "private call" which usually isn't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2012 1:30 PM, Gary wrote:

> James Silverton wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know if there is central agency where we can report
>> commercial cold calls? I am registered for do not call but I still get
>> them. The latest is from Disney World, which is hardly a charity or a
>> political party.
>> --
>> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)
>>
>> Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

> Screen all calls. that's what I do.
> Landline phone: answering machine is your friend
> Cell phone: if they are not on my friend list, I don't answer.

That's always an option but if people don't file complaints, the FTC
can't take action. Agree on the cell phone, though, don't answer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 09:51:28 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> > wrote:
> snip
> >
> >I do have to wonder why the DNC list seems to have ceased being effective.
> >It seemed to work wonders when it was first implemented.
> >

> The rule is that if you have ever had any legitimate dealings with
> their company (or subs), they have a legal right to call you. If they
> are a political affiliation or religious group they can call you. If
> you ever respond to them, they can claim that you have done business
> with them. If you respond or call the number they give you to
> discontinue the calls, you have affirmed that the phone number is a
> live and good one.
>
> The most maddening one is 'Rachel'. She's a computer call and she
> never gives up. She's the one who calls about better rates for your
> credit cards. The proper response for a computer call is Just Hang Up.
> For a live person you say "No, please don't call again, take my name
> off of your list."
>
> The folks claiming to be a tech from Microsoft is a brand new scam
> that has caught so many people that the Feds have put out an alert
> citizens. The people claiming to be from your phone company and
> wanting to sign you up for something or check something will drive you
> to curses and tears.
>
> Basically, unless you have initiated something with a company, you
> just have to hang up.
>
> Thank you. It felt good to get that off my chest. I
>
> Janet US

Much easier to not answer to begin with. If it's important they'll leave
a message. Nothing is so important it can't wait a few minutes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

MotoFox wrote:

> I still occasionally get solicitation calls from companies overseas
> claiming to be my ISP (I'm on CenturyQworst) saying they're receiving
> "virus reports" from my Windows machine. When I do pick up, I just laugh
> at them out loud, since both boxes connected to my ADSL box are either
> Linux or BSD (why in God's name would I dare put a Winblow$ box on the
> network? I do know better!) and they couldn't be getting any information
> from my machines since both are firewalled. Damned fools.

Funny, I have a W2K box that has been on the net 24x365 for 8 years
without a single issue. The reality is that the OS is only as vulnerable
as the administrator and if you don't have idiots visiting all manner of
pirate and social networking sites Windoze rarely has issues.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 11:33:20 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 09:51:28 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> > wrote:
> snip
> >
> >I do have to wonder why the DNC list seems to have ceased being effective.
> >It seemed to work wonders when it was first implemented.
> >

> The rule is that if you have ever had any legitimate dealings with
> their company (or subs), they have a legal right to call you. If they
> are a political affiliation or religious group they can call you. If
> you ever respond to them, they can claim that you have done business
> with them. If you respond or call the number they give you to
> discontinue the calls, you have affirmed that the phone number is a
> live and good one.
>
> The most maddening one is 'Rachel'. She's a computer call and she
> never gives up. She's the one who calls about better rates for your
> credit cards. The proper response for a computer call is Just Hang Up.
> For a live person you say "No, please don't call again, take my name
> off of your list."
>
> The folks claiming to be a tech from Microsoft is a brand new scam
> that has caught so many people that the Feds have put out an alert
> citizens. The people claiming to be from your phone company and
> wanting to sign you up for something or check something will drive you
> to curses and tears.
>
> Basically, unless you have initiated something with a company, you
> just have to hang up.
>
> Thank you. It felt good to get that off my chest. I
>
> Janet US

Thank you, Janet. It's amazing how many here are under-informed or
not informed at all... they have no excuse now.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 18:49:17 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> Then there is the "private call" which usually isn't.

Why are people so compelled to answer the phone, even when they have
caller ID that doesn't give one? Those are the calls you don't ever
answer. Otherwise you might as well not pay for caller ID. It's a
waste of money when you're answering every call anyway.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 13:28:11 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

> On 10/12/2012 11:05 AM, James Silverton wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know if there is central agency where we can report
> > commercial cold calls? I am registered for do not call but I still get
> > them. The latest is from Disney World, which is hardly a charity or a
> > political party.

> https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov
> https://complaints.donotcall.gov
>
> There's also a call center where you can talk with a live call center
> rep. The FTC takes this seriously so file your complaints.
>
> 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357)
> http://www.ftc.gov/ftc/contact.shtm

I've always found that politely asking them to take me off their call
list works. I bet it wouldn't have worked as well if I acted like the
jackass some people here have claimed to be.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 13:30:37 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> James Silverton wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know if there is central agency where we can report
> > commercial cold calls? I am registered for do not call but I still get
> > them. The latest is from Disney World, which is hardly a charity or a
> > political party.
> > --
> > Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)
> >
> > Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

> Screen all calls. that's what I do.
> Landline phone: answering machine is your friend
> Cell phone: if they are not on my friend list, I don't answer.

Some people are bullies at heart and take every opportunity to be one
to strangers. One of my friends was a telephone operator while she
was going through college and once had to deal with her own father on
the line. He didn't recognize her voice although she recognized
his... she said he was swearing and bullying, being a real a**h**e.
What a jerk.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2012 7:14 PM, Pete C. wrote:

> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 09:51:28 -0700, "Pico Rico"
>> > wrote:
>> snip
>>>
>>> I do have to wonder why the DNC list seems to have ceased being effective.
>>> It seemed to work wonders when it was first implemented.

I wonder too.

>> The rule is that if you have ever had any legitimate dealings with
>> their company (or subs), they have a legal right to call you. If they
>> are a political affiliation or religious group they can call you. If
>> you ever respond to them, they can claim that you have done business
>> with them. If you respond or call the number they give you to
>> discontinue the calls, you have affirmed that the phone number is a
>> live and good one.

You can still tell those who you've done business with, charities, etc,
to take you off of their lists. Politicians, no idea. Nothing works
with them and most of them are recordings, too.

>> The most maddening one is 'Rachel'. She's a computer call and she
>> never gives up. She's the one who calls about better rates for your
>> credit cards. The proper response for a computer call is Just Hang Up.
>> For a live person you say "No, please don't call again, take my name
>> off of your list."

The frustrating thing about "Rachel" is that if you select the option on
your phone to talk to a rep, as soon as you say to stop calling, they
hang up. The numeric option to take you off their list does the same
thing. I have just listed all of the recent calls from Credit Card
Services in the last couple of weeks and am going to file complaints. I
work for the contractor and directly deal with the FTC on the DNC
registration database so sometimes I answer just to tell these
telemarketers just that, and can never get a live person on the phone.
They're really getting out of control lately!

>> The folks claiming to be a tech from Microsoft is a brand new scam
>> that has caught so many people that the Feds have put out an alert
>> citizens. The people claiming to be from your phone company and
>> wanting to sign you up for something or check something will drive you
>> to curses and tears.

I haven't heard about that one. Will have to do some checking.

>> Basically, unless you have initiated something with a company, you
>> just have to hang up.
>>
>> Thank you. It felt good to get that off my chest. I
>>
>> Janet US

> Much easier to not answer to begin with. If it's important they'll leave
> a message. Nothing is so important it can't wait a few minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" wrote in message ...

On 12/10/2012 1:02 PM, MaryL wrote:

> I registered on donotcall.gov. That greatly reduced the number of
> "junk" calls but did not eliminate them. I also screen my calls and do
> not answer unless I recognize the name or number. I never pick up and
> dial "1" because that just shows it is an active number.

I have a small problem there. I have call display and some of them show
up as Long Distance, Problem is that we have a long distance plan
through Bell and I gave our son a card so he can call us on it.

Then there is the "private call" which usually isn't.

~~~~~~~~~~
I have an answering machine, so I always assume that anyone who really wants
to speak to me will leave a message. If it is someone I know (but whose
name did not show up on caller ID), I can immediately pick up the phone.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/2012 9:14 PM, MaryL wrote:

> I have an answering machine, so I always assume that anyone who really
> wants to speak to me will leave a message. If it is someone I know (but
> whose name did not show up on caller ID), I can immediately pick up the
> phone.

I have call display and call answer. Every once in a while I return home
and see that my brother has called three or four times.... but no message.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2012 8:55 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 13:28:11 -0400, Cheryl >
> wrote:
>
>> On 10/12/2012 11:05 AM, James Silverton wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know if there is central agency where we can report
>>> commercial cold calls? I am registered for do not call but I still get
>>> them. The latest is from Disney World, which is hardly a charity or a
>>> political party.

>> https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov
>> https://complaints.donotcall.gov
>>
>> There's also a call center where you can talk with a live call center
>> rep. The FTC takes this seriously so file your complaints.
>>
>> 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357)
>> http://www.ftc.gov/ftc/contact.shtm

> I've always found that politely asking them to take me off their call
> list works. I bet it wouldn't have worked as well if I acted like the
> jackass some people here have claimed to be.

With some of them lately it doesn't work at all, and some don't even
give you the option. Those are the law breakers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/2012 8:55 PM, sf wrote:

> I've always found that politely asking them to take me off their call
> list works. I bet it wouldn't have worked as well if I acted like the
> jackass some people here have claimed to be.

I have found that some of the callers will stop if you ask them to take
you off their list. Others say they will take you off, but theey keep
calling. Then there are those that give you the option to press a button
to be taken off their list and those guys usually keep calling.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 21:56:14 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 12/10/2012 8:55 PM, sf wrote:
>

> > I've always found that politely asking them to take me off their call
> > list works. I bet it wouldn't have worked as well if I acted like the
> > jackass some people here have claimed to be.
> >

> I have found that some of the callers will stop if you ask them to take
> you off their list. Others say they will take you off, but theey keep
> calling.

It's not instant, you have to give them a few months - or at least
that's the way it used to be.

> Then there are those that give you the option to press a button
> to be taken off their list and those guys usually keep calling.

Too bad they've gotten so aggressive. I haven't had a landline in
years and I am careful about who has my cellphone number, so I don't
get annoying calls from strangers anymore.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 11:33:20 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>The most maddening one is 'Rachel'. She's a computer call and she
>never gives up. She's the one who calls about better rates for your
>credit cards. The proper response for a computer call is Just Hang Up.
>For a live person you say "No, please don't call again, take my name
>off of your list."

I've played with the CC callers a couple of times. They start asking
me about what cards I have and I give them tens of thousands of
dollars of debt at 29.9% interest rates and income of $12,000. They
just keep taking the information.

Or the extended car warranty I told them I just bought a '91 Buick for
$3500 and think the warranty may be a good idea for it. I could hear
the guy choke back the laughter but he kept trying to make the sale.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 17:53:15 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 18:49:17 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>> Then there is the "private call" which usually isn't.

>Why are people so compelled to answer the phone, even when they have
>caller ID that doesn't give one? Those are the calls you don't ever
>answer. Otherwise you might as well not pay for caller ID. It's a
>waste of money when you're answering every call anyway.

It depends. We've received calls from IDs that we did not recognize
and they were from a doctor or medical office that we needed to hear
from.

Same with junk mail. When I approached 65, every insurance company in
North America was sending me information about Medicare. I tossed
most, but Met Life sent me another letter. Turns out, it was money
from a pension for a company (long out of business) that I worked for
in the 1960s. Caaaaaching!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote:
> MotoFox wrote:
>>
>> I still occasionally get solicitation calls from companies overseas
>> claiming to be my ISP (I'm on CenturyQworst) saying they're receiving
>> "virus reports" from my Windows machine. When I do pick up, I just laugh
>> at them out loud, since both boxes connected to my ADSL box are either
>> Linux or BSD (why in God's name would I dare put a Winblow$ box on the
>> network? I do know better!) and they couldn't be getting any information
>> from my machines since both are firewalled. Damned fools.

> Funny, I have a W2K box that has been on the net 24x365 for 8 years
> without a single issue. The reality is that the OS is only as vulnerable
> as the administrator and if you don't have idiots visiting all manner of
> pirate and social networking sites Windoze rarely has issues.

I recall there was a big mess 8 years ago at work on 2k. It came the wrong
time as my boss was on my case.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The 'better interest rate' calls here have been just waaay too much. We get
calls from family and friends whose caller id really don't identify and
don't want to miss an important call. Such as - the heart center called to
reschedule an important and caller id didn't help at all.
I've tried reporting and assorted other responses. Now. I have the
time and the anger. What have you done that will cause the caller the most
annoyance? I need revenge. Do I lead them on with questions and vague
answers? Punching 1 and putting the phone aside is a bit of fun - it
probably ties up their progress for a couple of minutes. I would like to be
a real nuisance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know if there is central agency where we can report commercial
> cold calls? I am registered for do not call but I still get them. The
> latest is from Disney World, which is hardly a charity or a political
> party.
> --
> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)
>
> Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Yes. I just looked this up. File the complaint he

https://www.donotcall.gov/

But first! Think about it. Did you perhaps enter a contest or something
like that where they would have gotten your number?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 12/10/2012 11:05 AM, James Silverton wrote:
>> Does anyone know if there is central agency where we can report
>> commercial cold calls? I am registered for do not call but I still get
>> them. The latest is from Disney World, which is hardly a charity or a
>> political party.

> I have been registered with the Do Not Call registry since it first
> started. I was getting an outrageous number of calls. Every once in a
> while I started getting calls from people who introduces themselves with
> a very Anglo name but who have strong sub continent accents. They claim
> to be calling from my ISP and say they are getting a lot of virus alerts
> from my computer. I have tried hanging up, calling them liars, yelling
> and screaming at them. The calls kept coming. I decided to have fun with
> them. I try to make conversation with them, play dumb, carry on for as
> long as I can. I was able to keep them on the line for up to 10 minutes,
> which I figure saves some other poor saps from being hassled. I think they
> gave up on my number.
>

> In Canada, you can contact the CRTC to register complaints. I have done
> it. I don't know if there were any charges laid in that case, but the
> calls did stop.

I have gotten that same damned call. This is Mumbai calling from Microsoft
Windows! The guy sounds like he is calling from India but it's a Texas
phone number. I reported him to the FTC and told him as such but the ass
called back FOUR more times! I was like... Uh... You know that I LIVE in
the area where Microsoft is? And you KNOW that I KNOW people who work
there! Microsoft doesn't DO that! He still persisted. Gah!

The latest ones are calls for my husband who no longer lives here. They are
bogus sounding charities.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 12/10/2012 1:44 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> I was able to keep them on the line for up to
>>> 10 minutes, which I figure saves some other poor saps from being
>>> hassled. I think they gave up on my number.

>> Have you asked to speak to their supervisor?
>> That might buy you a few more minutes.
>>

> Hey there's a thought. I could ask him or her where they are calling from
> and see if the supervisor also says Chicago.

The first time, I kept the guy on the line for about a half an hour.
Pretended to be stupid. What? I don't understand what you are saying.
Press the "shift" key? I don't think I have one of those. Where? Under
what key? I don't think I have that either. I finally tired of that game
and began yelling at him.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2012-10-12, James Silverton > wrote:
>
>> them. The latest is from Disney World, which is hardly a charity or a
>> political party.

> Live call or recording?
>
> I get a lotta recordings, which I promptly hang up on. I heard the
> govt was gonna outlaw all recording calls, but haven't seen it. I
> don't think they do much against blind live calls, either. That govt
> do-not-call thing was probably more to make the govt look good than to
> actually do anything to stop the calls. I notice the govt passes a
> lot of laws making things illegal, but provides no penalty for
> disobeying said laws. IOW, toothless laws, which are useless.
>
> nb

I just read that something like two weeks ago they managed to stop "Rachel"
the robocaller who cheerily calls you about credit cards. Most of my
unwanted calls are now the robo ones.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/13/2012 1:56 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "notbob" > wrote in message
>> On 2012-10-12, James Silverton > wrote:
>>
>>> them. The latest is from Disney World, which is hardly a charity or a
>>> political party.

>> Live call or recording?
>>
>> I get a lotta recordings, which I promptly hang up on. I heard the
>> govt was gonna outlaw all recording calls, but haven't seen it. I
>> don't think they do much against blind live calls, either. That govt
>> do-not-call thing was probably more to make the govt look good than to
>> actually do anything to stop the calls. I notice the govt passes a
>> lot of laws making things illegal, but provides no penalty for
>> disobeying said laws. IOW, toothless laws, which are useless.
>>
>> nb

> I just read that something like two weeks ago they managed to stop "Rachel"
> the robocaller who cheerily calls you about credit cards. Most of my
> unwanted calls are now the robo ones.

Rachel isn't stopped yet. I've had robocalls from her many times in the
last week.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On 10/13/2012 1:56 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Live call or recording?
>>>
>>> I get a lotta recordings, which I promptly hang up on. I heard the
>>> govt was gonna outlaw all recording calls, but haven't seen it. I
>>> don't think they do much against blind live calls, either. That govt
>>> do-not-call thing was probably more to make the govt look good than to
>>> actually do anything to stop the calls. I notice the govt passes a
>>> lot of laws making things illegal, but provides no penalty for
>>> disobeying said laws. IOW, toothless laws, which are useless.
>>>
>>> nb

>> I just read that something like two weeks ago they managed to stop
>> "Rachel"
>> the robocaller who cheerily calls you about credit cards. Most of my
>> unwanted calls are now the robo ones.
>>

> Rachel isn't stopped yet. I've had robocalls from her many times in the
> last week.

Hmmm... Let me see if I can find the link. Well of course now I can not.
I did find some others that say the FTC has shut her down many times but she
still keeps going.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/13/2012 2:39 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote in message

>>> I just read that something like two weeks ago they managed to stop
>>> "Rachel"
>>> the robocaller who cheerily calls you about credit cards. Most of my
>>> unwanted calls are now the robo ones.
>>>

>> Rachel isn't stopped yet. I've had robocalls from her many times in the
>> last week.

> Hmmm... Let me see if I can find the link. Well of course now I can not.
> I did find some others that say the FTC has shut her down many times but she
> still keeps going.

She's not a "she". She's a recording. "She" sometimes goes by other
names. And I have several phone numbers "she" calls from, sometimes a
couple of times a day. Trust me, Julie, I know about the DNC stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 22:50:52 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> The latest ones are calls for my husband who no longer lives here. They are
>> bogus sounding charities.

> I didn't think he'd be able to retire and stick around the house very
> long. You probably drive him nuts. Is it for good this time? We
> need to know this since you keep reminiscing about times when your
> husband has lived there and when he hasn't. It's hard to keep track
> anymore.

Actually we need to know this because Andy is lonely & horny.