Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Do not call

On 12/10/2012 11:05 AM, James Silverton wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is central agency where we can report
> commercial cold calls? I am registered for do not call but I still get
> them. The latest is from Disney World, which is hardly a charity or a
> political party.

I have been registered with the Do Not Call registry since it first
started. I was getting an outrageous number of calls. Every once in a
while I started getting calls from people who introduces themselves
with a very Anglo name but who have strong sub continent accents. They
claim to be calling from my ISP and say they are getting a lot of virus
alerts from my computer. I have tried hanging up, calling them liars,
yelling and screaming at them. The calls kept coming. I decided to have
fun with them. I try to make conversation with them, play dumb, carry
on for as long as I can. I was able to keep them on the line for up to
10 minutes, which I figure saves some other poor saps from being
hassled. I think they gave up on my number.

In Canada, you can contact the CRTC to register complaints. I have done
it. I don't know if there were any charges laid in that case, but the
calls did stop.