Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Do not call

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 22:50:52 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> The latest ones are calls for my husband who no longer lives here. They
>> are
>> bogus sounding charities.

> I didn't think he'd be able to retire and stick around the house very
> long. You probably drive him nuts. Is it for good this time? We
> need to know this since you keep reminiscing about times when your
> husband has lived there and when he hasn't. It's hard to keep track
> anymore.

The job situation here is pathetic. He did get a job but the pay was so low
it wasn't even worth his while. He is working for the Coast Guard where he
used to work and doing what he used to do but as a civilian. He wanted to
do that here, but there were no openings. Purportedly this job will be
going all civilian in 2013 so he may be able to come back here then. At
least he is living close enough to his relatives that he can go visit them
on his days off.

This situation is less than ideal because he is having to pay rent there.
But there is no way we could have made our house payment and kept up with
the rest of the bills had he not done this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 22:50:52 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> The latest ones are calls for my husband who no longer lives here. They
>>> are
>>> bogus sounding charities.

>> I didn't think he'd be able to retire and stick around the house very
>> long. You probably drive him nuts. Is it for good this time? We
>> need to know this since you keep reminiscing about times when your
>> husband has lived there and when he hasn't. It's hard to keep track
>> anymore.

> Actually we need to know this because Andy is lonely & horny.

He is actually living near Andy but I am not sure they would get along. Oh
wait! Maybe you didn't mean... Well, I'm not really sure what you meant.
Is it time for breakfast yet?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On 10/13/2012 2:39 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Rachel isn't stopped yet. I've had robocalls from her many times in the
>>> last week.

>> Hmmm... Let me see if I can find the link. Well of course now I can
>> not.
>> I did find some others that say the FTC has shut her down many times but
>> she
>> still keeps going.
>>

> She's not a "she". She's a recording. "She" sometimes goes by other
> names. And I have several phone numbers "she" calls from, sometimes a
> couple of times a day. Trust me, Julie, I know about the DNC stuff.

Yes, I know that. I have probably gotten calls from every name that there
is. Thankfully not recently. Now the robocalls I am getting are about
mortgages. Or something for seniors.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> > Sqwertz wrote:

> >> I didn't think he'd be able to retire and stick around the house very
> >> long. You probably drive him nuts. Is it for good this time? We
> >> need to know this since you keep reminiscing about times when your
> >> husband has lived there and when he hasn't. It's hard to keep track
> >> anymore.

> > Actually we need to know this because Andy is lonely & horny.

> He is actually living near Andy but I am not sure they would get along. Oh
> wait! Maybe you didn't mean... Well, I'm not really sure what you meant.
> Is it time for breakfast yet?

LOL. Andy should be posting a breakfast report any time now.

Meanwhile, time for me to take a shower and get to the grocery store for my
traditional weekly 6am grocery shopping trip.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> The job situation here is pathetic. He did get a job but the pay was so low
> it wasn't even worth his while. He is working for the Coast Guard where he
> used to work and doing what he used to do but as a civilian. He wanted to
> do that here, but there were no openings. Purportedly this job will be
> going all civilian in 2013 so he may be able to come back here then. At
> least he is living close enough to his relatives that he can go visit them
> on his days off.
>
> This situation is less than ideal because he is having to pay rent there.
> But there is no way we could have made our house payment and kept up with
> the rest of the bills had he not done this.

An interesting situation, to say the least but whatever works for y'all (a
little southern lingo there). Any thought of selling your house and moving
east with him? Or are you holding onto house in hopes he will be able to
come back and find work next year?

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:

>> > Actually we need to know this because Andy is lonely & horny.

>> He is actually living near Andy but I am not sure they would get along.
>> Oh
>> wait! Maybe you didn't mean... Well, I'm not really sure what you
>> meant.
>> Is it time for breakfast yet?

> LOL. Andy should be posting a breakfast report any time now.
>
> Meanwhile, time for me to take a shower and get to the grocery store for
> my
> traditional weekly 6am grocery shopping trip.

We bought turkey patties, sweet potato fries, sliced apples and bread from
Costco. Lettuce, tomato and onion from Target. Also four cans of cream of
cack soup, but daughter likes it in casseroles and it was on sale. Tomorrow
to Winco but only for a few things. We are still working on eating what is
in the pantry, but mainly what is left is stuff that I will eat. I need to
do something with beans again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
> > Julie Bove wrote:

> >> He is actually living near Andy but I am not sure they would get along.
> >> Oh
> >> wait! Maybe you didn't mean... Well, I'm not really sure what you
> >> meant.
> >> Is it time for breakfast yet?

> > LOL. Andy should be posting a breakfast report any time now.
> >
> > Meanwhile, time for me to take a shower and get to the grocery store for
> > my
> > traditional weekly 6am grocery shopping trip.

> We bought turkey patties, sweet potato fries, sliced apples and bread from
> Costco. Lettuce, tomato and onion from Target. Also four cans of cream of
> cack soup, but daughter likes it in casseroles and it was on sale. Tomorrow
> to Winco but only for a few things. We are still working on eating what is
> in the pantry, but mainly what is left is stuff that I will eat. I need to
> do something with beans again.

Do you like bean burritos? I have a good recipe for that if you like black
beans, refried beans, salsa and flour tortillas.

BTW, what is cream of cack soup? Was that a typo?

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> The job situation here is pathetic. He did get a job but the pay was so
>> low
>> it wasn't even worth his while. He is working for the Coast Guard where
>> he
>> used to work and doing what he used to do but as a civilian. He wanted
>> do that here, but there were no openings. Purportedly this job will be
>> going all civilian in 2013 so he may be able to come back here then. At
>> least he is living close enough to his relatives that he can go visit
>> them
>> on his days off.
>>
>> This situation is less than ideal because he is having to pay rent there.
>> But there is no way we could have made our house payment and kept up with
>> the rest of the bills had he not done this.

> An interesting situation, to say the least but whatever works for y'all (a
> little southern lingo there). Any thought of selling your house and
> moving
> east with him? Or are you holding onto house in hopes he will be able to
> come back and find work next year?

No, the house will not sell. For the most part, houses are just not selling
here. This house is atypical due to a weird remodel and it needs repairs.
So we could not sell or rent. Not that renting would be an option. I only
agreed to buy this house because he said he would retire here. I really did
not want to buy a house and the reasons why are now playing out just like I
knew they would. As in, we can't afford the repairs.

We also need to stay here for a variety of reasons, the biggest of which are
my elderly parents. We moved to the East coast before to help take care of
his mom. She is now in a nursing home and getting good care. We lived in
NY before and hated it. I do not want to put my daughter back in that
school system. She is doing very well in school here this year and she goes
to what I believe is one of the best dance studios in the country. I do not
want to have to take her out of either one of those either.

We are considering this move to be a temporary thing. And hopefully it will
be.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:

>> > LOL. Andy should be posting a breakfast report any time now.
>> >
>> > Meanwhile, time for me to take a shower and get to the grocery store
>> > for
>> > my
>> > traditional weekly 6am grocery shopping trip.

>> We bought turkey patties, sweet potato fries, sliced apples and bread
>> from
>> Costco. Lettuce, tomato and onion from Target. Also four cans of cream
>> of
>> cack soup, but daughter likes it in casseroles and it was on sale.
>> Tomorrow
>> to Winco but only for a few things. We are still working on eating what
>> is
>> in the pantry, but mainly what is left is stuff that I will eat. I need
>> do something with beans again.

> Do you like bean burritos? I have a good recipe for that if you like
> black
> beans, refried beans, salsa and flour tortillas.

They are my favorite food but sadly due to diabetes, not something I can eat
any more unless they are very small.

> BTW, what is cream of cack soup? Was that a typo?

I actually got that term from someone else. It is Campbell's or any other
type of condensed cream of ______ soup. I did grow up eating the stuff in
casseroles but it was pretty much just the mushroom in a tuna casserole and
celery in the Tater Tot one.

I had a small box of cream of chicken that was about to go bad. I think it
was the Pacific brand. I mixed it with some cooked whole wheat pasta, a can
of peas and a large can of chicken. My daughter ate that for three days in
a row and said it was her new favorite food. So I decided to get some more.
She also loves tuna casserole.

Since we are working on using up some of the pantry items, I decided I had
better get some more soup. The only one I had was the golden mushroom.
Both daughter and husband liked the chicken breasts that I made with that.

This is not exactly my preferred method of cooking things. I know some
people are all about making simple things and while these sorts of things
are simply and easy and quick to make, they are not exactly what I would
call cooking. I really prefer to do more complicated recipes. But... Hey.
Gotta fix what they will eat.

Another one of my favorite foods was hominy croquettes. They were somewhat
time consuming. I haven't made them for years because only I liked them.
It was cooked grits with cheese added. There may have been egg added in.
Then dipped in egg and bread crumbs. These were then formed into flattened
balls and baked in a red sauce, of course made from scratch. Topped with
parmesan. These were one of the few things I would make a lot of at one
time because they were time consuming. I would freeze them for later.

Also had a hominy crockpot dish that was actually quite easy but again, only
I liked it. Had bacon and cheese in it.

I guess maybe you have to have lived in the Midwest to appreciate hominy.
It's a tad hard to find here and when you do it is just one kind and either
a large or jumbo sized can.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 17:53:15 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 18:49:17 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>> Then there is the "private call" which usually isn't.

>Why are people so compelled to answer the phone, even when they have
>caller ID that doesn't give one? Those are the calls you don't ever
>answer. Otherwise you might as well not pay for caller ID. It's a
>waste of money when you're answering every call anyway.

I'm with you on everything but paying for caller ID-- I pay $50/mo
for my landline, with an assortment of goodies including caller ID.

I answer when my parents, wife, or one of the kids calls. all
others can leave a message.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 17:53:15 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 18:49:17 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Then there is the "private call" which usually isn't.

> >Why are people so compelled to answer the phone, even when they have
> >caller ID that doesn't give one? Those are the calls you don't ever
> >answer. Otherwise you might as well not pay for caller ID. It's a
> >waste of money when you're answering every call anyway.

> I'm with you on everything but paying for caller ID-- I pay $50/mo
> for my landline, with an assortment of goodies including caller ID.
>
> I answer when my parents, wife, or one of the kids calls. all
> others can leave a message.
>
> Jim

I pay about $28 a month for my landline but no extras like caller ID, etc.
Anyone that knows me knows to leave a message on the answering machine. If
I happen to be listening (and that's rare now), I'll pick up. If not, I'll
call back soon.

I keep it for a couple of reasons.
1) still using dial-up internet
2) all my old customers know that number only so good for work calls

The cell phone is nice that it automatically has caller id but, again, if
someone is not on my friend list, leave a message on voicemail. I've had
this cell phone for about 3.5 years now. For a long time, I would get many
wrong number calls. Not very many anymore, thankfully.

The cell phone is a great deal too....it's a company phone and the company
pays the monthly bills. I use it to call my Mom once a week long distance
because I always have tons of extra minutes each month. It's a cheap but
handy job perk.

I also drive a company van. That's a MUCH better job benefit. I sold my
vehicle years ago and only drive the company van now. For me....no bills
for gas, repairs, insurance, or anything else. Plus I'm allowed to drive it
personally whenever I want to. I don't take advantage of that though, I
drive minimal personal use.

The van use is the main reason I even stay with this half-ass company.
heheh

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" wrote in message ...

On 12/10/2012 9:14 PM, MaryL wrote:

> I have an answering machine, so I always assume that anyone who really
> wants to speak to me will leave a message. If it is someone I know (but
> whose name did not show up on caller ID), I can immediately pick up the
> phone.

I have call display and call answer. Every once in a while I return home
and see that my brother has called three or four times.... but no message.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes, I have had that same thing happen. But *most* people I know will show
up on the display. There are a few that just show "out of area" or
something similar, but those are usually telemarketers. I don't always
leave a message when I call someone--but I find that if I pick up on an
"unknown" number where the person did not start speaking to the answer
machine, I invariably get a sales pitch and not a relative or long lost
friend.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 05:51:52 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> BTW, what is cream of cack soup? Was that a typo?

Had to be, but I got a laugh anyway because I misread it as "cream of
crack". Highfalutin stuff!

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 05:13:40 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > The job situation here is pathetic. He did get a job but the pay was so low
> > it wasn't even worth his while. He is working for the Coast Guard where he
> > used to work and doing what he used to do but as a civilian. He wanted to
> > do that here, but there were no openings. Purportedly this job will be
> > going all civilian in 2013 so he may be able to come back here then. At
> > least he is living close enough to his relatives that he can go visit them
> > on his days off.
> >
> > This situation is less than ideal because he is having to pay rent there.
> > But there is no way we could have made our house payment and kept up with
> > the rest of the bills had he not done this.

> An interesting situation, to say the least but whatever works for y'all (a
> little southern lingo there). Any thought of selling your house and moving
> east with him? Or are you holding onto house in hopes he will be able to
> come back and find work next year?

She has built a life there and is used to her husband being gone for
long stretches of time, so there's no reason to move in this day and
age of the internet and video chat.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 07:09:21 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 17:53:15 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 18:49:17 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Then there is the "private call" which usually isn't.

> >Why are people so compelled to answer the phone, even when they have
> >caller ID that doesn't give one? Those are the calls you don't ever
> >answer. Otherwise you might as well not pay for caller ID. It's a
> >waste of money when you're answering every call anyway.

> I'm with you on everything but paying for caller ID-- I pay $50/mo
> for my landline, with an assortment of goodies including caller ID.

I hate to tell you this, but when it's bundled... you're still paying
for it.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 22:36:01 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
> > Does anyone know if there is central agency where we can report commercial
> > cold calls? I am registered for do not call but I still get them. The
> > latest is from Disney World, which is hardly a charity or a political
> > party.
> > --
> > Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)
> >
> > Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

> Yes. I just looked this up. File the complaint he
>
> https://www.donotcall.gov/
>
> But first! Think about it. Did you perhaps enter a contest or something
> like that where they would have gotten your number?

I liked having a landline because it was my "throw away" telephone
number that I put down for those sorts of things. It had caller ID,
an answering machine that was set at something like no more than 3
rings and the sound was turned way down, not off - but it only rang in
one far away room although I had extensions all over the house. After
we switched to cell phones only, I rarely give my number to any
business and don't do those silly contests although I probably should
because I have pretty good luck. I won a Caribbean vacation once and
it really was free - no hidden fees whatsoever. I took care of the
liquor and tips. That was it.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 13, 12:54*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> >> Have you asked to speak to their supervisor?
> >> That might buy you a few more minutes.

> > Hey there's a thought. *I could ask him or her where they are calling from
> > and see if the supervisor also says Chicago.

> The first time, I kept the guy on the line for about a half an hour.
> Pretended to be stupid. *What? *I don't understand what you are saying.
> Press the "shift" key? *I don't think I have one of those. *Where? *Under
> what key? *I don't think I have that either. *I finally tired of that game
> and began yelling at him.

Wasting their time can be fun, but I usually yell at about the C
that's an octave above middle C.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2012 11:05 AM, James Silverton wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is central agency where we can report
> commercial cold calls? I am registered for do not call but I still get
> them. The latest is from Disney World, which is hardly a charity or a
> political party.

No defense of Disney world but it is pretty likely it is some scammer
using the words "disney world" as a hook.

Problem is the do not call law can't do anything about scammers from out
of the country. They use VoIP and can call from anywhere.

And the main reason it will never go away is the same reason email SPAM
continues. There will be a certain percentage of people who don't
question anything and will respond to anything.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2012 1:33 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 09:51:28 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> > wrote:
> snip
>>
>> I do have to wonder why the DNC list seems to have ceased being effective.
>> It seemed to work wonders when it was first implemented.
>>

> The rule is that if you have ever had any legitimate dealings with
> their company (or subs), they have a legal right to call you. If they

But that is specifically qualified. You can explicitly request they only
call for matters relating to the actual business relationship.

> are a political affiliation or religious group they can call you. If
> you ever respond to them, they can claim that you have done business
> with them. If you respond or call the number they give you to
> discontinue the calls, you have affirmed that the phone number is a
> live and good one.
>
> The most maddening one is 'Rachel'. She's a computer call and she
> never gives up. She's the one who calls about better rates for your
> credit cards. The proper response for a computer call is Just Hang Up.
> For a live person you say "No, please don't call again, take my name
> off of your list."
>
> The folks claiming to be a tech from Microsoft is a brand new scam
> that has caught so many people that the Feds have put out an alert
> citizens. The people claiming to be from your phone company and
> wanting to sign you up for something or check something will drive you
> to curses and tears.
>
> Basically, unless you have initiated something with a company, you
> just have to hang up.
>
> Thank you. It felt good to get that off my chest. I
>
> Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2012 9:12 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 10/12/2012 7:14 PM, Pete C. wrote:
>>
>> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>>
>>> On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 09:51:28 -0700, "Pico Rico"
>>> snip

> I wonder too.

US laws do not apply outside of the US. You are a scammer and set up
shop say in Mumbai and it costs you next to nothing to use VoIP for calling.

>>> The rule is that if you have ever had any legitimate dealings with
>>> their company (or subs), they have a legal right to call you. If they
>>> are a political affiliation or religious group they can call you. If
>>> you ever respond to them, they can claim that you have done business
>>> with them. If you respond or call the number they give you to
>>> discontinue the calls, you have affirmed that the phone number is a
>>> live and good one.

> You can still tell those who you've done business with, charities, etc,
> to take you off of their lists. Politicians, no idea. Nothing works
> with them and most of them are recordings, too.
>

>>> The most maddening one is 'Rachel'. She's a computer call and she
>>> never gives up. She's the one who calls about better rates for your
>>> credit cards. The proper response for a computer call is Just Hang Up.
>>> For a live person you say "No, please don't call again, take my name
>>> off of your list."

> The frustrating thing about "Rachel" is that if you select the option on
> your phone to talk to a rep, as soon as you say to stop calling, they
> hang up. The numeric option to take you off their list does the same
> thing. I have just listed all of the recent calls from Credit Card
> Services in the last couple of weeks and am going to file complaints. I
> work for the contractor and directly deal with the FTC on the DNC
> registration database so sometimes I answer just to tell these
> telemarketers just that, and can never get a live person on the phone.
> They're really getting out of control lately!
>

>>> The folks claiming to be a tech from Microsoft is a brand new scam
>>> that has caught so many people that the Feds have put out an alert
>>> citizens. The people claiming to be from your phone company and
>>> wanting to sign you up for something or check something will drive you
>>> to curses and tears.

> I haven't heard about that one. Will have to do some checking.
>

>>> Basically, unless you have initiated something with a company, you
>>> just have to hang up.
>>>
>>> Thank you. It felt good to get that off my chest. I
>>>
>>> Janet US

>> Much easier to not answer to begin with. If it's important they'll leave
>> a message. Nothing is so important it can't wait a few minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2012 9:36 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 12/10/2012 9:14 PM, MaryL wrote:
>
>> I have an answering machine, so I always assume that anyone who really
>> wants to speak to me will leave a message. If it is someone I know (but
>> whose name did not show up on caller ID), I can immediately pick up the
>> phone.

> I have call display and call answer. Every once in a while I return home
> and see that my brother has called three or four times.... but no message.

We only use cellphones and often do that. If calling a friend just to
chit chat if no voicemail is left we know it was a casual call. If the
voicemail alert signals then we know to check it out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 01:08:11 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 23:57:01 -0500, Polly Esther wrote:
>
>> I've tried reporting and assorted other responses. Now. I have the
>> time and the anger. What have you done that will cause the caller the most
>> annoyance? I need revenge. Do I lead them on with questions and vague
>> answers? Punching 1 and putting the phone aside is a bit of fun - it
>> probably ties up their progress for a couple of minutes. I would like to be
>> a real nuisance.

>I get really nasty with them, but in a polite way. I ask them what
>they're wearing and their favorite sexual positions and ... well. It
>gets much worse than that. It was hard for me to talk that way at
>first but I kinda got used to it.

I posted years ago that's what I do, you learned that from me, but I'd
bet you don't really do it, because it's very rare nowadays that
there's an actual person calling to market some crap and you wouldn't
have the cojones anyway. It has to be at least five years since I
last got a live telemarketer, even the companies I do business with
use computer call reminders; pharmacies and doctors especially... even
the local public library now uses a computer call to remind me the
book I requested is in.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

When I call the the phone co about these I was told they are foreign originated and they have no control over them. They said to monitor calls by caller id and just don't answer the ones where we don't recognize the name or number. If it is a friend they will leave a message, or ask if we're there. If not, Buh Bye!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 23:57:01 -0500, Polly Esther wrote:
>
>> I've tried reporting and assorted other responses. Now. I have the
>> time and the anger. What have you done that will cause the caller the most
>> annoyance? I need revenge. Do I lead them on with questions and vague
>> answers? Punching 1 and putting the phone aside is a bit of fun - it
>> probably ties up their progress for a couple of minutes. I would like to be
>> a real nuisance.

>I get really nasty with them, but in a polite way. I ask them what
>they're wearing and their favorite sexual positions and ... well.

The male voices.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> The latest ones are calls for my husband who no longer lives here.

When did you divorce?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 05:51:52 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Julie Bove wrote:

>> > LOL. Andy should be posting a breakfast report any time now.
>> >
>> > Meanwhile, time for me to take a shower and get to the grocery store for
>> > my
>> > traditional weekly 6am grocery shopping trip.

>> We bought turkey patties, sweet potato fries, sliced apples and bread from
>> Costco. Lettuce, tomato and onion from Target. Also four cans of cream of
>> cack soup, but daughter likes it in casseroles and it was on sale. Tomorrow
>> to Winco but only for a few things. We are still working on eating what is
>> in the pantry, but mainly what is left is stuff that I will eat. I need to
>> do something with beans again.

>Do you like bean burritos? I have a good recipe for that if you like black
>beans, refried beans, salsa and flour tortillas.
>
>BTW, what is cream of cack soup? Was that a typo?
>
>G.

Don't ask, cream of cack is for her daughter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/13/2012 10:21 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> I posted years ago that's what I do, you learned that from me, but I'd
> bet you don't really do it, because it's very rare nowadays that
> there's an actual person calling to market some crap and you wouldn't
> have the cojones anyway. It has to be at least five years since I
> last got a live telemarketer, even the companies I do business with
> use computer call reminders; pharmacies and doctors especially... even
> the local public library now uses a computer call to remind me the
> book I requested is in.

It has been a long time since I received a live telemarketing call...
but if I were in the right mood, I had two methods of dealing with them.

1) I would try to sell them a cruise. "Before we start, let me ask
you... have you ever been on a cruise?" No matter what the answer (or
no answer at all), I was off to the races.

2) Get all Biblical on them. "Before we start... let me ask you... have
you been Born Again?"

The trick with both was to just keep talking, no matter what they said
or how they answered my questions.

Most of the time, I'd ask to be put on their "do not call" list and then
hang up.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 07:05:39 -0500, "MaryL"
> wrote:

>"Dave Smith" wrote in message ...
>
>On 12/10/2012 9:14 PM, MaryL wrote:
>
>> I have an answering machine, so I always assume that anyone who really
>> wants to speak to me will leave a message. If it is someone I know (but
>> whose name did not show up on caller ID), I can immediately pick up the
>> phone.

>I have call display and call answer. Every once in a while I return home
>and see that my brother has called three or four times.... but no message.
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Yes, I have had that same thing happen. But *most* people I know will show
>up on the display. There are a few that just show "out of area" or
>something similar, but those are usually telemarketers. I don't always
>leave a message when I call someone--but I find that if I pick up on an
>"unknown" number where the person did not start speaking to the answer
>machine, I invariably get a sales pitch and not a relative or long lost
>friend.
>
>MaryL

I very rarely leave a message on an answering machine, it has to be an
emergency, otherwise I'll phone later or send email. Often someone is
right there but screening their calls or often when I did leave a
message they didn't return my call for days, if at all. An awful lot
of people nowadays use their phone to hide, practically everyone has
that *82 feature... that's because they don't want to speak with the
bill collectors. Years ago there were no features, not even answering
machines, your phone rang you picked it up. The thing I noticed these
days is that people have no telephone manners (they ask for someone
without introducing themselves, no hello or goodbye either, they just
click off to the next call), and they speak so indistinctly, like they
literally have a mouthful of shit, or they want me to wait while they
go stir a pot or feed the dog... hey, you called me, don't call me if
you're busy. I don't take calls from cell phones, as soon as I
realize it's a cell I just hang up, because nine times out of ten they
are losing the signal so we both hear only half the conversation and
that makes it not worth my time... don't call me with a cell phone,
the first blank spot you're a gonner, and if I see that same number
later I won't pick up. When they ask later where'd I go I simply say
I was right here, your toys r us phone lost its signal. And anyway
most times when people call on a cell it's because they are bored and
need someone to help pass their time, they really have nothing to
say... they ought to sign in to an institution. I don't own a cell
phone, they are far from perfected and they have terrible sound...
cell phone audio is still no better than two paper cups and a string.
And I don't need a cell phone, even before cell phones and there were
only pay phones I made maybe as many calls from a pay phone as fingers
of one hand... WTF do people find to talk about that they need a phone
permanently attached to their ear... I've overheard cell conversating,
like two imbeciles talking about nothing. I think all these perpetual
phoners are just very lonely because they have no life.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 10:11:42 -0400, George >
wrote:

>On 10/12/2012 1:33 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 09:51:28 -0700, "Pico Rico"
>> > wrote:
>> snip

snip

>> The rule is that if you have ever had any legitimate dealings with
>> their company (or subs), they have a legal right to call you. If they

>But that is specifically qualified. You can explicitly request they only
>call for matters relating to the actual business relationship.

snip

For the sake of argument, let's say that one time you ordered a widget
from xyz company on the internet and they required your phone number
to call you in case there was a problem with your order. Xyz company
is the proud parent of umpty-ump sub companies and in turn is owned by
Big Corporation, a multi-national. Xyz company will send your phone
number and data to all companies involved. Control of your phone
number becomes real hazy at this point. The electronic age just makes
it so darn easy for millions of contacts to be made for just pennies
that it isn't on the radar for a company to worry about it.

It seems like only yesterday that complaints were heard in offices
about all the fax paper being used by advertisers and legitmate faxes
were not received.
Our cell phone is never turned on unless we want to make a call. Our
land line is our only weak spot for these annoying calls.

The only solutions are to not answer the phone or to just hang up.

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message

> literally have a mouthful of shit, or they want me to wait while they
> go stir a pot or feed the dog... hey, you called me, don't call me if
> you're busy. I don't take calls from cell phones, as soon as I

That's one of my pet peeves...friends/family who *call me* and then tell me
that they have another call coming in on Call Waiting while we're talking,
and then hang up to take the other call. I do hate receiving calls from cell
phones too, the reception is always bad, and you spend your time saying
what? what? what?

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 10:59:15 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
.. .

>> literally have a mouthful of shit, or they want me to wait while they
>> go stir a pot or feed the dog... hey, you called me, don't call me if
>> you're busy. I don't take calls from cell phones, as soon as I

>That's one of my pet peeves...friends/family who *call me* and then tell me
>that they have another call coming in on Call Waiting while we're talking,
>and then hang up to take the other call. I do hate receiving calls from cell
>phones too, the reception is always bad, and you spend your time saying
>what? what? what?

My brother-in-law did that to me once. I hung up. Now he's on the
'leave a message' list. I hate the phone anyway, so it is for the
best. He knows if he needs something, I'll get back to him.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message

>>> Actually we need to know this because Andy is lonely & horny.

>> He is actually living near Andy but I am not sure they would get along.

> Retired Army get along with Andy? No, definitely not. Andy is lazy,
> annoying, and effeminate. He's more the playmate of a Marine-type of
> guy.

Who is retired Army?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
.. .

>> literally have a mouthful of shit, or they want me to wait while they
>> go stir a pot or feed the dog... hey, you called me, don't call me if
>> you're busy. I don't take calls from cell phones, as soon as I

>That's one of my pet peeves...friends/family who *call me* and then tell me
>that they have another call coming in on Call Waiting while we're talking,
>and then hang up to take the other call.

They knew they would be getting a call and had to stay near the phone
so they called you to wile away the time, cell phoners are famous for
that... those assholes figure why should they waste their time all
alone, may as well waste your time too.

>I do hate receiving calls from cell
>phones too, the reception is always bad, and you spend your time saying
>what? what? what?

Cell phone sex is less satisfying than coitus interruptus... can you
feel me now? LOL Oh, wow... look at how Maria Molina is poured into
her dress today, and it's my favorite color for gal's undies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/13/2012 12:18 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> WTF do people find to talk about that they need a phone
> permanently attached to their ear... I've overheard cell conversating,
> like two imbeciles talking about nothing. I think all these perpetual
> phoners are just very lonely because they have no life.

I had to LOL at that one! Plus the fact that we can overhear their
phone conversations in the first place. I was in a store one time and a
guy had his speaker phone on and every other word coming out of the
person he was talking to was the F word. And it wasn't an argumentative
conversation, just "normal" talking for them, I guess.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 11:05:44 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>For the sake of argument, let's say that one time you ordered a widget
>from xyz company on the internet and they required your phone number
>to call you in case there was a problem with your order.

They are going to automatically have your phone number anyway when you
supply your credit card info. Of course you can always snail mail
them a check or money order, but that defeats the purpose of buying on
the net because of all the time it wastes until you get your
merchandise. If you buy from legitimate web sites you'll have no
problems. I typically phone in my order anyway. And I won't buy from
a web site that gives no phone number and snail mail address, and not
a PO Box, they need to supply their physical location.

>Xyz company
>is the proud parent of umpty-ump sub companies and in turn is owned by
>Big Corporation, a multi-national. Xyz company will send your phone
>number and data to all companies involved. Control of your phone
>number becomes real hazy at this point. The electronic age just makes
>it so darn easy for millions of contacts to be made for just pennies
>that it isn't on the radar for a company to worry about it.
>
>It seems like only yesterday that complaints were heard in offices
>about all the fax paper being used by advertisers and legitmate faxes
>were not received.
> Our cell phone is never turned on unless we want to make a call. Our
>land line is our only weak spot for these annoying calls.
>
>The only solutions are to not answer the phone or to just hang up.
>
>Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> The first time, I kept the guy on the line for about a half an hour.
> Pretended to be stupid. What? I don't understand what you are saying.
> Press the "shift" key? I don't think I have one of those. Where? Under
> what key? I don't think I have that either. I finally tired of that game
> and began yelling at him.

Pretended to be stupid? There's a stretch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/13/2012 1:05 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> For the sake of argument, let's say that one time you ordered a widget
> from xyz company on the internet and they required your phone number
> to call you in case there was a problem with your order.

Hence I just put zeroes for the last 4 digits, they can email
me if they have a question.

> Our cell phone is never turned on unless we want to make a call. Our
> land line is our only weak spot for these annoying calls.
>
> The only solutions are to not answer the phone or to just hang up.

At one point I was being bombarded with computer calls, I got one
of those gadgets that could detect if it was a machine calling.
Worked great.

Luckily I don't get any telemarketing calls, I don't know why. Knock wood.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" wrote in message ...

Does anyone know if there is central agency where we can report
commercial cold calls? I am registered for do not call but I still get
them. The latest is from Disney World, which is hardly a charity or a
political party.
--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

******************

Read this:
https://complaints.donotcall.gov/com...k.aspx?panel=2

I sincerely doubt Disney World qualifies, *unless* you've actually BEEN to
Disney World and when booking a trip provided them with your phone number.
At any rate, just tell the person no thanks and "put me on the Do Not Call
list". Click the link for File a Complaint.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 14:41:00 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

>>That's one of my pet peeves...friends/family who *call me* and then tell me
>>that they have another call coming in on Call Waiting while we're talking,
>>and then hang up to take the other call. I do hate receiving calls from cell
>>phones too, the reception is always bad, and you spend your time saying
>>what? what? what?
>>

>My brother-in-law did that to me once. I hung up. Now he's on the
>'leave a message' list. I hate the phone anyway, so it is for the
>best. He knows if he needs something, I'll get back to him.
>
>Jim

A "friend" did that to me twice one night. That was 20 years ago and
I've not talked to him since.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13/10/2012 2:41 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

>> That's one of my pet peeves...friends/family who *call me* and then tell me
>> that they have another call coming in on Call Waiting while we're talking,
>> and then hang up to take the other call. I do hate receiving calls from cell
>> phones too, the reception is always bad, and you spend your time saying
>> what? what? what?
>>

> My brother-in-law did that to me once. I hung up. Now he's on the
> 'leave a message' list. I hate the phone anyway, so it is for the
> best. He knows if he needs something, I'll get back to him.

I used to be more patient. I knew a guy who used to call to chat. I hate
talking on the phone to begin with and this was just idle chatter. Then
he would put me on hold when he had another call. I started hanging up.
He would call back and say that we got cut off. I would tell him, no I
hung up when yo put me on hold.