Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default American Cheese

What exactly is it? Is it a processed cheese? We don't have anything up
here called American Cheese. We have Velveeta, and processed cheese slices,
but I don't think that's it. We have a good selection of other cheeses, but
I'm wondering if the equivilent is cheddar?? Thanks....Sharon in Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:
> What exactly is it? Is it a processed cheese? We don't have
> anything up here called American Cheese. We have Velveeta, and
> processed cheese slices, but I don't think that's it. We have a good
> selection of other cheeses, but I'm wondering if the equivilent is
> cheddar?? Thanks....Sharon in Canada

It's a cheese-like thing, made from cheese, milk, and various
hold-it-together substances, that usually costs less than actual cheese.

I haven't ever found a reason to prefer it to any actual cheese and, if
I was using a recipe that called for American cheese, cheddar would be
my substitute. American cheese really doesn't have much flavor, IMHO,
rather tastes like milk made into a solid with salt added.

I read a joke today - You can always tell a Canadian, but you can't tell
him much - I thought that was pretty funny and, of course, substitute
the country or ethnic group of your liking should you wish.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> biig wrote:
>> What exactly is it? Is it a processed cheese? We don't have
>> anything up here called American Cheese. We have Velveeta, and
>> processed cheese slices, but I don't think that's it. We have a good
>> selection of other cheeses, but I'm wondering if the equivilent is
>> cheddar?? Thanks....Sharon in Canada

> It's a cheese-like thing, made from cheese, milk, and various
> hold-it-together substances, that usually costs less than actual cheese.
>
> I haven't ever found a reason to prefer it to any actual cheese and, if I
> was using a recipe that called for American cheese, cheddar would be my
> substitute. American cheese really doesn't have much flavor, IMHO, rather
> tastes like milk made into a solid with salt added.
>
> I read a joke today - You can always tell a Canadian, but you can't tell
> him much - I thought that was pretty funny and, of course, substitute the
> country or ethnic group of your liking should you wish.
>
> -S-

Chuckle!! I've heard it the other way around......Sharon in Canada : >

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> biig wrote:
>> What exactly is it? Is it a processed cheese? We don't have
>> anything up here called American Cheese. We have Velveeta, and
>> processed cheese slices, but I don't think that's it. We have a good
>> selection of other cheeses, but I'm wondering if the equivilent is
>> cheddar?? Thanks....Sharon in Canada

> It's a cheese-like thing, made from cheese, milk, and various
> hold-it-together substances, that usually costs less than actual cheese.
>
> I haven't ever found a reason to prefer it to any actual cheese and, if I
> was using a recipe that called for American cheese, cheddar would be my
> substitute. American cheese really doesn't have much flavor, IMHO, rather
> tastes like milk made into a solid with salt added.
>
> I read a joke today - You can always tell a Canadian, but you can't tell
> him much - I thought that was pretty funny and, of course, substitute the
> country or ethnic group of your liking should you wish.
>
> -S-

I guess it's a processed cheese then. Is it anything like Velveeta?
Velveeta is expensive and I bypass it for cheddar. We have some very good
local cheddars here....Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-03-01, biig > wrote:
> What exactly is it? Is it a processed cheese? We don't have anything up
> here called American Cheese. We have Velveeta, and processed cheese slices,
> but I don't think that's it. We have a good selection of other cheeses, but
> I'm wondering if the equivilent is cheddar?? Thanks....Sharon in Canada

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_cheese

Velveeta is.... actually, I have no clue WTF velveeta is. Apparently,
a subspecies of American cheese:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velveeta

I do know that after a lifetime of making grilled cheese sandwiches,
I'll make no more. Even Kraft American cheese is no longer a food fit
for much of anything. It has almost no flavor, anymore, and slices
are so incredibly thin as to be not much thicker than the protective
cover surrounding them. In fact, now that I think on it, I suspect
that plastic cover is there more to provide the appearance of bulk and
overall package thickness than actual protection. I recall buying
bulk American cheese from the deli cold case and it looked jes fine,
nice fat slices securely stuck together, yet easily separable. It had
actual detectable flavor, too. I recently payed extra for Kraft's
"sharp chedder" American cheese, the alleged good stuff. It had no
more flavor than the cheap grease "cheese food" sold as house brands.

As to your other question, American cheese has no more similarity to
real cheddar than cottage cheese has to stainless steel.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:

> What exactly is it? Is it a processed cheese? We don't have anything up
>here called American Cheese. We have Velveeta, and processed cheese slices,
>but I don't think that's it. We have a good selection of other cheeses, but
>I'm wondering if the equivilent is cheddar?? Thanks....Sharon in Canada

I believe it's identical to "Canadian cheese". It's a processed food
derived from cheese. In the USA, it's used mostly on cheeseburgers,
grilled cheese sandwiches, and "tuna melt".

There are also really nasty versions called "cheese food" and "cheese
spread". Probably something is also labeled "cheese product". Then
there's Velveeta.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 7:56*am, notbob > wrote:
> On 2012-03-01, biig > wrote:
>
> > * *What exactly is it? *Is it a processed cheese? *We don't have anything up
> > here called American Cheese. *We have Velveeta, and processed cheese slices,
> > but I don't think that's it. *We have a good selection of other cheeses, but
> > I'm wondering if the equivilent is cheddar?? *Thanks....Sharon in Canada

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_cheese
>
> Velveeta is.... actually, I have no clue WTF velveeta is. *Apparently,
> a subspecies of American cheese:

Government cheese.

> nb

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:
> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>> biig wrote:
>>> What exactly is it? Is it a processed cheese? We don't have
>>> anything up here called American Cheese. We have Velveeta, and
>>> processed cheese slices, but I don't think that's it. We have a
>>> good selection of other cheeses, but I'm wondering if the
>>> equivilent is cheddar?? Thanks....Sharon in Canada

>> It's a cheese-like thing, made from cheese, milk, and various
>> hold-it-together substances, that usually costs less than actual
>> cheese. I haven't ever found a reason to prefer it to any actual
>> cheese and,
>> if I was using a recipe that called for American cheese, cheddar
>> would be my substitute. American cheese really doesn't have much
>> flavor, IMHO, rather tastes like milk made into a solid with salt
>> added. I read a joke today - You can always tell a Canadian, but you
>> can't
>> tell him much - I thought that was pretty funny and, of course,
>> substitute the country or ethnic group of your liking should you
>> wish. -S-
>>

> I guess it's a processed cheese then. Is it anything like Velveeta?
> Velveeta is expensive and I bypass it for cheddar. We have some very
> good local cheddars here....Sharon

Yes, Velveeta is also processed, but even more so, I believe. American
cheese might actually be considered better than Velveeta...

If you could post a recipe that calls for American cheese - why I assume
you're asking in the first place - we all might comment about how we'd
handle it.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2012-03-01, biig > wrote:
>> What exactly is it? Is it a processed cheese? We don't have
>> anything up here called American Cheese. We have Velveeta, and
>> processed cheese slices, but I don't think that's it. We have a
>> good selection of other cheeses, but I'm wondering if the equivilent
>> is cheddar?? Thanks....Sharon in Canada

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_cheese
>
> Velveeta is.... actually, I have no clue WTF velveeta is. Apparently,
> a subspecies of American cheese:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velveeta
>
> I do know that after a lifetime of making grilled cheese sandwiches,
> I'll make no more.

You're throwing out the baby with the bath water - why give up on
grilled cheese sandwiches when you can make them with real cheese
instead? Just slice it thinly and it works great. Cheddar is what we
use here most of the time.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 8:28*am, George M. Middius > wrote:
> biig wrote:
> > * What exactly is it? *Is it a processed cheese? *We don't have anything up
> >here called American Cheese. *We have Velveeta, and processed cheese slices,
> >but I don't think that's it. *We have a good selection of other cheeses, but
> >I'm wondering if the equivilent is cheddar?? *Thanks....Sharon in Canada

> I believe it's identical to "Canadian cheese". It's a processed food
> derived from cheese. In the USA, it's used mostly on cheeseburgers,
> grilled cheese sandwiches, and "tuna melt".
>
> There are also really nasty versions called "cheese food" and "cheese
> spread". Probably something is also labeled "cheese product". Then
> there's Velveeta.

Pasteurized process cheese food product spread. Here in St. Louis,
they put process cheese on pizzas. The process cheese mingles with
the sauce to form a slimy mixture.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provel_cheese

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/1/2012 9:52 AM, Steve Freides wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>> On 2012-03-01, > wrote:
>>> What exactly is it? Is it a processed cheese? We don't have
>>> anything up here called American Cheese. We have Velveeta, and
>>> processed cheese slices, but I don't think that's it. We have a
>>> good selection of other cheeses, but I'm wondering if the equivilent
>>> is cheddar?? Thanks....Sharon in Canada

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_cheese
>>
>> Velveeta is.... actually, I have no clue WTF velveeta is. Apparently,
>> a subspecies of American cheese:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velveeta
>>
>> I do know that after a lifetime of making grilled cheese sandwiches,
>> I'll make no more.

> You're throwing out the baby with the bath water - why give up on
> grilled cheese sandwiches when you can make them with real cheese
> instead? Just slice it thinly and it works great. Cheddar is what we
> use here most of the time.
>
> -S-

Agree. I haven't bought that industrial cheese like material in a
really, really long time. If we want a grilled cheese or cheese on a
burger etc I slice up some cheddar just as you described.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 06:47:16 -0800 (PST), Bryan

>Government cheese.
>>
>> nb
>>

>--Bryan

"Government cheese" is a differenbt thuibng altogether.

Don't feign ignorance!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:

>If you could post a recipe that calls for American cheese - why I assume
>you're asking in the first place - we all might comment about how we'd
>handle it.

I don't have one handy, but if you want to make nacho cheese dip,
processed cheese is easier than real cheese.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 06:57:24 -0800 (PST), Bryan

>Pasteurized process cheese food product spread. Here in St. Louis,
>they put process cheese on pizzas. The process cheese mingles with
>the sauce to form a slimy mixture.
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provel_cheese
>
>--Bryan

Gee, I dunno Bryan. Did you read your Wiki page?

"Provel is produced with Cheddar, Swiss, and provolone. Provel has a
low melting point and, thus, has a gooey and almost buttery texture at
room temperature."

Cheddar, swiss and provolone are real cheeses. Just because Provel is
a combination of them does not mean it's "Pasteurized process cheese
food product spread" as you say denigratingly.

Just because YOU don't like it does not make it crap to everyone. And
conversly some of what YOU like is crap to everyone else!

Get over yourself!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-03-01, Steve Freides > wrote:

> You're throwing out the baby with the bath water - why give up on
> grilled cheese sandwiches when you can make them with real cheese
> instead? Just slice it thinly and it works great. Cheddar is what we
> use here most of the time.

I occasionally exaggerate.

I meant no more grilled cheese w/ AC, a once beloved treat. If I can
slice it properly, I'll try a cheddar GCS. Otherwise, I'll resort to
the alternative, grilled cheese on toast, where one makes an opened
faced sandwich and can use other, more robust, breads. I've also made
cheese rarebit, a major fave, it having all kindsa other goodies like
a good porter ale in it. I used to make rarebit in my toaster oven,
but not longer have that appliance and really no place to put another.
I need an iron salamander, the hand tool.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
vi --the heart of evil!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> biig wrote:
>>>
>>> It's a cheese-like thing, made from cheese, milk, and various
>>> hold-it-together substances, that usually costs less than actual
>>> cheese. I haven't ever found a reason to prefer it to any actual cheese
>>> and,
>>> if I was using a recipe that called for American cheese, cheddar
>>> would be my substitute. American cheese really doesn't have much
>>> flavor, IMHO, rather tastes like milk made into a solid with salt
>>> added. I read a joke today - You can always tell a Canadian, but you
>>> can't
>>> tell him much - I thought that was pretty funny and, of course,
>>> substitute the country or ethnic group of your liking should you
>>> wish. -S-
>>>

>> I guess it's a processed cheese then. Is it anything like Velveeta?
>> Velveeta is expensive and I bypass it for cheddar. We have some very
>> good local cheddars here....Sharon

> Yes, Velveeta is also processed, but even more so, I believe. American
> cheese might actually be considered better than Velveeta...
>
> If you could post a recipe that calls for American cheese - why I assume
> you're asking in the first place - we all might comment about how we'd
> handle it.
>
> -S-

I'm not referring to any particular recipe. I read a lot of recipes and
have noticed in a lot of them, especially mac and cheese recipes, they often
call for American cheese. I usually use shredded cheddar when I make it. I
don't make it often since we're diabetic and I'd go off the deep
end...lol... Thanks to all the replies....They pretty much answered my
question. We don't have anything that I've noticed, called Canadian
Cheese... Sharon in Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 8:32*am, "biig" > wrote:
> * *What exactly is it? *Is it a processed cheese? *We don't have anything up
> here called American Cheese. *We have Velveeta, and processed cheese slices,
> but I don't think that's it. *We have a good selection of other cheeses, but
> I'm wondering if the equivilent is cheddar?? *Thanks....Sharon in Canada

Up noarth we had curds in Wis. A bag of them looked like brains.
Mmmmmmmm.
Down here in Floriduh where all the corrupted capitalist scum like Jeb
Bush worship money we have packets in mac and cheese. I like to
sprinkle it on popcorn.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> > wrote:
>
>> What exactly is it? Is it a processed cheese? We don't have anything up
>> here called American Cheese. We have Velveeta, and processed cheese slices,
>> but I don't think that's it. We have a good selection of other cheeses, but
>> I'm wondering if the equivilent is cheddar?? Thanks....Sharon in Canada

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_cheese

Processed cheese slices is exactly what it is. I've seen Kraft cheese
slices in Canadian groceries in Ontario. It's not really surprising
that the word "American" isn't on the labels when it's in Canada.

Process cheese is real cheese. Crappy cheese but real nonetheless. It
comes in blocks in the US but I don't remember if I've seen it in blocks
in groceries in Ontario. While in Ontario groceries I'm typically
looking for some very good locally produced cheddars.

> Velveeta is.... actually, I have no clue WTF velveeta is. Apparently,
> a subspecies of American cheese:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velveeta

Legally Velveeta is "cheese food product" so it is not cheese. For
dieters where their diet lists cheese as an option that's important to
note - Velveeta does not count as cheese. It's not recipe-legal as a
cheese because it's not package-legal as a cheese according to the USDA.

So there's a spectrum. There's good cheese like double cream
glouchestershire cheddar. There's crappy cheese like American process
from several companies including Kraft. There's stuff so aweful they
can't legally call it cheese like Velveeta. It even goes beyond
Velveeta to Cheese Whizz.

I think Velveeta does have uses. It's good as long as I never think of
it as cheese or use it as a substitute for actual cheese. But in
recipes that are explicitly for Velveeta it has its place. It melts
well, dissolves in warm milk well. It works for recipes that read like
"combine a can of X with a package of Y" of the sort that many foodies
look down upon.

If you've ever been out exploring and you drove past a cheese ranch, now
you know what they feed those young cheese wheels rolling around in the
pastures. When they roll to the barn they ar efed "cheese food
product". ;^)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote in message
> On 3/1/2012 9:52 AM, Steve Freides wrote:
>> notbob wrote:
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_cheese
>>>
>>> Velveeta is.... actually, I have no clue WTF velveeta is. Apparently,
>>> a subspecies of American cheese:
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velveeta
>>>
>>> I do know that after a lifetime of making grilled cheese sandwiches,
>>> I'll make no more.

>> You're throwing out the baby with the bath water - why give up on
>> grilled cheese sandwiches when you can make them with real cheese
>> instead? Just slice it thinly and it works great. Cheddar is what we
>> use here most of the time.
>>
>> -S-
>>

> Agree. I haven't bought that industrial cheese like material in a really,
> really long time. If we want a grilled cheese or cheese on a burger etc I
> slice up some cheddar just as you described.

I like a combo of cheddar and swiss on a grilled cheese sandwich
Probably 35 years ago I was using that individually wrapped "processed
cheese food" stuff, but hey, back then I didn't know any better.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2012-03-01, Steve Freides > wrote:
>
>> You're throwing out the baby with the bath water - why give up on
>> grilled cheese sandwiches when you can make them with real cheese
>> instead? Just slice it thinly and it works great. Cheddar is what we
>> use here most of the time.

> I occasionally exaggerate.

No! Really? LOL

> I meant no more grilled cheese w/ AC, a once beloved treat. If I can
> slice it properly, I'll try a cheddar GCS.

What you need is a cheese plane It cuts uniform slices across a slab of
cheddar (or swiss or monterey jack). Works great for grilled cheese
sandwiches and for slicing cheese for burgers.

> the alternative, grilled cheese on toast, where one makes an opened
> faced sandwich and can use other, more robust, breads.

Nothing says you can't use more robust breads to make a grilled cheese
sandwich. I sometimes use artisan loaves of Italian from the grocery store
bakery. Or use rye bread.

> cheese rarebit, a major fave, it having all kindsa other goodies like
> a good porter ale in it. I used to make rarebit in my toaster oven,
> but not longer have that appliance and really no place to put another.
> I need an iron salamander, the hand tool.

Um... a salamander isn't a hand tool. It's an oven/broiler often used in
restaurants. You know this! Sure, you can buy home models. But if you
don't have room for a toaster oven you definitely won't have room for a
salamander.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-03-01, Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> Process cheese is real cheese.

Except when it's not. Like when it's labeled American Cheese in large
letters and "cheese food product" in unreadably small letters and the
ingredients don't include a cow derived substance within miles.
That's what I call grease cheese. Lotta that crap on our shelves.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
vi --the heart of evil!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 5:32*am, "biig" > wrote:
> * *What exactly is it? *Is it a processed cheese? *We don't have anything up
> here called American Cheese. *We have Velveeta, and processed cheese slices,
> but I don't think that's it. *We have a good selection of other cheeses, but
> I'm wondering if the equivilent is cheddar?? *Thanks....Sharon in Canada

Despite what the wikiexperts might have you believe, this is the legal
definition of American cheese per the Code of Federal Regulations:

§ 58.2456 American cheese.
American cheese includes the following varieties of cheese:
(a) Cheddar cheese and cheddar cheese for manufacturing shall conform
to the provisions
of 21 CFR 133.113 and 133.114, respectively, “Cheeses and Related
Cheese Products,” as issued
by the Food and Drug Administration.
(b) Washed curd cheese (soaked curd cheese) and washed curd cheese for
manufacturing
shall conform to the provisions of 21 CFR 133.136 and 133.137,
respectively, “Cheeses and
Related Cheese Products,” as issued by the Food and Drug
Administration.
(c) Granular cheese (stirred curd cheese) and granular cheese for
manufacturing shall
conform to the provisions of 21 CFR 133.144 and 133.145, respectively,
“Cheeses and Related
Cheese Products,” as issued by the Food and Drug Administration.
(d) Colby cheese and colby cheese for manufacturing shall conform to
the provisions of 21
CFR 133.118 and 133.119, respectively, “Cheeses and Related Cheese
Products,” as issued by the
Food and Drug Administration.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getf...STELDEV3004215
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/1/2012 12:44 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2012-03-01, Doug > wrote:
>
>> Process cheese is real cheese.

> Except when it's not. Like when it's labeled American Cheese in large
> letters and "cheese food product" in unreadably small letters and the
> ingredients don't include a cow derived substance within miles.
> That's what I call grease cheese. Lotta that crap on our shelves.

"American Cheese" is not the only emulsified cheese product. Those
little triangles in a circular box, made from French and Swiss Gruyere
instead of cheddar, are similar. IMO, they do taste better than American
Cheese but they are much the same thing.

--
Jim Silverton

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-03-01, jmcquown > wrote:

> Um... a salamander isn't a hand tool.

Um... yeah, it is:

http://tinyurl.com/85be72j

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
vi --the heart of evil!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 1, 2012 8:32:20 AM UTC-5, biig wrote:
> What exactly is it? Is it a processed cheese? We don't have anything up
> here called American Cheese. We have Velveeta, and processed cheese slices,
> but I don't think that's it. We have a good selection of other cheeses, but
> I'm wondering if the equivilent is cheddar?? Thanks....Sharon in Canada

It's a processed cheese based on Cheddar, probably with added milk. It melts well, which makes if preferred by many -- including my kids -- for grilled cheese sandwiches. Therein lies a story. About 45 years ago, I was driving through rural Quebec with my wife and our four kids and towing a pop-up camper. we stopped at a grocery in a small town to restock provisions, and my wife asked for American cheese. She got a cold stare and "We have nossing like zat here." "Ah" answered mt wife. Fromage Canadien, peut-ętre?" She got the American cheese.

Jerry
--
"I view the progress of science as being the slow erosion of the
tendency to dichotomize." Barbara Smuts, U. Mich.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2012-03-01, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> Um... a salamander isn't a hand tool.

> Um... yeah, it is:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/85be72j
>
> nb

Sorry, but I can't tell by looking at that what the heck you'd do with it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 11:44*am, notbob > wrote:
> On 2012-03-01, Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>
> > Process cheese is real cheese.

Process cheese is *part* cheese, and part other stuff.

> Except when it's not. *Like when it's labeled American Cheese in large
> letters and "cheese food product" in unreadably small letters and the
> ingredients don't include a cow derived substance within miles.
> That's what I call grease cheese. *Lotta that crap on our shelves.

ALL "cheese food product" is partly made from "a cow derived
substance" called cheese.

> nb

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/1/2012 12:42 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> "notbob" > wrote in message
>> On 2012-03-01, Steve Freides > wrote:
>>
>>> You're throwing out the baby with the bath water - why give up on
>>> grilled cheese sandwiches when you can make them with real cheese
>>> instead? Just slice it thinly and it works great. Cheddar is what we
>>> use here most of the time.

>> I occasionally exaggerate.
>>

> No! Really? LOL
>
>> I meant no more grilled cheese w/ AC, a once beloved treat. If I can
>> slice it properly, I'll try a cheddar GCS.

> What you need is a cheese plane It cuts uniform slices across a slab
> of cheddar (or swiss or monterey jack). Works great for grilled cheese
> sandwiches and for slicing cheese for burgers.

Or a cheese wire.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> "notbob" > wrote in message
>> On 2012-03-01, jmcquown > wrote:
>>
>>> Um... a salamander isn't a hand tool.

>> Um... yeah, it is:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/85be72j
>>
>> nb
>>

> Sorry, but I can't tell by looking at that what the heck you'd do with it.

Pretty tough, Jill. You might actually have to get onto the Internet
to do a google search and find out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grilling#Salamander

"Modern electric or gas salamanders take their name from the
earlier salamander, an iron disc on a handle which is heated and
placed over a dish to brown it, which in turn is named after the
legendary salamander, an amphibian that was mythically
believed to be immune to fire."

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 08:32:20 -0500, "biig" > wrote:

> What exactly is it? Is it a processed cheese? We don't have anything up
>here called American Cheese. We have Velveeta, and processed cheese slices,
>but I don't think that's it. We have a good selection of other cheeses, but
>I'm wondering if the equivilent is cheddar?? Thanks....Sharon in Canada

Processed American Cheese is definitely processed. It is possible to
get American Cheese that is not processed. The local Country Store
has it. He probably gets it from the Amish. I don't think that it is
the same as cheddar but cheddar might work.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:
> On Mar 1, 7:56 am, notbob > wrote:
>> On 2012-03-01, biig > wrote:
>>
>>> What exactly is it? Is it a processed cheese? We don't have anything up
>>> here called American Cheese. We have Velveeta, and processed cheese slices,
>>> but I don't think that's it. We have a good selection of other cheeses, but
>>> I'm wondering if the equivilent is cheddar?? Thanks....Sharon in Canada

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_cheese
>>
>> Velveeta is.... actually, I have no clue WTF velveeta is. Apparently,
>> a subspecies of American cheese:
>>

> Government cheese.
>> nb
>>

> --Bryan

That government cheese was actually good. Back in the 80's they
(Reagan?) released a bunch of it -- cost too much to store it IIRC --
and the county commissioner gave every family a 5 pounds block of it.
Much lower moisture content than Velveeta, not as salty, and tasted kind
of like cheese.

I miss the Kraft "Old English" loaf. It was a sharp American cheese,
also firmer than Velveeta.

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 10:02:20 -0800 (PST), Jerry Avins >
wrote:

>On Thursday, March 1, 2012 8:32:20 AM UTC-5, biig wrote:
>> What exactly is it? Is it a processed cheese? We don't have anything up
>> here called American Cheese. We have Velveeta, and processed cheese slices,
>> but I don't think that's it. We have a good selection of other cheeses, but
>> I'm wondering if the equivilent is cheddar?? Thanks....Sharon in Canada

>It's a processed cheese based on Cheddar, probably with added milk.

The process in processed cheese is pasteurazation, makes it more shelf
stable but it's real cheese.

processed cheese
Any of several types of *natural cheese* that are PASTEURIZED to
lengthen storage life and combined with emulsifiers to aid smoothness.
Processed cheeses keep well but lack the distinctive flavor and
texture of natural cheeses. They're also sometimes referred to as
American cheeses.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" > wrote in message
news

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Um... yeah, it is:
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/85be72j
>>>
>>> nb
>>>

>> Sorry, but I can't tell by looking at that what the heck you'd do with
>> it.

> Pretty tough, Jill. You might actually have to get onto the Internet
> to do a google search and find out.

GEE! Where did you think I got that link I posted that you *conveniently*
deleted, pavane?

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grilling#Salamander
>

> "Modern electric or gas salamanders take their name from the
> earlier salamander, an iron disc on a handle which is heated and
> placed over a dish to brown it, which in turn is named after the
> legendary salamander, an amphibian that was mythically
> believed to be immune to fire."
>
> pavane

Sorry, it looks like a branding iron to me. I wouldn't find it could take
the place of a toaster oven. Maybe he'd like to start chopping wood and
cooking on a wood stove, too.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 3/1/2012 12:42 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> I occasionally exaggerate.
>>>

>> No! Really? LOL
>>
>>> I meant no more grilled cheese w/ AC, a once beloved treat. If I can
>>> slice it properly, I'll try a cheddar GCS.

>> What you need is a cheese plane It cuts uniform slices across a slab
>> of cheddar (or swiss or monterey jack). Works great for grilled cheese
>> sandwiches and for slicing cheese for burgers.
>>

> Or a cheese wire.

That works, too. Although I find the flat planer with a handle easier to
clean than the wire cutter (if you're talking about one that has the
roller). YMMV.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Catfood Chef" > wrote in message
> On Mar 1, 8:32 am, "biig" > wrote:
>> What exactly is it? Is it a processed cheese? We don't have anything
>> up
>> here called American Cheese. We have Velveeta, and processed cheese
>> slices,
>> but I don't think that's it. We have a good selection of other cheeses,
>> but
>> I'm wondering if the equivilent is cheddar?? Thanks....Sharon in Canada

> Up noarth we had curds in Wis. A bag of them looked like brains.

Cheese curds looked like more brains than you have.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 13:43:26 -0500, The Cook wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 08:32:20 -0500, "biig" > wrote:
>>
>>> What exactly is it? Is it a processed cheese? We don't have anything
>>> up
>>>here called American Cheese. We have Velveeta, and processed cheese
>>>slices,
>>>but I don't think that's it. We have a good selection of other cheeses,
>>>but
>>>I'm wondering if the equivilent is cheddar?? Thanks....Sharon in Canada
>>>

>> Processed American Cheese is definitely processed. It is possible to
>> get American Cheese that is not processed.

> I disagree. The FDA wording is terrible - they love to double-talk
> and contradict themselves, but you will find no "unprocessed American
> cheese". An unprocessed American cheese is called colby, cheddar,
> granular, or washed curd cheese. Those are the only 4 examples of an
> unprocessed American cheese.
>
> Yes, you can label colby or cheddar as "American cheese", but why
> degrade your cheese reputation?
>
> -sw

I've gotten colby cheese here in the distant past. It's also called
"farmer's Cheese" It was softer than an aged cheese, and milder.....Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > writes:

> biig wrote:
>>>
>>> It's a cheese-like thing, made from cheese, milk, and various
>>> hold-it-together substances, that usually costs less than actual
>>> cheese. I haven't ever found a reason to prefer it to any actual
>>> cheese and,
>>> if I was using a recipe that called for American cheese, cheddar
>>> would be my substitute. American cheese really doesn't have much
>>> flavor, IMHO, rather tastes like milk made into a solid with salt
>>> added. I read a joke today - You can always tell a Canadian, but you
>>> can't
>>> tell him much - I thought that was pretty funny and, of course,
>>> substitute the country or ethnic group of your liking should you
>>> wish. -S-
>>>

>> I guess it's a processed cheese then. Is it anything like Velveeta?
>> Velveeta is expensive and I bypass it for cheddar. We have some very
>> good local cheddars here....Sharon

> Yes, Velveeta is also processed, but even more so, I believe. American
> cheese might actually be considered better than Velveeta...

I prefer to phrase it slightly differently -- American is less bad than
Velveeta :-).

Not that I've ever bought either as an ingredient (I'm pretty sure I get
American on cheeseburgers at restaurants, though).
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George M. Middius > writes:

> Steve Freides wrote:
>
>>If you could post a recipe that calls for American cheese - why I assume
>>you're asking in the first place - we all might comment about how we'd
>>handle it.

> I don't have one handy, but if you want to make nacho cheese dip,
> processed cheese is easier than real cheese.

But also makes an inedible product.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > writes:

> notbob wrote:
>> On 2012-03-01, biig > wrote:
>>> What exactly is it? Is it a processed cheese? We don't have
>>> anything up here called American Cheese. We have Velveeta, and
>>> processed cheese slices, but I don't think that's it. We have a
>>> good selection of other cheeses, but I'm wondering if the equivilent
>>> is cheddar?? Thanks....Sharon in Canada

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_cheese
>>
>> Velveeta is.... actually, I have no clue WTF velveeta is. Apparently,
>> a subspecies of American cheese:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velveeta
>>
>> I do know that after a lifetime of making grilled cheese sandwiches,
>> I'll make no more.

> You're throwing out the baby with the bath water - why give up on
> grilled cheese sandwiches when you can make them with real cheese
> instead? Just slice it thinly and it works great. Cheddar is what we
> use here most of the time.

Good cheddar, I find, doesn't melt well at all, and is nothing like what
I want in a grilled cheese sandwich.

I use Colby.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 10:31:41 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:

>On Mar 1, 11:44*am, notbob > wrote:
>> On 2012-03-01, Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>>
>> > Process cheese is real cheese.

>Process cheese is *part* cheese, and part other stuff.

And Bryan ONLY eats PURE stuff! Like pure MCT, and pure pecan oil,
pure shag bark hickory tea and lots of other new age crap that he
SWEARS is gonna let him live an additional 10 minutes!!

Of course the querstion remains how many HOURS of his life has been
spent earning those 10 additional minutes? ;-)

John Kuthe...