Old 11-02-2012, 09:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Does Anyone Still Make Angel Food Cakes From "Scratch"?

Growing up my mother never used a cake mix, and I can remember her
making angel food cakes from scratch, which was a real "act of love".
When I first got married, I followed in her footsteps and continued to
make mine from scratch too. They were total perfection....high, light
and tender, but for the past several years, I have used a box mix, and
still achieve the same results, although perhaps I have forgotten if the
flavor of homemade wasn't better? They really have the mix down-pat and
is just SO easy to do, and always fool proof.

It took me YEARS to stoop so low as to even purchase my first cake mix
(LOL) and now I use them often, though still prefer the flavor and
texture of homemade.

I use to be able to find the confetti angel cake mixes and also a
chocolate swirl flavor, but I haven't in a very long time now, and wish
they wouldn't have done away with them.

I thought of this today, because I bought a Betty Crocker angel food mix
at the store for a dessert I am going to make for a potluck this week. I
have to cut it up in cubes and fold into other ingredients, so wouldn't
want to have to go through all the time and energy to make a cake from
scratch anyway, only to "butcher" it.

Judy

Old 11-02-2012, 11:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" wrote in message

[...]

I just baked one of the Betty Crocker angel food cakes. Never one to leave
well enough alone, I used orange juice instead of water and just a teaspoon
of orange flavoring. Good enough to eat. Polly

Old 11-02-2012, 11:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/02/2012 6:13 PM, Polly Esther wrote:

I just baked one of the Betty Crocker angel food cakes. Never one to
leave well enough alone, I used orange juice instead of water and just a
teaspoon of orange flavoring. Good enough to eat. Polly

I might suggest lemon. When I was a kid my mother often made angel food
cakes, or bought them if they were on sale, and would slice them
horizontally and put lemon pie filling between the layers and whipped
cream on the top and sides. It always went over well.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

On 11/02/2012 6:13 PM, Polly Esther wrote:

I just baked one of the Betty Crocker angel food cakes. Never one to
leave well enough alone, I used orange juice instead of water and just a
teaspoon of orange flavoring. Good enough to eat. Polly

I might suggest lemon. When I was a kid my mother often made angel food
cakes, or bought them if they were on sale, and would slice them
horizontally and put lemon pie filling between the layers and whipped
cream on the top and sides. It always went over well.

Around here, people like to serve the angel food cake plain or with a
simple white frosting. But...They also serve a cinnamon syrup which is
poured over the slice of cake.

--
Mike
http://www.facebook.com/groups/mikes.place.bar/
Old 12-02-2012, 12:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

(Judy Haffner) wrote:

Growing up my mother never used a cake mix, and I can remember her
making angel food cakes from scratch, which was a real "act of love".
When I first got married, I followed in her footsteps and continued to
make mine from scratch too. They were total perfection....high, light
and tender, but for the past several years, I have used a box mix, and
still achieve the same results, although perhaps I have forgotten if the
flavor of homemade wasn't better? They really have the mix down-pat and
is just SO easy to do, and always fool proof.

I do. I don't make it often-- but when I go on an ice cream making
jag, I often end up making an angel food cake to use up the whites.
[I don't use cake flour- but 84g AP & 15g cornstarch per cup]

My wife picked up a mini-cake pan that makes 6 little cakes. They're
fun during strawberry season.
-snip-

I thought of this today, because I bought a Betty Crocker angel food mix
at the store for a dessert I am going to make for a potluck this week.

Just curious- how many egg whites does it take?

I have 2 recipes- one takes 1 cup of whites [8-10 eggs], the other
takes 1 1/2 cups.

Can't say I like either better than the other-- I use whichever one
feels right that day.

Jim

Old 12-02-2012, 01:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim wrote:

Just curious- how many egg whites does
it take?

I have 2 recipes- one takes 1 cup of
whites [8-10 eggs], the other takes 1 1/2
cups.

Can't say I like either better than the
other-- I use whichever one
feels right that day.

If you are referring to the cake mix, it doesn't call for eggs. You only
add water and beat 1 minute, after it's moistened.

When I would make them myself, I used a dozen eggs, and always held my
breath that the separation of the whites and yolks were perfect, as one
teeny drop of egg yolk in with the whites..a person is "sunk" for
having them whip up properly and achieving 100% success.

Judy

Old 12-02-2012, 01:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike Muth wrote:

Around here, people like to serve the
angel food cake plain or with a simple
white frosting. But...They also serve a
cinnamon syrup which is poured over
the slice of cake.

I sometimes like a slice with strawberries over it with a spoon of real
whipped cream.

Mom use to make a topping with whipping cream and cocoa to serve on
angel food cake, and that was yummy also.

My hubby has to watch his blood sugar, but that's one cake he can have
without it raising his blood sugar way up.

Judy

Old 12-02-2012, 01:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

I might suggest lemon. When I was a kid
my mother often made angel food
cakes, or bought them if they were on
sale, and would slice them horizontally
and put lemon pie filling between the
layers and whipped cream on the top
and sides. It always went over well.

Lemon improves the flavor of anything, IMO. I use to make Lemon Chiffon
Cakes and they were to die for, and also love pound cakes with lemon.
Lemon Pie is my most favorite pie of all, as it just can't be beat in my
book, when it's made from scratch with meringue piled high and standing
in peaks on it, and then browned till the tips of the peaks are golden.
Yum!

Judy

Old 12-02-2012, 01:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 1:56*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
[...]

I have never used a mix!
Old 12-02-2012, 01:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 00:12:30 +0000 (UTC), Mike Muth
wrote:

Around here, people like to serve the angel food cake plain or with a
simple white frosting. But...They also serve a cinnamon syrup which is
poured over the slice of cake.

The fanciest we do is sweetened strawberries, although that lemon pie
filling made me think of lemon curd... and you know how that goes.
Practically everything is good with angel food cake.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

It's been a few years since I've made one but the last time I made an
angel food cake was the last time I ate an angel food cake. The store
bought ones just can't compare. The trick is not to overbeat the egg
whites. If the whites are over whipped the cake will collapse in the
oven and you'll end up with a angel food pound cake. If you can turn
the bowl upside-down and the whites don't slide out then they're
ready. If you beat the eggs to the point where they start to lump and
look curdled then you've gone too far.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 7:16*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:

When I would make them myself, I used a dozen eggs, and always held my
breath that the separation of the whites and yolks were perfect, as one
teeny drop of egg *yolk in with the whites..a person is "sunk" for
having them whip up properly and achieving 100% success.

Judy

An egg separator or even a slotted spoon is great for separating the
yolks from the whites if you're fearful of yolks landing in your
whites. If each egg is separated into a small bowl then that white
added to your mixing bowl would calm your apprehension over yolks
getting into the whites. This also gives you a chance to look at each
broken egg to make sure it doesn't look 'off.' The yolks would go
into another bowl to be used for something else.

I've seen people separate the eggs while holding the yolk in their
hand while the white oozes through the fingers. I'm not into that
method myself and use either a separator or slotted spoon.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Judy wrote:

Growing up my mother never used a cake mix, and I can remember her
making angel food cakes from scratch, which was a real "act of love".
When I first got married, I followed in her footsteps and continued to
make mine from scratch too. They were total perfection....high, light
and tender, but for the past several years, I have used a box mix, and
still achieve the same results, although perhaps I have forgotten if the
flavor of homemade wasn't better? They really have the mix down-pat and
is just SO easy to do, and always fool proof.

My opinion is that angel food cake is the most flavorless cake in the
world, regardless of whether it's made from scratch or made from a mix.

Bob