FoodBanter.com

-   -   Does Anyone Still Make Angel Food Cakes From "Scratch"? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/415497-does-anyone-still-make.html)

Judy Haffner 11-02-2012 10:56 PM

Does Anyone Still Make Angel Food Cakes From "Scratch"?

Growing up my mother never used a cake mix, and I can remember her
making angel food cakes from scratch, which was a real "act of love".
When I first got married, I followed in her footsteps and continued to
make mine from scratch too. They were total perfection....high, light
and tender, but for the past several years, I have used a box mix, and
still achieve the same results, although perhaps I have forgotten if the
flavor of homemade wasn't better? They really have the mix down-pat and
is just SO easy to do, and always fool proof.

It took me YEARS to stoop so low as to even purchase my first cake mix
(LOL) and now I use them often, though still prefer the flavor and
texture of homemade.

I use to be able to find the confetti angel cake mixes and also a
chocolate swirl flavor, but I haven't in a very long time now, and wish
they wouldn't have done away with them.

I thought of this today, because I bought a Betty Crocker angel food mix
at the store for a dessert I am going to make for a potluck this week. I
have to cut it up in cubes and fold into other ingredients, so wouldn't
want to have to go through all the time and energy to make a cake from
scratch anyway, only to "butcher" it.

Judy

Polly Esther[_2_] 12-02-2012 12:13 AM

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> Growing up my mother never used a cake mix, and I can remember her
> making angel food cakes from scratch, which was a real "act of love".
> When I first got married, I followed in her footsteps and continued to
> make mine from scratch too. They were total perfection....high, light
> and tender, but for the past several years, I have used a box mix, and
> still achieve the same results, although perhaps I have forgotten if the
> flavor of homemade wasn't better? They really have the mix down-pat and
> is just SO easy to do, and always fool proof.
>
> It took me YEARS to stoop so low as to even purchase my first cake mix
> (LOL) and now I use them often, though still prefer the flavor and
> texture of homemade.
>
> I use to be able to find the confetti angel cake mixes and also a
> chocolate swirl flavor, but I haven't in a very long time now, and wish
> they wouldn't have done away with them.
>
> I thought of this today, because I bought a Betty Crocker angel food mix
> at the store for a dessert I am going to make for a potluck this week. I
> have to cut it up in cubes and fold into other ingredients, so wouldn't
> want to have to go through all the time and energy to make a cake from
> scratch anyway, only to "butcher" it.
>
> Judy

I just baked one of the Betty Crocker angel food cakes. Never one to leave
well enough alone, I used orange juice instead of water and just a teaspoon
of orange flavoring. Good enough to eat. Polly

Dave Smith[_1_] 12-02-2012 12:30 AM

On 11/02/2012 6:13 PM, Polly Esther wrote:

> I just baked one of the Betty Crocker angel food cakes. Never one to
> leave well enough alone, I used orange juice instead of water and just a
> teaspoon of orange flavoring. Good enough to eat. Polly

I might suggest lemon. When I was a kid my mother often made angel food
cakes, or bought them if they were on sale, and would slice them
horizontally and put lemon pie filling between the layers and whipped
cream on the top and sides. It always went over well.

Mike Muth 12-02-2012 01:12 AM

Dave Smith > wrote:

> On 11/02/2012 6:13 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
>

>> I just baked one of the Betty Crocker angel food cakes. Never one to
>> leave well enough alone, I used orange juice instead of water and just a
>> teaspoon of orange flavoring. Good enough to eat. Polly

> I might suggest lemon. When I was a kid my mother often made angel food
> cakes, or bought them if they were on sale, and would slice them
> horizontally and put lemon pie filling between the layers and whipped
> cream on the top and sides. It always went over well.

Around here, people like to serve the angel food cake plain or with a
simple white frosting. But...They also serve a cinnamon syrup which is
poured over the slice of cake.

--
Mike
http://www.facebook.com/groups/mikes.place.bar/

Jim Elbrecht 12-02-2012 01:15 AM

(Judy Haffner) wrote:

>Growing up my mother never used a cake mix, and I can remember her
>making angel food cakes from scratch, which was a real "act of love".
>When I first got married, I followed in her footsteps and continued to
>make mine from scratch too. They were total perfection....high, light
>and tender, but for the past several years, I have used a box mix, and
>still achieve the same results, although perhaps I have forgotten if the
>flavor of homemade wasn't better? They really have the mix down-pat and
>is just SO easy to do, and always fool proof.

I do. I don't make it often-- but when I go on an ice cream making
jag, I often end up making an angel food cake to use up the whites.
[I don't use cake flour- but 84g AP & 15g cornstarch per cup]

My wife picked up a mini-cake pan that makes 6 little cakes. They're
fun during strawberry season.
-snip-

>I thought of this today, because I bought a Betty Crocker angel food mix
>at the store for a dessert I am going to make for a potluck this week.

Just curious- how many egg whites does it take?

I have 2 recipes- one takes 1 cup of whites [8-10 eggs], the other
takes 1 1/2 cups.

Can't say I like either better than the other-- I use whichever one
feels right that day.

Jim

Judy Haffner 12-02-2012 02:16 AM

Jim wrote:

>Just curious- how many egg whites does
> it take?

>I have 2 recipes- one takes 1 cup of
> whites [8-10 eggs], the other takes 1 1/2
> cups.

>Can't say I like either better than the
> other-- I use whichever one
>feels right that day.

If you are referring to the cake mix, it doesn't call for eggs. You only
add water and beat 1 minute, after it's moistened.

When I would make them myself, I used a dozen eggs, and always held my
breath that the separation of the whites and yolks were perfect, as one
teeny drop of egg yolk in with the whites..a person is "sunk" for
having them whip up properly and achieving 100% success.

Judy

Judy Haffner 12-02-2012 02:19 AM

Mike Muth wrote:

>Around here, people like to serve the
> angel food cake plain or with a simple
> white frosting. But...They also serve a
> cinnamon syrup which is poured over
> the slice of cake.

I sometimes like a slice with strawberries over it with a spoon of real
whipped cream.

Mom use to make a topping with whipping cream and cocoa to serve on
angel food cake, and that was yummy also.

My hubby has to watch his blood sugar, but that's one cake he can have
without it raising his blood sugar way up.

Judy

Judy Haffner 12-02-2012 02:25 AM

Dave Smith wrote:

>I might suggest lemon. When I was a kid
> my mother often made angel food
> cakes, or bought them if they were on
> sale, and would slice them horizontally
> and put lemon pie filling between the
> layers and whipped cream on the top
> and sides. It always went over well.

Lemon improves the flavor of anything, IMO. I use to make Lemon Chiffon
Cakes and they were to die for, and also love pound cakes with lemon.
Lemon Pie is my most favorite pie of all, as it just can't be beat in my
book, when it's made from scratch with meringue piled high and standing
in peaks on it, and then browned till the tips of the peaks are golden.
Yum!

Judy

merryb 12-02-2012 02:27 AM

On Feb 11, 1:56*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> Growing up my mother never used a cake mix, and I can remember her
> making angel food cakes from scratch, which was a real "act of love".
> When I first got married, I followed in her footsteps and continued to
> make mine from scratch too. They were total perfection....high, light
> and tender, but for the past several years, I have used a box mix, and
> still achieve the same results, although perhaps I have forgotten if the
> flavor of homemade wasn't better? They really have the mix down-pat and
> is just SO easy to do, and always fool proof.
>
> It took me YEARS to stoop so low as to even purchase my first cake mix
> (LOL) and now I use them often, though still prefer the flavor and
> texture of homemade.
>
> I use to be able to find the confetti angel cake mixes and also a
> chocolate swirl flavor, but I haven't in a very long time now, and wish
> they wouldn't have done away with them.
>
> I thought of this today, because I bought a Betty Crocker angel food mix
> at the store for a dessert I am going to make for a potluck this week. I
> have to cut it up in cubes and fold into other ingredients, so wouldn't
> want to have to go through all the time and energy to make a cake from
> scratch anyway, only to "butcher" it.
>
> Judy

I have never used a mix!

sf[_9_] 12-02-2012 02:36 AM

Does Anyone Still Make Angel Food Cakes From "Scratch"?

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 00:12:30 +0000 (UTC), Mike Muth
> wrote:

> Around here, people like to serve the angel food cake plain or with a
> simple white frosting. But...They also serve a cinnamon syrup which is
> poured over the slice of cake.

The fanciest we do is sweetened strawberries, although that lemon pie
filling made me think of lemon curd... and you know how that goes.
Practically everything is good with angel food cake.

sf[_9_] 12-02-2012 02:46 AM

Does Anyone Still Make Angel Food Cakes From "Scratch"?

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 16:25:04 -0900, (Judy Haffner)
wrote:

> Lemon improves the flavor of anything, IMO. I use to make Lemon Chiffon
> Cakes and they were to die for, and also love pound cakes with lemon.
> Lemon Pie is my most favorite pie of all, as it just can't be beat in my
> book, when it's made from scratch with meringue piled high and standing
> in peaks on it, and then browned till the tips of the peaks are golden.
> Yum!

All of the above are great, you've just made me hungry. :)

[email protected] 12-02-2012 02:48 AM

Does Anyone Still Make Angel Food Cakes From "Scratch"?

It's been a few years since I've made one but the last time I made an
angel food cake was the last time I ate an angel food cake. The store
bought ones just can't compare. The trick is not to overbeat the egg
whites. If the whites are over whipped the cake will collapse in the
oven and you'll end up with a angel food pound cake. If you can turn
the bowl upside-down and the whites don't slide out then they're
ready. If you beat the eggs to the point where they start to lump and
look curdled then you've gone too far.

itsjoannotjoann 12-02-2012 03:17 AM

On Feb 11, 7:16*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:

> When I would make them myself, I used a dozen eggs, and always held my
> breath that the separation of the whites and yolks were perfect, as one
> teeny drop of egg *yolk in with the whites..a person is "sunk" for
> having them whip up properly and achieving 100% success.
>
> Judy

An egg separator or even a slotted spoon is great for separating the
yolks from the whites if you're fearful of yolks landing in your
whites. If each egg is separated into a small bowl then that white
added to your mixing bowl would calm your apprehension over yolks
getting into the whites. This also gives you a chance to look at each
broken egg to make sure it doesn't look 'off.' The yolks would go
into another bowl to be used for something else.

I've seen people separate the eggs while holding the yolk in their
hand while the white oozes through the fingers. I'm not into that
method myself and use either a separator or slotted spoon.

Judy Haffner 12-02-2012 04:50 AM

wrote:

>It's been a few years since I've made
> one but the last time I made an angel
> food cake was the last time I ate an
> angel food cake. The store bought ones
> just can't compare. The trick is not to
> overbeat the egg whites. If the whites
> are over whipped the cake will collapse
> in the oven and you'll end up with a
> angel food pound cake. If you can turn
> the bowl upside-down and the whites
> don't slide out then they're ready. If you
> beat the eggs to the point where they
> start to lump and look curdled then
> you've gone too far.

OMG, the commercial already made angel food cakes in stores are
terrible....tough and tasteless, and like eating styrofoam!

Yes, two important things a person does NOT want to do, is overbeat the
egg whites till they are dry, and to turn the cake upside down
immediately when it comes from the oven, and let hang till cold before
removing.

Judy

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 12-02-2012 05:02 AM

Judy wrote:

> Growing up my mother never used a cake mix, and I can remember her
> making angel food cakes from scratch, which was a real "act of love".
> When I first got married, I followed in her footsteps and continued to
> make mine from scratch too. They were total perfection....high, light
> and tender, but for the past several years, I have used a box mix, and
> still achieve the same results, although perhaps I have forgotten if the
> flavor of homemade wasn't better? They really have the mix down-pat and
> is just SO easy to do, and always fool proof.

My opinion is that angel food cake is the most flavorless cake in the
world, regardless of whether it's made from scratch or made from a mix.

Bob

pamjd[_2_] 12-02-2012 05:15 AM

Does Anyone Still Make Angel Food Cakes From "Scratch"?

I add cake decorating sprinkles to make my angels have confetti.
Works good for us. My only prolbem with making them from scratch all
the time is what to so withthe 12 yolks?

Bryan[_6_] 12-02-2012 05:16 AM

On Feb 11, 3:56*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> Growing up my mother never used a cake mix, and I can remember her
> making angel food cakes from scratch, which was a real "act of love".
> When I first got married, I followed in her footsteps and continued to
> make mine from scratch too. They were total perfection....high, light
> and tender, but for the past several years, I have used a box mix, and
> still achieve the same results, although perhaps I have forgotten if the
> flavor of homemade wasn't better? They really have the mix down-pat and
> is just SO easy to do, and always fool proof.
>
> It took me YEARS to stoop so low as to even purchase my first cake mix
> (LOL) and now I use them often, though still prefer the flavor and
> texture of homemade.
>
> I use to be able to find the confetti angel cake mixes and also a
> chocolate swirl flavor, but I haven't in a very long time now, and wish
> they wouldn't have done away with them.
>
> I thought of this today, because I bought a Betty Crocker angel food mix
> at the store for a dessert I am going to make for a potluck this week. I
> have to cut it up in cubes and fold into other ingredients, so wouldn't
> want to have to go through all the time and energy to make a cake from
> scratch anyway, only to "butcher" it.

My wife never uses cake mixes. Angelfood is one of the uses for
leftover egg whites, which any cook is likely to end up with.
Meringue is another.

> Judy

--Bryan

dsi1[_15_] 12-02-2012 07:18 AM

On 2/11/2012 3:16 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> Jim wrote:
>
>> Just curious- how many egg whites does
>> it take?

>> I have 2 recipes- one takes 1 cup of
>> whites [8-10 eggs], the other takes 1 1/2
>> cups.

>> Can't say I like either better than the
>> other-- I use whichever one
>> feels right that day.

> If you are referring to the cake mix, it doesn't call for eggs. You only
> add water and beat 1 minute, after it's moistened.
>
> When I would make them myself, I used a dozen eggs, and always held my
> breath that the separation of the whites and yolks were perfect, as one
> teeny drop of egg yolk in with the whites..a person is "sunk" for
> having them whip up properly and achieving 100% success.
>
> Judy

I haven't made that cake since I graduated from high school. I used to
make it a lot but the truth is that it wasn't that good anyway. I have
made it using a mix - it was kind of magical mix that would foam up by
itself. It's a simple cake to make. The most notable thing about it is
that you use no oil.

Anyway, angel food cake seems like such a 50s - 60s kind of thing to do.
I doubt very many people make it these days.

Lou decruss 12-02-2012 07:45 AM

Does Anyone Still Make Angel Food Cakes From "Scratch"?

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 20:18:13 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>Anyway, angel food cake seems like such a 50s - 60s kind of thing to do.
>I doubt very many people make it these days.

Resale stores always have the pans for a buck or two so you're
probably right.

Lou

Judy Haffner 12-02-2012 08:09 AM

Bob wrote:

>My opinion is that angel food cake is the
> most flavorless cake in the world,
> regardless of whether it's made from
> scratch or made from a mix.

You sound like my youngest son, who has never cared for it...said it's
like eating tasteless air! :))

As far as the flavor goes, there are so many ways to serve it....various
toppings, and can add other ingredients to the mix, such as a can of
lemon pie filling and that makes a delightful cake.

I mostly use it for different desserts, where cube it up and add it to
other things, such as this week, am beating together powdered sugar and
cream cheese and folding in whipped cream (also some vanilla) and then a
angel cake cubed up, and putting it in a 9 x 13" dish and spreading a
can of cherry pie filling over it, to which I have added some almond
extract,

The ideas for using this type of cake are endless.

Judy

Judy Haffner 12-02-2012 08:16 AM

dsi1 wrote:

>Anyway, angel food cake seems like
> such a 50s - 60s kind of thing to do. I
> doubt very many people make it these
> days.

Oh, goodness no, or at least people are still use the 1-step mix, as I
myself use it often, and so do the women that belong to a community
service club I'm a member of. Several have to watch their sugar intake
and can eat angel cake. We take turns bringing refreshments to the
meetings twice a month, and that is something that is fixed different
ways and brought fairly often, always to be enjoyed.

Cakes like that never have a expiration date, IMO.

Judy

Julie Bove[_2_] 12-02-2012 08:59 AM

Does Anyone Still Make Angel Food Cakes From "Scratch"?

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> Growing up my mother never used a cake mix, and I can remember her
> making angel food cakes from scratch, which was a real "act of love".
> When I first got married, I followed in her footsteps and continued to
> make mine from scratch too. They were total perfection....high, light
> and tender, but for the past several years, I have used a box mix, and
> still achieve the same results, although perhaps I have forgotten if the
> flavor of homemade wasn't better? They really have the mix down-pat and
> is just SO easy to do, and always fool proof.
>
> It took me YEARS to stoop so low as to even purchase my first cake mix
> (LOL) and now I use them often, though still prefer the flavor and
> texture of homemade.
>
> I use to be able to find the confetti angel cake mixes and also a
> chocolate swirl flavor, but I haven't in a very long time now, and wish
> they wouldn't have done away with them.
>
> I thought of this today, because I bought a Betty Crocker angel food mix
> at the store for a dessert I am going to make for a potluck this week. I
> have to cut it up in cubes and fold into other ingredients, so wouldn't
> want to have to go through all the time and energy to make a cake from
> scratch anyway, only to "butcher" it.

I have never made one. I remember my mom making one once or twice. Most
likely she used a mix because she didn't usually make cakes from scratch.
Our family was not big on cake eating.

dsi1[_15_] 12-02-2012 09:03 AM

On 2/11/2012 9:16 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> dsi1 wrote:
>
>> Anyway, angel food cake seems like
>> such a 50s - 60s kind of thing to do. I
>> doubt very many people make it these
>> days.

> Oh, goodness no, or at least people are still use the 1-step mix, as I
> myself use it often, and so do the women that belong to a community
> service club I'm a member of. Several have to watch their sugar intake
> and can eat angel cake. We take turns bringing refreshments to the
> meetings twice a month, and that is something that is fixed different
> ways and brought fairly often, always to be enjoyed.
>
> Cakes like that never have a expiration date, IMO.
>
> Judy

It makes sense that certain areas of the country still makes these cakes
and I suppose that angel food cake could become really popular again one
of these days. I only made the 1-step mix once. The recipe on the box
didn't make any sense to me because there was no beaten egg whites to
whip up. It was a big surprise when that mix turned into foam. A neat
trick! All the other mixes that I used had a package of powdered egg
white that you'd whip up.

Now that I think about it, angel food cake is one of the few cakes that
could take being made without any sugar just fine. The funny thing is
that even though I made a lot of angel food cakes, I don't recall liking
it very much. I would have probably liked a chiffon cake better but for
some reason, I don't recall ever having made one. Ha ha, that was pretty
dumb of me.

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 12-02-2012 09:28 AM

Does Anyone Still Make Angel Food Cakes From "Scratch"?

Judy replied:

>> My opinion is that angel food cake is the
>> most flavorless cake in the world,
>> regardless of whether it's made from
>> scratch or made from a mix.

> You sound like my youngest son, who has never cared for it...said it's
> like eating tasteless air! :))
>
> As far as the flavor goes, there are so many ways to serve it....various
> toppings, and can add other ingredients to the mix, such as a can of
> lemon pie filling and that makes a delightful cake.

Sure, you can *add* flavor. But most cakes don't need to have flavor added.

Bob

Jim Elbrecht 12-02-2012 01:16 PM

Does Anyone Still Make Angel Food Cakes From "Scratch"?

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 20:02:30 -0800, Bob Terwilliger
> wrote:

>Judy wrote:
>
>> Growing up my mother never used a cake mix, and I can remember her
>> making angel food cakes from scratch, which was a real "act of love".
>> When I first got married, I followed in her footsteps and continued to
>> make mine from scratch too. They were total perfection....high, light
>> and tender, but for the past several years, I have used a box mix, and
>> still achieve the same results, although perhaps I have forgotten if the
>> flavor of homemade wasn't better? They really have the mix down-pat and
>> is just SO easy to do, and always fool proof.

>My opinion is that angel food cake is the most flavorless cake in the
>world, regardless of whether it's made from scratch or made from a mix.

The low-key flavor, to me, is the point, making it a perfect vehicle
for a whole bunch of yummy toppings. [it soaks up a *lot* of
strawberry juice and doesn't turn to mush]

But we still like the mini-cakes because there is more 'crust'. When I
do the big ones a lot gets sliced and toasted.

I guess I've just been lucky. I can't remember having any trouble
with them flopping. [with either recipe-- one from the King Arthur
site, and the other that came with my mini-pans.]

Jim

z z 12-02-2012 03:17 PM

Does Anyone Still Make Angel Food Cakes From "Scratch"?

Mom always made one for our birthday so to me its always been a birthday
cake-always made in an angel food cake pan which would then be inverted
on top of a glass bottle to cool-very mysterious to a child. Mom would
make a very thin sugar glaze to coat it that would dry on the cake. I
think the glaze was the part I liked lol. I have had angelfood plain
with whipped cream and its just too dry for me. Today I would like it
best chopped up and a parfait made with it. I am thinking cake pecans
caramel ice cream sauce and bananas?

Brooklyn1 12-02-2012 04:57 PM

pamjd wrote:

>I add cake decorating sprinkles to make my angels have confetti.
>Works good for us. My only prolbem with making them from scratch all
>the time is what to so withthe 12 yolks?

Freeze them.

Yellow cakes of course, and challah

Most baked goods won't miss the whites

Meat loaf

Egg wash & breading

Most every recipe that calls for eggs won't miss the whites.

Use your imagination. Whole egg yolks are excellent poached in
chicken soup.

Brooklyn1 12-02-2012 04:59 PM

Does Anyone Still Make Angel Food Cakes From "Scratch"?

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 22:16:53 -0900, (Judy Haffner)
wrote:

>dsi1 wrote:
>
>>Anyway, angel food cake seems like
>> such a 50s - 60s kind of thing to do. I
>> doubt very many people make it these
>> days.

>Oh, goodness no, or at least people are still use the 1-step mix, as I
>myself use it often, and so do the women that belong to a community
>service club I'm a member of. Several have to watch their sugar intake
>and can eat angel cake. We take turns bringing refreshments to the
>meetings twice a month, and that is something that is fixed different
>ways and brought fairly often, always to be enjoyed.
>
>Cakes like that never have a expiration date, IMO.
>
>Judy

They certainly do have an expiration date right on the package, first
thing to expire is the baking powder.

merryb 12-02-2012 07:26 PM

On Feb 11, 6:17*pm, ItsJoanNotJoann > wrote:
> On Feb 11, 7:16*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
>
> > When I would make them myself, I used a dozen eggs, and always held my
> > breath that the separation of the whites and yolks were perfect, as one
> > teeny drop of egg *yolk in with the whites..a person is "sunk" for
> > having them whip up properly and achieving 100% success.

> > Judy

> An egg separator or even a slotted spoon is great for separating the
> yolks from the whites if you're fearful of yolks landing in your
> whites. *If each egg is separated into a small bowl then that white
> added to your mixing bowl would calm your apprehension over yolks
> getting into the whites. *This also gives you a chance to look at each
> broken egg to make sure it doesn't look 'off.' *The yolks would go
> into another bowl to be used for something else.
>
> I've seen people separate the eggs while holding the yolk in their
> hand while the white oozes through the fingers. *I'm not into that
> method myself and use either a separator or slotted spoon.

When you use your hands like you described, you can get pretty much
all the white separated from the yolk. Your hands must be clean tho!

merryb 12-02-2012 07:27 PM

On Feb 11, 8:15*pm, pamjd > wrote:
> I add cake decorating sprinkles to make my angels have confetti.
> Works good for us. My only prolbem with making them from scratch all
> the time is what to so withthe 12 yolks?

Make custard or pudding!

Gloria P 12-02-2012 07:49 PM

On 2/12/2012 11:26 AM, merryb wrote:

> When you use your hands like you described, you can get pretty much
> all the white separated from the yolk. Your hands must be clean tho!

Your hands should be cleaned, washed well, every time you enter the kitchen.

gloria p

Kalmia 12-02-2012 08:00 PM

On Feb 11, 4:56*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> Growing up my mother never used a cake mix, and I can remember her
> making angel food cakes from scratch, which was a real "act of love".
> When I first got married,

Stop right there. The only 'act of love' for newlyweds rarely involves
cake baking. Now, as a result, somethin' else might be in the oven,
but it ain't no angelfood cake.

[email protected] 12-02-2012 08:29 PM

Does Anyone Still Make Angel Food Cakes From "Scratch"?

On Feb 11, 11:02*pm, Bob Terwilliger >
wrote:
> Judy wrote:
> > Growing up my mother never used a cake mix, and I can remember her
> > making angel food cakes from scratch, which was a real "act of love".
> > When I first got married, I followed in her footsteps and continued to
> > make mine from scratch too. They were total perfection....high, light
> > and tender, but for the past several years, I have used a box mix, and
> > still achieve the same results, although perhaps I have forgotten if the
> > flavor of homemade wasn't better? They really have the mix down-pat and
> > is just SO easy to do, and always fool proof.

> My opinion is that angel food cake is the most flavorless cake in the
> world, regardless of whether it's made from scratch or made from a mix.
>
> Bob

You've either never had a good angel food cake or you've only eaten
strongly flavored cakes, like chocolate, which makes a mild flavored
angel food cake seem tasteless. I know a woman who doesn't like
vanilla ice cream because she says it has no flavor. It does too have
flavor, as does an angel food cake.

itsjoannotjoann 12-02-2012 11:33 PM

On Feb 12, 12:26*pm, merryb > wrote:

> On Feb 11, 6:17*pm, ItsJoanNotJoann > wrote:
>

> > I've seen people separate the eggs while holding the yolk in their
> > hand while the white oozes through the fingers. *I'm not into that
> > method myself and use either a separator or slotted spoon.

> When you use your hands like you described, you can get pretty much
> all the white separated from the yolk. Your hands must be clean tho!

Yes! _Scrupulously_ clean, think of a surgeon scrubbing up before
going into the operating theater.

itsjoannotjoann 12-02-2012 11:34 PM

On Feb 12, 12:49*pm, gloria p > wrote:

> On 2/12/2012 11:26 AM, merryb wrote:
>

> > When you use your hands like you described, you can get pretty much
> > all the white separated from the yolk. Your hands must be clean tho!

> Your hands should be cleaned, washed well, every time you enter the kitchen.
>
> gloria p

True, true.

Brooklyn1 12-02-2012 11:59 PM

Does Anyone Still Make Angel Food Cakes From "Scratch"?

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 14:33:14 -0800 (PST), ItsJoanNotJoann
> wrote:

>On Feb 12, 12:26*pm, merryb > wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 11, 6:17*pm, ItsJoanNotJoann > wrote:
>>

>> > I've seen people separate the eggs while holding the yolk in their
>> > hand while the white oozes through the fingers. *I'm not into that
>> > method myself and use either a separator or slotted spoon.

>> When you use your hands like you described, you can get pretty much
>> all the white separated from the yolk. Your hands must be clean tho!
>>

>Yes! _Scrupulously_ clean, think of a surgeon scrubbing up before
>going into the operating theater.

However a perfectly fine egg separator costs under a $5.
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/kitche...arator/s216771

Lou decruss 13-02-2012 12:17 AM

Does Anyone Still Make Angel Food Cakes From "Scratch"?

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 10:27:18 -0800 (PST), merryb >
wrote:

>On Feb 11, 8:15*pm, pamjd > wrote:
>> I add cake decorating sprinkles to make my angels have confetti.
>> Works good for us. My only prolbem with making them from scratch all
>> the time is what to so withthe 12 yolks?

>Make custard or pudding!

I'd make triple yolk eggs "up" and sop up the goodness with toast.

Lou

Gloria P 13-02-2012 12:20 AM

On 2/12/2012 3:59 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> However a perfectly fine egg separator costs under a $5.
> http://www.crateandbarrel.com/kitche...arator/s216771

I agree. It's not expensive and actually nice looking, but it's another
one-use gadget to have to store. I've been separating eggs for ~60
years by passing the yolks back and forth between the shells and I don't
recall ever getting yolk in the whites.

gloria p

Brooklyn1 13-02-2012 12:33 AM

Does Anyone Still Make Angel Food Cakes From "Scratch"?

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 16:20:23 -0700, gloria p >
wrote:

>On 2/12/2012 3:59 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>

>> However a perfectly fine egg separator costs under a $5.
>> http://www.crateandbarrel.com/kitche...arator/s216771

>I agree. It's not expensive and actually nice looking, but it's another
>one-use gadget to have to store. I've been separating eggs for ~60
>years by passing the yolks back and forth between the shells and I don't
>recall ever getting yolk in the whites.

Really not a good idea to use the shells, that's a good way to
transfer salmonella from the shells... shells are supposed to have
been washed but how well is iffy. I always used a simple egg
separator, it sits on the rim of the container so requires a lot less
effort and much less chance of breaking a yolk. I can't imagine it
being a problem to store something so small... mine is in a small
zip-loc to keep clean, sits in a drawer... only gets used about once a
year but is worth it.

Kalmia 13-02-2012 01:44 AM

On Feb 12, 6:20*pm, gloria p > wrote:
> On 2/12/2012 3:59 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>

> > However a perfectly fine egg separator costs under a $5.
> >http://www.crateandbarrel.com/kitche...nsils/egg-sepa...

> I agree. *It's not expensive and actually nice looking, but it's another
> one-use gadget to have to store. *I've been separating eggs for ~60
> years by passing the yolks back and forth between the shells and I don't
> recall ever getting yolk in the whites.
>
> gloria p

My slightly spread fingers seem to suffice. Or I dump the egg into a
bowl, then fish out the yolk with a big spoon.