Posted to rec.food.cooking
Judy Haffner Judy Haffner is offline

Default Does Anyone Still Make Angel Food Cakes From "Scratch"?

Growing up my mother never used a cake mix, and I can remember her
making angel food cakes from scratch, which was a real "act of love".
When I first got married, I followed in her footsteps and continued to
make mine from scratch too. They were total perfection....high, light
and tender, but for the past several years, I have used a box mix, and
still achieve the same results, although perhaps I have forgotten if the
flavor of homemade wasn't better? They really have the mix down-pat and
is just SO easy to do, and always fool proof.

It took me YEARS to stoop so low as to even purchase my first cake mix
(LOL) and now I use them often, though still prefer the flavor and
texture of homemade.

I use to be able to find the confetti angel cake mixes and also a
chocolate swirl flavor, but I haven't in a very long time now, and wish
they wouldn't have done away with them.

I thought of this today, because I bought a Betty Crocker angel food mix
at the store for a dessert I am going to make for a potluck this week. I
have to cut it up in cubes and fold into other ingredients, so wouldn't
want to have to go through all the time and energy to make a cake from
scratch anyway, only to "butcher" it.

Judy