Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What Can I Do With Partial Can Of Sweetened Condensed Milk?

Yesterday I opened a can of Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk, as was
making slice & bake cookies that called for 1/8 cup of that type of
milk, and so now I have this 14 oz. can in the refrigerator, minus that
amount. It costs over $3 a can here now, so I hate to just throw it out,
but all the recipes I can recollect using it for, call for the entire
can, so does anyone know of something I could make to use up the
remainder?

Thanks for any ideas!

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 30, 12:41*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> Yesterday I opened a can of Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk, as was
> making slice & bake cookies that called for 1/8 cup of that type of
> milk, and so now I have this 14 oz. can in the refrigerator, minus that
> amount. It costs over $3 a can here now, so I hate to just throw it out,
> but all the recipes I can recollect using it for, call for the entire
> can, so does anyone know of something I could make to use up the
> remainder?
>
> Thanks for any ideas!
>
> Judy

Individual Key Lime tarts?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Put it in your coffee?

Not my thing, but some people dig it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/30/2011 11:41 AM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> Yesterday I opened a can of Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk, as was
> making slice& bake cookies that called for 1/8 cup of that type of
> milk, and so now I have this 14 oz. can in the refrigerator, minus that
> amount. It costs over $3 a can here now, so I hate to just throw it out,
> but all the recipes I can recollect using it for, call for the entire
> can, so does anyone know of something I could make to use up the
> remainder?
>
> Thanks for any ideas!
>
> Judy

Do you have some sweetened, flaked coconut? Mix it with the canned milk
until you can form small balls. Bake them until they begin to turn
golden. You can top the macaroons with a half of a candied cherry if you
have them.

--

Janet Wilder
Posting from the Netbaby
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/30/2011 10:41 AM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> Yesterday I opened a can of Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk, as was
> making slice& bake cookies that called for 1/8 cup of that type of
> milk, and so now I have this 14 oz. can in the refrigerator, minus that
> amount. It costs over $3 a can here now, so I hate to just throw it out,
> but all the recipes I can recollect using it for, call for the entire
> can, so does anyone know of something I could make to use up the
> remainder?

More cookies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/30/2011 10:41 AM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> Yesterday I opened a can of Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk, as was
> making slice& bake cookies that called for 1/8 cup of that type of
> milk, and so now I have this 14 oz. can in the refrigerator, minus that
> amount. It costs over $3 a can here now, so I hate to just throw it out,
> but all the recipes I can recollect using it for, call for the entire
> can, so does anyone know of something I could make to use up the
> remainder?
>
> Thanks for any ideas!
>
> Judy

Most any recipe you have for a whole can won't suffer much from
1/8 cup (2 Tbsp?) less of the milk. Youc an always add 1/8 cup of milk
or other liquid to make up the deficit.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> can, so does anyone know of something I could make to use up the
> remainder?

I refrain from replying for obvious reasons..

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Judy Haffner wrote:
> Yesterday I opened a can of Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk, as was
> making slice & bake cookies that called for 1/8 cup of that type of
> milk, and so now I have this 14 oz. can in the refrigerator, minus that
> amount. It costs over $3 a can here now, so I hate to just throw it out,
> but all the recipes I can recollect using it for, call for the entire
> can, so does anyone know of something I could make to use up the
> remainder?
>
> Thanks for any ideas!
>
> Judy

You could transform it into dulce de leche, obviously not using
the boiled can method.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 08:41:34 -0800, Judy Haffner wrote:
>
> > Yesterday I opened a can of Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk, as was
> > making slice & bake cookies that called for 1/8 cup of that type of
> > milk, and so now I have this 14 oz. can in the refrigerator, minus that
> > amount. It costs over $3 a can here now, so I hate to just throw it out,

[snip]

> I buy the 5oz cans of a store brand for $.53 to make my fudge. $3
> seems awfully steep.

My wife wants to move to Alaska. That's one of the reasons I wouldn't
want to move there. Everything, but especially food, is more expensive.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Judy Haffner wrote:

> Yesterday I opened a can of Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk, as was
> making slice & bake cookies that called for 1/8 cup of that type of
> milk, and so now I have this 14 oz. can in the refrigerator, minus that
> amount. It costs over $3 a can here now, so I hate to just throw it out,
> but all the recipes I can recollect using it for, call for the entire
> can, so does anyone know of something I could make to use up the
> remainder?
>
> Thanks for any ideas!
>
> Judy

Hot fudge. In a heavy saucepan melt two squares of unsweetened baking
chocolate, add the can (or most of a can) of sweetened condensed milk.
Heat and stir until evenly blended. Apply to your sundae, banana split,
etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Judy Haffner wrote:
>>
>> Yesterday I opened a can of Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk, as was
>> making slice & bake cookies that called for 1/8 cup of that type of
>> milk, and so now I have this 14 oz. can in the refrigerator, minus that
>> amount. It costs over $3 a can here now, so I hate to just throw it out,
>> but all the recipes I can recollect using it for, call for the entire
>> can, so does anyone know of something I could make to use up the
>> remainder?
>>
>> Thanks for any ideas!

I frequently use it in Jello 'Cook' pudding mixes. Makes chocolate pudding
(with vanilla wafers) or vanilla pudding (with bananas) just a little richer
and sweeter. Since I use fat-free milk, the addition of 'some' condensed
milk helps. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/30/2011 2:18 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 08:41:34 -0800, Judy Haffner wrote:
>
>> Yesterday I opened a can of Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk, as was
>> making slice& bake cookies that called for 1/8 cup of that type of
>> milk, and so now I have this 14 oz. can in the refrigerator, minus that
>> amount. It costs over $3 a can here now, so I hate to just throw it out,
>> but all the recipes I can recollect using it for, call for the entire
>> can, so does anyone know of something I could make to use up the
>> remainder?

> For 2 tablespoons of milk I wouldn't even have bothered opening the
> can. I would have used regular milk and a pat of butter, or
> something.
>
> I buy the 5oz cans of a store brand for $.53 to make my fudge. $3
> seems awfully steep.

I found them yesterday at the same size, 14 oz, for 3/$4. I only bought
one because I just want to have it on hand for a recipe at whim. Same
with evap milk.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30/10/2011 12:41 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> Yesterday I opened a can of Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk, as was
> making slice& bake cookies that called for 1/8 cup of that type of
> milk, and so now I have this 14 oz. can in the refrigerator, minus that
> amount. It costs over $3 a can here now, so I hate to just throw it out,
> but all the recipes I can recollect using it for, call for the entire
> can, so does anyone know of something I could make to use up the
> remainder?

Take this recipe and adjust by whatever to match proportions of the
remainder of the SCM

I can SCM
pint cream
4 eggs
1 Tbsp chocolate syrup
10 oz Irish whisky (or any whisky)

Put it in a blender and whizz it all together.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 10:04:54 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> On Oct 30, 12:41*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> > Yesterday I opened a can of Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk, as was
> > making slice & bake cookies that called for 1/8 cup of that type of
> > milk, and so now I have this 14 oz. can in the refrigerator, minus that
> > amount. It costs over $3 a can here now, so I hate to just throw it out,
> > but all the recipes I can recollect using it for, call for the entire
> > can, so does anyone know of something I could make to use up the
> > remainder?
> >
> > Thanks for any ideas!
> >
> > Judy

> Individual Key Lime tarts?

Great idea! So little SCM has been used, she can make just about any
recipe that calls for a full can - like these recipes

Coconut-Pecan Swirl Brownies
posted by koko to rfc 3-1-11
http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...-brownies.html

Grilled Bananas: Platanos Asados - Recipe courtesy Alejandro Ramirez
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html

Easy Flan
http://mexicanfood.about.com/od/swee...r/easyflan.htm

The Easiest Hot Fudge Sauce You'll Ever Make
Posted by Barb Schaller to rfc 12-10-2010
http://www.cookingjunkies.com/rec-fo...ake-40290.html
If anyone wants to find the Google groups url to post, fine - I used
too much time and got nowhere.

Make your own Irish Cream

4 eggs
1 pint cream
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon chocolate syrup
8-10 oz Irish whiskey (or rye or scotch)

Put all ingredients in a blender and give it a good whiz.

Use your homemade Irish Cream in this
Duck Fart (drink recipe)
http://www.chow.com/recipes/13717-duck-fart

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

phaeton wrote:

>Put it in your coffee?

>Not my thing, but some people dig it.

That was the first thing I thought of too, but I always use a little
fat-free half & half, and the sweetened condensed seems too rich, and
also would add sweetness to the coffee, so don't think I'd care for
that.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:

>Do you have some sweetened, flaked
> coconut? Mix it with the canned milk
> until you can form small balls. Bake
> them until they begin to turn golden.
> You can top the macaroons with a half
> of a candied cherry if you have them.

Thanks, that is a good idea, as my one granddaughter loves macaroons, so
know she'd be happy with those.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 30, 12:41*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> Yesterday I openedacan of Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk,as wasmaking slice & bake cookies that called for 1/8 cup of that type ofmilk,and sonowI have this14 oz. can in the refrigerator, minus thatamount. It costs over $3acan herenow, so I hate to just throw it out,butall the recipes I can recollect using it for, call for the entirecan, so doesanyone knowof something I could make to use up theremainder?
>
> Thanks forany ideas!

'A Moose in Love' is the name of a thoroughbred horse that runs the
major track circuit. I understand that your husband is an avid
hunter. So I'm going to talk a bit about Moose.
I was in Northern Ontario a few years back, and pulled off the road
into a small rest area. I got out of my car, and there about 20 yards
from me was a big old moose. It looked at me, and I looked at it. I
glanced away for a second or two, and when I looked back, the moose
was gone. Not a sound. Such a big animal, and not a twig disturbed
etc. It was just gone.
Around 2000, I was driving at night in Newfoundland. I was warned
about the moose. I thought that the Newfies were pulling my leg. But
that night, the woods beside the roads were packed with moose. I was
speeding, and the mounties pulled me over and warned me. The one
officer told me that the prior week, his friend while driving was
attacked by a moose. The moose ran up to his car, and slammed his
head in the back window. The head of the moose was ripped off.
Anyway, I had a moose charge me that night. It ran up to my car, but
at the last minute veered away. Whew. Close call.
Many wild animals are quiet in the bush. My first experience was with
wild Rocky Mountain Sheep. My buddies and I were muckin' about back
in the mountains behind Fernie, BC. We came upon a herd of about 10
sheep. I had my camera. I looked down to make the correct F-stops,
and shutter speeds. When I looked back, the sheep were gone. Not a
sound. Nothing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline wrote:

>More cookies.

(LOL) Yes, that would be an option alright, except one recipe makes
4-1/2 dozen, so I'd end up with enough for an army, though I suppose I
could freeze them, but don't care to make that many more of them, even
though they are a nice rich butter cookie, and I decorated them with
Halloween sprinkles.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

>For 2 tablespoons of milk I wouldn't even
> have bothered opening the can. I would
> have used regular milk and a pat of
> butter, or something.

I almost didn't, but they always say don't substitute another kind of
milk for sweetened condensed, but I'm sure I could have gotten away with
it in cookies.

>I buy the 5oz cans of a store brand for
> $.53 to make my fudge. $3
>seems awfully steep.

Never seen them in smaller cans around here..just the 14 oz. size.

Everything costs more in Alaska!

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> phaeton wrote:
>
>>Put it in your coffee?

>>Not my thing, but some people dig it.

> That was the first thing I thought of too, but I always use a little
> fat-free half & half, and the sweetened condensed seems too rich, and
> also would add sweetness to the coffee, so don't think I'd care for
> that.

When I was a child we used to spread it on bread
--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

>My wife wants to move to Alaska. That's
> one of the reasons I wouldn't want to
> move there. Everything, but especially
> food, is more expensive.

Yes, that is true, but food isn't nearly as expensive in the
Southeastern part of the state(where we live) as on up north. One can be
careful and thrifty and shop sales.

Alaska offers many benefits though, especially to seniors, as we don't
pay property taxes up to a $150,000 home, and then just a small
percentage for anything over that value. We also get one vehicle
licensed free per year, and don't pay sales tax. There is no State tax
here, or school tax, and every man, woman and child, that has been a
resident of the state, gets a Permanent Fund Dividend check from Oil
Royalties every fall. This year is amounted to $1174, but it changes
every year.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/30/2011 1:55 PM, Dan Abel wrote:

> My wife wants to move to Alaska. That's one of the reasons I wouldn't
> want to move there. Everything, but especially food, is more expensive.

After having spent more time than we were inclined to while awaiting a
new transmission for our truck, we got to meet many Alaskans.

Most of them had emmigrated there because they didn't like living in the
lower 48. Too many rules, too many people and all that. Everyone seemed
to have a story about why they hated it in the lower 48.

As my DH says, it's a state populated by disfunctionals.

There is some nice scenery up there, but If I had my choice, I'd go to
the Canadian Rockies. Much more scenery without having to travel so much
and civilized people. JMHO
--

Janet Wilder
Posting from the Netbaby
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30/10/2011 2:55 PM, Dan Abel wrote:

>> I buy the 5oz cans of a store brand for $.53 to make my fudge. $3
>> seems awfully steep.

> My wife wants to move to Alaska. That's one of the reasons I wouldn't
> want to move there. Everything, but especially food, is more expensive.

From what I have read, it is no more expensive to live in an Alaskan
city than most other US cities, though groceries etc. are more
expensive in remote areas. On the plus side... lots of high paying job,s
low state taxes and the annual state payout to residents, over $2,000
per resident per year.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>Great idea! So little SCM has been used,
>she can make just about any recipe that
> calls for a full can - like these recipes

<snipped for length>

Thanks for all the options....for sure I will check them out. I've used
SCM a lot over the years, but every recipe idea I found, or thought of,
uses a entire can of it, and wasn't sure if substituting 2 tbsp. of
another type of milk would be successful.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30/10/2011 4:40 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

> Most of them had emmigrated there because they didn't like living in the
> lower 48. Too many rules, too many people and all that. Everyone seemed
> to have a story about why they hated it in the lower 48.

Like a lot of people in western Canada. They have to adopt the hate the
east attitude to fit in socially.

> As my DH says, it's a state populated by disfunctionals.

This is the state that elected Sarah Palin. Hell, it is a state where
someone the likes of her could enter the political arena.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
m...
> On 30/10/2011 2:55 PM, Dan Abel wrote:
>

>>> I buy the 5oz cans of a store brand for $.53 to make my fudge. $3
>>> seems awfully steep.

>> My wife wants to move to Alaska. That's one of the reasons I wouldn't
>> want to move there. Everything, but especially food, is more expensive.
>>

> From what I have read, it is no more expensive to live in an Alaskan city
> than most other US cities, though groceries etc. are more expensive in
> remote areas. On the plus side... lots of high paying job,s low state
> taxes and the annual state payout to residents, over $2,000 per resident
> per year.

That is not necessarily true. I know people who moved to Alaska and were
unable to stay there because it did cost so much to live there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> My wife wants to move to Alaska. That's one of the reasons I wouldn't
> want to move there. Everything, but especially food, is more expensive.

Same argument applies to Hawaii.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 12:28:03 -0800, Judy Haffner wrote:
>
> > Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> >>For 2 tablespoons of milk I wouldn't even
> >> have bothered opening the can. I would
> >> have used regular milk and a pat of
> >> butter, or something.

> > I almost didn't, but they always say don't substitute another kind of
> > milk for sweetened condensed, but I'm sure I could have gotten away with
> > it in cookies.
> >
> >>I buy the 5oz cans of a store brand for
> >> $.53 to make my fudge. $3
> >>seems awfully steep.

> > Never seen them in smaller cans around here..just the 14 oz. size.
> >
> > Everything costs more in Alaska!

> DO you live in Alaska? Ealrier you said you live in the SE U.S.

SE *ALASKA*. That thing that looks like peninsula on some maps but
isn't.

?

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Judy Haffner wrote:
> Yesterday I opened a can of Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk, as
> was making slice & bake cookies that called for 1/8 cup of that type
> of milk, and so now I have this 14 oz. can in the refrigerator, minus
> that amount. It costs over $3 a can here now, so I hate to just throw
> it out, but all the recipes I can recollect using it for, call for
> the entire can, so does anyone know of something I could make to use
> up the remainder?
>
> Thanks for any ideas!
>
> Judy

There are some "no cook" fudge recipes out there - I'd have to ask my
wife for the details but involve things like melting chocolate chips,
adding sweetened condensed milk, some vanilla, and, well, that's it -
you pour it into something and let it cool.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose In Love wrote:

>I understand that your husband is an
> avid hunter. So I'm going to talk a bit
> about Moose. I was in Northern Ontario
> a few years back, and pulled off the
> road into a small rest area. I got out of
> my car, and there about 20 yards from
> me was a big old moose. It looked at
> me, and I looked at it. I glanced away
> for a second or two, and when I looked
> back, the moose was gone. Not a
> sound. Such a big animal, and not a
> twig disturbed etc. It was just gone.

Enjoyed hearing about your moose experiences, etc. They can really get
angry (particularly when they are in rut and wanting a lady moose (cow)
but they are very unpredictable, and can't be trusted.

My husband has shot many of them through the years, and even rescued a
newborn calf from the river near his cabin. Just a few minutes longer,
and it would have drowned. He thinks a brown bear must have gotten the
mother. We love the meat...it is much better than beef, and as I
understand it, it is the only meat that has vitamin C in it, so good for
preventing colds! )

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:

>As my DH says, it's a state populated by
> disfunctionals.

Not at all true. Just because people move to Alaska to escape the "rat
race" in the South 48, doesn't exactly make them dysfunctional. Besides
anywhere a person lives, or travels to, you're going to run into less
than civilized people and undesirables maybe.

>There is some nice scenery up there, but
> If I had my choice, I'd go to the
> Canadian Rockies. Much more scenery
> without having to travel so much and
> civilized people. JMHO

I'm not sure what part(s) of the state you were in? but the Southeastern
part of the state has abundant raw natural beauty and is truly "God's
Country". I was born and raised in the capital city of Alaska, and have
traveled to several places, but am always glad to get back home, as to
me there is no greater place in the world.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

>This is the state that elected Sarah Palin.
> Hell, it is a state where someone the
> likes of her could enter the political
> arena.

You're durn tootin' and she was one of the best governors we ever had.
We have the highest respect and great admiration for her. We have met
the whole family and they are the nicest people you would ever hope to
meet. Her Top Aide, during the time she was governor of Alaska, is my
husband's best friend and hunting partner.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>>As my DH says, it's a state populated by
>> disfunctionals.

> Not at all true. Just because people move to Alaska to escape the "rat
> race" in the South 48, doesn't exactly make them dysfunctional. Besides
> anywhere a person lives, or travels to, you're going to run into less
> than civilized people and undesirables maybe.
>
>>There is some nice scenery up there, but
>> If I had my choice, I'd go to the
>> Canadian Rockies. Much more scenery
>> without having to travel so much and
>> civilized people. JMHO

> I'm not sure what part(s) of the state you were in? but the Southeastern
> part of the state has abundant raw natural beauty and is truly "God's
> Country". I was born and raised in the capital city of Alaska, and have
> traveled to several places, but am always glad to get back home, as to
> me there is no greater place in the world.

I have never been there and really have no desire to. I have been told it
is beautiful but I am not an outdoorsy person and dislike cold weather and
especially snow and ice.

I like it best here in WA. Yes, people do tend to be outdoorsy here but we
do not usually have extremes in weather nor do we have a lot of sunshine so
for me it is doable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 30, 3:15*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> phaeton wrote:
> >Put it in your coffee?
> >Not my thing, but some people dig it.

> That was the first thing I thought of too, but I always use a little
> fat-free half & half, and the sweetened condensed seems too rich, and
> also would add sweetness to the coffee, so don't think I'd care for
> that.

What's in fat-free half & half? You are a fool. Who could be stupid
enough to pay real food prices for that crap?
YOU, Judy Haffner of WebTV.

> Judy

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

>DO you live in Alaska? Ealrier you said
> you live in the SE U.S.

I never said no such thing. I've said it several times in this group
that I live in Alaska....always have and always will. I live in the
Southeastern part of THE state.

>You're not making much sense in this
> thread. Which doesn't surprise me.

From what I've read so far, you don't make sense in ANY of the threads,
so put that in your pipe and smoke it! =:-}

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

>SE *ALASKA*. That thing that looks like
> peninsula on some maps but isn't.

Thanks, Dan...for reading and being able to comprehend. I do appreciate
your post. )

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 18:00:02 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

> On Oct 30, 3:15*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> > phaeton wrote:
> > >Put it in your coffee?
> > >Not my thing, but some people dig it.

> > That was the first thing I thought of too, but I always use a little
> > fat-free half & half, and the sweetened condensed seems too rich, and
> > also would add sweetness to the coffee, so don't think I'd care for
> > that.

> What's in fat-free half & half? You are a fool. Who could be stupid
> enough to pay real food prices for that crap?
> YOU, Judy Haffner of WebTV.

You're objecting to the carrageenan?
http://dairyspot.com/q-what-is-fat-free-half-and-half

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

>I have never been there and really have
> no desire to. I have been told it is
> beautiful but I am not an outdoorsy
> person and dislike cold weather and
> especially snow and ice.

>I like it best here in WA. Yes, people do
> tend to be outdoorsy here but we do not
> usually have extremes in weather nor do
> we have a lot of sunshine so for me it is
> doable.

That's a misconception many have about Alaska. Where we live, it is very
mild, and not near as cold as many states. We just had our first frost
last week, and no snow yet, and back East, they are dealing with PILES
of snow, power outages, etc. It rarely gets down into the teens for lows
in the winter at night, and we don't have all that much snow either. Our
summers are warm and pleasant...no humidity and no triple digit
temperatures either.

We get quite a bit of rain year around, but probably no more than you do
in WA. We've been there, and have many friends living there, and they
complain about so much rain.

I'm not an outdoor's person either, but I love it here. You don't have
to be an outdoor's enthusiast to enjoy living here.

Judy
P.S. We also don't have to deal with hurricanes, tornadoes, ice storms,
blizzards, and severe flooding either and even thunder/lightening is a
rare occurrence.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> Julie Bove wrote:
>
>>I have never been there and really have
>> no desire to. I have been told it is
>> beautiful but I am not an outdoorsy
>> person and dislike cold weather and
>> especially snow and ice.

>>I like it best here in WA. Yes, people do
>> tend to be outdoorsy here but we do not
>> usually have extremes in weather nor do
>> we have a lot of sunshine so for me it is
>> doable.

> That's a misconception many have about Alaska. Where we live, it is very
> mild, and not near as cold as many states. We just had our first frost
> last week, and no snow yet, and back East, they are dealing with PILES
> of snow, power outages, etc. It rarely gets down into the teens for lows
> in the winter at night, and we don't have all that much snow either. Our
> summers are warm and pleasant...no humidity and no triple digit
> temperatures either.
>
> We get quite a bit of rain year around, but probably no more than you do
> in WA. We've been there, and have many friends living there, and they
> complain about so much rain.
>
> I'm not an outdoor's person either, but I love it here. You don't have
> to be an outdoor's enthusiast to enjoy living here.
>
> Judy
> P.S. We also don't have to deal with hurricanes, tornadoes, ice storms,
> blizzards, and severe flooding either and even thunder/lightening is a
> rare occurrence.

Interesting! I don't think we get a lot of rain here. Sure at times I wish
it wouldn't rain so much. But after living in PA, MA, and NY I know they
get more rain there than we do here. Lack of sun here, yes!

My daughter spent her early years in Alameda CA. She didn't know what rain
was. Yes it rained there. Once for about two weeks but mostly at night. I
guess she doesn't remember. Rained so hard there was flooding in some
areas.

We moved from there and were staying overnight in a motel. There was an
outdoor pool. She wanted to go in the pool. I kept telling her she
couldn't because it was raining. Actually now that I think of it that is
probably a silly thing to say. Who would really care about rain in a pool?
Or maybe you would. Maybe when coming up for air you would get rain in your
nose. Anyway... What I said didn't have a meaning to her and she asked me
what those drops of water were coming from the sky? She had never seen rain
before.

For as nice as the weather was in Alameda (pretty much 70 year round), it
wasn't a good place to live. Not IMO. It was expensive. Few good
restaurants or places to shop. Pretty much you had to leave the island and
go to Oakland or San Francisco. And then you were battling the traffic. I
hate traffic!