Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default poaching in oil?

I have quite a few bone-in skin on chicken thighs and got curious as to what
would happen if I poached them in oil. Not sure I'm going to try it, but still
curious
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mal wrote:

> I have quite a few bone-in skin on chicken thighs and got curious as to
> what
> would happen if I poached them in oil. Not sure I'm going to try it, but
> still
> curious

Essentially, you'd be making chicken confit.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
b.com...
> Mal wrote:
>
>> I have quite a few bone-in skin on chicken thighs and got curious as to
>> what
>> would happen if I poached them in oil. Not sure I'm going to try it, but
>> still
>> curious

> Essentially, you'd be making chicken confit.

which is a good thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 22:00:11 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
> wrote:

>I have quite a few bone-in skin on chicken thighs and got curious as to what
>would happen if I poached them in oil. Not sure I'm going to try it, but still
>curious

If you need to ask you'd for sure **** it up. You can attempt confit
but then you'd need to render extra chicken fat, in vegetable oil or
other fats you may as well toss it now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

>On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 22:52:25 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

>> Mal wrote:

>>> I have quite a few bone-in skin on chicken thighs and got curious as to
>>> what
>>> would happen if I poached them in oil. Not sure I'm going to try it, but

>> Essentially, you'd be making chicken confit.

>O.K. lets nit-pick THIS one to death....

No kidding.

S.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" > wrote:

> I have quite a few bone-in skin on chicken thighs and got curious as to what
> would happen if I poached them in oil. Not sure I'm going to try it, but
> still
> curious

That's called frying.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 20:48:00 +1200, Miche > wrote:

> > I have quite a few bone-in skin on chicken thighs and got curious as to what
> > would happen if I poached them in oil.

> That's called frying.

Wrong.

--
Ann's Little Brother Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:00:36 PM UTC-5, Leon Manfredi wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 18:35:15 +0000 (UTC), (Steve Pope) wrote:
>
> >Sqwertz > wrote:

> >>O.K. lets nit-pick THIS one to death....

> >No kidding.
> >

> >S.

> I dredge two (liberally), in a mix of flour, salt and black pepper (heavey on salt
> and pepper), and in an cast enameled oval, with 1/2 stick melted margarine, in a
> convection toaster oven on high, turninng on a crusty brown at 450, lowered to 325 on
> finish, long enough so that the bone knuckle loosens off.... Serve as a meat side to
> any of your favorite dishes...

What kind of a dumbass uses stick margarine in 2011? You.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 26, 10:52*pm, "Bob Terwilliger"

> Essentially, you'd be making chicken confit.
>
> Bob

No. For confit you would use chicken fat. Oil sounds horrible.

http://richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 07:26:13 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

> What kind of a dumbass uses stick margarine in 2011? You.

There are enough margarine users for stores to keep it in stock. I've
never been in a grocery store yet that didn't have it as an option.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.