Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oil Poaching

Hello All!

There is considerable interest on cooking pages in newspapers on
poaching in oil and there are several different methods including using
a deep-frying thermometer and also cooking in the oven. Quite a range of
temperatures is suggested from 150F to 350F. The last seems hardly
poaching.

I have tried flounder in the oven set at 180F, about it's lowest, and,
using a thermometer, attempting to maintain 180F on the stove with
Rainbow trout. Both were pretty good but I think the temperature in the
frying pan was a lot more than 180, judging by how quickly the fish
cooked.

Has anyone else any experience with the method? I only use olive oil
and, since flavorings are added to the oil, I don't bother with
virginol.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Hello All!
>
> There is considerable interest on cooking pages in newspapers on poaching
> in oil and there are several different methods including using a
> deep-frying thermometer and also cooking in the oven. Quite a range of
> temperatures is suggested from 150F to 350F. The last seems hardly
> poaching.
>
> I have tried flounder in the oven set at 180F, about it's lowest, and,
> using a thermometer, attempting to maintain 180F on the stove with Rainbow
> trout. Both were pretty good but I think the temperature in the frying pan
> was a lot more than 180, judging by how quickly the fish cooked.
>
> Has anyone else any experience with the method? I only use olive oil and,
> since flavorings are added to the oil, I don't bother with virginol.
>
> --
>

> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

As in

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_confit

Confit.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James wrote:

> There is considerable interest on cooking pages in newspapers on poaching
> in oil and there are several different methods including using a
> deep-frying thermometer and also cooking in the oven. Quite a range of
> temperatures is suggested from 150F to 350F. The last seems hardly
> poaching.
>
> I have tried flounder in the oven set at 180F, about it's lowest, and,
> using a thermometer, attempting to maintain 180F on the stove with Rainbow
> trout. Both were pretty good but I think the temperature in the frying pan
> was a lot more than 180, judging by how quickly the fish cooked.
>
> Has anyone else any experience with the method? I only use olive oil and,
> since flavorings are added to the oil, I don't bother with virginol.

I have an electric skillet which does a pretty good job of low-temperature
poaching. Now that you've put it into my head, I might try butter-poaching
lobster, monkfish, or scallops in it.

With sous vide being all the rage, another option might be to seal the fish
into a plastic packet with oil and cook it in water on the stovetop while
monitoring the water temperature. With a fairly large amount of water you
ought to be able to regulate the temperature well.

Speaking of sous vide, Lin and I were in Sur La Table yesterday and saw the
"water oven" which Christine posted about last December. (Still going for
the low-low price of $449, get yours while they last!)

Bob