General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-09-2011, 06:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 61,789
Default cranberry juice


Is it possible to find plain old cranberry juice anymore? It all
seems to be either mixed with another fruit or has high fructose corn
syrup. Hubby bought cranberry juice cocktail for me and it's so sweet
I feel like it will rot my teeth.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-09-2011, 06:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 235
Default cranberry juice

On Sep 18, 10:38*pm, sf wrote:
Is it possible to find plain old cranberry juice anymore? *It all
seems to be either mixed with another fruit or has high fructose corn
syrup. *Hubby bought cranberry juice cocktail for me and it's so sweet
I feel like it will rot my teeth.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.


try trader joe's. i've purchased plain (unsweetened) cranberry juice
there.

harriet & critters in azusa
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-09-2011, 07:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 46,524
Default cranberry juice


"sf" wrote in message
...

Is it possible to find plain old cranberry juice anymore? It all
seems to be either mixed with another fruit or has high fructose corn
syrup. Hubby bought cranberry juice cocktail for me and it's so sweet
I feel like it will rot my teeth.


Yes. Health food stores would carry it. I've bought it at Central Market
and I just saw it the other day at some other store. But I can't remember
where.


  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-09-2011, 12:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,619
Default cranberry juice

and if you have the space you can just freeze the berries and use/juice as
needed, Lees
"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
sf wrote:

Is it possible to find plain old cranberry juice anymore? It all
seems to be either mixed with another fruit or has high fructose corn
syrup. Hubby bought cranberry juice cocktail for me and it's so sweet
I feel like it will rot my teeth.


You can, but you really have to hunt for it!
I can no longer find it frozen but I can find it in the juice aisle in
plastic bottles sometimes. I share your frustration that most of it is
mixed with apple or grape juice.

Cranberries are easy to process. I'm seriously considering stocking up
on cranberries during the holiday season when they are inexpensive and
widely available and just making my own. I'll toss them in the blender,
strain the results and freeze it.

I love cranberry juice and can then sweeten it to my own personal taste.
:-)
--
Peace, Om
Web Albums: http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
-- Mark Twain



  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-09-2011, 01:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,198
Default cranberry juice


"Storrmmee" wrote in message
...
and if you have the space you can just freeze the berries and use/juice as
needed, Lees
"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
sf wrote:

Is it possible to find plain old cranberry juice anymore? It all
seems to be either mixed with another fruit or has high fructose corn
syrup. Hubby bought cranberry juice cocktail for me and it's so sweet
I feel like it will rot my teeth.


You can, but you really have to hunt for it!
I can no longer find it frozen but I can find it in the juice aisle in
plastic bottles sometimes. I share your frustration that most of it is
mixed with apple or grape juice.

Cranberries are easy to process. I'm seriously considering stocking up
on cranberries during the holiday season when they are inexpensive and
widely available and just making my own. I'll toss them in the blender,
strain the results and freeze it.

I love cranberry juice and can then sweeten it to my own personal taste.


Yes. Even plain old WalMart stocks it. The brand name is Northland. The
stores hide it on the top shelf way in the back so you'll give up and buy
something else mixed with another juice or tadpoles maybe. Mr. Esther is
firmly convinced that real cranberry juice has grand healing and preventive
properties. Polly



  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-09-2011, 02:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,619
Default cranberry juice


"stunned look" freezer burn? on cranberries? didn't know that!!! lol never
have them around long enough for that... lol, Lee
"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Storrmmee" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message

Cranberries are easy to process. I'm seriously considering stocking up
on cranberries during the holiday season when they are inexpensive and
widely available and just making my own. I'll toss them in the
blender,
strain the results and freeze it.

I love cranberry juice and can then sweeten it to my own personal
taste.
:-)


and if you have the space you can just freeze the berries and use/juice
as
needed, Lees


While true, I'd rather not. The whole berries are more likely to get
freezer burned. When I freeze juice, I freeze it in ice cube trays to
make it easier to portion out.

Next time I find limes cheap, I need to do the same thing...
--
Peace, Om
Web Albums: http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
-- Mark Twain



  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-09-2011, 03:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 35,884
Default cranberry juice

On 19/09/2011 1:38 AM, sf wrote:

Is it possible to find plain old cranberry juice anymore? It all
seems to be either mixed with another fruit or has high fructose corn
syrup. Hubby bought cranberry juice cocktail for me and it's so sweet
I feel like it will rot my teeth.


I can get pure cranberry juice. It is pretty nasty stuff and quite
expensive. The last time I looked at it the price for a quart sized
bottle was about $12.
  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-09-2011, 03:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,546
Default cranberry juice

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 23:20:47 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:


"sf" wrote in message
.. .

Is it possible to find plain old cranberry juice anymore? It all
seems to be either mixed with another fruit or has high fructose corn
syrup. Hubby bought cranberry juice cocktail for me and it's so sweet
I feel like it will rot my teeth.


Yes. Health food stores would carry it. I've bought it at Central Market
and I just saw it the other day at some other store. But I can't remember
where.



Yoose probably never tasted a fresh cranberry. It's called cranberry
juice *coctail* for a reason, it's essentially a mixed drink. Pure
cranberry juice (with no sugar added) is practically undrinkable, it's
very bitter... you can easily make your own by simmering fresh
cranberries in plain water as though making cranberry sauce to make a
concentrate... then add more water to taste but it will still be
extremely bitter (if worried about calories you can sweeten with
artificial sweetener). Even Craisins have lots of sugar added or no
one would eat them.
  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-09-2011, 03:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,546
Default cranberry juice

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 07:52:27 -0500, "Polly Esther"
wrote:


"Storrmmee" wrote in message
...
and if you have the space you can just freeze the berries and use/juice as
needed, Lees
"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
sf wrote:

Is it possible to find plain old cranberry juice anymore? It all
seems to be either mixed with another fruit or has high fructose corn
syrup. Hubby bought cranberry juice cocktail for me and it's so sweet
I feel like it will rot my teeth.

You can, but you really have to hunt for it!
I can no longer find it frozen but I can find it in the juice aisle in
plastic bottles sometimes. I share your frustration that most of it is
mixed with apple or grape juice.

Cranberries are easy to process. I'm seriously considering stocking up
on cranberries during the holiday season when they are inexpensive and
widely available and just making my own. I'll toss them in the blender,
strain the results and freeze it.

I love cranberry juice and can then sweeten it to my own personal taste.


Yes. Even plain old WalMart stocks it. The brand name is Northland. The
stores hide it on the top shelf way in the back so you'll give up and buy
something else mixed with another juice or tadpoles maybe. Mr. Esther is
firmly convinced that real cranberry juice has grand healing and preventive
properties. Polly


He thinks it'll make his peepee hard... tell him to coat his tongue
with pure cranberry juice. hehe
  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-09-2011, 05:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 61,789
Default cranberry juice

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 22:40:57 -0700 (PDT), "critters & me in azusa, ca"
wrote:

On Sep 18, 10:38*pm, sf wrote:
Is it possible to find plain old cranberry juice anymore? *It all
seems to be either mixed with another fruit or has high fructose corn
syrup. *Hubby bought cranberry juice cocktail for me and it's so sweet
I feel like it will rot my teeth.


try trader joe's. i've purchased plain (unsweetened) cranberry juice
there.

Thanks! I'll look for it there.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.


  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-09-2011, 07:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,238
Default cranberry juice

On Sep 19, 9:31*am, Dave Smith wrote:
On 19/09/2011 1:38 AM, sf wrote:



Is it possible to find plain old cranberry juice anymore? *It all
seems to be either mixed with another fruit or has high fructose corn
syrup. *Hubby bought cranberry juice cocktail for me and it's so sweet
I feel like it will rot my teeth.


I can get pure cranberry juice. It is pretty nasty stuff and quite
expensive. The last time I looked at it the price for a quart sized
bottle was about $12.


I can easily get pure cranberry juice, and it certainly isn't that
expensive. But I've switched to the "sparkling" Ocean Spray cranberry
(and the other pomegranite and other berry) juices - only 10 calories
per can. And it's tingly on the tongue. ;-)

N.
  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-09-2011, 07:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,415
Default cranberry juice

sf wrote:

Is it possible to find plain old cranberry juice anymore? It all
seems to be either mixed with another fruit or has high fructose corn
syrup. Hubby bought cranberry juice cocktail for me and it's so sweet
I feel like it will rot my teeth.


The pure stuff is expensive, very strong and tart. I've gotten it and
diluted it with twice as much water. I've seen it at Whole Foods aka
Wild Oats and at some of the local health food stores.
  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-09-2011, 07:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,244
Default cranberry juice

On 9/19/2011 10:31 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
On 19/09/2011 1:38 AM, sf wrote:

Is it possible to find plain old cranberry juice anymore? It all
seems to be either mixed with another fruit or has high fructose corn
syrup. Hubby bought cranberry juice cocktail for me and it's so sweet
I feel like it will rot my teeth.


I can get pure cranberry juice. It is pretty nasty stuff and quite
expensive. The last time I looked at it the price for a quart sized
bottle was about $12.


I buy it often. Not sure about it being nasty. I buy it at a local
foodservice place that also sells to the public for ~ $7/quart. I just
looked at a bottle and it is the same as amazon is selling:

http://www.amazon.com/Lakewood-Organ.../dp/B0000ZSH9Q
  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-09-2011, 08:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 61,789
Default cranberry juice

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 18:48:56 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
wrote:

I've seen it at Whole Foods aka Wild Oats


I've seen Wild Oats mentioned here, but didn't know it was Whole
Foods.


--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
  #15 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-09-2011, 09:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,546
Default cranberry juice

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 14:50:26 -0400, George
wrote:

On 9/19/2011 10:31 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
On 19/09/2011 1:38 AM, sf wrote:

Is it possible to find plain old cranberry juice anymore? It all
seems to be either mixed with another fruit or has high fructose corn
syrup. Hubby bought cranberry juice cocktail for me and it's so sweet
I feel like it will rot my teeth.


I can get pure cranberry juice. It is pretty nasty stuff and quite
expensive. The last time I looked at it the price for a quart sized
bottle was about $12.


I buy it often. Not sure about it being nasty. I buy it at a local
foodservice place that also sells to the public for ~ $7/quart. I just
looked at a bottle and it is the same as amazon is selling:

http://www.amazon.com/Lakewood-Organ.../dp/B0000ZSH9Q


Damn, that's more than $12.50 a quart... I can buy a quart of vodka
for nearly half that price.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cranberry juice Somebody General Cooking 0 08-10-2012 12:06 PM
Cranberry juice sucks! notbob General Cooking 94 21-02-2009 12:29 AM
Cooking with cranberry juice sueb General Cooking 5 17-10-2008 11:08 PM
Unsweetened Cranberry Juice W. Baker Diabetic 12 05-01-2008 10:43 PM
Further on cranberry juice [email protected] Winemaking 4 24-12-2006 03:36 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017