FoodBanter.com

-   -   cranberry juice (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/411164-cranberry-juice.html)

sf[_9_] 19-09-2011 06:38 AM

cranberry juice

Is it possible to find plain old cranberry juice anymore? It all
seems to be either mixed with another fruit or has high fructose corn
syrup. Hubby bought cranberry juice cocktail for me and it's so sweet
I feel like it will rot my teeth.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

critters & me in azusa, ca 19-09-2011 06:40 AM

cranberry juice

On Sep 18, 10:38*pm, sf > wrote:
> Is it possible to find plain old cranberry juice anymore? *It all
> seems to be either mixed with another fruit or has high fructose corn
> syrup. *Hubby bought cranberry juice cocktail for me and it's so sweet
> I feel like it will rot my teeth.
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

try trader joe's. i've purchased plain (unsweetened) cranberry juice
there.

harriet & critters in azusa

Julie Bove[_2_] 19-09-2011 07:20 AM

cranberry juice

"sf" > wrote in message

> Is it possible to find plain old cranberry juice anymore? It all
> seems to be either mixed with another fruit or has high fructose corn
> syrup. Hubby bought cranberry juice cocktail for me and it's so sweet
> I feel like it will rot my teeth.

Yes. Health food stores would carry it. I've bought it at Central Market
and I just saw it the other day at some other store. But I can't remember
where.

Storrmmee 19-09-2011 12:26 PM

cranberry juice

and if you have the space you can just freeze the berries and use/juice as
needed, Lees

Polly Esther[_2_] 19-09-2011 01:52 PM

cranberry juice

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> and if you have the space you can just freeze the berries and use/juice as
> needed, Lees
> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> sf > wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible to find plain old cranberry juice anymore? It all
>>> seems to be either mixed with another fruit or has high fructose corn
>>> syrup. Hubby bought cranberry juice cocktail for me and it's so sweet
>>> I feel like it will rot my teeth.

>> You can, but you really have to hunt for it!
>> I can no longer find it frozen but I can find it in the juice aisle in
>> plastic bottles sometimes. I share your frustration that most of it is
>> mixed with apple or grape juice.
>>
>> Cranberries are easy to process. I'm seriously considering stocking up
>> on cranberries during the holiday season when they are inexpensive and
>> widely available and just making my own. I'll toss them in the blender,
>> strain the results and freeze it.
>>
>> I love cranberry juice and can then sweeten it to my own personal taste.

Yes. Even plain old WalMart stocks it. The brand name is Northland. The
stores hide it on the top shelf way in the back so you'll give up and buy
something else mixed with another juice or tadpoles maybe. Mr. Esther is
firmly convinced that real cranberry juice has grand healing and preventive
properties. Polly

Storrmmee 19-09-2011 02:48 PM

cranberry juice

"stunned look" freezer burn? on cranberries? didn't know that!!! lol never
have them around long enough for that... lol, Lee

Dave Smith[_1_] 19-09-2011 03:31 PM

cranberry juice

On 19/09/2011 1:38 AM, sf wrote:

> Is it possible to find plain old cranberry juice anymore? It all
> seems to be either mixed with another fruit or has high fructose corn
> syrup. Hubby bought cranberry juice cocktail for me and it's so sweet
> I feel like it will rot my teeth.

I can get pure cranberry juice. It is pretty nasty stuff and quite
expensive. The last time I looked at it the price for a quart sized
bottle was about $12.

Brooklyn1 19-09-2011 03:46 PM

cranberry juice

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 23:20:47 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Is it possible to find plain old cranberry juice anymore? It all
>> seems to be either mixed with another fruit or has high fructose corn
>> syrup. Hubby bought cranberry juice cocktail for me and it's so sweet
>> I feel like it will rot my teeth.

>Yes. Health food stores would carry it. I've bought it at Central Market
>and I just saw it the other day at some other store. But I can't remember
>where.

Yoose probably never tasted a fresh cranberry. It's called cranberry
juice *coctail* for a reason, it's essentially a mixed drink. Pure
cranberry juice (with no sugar added) is practically undrinkable, it's
very bitter... you can easily make your own by simmering fresh
cranberries in plain water as though making cranberry sauce to make a
concentrate... then add more water to taste but it will still be
extremely bitter (if worried about calories you can sweeten with
artificial sweetener). Even Craisins have lots of sugar added or no
one would eat them.

Brooklyn1 19-09-2011 03:50 PM

cranberry juice

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 07:52:27 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

>"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> and if you have the space you can just freeze the berries and use/juice as
>> needed, Lees
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message

>>> You can, but you really have to hunt for it!
>>> I can no longer find it frozen but I can find it in the juice aisle in
>>> plastic bottles sometimes. I share your frustration that most of it is
>>> mixed with apple or grape juice.
>>>
>>> Cranberries are easy to process. I'm seriously considering stocking up
>>> on cranberries during the holiday season when they are inexpensive and
>>> widely available and just making my own. I'll toss them in the blender,
>>> strain the results and freeze it.
>>>
>>> I love cranberry juice and can then sweeten it to my own personal taste.

>Yes. Even plain old WalMart stocks it. The brand name is Northland. The
>stores hide it on the top shelf way in the back so you'll give up and buy
>something else mixed with another juice or tadpoles maybe. Mr. Esther is
>firmly convinced that real cranberry juice has grand healing and preventive
>properties. Polly

He thinks it'll make his peepee hard... tell him to coat his tongue
with pure cranberry juice. hehe

sf[_9_] 19-09-2011 05:43 PM

cranberry juice

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 22:40:57 -0700 (PDT), "critters & me in azusa, ca"
> wrote:

> On Sep 18, 10:38*pm, sf > wrote:
> > Is it possible to find plain old cranberry juice anymore? *It all
> > seems to be either mixed with another fruit or has high fructose corn
> > syrup. *Hubby bought cranberry juice cocktail for me and it's so sweet
> > I feel like it will rot my teeth.
> >

> try trader joe's. i've purchased plain (unsweetened) cranberry juice
> there.

Thanks! I'll look for it there.

Nancy2[_2_] 19-09-2011 07:07 PM

cranberry juice

On Sep 19, 9:31*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 19/09/2011 1:38 AM, sf wrote:
>

> > Is it possible to find plain old cranberry juice anymore? *It all
> > seems to be either mixed with another fruit or has high fructose corn
> > syrup. *Hubby bought cranberry juice cocktail for me and it's so sweet
> > I feel like it will rot my teeth.

> I can get pure cranberry juice. It is pretty nasty stuff and quite
> expensive. The last time I looked at it the price for a quart sized
> bottle was about $12.

I can easily get pure cranberry juice, and it certainly isn't that
expensive. But I've switched to the "sparkling" Ocean Spray cranberry
(and the other pomegranite and other berry) juices - only 10 calories
per can. And it's tingly on the tongue. ;-)

N.

Doug Freyburger 19-09-2011 07:48 PM

cranberry juice

sf wrote:

> Is it possible to find plain old cranberry juice anymore? It all
> seems to be either mixed with another fruit or has high fructose corn
> syrup. Hubby bought cranberry juice cocktail for me and it's so sweet
> I feel like it will rot my teeth.

The pure stuff is expensive, very strong and tart. I've gotten it and
diluted it with twice as much water. I've seen it at Whole Foods aka
Wild Oats and at some of the local health food stores.

George[_1_] 19-09-2011 07:50 PM

cranberry juice

On 9/19/2011 10:31 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 19/09/2011 1:38 AM, sf wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible to find plain old cranberry juice anymore? It all
>> seems to be either mixed with another fruit or has high fructose corn
>> syrup. Hubby bought cranberry juice cocktail for me and it's so sweet
>> I feel like it will rot my teeth.
>>

> I can get pure cranberry juice. It is pretty nasty stuff and quite
> expensive. The last time I looked at it the price for a quart sized
> bottle was about $12.

I buy it often. Not sure about it being nasty. I buy it at a local
foodservice place that also sells to the public for ~ $7/quart. I just
looked at a bottle and it is the same as amazon is selling:

http://www.amazon.com/Lakewood-Organ.../dp/B0000ZSH9Q

sf[_9_] 19-09-2011 08:39 PM

cranberry juice

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 18:48:56 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
> wrote:

> I've seen it at Whole Foods aka Wild Oats

I've seen Wild Oats mentioned here, but didn't know it was Whole
Foods.

Brooklyn1 19-09-2011 09:28 PM

cranberry juice

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 14:50:26 -0400, George >
wrote:

>On 9/19/2011 10:31 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 19/09/2011 1:38 AM, sf wrote:
>>>
>>> Is it possible to find plain old cranberry juice anymore? It all
>>> seems to be either mixed with another fruit or has high fructose corn
>>> syrup. Hubby bought cranberry juice cocktail for me and it's so sweet
>>> I feel like it will rot my teeth.
>>>

>> I can get pure cranberry juice. It is pretty nasty stuff and quite
>> expensive. The last time I looked at it the price for a quart sized
>> bottle was about $12.

>I buy it often. Not sure about it being nasty. I buy it at a local
>foodservice place that also sells to the public for ~ $7/quart. I just
>looked at a bottle and it is the same as amazon is selling:
>
>http://www.amazon.com/Lakewood-Organ.../dp/B0000ZSH9Q

Damn, that's more than $12.50 a quart... I can buy a quart of vodka
for nearly half that price.

Chemo the Clown[_2_] 19-09-2011 10:08 PM

cranberry juice

On Sep 19, 7:50*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 07:52:27 -0500, "Polly Esther"
>

> > wrote:
>
> >"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> >> and if you have the space you can just freeze the berries and use/juice as
> >> needed, Lees

> >Yes. *Even plain old WalMart stocks it. *The brand name is Northland.. *The
> >stores hide it on the top shelf way in the back so you'll give up and buy
> >something else mixed with another juice or tadpoles maybe. *Mr. Esther is
> >firmly convinced that real cranberry juice has grand healing and preventive
> >properties. *Polly

> He thinks it'll make his peepee hard... tell him to coat his tongue
> with pure cranberry juice. hehe

You get the Idiot of the Day award. Congrats!

Chemo the Clown[_2_] 19-09-2011 10:09 PM

cranberry juice

On Sep 19, 1:28*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 14:50:26 -0400, George >
> wrote:

> >> I can get pure cranberry juice. It is pretty nasty stuff and quite
> >> expensive. The last time I looked at it the price for a quart sized
> >> bottle was about $12.

> >I buy it often. Not sure about it being nasty. I buy it at a local
> >foodservice place that also sells to the public for ~ $7/quart. I just
> >looked at a bottle and it is the same as amazon is selling:

> >http://www.amazon.com/Lakewood-Organ...uice/dp/B0000Z...

> Damn, that's more than $12.50 a quart... I can buy a quart of vodka
> for nearly half that price.

yeah...you're a cheap date, that's for sure.

Dave Smith[_1_] 20-09-2011 12:00 AM

cranberry juice

On 19/09/2011 2:50 PM, George wrote:

>> I can get pure cranberry juice. It is pretty nasty stuff and quite
>> expensive. The last time I looked at it the price for a quart sized
>> bottle was about $12.

> I buy it often. Not sure about it being nasty. I buy it at a local
> foodservice place that also sells to the public for ~ $7/quart. I just
> looked at a bottle and it is the same as amazon is selling:

I like cranberries. I love cranberry sauce on turkey. I love cranberries
in various types of muffins. I love craisins. I che on cranberry pills
once in a while. I like cranberry. I cannot drink straight cranberry juice.

Dave Smith[_1_] 20-09-2011 12:30 AM

cranberry juice

On 19/09/2011 5:08 PM, Chemo the Clown wrote:
> On Sep 19, 7:50 am, Brooklyn1<Gravesend1> wrote:

>>> Yes. Even plain old WalMart stocks it. The brand name is Northland. The
>>> stores hide it on the top shelf way in the back so you'll give up and buy
>>> something else mixed with another juice or tadpoles maybe. Mr. Esther is
>>> firmly convinced that real cranberry juice has grand healing and preventive
>>> properties. Polly

>> He thinks it'll make his peepee hard... tell him to coat his tongue
>> with pure cranberry juice. hehe

> You get the Idiot of the Day award. Congrats!

When did he ever have competition for that?

Polly Esther[_2_] 20-09-2011 01:17 AM

cranberry juice

"Dave Smith" <answered to Chemo's> You get the Idiot of the Day award.
Congrats!

> When did he ever have competition for that?

Is there any stiff competition around here? Polly

Doug Freyburger 20-09-2011 08:12 PM

cranberry juice

sf wrote:
> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>
>> I've seen it at Whole Foods aka Wild Oats

> I've seen Wild Oats mentioned here, but didn't know it was Whole
> Foods.

I suspect there was a corporate merger at some point. Like when Cost
Plus merged with World Market. Or maybe it's just a different marketing
name in Carls Jr and Hardees burgers.

sf[_9_] 21-09-2011 01:52 AM

cranberry juice

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 19:12:12 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
> wrote:

> I suspect there was a corporate merger at some point. Like when Cost
> Plus merged with World Market.

World Market was a separate corporation? I just thought Cost Plus
became pretentious with it's new look. I liked the old Cost Plus
better and still miss their wrapping paper and unique christmas
decorations.

Kalmia 21-09-2011 04:46 PM

cranberry juice

On Sep 19, 1:38*am, sf > wrote:
> Is it possible to find plain old cranberry juice anymore? *It all
> seems to be either mixed with another fruit or has high fructose corn
> syrup. *Hubby bought cranberry juice cocktail for me and it's so sweet
> I feel like it will rot my teeth.
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

You can buy the real unaldulterated juice prob. in a healthfood store,
but it ain't cheap.