Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default About That Sugar In French Toast

I think it was Dave S. and Bob T. that told me that the sugar in the
egg mixture was for browning and not for flavor and I said I'd try it.
So I did.

I used a loaf of bread from a local chain called Breadsmith. They
call this loaf "Cherry Pie"

http://i53.tinypic.com/2wdrfcx.jpg

When sliced it looked like this:

http://i55.tinypic.com/2helsv5.jpg

I took five slices and let them soak in five eggs with a tablespoon of
sugar for about 20 minutes. Longer might have been better but we were
hungry. I baked instead of frying and didn't get a plated shot but
this is what came out of the oven:

http://i53.tinypic.com/s2xndh.jpg

There was no vanilla or cinnamon like I normally use and they were
fabulous. We had them with butter and honey and no syrup.

Thanks to Bob and Dave and anyone else who pointed me in the proper
direction! They browned wonderfully.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/19/2011 4:46 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:
> I think it was Dave S. and Bob T. that told me that the sugar in the
> egg mixture was for browning and not for flavor and I said I'd try it.
> So I did.
>
> I used a loaf of bread from a local chain called Breadsmith. They
> call this loaf "Cherry Pie"
>
> http://i53.tinypic.com/2wdrfcx.jpg
>
> When sliced it looked like this:
>
> http://i55.tinypic.com/2helsv5.jpg
>
> I took five slices and let them soak in five eggs with a tablespoon of
> sugar for about 20 minutes. Longer might have been better but we were
> hungry. I baked instead of frying and didn't get a plated shot but
> this is what came out of the oven:
>
> http://i53.tinypic.com/s2xndh.jpg
>
> There was no vanilla or cinnamon like I normally use and they were
> fabulous. We had them with butter and honey and no syrup.
>
> Thanks to Bob and Dave and anyone else who pointed me in the proper
> direction! They browned wonderfully.
>
> Lou

That looks wonderful, I have never tried or cooked with bread like that.
Cherry Pie, I will see if they sell that around here.

My grandmother made the best French Bread, but I bake it in the oven. I
refrigerate it the night before and bake it it he next morning. You
could also bake it an hour or two later.

Oven baked Pain Perdu (French Toast)

1 lb. loaf stale French bread, diagonally sliced in 1" slices
8 eggs
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups Half & Half
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 1/3 cup sugar (or Splenda)
3/4 cup butter

Butter a 9" X 13" baking dish and arrange bread slices in the bottom.
In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, half and half, vanilla,
cinnamon and sugar. Pour over bread slices, then dot the bread with
plenty of butter, it will help the French Toastget nice and brown.

Cover, and refrigerate overnight. Before I add the butter, I flip the
bread over a couple of times, until it begins to get soft, then I quit
or the bread will tear. By some miracle, the bread soaks up most of the
liquid.

Bake in a 350 degree oven, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes. Allow to cool
for at least 5 minutes, or the bread will stick to the pan. Cover with
powdered sugar, then serve. You will not need any syrup,
because this French Toastis sweet.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> I think it was Dave S. and Bob T. that told me that the sugar in the
> egg mixture was for browning and not for flavor.

Sweet is one of the four basic tastes... heat browns foods whether
there's sugar present or not... of course a fried brain poopy head
like you believes those two keyboard kooks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 21:48:43 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:24:35 -0500, Ema Nymton wrote:
>
>> Cover, and refrigerate overnight.

>I've never heard of soaking French bread. I simply dredged it. It's
>not usually a very dense bread, but still...

I like it fine just dipped and flipped. But if I'm planning ahead I
do the overnight soak. The first time I did it I was sure it would
just end up soggy-- but it does change flavor & mouthfeel. . in a good
way.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 19, 7:57*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 20:33:49 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > Lou Decruss wrote:
> >> I think it was Dave S. and Bob T. that told me that the sugar in the
> >> egg mixture was for browning and not for flavor.

> > Sweet is one of the four basic tastes... heat browns foods whether
> > there's sugar present or not... of course a fried brain poopy head
> > like you believes those two keyboard kooks.

> Another one who knows even less about Louis Camille Maillard.
>
> You have finally achieved my killfile. *You have reached the pint of
> no return. *You have not said anything accurate or of culinary value
> for quite a while. *I think you purposely post crap just to get
> negative attention, *And since nobody else bothers responding to your
> bullshit any more, maybe you'll wake up and just fade away.
>
> It's not like I'll have to worry about seeing you quoted in other
> people's posts. *And I should I return the favor to everybody else who
> has you killfiled.
>
> Goodbye Sheldon Katz. *I still reserve the right to refer to you in
> the past tense as an example of a nut case.
>
> sw

The pint of no return? LOL!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, 20 August 2011 11:19:01 UTC-6, merryb wrote:
> On Aug 19, 7:57*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:

> > > Sweet is one of the four basic tastes... heat browns foods whether
> > > there's sugar present or not... of course a fried brain poopy head
> > > like you believes those two keyboard kooks.

> > Another one who knows even less about Louis Camille Maillard.
> >
> > You have finally achieved my killfile. *You have reached the pint of
> > no return. *You have not said anything accurate or of culinary value
> > for quite a while. *I think you purposely post crap just to get
> > negative attention, *And since nobody else bothers responding to your
> > bullshit any more, maybe you'll wake up and just fade away.
> >
> > It's not like I'll have to worry about seeing you quoted in other
> > people's posts. *And I should I return the favor to everybody else who
> > has you killfiled.
> >
> > Goodbye Sheldon Katz. *I still reserve the right to refer to you in
> > the past tense as an example of a nut case.
> >
> > sw

> The pint of no return? LOL!!

==
Squertz does not like criticism...he will killfile you if you keep pointing out any errors that he may have made. Must be his Prussian blood.
==
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 10:11:59 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 21:48:43 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:24:35 -0500, Ema Nymton wrote:
> >
> >> Cover, and refrigerate overnight.

> >I've never heard of soaking French bread. I simply dredged it. It's
> >not usually a very dense bread, but still...

> I like it fine just dipped and flipped. But if I'm planning ahead I
> do the overnight soak. The first time I did it I was sure it would
> just end up soggy-- but it does change flavor & mouthfeel. . in a good
> way.

I've heard of overnight soaking and use that technique with breakfast
casseroles, but I dunno about doing it with French toast. I'd be
afraid it would be too fragile to transfer it from the dish I soaked
it in to the pan I wanted to fry it in, so I'm with squirts on this
one. Dip and go.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> I think it was Dave S. and Bob T. that told me that the sugar in the
> egg mixture was for browning and not for flavor and I said I'd try it.
> So I did.
>
> I used a loaf of bread from a local chain called Breadsmith. They
> call this loaf "Cherry Pie"
>
> http://i53.tinypic.com/2wdrfcx.jpg
>
> When sliced it looked like this:
>
> http://i55.tinypic.com/2helsv5.jpg
>
> I took five slices and let them soak in five eggs with a tablespoon of
> sugar for about 20 minutes. Longer might have been better but we were
> hungry. I baked instead of frying and didn't get a plated shot but
> this is what came out of the oven:
>
> http://i53.tinypic.com/s2xndh.jpg
>
> There was no vanilla or cinnamon like I normally use and they were
> fabulous. We had them with butter and honey and no syrup.
>
> Thanks to Bob and Dave and anyone else who pointed me in the proper
> direction! They browned wonderfully.
>
> Lou

Assuming baking is the norm for you, had did this batch compare as
far as that browning goes?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 19, 8:33*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> Lou Decruss wrote:
> > I think it was Dave S. and Bob T. that told me that the sugar in the
> > egg mixture was for browning and not for flavor.

> Sweet is one of the four basic tastes... heat browns foods whether
> there's sugar present or not... of course a fried brain poopy head
> like you believes those two keyboard kooks.

Don't you know that caramel color is browned white sugar?

Jerry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thank Gawd for self-proclaimed saviours and censors...they are needed...NOT.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 10:19:01 -0700 (PDT), merryb wrote:

> On Aug 19, 7:57*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:

>>> Sweet is one of the four basic tastes... heat browns foods whether
>>> there's sugar present or not... of course a fried brain poopy head
>>> like you believes those two keyboard kooks.

>> Another one who knows even less about Louis Camille Maillard.
>>
>> You have finally achieved my killfile. *You have reached the pint of
>> no return. *You have not said anything accurate or of culinary value
>> for quite a while. *I think you purposely post crap just to get
>> negative attention, *And since nobody else bothers responding to your
>> bullshit any more, maybe you'll wake up and just fade away.
>>
>> It's not like I'll have to worry about seeing you quoted in other
>> people's posts. *And I should I return the favor to everybody else who
>> has you killfiled.
>>
>> Goodbye Sheldon Katz. *I still reserve the right to refer to you in
>> the past tense as an example of a nut case.
>>
>> sw

> The pint of no return? LOL!!

for sheldon, more like the fifth of no return.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 20:44:12 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 10:19:01 -0700 (PDT), merryb wrote:
>
>> On Aug 19, 7:57*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>>
>>> You have finally achieved my killfile. *You have reached the pint of
>>> no return. *You have not said anything accurate or of culinary value...

>> The pint of no return? LOL!!

> In his case it's the "fifth of no return". He has hit rock bottom and
> there are no stairs :-)
>
> -sw

you ****ing rat!

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 06:54:38 -0700 (PDT), Roy wrote:

> Thank Gawd for self-proclaimed saviours and censors...they are needed...NOT.

actually, you seem somewhat sanctimonious your own self.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 11:18:32 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 20:44:12 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> >> The pint of no return? LOL!!

> > In his case it's the "fifth of no return". He has hit rock bottom and
> > there are no stairs :-)
> >
> > -sw

> you ****ing rat!

I'm surprised your reply wasn't about a case of fifths.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I've never had anyone call me sanctimonious before...I try not to be. I don't pretend to be any better (or worse) than any other poster here. I've lived a bit so I do know how people interact.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jerky Avins > wrote:

>On Aug 19, 8:33*pm, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Lou Decruss wrote:
>> > I think it was Dave S. and Bob T. that told me that the sugar in the
>> > egg mixture was for browning and not for flavor.

>> Sweet is one of the four basic tastes... heat browns foods whether
>> there's sugar present or not... of course a fried brain poopy head
>> like you believes those two keyboard kooks.

>Don't you know that caramel color is browned white sugar?
>
>Jerky Avins

Jerky thinks his shit is sweet... you moron... white sugar is sweet
browned or not... IMBECILE.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I've heard of overnight soaking and use that technique with breakfast
> casseroles, but I dunno about doing it with French toast. I'd be
> afraid it would be too fragile to transfer it from the dish I soaked
> it in to the pan I wanted to fry it in, so I'm with squirts on this
> one. Dip and go.

You use a sturdier bread and thicker slices for that type.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Oven Baked French Toast

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breakfast

12 ounces loaf French bread
4 eggs
1 cup half and half
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
confectioner's sugar

Cut bread crosswise into 16 slices.
Arrange bread in jelly roll pan, overlap if necessary.
In large bowl with wire whisk beat eggs, half and half, sugar and nutmeg
until blended. Pour over bread, turning, until mixture is absorbed by
bread.
Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Grease 2 large cookie sheets. Place bread
on sheets and bake 8-10 min each side or till golden brown.
Sprinkle with confectioners sugar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/19/2011 9:48 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:24:35 -0500, Ema Nymton wrote:
>
>> Cover, and refrigerate overnight.

> I've never heard of soaking French bread. I simply dredged it. It's
> not usually a very dense bread, but still...
>
> I guess I've just never felt the need to read an actual recipe. I
> think I'll go down and make some now... I woke up at 1:00pm so I'll
> call this dinner.
>
> -sw

After soaking up the milk and eggs, the French Bread tastes somewhat
like custard. I have used Splenda and it turns out fine, the bread
still browns on both sides. Maybe because of the butter?

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2011 5:57 PM, sf wrote:

> I've heard of overnight soaking and use that technique with breakfast
> casseroles, but I dunno about doing it with French toast. I'd be
> afraid it would be too fragile to transfer it from the dish I soaked
> it in to the pan I wanted to fry it in, so I'm with squirts on this
> one. Dip and go.

Oh, now you have me hungry for one of those breakfast casseroles! My
brother cooked one in a crock pot once. So good
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 21:22:35 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 8/20/2011 5:57 PM, sf wrote:
>
>> I've heard of overnight soaking and use that technique with breakfast
>> casseroles, but I dunno about doing it with French toast. I'd be
>> afraid it would be too fragile to transfer it from the dish I soaked
>> it in to the pan I wanted to fry it in, so I'm with squirts on this
>> one. Dip and go.

>Oh, now you have me hungry for one of those breakfast casseroles! My
>brother cooked one in a crock pot once. So good

Jeeze... sounds like you enjoy sodomy with your bro. So good...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 11:52:37 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> In his case it's the "fifth of no return". He has hit rock bottom and
>>> there are no stairs :-)

>> you ****ing rat!

> You gotta keep on your toes here! I almost said 'liter' at first.
>
> -sw

for once age and cunning don't beat youth and energy.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 8/19/2011 4:46 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:
>> I think it was Dave S. and Bob T. that told me that the sugar in the
>> egg mixture was for browning and not for flavor and I said I'd try it.
>> So I did.
>>
>> I used a loaf of bread from a local chain called Breadsmith. They
>> call this loaf "Cherry Pie"
>>
>> http://i53.tinypic.com/2wdrfcx.jpg
>>
>> When sliced it looked like this:
>>
>> http://i55.tinypic.com/2helsv5.jpg
>>
>> I took five slices and let them soak in five eggs with a tablespoon of
>> sugar for about 20 minutes. Longer might have been better but we were
>> hungry. I baked instead of frying and didn't get a plated shot but
>> this is what came out of the oven:
>>
>> http://i53.tinypic.com/s2xndh.jpg
>>
>> There was no vanilla or cinnamon like I normally use and they were
>> fabulous. We had them with butter and honey and no syrup.
>>
>> Thanks to Bob and Dave and anyone else who pointed me in the proper
>> direction! They browned wonderfully.
>>
>> Lou

>That looks wonderful, I have never tried or cooked with bread like that.
>Cherry Pie, I will see if they sell that around here.

Came from here. I don't know if there's a location in your state

http://www.breadsmith.com/index.html

>My grandmother made the best French Bread, but I bake it in the oven.

That's what I said I did.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:24:35 -0500, Ema Nymton wrote:
>
>> Cover, and refrigerate overnight.

>I've never heard of soaking French bread. I simply dredged it. It's
>not usually a very dense bread, but still...
>
>I guess I've just never felt the need to read an actual recipe. I
>think I'll go down and make some now... I woke up at 1:00pm so I'll
>call this dinner.

Cheap and thinly sliced bread would fall apart if soaked. That's not
what I had or did. Thick slices of dense bread benifit from soaking
or you'll get a spot on the middle that has no egg. The loaf I used
was like a brick and the results were wonderful.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 8/20/2011 5:57 PM, sf wrote:
>
>> I've heard of overnight soaking and use that technique with breakfast
>> casseroles, but I dunno about doing it with French toast. I'd be
>> afraid it would be too fragile to transfer it from the dish I soaked
>> it in to the pan I wanted to fry it in, so I'm with squirts on this
>> one. Dip and go.

>Oh, now you have me hungry for one of those breakfast casseroles! My
>brother cooked one in a crock pot once. So good

I dunno about the crock pot but the casseroles benefit from little
cubes of cream cheese.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 21:57:23 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 20:33:49 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> Lou Decruss wrote:
>>> I think it was Dave S. and Bob T. that told me that the sugar in the
>>> egg mixture was for browning and not for flavor.

>> Sweet is one of the four basic tastes... heat browns foods whether
>> there's sugar present or not... of course a fried brain poopy head
>> like you believes those two keyboard kooks.

>Another one who knows even less about Louis Camille Maillard.
>
>You have finally achieved my killfile. You have reached the pint of
>no return. You have not said anything accurate or of culinary value
>for quite a while. I think you purposely post crap just to get
>negative attention, And since nobody else bothers responding to your
>bullshit any more, maybe you'll wake up and just fade away.
>
>It's not like I'll have to worry about seeing you quoted in other
>people's posts. And I should I return the favor to everybody else who
>has you killfiled.
>
>Goodbye Sheldon Katz. I still reserve the right to refer to you in
>the past tense as an example of a nut case.
>
>sw

I'll give you a couple days. You like ****ing with him too much to
stop. Same with blake. It's fine and saves me from having to do it.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 20:16:54 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>> I think it was Dave S. and Bob T. that told me that the sugar in the
>> egg mixture was for browning and not for flavor and I said I'd try it.
>> So I did.
>>
>> I used a loaf of bread from a local chain called Breadsmith. They
>> call this loaf "Cherry Pie"
>>
>> http://i53.tinypic.com/2wdrfcx.jpg
>>
>> When sliced it looked like this:
>>
>> http://i55.tinypic.com/2helsv5.jpg
>>
>> I took five slices and let them soak in five eggs with a tablespoon of
>> sugar for about 20 minutes. Longer might have been better but we were
>> hungry. I baked instead of frying and didn't get a plated shot but
>> this is what came out of the oven:
>>
>> http://i53.tinypic.com/s2xndh.jpg
>>
>> There was no vanilla or cinnamon like I normally use and they were
>> fabulous. We had them with butter and honey and no syrup.
>>
>> Thanks to Bob and Dave and anyone else who pointed me in the proper
>> direction! They browned wonderfully.
>>
>> Lou

>Assuming baking is the norm for you, had did this batch compare as
>far as that browning goes?

No norm here but I'll be doing it the way I posted from now on.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 21, 5:04*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> Jerky Avins > wrote:

> >> Sweet is one of the four basic tastes... heat browns foods whether
> >> there's sugar present or not... of course a fried brain poopy head
> >> like you believes those two keyboard kooks.

> >Don't you know that caramel color is browned white sugar?

> >Jerky Avins

> Jerky thinks his shit is sweet... you moron... white sugar is sweet
> browned or not... IMBECILE.

How is that relevant to your assertion that because any food can be
charred, sugar doesn't aid browning? First you embarrass yourself by
showing ignorance and being abusive about it, now you get all ****y
because you've been called on it.

Jerry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 13:21:14 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:14:24 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 21:57:23 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Goodbye Sheldon Katz. I still reserve the right to refer to you in
>>>the past tense as an example of a nut case.

>> I'll give you a couple days. You like ****ing with him too much to
>> stop. Same with blake. It's fine and saves me from having to do it.

>Bet?

Sure if that's what it takes.

>How much?

2 pieces of french toast. And it better be at least as good as what I
made and posted pictures of. I like it with a couple sunny side eggs
on the side.

> Life's too short now to waste on Catz.

Take the 30 day challange. I've been reading for longer than that
with no filters and ignored him just fine.

>My killfile for individuals is probably 40 lines long now. It always maintained
>steady at under 5 until relatively recently.

I don't know what mine is. I'd have to go look at the other computer
that shemp says I don't have.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 11:37:55 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Avins >
wrote:

>On Aug 21, 5:04*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>> Jerky Avins > wrote:

>> >Don't you know that caramel color is browned white sugar?

>> >Jerky Avins

>> Jerky thinks his shit is sweet... you moron... white sugar is sweet
>> browned or not... IMBECILE.

>How is that relevant to your assertion that because any food can be
>charred, sugar doesn't aid browning? First you embarrass yourself by
>showing ignorance and being abusive about it, now you get all ****y
>because you've been called on it.
>
>Jerry

You're talking to a retarded creature. He gets called on stuff all
the time but you guys keep replying to his bullshit.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Me Me is offline

Who gives a rat's ass as to how many people are in your "killfile"?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 11:53:07 -0500, Lou Decruss
> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 07:08:38 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
>wrote:

-snip-

>>That looks OK-- but it is worlds away from the one Lou bought. That
>>had some nice crumb and some kind of assembly that I don't recognize.
>>A few cherry bits outside and marbling inside.
>>
>>How'd they do that?
>>
>>Jim

>I have no clue how they did it. Here's another shot of the loaf.
>
>http://i56.tinypic.com/98a4w3.jpg

Thanks-- Please don't move those pics for a few days. I posted links
to them on alt.bread.baking & hope someone can clue me in.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 16:15:18 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 11:53:07 -0500, Lou Decruss
> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 07:08:38 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
>>wrote:

>-snip-
>

>>>That looks OK-- but it is worlds away from the one Lou bought. That
>>>had some nice crumb and some kind of assembly that I don't recognize.
>>>A few cherry bits outside and marbling inside.
>>>
>>>How'd they do that?
>>>
>>>Jim

>>I have no clue how they did it. Here's another shot of the loaf.
>>
>>http://i56.tinypic.com/98a4w3.jpg
>>

>Thanks-- Please don't move those pics for a few days. I posted links
>to them on alt.bread.baking & hope someone can clue me in.
>
>Jim

The pics will be there until tinypic takes them away. Years I
suspect. Let us know what you come up with please?

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 11:53:07 -0500, Lou Decruss
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 07:08:38 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
> >wrote:

> -snip-
>

> >>That looks OK-- but it is worlds away from the one Lou bought. That
> >>had some nice crumb and some kind of assembly that I don't recognize.
> >>A few cherry bits outside and marbling inside.
> >>
> >>How'd they do that?
> >>
> >>Jim

> >I have no clue how they did it. Here's another shot of the loaf.
> >
> >http://i56.tinypic.com/98a4w3.jpg
> >

> Thanks-- Please don't move those pics for a few days. I posted links
> to them on alt.bread.baking & hope someone can clue me in.

Isn't that a "pull apart" loaf? It would be the same technique as
"monkey bread".

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/08/2011 2:37 PM, Jerry Avins wrote:

>> Jerky thinks his shit is sweet... you moron... white sugar is sweet
>> browned or not... IMBECILE.

> How is that relevant to your assertion that because any food can be
> charred, sugar doesn't aid browning? First you embarrass yourself by
> showing ignorance and being abusive about it, now you get all ****y
> because you've been called on it.

Sheldon does not get embarrassed. He would have to know better to get
embarrassed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 13:24:42 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 16:15:18 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
>wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 11:53:07 -0500, Lou Decruss
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 07:08:38 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
>> >wrote:

>> -snip-

>> >I have no clue how they did it. Here's another shot of the loaf.
>> >
>> >http://i56.tinypic.com/98a4w3.jpg
>> >

>> Thanks-- Please don't move those pics for a few days. I posted links
>> to them on alt.bread.baking & hope someone can clue me in.
>>

>Isn't that a "pull apart" loaf? It would be the same technique as
>"monkey bread".

That was my first thought-- but the inside marbling talked me out of
it. But that was also the first answer on the bread forum.

The pictures of the uncut loaf look just like monkey bread. But the
slices don't look like *my* monkey bread.

Duh-- I just went googling for 'sliced monkey bread'. I make dough
balls for mine. Looks like a lot of folks pat out a disk and
attack it with a bench knife. That gives a lot more 'character' for
sliced pieces.

So I'm a believer now-- Looks like 'monkey' bread dipped in cherry
pie filling. I might have to try this-- The closest Breadsmith is
4-5 hours from me.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/22/2011 10:24 AM, sf wrote:

> Isn't that a "pull apart" loaf? It would be the same technique as
> "monkey bread".

Monkey bread was one of the first breads that I made as a kid. I dipped
the dough balls in margarine and cinnamon sugar. Cooking was a lot more
fun in those days. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/22/2011 8:37 AM, Jerry Avins wrote:

> How is that relevant to your assertion that because any food can be
> charred, sugar doesn't aid browning? First you embarrass yourself by
> showing ignorance and being abusive about it, now you get all ****y
> because you've been called on it.
>
> Jerry
> --
> Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.

I learned how to make oven-baked French toast in a class in college. I
had never heard of such a thing before. I was surprised at how much
nicer the product comes out over cooking it on a griddle. Adding some
sugar to the egg mixture also improves browning. The downside is that
there's a greater chance of scorching the toast - heck, I've done that
too many times. The good part is that it adds a little excitement to the
task of making french toast.

A lot of local people, including me, like to make this dish using thick
slabs of Portuguese sweet bread. Regular bread French toast is a pretty
boring dish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 11:53:07 -0500, Lou Decruss
> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 07:08:38 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
>>wrote:

>-snip-
>

>>>That looks OK-- but it is worlds away from the one Lou bought. That
>>>had some nice crumb and some kind of assembly that I don't recognize.
>>>A few cherry bits outside and marbling inside.
>>>
>>>How'd they do that?
>>>
>>>Jim

>>I have no clue how they did it. Here's another shot of the loaf.
>>
>>http://i56.tinypic.com/98a4w3.jpg
>>

>Thanks-- Please don't move those pics for a few days. I posted links
>to them on alt.bread.baking & hope someone can clue me in.
>
>Jim

It looks like monkey bread but made with cherry pie filling.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/22/2011 2:47 PM, wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 16:15:18 -0400, Jim >
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 11:53:07 -0500, Lou Decruss
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 07:08:38 -0400, Jim >
>>> wrote:

>> -snip-

>>> I have no clue how they did it. Here's another shot of the loaf.

http://i56.tinypic.com/98a4w3.jpg

>> Thanks-- Please don't move those pics for a few days. I posted links
>> to them on alt.bread.baking& hope someone can clue me in.
>>
>> Jim

> It looks like monkey bread but made with cherry pie filling.

It looks like a plate of bloody human brains. This is not necessarily a
bad thing. :-)

> koko
> --
> Food is our common ground, a universal experience
> James Beard
>
> www.kokoscornerblog.com
>
> Natural Watkins Spices
> www.apinchofspices.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 19:46:08 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 13:24:42 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 16:15:18 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
>>wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 11:53:07 -0500, Lou Decruss

>>> -snip-

>>> Thanks-- Please don't move those pics for a few days. I posted links
>>> to them on alt.bread.baking & hope someone can clue me in.
>>>

>>Isn't that a "pull apart" loaf? It would be the same technique as
>>"monkey bread".

>That was my first thought-- but the inside marbling talked me out of
>it. But that was also the first answer on the bread forum.
>
>The pictures of the uncut loaf look just like monkey bread. But the
>slices don't look like *my* monkey bread.
>
>Duh-- I just went googling for 'sliced monkey bread'. I make dough
>balls for mine. Looks like a lot of folks pat out a disk and
>attack it with a bench knife. That gives a lot more 'character' for
>sliced pieces.
>
>So I'm a believer now-- Looks like 'monkey' bread dipped in cherry
>pie filling. I might have to try this-- The closest Breadsmith is
>4-5 hours from me.

Breadsmith is about 30 minutes for me but they're at a French Market a
block away every Saturday morning. I'll try to get there this week
and see if they'll tell me how they do it. It sure is an unusual
item. I wouldn't mind knowing as the loaf is seven bucks.

Lou