Old 19-08-2011, 10:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default About That Sugar In French Toast

I think it was Dave S. and Bob T. that told me that the sugar in the
egg mixture was for browning and not for flavor and I said I'd try it.
So I did.

I used a loaf of bread from a local chain called Breadsmith. They
call this loaf "Cherry Pie"

http://i53.tinypic.com/2wdrfcx.jpg

When sliced it looked like this:

http://i55.tinypic.com/2helsv5.jpg

I took five slices and let them soak in five eggs with a tablespoon of
sugar for about 20 minutes. Longer might have been better but we were
hungry. I baked instead of frying and didn't get a plated shot but
this is what came out of the oven:

http://i53.tinypic.com/s2xndh.jpg

There was no vanilla or cinnamon like I normally use and they were
fabulous. We had them with butter and honey and no syrup.

Thanks to Bob and Dave and anyone else who pointed me in the proper
direction! They browned wonderfully.

Lou

Old 19-08-2011, 11:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/19/2011 4:46 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:
[...]

That looks wonderful, I have never tried or cooked with bread like that.
Cherry Pie, I will see if they sell that around here.

My grandmother made the best French Bread, but I bake it in the oven. I
refrigerate it the night before and bake it it he next morning. You
could also bake it an hour or two later.

Oven baked Pain Perdu (French Toast)

1 lb. loaf stale French bread, diagonally sliced in 1" slices
8 eggs
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups Half & Half
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 1/3 cup sugar (or Splenda)
3/4 cup butter

Butter a 9" X 13" baking dish and arrange bread slices in the bottom.
In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, half and half, vanilla,
cinnamon and sugar. Pour over bread slices, then dot the bread with
plenty of butter, it will help the French Toastget nice and brown.

Cover, and refrigerate overnight. Before I add the butter, I flip the
bread over a couple of times, until it begins to get soft, then I quit
or the bread will tear. By some miracle, the bread soaks up most of the
liquid.

Bake in a 350 degree oven, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes. Allow to cool
for at least 5 minutes, or the bread will stick to the pan. Cover with
powdered sugar, then serve. You will not need any syrup,
because this French Toastis sweet.

Becca

Old 20-08-2011, 01:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
I think it was Dave S. and Bob T. that told me that the sugar in the
egg mixture was for browning and not for flavor.

Sweet is one of the four basic tastes... heat browns foods whether
there's sugar present or not... of course a fried brain poopy head
like you believes those two keyboard kooks.
Old 20-08-2011, 03:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 21:48:43 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:24:35 -0500, Ema Nymton wrote:

Cover, and refrigerate overnight.

I've never heard of soaking French bread. I simply dredged it. It's
not usually a very dense bread, but still...

I like it fine just dipped and flipped. But if I'm planning ahead I
do the overnight soak. The first time I did it I was sure it would
just end up soggy-- but it does change flavor & mouthfeel. . in a good
way.

Jim
Old 20-08-2011, 06:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 19, 7:57*pm, Sqwertz wrote:
On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 20:33:49 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Lou Decruss wrote:
I think it was Dave S. and Bob T. that told me that the sugar in the
egg mixture was for browning and not for flavor.

Sweet is one of the four basic tastes... heat browns foods whether
there's sugar present or not... of course a fried brain poopy head
like you believes those two keyboard kooks.

Another one who knows even less about Louis Camille Maillard.

You have finally achieved my killfile. *You have reached the pint of
no return. *You have not said anything accurate or of culinary value
for quite a while. *I think you purposely post crap just to get
negative attention, *And since nobody else bothers responding to your
bullshit any more, maybe you'll wake up and just fade away.

It's not like I'll have to worry about seeing you quoted in other
people's posts. *And I should I return the favor to everybody else who
has you killfiled.

Goodbye Sheldon Katz. *I still reserve the right to refer to you in
the past tense as an example of a nut case.

sw

The pint of no return? LOL!!

Old 20-08-2011, 07:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
[...]

==
Squertz does not like criticism...he will killfile you if you keep pointing out any errors that he may have made. Must be his Prussian blood.
==
Old 20-08-2011, 10:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:24:35 -0500, Ema Nymton wrote:

Cover, and refrigerate overnight.

I've never heard of soaking French bread. I simply dredged it. It's
not usually a very dense bread, but still...

I like it fine just dipped and flipped. But if I'm planning ahead I
do the overnight soak. The first time I did it I was sure it would
just end up soggy-- but it does change flavor & mouthfeel. . in a good
way.

I've heard of overnight soaking and use that technique with breakfast
casseroles, but I dunno about doing it with French toast. I'd be
afraid it would be too fragile to transfer it from the dish I soaked
it in to the pan I wanted to fry it in, so I'm with squirts on this
one. Dip and go.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Old 21-08-2011, 01:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
[...]

Assuming baking is the norm for you, had did this batch compare as
far as that browning goes?

--
Jean B.
Old 21-08-2011, 04:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 19, 8:33*pm, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
Lou Decruss wrote:
I think it was Dave S. and Bob T. that told me that the sugar in the
egg mixture was for browning and not for flavor.

Sweet is one of the four basic tastes... heat browns foods whether
there's sugar present or not... of course a fried brain poopy head
like you believes those two keyboard kooks.

Don't you know that caramel color is browned white sugar?

Jerry
Old 21-08-2011, 02:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Thank Gawd for self-proclaimed saviours and censors...they are needed...NOT.

Old 21-08-2011, 04:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
[...]

for sheldon, more like the fifth of no return.

your pal,
blake
Old 21-08-2011, 04:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 20:44:12 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 10:19:01 -0700 (PDT), merryb wrote:

On Aug 19, 7:57*pm, Sqwertz wrote:

You have finally achieved my killfile. *You have reached the pint of
no return. *You have not said anything accurate or of culinary value...

The pint of no return? LOL!!

In his case it's the "fifth of no return". He has hit rock bottom and
there are no stairs :-)

-sw

you ****ing rat!

your pal,
blake
Old 21-08-2011, 04:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 06:54:38 -0700 (PDT), Roy wrote:

Thank Gawd for self-proclaimed saviours and censors...they are needed...NOT.

actually, you seem somewhat sanctimonious your own self.

blake
Old 21-08-2011, 05:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 11:18:32 -0400, blake murphy
wrote:

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 20:44:12 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 10:19:01 -0700 (PDT), merryb wrote:

On Aug 19, 7:57*pm, Sqwertz wrote:

You have finally achieved my killfile. *You have reached the pint of
no return. *You have not said anything accurate or of culinary value...

The pint of no return? LOL!!

In his case it's the "fifth of no return". He has hit rock bottom and
there are no stairs :-)

-sw

you ****ing rat!

I'm surprised your reply wasn't about a case of fifths.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Old 21-08-2011, 08:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I've never had anyone call me sanctimonious before...I try not to be. I don't pretend to be any better (or worse) than any other poster here. I've lived a bit so I do know how people interact.