Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Leftover Campbell's Tomato soup

Shoot me. Or ignore the dinner invitation‹oh, wait, there isn't one.
:-0)

I had about 1/3 can of tomato soup (condensed) left from my sloppy joes
and mixed it with equal amount of water, then added some instant beef
base and more water and brought it to boil, then stirred in about 1/2
tablespoon of pesto. Pretty tasty.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 27, 2011. Read it and weep.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 20:39:15 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, Sqwertz
> wrote,
>On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 19:51:53 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> Shoot me. Or ignore the dinner invitation‹oh, wait, there isn't one.
>>:-0)
>>
>> I had about 1/3 can of tomato soup (condensed) left from my sloppy joes
>> and mixed it with equal amount of water, then added some instant beef
>> base and more water and brought it to boil, then stirred in about 1/2
>> tablespoon of pesto. Pretty tasty.

>But there's nothing to chew. Throw in some potatoes, IMO. Unless you
>can chew it it's just a beverage.

I think the same thing whenever I see one of those chefs on TV throw
their soup in a blender.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/31/2011 7:51 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Shoot me. Or ignore the dinner invitation‹oh, wait, there isn't one.
> :-0)
>
> I had about 1/3 can of tomato soup (condensed) left from my sloppy joes
> and mixed it with equal amount of water, then added some instant beef
> base and more water and brought it to boil, then stirred in about 1/2
> tablespoon of pesto. Pretty tasty.

Peasant! With all that I would have done the same. Shucks, we were
buying hurricane season supplies at Big Lots the other day and we bought
four quart boxes of tomato herb soup from some outfit I never heard of
before. Since we cook with gas we can still cook, with the windows open
of course, even if the power goes off.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> If you have natural or LP gas, then you can still cook *anything*.
> That's no reason to buy soup IMO :-)
>
> -sw

Then it's a good thing I didn't think to ask your permission, eh?
Ppfftthhhhggbtt!
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 27, 2011. Read it and weep.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 16:16:08 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Sqwertz > wrote:
> >
> >> If you have natural or LP gas, then you can still cook *anything*.
> >> That's no reason to buy soup IMO :-)

> > Then it's a good thing I didn't think to ask your permission, eh?
> > Ppfftthhhhggbtt!

> Can I wave my puppy dog's tail here?
>
> -sw

Hey, it's Usenet. You can do anything you jolly well please. :-)

--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 27, 2011. Read it and weep.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 16:16:08 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Sqwertz > wrote:
>>
>>> If you have natural or LP gas, then you can still cook *anything*.
>>> That's no reason to buy soup IMO :-)

>> Then it's a good thing I didn't think to ask your permission, eh?
>> Ppfftthhhhggbtt!

> Can I wave my puppy dog's tail here?

Don't do that! Pete C. will think it is filthy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Shirley" <> wrote > Peasant! With all that I would have done the
same. Shucks, we were
> buying hurricane season supplies at Big Lots the other day and we bought
> four quart boxes of tomato herb soup from some outfit I never heard of
> before. Since we cook with gas we can still cook, with the windows open of
> course, even if the power goes off.

At risk of boring lots of folks here (which is fair because the silly
quarrels bore me) I would be very interested in your hurricane supplies
list. One of our favorite and unusual ones is a supply of Johnson & Johnson
baby powder and a box of corn starch. The mix is soothing to heat rashes
and helps a little if a real bath is impossible.
Another ridiculous preparation is we freeze water in our muffin tins and
sack the 'cubes'. They hold better than ice cubes. I reckon we need to get
started on that. I see Hurricane Emily is being announced. At 40 mph she's
just a sissy but it may be good practice. Our power goes out if the
hummingbirds get raucous. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message

> "George Shirley" <> wrote > Peasant! With all that I would have done the
> same. Shucks, we were
>> buying hurricane season supplies at Big Lots the other day and we bought
>> four quart boxes of tomato herb soup from some outfit I never heard of
>> before. Since we cook with gas we can still cook, with the windows open
>> of course, even if the power goes off.

> At risk of boring lots of folks here (which is fair because the silly
> quarrels bore me) I would be very interested in your hurricane supplies
> list. One of our favorite and unusual ones is a supply of Johnson &
> Johnson baby powder and a box of corn starch. The mix is soothing to heat
> rashes and helps a little if a real bath is impossible.
> Another ridiculous preparation is we freeze water in our muffin tins
> and sack the 'cubes'. They hold better than ice cubes. I reckon we need
> to get started on that. I see Hurricane Emily is being announced. At 40
> mph she's just a sissy but it may be good practice. Our power goes out if
> the hummingbirds get raucous. Polly

Cornstarch is not recommended for heat rash because if there is a fungal
infection it can make it thrive.

I don't keep an actual kit any more. I did when we lived in NY because it
was strongly recommended on the military base. I kept everything in
suitcases near the front door.

Now I just keep extra canned goods, flashlights, batteries, a battery
operated radio and an extra pair of medical hose. I don't have extra
prescription meds. I know I should but my insurance won't pay for it and I
don't have enough money to pay out of pocket. It would be thousands of
dollars to get one month's worth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Another ridiculous preparation is we freeze water in our muffin tins
> and sack the 'cubes'. They hold better than ice cubes.

That's a superhint! The ice cubes here are so small they melt in moments.
I start way ahead making extras and it is a pain. If I make bigger ones
like muffins, the Prosecco will stay cold longer! Thank you. (You can't
use loaf pan ice nor blue packs for a wine bucket.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 18:41:41 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 16:16:08 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> Then it's a good thing I didn't think to ask your permission, eh?
>>> Ppfftthhhhggbtt!

>> Can I wave my puppy dog's tail here?
>>
>> -sw

> Hey, it's Usenet. You can do anything you jolly well please. :-)

christ, please don't tell sheldon. god alone knows what he might start
waving.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 17:05:20 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 16:16:08 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> Then it's a good thing I didn't think to ask your permission, eh?
>>> Ppfftthhhhggbtt!

>> Can I wave my puppy dog's tail here?

> Don't do that! Pete C. will think it is filthy!

<snort>

maybe if we all do it he will become disgusted enough to leave the
premises.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 1, 8:31*am, George Shirley > wrote:
> On 7/31/2011 7:51 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > Shoot me. *Or ignore the dinner invitation‹oh, wait, there isn't one.
> > :-0)

> > I had about 1/3 can of tomato soup (condensed) left from my sloppy joes
> > and mixed it with equal amount of water, then added some instant beef
> > base and more water and brought it to boil, then stirred in about 1/2
> > tablespoon of pesto. *Pretty tasty.

> Peasant! With all that I would have done the same. Shucks, we were
> buying hurricane season supplies at Big Lots the other day and we bought
> four quart boxes of tomato herb soup from some outfit I never heard of
> before. Since we cook with gas we can still cook, with the windows open
> of course, even if the power goes off.

Yummy. Is this Manuel Noriega?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 1, 4:16*pm, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *Sqwertz > wrote:
> > If you have natural or LP gas, then you can still cook *anything*.
> > That's no reason to buy soup IMO :-)

> > -sw

> Then it's a good thing I didn't think to ask your permission, eh? *
> Ppfftthhhhggbtt!

LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "Polly Esther" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Another ridiculous preparation is we freeze water in our muffin tins
>> and sack the 'cubes'. They hold better than ice cubes.

> That's a superhint! The ice cubes here are so small they melt in moments.
> I start way ahead making extras and it is a pain. If I make bigger ones
> like muffins, the Prosecco will stay cold longer! Thank you. (You can't
> use loaf pan ice nor blue packs for a wine bucket.)

What taking a bowl and filling it with water. Ultimately, a size that
when frozen this "rounded" block of ice will sit inside the wine bucket.
THEN inserting an empty bottle into the water so when you freeze it you
have a formed surround for your prosecco bottle in the block, which you
then drop into your ice bucket..... do you see where I'm going with this...?