Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Campbell's cream of tomato soup

Doctoring up Campbell's condensed cream of tomato soup? Can you raise it up
a notch?
Do any have a great way to zip it up a bit. I just bought my first cans in
20 years because it was on sale for 50 cents/can at our local Prophylactic
Emporium. I remember it being quite boring as a child. It was so cheap today
I had to get some to try it, if for no other reason to relive the past.
Do you add milk or water or a combination?
Do you add anything else? Tomato paste, tomato sauce, catsup?
Do you spice it? Fresh or dried herbs, parsley?
Have you ever made seafood chowder with it? Or any other chowder like dish?
Thanks for any and all thoughts.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote in message
> Doctoring up Campbell's condensed cream of tomato soup? Can you raise it
> up a notch?
> Do any have a great way to zip it up a bit. I just bought my first cans
> in 20 years because it was on sale for 50 cents/can at our local
> Prophylactic Emporium. I remember it being quite boring as a child. It was
> so cheap today I had to get some to try it, if for no other reason to
> relive the past.
> Do you add milk or water or a combination?
> Do you add anything else? Tomato paste, tomato sauce, catsup?
> Do you spice it? Fresh or dried herbs, parsley?
> Have you ever made seafood chowder with it? Or any other chowder like
> dish?
> Thanks for any and all thoughts.

I didn't know they made cream of tomato. I can remember buying their tomato
soup many years ago and arguing with my roommate as to how to make it. He
insisted on putting milk in it and I wanted just water. Can't remember who
won that one.

I haven't bought that stuff in years. I do occasionally buy a boxed tomato
soup. It's either Imagine or Pacific. Can't remember which brand. It's
not condensed. Just heat and eat.

I had a cookbook some years back that was my mom's. I think it was cooking
for two or some such thing. It combined two different kinds of condensed
canned soups for new flavor combinations. I thought it was a hoot. That's
cooking?

If I had it, I would probably just make it as is with a grilled cheese on
the side.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 16, 3:46*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> I had a cookbook some years back that was my mom's. *I think it was cooking
> for two or some such thing. *It combined two different kinds of condensed
> canned soups for new flavor combinations. *I thought it was a hoot. *That's
> cooking?

There are plenty of folks here who use condensed canned soups as
ingredients, and seem rather proud of the concoctions. They seem to
think of that as "cooking." If you disagree they might "plonk" you.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Kent" > wrote:

> Doctoring up Campbell's condensed cream of tomato soup? Can you raise it up
> a notch?

Eating it really hot is about the best I can do. :-)

> Do you add milk or water or a combination?

Usually a combination. It's not as good as it used to be, though still
adequate for dunking a grilled cheese sandwich.

No, but it's an ingredient in a ground beef-green bean dish I haven't
made in years.

> Thanks for any and all thoughts.
>
> Kent

I've bought boxed at my food co-op; it's pretty good.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote in
:

> Doctoring up Campbell's condensed cream of tomato soup? Can you raise
> it up a notch?

I make my own tomato soup, based on my mother's quick tomato soup recipe.

1 large can tomatoes, no salt added
1 small onion, chopped
1 tbsp butter or oil
1 handful regular oatmeal
milk
salt, white pepper and whatever else you fancy...hot sauces, etc.

Sauté onion in butter, add tomatoes, add water to cover, bring to a boil.
Add handful oatmeal, let simmer 5 minutes. Season to taste. Add milk to
desired colour. Bring to boil again, remove from heat and let stand.

At this point, you can either serve it as is with crackers or toasted bread
or you can pass it through the blender to get a cream of tomato. This
should take about ten minutes and will be healthier than whatever you get
from a can.

You can also make a tasty cabbage soup by using chopped cabbage instead of
tomato. You have to simmer for 15 minutes though to cook the cabbage, then
add the oatmeal, five minutes, add milk, bring to boil, remove from heat
(you know the drill). And this one can't be puréed.

--

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag
and carrying a cross.

Sinclair Lewis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnrYMafCzeE

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 16, 8:09*am, Michel Boucher > wrote:

> When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag
> and carrying a cross.
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Sinclair Lewis

Sean Wilentz was on Fresh Air the other day. Here's a link to the
transcript:
http://www.npr.org/templates/transcr...ryId=130534982

And here is the New Yorker article he was speaking about:
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...urrentPage=all

I just posted a link on Facebook and wrote, "EVERYONE SHOULD READ
THIS. It is the smartest and most informative political writing out
there. This guy is a brilliant historian, not a kooky conspiracy
theorist."

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote in message
> Doctoring up Campbell's condensed cream of tomato soup? Can you raise it
> up a notch?
> Do any have a great way to zip it up a bit. I just bought my first cans
> in 20 years because it was on sale for 50 cents/can at our local
> Prophylactic Emporium.

I forget if this takes milk or water to dilute, but use milk to make it
creamier. Add some grated cheese, basil, or whatever herbs you happen to
like.

Thanks for the reminder. I've not had it for a while, but for a Saturday
quick dinner with a sandwich, it is like childhood. I'll pick some up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16/10/2010 10:05 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Thanks for the reminder. I've not had it for a while, but for a Saturday
> quick dinner with a sandwich, it is like childhood. I'll pick some up.

Yes, it is like childhood. We had a lot of Campbells soups when I was a
kid.... tomato, cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, ox tail, scotch
broth. I have to confess that, while I always ate it, I was never crazy
about it and just wasn't much of a soup eater. Then I discovered how
good real soups are. I had several failures before going to a cooking
demonstration where the chef showed us how to do butternut squash and
pumpkin soup. Wow. That stuff was good.

There's just the two of us here and,while somewhat inspired, I still
don't do much soup because I don't want to be eating it forever. I buy
the Knorr or Gardenay soup in tetra packs. It is a heck of a lot better
than canned condensed soups. Last week my wife got me some Baxters
Lentil with smoky bacon, which was pretty good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 01:46:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I didn't know they made cream of tomato.

It exists.
http://www.viewpoints.com/images/rev...96969_full.jpg

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 05:42:04 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

> On Oct 16, 3:46*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> >

> > I had a cookbook some years back that was my mom's. *I think it was cooking
> > for two or some such thing. *It combined two different kinds of condensed
> > canned soups for new flavor combinations. *I thought it was a hoot. *That's
> > cooking?
> >

> There are plenty of folks here who use condensed canned soups as
> ingredients, and seem rather proud of the concoctions. They seem to
> think of that as "cooking." If you disagree they might "plonk" you.

Certain people are plonked for their nasty attitude and the way they
express their opinion about the recipe. AFAIC, people can post as
many recipes using soup as they like because I'm able to work my way
around the soup part with fresh ingredients.

My favorite recipe that uses soup is King Ranch Chicken. I love it,
but soup is not an ingredient in my version. I also used only home
made stock in recipes until just a few years ago when I discovered how
good the store bought variety was. Canned and boxed broth is a
convenience. If posters can't figure out how to work around it as an
ingredient and incapable of posting a civil query about an
alternative, they shouldn't be here because they're far too stupid and
ill mannered to be participating in a public forum.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 08:02:37 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

> No, but it's an ingredient in a ground beef-green bean dish I haven't
> made in years.

Sounds like another comfort food dish and I'm all about that lately.
If you ever remember the recipe, please post it.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Kent" > wrote in message
>> Doctoring up Campbell's condensed cream of tomato soup? Can you raise it
>> up a notch?
>> Do any have a great way to zip it up a bit. I just bought my first cans
>> in 20 years because it was on sale for 50 cents/can at our local
>> Prophylactic Emporium. I remember it being quite boring as a child. It
>> was so cheap today I had to get some to try it, if for no other reason to
>> relive the past.
>> Do you add milk or water or a combination?
>> Do you add anything else? Tomato paste, tomato sauce, catsup?
>> Do you spice it? Fresh or dried herbs, parsley?
>> Have you ever made seafood chowder with it? Or any other chowder like
>> dish?
>> Thanks for any and all thoughts.

> I didn't know they made cream of tomato. I can remember buying their
> tomato soup many years ago and arguing with my roommate as to how to make
> it. He insisted on putting milk in it and I wanted just water. Can't
> remember who won that one.
>
> I haven't bought that stuff in years. I do occasionally buy a boxed
> tomato soup. It's either Imagine or Pacific. Can't remember which brand.
> It's not condensed. Just heat and eat.
>
> I had a cookbook some years back that was my mom's. I think it was
> cooking for two or some such thing. It combined two different kinds of
> condensed canned soups for new flavor combinations. I thought it was a
> hoot. That's cooking?
>
> If I had it, I would probably just make it as is with a grilled cheese on
> the side.
>I think my mother always added milk and it became cream of tomato soup,
>sort of.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 05:42:04 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> > wrote:
>
>> On Oct 16, 3:46 am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> >

>> > I had a cookbook some years back that was my mom's. I think it was
>> > cooking
>> > for two or some such thing. It combined two different kinds of
>> > condensed
>> > canned soups for new flavor combinations. I thought it was a hoot.
>> > That's
>> > cooking?
>> >

>> There are plenty of folks here who use condensed canned soups as
>> ingredients, and seem rather proud of the concoctions. They seem to
>> think of that as "cooking." If you disagree they might "plonk" you.
>>

> Certain people are plonked for their nasty attitude and the way they
> express their opinion about the recipe. AFAIC, people can post as
> many recipes using soup as they like because I'm able to work my way
> around the soup part with fresh ingredients.
>
> My favorite recipe that uses soup is King Ranch Chicken. I love it,
> but soup is not an ingredient in my version. I also used only home
> made stock in recipes until just a few years ago when I discovered how
> good the store bought variety was. Canned and boxed broth is a
> convenience. If posters can't figure out how to work around it as an
> ingredient and incapable of posting a civil query about an
> alternative, they shouldn't be here because they're far too stupid and
> ill mannered to be participating in a public forum.

Have you tried Better than Bouillon?
http://www.seasonedwithlove.com/chickenbouillon.jpg We think this is better
than any canned or boxed product we've tried. I frequently use it simply to
enrich a stock or soup. In small quantities you don't know it's there. The
chicken Better than Bouillon product is uniquely better than their other
similar products..

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 10:47:04 -0700, Kent wrote:

> Have you tried Better than Bouillon?
> http://www.seasonedwithlove.com/chickenbouillon.jpg We think this is better
> than any canned or boxed product we've tried. I frequently use it simply to
> enrich a stock or soup. In small quantities you don't know it's there. The
> chicken Better than Bouillon product is uniquely better than their other
> similar products..
>
> Kent

i haven't tried the chicken, but i use the beef version in some dishes like
pot roast or stew.

how is the chicken 'uniquely better'?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 23:42:48 -0700, Kent wrote:

> Doctoring up Campbell's condensed cream of tomato soup? Can you raise it up
> a notch?
> Do any have a great way to zip it up a bit. I just bought my first cans in
> 20 years because it was on sale for 50 cents/can at our local Prophylactic
> Emporium. I remember it being quite boring as a child. It was so cheap today
> I had to get some to try it, if for no other reason to relive the past.
> Do you add milk or water or a combination?
> Do you add anything else? Tomato paste, tomato sauce, catsup?
> Do you spice it? Fresh or dried herbs, parsley?
> Have you ever made seafood chowder with it? Or any other chowder like dish?
> Thanks for any and all thoughts.
>
> Kent

i don't think i've made such since i was a boy scout, but i used to like
diced onions in it.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 10:47:04 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:

> Have you tried Better than Bouillon?

Yes. I don't like it any better than the cubes or granules and can't
understand why it gets so many positive reviews here. Makes me think
posters don't have a clue when I read about it now.

> http://www.seasonedwithlove.com/chickenbouillon.jpg We think this is better
> than any canned or boxed product we've tried. I frequently use it simply to
> enrich a stock or soup. In small quantities you don't know it's there. The
> chicken Better than Bouillon product is uniquely better than their other
> similar products..

Similar products like Herb-ox? It's good for flavoring rice and
that's where it stops AFAIC.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 14:11:07 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 10:47:04 -0700, Kent wrote:
> >>

> > Have you tried Better than Bouillon?
> > http://www.seasonedwithlove.com/chickenbouillon.jpg We think this is better
> > than any canned or boxed product we've tried. I frequently use it simply to
> > enrich a stock or soup. In small quantities you don't know it's there. The
> > chicken Better than Bouillon product is uniquely better than their other
> > similar products..
> >
> > Kent

> i haven't tried the chicken, but i use the beef version in some dishes like
> pot roast or stew.
>
> how is the chicken 'uniquely better'?

It's not. Eye of the beholder and all that stuff.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 16/10/2010 10:05 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the reminder. I've not had it for a while, but for a Saturday
> > quick dinner with a sandwich, it is like childhood. I'll pick some up.

> Yes, it is like childhood. We had a lot of Campbells soups when I was a
> kid.... tomato, cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, ox tail, scotch
> broth. I have to confess that, while I always ate it, I was never crazy

Do they even make Scotch broth anymore? I couldn't
find it at Safeway. I don't remember ever seeing Oxtail.

Campbell's soups have gone way downhill. Their older
soups have been reformulated to turn them into cheap crap,
and the newer soups are crap from birth. If I saw a can
of Scotch broth, I might buy that, but otherwise I'll
never buy another Campbell's product again. There aren't
too many brand names for which the generic product is
better than the brand name, but Campbell's has become
one of them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" wrote

>> My favorite recipe that uses soup is King Ranch Chicken. I love it,
>> but soup is not an ingredient in my version. I also used only home
>> made stock in recipes until just a few years ago when I discovered how
>> good the store bought variety was.

> Have you tried Better than Bouillon?
> http://www.seasonedwithlove.com/chickenbouillon.jpg We think this is
> better than any canned or boxed product we've tried. I frequently use it
> simply to enrich a stock or soup. In small quantities you don't know it's
> there. The chicken Better than Bouillon product is uniquely better than
> their other similar products..

I use canned soups sometimes. There's a few recipes just easier that way
and they work fine. Canned soups work better in crockpots than ones with
milk which will curdle.

I definitely make my own stock. Going right now is 2 gallons, bone
chicken/duck broth, to be frozen in 2 cup bags. It will make 16 bags. When
I run out of stock that's home made, I tend to (in this order): Minors
Chicken Base (refrigerate once open, add some to water to taste), knorrs
cubes, and a particular one I'm out of I get at a local 'Little Israel'
place called 'chicken consomme' powder.

I'll use an occasional boxed broth if it's one I don't make (beef, pork) and
I keep granulated (Better than bullion I think) in beef for those occasional
dishes.

Main reason for making my own poultry broth is cost as we go through 2cups a
day (1 1/4 cups just for the pets). This needs to be bone broth (joint
issues, me and pets). The pets need salt free (or near it) if used long
term. So, this 2 gallon load (roughly) will make about 16 days worth. Most
of you probably don't use a gallon of broth a week so the spare box or can
is no issue. Most of you also are probably not using it to suppliment a
person (me) and a dog (Cash) who don't seem to absorb the pill/powder
glucosamine/chrontritin correctly but work really well with the natural
sources. I also use it for the cat (she gets 3 TB a day, aides preventing
joint issues and adds water to her diet) and my 'new to me' 17yo 'puppy'
(rescue pooch as of 3 weeks ago).

Side note, *if* any of you are aging and your joints ache, or you have pets
with that, Making your own deep bone broth consomme is very easy and the
ingredients may well be cast off leftovers of other baked poultry. Next time
you bake a chicken, just use the carcass. You can break it up and freeze
those until you have enough. The current batch has 1 duck carcass (I
normally separate but was a little short on bones), 2 cornish hen
carcasasses and a chicken carcass. Also this time 2 chicken backs.

Basically 1/2 fill your crockpot with broken up carcass (can use bones from
baked parts too) then fill to near top with water. Turn on low and come back
24 hours later. You can add other things if you wish but if pet feeding
leave out onion family (garlic, onion, leek) and salt. Salt can be added
later for human use if doing one batch for both (does not have to be cooked
in with it). Strain and freeze in usable portions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Kent wrote:

>> Doctoring up Campbell's condensed cream of tomato soup? Can you raise it
>> up
>> a notch?

Kent, lots of ways.

Simple soups- One or more of these:

Fresh or dried basil is a common one.
Hot sauce, Chochula (wooden round ball top if the name is slightly off)
slivered onion (red or sweets best)
HOT *firm* sausage, diced small (Omit basil)
Black pepper (need at least one more off the list)
Rice (raw, whole) needs one or more of the above with suggested Black pepper
and HOT sausage
---- those above make a simple nice soup

Want more advanced?

Yes, you can make a seafood soup of them but you will need to spice it well
and frankly crushed tomatoes work better. This is because the tinned
campbells tomato soups are 'sweetish' which will come out a bit too much.
If you are going to try that, use dashi (fish stock) for the 'water' to mix
with the can. 1.5 cans dashi to 1 can tomato soup will make a reasonable
enough base for a manhattan chowder. Not perfect, but not expensive either
(the powdered dashi gotten in bulk at 1,000 3/4 cup servings is 17$ here and
no, that isn't a typo. .017 cents per serving)

The tomato base for a mix with ground beef, seasonings of choice added for a
meatloaf. In this case the faint sweetness can be a plus as it's not
overbearing. Use undiluted for this.

If you like a soupy but not overly spiced 'spanish rice' then make the soup
to directions and add rice ( rice at 1/2 the volume of the soup) and add a
bit of chopped onion and bell pepper and black pepper. Add tobasco or other
hot sauce (cholula- wooden all above type good choice).

You can make a sort of 'gumbo-sh' by taking the above spanish rice, adding a
second can then chicken broth for the dilution (vice water). File powder,
okra, sasuage (cooked and drained first unless a link sort) or chicken
(boneless bites, dark better for this such as thighs). Shrimp also if using
the sausage sort. Chili powder blend and black pepper to taste again.
Chopped mildish chiles work well.

I don't do any of these regular now due to reduced sodium needs in the
house, but they came up as simple comfort foods made quickly in the past.
Especially in our Japan years when I'd have to stock the house for up to 4
months worth of foods while I'd be at sea. Main base Sasebo Japan commisary
is small (about 3 7-Elevens slapped together) but did an excellent job at
stocking as much variety as they could in the space. The space just didnt
support everything so you learned to make due. I'm sure plenty here also
live in small rural areas and the only close by shopping is limited so know
how to work with what they have until it's time for a distance trip to a
larger store.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 12:57:18 -0700, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

> Campbell's soups have gone way downhill. Their older
> soups have been reformulated to turn them into cheap crap,
> and the newer soups are crap from birth. If I saw a can
> of Scotch broth, I might buy that, but otherwise I'll
> never buy another Campbell's product again. There aren't
> too many brand names for which the generic product is
> better than the brand name, but Campbell's has become
> one of them.

I doubt they've changed, but you probably have.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Do they even make Scotch broth anymore? I couldn't
> find it at Safeway. I don't remember ever seeing Oxtail.

http://www.campbellsoup.com/condense....aspx?prd_prod
uct_id=2281&family=all

Didn't see oxtail or Scotch broth.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 16, 3:11*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:

> Main reason for making my own poultry broth is cost as we go through 2cups a
> day (1 1/4 cups just for the pets). *This needs to be bone broth (joint
> issues, me and pets). *The pets need salt free (or near it) if used long
> term. *So, this 2 gallon load (roughly) will make about 16 days worth. *Most
> of you probably don't use a gallon of broth a week so the spare box or can
> is no issue. Most of you also are probably not using it to suppliment a
> person (me) and a dog (Cash) who don't seem to absorb the pill/powder
> glucosamine/chrontritin correctly but work really well with the natural
> sources. *I also use it for the cat (she gets 3 TB a day, aides preventing
> joint issues and adds water to her diet) and my 'new to me' 17yo 'puppy'
> (rescue pooch as of 3 weeks ago).

Do you take your pets to a psychiatrist too? Maybe pilates? Oh,
we're late for kitty's appointment for her cleansing colonic.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 12:57:18 -0700, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>> Campbell's soups have gone way downhill. Their older
>> soups have been reformulated to turn them into cheap crap,
>> and the newer soups are crap from birth. If I saw a can
>> of Scotch broth, I might buy that, but otherwise I'll
>> never buy another Campbell's product again. There aren't
>> too many brand names for which the generic product is
>> better than the brand name, but Campbell's has become
>> one of them.

> I doubt they've changed, but you probably have.

Sure they have. For one thing, some (I haven't examined all of
them) now contain HFCS.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bwrrrrryan wrote:

>On Oct 16, 3:11*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:
>>

>> Main reason for making my own poultry broth is cost as we go through 2cups a
>> day (1 1/4 cups just for the pets). *This needs to be bone broth (joint
>> issues, me and pets). *The pets need salt free (or near it) if used long
>> term. *So, this 2 gallon load (roughly) will make about 16 days worth. *Most
>> of you probably don't use a gallon of broth a week so the spare box or can
>> is no issue. Most of you also are probably not using it to suppliment a
>> person (me) and a dog (Cash) who don't seem to absorb the pill/powder
>> glucosamine/chrontritin correctly but work really well with the natural
>> sources. *I also use it for the cat (she gets 3 TB a day, aides preventing
>> joint issues and adds water to her diet) and my 'new to me' 17yo 'puppy'
>> (rescue pooch as of 3 weeks ago).
>>

>Do you take your pets to a psychiatrist too? Maybe pilates? Oh,
>we're late for kitty's appointment for her cleansing colonic.

Better than how you get your glucosamine joint juice... from sucking
penis. http://jointjuice.com/?gclid=CKfp4fbq2KQCFYs65QodKlcoIg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 16, 8:45*pm, BlueBrooke > wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 14:56:06 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:
> >In article >,
> > Mark Thorson > wrote:

> >> Do they even make Scotch broth anymore? *I couldn't
> >> find it at Safeway. *I don't remember ever seeing Oxtail.

> >http://www.campbellsoup.com/condense...ails.aspx?prd_...
> >uct_id=2281&family=all

> >Didn't see oxtail or Scotch broth.

> I just saw this somewhere this past week -- maybe in a magazine? Can't
> remember where, of course. *But oxtail was of the original offerings:
>
> http://campbellsoup.ca/en/about/timeline.asp
>
> 1897 -- The Joseph Campbell Company develops a formula for condensed
> soups. The five original varieties include: Tomato, Consommé,
> Vegetable, Chicken and Oxtail.

==
Any resemblance of Campbell's tomato soup to quality tomato soup is
purely coincidental. I refuse to boy it...period.
==
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 10:47:04 -0700, Kent wrote:
>>>

>> Have you tried Better than Bouillon?
>> http://www.seasonedwithlove.com/chickenbouillon.jpg We think this is
>> better
>> than any canned or boxed product we've tried. I frequently use it simply
>> enrich a stock or soup. In small quantities you don't know it's there.
>> The
>> chicken Better than Bouillon product is uniquely better than their other
>> similar products..
>>
>> Kent

> i haven't tried the chicken, but i use the beef version in some dishes
> like
> pot roast or stew.
>
> how is the chicken 'uniquely better'?
>
> your pal,
> blake

The Chicken "Better Than Bouillon" tastes like chicken stock, without too
much salt. Almost all bouillons in the food universe don't taste like the
label on the bottle suggests it might. This is particularly true of any beef
bouillon or stock, in a can, jar, or envelope. The expense of extracting
beef flavor from the cow is too much for the market to bear. Chicken, on the
other hand, is fairly cheap, and a company can make a decent condensed
chicken stock. The "Better Than...Chicken.." has been our favorite for some
time. You have to shop for the larger containers of the chicken flavor. If
you buy randomly you'll spend too much. It's kind of like shopping foir A-1
Sauce at a decent price.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 12:57:18 -0700, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>>
>> Campbell's soups have gone way downhill. Their older
>> soups have been reformulated to turn them into cheap crap,
>> and the newer soups are crap from birth. If I saw a can
>> of Scotch broth, I might buy that, but otherwise I'll
>> never buy another Campbell's product again. There aren't
>> too many brand names for which the generic product is
>> better than the brand name, but Campbell's has become
>> one of them.

> I doubt they've changed, but you probably have.

A good point!

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 10:47:04 -0700, Kent wrote:
> >>

> > Have you tried Better than Bouillon?
> > http://www.seasonedwithlove.com/chickenbouillon.jpg We think this is better
> > than any canned or boxed product we've tried. I frequently use it simply to
> > enrich a stock or soup. In small quantities you don't know it's there. The
> > chicken Better than Bouillon product is uniquely better than their other
> > similar products..
> >
> > Kent

> i haven't tried the chicken, but i use the beef version in some dishes like
> pot roast or stew.
>
> how is the chicken 'uniquely better'?

It's a meat base. Better than bouillon? I think so; just check the table
of contents -- bouillons do not usually contain actual pieces of meat.
And the flavor is way superior.

B-t-B is just one brand of meat base, but it's easier to find, if a bit
more expensive, than some others. For other brands/flavors/better
prices, check out your local restaurant supply house.

I keep jars of chicken, turkey, beef, ham, and mushroom (well, OK;
that's not meat) bases around all the time. Great for adding flavor to
all sorts of dishes (I use them mostly for pan sauces). The salt content
means that they'll keep forever.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" > wrote in message
On Oct 16, 3:46 am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> I had a cookbook some years back that was my mom's. I think it was cooking
> for two or some such thing. It combined two different kinds of condensed
> canned soups for new flavor combinations. I thought it was a hoot. That's
> cooking?

There are plenty of folks here who use condensed canned soups as
ingredients, and seem rather proud of the concoctions. They seem to
think of that as "cooking." If you disagree they might "plonk" you.

---
Yes. I know they are often used as an ingredient, but this isn't what they
did. They merely combined two soups to make a new soup. I remember that
chicken gumbo was used as one ingredient. I don't even think they make that
any more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 05:42:04 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
>> > wrote:

>>> There are plenty of folks here who use condensed canned soups as
>>> ingredients, and seem rather proud of the concoctions. They seem to
>>> think of that as "cooking." If you disagree they might "plonk" you.
>>>

>> Certain people are plonked for their nasty attitude and the way they
>> express their opinion about the recipe. AFAIC, people can post as
>> many recipes using soup as they like because I'm able to work my way
>> around the soup part with fresh ingredients.
>>
>> My favorite recipe that uses soup is King Ranch Chicken. I love it,
>> but soup is not an ingredient in my version. I also used only home
>> made stock in recipes until just a few years ago when I discovered how
>> good the store bought variety was. Canned and boxed broth is a
>> convenience. If posters can't figure out how to work around it as an
>> ingredient and incapable of posting a civil query about an
>> alternative, they shouldn't be here because they're far too stupid and
>> ill mannered to be participating in a public forum.
>>

> Have you tried Better than Bouillon?
> http://www.seasonedwithlove.com/chickenbouillon.jpg We think this is
> better than any canned or boxed product we've tried. I frequently use it
> simply to enrich a stock or soup. In small quantities you don't know it's
> there. The chicken Better than Bouillon product is uniquely better than
> their other similar products..

I buy the organic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> There are plenty of folks here who use condensed canned soups as
> ingredients, and seem rather proud of the concoctions. They seem to
> think of that as "cooking." If you disagree they might "plonk" you.

Heaven forfend... <g>
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" wrote ,
> Mark Thorson wrote:

>> Do they even make Scotch broth anymore?

> Didn't see oxtail or Scotch broth.

Dave, I seem to recall Scotch Broth in a campbells can. They often roll out
a new one for a bit and see if it sells.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

>> Main reason for making my own poultry broth is cost as we go through
>> 2cups a
>> day (1 1/4 cups just for the pets). This needs to be bone broth (joint
>> issues, me and pets). The pets need salt free (or near it) if used long

> Do you take your pets to a psychiatrist too? Maybe pilates? Oh,
> we're late for kitty's appointment for her cleansing colonic.

LOL, no! Just arthritic dogs. One of them is like me where the G/C
pill/powders don't seem to work for us 2. Pills work spiffy for the other
dog and my husband though! I just don't broth feed one dog and not the
rest. (It's a low-cal noon treat).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" wrote
> Bwrrrrryan wrote:
>> "cshenk" wrote:

>>> Main reason for making my own poultry broth is cost as we go through
>>> 2cups a
>>> day (1 1/4 cups just for the pets). This needs to be bone broth (joint
>>> issues, me and pets).

>>Do you take your pets to a psychiatrist too?

> Better than how you get your glucosamine joint juice...

LOL! Anyways, I know from over the years that you fresh feed lots more than
just kibble too with your pets.

So, I spend about 30 mins every other week making up a batch. With the
addition of Sammy (new 17yo) I no longer have quite enough bones generated
so we are adding chicken backs and such to suppliment it.

BTW, OT for Tomato soup but thread drift to making own broth, I've not done
many pork neck bone broths. I got a good deal on them at the local Asian
store yesterday and came home with a load equal to the chicken bones I
normally use. Some are fairly meaty. Don't I recall you had a good broth
you make with them? I'd like to see it! I can make any needed adaptions
for pets. I have a memory of a post that I think was yours and I saved it
but can't find it. The method was stove topped (I seem to recall you don't
crockpot much which is fine) and I think reduced?

I can always of course, just try the pork broth with my regular methods
(grin). I mostly recall the pork one posted used some vegetables of the
root sort that i don't normally use and was looking for porportions from a
real live person who does this, not some web where I am not sure if they got
it right.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote

> Yes. I know they are often used as an ingredient, but this isn't what
> they did. They merely combined two soups to make a new soup. I remember
> that chicken gumbo was used as one ingredient. I don't even think they
> make that any more.

Yes, they make the gumbo version still. It can actually make a decent
crockpot additive, undiluted, to chicken parts (thighs mostly and deboned is
best) then you add some carmelized onions and serve over rice. BTW, knowing
your dietary needs that int a bad one for you if you like crockpot cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> "Dan Abel" wrote ,
>> Mark Thorson wrote:

>>> Do they even make Scotch broth anymore?

>> Didn't see oxtail or Scotch broth.

> Dave, I seem to recall Scotch Broth in a campbells can. They often roll
> out a new one for a bit and see if it sells.

When was this? I liked that as a kid. Tried making it once and,
lo and behold, it tasted like Campbell's. I bet if it appeared
now, it would be a much poorer product--unless Campbell's decides
to put out a classic line (or something like that).

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 12:57:18 -0700, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
> >
> > Campbell's soups have gone way downhill. Their older
> > soups have been reformulated to turn them into cheap crap,
> > and the newer soups are crap from birth. If I saw a can
> > of Scotch broth, I might buy that, but otherwise I'll
> > never buy another Campbell's product again. There aren't
> > too many brand names for which the generic product is
> > better than the brand name, but Campbell's has become
> > one of them.

> I doubt they've changed, but you probably have.

Their Cream of Chicken Soup is totally different
than it used to be. It now cannot be used to make
my mother's creamed spinach recipe. But generic
brand copies of the old Campbell's recipe are
suitable for this creamed spinach recipe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17/10/2010 9:03 AM, cshenk wrote:
> "Dan Abel" wrote ,
>> Mark Thorson wrote:

>>> Do they even make Scotch broth anymore?

>> Didn't see oxtail or Scotch broth.

> Dave, I seem to recall Scotch Broth in a campbells can. They often roll
> out a new one for a bit and see if it sells.

Campbells definitely had canned Scotch Broth. It was one of my
favourites. I just did a little googling and, according to their web
site, they still make Scotch Broth. Oxtail is no loner available.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> cshenk wrote:

> >> Didn't see oxtail or Scotch broth.

> > Dave, I seem to recall Scotch Broth in a campbells can. They often roll
> > out a new one for a bit and see if it sells.

> When was this? I liked that as a kid. Tried making it once and,
> lo and behold, it tasted like Campbell's. I bet if it appeared
> now, it would be a much poorer product--unless Campbell's decides
> to put out a classic line (or something like that).

I think it's "something like that":

http://www.campbellsoup.com/condense....aspx?prd_prod
uct_id=2326&family=classic

I think the "classic" is just an advertising term.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Cream of Tomato Soup 4poster Recipes 0 31-07-2012 04:27 AM
Leftover Campbell's Tomato soup Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 18 11-08-2011 05:09 AM
Campbell's Tomato Soup Redux Wayne Boatwright[_4_] General Cooking 43 15-05-2008 05:03 AM
What happened to Campbell's Condensed Tomato Soup??? UncondensedCondensed? Mike in Arkansas General Cooking 20 30-04-2008 05:03 AM
Mid-week survey on the RFC site: Campbell's Tomato Soup Chatty Cathy General Cooking 23 11-01-2007 05:16 PM