Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What happened to Campbell's Condensed Tomato Soup??? UncondensedCondensed?

Anyone purchase any lately? Just bought a box of 12 from a wholesale
club. Opened one and the contents literally poured out of the can.
After thinning per instructions it was weak and insipid. The other
cans in the box were the same. Out of curiosity, I purchased a can
from a store just to see if I had a bad batch. Same thing. Formally,
I always had to use a spatula to get the soup out of the can it was so
thick. As I shop in other stores I will pick up a can and shake it.
I can always hear it sloshing around. Anyone else notice or have the
same issue? Maybe our area just got a bad batch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mike in Arkansas" > wrote in message
> Anyone purchase any lately? Just bought a box of 12 from a wholesale
> club. Opened one and the contents literally poured out of the can.
> After thinning per instructions it was weak and insipid. The other
> cans in the box were the same. Out of curiosity, I purchased a can
> from a store just to see if I had a bad batch. Same thing. Formally,
> I always had to use a spatula to get the soup out of the can it was so
> thick. As I shop in other stores I will pick up a can and shake it.
> I can always hear it sloshing around. Anyone else notice or have the
> same issue? Maybe our area just got a bad batch.

I have realized that a lot of soups have become thinner and thinner. I
typically only use a half a can of water when I make soup or otherwise you
get dishwater. Vegetable and chicken noodle both seem to be the same.

Cindi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "Mike in Arkansas" > wrote in message
>> Anyone purchase any lately? Just bought a box of 12 from a wholesale
>> club. Opened one and the contents literally poured out of the can.
>> After thinning per instructions it was weak and insipid. The other
>> cans in the box were the same. Out of curiosity, I purchased a can
>> from a store just to see if I had a bad batch. Same thing. Formally,
>> I always had to use a spatula to get the soup out of the can it was so
>> thick. As I shop in other stores I will pick up a can and shake it.
>> I can always hear it sloshing around. Anyone else notice or have the
>> same issue? Maybe our area just got a bad batch.

It's cheaper to make it that way (doesn't take as many tomatoes.)
Pretty soon, it will only be available in "convenient ready to serve"
cans so you won't have to dilute it -- and it will cost even more for
the convenience.

It's just an alternate form of The Great Product Shrink. HTH :-)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike in Arkansas wrote:

> Anyone purchase any lately? Just bought a box of 12 from a wholesale
> club. Opened one and the contents literally poured out of the can.
> After thinning per instructions it was weak and insipid. The other
> cans in the box were the same. Out of curiosity, I purchased a can
> from a store just to see if I had a bad batch. Same thing. Formally,
> I always had to use a spatula to get the soup out of the can it was so
> thick. As I shop in other stores I will pick up a can and shake it.
> I can always hear it sloshing around. Anyone else notice or have the
> same issue? Maybe our area just got a bad batch.

I've noticed the texture of Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup
has changed such that it's no longer suitable for making
creamed spinach. I have to buy a generic store brand for that.
I think they replaced most of the cream with thickeners.

Isn't it a shame when a company cheapens a product while
relying on their previous reputation for quality to sell it?
Wolfgang Puck's brand of spicy chicken pizza was that way.
When it first appeared, it was fantastic (for a frozen pizza).
It had nice chopped chicken bits, great spices, good cheese.
But after a couple years, it changed dramatically for the
worse. The pieces of recognizable chicken were replaced
by chunks of a sausage-like extruded ground chicken, and
it was cheapened in other ways. I had to buy a couple of
those before I realized just how badly debased it had
become, and when I did realize it, I felt like a fool
for letting them cheat me out of good money for crap
pizzas. Never again. They've lost this customer
permanently.

It could be worse. If all of these brands were coming
out of China, not only would the quality be bad, but
there would be a serious possibility of contamination
with chemicals, sewage, etc. That may happen yet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 27 Apr 2008 11:36:44a, Mike in Arkansas told us...

> Anyone purchase any lately? Just bought a box of 12 from a wholesale
> club. Opened one and the contents literally poured out of the can.
> After thinning per instructions it was weak and insipid. The other
> cans in the box were the same. Out of curiosity, I purchased a can
> from a store just to see if I had a bad batch. Same thing. Formally,
> I always had to use a spatula to get the soup out of the can it was so
> thick. As I shop in other stores I will pick up a can and shake it.
> I can always hear it sloshing around. Anyone else notice or have the
> same issue? Maybe our area just got a bad batch.

I don't buy Campbell's Tomato Soup anymore for that very reason. This
wasn't a recent change, as I noticed it some years ago. I don't know what
they did, but now it's runny, as you said. I usually buy Walmart's store
brand. It's more like the old Campbell's.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 04(IV)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 27 Apr 2008 12:00:33p, kilikini told us...

> Mike in Arkansas wrote:
>> Anyone purchase any lately? Just bought a box of 12 from a wholesale
>> club. Opened one and the contents literally poured out of the can.
>> After thinning per instructions it was weak and insipid. The other
>> cans in the box were the same. Out of curiosity, I purchased a can
>> from a store just to see if I had a bad batch. Same thing. Formally,
>> I always had to use a spatula to get the soup out of the can it was so
>> thick. As I shop in other stores I will pick up a can and shake it.
>> I can always hear it sloshing around. Anyone else notice or have the
>> same issue? Maybe our area just got a bad batch.

> Some aren't condensed anymore. Check the label.
>
> kili

No, kili, he is talking about the condensed soup. They've ruined, IMO. I
buy store brands now.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 04(IV)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Rogation Sunday
Countdown till Memorial Day
4wks 10hrs 50mins
To see the universe in a grain of
sand..Blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike in Arkansas wrote:
> Anyone purchase any lately? Just bought a box of 12 from a wholesale
> club. Opened one and the contents literally poured out of the can.
> After thinning per instructions it was weak and insipid. The other
> cans in the box were the same. Out of curiosity, I purchased a can
> from a store just to see if I had a bad batch. Same thing. Formally,
> I always had to use a spatula to get the soup out of the can it was so
> thick. As I shop in other stores I will pick up a can and shake it.
> I can always hear it sloshing around. Anyone else notice or have the
> same issue? Maybe our area just got a bad batch.

I dunno about a recent change, but it has not been good since they
started putting HFCS in it. I really like Amy's ?Chunky Tonato Bisque?
(IIRC; I'm not downstairs). Not condensed, but oh-so-good. Sometimes I
add a few shakes of Worcestershire Sauce to it.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 27, 7:48 pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
> Mike in Arkansas wrote:
> > Anyone purchase any lately? Just bought a box of 12 from a wholesale
> > club. Opened one and the contents literally poured out of the can.
> > After thinning per instructions it was weak and insipid. The other
> > cans in the box were the same. Out of curiosity, I purchased a can
> > from a store just to see if I had a bad batch. Same thing. Formally,
> > I always had to use a spatula to get the soup out of the can it was so
> > thick. As I shop in other stores I will pick up a can and shake it.
> > I can always hear it sloshing around. Anyone else notice or have the
> > same issue? Maybe our area just got a bad batch.

> I dunno about a recent change, but it has not been good since they
> started putting HFCS in it. I really like Amy's ?Chunky Tonato Bisque?
> (IIRC; I'm not downstairs). Not condensed, but oh-so-good. Sometimes I
> add a few shakes of Worcestershire Sauce to it.
>
> --
> Jean B.

Yes, it was condensed. At least that's what is says on the can. To me
it is recent. The last box we purchased at the wholesale club was
probably less than 2 months ago and I had to use a spatula like always
to remove the contents. Too bad. Cost wasn't really an issue. Well,
up to a point it wouldn't have been an issue. I can't even say what
it cost. It was something I always had on hand. Wouldn't have minded
paying a bit more for each can for the quality I'm used to. Wouldn't
buy this stuff again for any price.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 27, 2:12*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Mike in Arkansas wrote:
>

> I've noticed the texture of Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup
> has changed such that it's no longer suitable for making
> creamed spinach. *I have to buy a generic store brand for that.
> I think they replaced most of the cream with thickeners.

It's had thickeners for many years. Never much real cream in there.

> Isn't it a shame when a company cheapens a product while
> relying on their previous reputation for quality to sell it?
> Wolfgang Puck's brand of spicy chicken pizza was that way.
> When it first appeared, it was fantastic (for a frozen pizza).

Wolfgang Puck's "cream of" soups are made with non-dairy creamer
(Coffee Mate). They have been for years.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:

> I dunno about a recent change, but it has not been good since they
> started putting HFCS in it. I really like Amy's ?Chunky Tonato Bisque?
> (IIRC; I'm not downstairs). Not condensed, but oh-so-good. Sometimes I
> add a few shakes of Worcestershire Sauce to it.

I'll second that recommendation. In fact, I can't think of anything by
Amy's brand that I dislike?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 18:45:19 -0700 (PDT), Mike in Arkansas
> wrote:

>On Apr 27, 7:48 pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> Mike in Arkansas wrote:
>> > Anyone purchase any lately? Just bought a box of 12 from a wholesale
>> > club. Opened one and the contents literally poured out of the can.
>> > After thinning per instructions it was weak and insipid. The other
>> > cans in the box were the same. Out of curiosity, I purchased a can
>> > from a store just to see if I had a bad batch. Same thing. Formally,
>> > I always had to use a spatula to get the soup out of the can it was so
>> > thick. As I shop in other stores I will pick up a can and shake it.
>> > I can always hear it sloshing around. Anyone else notice or have the
>> > same issue? Maybe our area just got a bad batch.

>> I dunno about a recent change, but it has not been good since they
>> started putting HFCS in it. I really like Amy's ?Chunky Tonato Bisque?
>> (IIRC; I'm not downstairs). Not condensed, but oh-so-good. Sometimes I
>> add a few shakes of Worcestershire Sauce to it.
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

>Yes, it was condensed. At least that's what is says on the can. To me
>it is recent. The last box we purchased at the wholesale club was
>probably less than 2 months ago and I had to use a spatula like always
>to remove the contents. Too bad. Cost wasn't really an issue. Well,
>up to a point it wouldn't have been an issue. I can't even say what
>it cost. It was something I always had on hand. Wouldn't have minded
>paying a bit more for each can for the quality I'm used to. Wouldn't
>buy this stuff again for any price.

take it back and see what they say.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What happened to Campbell's Condensed Tomato Soup???Uncondens...

If you have a Trader Joe's in your area, the tomato soup in a box is
delicious. I use it regularly. My fav is the soup in a cup with a few
of the garlic and cheese croutons, also TJ's, on top. I did try the
low sodium once but it was tasteless.

Another sunny day in SF....enjoy your Monday,

Ellie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

> On Apr 27, 2:12 pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> >
> > I've noticed the texture of Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup
> > has changed such that it's no longer suitable for making
> > creamed spinach. I have to buy a generic store brand for that.
> > I think they replaced most of the cream with thickeners.

> It's had thickeners for many years. Never much real cream in there.

But it did change dramatically within recent years.
My recipe for creamed spinach no longer works with
Campbell's brand of Cream of Chicken soup, but it
does work with generic brands.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 28 Apr 2008 09:30:23a, told us...

> If you have a Trader Joe's in your area, the tomato soup in a box is
> delicious. I use it regularly. My fav is the soup in a cup with a few
> of the garlic and cheese croutons, also TJ's, on top. I did try the
> low sodium once but it was tasteless.
>
> Another sunny day in SF....enjoy your Monday,
>
> Ellie

Thanks, Ellie. You, as well.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 04(IV)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>
>> I dunno about a recent change, but it has not been good since they
>> started putting HFCS in it. I really like Amy's ?Chunky Tomato
>> Bisque? (IIRC; I'm not downstairs). Not condensed, but oh-so-good.
>> Sometimes I add a few shakes of Worcestershire Sauce to it.
>>

> I'll second that recommendation. In fact, I can't think of anything by
> Amy's brand that I dislike?

Amy's does make many great products--and they contain decent ingredients
too.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
>> On Apr 27, 2:12 pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
>>> I've noticed the texture of Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup
>>> has changed such that it's no longer suitable for making
>>> creamed spinach. I have to buy a generic store brand for that.
>>> I think they replaced most of the cream with thickeners.

>> It's had thickeners for many years. Never much real cream in there.

> But it did change dramatically within recent years.
> My recipe for creamed spinach no longer works with
> Campbell's brand of Cream of Chicken soup, but it
> does work with generic brands.

There's a kind of irony in that, since Campbell's came out with many of
these recipes--and the whole concept of cooking with soup. Someone is
not thinking!!!!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Mike in Arkansas > wrote:

> Anyone purchase any lately? Just bought a box of 12 from a wholesale
> club. Opened one and the contents literally poured out of the can.
> After thinning per instructions it was weak and insipid. The other
> cans in the box were the same. Out of curiosity, I purchased a can
> from a store just to see if I had a bad batch. Same thing. Formally,
> I always had to use a spatula to get the soup out of the can it was so
> thick. As I shop in other stores I will pick up a can and shake it.
> I can always hear it sloshing around. Anyone else notice or have the
> same issue? Maybe our area just got a bad batch.

Have you contacted Campbell's? Returned the rest? I don't suppose you
have the single can from the store? Give Campbell's the packing
information on the top of the lids and see what they have to say for
themselves. At the very least, I'd return the rest or donate it to your
local food shelf if it's not suitable for your purposes.

If you don't hear from Campbell's, contact your local investigative
reporter (I'm kidding) --- or newspaper food section editor.

They made have forgotten to put the food starch in it. Maybe.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Goomba38 wrote:
>> Jean B. wrote:
>>
>>> I dunno about a recent change, but it has not been good since they
>>> started putting HFCS in it. I really like Amy's ?Chunky Tomato
>>> Bisque? (IIRC; I'm not downstairs). Not condensed, but oh-so-good.
>>> Sometimes I add a few shakes of Worcestershire Sauce to it.
>>>

>> I'll second that recommendation. In fact, I can't think of anything by
>> Amy's brand that I dislike?

> Amy's does make many great products--and they contain decent ingredients
> too.

And they're so darned expensive!

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:

> Jean B. wrote:
>> Amy's does make many great products--and they contain decent
>> ingredients too.
>>

> And they're so darned expensive!
> Serene

That they are! I try to buy when the products are on sale. Still...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 27, 2:36�pm, Mike in Arkansas > wrote:
> Anyone purchase any lately? �Just bought a box of 12 from a wholesale
> club. �Opened one and the contents literally poured out of the can..
> After thinning per instructions it was weak and insipid. �The other
> cans in the box were the same. �Out of curiosity, I purchased a can
> from a store just to see if I had a bad batch. �Same thing. �Formally,
> I always had to use a spatula to get the soup out of the can it was so
> thick. �As I shop in other stores I will pick up a can and shake it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 29 Apr 2008 08:54:04p, told us...

> On Apr 27, 2:36�pm, Mike in Arkansas > wrote:
>> Anyone purchase any lately? �Just bought a box of 12 from a wholes
>> ale club. �Opened one and the contents literally poured out of the
>> can . After thinning per instructions it was weak and insipid. �The
>> othe r cans in the box were the same. �Out of curiosity, I purchased
>> a ca n from a store just to see if I had a bad batch. �Same thing.
>> ï¿ ½Formally, I always had to use a spatula to get the soup out of the
>> can it was so thick. �As I shop in other stores I will pick up a can
>> and shake i t. I can always hear it sloshing around. �Anyone else
>> notice or have the same issue? �Maybe our area just got a bad
>> batch.

> Their condensed chicken noodle has gotten pretty watery too. I
> remember when I was growing up in the 70s a can of Campbell's
> condensed chicken noodle soup would be packed with noodles and
> chicken. If you ate it straight out of the can you could eat it with
> a fork. I bought a can not too long ago and after draining off the
> juice there was only about an inch of noodles at the bottom of the can.

All this morphing of foods from their original version to something
practically inedible is really very sad.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 04(IV)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)