Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Campbell's Tomato Soup Redux

After all the discussion about the disappointment in the change to
Campbell's Tomato Soup and their cream soups in general, I discovered
something while shopping yesterday.

At least 15 or more years ago Campbell's introduced a Tomato Bisque that I
liked even better than their regular tomato soup because it has nice little
bits of tomato in it. Whether you made it with water, milk, or cream, it
was very good.

Over the past several years I haven't fouynd it on the shelf in the stores,
so assumed they had discontinued it. Perhaps they actually did for a
while.

Yesterday, I found it again at Safeway. I'm having it for lunch as I write
this, and out of the can it is the same nice thick concentrate with the
same flavor that the regular tomato soup used to be.

So...if you're interestd and wouldn't mind the bits of tomato, you might
want to give this a try.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> After all the discussion about the disappointment in the change to
> Campbell's Tomato Soup and their cream soups in general, I discovered
> something while shopping yesterday.
>
> At least 15 or more years ago Campbell's introduced a Tomato Bisque that I
> liked even better than their regular tomato soup because it has nice little
> bits of tomato in it. Whether you made it with water, milk, or cream, it
> was very good.
>
> Over the past several years I haven't fouynd it on the shelf in the stores,
> so assumed they had discontinued it. Perhaps they actually did for a
> while.
>
> Yesterday, I found it again at Safeway. I'm having it for lunch as I write
> this, and out of the can it is the same nice thick concentrate with the
> same flavor that the regular tomato soup used to be.
>
> So...if you're interestd and wouldn't mind the bits of tomato, you might
> want to give this a try.

Dare I ask what the ingredients are?
--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 12 May 2008 02:51:00p, Jean B. told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> After all the discussion about the disappointment in the change to
>> Campbell's Tomato Soup and their cream soups in general, I discovered
>> something while shopping yesterday.
>>
>> At least 15 or more years ago Campbell's introduced a Tomato Bisque
>> that I liked even better than their regular tomato soup because it has
>> nice little bits of tomato in it. Whether you made it with water,
>> milk, or cream, it was very good.
>>
>> Over the past several years I haven't fouynd it on the shelf in the
>> stores, so assumed they had discontinued it. Perhaps they actually did
>> for a while.
>>
>> Yesterday, I found it again at Safeway. I'm having it for lunch as I
>> write this, and out of the can it is the same nice thick concentrate
>> with the same flavor that the regular tomato soup used to be.
>>
>> So...if you're interestd and wouldn't mind the bits of tomato, you
>> might want to give this a try.
>>

> Dare I ask what the ingredients are?

Do we have that much time?

Seriously, I only bought one can (taking a chance), and have thrown it away
in our company trash, so I don't want to dumpster dive. :-)

I will say that it tastes exactly like I remembered it.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 6dys 8hrs 35mins
I could prove God statistically.
--George Gallup

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 12, 4:51*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > After all the discussion about the disappointment in the change to
> > Campbell's Tomato Soup and their cream soups in general, I discovered
> > something while shopping yesterday.

> > At least 15 or more years ago Campbell's introduced a Tomato Bisque that I
> > liked even better than their regular tomato soup because it has nice little
> > bits of tomato in it. *Whether you made it with water, milk, or cream, it
> > was very good.

> > Over the past several years I haven't fouynd it on the shelf in the stores,
> > so assumed they had discontinued it. *Perhaps they actually did for a
> > while.

> > Yesterday, I found it again at Safeway. *I'm having it for lunch as I write
> > this, and out of the can it is the same nice thick concentrate with the
> > same flavor that the regular tomato soup used to be.

> > So...if you're interestd and wouldn't mind the bits of tomato, you might
> > want to give this a try.

> Dare I ask what the ingredients are?

Ingredients: Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Diced Tomatoes in
Tomato Juice, Sugar, Wheat Flour, Cream, (Milk), Water Contains Less
than 2% of the Following: Salt, Vegetable Oil, (Corn, Cottonseed,
Canola and/or Soybean), Dried Dairy Blend (Whey, Calcium Caseinate
(Milk), Cornstarch, Spice Extract, Citric Acid, Vitamin C (Ascorbic
Acid).

> --
> Jean B

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

> Ingredients: Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Diced Tomatoes in
> Tomato Juice, Sugar, Wheat Flour, Cream, (Milk), Water Contains Less
> than 2% of the Following: Salt, Vegetable Oil, (Corn, Cottonseed,
> Canola and/or Soybean), Dried Dairy Blend (Whey, Calcium Caseinate
> (Milk), Cornstarch, Spice Extract, Citric Acid, Vitamin C (Ascorbic
> Acid).

Whoa! They use sugar, not HFCS?

This must be a premium product, indeed!

Does it say on the label where they make it?
Canada, perhaps?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 May 2008 15:50:32 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
> wrote:

>On May 12, 4:51*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> > After all the discussion about the disappointment in the change to
>> > Campbell's Tomato Soup and their cream soups in general, I discovered
>> > something while shopping yesterday.

>> > At least 15 or more years ago Campbell's introduced a Tomato Bisque that I
>> > liked even better than their regular tomato soup because it has nice little
>> > bits of tomato in it. *Whether you made it with water, milk, or cream, it
>> > was very good.

>> > Over the past several years I haven't fouynd it on the shelf in the stores,
>> > so assumed they had discontinued it. *Perhaps they actually did for a
>> > while.

>> > Yesterday, I found it again at Safeway. *I'm having it for lunch as I write
>> > this, and out of the can it is the same nice thick concentrate with the
>> > same flavor that the regular tomato soup used to be.

>> > So...if you're interestd and wouldn't mind the bits of tomato, you might
>> > want to give this a try.

>> Dare I ask what the ingredients are?

>Ingredients: Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Diced Tomatoes in
>Tomato Juice, Sugar, Wheat Flour, Cream, (Milk), Water Contains Less
>than 2% of the Following: Salt, Vegetable Oil, (Corn, Cottonseed,
>Canola and/or Soybean), Dried Dairy Blend (Whey, Calcium Caseinate
>(Milk), Cornstarch, Spice Extract, Citric Acid, Vitamin C (Ascorbic
>Acid).
>
>> --
>> Jean B

>--Bryan

Howdy,

That listing indicates that we have a real problem here in
New Hampshire.

Our water contains only hydrogen and oxygen...

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 12 May 2008 04:02:19p, Mark Thorson told us...

> Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
>>
>> Ingredients: Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Diced Tomatoes in
>> Tomato Juice, Sugar, Wheat Flour, Cream, (Milk), Water Contains Less
>> than 2% of the Following: Salt, Vegetable Oil, (Corn, Cottonseed,
>> Canola and/or Soybean), Dried Dairy Blend (Whey, Calcium Caseinate
>> (Milk), Cornstarch, Spice Extract, Citric Acid, Vitamin C (Ascorbic
>> Acid).

Thanks, Brian.

> Whoa! They use sugar, not HFCS?
>
> This must be a premium product, indeed!

It's the best taste I've had of cream of tomato soup in years, except of
course, for homemade.

> Does it say on the label where they make it?
> Canada, perhaps?

I have no idea, since I don't have the can/label now.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 6dys 6hrs 40mins
Oxymoron: Whole Half.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 12 May 2008 02:51:00p, Jean B. told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> After all the discussion about the disappointment in the change to
>>> Campbell's Tomato Soup and their cream soups in general, I discovered
>>> something while shopping yesterday.
>>>
>>> At least 15 or more years ago Campbell's introduced a Tomato Bisque
>>> that I liked even better than their regular tomato soup because it has
>>> nice little bits of tomato in it. Whether you made it with water,
>>> milk, or cream, it was very good.
>>>
>>> Over the past several years I haven't fouynd it on the shelf in the
>>> stores, so assumed they had discontinued it. Perhaps they actually did
>>> for a while.
>>>
>>> Yesterday, I found it again at Safeway. I'm having it for lunch as I
>>> write this, and out of the can it is the same nice thick concentrate
>>> with the same flavor that the regular tomato soup used to be.
>>>
>>> So...if you're interestd and wouldn't mind the bits of tomato, you
>>> might want to give this a try.
>>>

>> Dare I ask what the ingredients are?

> Do we have that much time?
>
> Seriously, I only bought one can (taking a chance), and have thrown it away
> in our company trash, so I don't want to dumpster dive. :-)
>
> I will say that it tastes exactly like I remembered it.

Thanks anyway. I'll try to remember to look next time I'm in the store.
Or maybe I should say n"ext time I can find the soup in the store".
(They are remodeling.)

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
> On May 12, 4:51 pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> After all the discussion about the disappointment in the change to
>>> Campbell's Tomato Soup and their cream soups in general, I discovered
>>> something while shopping yesterday.
>>> At least 15 or more years ago Campbell's introduced a Tomato Bisque that I
>>> liked even better than their regular tomato soup because it has nice little
>>> bits of tomato in it. Whether you made it with water, milk, or cream, it
>>> was very good.
>>> Over the past several years I haven't fouynd it on the shelf in the stores,
>>> so assumed they had discontinued it. Perhaps they actually did for a
>>> while.
>>> Yesterday, I found it again at Safeway. I'm having it for lunch as I write
>>> this, and out of the can it is the same nice thick concentrate with the
>>> same flavor that the regular tomato soup used to be.
>>> So...if you're interestd and wouldn't mind the bits of tomato, you might
>>> want to give this a try.

>> Dare I ask what the ingredients are?

> Ingredients: Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Diced Tomatoes in
> Tomato Juice, Sugar, Wheat Flour, Cream, (Milk), Water Contains Less
> than 2% of the Following: Salt, Vegetable Oil, (Corn, Cottonseed,
> Canola and/or Soybean), Dried Dairy Blend (Whey, Calcium Caseinate
> (Milk), Cornstarch, Spice Extract, Citric Acid, Vitamin C (Ascorbic
> Acid).
>
>> --
>> Jean B

> --Bryan

Thanks! I'll try that. Having the sugar in that position doesn't
thrill me, but I'm happy it's sugar and not HFCS!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 12 May 2008 04:02:19p, Mark Thorson told us...
>
>> Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
>>> Ingredients: Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Diced Tomatoes in
>>> Tomato Juice, Sugar, Wheat Flour, Cream, (Milk), Water Contains Less
>>> than 2% of the Following: Salt, Vegetable Oil, (Corn, Cottonseed,
>>> Canola and/or Soybean), Dried Dairy Blend (Whey, Calcium Caseinate
>>> (Milk), Cornstarch, Spice Extract, Citric Acid, Vitamin C (Ascorbic
>>> Acid).

> Thanks, Brian.
>
>> Whoa! They use sugar, not HFCS?
>>
>> This must be a premium product, indeed!

> It's the best taste I've had of cream of tomato soup in years, except of
> course, for homemade.
>
>> Does it say on the label where they make it?
>> Canada, perhaps?

> I have no idea, since I don't have the can/label now.

Have you tried Amy's Chunky Tomato Bisque?

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 12 May 2008 05:47:31p, Jean B. told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> Dare I ask what the ingredients are?

>> Do we have that much time?
>>
>> Seriously, I only bought one can (taking a chance), and have thrown it
>> away in our company trash, so I don't want to dumpster dive. :-)
>>
>> I will say that it tastes exactly like I remembered it.
>>

> Thanks anyway. I'll try to remember to look next time I'm in the store.
> Or maybe I should say n"ext time I can find the soup in the store".
> (They are remodeling.)

We just went through that with my favorite store, or should I say what used
to be my favorite store? I can't find a damned thing now.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 6dys 6hrs
''E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on!'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 12 May 2008 05:49:22p, Jean B. told us...

> Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

>> Ingredients: Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Diced Tomatoes in
>> Tomato Juice, Sugar, Wheat Flour, Cream, (Milk), Water Contains Less
>> than 2% of the Following: Salt, Vegetable Oil, (Corn, Cottonseed,
>> Canola and/or Soybean), Dried Dairy Blend (Whey, Calcium Caseinate
>> (Milk), Cornstarch, Spice Extract, Citric Acid, Vitamin C (Ascorbic
>> Acid).
>>
>>> --
>>> Jean B

>> --Bryan

> Thanks! I'll try that. Having the sugar in that position doesn't
> thrill me, but I'm happy it's sugar and not HFCS!

I thank all commercial tomato soups rank fairly high in sweetness,
regardless the type.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 6dys 6hrs
''E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on!'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 12 May 2008 05:51:38p, Jean B. told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> Thanks, Brian.
>>
>>> Whoa! They use sugar, not HFCS?
>>>
>>> This must be a premium product, indeed!

>> It's the best taste I've had of cream of tomato soup in years, except of
>> course, for homemade.
>>
>>> Does it say on the label where they make it?
>>> Canada, perhaps?

>> I have no idea, since I don't have the can/label now.
>>

> Have you tried Amy's Chunky Tomato Bisque?

No, I don't recall seeing it. Perhaps I should look. Is it something I
can add whole milk or cream to? I only like "cream of tomato soup". :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 6dys 6hrs
''E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on!'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
3.184...
> After all the discussion about the disappointment in the change to
> Campbell's Tomato Soup and their cream soups in general, I discovered
> something while shopping yesterday.
>
> At least 15 or more years ago Campbell's introduced a Tomato Bisque that I
> liked even better than their regular tomato soup because it has nice little
> bits of tomato in it. Whether you made it with water, milk, or cream, it
> was very good.
>
> Over the past several years I haven't fouynd it on the shelf in the stores,
> so assumed they had discontinued it. Perhaps they actually did for a
> while.
>
> Yesterday, I found it again at Safeway. I'm having it for lunch as I write
> this, and out of the can it is the same nice thick concentrate with the
> same flavor that the regular tomato soup used to be.
>
> So...if you're interestd and wouldn't mind the bits of tomato, you might
> want to give this a try.
>

> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Wayne,

do they make it with HFCS like they do with the regular tomato soup now?

Thanks

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 13 May 2008 02:43:26a, Nexis told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 3.184...
>> After all the discussion about the disappointment in the change to
>> Campbell's Tomato Soup and their cream soups in general, I discovered
>> something while shopping yesterday.
>>
>> At least 15 or more years ago Campbell's introduced a Tomato Bisque
>> that I liked even better than their regular tomato soup because it has
>> nice little bits of tomato in it. Whether you made it with water,
>> milk, or cream, it was very good.
>>
>> Over the past several years I haven't fouynd it on the shelf in the
>> stores, so assumed they had discontinued it. Perhaps they actually did
>> for a while.
>>
>> Yesterday, I found it again at Safeway. I'm having it for lunch as I
>> write this, and out of the can it is the same nice thick concentrate
>> with the same flavor that the regular tomato soup used to be.
>>
>> So...if you're interestd and wouldn't mind the bits of tomato, you
>> might want to give this a try.
>>

>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Wayne,
>
> do they make it with HFCS like they do with the regular tomato soup now?
>
> Thanks
>
> kimberly

I didn't read the label, Kimberly, but from what Bryan posted from the
label, it's real sugar.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 05(V)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Mon 12 May 2008 05:47:31p, Jean B. told us...
>> Thanks anyway. I'll try to remember to look next time I'm in the store.
>> Or maybe I should say "next time I can find the soup in the store".
>> (They are remodeling.)
>>

> We just went through that with my favorite store, or should I say what used
> to be my favorite store? I can't find a damned thing now.

I have yet to see the rationale. The last time, it just seemed to be
busy work. Why do stores just change where things are anyway? :-(

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> I thank all commercial tomato soups rank fairly high in sweetness,
> regardless the type.

I am going to start collecting some old can labels precisely so I can
see how these products have evolved! Sweet! Why? Now I'll have to go
check the Amy's can. (Somewhere I said Annie's. If it was here,please
not that it is Amy's.)

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> No, I don't recall seeing it. Perhaps I should look. Is it something I
> can add whole milk or cream to? I only like "cream of tomato soup". :-)

No. Amy's Chunky Tomato Bisque doesn't need any liquid added. I
suppose you COULD add a hint of heavy cream. I say "heavy" because
you'd be able to use less to get the desired effect.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 13 May 2008 10:16:42a, Jean B. told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> On Mon 12 May 2008 05:47:31p, Jean B. told us...
>>> Thanks anyway. I'll try to remember to look next time I'm in the
>>> store.
>>> Or maybe I should say "next time I can find the soup in the store".
>>> (They are remodeling.)
>>>

>> We just went through that with my favorite store, or should I say what
>> used to be my favorite store? I can't find a damned thing now.
>>

> I have yet to see the rationale. The last time, it just seemed to be
> busy work. Why do stores just change where things are anyway? :-(

They did some nice updating, but the new layout is completely illogical. I
don't know what they were thinking. Grrr....

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 05(V)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 5dys 12hrs 25mins
Abandon the search for Truth; settle
for a good fantasy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 13 May 2008 10:18:41a, Jean B. told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> I thank all commercial tomato soups rank fairly high in sweetness,
>> regardless the type.
>>

> I am going to start collecting some old can labels precisely so I can
> see how these products have evolved! Sweet! Why? Now I'll have to go
> check the Amy's can. (Somewhere I said Annie's. If it was here,please
> not that it is Amy's.)

I think you said Amy's, at least that's what I looked up on the web. What
I can't tell is if they are condensed and you add your own milk/cream.
That's what I would prefer. I'm not fond of canned products that already
contain the dairy element.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 05(V)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 5dys 12hrs 20mins
Gee, Brain, what are we gonna do
tonight? - Pinky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 13 May 2008 10:19:59a, Jean B. told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> No, I don't recall seeing it. Perhaps I should look. Is it something I
>> can add whole milk or cream to? I only like "cream of tomato soup". :-)
>>

> No. Amy's Chunky Tomato Bisque doesn't need any liquid added. I
> suppose you COULD add a hint of heavy cream. I say "heavy" because
> you'd be able to use less to get the desired effect.

Thanks, that answered my question!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 05(V)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 5dys 12hrs 20mins
Gee, Brain, what are we gonna do
tonight? - Pinky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> On Mon 12 May 2008 05:47:31p, Jean B. told us...
>>> Thanks anyway. I'll try to remember to look next time I'm in the store.
>>> Or maybe I should say "next time I can find the soup in the store".
>>> (They are remodeling.)
>>>

>> We just went through that with my favorite store, or should I say what
>> used to be my favorite store? I can't find a damned thing now.
>>

> I have yet to see the rationale. The last time, it just seemed to be
> busy work. Why do stores just change where things are anyway? :-(

It's the Walmart syndrome. Ever been in the supermarket at a Super
Walmart? Every damned week they move the things on the aisles around and
even change the aisles. Their marketing people are hoping you will get
confused and have to wander around and the more you wander the more you
will buy. The main reason I don't shop there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 13 May 2008 12:00:07p, George Shirley told us...

> Jean B. wrote:
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon 12 May 2008 05:47:31p, Jean B. told us...

store.

>>> We just went through that with my favorite store, or should I say what
>>> used to be my favorite store? I can't find a damned thing now.
>>>

>> I have yet to see the rationale. The last time, it just seemed to be
>> busy work. Why do stores just change where things are anyway? :-(
>>

> It's the Walmart syndrome. Ever been in the supermarket at a Super
> Walmart? Every damned week they move the things on the aisles around and
> even change the aisles. Their marketing people are hoping you will get
> confused and have to wander around and the more you wander the more you
> will buy. The main reason I don't shop there.

Oddly ehough, the two WalMart Super Centers where we do shop never seem to
do that. They are both very predictable, with the exception of seasonal
items which are usually outin the aisles.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 05(V)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 5dys 11hrs 35mins
The Delta-United Ring Formation Theory
states that the rings of Saturn are
composed entirely of lost airline luggage.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Tue 13 May 2008 12:00:07p, George Shirley told us...
>
> > It's the Walmart syndrome. Ever been in the supermarket at a Super
> > Walmart? Every damned week they move the things on the aisles around and
> > even change the aisles. Their marketing people are hoping you will get
> > confused and have to wander around and the more you wander the more you
> > will buy. The main reason I don't shop there.

> Oddly ehough, the two WalMart Super Centers where we do shop never seem to
> do that. They are both very predictable, with the exception of seasonal
> items which are usually outin the aisles.

Piggly Wiggly stores used to be famous for having
every item located in the same place in every store,
no matter which store you walked into. I don't know
if they still do that. I think it would be hard to do,
because every store would have to be the same size
and floor plan.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote in message

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 3.184...
>> After all the discussion about the disappointment in the change to
>> Campbell's Tomato Soup and their cream soups in general, I discovered
>> something while shopping yesterday.
>>
>> At least 15 or more years ago Campbell's introduced a Tomato Bisque that
>> liked even better than their regular tomato soup because it has nice
>> little
>> bits of tomato in it. Whether you made it with water, milk, or cream, it
>> was very good.
>>
>> Over the past several years I haven't fouynd it on the shelf in the
>> stores,
>> so assumed they had discontinued it. Perhaps they actually did for a
>> while.
>>
>> Yesterday, I found it again at Safeway. I'm having it for lunch as I
>> write
>> this, and out of the can it is the same nice thick concentrate with the
>> same flavor that the regular tomato soup used to be.
>>
>> So...if you're interestd and wouldn't mind the bits of tomato, you might
>> want to give this a try.

> Wayne,
>
> do they make it with HFCS like they do with the regular tomato soup now?

With the cost of corn rising, HFCS will be the more expensive option in
future ... good riddance.

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> On Mon 12 May 2008 05:47:31p, Jean B. told us...
>>> Thanks anyway. I'll try to remember to look next time I'm in the
>>> store. Or maybe I should say "next time I can find the soup in
>>> the store". (They are remodeling.)
>>>

>> We just went through that with my favorite store, or should I say
>> what used to be my favorite store? I can't find a damned thing now.
>>

> I have yet to see the rationale. The last time, it just seemed to be
> busy work. Why do stores just change where things are anyway? :-(

I guess they think they're modernizing or something. When I was in SC I had
been shopping at Food Lion because the prices were ever so slightly lower
than Publix and they were right across the street from each other. But Food
Lion started a massive remodel and even the employees didn't know where
things were.

They'd had a fairly nice selection of cheeses - not the Kraft-type
hanging-on-a-rack cheeses -one week but the next week they were nowhere to
be found. It appears they removed them to a cooler in the stock room (or
something) but no one knew for sure. That's when I started shopping
exclusively at Publix for the duration of the visit.

Maybe they'll be done by the time I get back and I'll give it a walk-thru.
If they're still working on it I won't bother.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote on Tue, 13 May 2008 14:00:07 -0500:

> Jean B. wrote:
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon 12 May 2008 05:47:31p, Jean B. told us...
>>>>
>>> We just went through that with my favorite store, or should
>>> I say what used to be my favorite store? I can't find a
>>> damned thing now.
>>>

>> I have yet to see the rationale. The last time, it just
>> seemed to be busy work. Why do stores just change where
>> things are anyway? :-(
>>

> It's the Walmart syndrome. Ever been in the supermarket at a
> Super Walmart? Every damned week they move the things on the
> aisles around and even change the aisles. Their marketing
> people are hoping you will get confused and have to wander
> around and the more you wander the more you will buy. The main
> reason I don't shop there.

..
Sometimes it's a bit weird! Yesterday, I tried to buy some
ordinary rice at the local Giant. There was an aisle labelled
"Rice" but all that was there was the dumb precooked stuff like
Uncle Ben's. I had to go to the "Imported" aisle to find regular
rice (grown in the US!)
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote:

> Dare I ask what the ingredients are?

First link in Google has the ingredients

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H155ZM

(Yes, you'll have to click on the link. Don't be a Jill)

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> George wrote on Tue, 13 May 2008 14:00:07 -0500:
>
>> Jean B. wrote:

>>> I have yet to see the rationale. The last time, it just
>>> seemed to be busy work. Why do stores just change where
>>> things are anyway? :-(
>>>

>> It's the Walmart syndrome. Ever been in the supermarket at a Super
>> Walmart? Every damned week they move the things on the aisles around
>> and even change the aisles. Their marketing people are hoping you will
>> get confused and have to wander around and the more you wander the
>> more you will buy. The main reason I don't shop there.

> .
> Sometimes it's a bit weird! Yesterday, I tried to buy some ordinary rice
> at the local Giant. There was an aisle labelled "Rice" but all that was
> there was the dumb precooked stuff like Uncle Ben's. I had to go to the
> "Imported" aisle to find regular rice (grown in the US!)

The Kroger store I shop in has the rice and beans on the same aisle.
Convenient as that is a staple food around here. The import stuff is one
aisle over, one side is oriental, Mexican, etc, the other is stuff made
in Louisiana. Never thought I would be importing food from 20 miles away
here in Louisiana.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> They did some nice updating, but the new layout is completely illogical. I
> don't know what they were thinking. Grrr....

Sigh. It remains to be seen what THIS disruption will result in.
Actually, I never did become totally familiar with where things were
after the LAST rearrangement. :-(

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 13 May 2008 10:18:41a, Jean B. told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> I thank all commercial tomato soups rank fairly high in sweetness,
>>> regardless the type.
>>>

>> I am going to start collecting some old can labels precisely so I can
>> see how these products have evolved! Sweet! Why? Now I'll have to go
>> check the Amy's can. (Somewhere I said Annie's. If it was here,please
>> not that it is Amy's.)
>>

> I think you said Amy's, at least that's what I looked up on the web. What
> I can't tell is if they are condensed and you add your own milk/cream.
> That's what I would prefer. I'm not fond of canned products that already
> contain the dairy element.

No, they aren't condensed.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
> It's the Walmart syndrome. Ever been in the supermarket at a Super
> Walmart? Every damned week they move the things on the aisles around and
> even change the aisles. Their marketing people are hoping you will get
> confused and have to wander around and the more you wander the more you
> will buy. The main reason I don't shop there.

Aha! That's the only reason my daughter and I can come up with for most
such rearrangements. They must be awful for the employees too. :-(

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:
> With the cost of corn rising, HFCS will be the more expensive option in
> future ... good riddance.
>
> TammyM

Isn't THAT a happy thought!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> I guess they think they're modernizing or something. When I was in SC I had
> been shopping at Food Lion because the prices were ever so slightly lower
> than Publix and they were right across the street from each other. But Food
> Lion started a massive remodel and even the employees didn't know where
> things were.
>
> They'd had a fairly nice selection of cheeses - not the Kraft-type
> hanging-on-a-rack cheeses -one week but the next week they were nowhere to
> be found. It appears they removed them to a cooler in the stock room (or
> something) but no one knew for sure. That's when I started shopping
> exclusively at Publix for the duration of the visit.
>
> Maybe they'll be done by the time I get back and I'll give it a walk-thru.
> If they're still working on it I won't bother.
>
> Jill

I wonder how many stores lose their customers even after their
remodeling/rearranging is done? Oh, they also discontinued many of the
things that I considered to be fairly basic. Guess what! If I have to
go to another store for those basics, they lose me for that whole
shopping trip, not just for those items.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

> TammyM > wrote:
>
>> With the cost of corn rising, HFCS will be the more expensive option in
>> future ... good riddance.

> Why hasn't the price risen already?

Out of curiosity, it's risen about $.04/lb for the last 3 years.
Currently at $.2841/lb wholesale for HFCS-55 (soft drink HFCS).
Which doesn't account for anything other than normal inflation.

The U.S. alone will produce 10 billion short tons of HFCS this year.
That would make a lot of ethanol, so why hasn't the price of HFCS
risen?

ADM? Government Hoax?

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> TammyM wrote:
>> With the cost of corn rising, HFCS will be the more expensive option
>> in future ... good riddance.
>>
>> TammyM

> I needed something to cheer me up! This did it
>
> Jill

That and a fifth of Wild Turkey.

-dk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> TammyM > wrote:
>
>> With the cost of corn rising, HFCS will be the more expensive option in
>> future ... good riddance.

> Why hasn't the price risen already?
>
> -sw

I imagine it takes a while to make the change. I do hope they do it
though. And, if they do, it might be interesting to see what health
ramifications there are.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> TammyM > wrote:
>>
>>> With the cost of corn rising, HFCS will be the more expensive option in
>>> future ... good riddance.

>> Why hasn't the price risen already?

> Out of curiosity, it's risen about $.04/lb for the last 3 years.
> Currently at $.2841/lb wholesale for HFCS-55 (soft drink HFCS).
> Which doesn't account for anything other than normal inflation.
>
> The U.S. alone will produce 10 billion short tons of HFCS this year.
> That would make a lot of ethanol, so why hasn't the price of HFCS
> risen?
>
> ADM? Government Hoax?
>
> -sw

heh. Maybe they don't want to lose this part of the corn business?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 May 2008 15:50:22 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>James Silverton wrote:
>> .
>> Sometimes it's a bit weird! Yesterday, I tried to buy some ordinary rice
>> at the local Giant. There was an aisle labelled "Rice" but all that was
>> there was the dumb precooked stuff like Uncle Ben's. I had to go to the
>> "Imported" aisle to find regular rice (grown in the US!)

>The Kroger store I shop in has the rice and beans on the same aisle.
>Convenient as that is a staple food around here. The import stuff is one
>aisle over, one side is oriental, Mexican, etc, the other is stuff made
>in Louisiana. Never thought I would be importing food from 20 miles away
>here in Louisiana.

well, they can't very well label the aisle 'wog food.'

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 May 2008 16:54:00 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

>George Shirley wrote:
>> It's the Walmart syndrome. Ever been in the supermarket at a Super
>> Walmart? Every damned week they move the things on the aisles around and
>> even change the aisles. Their marketing people are hoping you will get
>> confused and have to wander around and the more you wander the more you
>> will buy. The main reason I don't shop there.

>Aha! That's the only reason my daughter and I can come up with for most
>such rearrangements. They must be awful for the employees too. :-(

i can't help but think there must be a better reason. if it's an
irritation for you, think of the trouble the store goes to. that's a
big expense to go to just to spur more impulse buys.

your pal,
blake