Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jalterio

Default Campbell Soup

Hi,

I'm a reporter in Westchester County, N.Y., writing about Campbell Soup
from a business perspective. I'm looking at the company's new
strategies, including on-the-go soups you can microwave and sip as well
as premium soups like the new boxed butternut squash soup.

I'm hoping to talk with consumers in Westchester, Rockland or Putnam
counties about whether they eat Campbell's and what they think about
the soups.

My deadline is Friday, Jan. 6.

Thanks!

Julie

Julie Moran Alterio
Technology and business reporter
The Journal News
One Gannett Drive
White Plains, N.Y. 10604
914-232-2960

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brian Huntley

Jalterio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a reporter in Westchester County, N.Y., writing about Campbell Soup
> from a business perspective. I'm looking at the company's new
> strategies, including on-the-go soups you can microwave and sip as well
> as premium soups like the new boxed butternut squash soup.

I'm not in your county, but I have tried the new Campbell's soups.

The On-the-go soups require an overly fussy preparation procedure (take
one top off, set it aside, remove other top, discard it, heat soup 2
minutes, reapply plastic top.) As well, some have a poor texture - for
example, the cream of mushroom has had its mushrooms cut up so small
(to make them sippable) that they're almost gritty. Besides that,
they're ecologically wasteful.

The new Tetrapak'ed premium soups, however, are very tasty and from
what I've seen so far, reasonably priced (compared to Campbell's canned
ready to serve and especially to Knorr's boxed products.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curly Sue

On 4 Jan 2006 12:46:52 -0800, "Jalterio" > wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm a reporter in Westchester County, N.Y., writing about Campbell Soup
>from a business perspective. I'm looking at the company's new
>strategies, including on-the-go soups you can microwave and sip as well
>as premium soups like the new boxed butternut squash soup.
>
>I'm hoping to talk with consumers in Westchester, Rockland or Putnam
>counties about whether they eat Campbell's and what they think about
>the soups.

I pass through Westchester a couple of times a year. Does that count?

I like the idea of the "Soup at Hand" to prevent me from raiding the
vending machines at work. The vegetable one is pretty tasty, though a
bit too salty.

However, I don't like the idea of wasteful packaging. So the
saltiness and packaging is what stops me from buying them on a regular
basis.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Brian Huntley wrote:
> Jalterio wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm a reporter in Westchester County, N.Y., writing about Campbell
>> Soup from a business perspective. I'm looking at the company's new
>> strategies, including on-the-go soups you can microwave and sip as
>> well as premium soups like the new boxed butternut squash soup.

> I'm not in your county, but I have tried the new Campbell's soups.
>
> The On-the-go soups require an overly fussy preparation procedure
> (take one top off, set it aside, remove other top, discard it, heat
> soup 2 minutes, reapply plastic top.)

I'm sorry, I don't think that's "overly fussy". How long does it take to
remove a 2 tops, nuke something then put the sippy-top back on? You lose
what, four minutes of your life?

As well, some have a poor
> texture - for example, the cream of mushroom has had its mushrooms
> cut up so small (to make them sippable) that they're almost gritty.

But some are just fine, too. I used to keep the tomato soup in my desk at
work for those days when I was so slammed I couldn't stop to get a real
meal.

> Besides that, they're ecologically wasteful.

This is true.

> The new Tetrapak'ed premium soups, however, are very tasty and from
> what I've seen so far, reasonably priced (compared to Campbell's
> canned ready to serve and especially to Knorr's boxed products.)

I'm not sure what you mean by "Tetrapak'ed". Are you talking about the new
'gourmet' select soups that come in boxes? Or the other microwaveable
select soups that come in squat cans? The latter has the same problem as
the sippy ones. I haven't tried the boxed soups.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Perfect Tommy

The various "cream of" soups make acceptable wallpaper paste, in a
pinch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

jmcquown wrote:

> I'm sorry, I don't think that's "overly fussy". How long does it take to
> remove a 2 tops, nuke something then put the sippy-top back on? You lose
> what, four minutes of your life?

It takes at least that long to respond to a "reporter" with a yahoo address
:-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Soren Lorensen

In article >, Curly Sue
> wrote:

> On 4 Jan 2006 12:46:52 -0800, "Jalterio" > wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm a reporter in Westchester County, N.Y., writing about Campbell Soup
> >from a business perspective. I'm looking at the company's new
> >strategies, including on-the-go soups you can microwave and sip as well
> >as premium soups like the new boxed butternut squash soup.
> >
> >I'm hoping to talk with consumers in Westchester, Rockland or Putnam
> >counties about whether they eat Campbell's and what they think about
> >the soups.

> I pass through Westchester a couple of times a year. Does that count?
>

> I like the idea of the "Soup at Hand" to prevent me from raiding the
> vending machines at work. The vegetable one is pretty tasty, though a
> bit too salty.
>
> However, I don't like the idea of wasteful packaging. So the
> saltiness and packaging is what stops me from buying them on a regular
> basis.
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

The concept is a little offensive. This artificial marketeer's idea of
a young, hip, and on-the-go consumer is bogus. Making people conscious
of improving their health and creating less stressful lives rather than
encouraging this notion of rushing from one meeting to the next with no
time for even rudimentary hygiene.

So I'm with Curly Sue. Commercial soups like Campbell's are so
grotesquely salty that I can't be a consumer. I have no idea who is in
their demographic, or who is taste-testing these to begin with, but it
has to be a very salt starved community of people. Campbell's would
better serve their market segments by not just offering a reduced
sodium alternative, which in itself is hardly reduced enough, but by
creating an entire campaign around the idea that experiences,
relationships, and moderation are far more important than gulping down
a viscous guar-gum and sodium laden pudding, barely keeping down the
hork as you scrape and kick your way to the top of the corporate
ladder.

As for the waste, yes it's yet another unnecessary piece of junk to
toss. But I honestly don't think most people care. I doubt the average
person in your area of research bother to recycle, like many American
communities.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
bobemeril

Campbells Slop? No Thanks. Give them to Sheldon,he can heat 'em up in
his Garage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Soren Lorensen wrote:
> In article >, Curly Sue
> > wrote:
>
>> On 4 Jan 2006 12:46:52 -0800, "Jalterio" > wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm a reporter in Westchester County, N.Y., writing about Campbell
>>> Soup from a business perspective. I'm looking at the company's new
>>> strategies, including on-the-go soups you can microwave and sip as
>>> well as premium soups like the new boxed butternut squash soup.
>>>

>> I like the idea of the "Soup at Hand" to prevent me from raiding the
>> vending machines at work. The vegetable one is pretty tasty, though
>> a bit too salty.
>>
>> However, I don't like the idea of wasteful packaging. So the
>> saltiness and packaging is what stops me from buying them on a
>> regular basis.
>>
>> Sue(tm)
>> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

> The concept is a little offensive. This artificial marketeer's idea of
> a young, hip, and on-the-go consumer is bogus. Making people conscious
> of improving their health and creating less stressful lives rather
> than encouraging this notion of rushing from one meeting to the next
> with no time for even rudimentary hygiene.

Hygiene? You don't bathe in the soup!

But seriously, your points are well taken *except*... many people ARE
rushing from one meeting to the next with no time to stop for a lengthy
lunch. I'm not particularly young nor am I hip but I've had more than my
share of days when I couldn't take a half hour for lunch, let alone an hour.
(Note: I'm not one of those grab fast-food people, either... I was bringing
leftovers and eating at my desk a lot of the time to help resolve difficult
problems with databases being down, etc.) Campbell's isn't the one who
created the concept of the busy working person, they are merely cashing in
on it.

> So I'm with Curly Sue. Commercial soups like Campbell's are so
> grotesquely salty that I can't be a consumer. I have no idea who is in
> their demographic, or who is taste-testing these to begin with, but it
> has to be a very salt starved community of people.

Curly Sue didn't say they are "grotesquely salty"; she said a "bit too
salty". Surely no more salty than that package of cheese/PB crackers or
microwave popcorn I've seen a lot of busy people call their quick lunch.

Campbell's would
> better serve their market segments by not just offering a reduced
> sodium alternative, which in itself is hardly reduced enough, but by
> creating an entire campaign around the idea that experiences,
> relationships, and moderation are far more important

(snippage)

In a perfect world, of course. But Campbell's isn't responsible for the way
the "corporate world" works nor for anyone's stress levels, relationships or
anything of that nature.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.

Soren Lorensen wrote:
> The concept is a little offensive. This artificial marketeer's idea of
> a young, hip, and on-the-go consumer is bogus. Making people conscious
> of improving their health and creating less stressful lives rather than
> encouraging this notion of rushing from one meeting to the next with no
> time for even rudimentary hygiene.
>
> So I'm with Curly Sue. Commercial soups like Campbell's are so
> grotesquely salty that I can't be a consumer. I have no idea who is in
> their demographic, or who is taste-testing these to begin with, but it
> has to be a very salt starved community of people. Campbell's would
> better serve their market segments by not just offering a reduced
> sodium alternative, which in itself is hardly reduced enough, but by
> creating an entire campaign around the idea that experiences,
> relationships, and moderation are far more important than gulping down
> a viscous guar-gum and sodium laden pudding, barely keeping down the
> hork as you scrape and kick your way to the top of the corporate
> ladder.
>
> As for the waste, yes it's yet another unnecessary piece of junk to
> toss. But I honestly don't think most people care. I doubt the average
> person in your area of research bother to recycle, like many American
> communities.

ITA, recycling or not. The stuff is schlock, the packaging wasteful,
and the whole concept obnoxious. I think it's pretty much a product
birthed in the idea of helping people be more lazy. Right up there
with the pre-made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and presliced
vegetables. I mean, really - how hard is it to open a can of soup and
heat it up (unless one has a disability, etc.) ?
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com>,
"-L." > wrote:

> Soren Lorensen wrote:
> > The concept is a little offensive. This artificial marketeer's idea of
> > a young, hip, and on-the-go consumer is bogus. Making people conscious
> > of improving their health and creating less stressful lives rather than
> > encouraging this notion of rushing from one meeting to the next with no
> > time for even rudimentary hygiene.
> >
> > So I'm with Curly Sue. Commercial soups like Campbell's are so
> > grotesquely salty that I can't be a consumer. I have no idea who is in
> > their demographic, or who is taste-testing these to begin with, but it
> > has to be a very salt starved community of people. Campbell's would
> > better serve their market segments by not just offering a reduced
> > sodium alternative, which in itself is hardly reduced enough, but by
> > creating an entire campaign around the idea that experiences,
> > relationships, and moderation are far more important than gulping down
> > a viscous guar-gum and sodium laden pudding, barely keeping down the
> > hork as you scrape and kick your way to the top of the corporate
> > ladder.
> >
> > As for the waste, yes it's yet another unnecessary piece of junk to
> > toss. But I honestly don't think most people care. I doubt the average
> > person in your area of research bother to recycle, like many American
> > communities.

> ITA, recycling or not. The stuff is schlock, the packaging wasteful,
> and the whole concept obnoxious. I think it's pretty much a product
> birthed in the idea of helping people be more lazy. Right up there
> with the pre-made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and presliced
> vegetables. I mean, really - how hard is it to open a can of soup and
> heat it up (unless one has a disability, etc.) ?
> -L.

There is a reason that I ran that thread "Cold from the can?" a bit ago.
There are nights at work I might not even have time to OPEN a can, much
less consume it even one "run-by-the-can-and-grab-a-bite" moment at a
time.

It's not unusual for me to not even eat at all! Iced tea, water, or even
iced coffee will cut the hunger pangs. Right now is our busiest time and
I have TAT's that I have to meet, especially on cardiac marker testing.
There literally is no time!

Personally, I'd rather munch out on a can of canned veggies (or fruit)
than commercial soups. They really are WAY too salty with about 2 days
sodium allowance in some cans!

I buy the "no salt added" canned veggies and the flavor is superior
without all that salt! The texture is much better also. Salt makes
things all mushy. :-P

Campbells does make a few low sodium soups, but they suck and, most of
all, the price on them is ASSININE! $1.29 for a non-dilutable can about
1/2 the size of their regular cans!

Forget it.
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article .com>,
> "-L." > wrote:
>

> Campbells does make a few low sodium soups, but they suck and, most of
> all, the price on them is ASSININE! $1.29 for a non-dilutable can about
> 1/2 the size of their regular cans!
>
> Forget it.
> --

I totally agree! I'm not paying that much for cream flavored salt! I've
got homemade stock (chicken, turkey & ham) in my freezer if I want soup. At
least I know where *that* came from.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > In article .com>,
> > "-L." > wrote:
> >

> > Campbells does make a few low sodium soups, but they suck and, most of
> > all, the price on them is ASSININE! $1.29 for a non-dilutable can about
> > 1/2 the size of their regular cans!
> >
> > Forget it.
> > --

> I totally agree! I'm not paying that much for cream flavored salt! I've
> got homemade stock (chicken, turkey & ham) in my freezer if I want soup. At
> least I know where *that* came from.
>
> kili

<lol> Since I've been on a chicken foot spree lately, I've got plenty of
frozen fabulous soup stock.

I'll take some out of the freezer, add a bit of soy sauce, garlic and
onion powder, then toss in a couple of packages of Shirataki noodles.

Instant low carb Ramen. ;-d

I pressure cooked two trotters the other night and ate them by
themselves with a bit of salt. The stock from those is still in the
'frige and it's really "bouncy".

Good stuff!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> There is a reason that I ran that thread "Cold from the can?" a bit ago.
> There are nights at work I might not even have time to OPEN a can, much
> less consume it even one "run-by-the-can-and-grab-a-bite" moment at a
> time.
>
> It's not unusual for me to not even eat at all! Iced tea, water, or even
> iced coffee will cut the hunger pangs. Right now is our busiest time and
> I have TAT's that I have to meet, especially on cardiac marker testing.
> There literally is no time!

If that's truly the case, you need a new job or new priorities.
Seriously. No one should live like that. I can't think you can be
very effficient or effective if you are unable to eat properly.
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com>,
"-L." > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > There is a reason that I ran that thread "Cold from the can?" a bit ago.
> > There are nights at work I might not even have time to OPEN a can, much
> > less consume it even one "run-by-the-can-and-grab-a-bite" moment at a
> > time.
> >
> > It's not unusual for me to not even eat at all! Iced tea, water, or even
> > iced coffee will cut the hunger pangs. Right now is our busiest time and
> > I have TAT's that I have to meet, especially on cardiac marker testing.
> > There literally is no time!

> If that's truly the case, you need a new job or new priorities.

Somebody has to do it...
When somebody is dying, you have no time.
I think my priorities are straight, thank you!

Potty breaks are one of them. <G>
I've timed myself. I can do what I need to do in under 2 minutes.

> Seriously. No one should live like that.

I don't mind.
Seriously.

And it's not all the time.
Just during the winter when it gets really busy.

There are worse places to work that are understaffed.
We are not. It's stressful, but I'm ok with it.
The adreneline rush during a code can be rather addicting too. ;-D

It gives me a great sense of peace and personal satisfaction to know
that my skills and care can make a difference.

> I can't think you can be
> very effficient or effective if you are unable to eat properly.
> -L.

Nah. I lost my food obsession a long time ago.
I'm overweight. I can afford to skip meals during an 8 hour shift. <G>
You sleep for 8 hours and don't eat anything, right?
I'm not going to starve to death.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "kilikini" > wrote:
>

> I pressure cooked two trotters the other night and ate them by
> themselves with a bit of salt. The stock from those is still in the
> 'frige and it's really "bouncy".
>
> Good stuff!
> --
> Om.

Speaking of "bouncy" stock, my hubby made some ham stock the other day (as
per my instructions - I couldn't do it because of my broken hand) and when
he went to pour it into a tupperware container the next day, he was appalled
at the gelatinous consistency. He thought it was gross! I had to explain
to him that if it's "bouncy" he did it right. LOL.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> "-L." > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >> There is a reason that I ran that thread "Cold from the can?" a bit ago.
> >> There are nights at work I might not even have time to OPEN a can, much
> >> less consume it even one "run-by-the-can-and-grab-a-bite" moment at a
> >> time.
> >>
> >> It's not unusual for me to not even eat at all! Iced tea, water, or even
> >> iced coffee will cut the hunger pangs. Right now is our busiest time and
> >> I have TAT's that I have to meet, especially on cardiac marker testing.
> >> There literally is no time!

> > If that's truly the case, you need a new job or new priorities.
> > Seriously. No one should live like that. I can't think you can be
> > very effficient or effective if you are unable to eat properly.
> > -L.
> >

> If you have a lab coat, keep one pocket to squirrel-away some nuts & raisins
> or dried fruit.
> Dee Dee

<lol> It's not allowed, but that does not mean it never happens. ;-)

I tend to stash jerky bits in a plastic bag...
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg

kilikini wrote:

> Speaking of "bouncy" stock, my hubby made some ham stock the other day (as
> per my instructions - I couldn't do it because of my broken hand) and when
> he went to pour it into a tupperware container the next day, he was appalled
> at the gelatinous consistency. He thought it was gross! I had to explain
> to him that if it's "bouncy" he did it right. LOL.

Broken hand??? I must have missed that somewhere.

Kili, I hope you recover quickly and there's no long term
effects. My last hand injury was a real bitch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 05 Jan 2006 12:10:02p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it kilikini?

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
>> In article >, "kilikini"
>> > wrote:
>>

>> I pressure cooked two trotters the other night and ate them by
>> themselves with a bit of salt. The stock from those is still in the
>> 'frige and it's really "bouncy".
>>
>> Good stuff!
>> --
>> Om.

> Speaking of "bouncy" stock, my hubby made some ham stock the other day
> (as per my instructions - I couldn't do it because of my broken hand)
> and when he went to pour it into a tupperware container the next day, he
> was appalled at the gelatinous consistency. He thought it was gross! I
> had to explain to him that if it's "bouncy" he did it right. LOL.
>
> kili

How/when did you break your hand?

Bouncy stock is good! Many years ago when I made my first pot of chicken
stock, I didn't really know quite what to expect. It was bouncy, and I
thought it was spoiled. <g>

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "kilikini" > wrote:
> >

> > I pressure cooked two trotters the other night and ate them by
> > themselves with a bit of salt. The stock from those is still in the
> > 'frige and it's really "bouncy".
> >
> > Good stuff!
> > --
> > Om.

> Speaking of "bouncy" stock, my hubby made some ham stock the other day (as
> per my instructions - I couldn't do it because of my broken hand) and when
> he went to pour it into a tupperware container the next day, he was appalled
> at the gelatinous consistency. He thought it was gross! I had to explain
> to him that if it's "bouncy" he did it right. LOL.
>
> kili

That's a more common problem than you might think. <G>
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"Reg" > wrote in message
. ..
> kilikini wrote:
>
> > Speaking of "bouncy" stock, my hubby made some ham stock the other day

(as
> > per my instructions - I couldn't do it because of my broken hand) and

when
> > he went to pour it into a tupperware container the next day, he was

appalled
> > at the gelatinous consistency. He thought it was gross! I had to

explain
> > to him that if it's "bouncy" he did it right. LOL.

> Broken hand??? I must have missed that somewhere.
>
> Kili, I hope you recover quickly and there's no long term
> effects. My last hand injury was a real bitch.
>
> --
> Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

Thanks, Reg. I did it at work by smashing it between a couple of kegs.
Brilliant move, but we were busy.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Thu 05 Jan 2006 12:10:02p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it kilikini?
>

> > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> >> In article >, "kilikini"
> >>

> >> I pressure cooked two trotters the other night and ate them by
> >> themselves with a bit of salt. The stock from those is still in the
> >> 'frige and it's really "bouncy".
> >>
> >> Good stuff!
> >> --
> >> Om.

> > Speaking of "bouncy" stock, my hubby made some ham stock the other day
> > (as per my instructions - I couldn't do it because of my broken hand)
> > and when he went to pour it into a tupperware container the next day, he
> > was appalled at the gelatinous consistency. He thought it was gross! I
> > had to explain to him that if it's "bouncy" he did it right. LOL.
> >
> > kili

> How/when did you break your hand?
>
> Bouncy stock is good! Many years ago when I made my first pot of chicken
> stock, I didn't really know quite what to expect. It was bouncy, and I
> thought it was spoiled. <g>
>
> --

New Year's Eve. I work in a liquor store and we were so dang busy, I had to
go into the cooler and basically throw kegs around. I smashed my hand.
It's got a lovely bruise to go along with the bump from the broken bone.

I guess you had the same idea about stock that my hubby did! LOL. He
thought it was ruined! I had to prove to him that when you heat it, it
turns watery again. It's going to be one of my fond memories. You should
have seen his face! I thought he was going to vomit. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 05 Jan 2006 01:04:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it kilikini?

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Thu 05 Jan 2006 12:10:02p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> kilikini?

>> > Speaking of "bouncy" stock, my hubby made some ham stock the other
>> > day (as per my instructions - I couldn't do it because of my broken
>> > hand) and when he went to pour it into a tupperware container the
>> > next day, he was appalled at the gelatinous consistency. He thought
>> > it was gross! I had to explain to him that if it's "bouncy" he did
>> > it right. LOL.
>> >
>> > kili

>> How/when did you break your hand?
>>
>> Bouncy stock is good! Many years ago when I made my first pot of
>> chicken stock, I didn't really know quite what to expect. It was
>> bouncy, and I thought it was spoiled. <g>
>>
>> --

> New Year's Eve. I work in a liquor store and we were so dang busy, I
> had to go into the cooler and basically throw kegs around. I smashed my
> hand. It's got a lovely bruise to go along with the bump from the broken
> bone.

Ouch! Shouldn't it be in a cast?

> I guess you had the same idea about stock that my hubby did! LOL. He
> thought it was ruined! I had to prove to him that when you heat it, it
> turns watery again. It's going to be one of my fond memories. You
> should have seen his face! I thought he was going to vomit. :~)

Well, after I bounced back from the bouncy stock, I did a bit of reading
and learned a *lot* more about stock. It was delicious!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Thu 05 Jan 2006 01:04:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it kilikini?
>
> >> --

> > New Year's Eve. I work in a liquor store and we were so dang busy, I
> > had to go into the cooler and basically throw kegs around. I smashed my
> > hand. It's got a lovely bruise to go along with the bump from the broken
> > bone.

> Ouch! Shouldn't it be in a cast?

I don't have insurance and I'm not filing a claim; things happen. If I had
a cast on, I wouldn't be able to work or do anything at all! It's much
better this way.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 05 Jan 2006 01:28:43p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it kilikini?

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Thu 05 Jan 2006 01:04:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> kilikini?

>> > New Year's Eve. I work in a liquor store and we were so dang busy, I
>> > had to go into the cooler and basically throw kegs around. I smashed
>> > my hand. It's got a lovely bruise to go along with the bump from the
>> > broken bone.

>> Ouch! Shouldn't it be in a cast?
>>

> I don't have insurance and I'm not filing a claim; things happen. If I
> had a cast on, I wouldn't be able to work or do anything at all! It's
> much better this way.
>
> kili

I hope it heals properly.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Thu 05 Jan 2006 01:28:43p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it kilikini?
>

> > "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> >> On Thu 05 Jan 2006 01:04:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
> >> kilikini?

> >> Ouch! Shouldn't it be in a cast?
> >>

> > I don't have insurance and I'm not filing a claim; things happen. If I
> > had a cast on, I wouldn't be able to work or do anything at all! It's
> > much better this way.
> >
> > kili

> I hope it heals properly.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Thanks, Wayne!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Default Worker's Comp ( Campbell Soup)

kilikini wrote:
> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Thu 05 Jan 2006 01:04:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> kilikini?

>>> New Year's Eve. I work in a liquor store and we were so dang busy,
>>> I had to go into the cooler and basically throw kegs around. I
>>> smashed my hand. It's got a lovely bruise to go along with the bump
>>> from the broken bone.

>> Ouch! Shouldn't it be in a cast?
>>

> I don't have insurance and I'm not filing a claim; things happen. If
> I had a cast on, I wouldn't be able to work or do anything at all!
> It's much better this way.
>
> kili

It might not set properly. Your employer is required to carry Worker's
Compensation insurance; it's not like a strike against you. You get medical
care and paid while your hand heals. The employer is not allowed to fire
you for being hurt in the course of your job duties. I don't understand why
people won't file Work Comp claims when it's a legitimate injury; there are
a hell of a lot people who *aren't* injured who file them to collect
benefits.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

jmcquown wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>
>>"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. ..

>>>On Thu 05 Jan 2006 01:04:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>>>kilikini?

>>>Ouch! Shouldn't it be in a cast?
>>>

>>I don't have insurance and I'm not filing a claim; things happen. If
>>I had a cast on, I wouldn't be able to work or do anything at all!
>>It's much better this way.
>>
>>kili

> It might not set properly. Your employer is required to carry Worker's
> Compensation insurance; it's not like a strike against you. You get medical
> care and paid while your hand heals. The employer is not allowed to fire
> you for being hurt in the course of your job duties. I don't understand why
> people won't file Work Comp claims when it's a legitimate injury; there are
> a hell of a lot people who *aren't* injured who file them to collect
> benefits.
>
> Jill

I'm not sure what the laws are in Fla, but it could very well be a mark
against her. They might not fire her for that officially, but they could
still fire her for some other "reason".

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

sarah bennett wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> kilikini wrote:

>>> I don't have insurance and I'm not filing a claim; things happen.
>>> If
>>> I had a cast on, I wouldn't be able to work or do anything at all!
>>> It's much better this way.
>>>
>>> kili

>> It might not set properly. Your employer is required to carry
>> Worker's Compensation insurance; it's not like a strike against you.
>> You get medical care and paid while your hand heals. The employer
>> is not allowed to fire you for being hurt in the course of your job
>> duties. I don't understand why people won't file Work Comp claims
>> when it's a legitimate injury; there are a hell of a lot people who
>> *aren't* injured who file them to collect benefits.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> I'm not sure what the laws are in Fla, but it could very well be a
> mark against her. They might not fire her for that officially, but
> they could still fire her for some other "reason".

I worked for a company that administered WC claims. Florida is one of the
more stringent in terms of how quickly a claimant must receive their checks
and mandates an extensive return to work process to get the employee back to
work even in a form of modified duty. They cannot fire you for filing a
claim.

Considering this was supposed to be a part-time, 2-3 days a week job which
has now turned into much more than that and sometimes double shifts, plus
she's training other hirees, I doubt they'd fire her. If her hand doesn't
heal properly she might not be able to sling those kegs around.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg

jmcquown wrote:

> Considering this was supposed to be a part-time, 2-3 days a week job which
> has now turned into much more than that and sometimes double shifts, plus
> she's training other hirees, I doubt they'd fire her. If her hand doesn't
> heal properly she might not be able to sling those kegs around.

Exactly. I've had several hand injuries over the years, and
the effects can be permanent. The worst one was several broken
metacarpals, and the Doc assured me that not fixing them
properly would probably effect my ability to lift and
grasp for the rest of my life, which I instinctively sensed.
I was lucky to have access to a specialist because it resulted
in me eventually getting back full function.

Not trying to add to your anxiety here Kili, I'm just
a bit concerned.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Soren Lorensen

In article >, jmcquown
> wrote:

> Soren Lorensen wrote:
> > In article >, Curly Sue
> > > wrote:

> >> I like the idea of the "Soup at Hand" to prevent me from raiding the
> >> vending machines at work. The vegetable one is pretty tasty, though
> >> a bit too salty.
> >>
> >> However, I don't like the idea of wasteful packaging. So the
> >> saltiness and packaging is what stops me from buying them on a
> >> regular basis.
> >>
> >> Sue(tm)
> >> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

> > The concept is a little offensive. This artificial marketeer's idea of
> > a young, hip, and on-the-go consumer is bogus. Making people conscious
> > of improving their health and creating less stressful lives rather
> > than encouraging this notion of rushing from one meeting to the next
> > with no time for even rudimentary hygiene.
> >

> Hygiene? You don't bathe in the soup!

Well, unless a skunk wanders by but that's another story....

> But seriously, your points are well taken *except*... many people ARE
> rushing from one meeting to the next with no time to stop for a lengthy
> lunch. I'm not particularly young nor am I hip but I've had more than my
> share of days when I couldn't take a half hour for lunch, let alone an hour.
> (Note: I'm not one of those grab fast-food people, either... I was bringing
> leftovers and eating at my desk a lot of the time to help resolve difficult
> problems with databases being down, etc.) Campbell's isn't the one who
> created the concept of the busy working person, they are merely cashing in
> on it.

I'm merely pointing out that for some reason their traditional
marketing campaigns weren't working. Maybe it was the wrong target
audience. Before this soup in a cup, I only saw commercials for chicken
noodle directed at mom's of young kids. I get the concept they are
going for in trying to address the reality of many people's lives, but
remember that condition is also driven by marketing. People identify
with an image and buy into it. I'm suggesting that the concept of an
enthusiastic workforce that has no time for healthy, paced meals is in
itself as unhealthy as the product it's pitching. Norman Rockwell's
thanksgiving dinner painting wasn't exactly reality for many homes
either, but America still buys into it.

> > So I'm with Curly Sue. Commercial soups like Campbell's are so
> > grotesquely salty that I can't be a consumer. I have no idea who is in
> > their demographic, or who is taste-testing these to begin with, but it
> > has to be a very salt starved community of people.

> Curly Sue didn't say they are "grotesquely salty"; she said a "bit too
> salty". Surely no more salty than that package of cheese/PB crackers or
> microwave popcorn I've seen a lot of busy people call their quick lunch.

You're right, she didn't say that. That's the reason I didn't put
quotes around it. I'm with her...I sided with her argument. Then I
embellished it with my own opinion about the salt content. If it's
tolerable for you so be it. Though the comparison's you cite are
necessarily beaming of intelligent decision making on the part of those
eaters either. It's tough I know. I live the same way, but compare that
to a quick cheese sandwich on grain bread and an apple. No glitz, no
glamour...it's not hip enough for the cubicle crowd. But it's cheap,
quick to make, feeds you for days, can be eaten with one hand, has very
little unnatural waste, and doesn't turn your kidneys upside-down.
It's not for every day but it doesn't have to be. But at least there
isn't some phony corporate image campaign compelling me to believe I
don't measure up unless I have that product.

> Campbell's would
> > better serve their market segments by not just offering a reduced
> > sodium alternative, which in itself is hardly reduced enough, but by
> > creating an entire campaign around the idea that experiences,
> > relationships, and moderation are far more important

> (snippage)
>
> In a perfect world, of course. But Campbell's isn't responsible for the way
> the "corporate world" works nor for anyone's stress levels, relationships or
> anything of that nature.

Again, the public buys into images - sometimes without even knowing it,
sometimes because we want to believe we are that guy or gal on the
commercial. That is what makes branding such a huge business effort.

But just because a corporation is "cashing in" on a social condition
doesn't mean you can't demand some benefits for yourself. Campbell's
could easily cash in on a healthier product with less waste that is
just as quick to scarf down if they market it right.

I agree that they aren't responsible for the condition of overworked
adults. But if enough people are reminded that they have less
destructive options and think for themselves about their own body's
needs, a big corporate machine like Campbell might not find the rewards
to be as great. The idea of a consumer culture isn't just to wait to be
told what should be consumed, it's for you and I to evaluate and
dissect the pitch and make an informed decision. Too idealistic? Maybe
so. Thanks for your thoughts though.

> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Your employer is required to carry Worker's
> Compensation insurance

Ours does not, and announces that they do not.
We sign an agreement that we understand that.

They have their own private workers comp. program instead
as paying out for insurance was too costly.
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
SD

Soren Lorensen wrote:
> In article >, jmcquown
> > Hygiene? You don't bathe in the soup!

> Well, unless a skunk wanders by but that's another story....

Tomato soup doesn't work...it's tomato juice that you use. It's not
nearly as effective as a hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and Dawn
dishwashing detergent remedy that anyone with skunk chasing dogs relies
upon.

SD

Posted to rec.food.cooking
SD

-L. wrote:
> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > There is a reason that I ran that thread "Cold from the can?" a bit ago.
> > There are nights at work I might not even have time to OPEN a can, much
> > less consume it even one "run-by-the-can-and-grab-a-bite" moment at a
> > time.
> >
> > It's not unusual for me to not even eat at all! Iced tea, water, or even
> > iced coffee will cut the hunger pangs. Right now is our busiest time and
> > I have TAT's that I have to meet, especially on cardiac marker testing.
> > There literally is no time!

> If that's truly the case, you need a new job or new priorities.
> Seriously. No one should live like that. I can't think you can be
> very effficient or effective if you are unable to eat properly.

I guess you've never worked in a hospital emergency room and had all
hell break loose in the form of mass causalties. Been there, done that.
I guess should have told the 4 guys from the military air crash and the
two auto accident patients that they would have to wait. Hey...I have
to get my priorities straight...my lunch is more important than you
emergency care. Some of do have our priorities straight...at that time
in my life, emergency care for those patient was a higher priority than
my lunch.

SD

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.punk
BoboBonobo

SD wrote:
> -L. wrote:
> > I mean, really - how hard is it to open a can of soup and
> > heat it up (unless one has a disability, etc.) ?

> Pretty simple concept he not all workplaces are quipped with kitchen
> facilities where staff can prepare lunches. Not all workers have
> perfect worlds where lunch is always an hour long. Over worked, over
> stressed workers can nuke their lunches in the microwave and dispose of
> the containers. Is it good food? Not really. Is it good nutrition? not
> really. On some days, that may all a person may be able to manage as a
> meal break.I've missed plenty of meals when an 8 hour ER shift turns
> into a 36 hour shift with breaks that were catch as catch can. That was
> before the days of micorwave products like this and we just did without
> eating period.

One rather good canned product is Chilli Man Lean Beef Chili, and if
you're not restricting carbs, Cheddar Cheese Goldfish go nicely, and
are trans-fat free. Funny, but Goldfish are a Campbell's product,
since they bought the Pepperidge Farm brand.

I wonder how many cardiac patients you treat spent years thinking that
margarine was a healthier alternative to butter. Also, one thing that
sucks is how many health care professionals--mostly nurses--deal with
the stress of their jobs by smoking. I applaud those hospitals that
require smoking cessation as a condition of continued employment, and
those that have designated the whole campus as smoke-free.

I also want to say, "Thank you for working in an ER." I have a
brother-in-law who I don't particularly like, but I have to honor him
for the work he does. He's a firefighter/rescue person. I'd like to
see a policy that rewards years spent in frontline disaster roles--and
that includes ER personnel--with a generous retirement balloon, based
on years of service. An ER physician sure as Hell contributes more to
the well being of the population than does a CEO of a managed care
insurance company, but (s)he certainly isn't compensated accordingly.
We need, as a country, to encourage R&D, rather than marketing in the
drug industry, and physicians need to glean knowledge from journal
articles, rather than from the drug company reps who stifle best
practice by encouraging defensive medicine--use this product because it
is standard practice, and it'll be easy to defend your decision because
other doctors will back up that "standard practice" standard in any
malpractice suit. The for-profit drug industry should not dictate best
practice. Science, replicated studies, should set those standards, not
the corrupt practices of the pharmaceutical indusrtry.

> SD

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> Your employer is required to carry Worker's
>> Compensation insurance

> Ours does not, and announces that they do not.
> We sign an agreement that we understand that.
>
> They have their own private workers comp. program instead
> as paying out for insurance was too costly.

Yes, an employer can "self-insure" for Worker's Comp just as they can for
health plans. With self-insurance they are required to maintain a specific
amount of funds held in an escrow account to cover the cost of potential
claims.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Soren Lorensen wrote:
> In article >, jmcquown
> > wrote:
>
>> Soren Lorensen wrote:
>>> In article >, Curly Sue

>>> The concept is a little offensive. This artificial marketeer's idea
>>> of
>>> a young, hip, and on-the-go consumer is bogus. Making people
>>> conscious
>>> of improving their health and creating less stressful lives rather
>>> than encouraging this notion of rushing from one meeting to the next
>>> with no time for even rudimentary hygiene.
>>>

>> But seriously, your points are well taken *except*... many people ARE
>> rushing from one meeting to the next with no time to stop for a
>> lengthy lunch. I'm not particularly young nor am I hip but I've had
>> more than my share of days when I couldn't take a half hour for
>> lunch, let alone an hour. (Note: I'm not one of those grab
>> fast-food people, either... I was bringing leftovers and eating at
>> my desk a lot of the time to help resolve difficult problems with
>> databases being down, etc.) Campbell's isn't the one who created
>> the concept of the busy working person, they are merely cashing in
>> on it.

> I'm merely pointing out that for some reason their traditional
> marketing campaigns weren't working. Maybe it was the wrong target
> audience. Before this soup in a cup, I only saw commercials for
> chicken noodle directed at mom's of young kids. I get the concept
> they are
> going for in trying to address the reality of many people's lives, but
> remember that condition is also driven by marketing. People identify
> with an image and buy into it. I'm suggesting that the concept of an
> enthusiastic workforce that has no time for healthy, paced meals is in
> itself as unhealthy as the product it's pitching. Norman Rockwell's
> thanksgiving dinner painting wasn't exactly reality for many homes
> either, but America still buys into it.

Okay, I agree with that. And they pay a high price for those marketing and
ad execs to come up with these campaigns, too. But I don't buy their
products simply based on an ad campaign.

> compare that
> to a quick cheese sandwich on grain bread and an apple. No glitz, no
> glamour...it's not hip enough for the cubicle crowd. But it's cheap,
> quick to make, feeds you for days, can be eaten with one hand, has
> very little unnatural waste, and doesn't turn your kidneys
> upside-down.

I'd go for a grilled cheese, except I can't make a grilled cheese sandwich
at the office! Frankly, I never cared about what was 'hip' for the cubicle
crowd What was 'hip' for my last cubicle crowd was picking up Burger
King or Wendy's. Funny how they were always asking what I'd brought for
lunch (leftovers)

> It's not for every day but it doesn't have to be. But at least there
> isn't some phony corporate image campaign compelling me to believe I
> don't measure up unless I have that product.

Frankly, if people buy into that concept - not good enough, aren't driven
enough, won't succeed without this product - then they are stupid.

>> In a perfect world, of course. But Campbell's isn't responsible for
>> the way the "corporate world" works nor for anyone's stress levels,
>> relationships or anything of that nature.

> Again, the public buys into images - sometimes without even knowing
> it, sometimes because we want to believe we are that guy or gal on the
> commercial. That is what makes branding such a huge business effort.
>
> But just because a corporation is "cashing in" on a social condition
> doesn't mean you can't demand some benefits for yourself. Campbell's
> could easily cash in on a healthier product with less waste that is
> just as quick to scarf down if they market it right.

I totally agree with that. What's say we all write to Campbell's and demand
a healthier product and an ad campaign directed at the benefits of the same?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Default More Info Worker's Comp ( Campbell Soup)

jmcquown wrote:
> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>> In article >,
>> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>>
>>> Your employer is required to carry Worker's
>>> Compensation insurance

>> Ours does not, and announces that they do not.
>> We sign an agreement that we understand that.
>>
>> They have their own private workers comp. program instead
>> as paying out for insurance was too costly.

> Yes, an employer can "self-insure" for Worker's Comp just as they can
> for health plans. With self-insurance they are required to maintain
> a specific amount of funds held in an escrow account to cover the
> cost of potential claims.
>
> Jill

Not that anyone cares, but here's more information on self-insuring WC
claims:

http://info.insure.com/business/work...elfinsure.html

I dealt with this stuff for 11 years working for a third-party claims
administrator

Jill