Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mid-week survey on the RFC site: Campbell's Tomato Soup

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Vote now!

Thanks go to Virginia Tadrzynski for suggesting this survey
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chatty Cathy > wrote:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now!
>
> Thanks go to Virginia Tadrzynski for suggesting this survey
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Honestly, I generally use heated V-8 juice.

It's really quite good!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Honestly, I generally use heated V-8 juice.
>
> It's really quite good!

V-8 Juice heated up with some oregano and lots of diced veggies added
and heated until they're cooked a bit make a very respectable quick
soup. Low calorie and packed with nutritional punch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Omelet > said:
> In article >,
> Chatty Cathy > wrote:

> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> >
> > Vote now!
> >
> > Thanks go to Virginia Tadrzynski for suggesting this survey

> Honestly, I generally use heated V-8 juice.
>
> It's really quite good!

That does sound good! I usually use milk, though...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Honestly, I generally use heated V-8 juice.
>
> It's really quite good!

I have not seen the Campbell's brand here - so I can't really "judge".
However, the canned tomato soup we get here is generally so awful that I
avoid it like the plague. Yuk.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
unge (Little Malice) wrote:

> One time on Usenet, Omelet > said:
> > In article >,
> > Chatty Cathy > wrote:

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> > > Vote now!
> > >
> > > Thanks go to Virginia Tadrzynski for suggesting this survey

> > Honestly, I generally use heated V-8 juice.
> >
> > It's really quite good!

> That does sound good! I usually use milk, though...

V-8 juice, lightly nuked. :-)

Dad has made it using some paste added, and 1/2 & 1/2.

I've honestly not bought canned tomato soup in years.

It can also make a nice base for chili... Learned that from a co-worker
when we won the hospital chili cookoff using his recipe. The base was
V-8.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:

> I have not seen the Campbell's brand here - so I can't really "judge".
> However, the canned tomato soup we get here is generally so awful that I
> avoid it like the plague. Yuk.

Campbell's has become disgustingly sweet, IMO. They seem to have
increased the sweetener in the recipe to cater to kids. Blech. A few of
the house or generic brands taste less sweet to me and I stick with them
when buying canned tomato soup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chatty Cathy > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>

> > Honestly, I generally use heated V-8 juice.
> >
> > It's really quite good!

> I have not seen the Campbell's brand here - so I can't really "judge".
> However, the canned tomato soup we get here is generally so awful that I
> avoid it like the plague. Yuk.

I think that V-8 is made by Campbell's.

<googles>

Yep! :-) It is!

Canned tomato soup is boring.

I actually like V-8, both regular and low salt.
It's delicious hot when you are in the mood...

or even cold with Vodka and a celery stick. <G>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

> V-8 Juice heated up with some oregano and lots of diced veggies added
> and heated until they're cooked a bit make a very respectable quick
> soup. Low calorie and packed with nutritional punch.

As I understand it, V8 juice is mixed-veggie juice - but mainly tomato?

If so, we can get a very nice brand of pure tomato juice here with no
preservatives (and no sodium) so I think I will try your suggestion. Thanks!
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chatty Cathy > wrote:

> Goomba38 wrote:
>

> > V-8 Juice heated up with some oregano and lots of diced veggies added
> > and heated until they're cooked a bit make a very respectable quick
> > soup. Low calorie and packed with nutritional punch.

> As I understand it, V8 juice is mixed-veggie juice - but mainly tomato?

Yes, but the other flavors do make a difference.
From memory there are 8 juices hence the name.

I don't currently have any on hand, but I believe it's Tomato, celery,
watercress, carrot... Can't remember the other 4.

Anyone???

> If so, we can get a very nice brand of pure tomato juice here with no
> preservatives (and no sodium) so I think I will try your suggestion. Thanks!

Don't forget the Basil. :-d
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> I actually like V-8, both regular and low salt.
> It's delicious hot when you are in the mood...
>
> or even cold with Vodka and a celery stick. <G>

Yup. Bloody Mary. Typical "Monday" drink. The celery is the "healthy"
part. <veg>
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chatty Cathy > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>

> > I actually like V-8, both regular and low salt.
> > It's delicious hot when you are in the mood...
> >
> > or even cold with Vodka and a celery stick. <G>

> Yup. Bloody Mary. Typical "Monday" drink. The celery is the "healthy"
> part. <veg>

:-D
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Don't forget the Basil. :-d

As if I would! LOL

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

When I make it (which isn't often, but I used to eat it all the time),
it depends on who's eating it, and how I'm feeling about dairy at the
time. My really favorite way is with a can of milk, but James doesn't
like creamed soups (except clam chowder), so I use water when he's
sharing, or when I'm avoiding dairy.

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

> Campbell's has become disgustingly sweet, IMO. They seem to have
> increased the sweetener in the recipe to cater to kids. Blech. A few of
> the house or generic brands taste less sweet to me and I stick with them
> when buying canned tomato soup.

I think I know what you mean... if its not too salty, its too sweet -
Yuk, I say again. Luckily fresh tomatoes are readily available all year
round here, so... nothing wrong with "making your own". JMHO.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Omelet > said:
> In article >,
> unge (Little Malice) wrote:
> > One time on Usenet, Omelet > said:
> > > In article >,
> > > Chatty Cathy > wrote:

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> > > Honestly, I generally use heated V-8 juice.
> > >
> > > It's really quite good!

> > That does sound good! I usually use milk, though...

> V-8 juice, lightly nuked. :-)
>
> Dad has made it using some paste added, and 1/2 & 1/2.
>
> I've honestly not bought canned tomato soup in years.
>
> It can also make a nice base for chili... Learned that from a co-worker
> when we won the hospital chili cookoff using his recipe. The base was
> V-8.

I had you wrong, I was thinking you added V8 to the canned
tomato soup, which sounds good to me (I love the other seven
juices in V8). But I like your idea too. Lots of interesting
new ideas here... :-)

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

unge (Little Malice) wrote:

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> > > That does sound good! I usually use milk, though...

> > V-8 juice, lightly nuked. :-)
> >
> > Dad has made it using some paste added, and 1/2 & 1/2.
> >
> > I've honestly not bought canned tomato soup in years.
> >
> > It can also make a nice base for chili... Learned that from a co-worker
> > when we won the hospital chili cookoff using his recipe. The base was
> > V-8.

> I had you wrong, I was thinking you added V8 to the canned
> tomato soup, which sounds good to me (I love the other seven
> juices in V8). But I like your idea too. Lots of interesting
> new ideas here... :-)

No, the V-8 is used as is!

No canned tomato soup is harmed in that recipe. <G>

Most of the time I am in a hurry at work, and just nuke V-8 straight, as
is, for a quick hot meal.

With or without other items.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"l, not -l" > wrote:

> On 10-Jan-2007, Omelet > wrote:
>

> > > As I understand it, V8 juice is mixed-veggie juice - but mainly tomato?

> > Yes, but the other flavors do make a difference.
> > From memory there are 8 juices hence the name.

> tomatoes, beets, carrots, spinach, celery, lettuce, parsley, and watercress

Thought beets was one but was not sure, thanks!

I don't have a bottle on hand at the moment.

This thread has set a craving tho' <G>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>

>> Honestly, I generally use heated V-8 juice.
>>
>> It's really quite good!

> I have not seen the Campbell's brand here - so I can't really "judge".
> However, the canned tomato soup we get here is generally so awful that I
> avoid it like the plague. Yuk.

Campbell's is pretty awful. And salty (710 mg sodium per half cup!). I
gave up canned soups years ago. Tomato soup is so easy to make from
lower-salt canned tomatoes (190 mg sodium per half cup), with a big
dollop of home-grown pesto the flavor can't be beat. And the canned
tomato is a lot more versatile in the pantry.

I thought about using something like V-8 juice, but my husband doesn't
like the taste of it. He prefers straight tomato juice.

Dawn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chatty Cathy > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>

> > Honestly, I generally use heated V-8 juice.
> >
> > It's really quite good!

> I have not seen the Campbell's brand here - so I can't really "judge".
> However, the canned tomato soup we get here is generally so awful that I
> avoid it like the plague. Yuk.

Don't know about your stuff, but some dried herbs and a little hot sauce
help out around here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:

> When I make it (which isn't often, but I used to eat it all the time),
> it depends on who's eating it, and how I'm feeling about dairy at the
> time. My really favorite way is with a can of milk, but James doesn't
> like creamed soups (except clam chowder), so I use water when he's
> sharing, or when I'm avoiding dairy.

I have always used a half can of milk and a half can of water.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now!
>
> Thanks go to Virginia Tadrzynski for suggesting this survey
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

I do half milk & half water. When sis & I were kids, often we used to
share what we made for lunch & we had the milk - vs- water arguement
for t-soup. Sis being the older one suggested we go half way, ever
since, that is how I make it. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Serene wrote:
> >
> > When I make it (which isn't often, but I used to eat it all the time),
> > it depends on who's eating it, and how I'm feeling about dairy at the
> > time. My really favorite way is with a can of milk, but James doesn't
> > like creamed soups (except clam chowder), so I use water when he's
> > sharing, or when I'm avoiding dairy.

> I have always used a half can of milk and a half can of water.

And then melt a couple of slices of American cheese into it.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Dawn > said:

<snip>

> Campbell's is pretty awful. And salty (710 mg sodium per half cup!).

The nutrition info on the label is about the condensed soup
though -- if you're adding a can of water to that, it's about
half. Still high, but not as bad as it sounds on the label...

--
Jani in WA