Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Boxed pizza

Note that I am not recommending this stuff. I have had it. You don't want
it! But they still make it. I was at Winco foods today and saw the Chef
Boyardee sauce on the shelf and some other brand I've never heard of, of
boxed crust mix. I seem to remember that there was a brand called Apian Way
(sp?) that used to make the boxed stuff. Not sure if they still do. But I
looked it up and Chef Boyardee still makes it. Here's a link:

http://www.chefboyardee.com/products.jsp

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 24, 11:54*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> Note that I am not recommending this stuff. *I have had it. *You don't want
> it! *But they still make it. *I was at Winco foods today and saw the Chef
> Boyardee sauce on the shelf and some other brand I've never heard of, of
> boxed crust mix. *I seem to remember that there was a brand called Apian Way
> (sp?) that used to make the boxed stuff. *Not sure if they still do. *But I
> looked it up and Chef Boyardee still makes it. *Here's a link:
>
> http://www.chefboyardee.com/products.jsp

And your point is? Worthless. Dumb. ****.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

BillyZoom wrote:
> On Jun 24, 11:54 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> Note that I am not recommending this stuff. I have had it. You don't
>> want it! But they still make it. I was at Winco foods today and saw
>> the Chef Boyardee sauce on the shelf and some other brand I've never
>> heard of, of boxed crust mix. I seem to remember that there was a
>> brand called Apian Way (sp?) that used to make the boxed stuff. Not
>> sure if they still do. But I looked it up and Chef Boyardee still
>> makes it. Here's a link:
>>
>> http://www.chefboyardee.com/products.jsp

> And your point is? Worthless. Dumb. ****.

Well... Someone said they hadn't heard of it. It was a female but I forget
who it was.

Why do you have such hostility issues? If you don't want to read what I
write, then just killfile me or don't read my posts!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 21:32:08 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>BillyZoom wrote:
>> On Jun 24, 11:54 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>> Note that I am not recommending this stuff. I have had it. You don't
>>> want it! But they still make it. I was at Winco foods today and saw
>>> the Chef Boyardee sauce on the shelf and some other brand I've never
>>> heard of, of boxed crust mix. I seem to remember that there was a
>>> brand called Apian Way (sp?) that used to make the boxed stuff. Not
>>> sure if they still do. But I looked it up and Chef Boyardee still
>>> makes it. Here's a link:
>>>
>>> http://www.chefboyardee.com/products.jsp

>> And your point is? Worthless. Dumb. ****.

>Well... Someone said they hadn't heard of it. It was a female but I forget
>who it was.

Bubba Zoo's slutty momma.

>Why do you have such hostility issues?

The Zoo Bubba is impotent, hasn't had an orgasm for like 20 years...
anyone would becum hostile.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> BillyZoom wrote:
>> On Jun 24, 11:54 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>> Note that I am not recommending this stuff. I have had it. You don't
>>> want it! But they still make it. I was at Winco foods today and saw
>>> the Chef Boyardee sauce on the shelf and some other brand I've never
>>> heard of, of boxed crust mix. I seem to remember that there was a
>>> brand called Apian Way (sp?) that used to make the boxed stuff. Not
>>> sure if they still do. But I looked it up and Chef Boyardee still
>>> makes it. Here's a link:
>>>
>>> http://www.chefboyardee.com/products.jsp

>> And your point is? Worthless. Dumb. ****.

> Well... Someone said they hadn't heard of it. It was a female but I
> forget who it was.
>
> Why do you have such hostility issues? If you don't want to read
> what I write, then just killfile me or don't read my posts!

Better yet, you just killfile him - that's what I just did. Responding
to any troll means they've won because they don't care what you say,
they just want your attention.

As to pizza to put together at home, a fine alternative to the kind
you're mentioning is going to the local pizza place and bringing home
some or all of the ingredients. We have regularly gone to pizza places,
asked for dough and then put on our own sauce, cheese, and toppings.
Getting dough, sauce, and cheese from the local pizza place, making your
own toppings, and having kids put it together makes a great birthday
party idea, especially on a rainy day. It's really just as easy as
picking up a box pizza at the grocery store.

Another fine alternative is pita or soft tortilla pizza - use whatever
flatbread sort of thing you keep around, put whatever sort of cheese
and/or sauce and/or other toppings on it, and bake it on the oven's
highest setting for a few minutes. Pita, cheddar cheese, and jar
tomatoe sauce makes a homemade pizza.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

back in the day it was cheap, not much taste but it filled me up, and as i
saidin another post, i soon figured out i could buy tinned biscuts, paste
and cheese seperately for much cheaper and have same/ better of same,

Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Note that I am not recommending this stuff. I have had it. You don't
> want it! But they still make it. I was at Winco foods today and saw the
> Chef Boyardee sauce on the shelf and some other brand I've never heard of,
> of boxed crust mix. I seem to remember that there was a brand called
> Apian Way (sp?) that used to make the boxed stuff. Not sure if they still
> do. But I looked it up and Chef Boyardee still makes it. Here's a link:
>
> http://www.chefboyardee.com/products.jsp

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> back in the day it was cheap, not much taste but it filled me up, and as i
> saidin another post, i soon figured out i could buy tinned biscuts, paste
> and cheese seperately for much cheaper and have same/ better of same,
>
> Lee
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Note that I am not recommending this stuff. I have had it. You don't
>> want it! But they still make it. I was at Winco foods today and saw the
>> Chef Boyardee sauce on the shelf and some other brand I've never heard
>> of, of boxed crust mix. I seem to remember that there was a brand called
>> Apian Way (sp?) that used to make the boxed stuff. Not sure if they
>> still do. But I looked it up and Chef Boyardee still makes it. Here's a
>> link:
>>
>> http://www.chefboyardee.com/products.jsp

I conducted a marathon sort of pizza class for our grandchildren and
whatever hungry friends they brought. The grands had thought that the
'only' pizza was take-out and I thought it was time for them to expand.
I showed them: from scratch, from box, from grocery packaged crust and
from the dairy case crust. Their favorite was the one from the dairy case;
coming in 2nd was the boyardee crust.
Seems to me that the next time I feed those empty young folks, I'll show
them 2 or maybe 3 ways to do lasagna. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 14:58:43 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

> I conducted a marathon sort of pizza class for our grandchildren and
> whatever hungry friends they brought. The grands had thought that the
> 'only' pizza was take-out and I thought it was time for them to expand.
> I showed them: from scratch, from box, from grocery packaged crust and
> from the dairy case crust. Their favorite was the one from the dairy case;
> coming in 2nd was the boyardee crust.
> Seems to me that the next time I feed those empty young folks, I'll show
> them 2 or maybe 3 ways to do lasagna. Polly

Lucky kids - you sound like a fun grandma!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

fine idea. knowing all the options allows for time money and creativity, i
would never ask for the boxed, but we have gotten it from hotel stores as an
option, because in the end its still better than some skimpy tv dinner at
three times the price.

Lee
"Polly Esther" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> back in the day it was cheap, not much taste but it filled me up, and as
>> i saidin another post, i soon figured out i could buy tinned biscuts,
>> paste and cheese seperately for much cheaper and have same/ better of
>> same,
>>
>> Lee
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>> Note that I am not recommending this stuff. I have had it. You don't
>>> want it! But they still make it. I was at Winco foods today and saw
>>> the Chef Boyardee sauce on the shelf and some other brand I've never
>>> heard of, of boxed crust mix. I seem to remember that there was a brand
>>> called Apian Way (sp?) that used to make the boxed stuff. Not sure if
>>> they still do. But I looked it up and Chef Boyardee still makes it.
>>> Here's a link:
>>>
>>> http://www.chefboyardee.com/products.jsp
>>>

> I conducted a marathon sort of pizza class for our grandchildren and
> whatever hungry friends they brought. The grands had thought that the
> 'only' pizza was take-out and I thought it was time for them to expand.
> I showed them: from scratch, from box, from grocery packaged crust and
> from the dairy case crust. Their favorite was the one from the dairy
> case; coming in 2nd was the boyardee crust.
> Seems to me that the next time I feed those empty young folks, I'll
> show them 2 or maybe 3 ways to do lasagna. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 24, 9:16*pm, BillyZoom > wrote:
> On Jun 24, 11:54*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
> > Note that I am not recommending this stuff. *I have had it. *You don't want
> > it! *But they still make it. *I was at Winco foods today and saw the Chef
> > Boyardee sauce on the shelf and some other brand I've never heard of, of
> > boxed crust mix. *I seem to remember that there was a brand called Apian Way
> > (sp?) that used to make the boxed stuff. *Not sure if they still do. *But I
> > looked it up and Chef Boyardee still makes it. *Here's a link:

> >http://www.chefboyardee.com/products.jsp

> And your point is? Worthless. Dumb. ****.

BillyZoom...what kind of asinine moniker is that, you dumb ass.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 14:59:19 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
> wrote:

>On Jun 24, 9:16*pm, BillyZoom > wrote:
>> On Jun 24, 11:54*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>
>> > Note that I am not recommending this stuff. *I have had it. *You don't want
>> > it! *But they still make it. *I was at Winco foods today and saw the Chef
>> > Boyardee sauce on the shelf and some other brand I've never heard of, of
>> > boxed crust mix. *I seem to remember that there was a brand called Apian Way
>> > (sp?) that used to make the boxed stuff. *Not sure if they still do. *But I
>> > looked it up and Chef Boyardee still makes it. *Here's a link:

>> >http://www.chefboyardee.com/products.jsp

>> And your point is? Worthless. Dumb. ****.

>BillyZoom...what kind of asinine moniker is that, you dumb ass.

Means he's got a 30 second fuse.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-06-25, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

>>On Jun 24, 9:16*pm, BillyZoom > wrote:

>>> And your point is? Worthless. Dumb. ****.

> Means he's got a 30 second fuse.

.....and a way with words.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 24, 8:54*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> Note that I am not recommending this stuff. *I have had it. *You don't want
> it! *But they still make it. *I was at Winco foods today and saw the Chef
> Boyardee sauce on the shelf and some other brand I've never heard of, of
> boxed crust mix. *I seem to remember that there was a brand called Apian Way
> (sp?) that used to make the boxed stuff. *Not sure if they still do. *But I
> looked it up and Chef Boyardee still makes it. *Here's a link:
>
> http://www.chefboyardee.com/products.jsp

Julie, thanks for posting this! Just the other night DH and I were
talking about retro food and the subject of boxed pizza mixes came up.
We hadn't seen them in years and wondered if they even still exist.
Both of us remember our stay-at-home moms making those Chef Boyardee
pizzas in the 1950's. This was before takeout pizza places were as
common (and affordable) as they are now. Boxed pizza mixes were
terrible, but we didn't know any better in those days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 24, 10:54*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> Note that I am not recommending this stuff. *I have had it. *You don't want
> it! *But they still make it. *I was at Winco foods today and saw the Chef
> Boyardee sauce on the shelf and some other brand I've never heard of, of
> boxed crust mix. *I seem to remember that there was a brand called Apian Way
> (sp?) that used to make the boxed stuff. *Not sure if they still do. *But I
> looked it up and Chef Boyardee still makes it. *Here's a link:
>
> http://www.chefboyardee.com/products.jsp

My God that stuff was awful. It was fun to help my mother make when I
was a kid, but it was never very fun to eat. The crust turned out
worse than any of the cardboardy frozen pizzas, and while those are
more or less crappy, they *are* fast and easy. This evening I was
busy painting the living room, and my son was happy with a frozen
Jack's pizza that cost $3.
The DiGiorno pizzas are pretty decent, especially the thin crust
type. While I'd prefer a NY style, fresh, yeasty, fairly thin but
with big ol' bubbles in the high gluten crust, I've never found a
frozen pizza with that crust. The thin crust pizzas here in St. Louis
tend to be made with slimy process cheese (Provel), and are far worse
than the better frozen thin crusts.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Storrmmee wrote:
> back in the day it was cheap, not much taste but it filled me up, and
> as i saidin another post, i soon figured out i could buy tinned
> biscuts, paste and cheese seperately for much cheaper and have same/
> better of same,

I never liked those canned biscuits but they were cheap! I can remember
getting them for 10 cents a can. Not sure how much they are these days.

I used to use frozen roll dough for quick mini pizzas. Or I would make a
biscuit dough crust (but only for taco pizza) or quicker still, English
muffins.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 21:04:26 -0700 (PDT), missussex
> wrote:

> Boxed pizza mixes were
> terrible, but we didn't know any better in those days.

I don't know about you, but for me - they were the only game in town
way back when.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 21:33:20 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

> My God that stuff was awful. It was fun to help my mother make when I
> was a kid, but it was never very fun to eat. The crust turned out
> worse than any of the cardboardy frozen pizzas

You were a spoiled brat then. When I was introduced to boxed pizza,
there were no frozen pizzas and certainly no fresh pizza from a pizza
parlors to be had where I lived.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> You were a spoiled brat then. When I was introduced to boxed pizza,
> there were no frozen pizzas and certainly no fresh pizza from a pizza
> parlors to be had where I lived.

Where did you live, that there wasn't even a Pizza Hut around?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 23:16:48 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> > You were a spoiled brat then. When I was introduced to boxed pizza,
> > there were no frozen pizzas and certainly no fresh pizza from a pizza
> > parlors to be had where I lived.

> Where did you live, that there wasn't even a Pizza Hut around?

You have to be kidding.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 21:04:26 -0700 (PDT), missussex
> > wrote:
>
>> Boxed pizza mixes were
>> terrible, but we didn't know any better in those days.

> I don't know about you, but for me - they were the only game in town
> way back when.

We never had those at home. We did occasionally have frozen ones when they
came out. And we went to Shakeys.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 21:33:20 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> > wrote:
>
>> My God that stuff was awful. It was fun to help my mother make when I
>> was a kid, but it was never very fun to eat. The crust turned out
>> worse than any of the cardboardy frozen pizzas

> You were a spoiled brat then. When I was introduced to boxed pizza,
> there were no frozen pizzas and certainly no fresh pizza from a pizza
> parlors to be had where I lived.

But that doesn't mean it was good!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 23:16:48 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>>
>> > You were a spoiled brat then. When I was introduced to boxed pizza,
>> > there were no frozen pizzas and certainly no fresh pizza from a pizza
>> > parlors to be had where I lived.

>> Where did you live, that there wasn't even a Pizza Hut around?
>>

> You have to be kidding.

How old are you? I'll be 52 soon, real soon and there were Shakeys in
Wichita where I lived until I was 8. Not sure if there were other pizza
places. That's where we ate. Moved to WA and there were a lot more pizza
places. Oddly not a large Italian population here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>>> You were a spoiled brat then. When I was introduced to boxed pizza,
>>> there were no frozen pizzas and certainly no fresh pizza from a pizza
>>> parlors to be had where I lived.

>> Where did you live, that there wasn't even a Pizza Hut around?
>>

> You have to be kidding.

No, I wasn't kidding. Where did you live when you were introduced to boxed
pizzas?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 23:25:22 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 21:33:20 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> My God that stuff was awful. It was fun to help my mother make when I
> >> was a kid, but it was never very fun to eat. The crust turned out
> >> worse than any of the cardboardy frozen pizzas

> > You were a spoiled brat then. When I was introduced to boxed pizza,
> > there were no frozen pizzas and certainly no fresh pizza from a pizza
> > parlors to be had where I lived.

> But that doesn't mean it was good!

You don't like anything anyway. I, on the other hand, didn't know
what real pizza tasted like and since I didn't have anything to
compare it to - I thought that boxed pizza was good. It was easy to
make and that was a plus too. Once I had a choice - I didn't go back
to boxed. but it wasn't because I hated boxed - it was because
ordering pizza was easier.

Since we're talking about it, I think I'll buy a box and try it again.
I haven't seen it on the shelves in decades; but I haven't looked for
it. <shrug>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 23:26:50 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 23:16:48 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > > wrote:

> >> Where did you live, that there wasn't even a Pizza Hut around?
> >>

> > You have to be kidding.

> How old are you? I'll be 52 soon, real soon and there were Shakeys in
> Wichita where I lived until I was 8. Not sure if there were other pizza
> places. That's where we ate. Moved to WA and there were a lot more pizza
> places. Oddly not a large Italian population here.

You lived in a big city. I lived in the back woods.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 23:29:34 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> Where did you live when you were introduced to boxed pizzas?

I'll Facebook the information to you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 23:25:22 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 21:33:20 -0700 (PDT), Bryan

>> > You were a spoiled brat then. When I was introduced to boxed pizza,
>> > there were no frozen pizzas and certainly no fresh pizza from a pizza
>> > parlors to be had where I lived.

>> But that doesn't mean it was good!
>>

> You don't like anything anyway. I, on the other hand, didn't know
> what real pizza tasted like and since I didn't have anything to
> compare it to - I thought that boxed pizza was good. It was easy to
> make and that was a plus too. Once I had a choice - I didn't go back
> to boxed. but it wasn't because I hated boxed - it was because
> ordering pizza was easier.

I don't like anything? Did you not see my post about beets? I LOVE beets!
And a whole lot of other foods!

> Since we're talking about it, I think I'll buy a box and try it again.
> I haven't seen it on the shelves in decades; but I haven't looked for
> it. <shrug>

You go right ahead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
b.com...

>>> Where did you live, that there wasn't even a Pizza Hut around?
>>>

>> You have to be kidding.

> No, I wasn't kidding. Where did you live when you were introduced to boxed
> pizzas?

I should think if they could get boxed mix there were pizza places. She
probably didn't know about chili in restaurants or that San Francisco has
"all you can eat" places, or Boca burgers...or...or...or... Well she seems
to live in a bubble.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 23:22:28 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 23:16:48 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>>
>> > You were a spoiled brat then. When I was introduced to boxed pizza,
>> > there were no frozen pizzas and certainly no fresh pizza from a pizza
>> > parlors to be had where I lived.

>> Where did you live, that there wasn't even a Pizza Hut around?
>>

>You have to be kidding.

The closest pizza hut here is 15 miles down the road... there is no
way I can get it home other than cold, and even eaten there it's not
very good, certainly not worth $12 for pizza for one... last time I
had to wait 45 minutes to be served by some unhappy ****, and she
brought the wrong toppings. For the past couple three years I no
longer go to any pizzarias, their product has greatly deteriorated but
their prices have risen astronomically. So, I keep an assortment of
frozen pizza, can't beat the convenience and these days it's improved
so that it's better than pizzaria pie. I happen to prefer the rising
crust versions... and I can add whatevr extra toppings I want and I
can cook it to the exact doneness I prefer (I like well done/"high
brown"), but the best part is I can decide on pizza at any time day or
night and be eating in 45 minutes from lighting my oven, and I get to
eat it piping hot. I think Di Giorno and Freschetta are the best.
They're almost always on sale for about $6 and if you go to their web
sites you can print out $1 off coupons... best $5 pizza on the planet.
About the only improvements I make is to add some coarse ground black
pepper, a few pinches of Penzeys Italian herb blend, and some grated
parm... last time I remembered I had a hunk of smoked provolone so
grated on a pile of that, scrumptious. And there are so many choices
of crust styles and toppings that it definitely doesn't pay to make
ones own from scratch anymore unless you can't think of a better way
to entertain rugrats... the days of cardboard frozen pizza are long
gone. And another thing I like about frozen pizza is that it's
machine made, *robotically*, hermetically sealed in plastic and boxed,
not handled by unwashed crotch picking pimply faced illegal alien
mental defectives.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" wrote in message

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 21:32:08 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>BillyZoom wrote:
>> On Jun 24, 11:54 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>> Note that I am not recommending this stuff. I have had it. You don't
>>> want it! But they still make it. I was at Winco foods today and saw
>>> the Chef Boyardee sauce on the shelf and some other brand I've never
>>> heard of, of boxed crust mix. I seem to remember that there was a
>>> brand called Apian Way (sp?) that used to make the boxed stuff. Not
>>> sure if they still do. But I looked it up and Chef Boyardee still
>>> makes it. Here's a link:
>>>
>>> http://www.chefboyardee.com/products.jsp

>> And your point is? Worthless. Dumb. ****.

>Well... Someone said they hadn't heard of it. It was a female but I
>forget
>who it was.

>Bubba Zoo's slutty momma.

>Why do you have such hostility issues?

>The Zoo Bubba is impotent, hasn't had an orgasm for like 20 years...
>anyone would becum hostile.

So I assume you are one of the Assholes who create enemies where none
existed? You seem like a mighty keyboard warrior, you Dumb ****.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 23:36:12 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 23:25:22 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 21:33:20 -0700 (PDT), Bryan

>> > You were a spoiled brat then. When I was introduced to boxed pizza,
>> > there were no frozen pizzas and certainly no fresh pizza from a pizza
>> > parlors to be had where I lived.

>> But that doesn't mean it was good!
>>

>You don't like anything anyway. I, on the other hand, didn't know
>what real pizza tasted like and since I didn't have anything to
>compare it to - I thought that boxed pizza was good. It was easy to
>make and that was a plus too. Once I had a choice - I didn't go back
>to boxed. but it wasn't because I hated boxed - it was because
>ordering pizza was easier.
>
>Since we're talking about it, I think I'll buy a box and try it again.
>I haven't seen it on the shelves in decades; but I haven't looked for
>it. <shrug>

How could you miss it, the most freezer space at the market is devoted
to pizza, even more than spuds now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 22:31:40 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Storrmmee wrote:
>> back in the day it was cheap, not much taste but it filled me up, and
>> as i saidin another post, i soon figured out i could buy tinned
>> biscuts, paste and cheese seperately for much cheaper and have same/
>> better of same,

>I never liked those canned biscuits but they were cheap! I can remember
>getting them for 10 cents a can. Not sure how much they are these days.
>
>I used to use frozen roll dough for quick mini pizzas. Or I would make a
>biscuit dough crust (but only for taco pizza) or quicker still, English
>muffins.

You mean you never nuked a paper plate of Ritz crackers topped with
ketchup and Velveeta?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 23:16:48 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>
>> You were a spoiled brat then. When I was introduced to boxed pizza,
>> there were no frozen pizzas and certainly no fresh pizza from a pizza
>> parlors to be had where I lived.

>Where did you live, that there wasn't even a Pizza Hut around?
>
>Bob

Pizza Hut didn't show as a new-born chain until the late '60s. My
neighbor knew the brothers from back home and came out here to open a
PH and became very, very wealthy by ever expanding.
Box pizza was at least 15 years earlier. No pizza joints in towns
across the US. You had to go to the big cities to find Italian and
Chinese restaurants. Then Kresge (sp? a 5 and dime) got into the act
and sold pizza by the slice. They put it up there one slice at a time
in the case just like they displayed pie.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 23:06:08 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 21:04:26 -0700 (PDT), missussex
> wrote:
>
>> Boxed pizza mixes were
>> terrible, but we didn't know any better in those days.

>I don't know about you, but for me - they were the only game in town
>way back when.

I never heard of those boxed pizza kits until this thread... I don't
remember ever seeing such a thing... now I know where you grew up, in
another galaxy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 09:07:29 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
snip

>I never heard of those boxed pizza kits until this thread... I don't
>remember ever seeing such a thing... now I know where you grew up, in
>another galaxy.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+kit&x=17&y=18
or
http://tinyurl.com/3bbfbmo

Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> No, I wasn't kidding. Where did you live when you were introduced to boxed
> pizzas?
>
> Bob

She's said before she grew up in Michigan.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-06-26, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> eat it piping hot. I think Di Giorno and Freschetta are the best.

When it first came out, many yrs ago, Di Giorno was a revelation.
Tasted great, better than most pizza chains, and at half the price.
Since then, they've done like most other products and reduced the
quality to no better than eating the box. Freschetta has taken a
different reduction tack. They make each pizza with a dry, no
content edge, the size of a 4WD tire! Any Freshy pizza still tastes
great, but you only get 55-60% of the actual pie with anything but
bare bread crust.

I've given up on store bought. OTOH, local chains, or even indies,
pretty much suck, the one exception being a local microbrewery/pizza
place. Great Hawaiian/rootbeer sauce pizza, but $10 fer single
serving pie. I'm gonna start making my own, again, despite the high
price of cheese and meat toppings.

The best pizza I ever tasted was from a couple of Iranian brothers.
Simple. Thin crust, sauce, fresh crushed garlic, and feta cheese. I
long to duplicate it.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-06-26, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> You mean you never nuked a paper plate of Ritz crackers topped with
> ketchup and Velveeta?

Not even in my worst nightmares.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-06-26, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> I never heard of those boxed pizza kits until this thread... I don't
> remember ever seeing such a thing... now I know where you grew up, in
> another galaxy.

I remember them. Had my first when I was about 9 yrs old. Made by a
beloved neighbor's mom. The most striking memory was the smell.
Smelled like someone jes blew chunks all over the kitchen. No
kidding! The smell of barf was so overwhelming, I almost did same.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 09:07:29 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 23:06:08 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 21:04:26 -0700 (PDT), missussex
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Boxed pizza mixes were
> >> terrible, but we didn't know any better in those days.

> >I don't know about you, but for me - they were the only game in town
> >way back when.

> I never heard of those boxed pizza kits until this thread... I don't
> remember ever seeing such a thing... now I know where you grew up, in
> another galaxy.

Compared to New York City, it was another galaxy.

Boxed Cake Mix Better Than From Scratch ??? Mark Thorson General Cooking 58 04-04-2011 08:28 AM
Boxed Cake Mix Better Than From Scratch ??? Julie Bove[_2_] Baking 1 22-03-2011 10:36 PM
substitute for a boxed mix component... [email protected] Baking 2 18-09-2006 08:07 AM
Decent Boxed Wines?? Steve B. Wine 14 07-02-2004 09:13 AM
Boxed wines redux D. Gerasimatos Wine 6 02-10-2003 02:50 PM