Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Childrens food in LA schools.

In the recent U.K. television series Jamie Oliver attempts to gain access to
LA's schools kitchens, to help them rustle up some cost effective yet
nutritious food for the children, as he did with the schools in the U.K.

LA's school board seemed dead set against him making any headway with this
project, and barred his participation.

I can't understand the board's motivation. Why would take this line? Since
you would think they would have the interests of the kids at heart, helping
them with their diet.

What could be their motivation in stopping this nutrition project, I wonder?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 May 2011 15:37:54 +0100, "john ryan"
> wrote:

>In the recent U.K. television series Jamie Oliver attempts to gain access to
>LA's schools kitchens, to help them rustle up some cost effective yet
>nutritious food for the children, as he did with the schools in the U.K.
>
>LA's school board seemed dead set against him making any headway with this
>project, and barred his participation.
>
>I can't understand the board's motivation. Why would take this line? Since
>you would think they would have the interests of the kids at heart, helping
>them with their diet.
>
>What could be their motivation in stopping this nutrition project, I wonder?

Most cooks know next to nothing about nutrition... Jamie Oliver can
hardly be called a cook, he's a TV personality, and quite boring. And
since when did the UK produce any cooks, they don't even have a
cuisine... fried fish w/potatoes and cucumber sammys ain't cuisine. Do
you really think the kids in LA are going to fress spotted dick?
Kids don't get fat on school lunches anyway, in fact the best way to
lose weight is on a diet solely of school lunches, most keds would
rather fast. Kids get fat from eating at home and at fast food
joints. Yoose want healthy kids, feed them two hours of forced
gymnasium every day. Yoose won't see any fatties hangin' at the
basketball courts.... the fatties are all indoors at their PC, ten
feet from the fridge, while watching Jamie Oliver trash.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 28, 9:39*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Sat, 28 May 2011 15:37:54 +0100, "john ryan"
>
> > wrote:
> >In the recent U.K. television series Jamie Oliver attempts to gain access to
> >LA's schools kitchens, to help them rustle up some cost effective yet
> >nutritious food for the children, as he did with the schools in the U.K.

> >LA's school board seemed dead set against him making any headway with this
> >project, and barred his participation.

> >I can't understand the board's motivation. Why would take this line? Since
> >you would think they would have the interests of the kids at heart, helping
> >them with their diet.

> >What could be their motivation in stopping this nutrition project, I wonder?

> Most cooks know next to nothing about nutrition... Jamie Oliver can
> hardly be called a cook, he's a TV personality, and quite boring. *And
> since when did the UK produce any cooks, they don't even have a
> cuisine... fried fish w/potatoes and cucumber sammys ain't cuisine. Do
> you really think the kids in LA are going to fress spotted dick? *
> Kids don't get fat on school lunches anyway, in fact the best way to
> lose weight is on a diet solely of school lunches, most keds would
> rather fast. *Kids get fat from eating at home and at fast food
> joints. *Yoose want healthy kids, feed them two hours of forced
> gymnasium every day. *Yoose won't see any fatties hangin' at the
> basketball courts.... the fatties are all indoors at their PC, ten
> feet from the fridge, while watching Jamie Oliver trash.

==
Not to mention that James Oliver is a furriner who has no freakin
business in the kitchens of any school other than the ones in his own
freakin country. He's just after headlines...tell him to **** off.
==
Posted to rec.food.cooking

john ryan wrote:
> In the recent U.K. television series Jamie Oliver attempts to gain
> access to LA's schools kitchens, to help them rustle up some cost
> effective yet nutritious food for the children, as he did with the
> schools in the U.K.
>
> LA's school board seemed dead set against him making any headway with
> this project, and barred his participation.
>
> I can't understand the board's motivation. Why would take this line?
> Since you would think they would have the interests of the kids at
> heart, helping them with their diet.
>
> What could be their motivation in stopping this nutrition project, I
> wonder?

The main guy blocking them seems like the biggest jerk in the world,
but the fact is, any time you involve the media, you take a big chance
on coming off looking bad. If the school is interested in improving the
nutrition of their menus, they don't need to be on tv to accomplish that.

All you have to do is see the show he did in England and in WV to see
how you can look bad while trying to make everyone happy.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 28, 9:37*am, "john ryan" > wrote:
> In the recent U.K. television series Jamie Oliver attempts to gain access to
> LA's schools kitchens, to help them rustle up some cost effective yet
> nutritious food for the children, as he did with the schools in the U.K.
>
> LA's school board seemed dead set against him making any headway with this
> project, and barred his participation.
>
> I can't understand the board's motivation. Why would take this line? Since
> you would think they would have the interests of the kids at heart, helping
> them with their diet.
>
> What could be their motivation in stopping this nutrition project, I wonder?

Well, I think the city is pretty much on a shoe-string and didn't need
some English ****** coming around trying to shake up their budget.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 28, 10:39*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Sat, 28 May 2011 15:37:54 +0100, "john ryan"
>
> > wrote:
> >In the recent U.K. television series Jamie Oliver attempts to gain access to
> >LA's schools kitchens, to help them rustle up some cost effective yet
> >nutritious food for the children, as he did with the schools in the U.K.

> >LA's school board seemed dead set against him making any headway with this
> >project, and barred his participation.

> >I can't understand the board's motivation. Why would take this line? Since
> >you would think they would have the interests of the kids at heart, helping
> >them with their diet.

> >What could be their motivation in stopping this nutrition project, I wonder?

> Most cooks know next to nothing about nutrition... Jamie Oliver can
> hardly be called a cook, he's a TV personality, and quite boring. *And
> since when did the UK produce any cooks, they don't even have a
> cuisine... fried fish w/potatoes and cucumber sammys ain't cuisine. Do
> you really think the kids in LA are going to fress spotted dick? *
> Kids don't get fat on school lunches anyway, in fact the best way to
> lose weight is on a diet solely of school lunches, most keds would
> rather fast. *Kids get fat from eating at home and at fast food
> joints. *Yoose want healthy kids, feed them two hours of forced
> gymnasium every day. *Yoose won't see any fatties hangin' at the
> basketball courts.... the fatties are all indoors at their PC, ten
> feet from the fridge, while watching Jamie Oliver trash.

True all that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 28, 11:42*am, projectile vomit chick
> wrote:
> On May 28, 9:37*am, "john ryan" > wrote:
>
> > In the recent U.K. television series Jamie Oliver attempts to gain access to
> > LA's schools kitchens, to help them rustle up some cost effective yet
> > nutritious food for the children, as he did with the schools in the U.K..

> > LA's school board seemed dead set against him making any headway with this
> > project, and barred his participation.

> > I can't understand the board's motivation. Why would take this line? Since
> > you would think they would have the interests of the kids at heart, helping
> > them with their diet.

> > What could be their motivation in stopping this nutrition project, I wonder?

> Well, I think the city is pretty much on a shoe-string and didn't need
> some English ****** coming around trying to shake up their budget.

BS. The city contracts out to the lowest bidder on providing the food.
Usually the winning bid goes to someone who knows someone in city
government. Despite being a big city, it's still a good ole boy
network.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> The English version of the show made J.O unpopular initially but that
> tide has now turned completely the other way. Following the school dinners
> series a quarter of a million people successfully petitioned the UK govt
> on school nutrition, and research has shown the benefit to pupils.

Sounds like a good reason for the LA school management
to want to keep him the hell away from their schools.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 May 2011 15:37:54 +0100, "john ryan"
> wrote:

> In the recent U.K. television series Jamie Oliver attempts to gain access to
> LA's schools kitchens, to help them rustle up some cost effective yet
> nutritious food for the children, as he did with the schools in the U.K.
>
> LA's school board seemed dead set against him making any headway with this
> project, and barred his participation.
>
> I can't understand the board's motivation. Why would take this line? Since
> you would think they would have the interests of the kids at heart, helping
> them with their diet.
>
> What could be their motivation in stopping this nutrition project, I wonder?

Money. Raising food and preparing it from scratch is labor intensive
and requires a modicum of skill. They want meals to heat and eat, so
they can hire anyone off the street as cheaply as possible to turn on
the ovens and hand out the meals. IWO idiot proof and not subject to
local weather conditions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo the Clown > wrote in

> BS. The city contracts out to the lowest bidder on providing
> the food. Usually the winning bid goes to someone who knows
> someone in city government. Despite being a big city, it's
> still a good ole boy network.

The government running as usual.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" <> It's called the White House Office of Management and Budget.
These
> are the same people who wanted to declare ketchup a vegetable so they
> could withdraw a serving of actual vegetables and save a billion
> dollars a year.
>
> -sw

We've heard until our ears are about to fall off that the reason
children are obese is because nutritional food is unavailable. Now really?
I'm waiting to learn what nutritional food is unavailable. Our remote area
has little grocery stores - none of that super stuff - but there is no lack
of Cheerio's, bananas, milk, vegetables, eggs, decent bread or peanut
butter, etc. I suspect that mama is unavailable and Big Mama is watching
'As the Stomach Turns'.
Sorry. That stupid excuse really gets my dander up. Actually, I don't
even know what a dander is or if I have one but I am sick to death of just
plain laziness. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Sat, 28 May 2011 15:37:54 +0100, "john ryan"
> > wrote:
>
>>In the recent U.K. television series Jamie Oliver attempts to gain access
>>LA's schools kitchens, to help them rustle up some cost effective yet
>>nutritious food for the children, as he did with the schools in the U.K.
>>
>>LA's school board seemed dead set against him making any headway with this
>>project, and barred his participation.
>>
>>I can't understand the board's motivation. Why would take this line? Since
>>you would think they would have the interests of the kids at heart,
>>helping
>>them with their diet.
>>
>>What could be their motivation in stopping this nutrition project, I
>>wonder?

> Most cooks know next to nothing about nutrition... Jamie Oliver can
> hardly be called a cook, he's a TV personality, and quite boring. And
> since when did the UK produce any cooks, they don't even have a
> cuisine... fried fish w/potatoes and cucumber sammys ain't cuisine. Do
> you really think the kids in LA are going to fress spotted dick?
> Kids don't get fat on school lunches anyway, in fact the best way to
> lose weight is on a diet solely of school lunches, most keds would
> rather fast. Kids get fat from eating at home and at fast food
> joints. Yoose want healthy kids, feed them two hours of forced
> gymnasium every day. Yoose won't see any fatties hangin' at the
> basketball courts.... the fatties are all indoors at their PC, ten
> feet from the fridge, while watching Jamie Oliver trash.

My daughter hasn't bought a lunch since the 1st grade. I did see those
lunches and there was very little in them. One day it looked like Chef
Boyardee ravioli. There were two. Two! That's it. Little dab of salad
and I think a cup of applesauce. The kids ate lunch in like 2 minutes.

What is bad though are all the silly parties they have with unlimited
treats. Here there are about 30 kids per class. Less in younger grades and
more in higher grades. A goodly portion of those kids will have a birthday
sometime during the school year and some teachers allow the kids with summer
birthdays to bring in treats. Often it is a full sized candy bar, cupcake
(often from Costco) or a big cookie. Then there are at least two pizza
parties. Usually an ice cream party. Maybe a root beer float party or
three. One of her teachers loved those. Popcorn Fridays. And then all the
candies handed out as treats for good behavior and used in math assignments.
Not good! Not good at all. And I didn't even mention the holidays.

When I was in school we had a few holiday parties and we maybe got a little
cup of candy or a cookie that somebody's mom baked. I don't recall anyone
bringing in treats for their own birthday. There as a decorated paper crown
and we all sang to the kid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 28, 2:24*pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> Janet wrote:
> > says...

> >> The main guy blocking them seems like the biggest jerk in the world,
> >> but the fact is, any time you involve the media, you take a big
> >> chance on coming off looking bad. *If the school is interested in
> >> improving the nutrition of their menus, they don't need to be on tv
> >> to accomplish that.

> >> All you have to do is see the show he did in England and in WV to see
> >> how you can look bad while trying to make everyone happy.

> > *The English version of the show made J.O unpopular initially but that
> > tide has now turned completely the other way. Following the school
> > dinners series a quarter of a million people successfully petitioned
> > the UK govt on school nutrition, and research has shown the benefit
> > to pupils.

> > *http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...oliver-school-
> > dinners-meals

> Cool. *It's a shame the show's been cancelled as I found it interesting and
> a worthwhile project. *

I really enjoyed his show about the *degenerate youths* and how he
turned them into a working restaurant.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 28, 3:07*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sat, 28 May 2011 15:37:54 +0100, john ryan wrote:
> > I can't understand the board's motivation. Why would take this line? Since
> > you would think they would have the interests of the kids at heart, helping
> > them with their diet.

> > What could be their motivation in stopping this nutrition project, I wonder?

> It's called the White House Office of Management and Budget. *These
> are the same people who wanted to declare ketchup a vegetable so they
> could withdraw a serving of actual vegetables and save a billion
> dollars a year.

He

http://www.xmission.com/~daina/images/bb/cyclo_bg.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 29, 4:35*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message

> > On Sat, 28 May 2011 15:37:54 +0100, "john ryan"
> > > wrote:

> >>In the recent U.K. television series Jamie Oliver attempts to gain access
> >>LA's schools kitchens, to help them rustle up some cost effective yet
> >>nutritious food for the children, as he did with the schools in the U.K..

> >>LA's school board seemed dead set against him making any headway with this
> >>project, and barred his participation.

> >>I can't understand the board's motivation. Why would take this line? Since
> >>you would think they would have the interests of the kids at heart,
> >>helping
> >>them with their diet.

> >>What could be their motivation in stopping this nutrition project, I
> >>wonder?

> > Most cooks know next to nothing about nutrition... Jamie Oliver can
> > hardly be called a cook, he's a TV personality, and quite boring. *And
> > since when did the UK produce any cooks, they don't even have a
> > cuisine... fried fish w/potatoes and cucumber sammys ain't cuisine. Do
> > you really think the kids in LA are going to fress spotted dick?
> > Kids don't get fat on school lunches anyway, in fact the best way to
> > lose weight is on a diet solely of school lunches, most keds would
> > rather fast. *Kids get fat from eating at home and at fast food
> > joints. *Yoose want healthy kids, feed them two hours of forced
> > gymnasium every day. *Yoose won't see any fatties hangin' at the
> > basketball courts.... the fatties are all indoors at their PC, ten
> > feet from the fridge, while watching Jamie Oliver trash.

> My daughter hasn't bought a lunch since the 1st grade. *I did see those
> lunches and there was very little in them. *One day it looked like Chef
> Boyardee ravioli. *There were two. *Two! *That's it. *Little dab of salad
> and I think a cup of applesauce. *The kids ate lunch in like 2 minutes.
>
> What is bad though are all the silly parties they have with unlimited
> treats. *Here there are about 30 kids per class. *Less in younger grades and
> more in higher grades. *A goodly portion of those kids will have a birthday
> sometime during the school year and some teachers allow the kids with summer
> birthdays to bring in treats. *Often it is a full sized candy bar, cupcake
> (often from Costco) or a big cookie. *Then there are at least two pizza
> parties. *Usually an ice cream party. *Maybe a root beer float party or
> three. *One of her teachers loved those. *Popcorn Fridays. *And then all the
> candies handed out as treats for good behavior and used in math assignments.
> Not good! *Not good at all. *And I didn't even mention the holidays.
>
> When I was in school we had a few holiday parties and we maybe got a little
> cup of candy or a cookie that somebody's mom baked. *I don't recall anyone
> bringing in treats for their own birthday. *There as a decorated paper crown
> and we all sang to the kid.

Entitled bitch. I'm sure you all turned down that free or reduced
price food because you all are so allergic and psychotic about food.

**** you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-05-28, john ryan > wrote:

> What could be their motivation in stopping this nutrition project, I wonder?

Greed