Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Query: Krispy Kreme bread pudding recipe

Paula Deen passed along this recipe, which uses donuts instead of
bread. I won't put it here, because it's easy enough to Google, but
I'm hoping someone who reads this has actually made it.

Several online version of this recipe--including Deen's at the Food
Network--call for two 4.5-ounce cans of fruit cocktail, and of course
there's no such thing. Anybody know what the correct amount is?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 06:19:17 -0700 (PDT), J >
wrote:

>Paula Deen passed along this recipe, which uses donuts instead of
>bread. I won't put it here, because it's easy enough to Google, but
>I'm hoping someone who reads this has actually made it.
>
>Several online version of this recipe--including Deen's at the Food
>Network--call for two 4.5-ounce cans of fruit cocktail, and of course
>there's no such thing. Anybody know what the correct amount is?

The single-serve, pull-top cans are now 4 oz. They may have been 4.5
oz in the past, but now the "50 calorie" part is what gets pushed as
an attribute to consumers.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"J" > wrote in message
> Several online version of this recipe--including Deen's at the Food
> Network--call for two 4.5-ounce cans of fruit cocktail, and of course
> there's no such thing. Anybody know what the correct amount is?

What do you mean there's no such thing as canned fruit cocktail? Have you
*looked*?! It's a blend of fruits cut pieces of fruit. Used to be sold
exclusively in heavy syrup but in the last 20 years they started packing it
in juice. Del Monte is one brand right off the top of my head.

And no, sorry, I have no idea what amounts because I don't pay much
attention to Paula Deen or the Food Network.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 26, 12:01*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "J" > wrote in message

> > Several online version of this recipe--including Deen's at the Food
> > Network--call for two 4.5-ounce cans of fruit cocktail, and of course
> > there's no such thing. Anybody know what the correct amount is?

> What do you mean there's no such thing as canned fruit cocktail? *Have you
> *looked*?! *It's a blend of fruits cut pieces of fruit. *Used to be sold
> exclusively in heavy syrup but in the last 20 years they started packing it
> in juice. *Del Monte is one brand right off the top of my head.
>
> And no, sorry, I have no idea what amounts because I don't pay much
> attention to Paula Deen or the Food Network.
>
> Jill

omg are you really that stupid Jill? Did you fail reading
comprehension? or are you just all liquored up today and feeling extra
bitchy and argumentative?
Of course fruit cocktail exists, you moron! They were referring to the
size of the cans that is called for in the recipe!

at any rate, I doubt an exact measurement of fruit cocktail is
critical. If you can get close to 9 oz (give or take an oz) I'm sure
you'll be fine. I haven't read the recipe but it would seem
(intuitively. You remember what that is, Jill, don't you? THINKING
SOMETHING THROUGH before saying something that makes you look like a
complete idiot) that the fruit is really more of a secondary player.
The balance between bread/donuts whatever and the custard ingredients
need to be precise. Losing an oz of canned fruit isn't going to ruin
the recipe.

It's not the sort of thing I would make anyway--canned fruit cocktail,
and stale donuts? not my taste. But I'm certain if one would enjoy
such a thing, Paula's recipe for it would be the one to make. When it
comes to desserts, butter and cream are what makes it good, and she
uses more than her share of both!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Paula Deen passed along this recipe, which uses donuts instead of
> bread. I won't put it here, because it's easy enough to Google, but
> I'm hoping someone who reads this has actually made it.
>
> Several online version of this recipe--including Deen's at the Food
> Network--call for two 4.5-ounce cans of fruit cocktail, and of course
> there's no such thing. Anybody know what the correct amount is?

Not me. There are very few Paula Deen recipes that sound like
something I'd want to try and that's one of them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 06:19:17 -0700 (PDT), J >
> wrote:
>
>> Paula Deen passed along this recipe, which uses donuts instead of
>> bread. I won't put it here, because it's easy enough to Google, but
>> I'm hoping someone who reads this has actually made it.
>>
>> Several online version of this recipe--including Deen's at the Food
>> Network--call for two 4.5-ounce cans of fruit cocktail, and of course
>> there's no such thing. Anybody know what the correct amount is?

> Not me. There are very few Paula Deen recipes that sound like
> something I'd want to try and that's one of them.

I actually tried one of her recipes for fudge. Dismally failed as it was
written. Luckily I have made enough candy in my life that I was able to get
an edible product out of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 12:01:26 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"J" > wrote in message
>> Several online version of this recipe--including Deen's at the Food
>> Network--call for two 4.5-ounce cans of fruit cocktail, and of course
>> there's no such thing. Anybody know what the correct amount is?

>What do you mean there's no such thing as canned fruit cocktail? Have you
>*looked*?! It's a blend of fruits cut pieces of fruit.

Seems Jay was asking about the amount; 4.5 oz cans? I've never bought
any canned fruits/veggies in those tiny cans but I'd think they're 8
ounces. I'm no math major but two 4.5 ounce tins equal 9 ounces...
seems to me one of the next size up tins would do the trick... I have
a 15 ounce tin of Walmart fruit cocktail with extra cherries... if a
wee bit too much be generous, or cook's treat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/26/2011 1:10 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 06:19:17 -0700 (PDT), >
> wrote:
>
>> Paula Deen passed along this recipe, which uses donuts instead of
>> bread. I won't put it here, because it's easy enough to Google, but
>> I'm hoping someone who reads this has actually made it.
>>
>> Several online version of this recipe--including Deen's at the Food
>> Network--call for two 4.5-ounce cans of fruit cocktail, and of course
>> there's no such thing. Anybody know what the correct amount is?

> Not me. There are very few Paula Deen recipes that sound like
> something I'd want to try and that's one of them.

I agree. If I ate what Paula Deen cooks, I'd be as fluffy as Paula Deen
and I value my life and my health too much to experiment with her
cuisine. I did find her entertaining for a while, but the gratuitous
"y'all's" got too annoying/cloying.

In her early Food Network Life, she had some interesting Low Country
recipes.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 12:01:26 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>

>>"J" > wrote in message
>>> Several online version of this recipe--including Deen's at the Food
>>> Network--call for two 4.5-ounce cans of fruit cocktail, and of course
>>> there's no such thing. Anybody know what the correct amount is?

>>What do you mean there's no such thing as canned fruit cocktail? Have you
>>*looked*?! It's a blend of fruits cut pieces of fruit.

> Seems Jay was asking about the amount; 4.5 oz cans? I've never bought
> any canned fruits/veggies in those tiny cans but I'd think they're 8
> ounces. I'm no math major but two 4.5 ounce tins equal 9 ounces...
> seems to me one of the next size up tins would do the trick... I have
> a 15 ounce tin of Walmart fruit cocktail with extra cherries... if a
> wee bit too much be generous, or cook's treat.

Ah, it was the *size* he was complaining about? Thanks for the
clarification. Seems to me they make individual snack-pack size cans. I
have no idea what size they are, though.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 14:18:13 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> I agree. If I ate what Paula Deen cooks, I'd be as fluffy as Paula Deen
> and I value my life and my health too much to experiment with her
> cuisine. I did find her entertaining for a while, but the gratuitous
> "y'all's" got too annoying/cloying.

I know, I can't stand that either! Mainly I just have her on as
background noise and don't hesitate to flip the channel. There are
maybe two of her recipes that I've made. One is the cinnamon roll
recipe, a definite keeper (but not meant for more than once a year)
and the other one has completely slipped my mind.

Searching recipes... looks like I've made her Grilled Peach salad or a
variation and her Almond Chicken Salad is one to try... I have quite a
few saved recipes that won't kill you, but think of Paula and you
think about butter and other fats first.

> In her early Food Network Life, she had some interesting Low Country
> recipes.

Was that around the time that Justin Wilson was on PBS? My city
wasn't even wired for cable at that point.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 26, 3:18*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> I agree. If I ate what Paula Deen cooks, I'd be as fluffy as Paula Deen
> and I value my life and my health too much to experiment with her
> cuisine. *I did find her entertaining for a while, but the gratuitous
> "y'all's" got too annoying/cloying.

I haven't even mentioned the butter rum sauce that goes with the bread
pudding! <g> This is not something I plan to make on a regular
basis, but as a treat for a group occasion. All the other specified
ingredients were right there on the supermarket shelf--that's why I
suspect this is a mistake.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"J" wrote in message

Paula Deen passed along this recipe, which uses donuts instead of
bread. I won't put it here, because it's easy enough to Google, but
I'm hoping someone who reads this has actually made it.

Several online version of this recipe--including Deen's at the Food
Network--call for two 4.5-ounce cans of fruit cocktail, and of course
there's no such thing. Anybody know what the correct amount is?

I made it one Thanksgiving because my daughter in law likes bread pudding
and wanted to try it. There were lots of other desserts too. It was good. I
don't care much for donuts or bread pudding `but she liked it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 15:05:45 -0700 (PDT), J >
wrote:

> On Mar 26, 3:18*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> >
> > I agree. If I ate what Paula Deen cooks, I'd be as fluffy as Paula Deen
> > and I value my life and my health too much to experiment with her
> > cuisine. *I did find her entertaining for a while, but the gratuitous
> > "y'all's" got too annoying/cloying.

> I haven't even mentioned the butter rum sauce that goes with the bread
> pudding! <g> This is not something I plan to make on a regular
> basis, but as a treat for a group occasion. All the other specified
> ingredients were right there on the supermarket shelf--that's why I
> suspect this is a mistake.

Will you please post your recipe for rum butter sauce?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 27, 4:46*pm, "Phyllis Stone" > wrote:

> I made it one Thanksgiving *because my daughter in law likes bread pudding
> and wanted to try it. There were lots of other desserts too. It was good. I
> don't care much for donuts or bread pudding `but she liked it.

AND HOW MUCH FRUIT COCKTAIL DID YOU USE???

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 28, 1:23*am, sf > wrote:

> Will you please post your recipe for rum butter sauce?

It's not mine, it comes with the other recipe:

Butter Rum Sauce:

1 stick butter

1 pound box confectioners' sugar

Rum, to taste

Melt butter and slowly stir in confectioners' sugar. Add rum and
heat until bubbly. Pour over each serving of Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding

Posted to rec.food.cooking

J wrote:
> On Mar 27, 4:46 pm, "Phyllis Stone" > wrote:
>>
>> I made it one Thanksgiving because my daughter in law likes bread
>> pudding and wanted to try it. There were lots of other desserts too.
>> It was good. I don't care much for donuts or bread pudding `but she
>> liked it.

> AND HOW MUCH FRUIT COCKTAIL DID YOU USE???

Why don't you just use 9 ounces that the damned recipe calls for?

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 26, 5:05*pm, J > wrote:
> On Mar 26, 3:18*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>

> > I agree. If I ate what Paula Deen cooks, I'd be as fluffy as Paula Deen
> > and I value my life and my health too much to experiment with her
> > cuisine. *I did find her entertaining for a while, but the gratuitous
> > "y'all's" got too annoying/cloying.

> I haven't even mentioned the butter rum sauce that goes with the bread
> pudding! <g> * This is not something I plan to make on a regular
> basis, but as a treat for a group occasion. All the other specified
> ingredients were right there on the supermarket shelf--that's why I
> suspect this is a mistake.

If you want killer bread pudding, you should make the Commander's
Palace recipe with their whiskey sauce. It is truly to die for.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Mar 26, 12:18*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> I agree. If I ate what Paula Deen cooks, I'd be as fluffy as Paula Deen
> and I value my life and my health too much to experiment with her
> cuisine. *I did find her entertaining for a while, but the gratuitous
> "y'all's" got too annoying/cloying.
>
> In her early Food Network Life, she had some interesting Low Country
> recipes.

----------

Agreed. I'm Southern born and she works my last nerve. ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 03:24:04 -0700 (PDT), J >
wrote:

> On Mar 28, 1:23*am, sf > wrote:
> >
> > Will you please post your recipe for rum butter sauce?

> It's not mine, it comes with the other recipe:
>
> Butter Rum Sauce:
>
> 1 stick butter
>
> 1 pound box confectioners' sugar
>
> Rum, to taste
>
> Melt butter and slowly stir in confectioners' sugar. Add rum and
> heat until bubbly. Pour over each serving of Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding

Thank you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 28, 8:59*am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Why don't you just use 9 ounces that the damned recipe calls for?

I think a comment from someone who's actually made the recipe would be
more helpful...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/26/2011 2:10 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 06:19:17 -0700 (PDT), >
> wrote:
>
>> Paula Deen passed along this recipe, which uses donuts instead of
>> bread. I won't put it here, because it's easy enough to Google, but
>> I'm hoping someone who reads this has actually made it.
>>
>> Several online version of this recipe--including Deen's at the Food
>> Network--call for two 4.5-ounce cans of fruit cocktail, and of course
>> there's no such thing. Anybody know what the correct amount is?

> Not me. There are very few Paula Deen recipes that sound like
> something I'd want to try and that's one of them.

It sounds decadent and something I'd love to try. But I'm not a fan of
bread pudding, and my cholesterol is high enough. But it sure sounds
yummy to me.

Experienced Member

call for two 4.5-ounce cans of fruit cocktail, and of course
there's no such thing. Anybody know what the correct amount is?I doubt an exact measurement of fruit cocktail is
critical. If you can get close to 9 oz (give or take an oz) I'm sure
you'll be fine. I haven't read the recipe but it would seem
(intuitively. You remember what that is, Jill, don't you? THINKING
SOMETHING THROUGH before saying something that makes you look like a
complete idiot) that the fruit is really more of a secondary player.
The balance between bread/donuts whatever and the custard ingredients
need to be precise.
__________________
MP4 Player
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 26, 2:18*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> On 3/26/2011 1:10 PM, sf wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 06:19:17 -0700 (PDT), >
> > wrote:

> >> Paula Deen passed along this recipe, which uses donuts instead of
> >> bread. I won't put it here, because it's easy enough to Google, but
> >> I'm hoping someone who reads this has actually made it.

> >> Several online version of this recipe--including Deen's at the Food
> >> Network--call for two 4.5-ounce cans of fruit cocktail, and of course
> >> there's no such thing. Anybody know what the correct amount is?

> > Not me. *There are very few Paula Deen recipes that sound like
> > something I'd want to try and that's one of them.

> I agree. If I ate what Paula Deen cooks, I'd be as fluffy as Paula Deen
> and I value my life and my health too much to experiment with her
> cuisine. *I did find her entertaining for a while, but the gratuitous
> "y'all's" got too annoying/cloying.

She's a pig.

> --
> Janet Wilder

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Apr 2011 05:09:40 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

> On Mar 26, 2:18*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> >

> > I agree. If I ate what Paula Deen cooks, I'd be as fluffy as Paula Deen
> > and I value my life and my health too much to experiment with her
> > cuisine. *I did find her entertaining for a while, but the gratuitous
> > "y'all's" got too annoying/cloying.
> >

> She's a pig.

I won't go that far, but she spreads all that "southern" on way too
thick. I don't get all the butter and fats either. Do people really
cook that way anymore? Interestingly enough, when hubby comes in and
I have Food Network or Cooking on - the TV cook with the reputation
for using fat isn't Paula for him. It's Ina Garten! "Oh, it's the
one that uses too much butter" and wouldn't you know, then she uses a
whole stick or sometimes two of them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 22:10:21 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> In article
> >,
> J > wrote:
>
> > On Mar 28, 8:59*am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> > >
> > > Why don't you just use 9 ounces that the damned recipe calls for?

> > I think a comment from someone who's actually made the recipe would be
> > more helpful...

> You don't need to make the recipe to add 4.5 to 4.5.

It makes my wonder why that person asked the question in the first
place. It's a recipe that virtually no one would want to try, so why
beat a dead horse like that? I really don't care. This thread should
have been dead already and I'm killing it now so it will go away
permanently.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:
> In article
> >,
> J > wrote:
>
>> On Mar 28, 8:59 am, "Nancy Young" >
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Why don't you just use 9 ounces that the damned recipe calls for?

>> I think a comment from someone who's actually made the recipe would
>> be more helpful...

> You don't need to make the recipe to add 4.5 to 4.5.

I remember seeing that show years ago, and Paula Deen
"actually made the recipe," if that's his/her criteria. It's not the
kind of recipe where precise measurements matter, add as much as
looks good to you.

nancy