Sheryl Rosen

Default Krispy Kreme: Is it me?

My local Shaw's market recently began selling Krispy Kreme donuts.
This is kinda funny to me, because the other major market in our area, Stop
and Shop, has a Dunkin Donuts kiosk in most stores. Coffee, donuts, muffins,
the whole nine yards.

Anyway, stopped at Shaws on the way home from work. The first thing I put in
the cart was a pair of very small donuts. One chocolate frosted with Cream
filling, the other similar, but with custard filling. They were 75 cents
each!!!!! And let me tell you. SMALL!!!! I mean, maybe 3 inches in diameter
and only about an inch tall. And nothing special. I had the cream filled
donut just now. Nothing special. Light, yeah, good chocolate frosting, but
no better than the donuts they used to sell there, that they made there (or
were made elsewhere by Shaw's and brought in, who knows.) and half the size
for 50% more! I did like the cream filling, that was tasty, and different
than most donut fillings I've had, but there wasn't enough of it for my
taste. Overall, for the money and all the hype, I wasn't impressed.

Is it just me, or is Krispy Kreme a lot of marketing hype and not much else?

I miss the donuts I used to be able to get at Stop and Shop. They were big,
with LOTS of filling. I always brought my dad some. He'd go there himself
for their donuts. And with a Dunkin' and another local donut shop across the
street, he preferred the donuts at Stop and Shop because they were bigger,
cheaper and were all about the fillling. Dad loved jelly or apple filled
donuts. Oh well.

SportKite1

>From: Sheryl Rosen

>Is it just me, or is Krispy Kreme a lot of marketing hype and not much else?

The only Krispy Kreme worth buying is a plain one purchased hot from a KK
store.

There is no doughnut better than the whole wheat cake ones made at Ferrells, at
2 am in the AM in Santa Cruz, CA.

Unless they are homemade. That's another treat altogether.

Ellen

Gtwy4cb

>Is it just me, or is Krispy Kreme a lot of marketing hype and not much else?

Over-rated, over-priced!! 6/$3.99 in my local supermarket--how long have they
beeen sitting on the shelf???
Curly Sue

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 01:50:05 GMT, Sheryl Rosen
> wrote:

>and only about an inch tall. And nothing special. I had the cream filled
>donut just now. Nothing special. Light, yeah, good chocolate frosting, but
>no better than the donuts they used to sell there, that they made there (or
>were made elsewhere by Shaw's and brought in, who knows.) and half the size
>for 50% more! I did like the cream filling, that was tasty, and different
>than most donut fillings I've had, but there wasn't enough of it for my
>taste. Overall, for the money and all the hype, I wasn't impressed.
>
>Is it just me, or is Krispy Kreme a lot of marketing hype and not much else?

Yup. The only two I like are the chocolate creme-filled one that you
had (assuming that they don't skimp on the chocolate frosting, as has
happened) and the raspberry-filled glazed. All of the other fillings
are mediocre, no better than canned pie filling. The appeal of the
glazed donuts is lost on me, but then I don't particularly go crazy
over funnel cakes either.

I actually prefer the small size of the KK donuts, but unfortunately
they are not priced proportionately.

Sue(tm)
notbob

On 2003-12-17, Sheryl Rosen > wrote:

> Is it just me, or is Krispy Kreme a lot of marketing hype and not much else?

It's not you. KK actually makes lousy donuts..

nb

PENMART01

Sheryl Rosen > writes:

>My local Shaw's market recently began selling Krispy Kreme donuts.
>This is kinda funny to me, because the other major market in our area, Stop
>and Shop, has a Dunkin Donuts kiosk in most stores. Coffee, donuts, muffins,
>the whole nine yards.
>
>Anyway, stopped at Shaws on the way home from work. The first thing I put in
>the cart was a pair of very small donuts. One chocolate frosted with Cream
>filling, the other similar, but with custard filling. They were 75 cents
>each!!!!! And let me tell you. SMALL!!!! I mean, maybe 3 inches in diameter
>and only about an inch tall. And nothing special. I had the cream filled
>donut just now. Nothing special. Light, yeah, good chocolate frosting, but
>no better than the donuts they used to sell there, that they made there (or
>were made elsewhere by Shaw's and brought in, who knows.) and half the size
>for 50% more! I did like the cream filling, that was tasty, and different
>than most donut fillings I've had, but there wasn't enough of it for my
>taste. Overall, for the money and all the hype, I wasn't impressed.
>
>Is it just me, or is Krispy Kreme a lot of marketing hype and not much else?
>
>I miss the donuts I used to be able to get at Stop and Shop. They were big,
>with LOTS of filling. I always brought my dad some. He'd go there himself
>for their donuts. And with a Dunkin' and another local donut shop across the
>street, he preferred the donuts at Stop and Shop because they were bigger,
>cheaper and were all about the fillling. Dad loved jelly or apple filled
>donuts. Oh well.

Krispy Kreme doesn't even come close to a well prepared freedom cruller or
eclair... and so easy to prepare your own... hehe, just be sure there's a bunch
of fressers present to help save you from needing a new wardrobe.

http://www.deliaonline.com/cookerysc...0000000022.asp

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Jack Schidt®

"Sheryl Rosen" > wrote in message
> My local Shaw's market recently began selling Krispy Kreme donuts.
> This is kinda funny to me, because the other major market in our area,

Stop
> and Shop, has a Dunkin Donuts kiosk in most stores. Coffee, donuts,

muffins,
> the whole nine yards.
>
> Anyway, stopped at Shaws on the way home from work. The first thing I put

in
> the cart was a pair of very small donuts. One chocolate frosted with Cream
> filling, the other similar, but with custard filling. They were 75 cents
> each!!!!! And let me tell you. SMALL!!!! I mean, maybe 3 inches in

diameter
> and only about an inch tall. And nothing special. I had the cream filled
> donut just now. Nothing special. Light, yeah, good chocolate frosting,

but
> no better than the donuts they used to sell there, that they made there

(or
> were made elsewhere by Shaw's and brought in, who knows.) and half the

size
> for 50% more! I did like the cream filling, that was tasty, and different
> than most donut fillings I've had, but there wasn't enough of it for my
> taste. Overall, for the money and all the hype, I wasn't impressed.
>
> Is it just me, or is Krispy Kreme a lot of marketing hype and not much

else?

> I miss the donuts I used to be able to get at Stop and Shop. They were

big,
> with LOTS of filling. I always brought my dad some. He'd go there himself
> for their donuts. And with a Dunkin' and another local donut shop across

the
> street, he preferred the donuts at Stop and Shop because they were bigger,
> cheaper and were all about the fillling. Dad loved jelly or apple filled
> donuts. Oh well.

I think the name "krispy kreme' was the catch. Isn't that a great name?
You picture vanilla creme surrounded by crisp streudel dough.

Other than that they're just mediocre doughnuts.

Jack Dough

Blair P. Houghton

Sheryl Rosen > wrote:
>Is it just me, or is Krispy Kreme a lot of marketing hype and not much else?

(Puts finger on end of nose and points at player with other hand.)

--Blair
"I want that other hand back
when you're done."
Tracey

Sheryl Rosen wrote:

> Is it just me, or is Krispy Kreme a lot of marketing hype and not much
> else?

IMO, they are only good if they are HOT. I've never had anything but the
regular glazed ones, but hot is by far better.

Cate

"Sheryl Rosen" > wrote in message

> Is it just me, or is Krispy Kreme a lot of marketing hype and not much

else?

I ate at Krispy Kreme a lot as a child in the 70s and 80s. The donuts they
make now are inferior to what they made back then. Maybe, like with so many
other things, when they became popular was when they started to suck.

Cate

Louis Cohen

I've tried them when someone brings them to the office. I'm not a doughnut
aficionado, but they seem pretty ordinary to me.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

Bah! Humbug!

"Sheryl Rosen" > wrote in message
> My local Shaw's market recently began selling Krispy Kreme donuts.
> This is kinda funny to me, because the other major market in our area,

Stop
> and Shop, has a Dunkin Donuts kiosk in most stores. Coffee, donuts,

muffins,
> the whole nine yards.
>
> Anyway, stopped at Shaws on the way home from work. The first thing I put

in
> the cart was a pair of very small donuts. One chocolate frosted with Cream
> filling, the other similar, but with custard filling. They were 75 cents
> each!!!!! And let me tell you. SMALL!!!! I mean, maybe 3 inches in

diameter
> and only about an inch tall. And nothing special. I had the cream filled
> donut just now. Nothing special. Light, yeah, good chocolate frosting,

but
> no better than the donuts they used to sell there, that they made there

(or
> were made elsewhere by Shaw's and brought in, who knows.) and half the

size
> for 50% more! I did like the cream filling, that was tasty, and different
> than most donut fillings I've had, but there wasn't enough of it for my
> taste. Overall, for the money and all the hype, I wasn't impressed.
>
> Is it just me, or is Krispy Kreme a lot of marketing hype and not much

else?

> I miss the donuts I used to be able to get at Stop and Shop. They were

big,
> with LOTS of filling. I always brought my dad some. He'd go there himself
> for their donuts. And with a Dunkin' and another local donut shop across

the
> street, he preferred the donuts at Stop and Shop because they were bigger,
> cheaper and were all about the fillling. Dad loved jelly or apple filled
> donuts. Oh well.

MareCat

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 01:50:05 GMT, Sheryl Rosen
> wrote:
>
>Is it just me, or is Krispy Kreme a lot of marketing hype and not much else?

Not just you. The donuts sold hot and fresh in the KK stores are OK,
but nothing to get really excited about. And the KK donuts sold in
supermarkets are pretty bad, especially since they've been sitting
around for who knows how long.
Levelwave©

Sheryl Rosen wrote:

> Is it just me, or is Krispy Kreme a lot of marketing hype and not much else?

Compared to a privately owned bakery then yes... but for a chain it
ain't too shabby... just make sure you buy the plain doughnuts when the
"Hot Fresh Doughnuts Now" sign is blinking... if and only then - they
are *NOT* mediocre doughnuts as some misinformed people might think...

~john!

--
Say hello to the rug's topography...It holds quite a lot of interest
with your face down on it...

T E

Yes, Krispy Kreme is way over rated.
Tried them once, no thank you.

Wayne Boatwright

Sheryl Rosen > wrote in
:

> My local Shaw's market recently began selling Krispy Kreme donuts.

< snip >

> Is it just me, or is Krispy Kreme a lot of marketing hype and not much
> else?

< snip >

No, Sheryl, it is definitely not you. I have yet to taste a really good
Krispy Kreme donut that was delivered to and sold by a supermarket or
other store.

That said, however, if one goes to a Krispy Kreme store where the donuts
are constantly in production, a still-warm-from-frying donut with fresh
soft glaze can be absolutely delicious, even though terribly sweet.

I have also sampled the varieties you mentioned at the Krispy Kreme store
and they don't hold a candle to the simple raised glazed donuts
regardless of how fresh they may be. They are mediocre at best.

If you ever have a chance to try a fresh warm KK directly from one of
their stores, it's worth taking the chance. Bought anywhere else, or any
other variety, all bets are off.

Wayne
Chris

My mom goes nuts over Krispy Kreme.

Personally, I can take or leave just about every "in-box" variety they've
got.

Freshest is bestest.

;-)

jammer

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 03:09:14 GMT, Tracey >
wrote:

>> Is it just me, or is Krispy Kreme a lot of marketing hype and not much
>> else?

It is not just you.

-L.

Sheryl Rosen > wrote in message >...
> My local Shaw's market recently began selling Krispy Kreme donuts.
> This is kinda funny to me, because the other major market in our area, Stop
> and Shop, has a Dunkin Donuts kiosk in most stores. Coffee, donuts, muffins,
> the whole nine yards.
>
> Anyway, stopped at Shaws on the way home from work. The first thing I put in
> the cart was a pair of very small donuts. One chocolate frosted with Cream
> filling, the other similar, but with custard filling. They were 75 cents
> each!!!!! And let me tell you. SMALL!!!! I mean, maybe 3 inches in diameter
> and only about an inch tall. And nothing special. I had the cream filled
> donut just now. Nothing special. Light, yeah, good chocolate frosting, but
> no better than the donuts they used to sell there, that they made there (or
> were made elsewhere by Shaw's and brought in, who knows.) and half the size
> for 50% more! I did like the cream filling, that was tasty, and different
> than most donut fillings I've had, but there wasn't enough of it for my
> taste. Overall, for the money and all the hype, I wasn't impressed.

Neither am I. I've had them fresh from a KK store, and I could never
see what the attraction was. To me, they're pretty greasy, and not
all that tasty.

-L.
Melissa Houle

Sheryl Rosen > wrote in message >...
SNIP>
> Is it just me, or is Krispy Kreme a lot of marketing hype and not much else?

When a new Krispy Kreme place opened half a mile from where I live, I
thought I was doomed. (My relationship with food is, if something is
bad for me, I'm pretty sure to love it.)An East-coast based friend of
mine used to RAVE about Krispy Kreme donuts, so naturally, I had to
try them. I was both relieved and disappointed to find out they were
small, as you said, and while tasty enough when fresh, nothing out of
the ordinary in the donut line. I do second the advice of others and
recommend buying them fresh from a KK place rather than a supermarket
kiosk, but even then, they don't do a lot for me. I do have a sort of
nauseated fascination with watching them get their sugar glaze bath as
they pass through on the conveyor belt. But fortunately for my
health, I find them quite resistable.

Melissa

BillKirch

It's like Mrs. Fields bagged cookies in the store ...they suck. fresh ones from
the outlets...great. I actually called them and told them NOT to sell these
bagged cookies because your just gonna **** people off that know the
difference. And turn people off that don't. BG
WardNA

>IMO, they are only good if they are HOT.

Indeed. And even so, the glaze goes on too heavily and has too much of a
butterscotch flavor.
rosie

"Sheryl Rosen" > wrote in message

.............................> Is it just me, or is Krispy Kreme a
lot of marketing hype and not much else?

its NOT just you............................i found them VERY
disappointing!

PENMART01

"rosie" > writes:

>................................i found them VERY disappointing!

Well, it's pretty pathetic relying on friggin' donuts for your sex life.
sheesh!

..........................................hehe

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

PaulaGarlic

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote

> "Sheryl Rosen" > wrote in message
> > My local Shaw's market recently began selling Krispy Kreme donuts

snip

> I think the name "krispy kreme' was the catch. Isn't that a great name?
> You picture vanilla creme surrounded by crisp streudel dough.
>
> Other than that they're just mediocre doughnuts.
>
> Jack Dough

You're probably right...I've never had a Krispy Kreme doughnut. They are
building one in the area right now and, while I am not a doughnut junkie, I
will try one or two. In the interest of science, of course. But the name
just sounds so good. I picture vanilla creme with some sort of sweet, rich,
crispy dough.

Paula

Vox Humana

"Sheryl Rosen" > wrote in message
> My local Shaw's market recently began selling Krispy Kreme donuts.
> This is kinda funny to me, because the other major market in our area,

Stop
> and Shop, has a Dunkin Donuts kiosk in most stores. Coffee, donuts,

muffins,
> the whole nine yards.
>
> Anyway, stopped at Shaws on the way home from work. The first thing I put

in
> the cart was a pair of very small donuts. One chocolate frosted with Cream
> filling, the other similar, but with custard filling. They were 75 cents
> each!!!!! And let me tell you. SMALL!!!! I mean, maybe 3 inches in

diameter
> and only about an inch tall. And nothing special. I had the cream filled
> donut just now. Nothing special. Light, yeah, good chocolate frosting,

but
> no better than the donuts they used to sell there, that they made there

(or
> were made elsewhere by Shaw's and brought in, who knows.) and half the

size
> for 50% more! I did like the cream filling, that was tasty, and different
> than most donut fillings I've had, but there wasn't enough of it for my
> taste. Overall, for the money and all the hype, I wasn't impressed.
>
> Is it just me, or is Krispy Kreme a lot of marketing hype and not much

else?

> I miss the donuts I used to be able to get at Stop and Shop. They were

big,
> with LOTS of filling. I always brought my dad some. He'd go there himself
> for their donuts. And with a Dunkin' and another local donut shop across

the
> street, he preferred the donuts at Stop and Shop because they were bigger,
> cheaper and were all about the fillling. Dad loved jelly or apple filled
> donuts. Oh well.

I'm with you on this one. Like nearly all doughnuts, KK's aren't bad when
eaten shortly after being fried. Once cool, they are just hyper-sweet,
grease-saturated pieces of dough with filling a'la DuPont. They are too
expensive in my opinion, but people are willing to pay the price asked. I
think KK sells status for the drive though customer who is picking up
doughnuts for work and they sell an experience for people who eat inside and
watch the doughnuts being made on the fancy equipment.

Cindy Fuller

In article >,
Sheryl Rosen > wrote:

> My local Shaw's market recently began selling Krispy Kreme donuts.
> This is kinda funny to me, because the other major market in our area, Stop
> and Shop, has a Dunkin Donuts kiosk in most stores. Coffee, donuts, muffins,
> the whole nine yards.
>
> Anyway, stopped at Shaws on the way home from work. The first thing I put in
> the cart was a pair of very small donuts. One chocolate frosted with Cream
> filling, the other similar, but with custard filling. They were 75 cents
> each!!!!! And let me tell you. SMALL!!!! I mean, maybe 3 inches in diameter
> and only about an inch tall. And nothing special. I had the cream filled
> donut just now. Nothing special. Light, yeah, good chocolate frosting, but
> no better than the donuts they used to sell there, that they made there (or
> were made elsewhere by Shaw's and brought in, who knows.) and half the size
> for 50% more! I did like the cream filling, that was tasty, and different
> than most donut fillings I've had, but there wasn't enough of it for my
> taste. Overall, for the money and all the hype, I wasn't impressed.
>
> Is it just me, or is Krispy Kreme a lot of marketing hype and not much else?

We used to live in the land of Krispy Kreme (NC). I used to pass a KK
store on my way to work for years--until the Health Dept shut it down
for a massive cockroach infestation. Neither SO nor I could understand
the hype. I only eat one or two doughnuts a year of any variety, so it
was never big on my radar screen.

When we moved to Seattle (before the KK store on Aurora and N 125th
opened), one grocery store was hawking that they'd have Krispy Kreme
doughnuts on Saturday. We asked the cashier, "Will they be hot?" She
replied, "No." We retorted, "Then why bother?"

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
James McIninch

When I got married, my wife and I made a web-page that listed Atlanta-area
restaurants that we rated. Krispy Kreme got a 5-star / 1-star rating:
5-stars if the "Hot Doughnuts" light was on, 1-star otherwise. I think they
are amazingly tasty when they are piping hot, but nothing more than a
sugary greaseball when cooled. You can reheat them in the microwave to
improve them slightly, but it's not the same.

On the other hand. I had developed a Krispy Kreme ice-cream recipe on the
occasion of a friend's birthday party, and it was quite popular. Here it
is:

Triple Kreme Ice Cream
======================
Ingredients
1 egg
5 egg yolks
7 oz sweetened condensed milk (1/2 can)
2 c heavy cream
1-1/2 c milk
3/4 t vanilla
1 pinch salt
1-1/2 t flour
1/4 t dry yeast
1/2 t malt extract
1 t honey
3 Krispy Kreme glazed doughnuts

Wisk eggs, egg yolks, and sweetened condensed milk in a bowl. Set aside.

Combine cream and milk in pot and heat over medium-low heat, stirring until
it begins to bubble.

Pour milk and cream mixture into egg mixture and wisk together. Add vanilla,
salt, and flour.

Return the mix to the pot and heat over medium-low heat, stirring until the
mixture has a thick custard-cream like consistency.

Remove from heat and add yeast, malt extract, and honey. Wisk together.

Place doughnuts in a blender or food processor (one with at least 1-1/2 qt
capacity) and pour the custard mixture over the doughnuts.

Blend at high-speed for 1 minute or until there is little or no trace of
doughnut bits.

Pour into a bowl and let cool. Place the mixture in the fridge, covered,
overnight.

Process into Ice Cream per the directions of your ice-cream maker.

Good when served over a hot doughnut. Strawberry or raspberry jelly or
custand creme make good toppings.

Sheryl Rosen wrote:

> My local Shaw's market recently began selling Krispy Kreme donuts.
> This is kinda funny to me, because the other major market in our area,
> Stop and Shop, has a Dunkin Donuts kiosk in most stores. Coffee, donuts,
> muffins, the whole nine yards.
>
> Anyway, stopped at Shaws on the way home from work. The first thing I put
> in the cart was a pair of very small donuts. One chocolate frosted with
> Cream
> filling, the other similar, but with custard filling. They were 75 cents
> each!!!!! And let me tell you. SMALL!!!! I mean, maybe 3 inches in
> diameter
> and only about an inch tall. And nothing special. I had the cream filled
> donut just now. Nothing special. Light, yeah, good chocolate frosting,
> but no better than the donuts they used to sell there, that they made
> there (or were made elsewhere by Shaw's and brought in, who knows.) and
> half the size
> for 50% more! I did like the cream filling, that was tasty, and different
> than most donut fillings I've had, but there wasn't enough of it for my
> taste. Overall, for the money and all the hype, I wasn't impressed.
>
> Is it just me, or is Krispy Kreme a lot of marketing hype and not much
> else?
>
> I miss the donuts I used to be able to get at Stop and Shop. They were
> big, with LOTS of filling. I always brought my dad some. He'd go there
> himself for their donuts. And with a Dunkin' and another local donut shop
> across the street, he preferred the donuts at Stop and Shop because they
> were bigger, cheaper and were all about the fillling. Dad loved jelly or
> apple filled donuts. Oh well.

j.j.

Hark! I heard Sheryl Rosen > say:

> Is it just me, or is Krispy Kreme a lot of marketing hype and not much else?

<snip>

I've only had them one time -- that was enough for me, as I was less
than impressed...

--
j.j. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
...fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!

Nancy Young

"j.j." wrote:

> Hark! I heard Sheryl Rosen > say:
>
> > Is it just me, or is Krispy Kreme a lot of marketing hype and not much else?

> I've only had them one time -- that was enough for me, as I was less
> than impressed...

I only tried them once, and even then they were from the supermarket.
Now, I understand I'm eating a donut, not a bowl of chicken soup,
whatever, but it was so sweet it actually hurt my teeth. If I'm
ever somewhere where they have a Krispy Kreme store and that light
is on, I will try it just to see the difference from the ones in the
store, but that's about it.

nancy
Kate Connally

Sheryl Rosen wrote:

> My local Shaw's market recently began selling Krispy Kreme donuts.
> This is kinda funny to me, because the other major market in our area, Stop
> and Shop, has a Dunkin Donuts kiosk in most stores. Coffee, donuts, muffins,
> the whole nine yards.
>
> Anyway, stopped at Shaws on the way home from work. The first thing I put in
> the cart was a pair of very small donuts. One chocolate frosted with Cream
> filling, the other similar, but with custard filling. They were 75 cents
> each!!!!! And let me tell you. SMALL!!!! I mean, maybe 3 inches in diameter
> and only about an inch tall. And nothing special. I had the cream filled
> donut just now. Nothing special. Light, yeah, good chocolate frosting, but
> no better than the donuts they used to sell there, that they made there (or
> were made elsewhere by Shaw's and brought in, who knows.) and half the size
> for 50% more! I did like the cream filling, that was tasty, and different
> than most donut fillings I've had, but there wasn't enough of it for my
> taste. Overall, for the money and all the hype, I wasn't impressed.
>
> Is it just me, or is Krispy Kreme a lot of marketing hype and not much else?

I too was not at all impressed by KK. They are very small
and very expensive. The dough is Wonder Bread-like.
One good thing I can say about them is that they put lots
of glaze on the glazed doughnuts and due to their small
size the glaze-to-dough ratio is quite high. Also, I had
a lemon-filled one once and the filling was very tasty.
Normally I don't like lemon-flavored stuff because lots
of places use artificial lemon flavoring which I abhor.
This taste of real lemon.

Anyway, I think they are way over-rated and I would never
buy them myself and I sometimes even turn down free ones
that people bring in for the office. That's almost unheard
of for me to turn down free food. ;-)

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally

WardNA wrote:

> >IMO, they are only good if they are HOT.

> Indeed. And even so, the glaze goes on too heavily and has too much of a
> butterscotch flavor.

What butterscotch flavor? And lots of glaze is
the big attraction for me. The rule is: There is
no such thing as too much glaze.

Kate

Sheryl Rosen > wrote:

> Anyway, stopped at Shaws on the way home from work. The first thing I put in
> the cart was a pair of very small donuts. One chocolate frosted with Cream

Very small? All the Krispy Kremes I've seen have been
what I would call average sized for doughnuts. Not huge,
but not tiny either. About the same size as Dunkin Donuts'
product.

> Is it just me, or is Krispy Kreme a lot of marketing hype and not much else?

I think they are over-hyped a bit. The freshly made ones are better.
Having grown up in the NorthEast I didn't run into KK till I moved
to Virginia. I didn't see the big deal, and still don't.

> cheaper and were all about the fillling. Dad loved jelly or apple filled
> donuts. Oh well.

Yeah, KK is not great on filled. Not their strong suit at all.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Jimmy Tango

"Sheryl Rosen" > wrote in message
> My local Shaw's market recently began selling Krispy Kreme donuts.
> This is kinda funny to me, because the other major market in our area,

Stop
> and Shop, has a Dunkin Donuts kiosk in most stores. Coffee, donuts,

muffins,
> the whole nine yards.
>
> Anyway, stopped at Shaws on the way home from work. The first thing I put

in
> the cart was a pair of very small donuts. One chocolate frosted with Cream
> filling, the other similar, but with custard filling. They were 75 cents
> each!!!!! And let me tell you. SMALL!!!! I mean, maybe 3 inches in

diameter
> and only about an inch tall. And nothing special. I had the cream filled
> donut just now. Nothing special. Light, yeah, good chocolate frosting,

but
> no better than the donuts they used to sell there, that they made there

(or
> were made elsewhere by Shaw's and brought in, who knows.) and half the

size
> for 50% more! I did like the cream filling, that was tasty, and different
> than most donut fillings I've had, but there wasn't enough of it for my
> taste. Overall, for the money and all the hype, I wasn't impressed.
>
> Is it just me, or is Krispy Kreme a lot of marketing hype and not much

else?

> I miss the donuts I used to be able to get at Stop and Shop. They were

big,
> with LOTS of filling. I always brought my dad some. He'd go there himself
> for their donuts. And with a Dunkin' and another local donut shop across

the
> street, he preferred the donuts at Stop and Shop because they were bigger,
> cheaper and were all about the fillling. Dad loved jelly or apple filled
> donuts. Oh well.

I'm with you on this one, Sheryl. Krispy Kreme is just a bunch of hype.
Unfortunately, most of the gas stations and coffee shops around here are
replacing the delicious donuts and pastries with these awful, overpriced
things. Sad.

Laura

there glazed are unique to me..don't know what that says about my palate
though. It is the icing I think.. I nap those at the grocery every once in
awhile.. Here in Columbus Ohio though a good neighbor hood bakery is hard
to find. There used to be one on Riverside across from the Griggs park,
and of course a few in German village and other places in high street, but
for most suburban there is nothing good nearby. Sigh.. I miss the bakeries
in Cleveland. My dad get fantastic donuts up at the local grocery..made and
served mostly by Slovenian ladies..
--

Laura

"Jimmy Tango" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "Sheryl Rosen" > wrote in message
> > My local Shaw's market recently began selling Krispy Kreme donuts.
> > This is kind of funny to me, because the other major market in our area,

> Stop
> > and Shop, has a Dunkin Donuts kiosk in most stores. Coffee, donuts,

> muffins,
> > the whole nine yards.
> >
> > Anyway, stopped at Shaws on the way home from work. The first thing I

put
> in
> > the cart was a pair of very small donuts. One chocolate frosted with

Cream
> > filling, the other similar, but with custard filling. They were 75

cents
> > each!!!!! And let me tell you. SMALL!!!! I mean, maybe 3 inches in

> diameter
> > and only about an inch tall. And nothing special. I had the cream

filled
> > donut just now. Nothing special. Light, yeah, good chocolate frosting,

> but
> > no better than the donuts they used to sell there, that they made there

> (or
> > were made elsewhere by Shaw's and brought in, who knows.) and half the

> size
> > for 50% more! I did like the cream filling, that was tasty, and

different
> > than most donut fillings I've had, but there wasn't enough of it for my
> > taste. Overall, for the money and all the hype, I wasn't impressed.
> >
> > Is it just me, or is Krispy Kreme a lot of marketing hype and not much

> else?
> >
> > I miss the donuts I used to be able to get at Stop and Shop. They were

> big,
> > with LOTS of filling. I always brought my dad some. He'd go there

himself
> > for their donuts. And with a Dunkin' and another local donut shop across

> the
> > street, he preferred the donuts at Stop and Shop because they were

bigger,
> > cheaper and were all about the fillling. Dad loved jelly or apple filled
> > donuts. Oh well.
> >

> I'm with you on this one, Sheryl. Krispy Kreme is just a bunch of hype.
> Unfortunately, most of the gas stations and coffee shops around here are
> replacing the delicious donuts and pastries with these awful, overpriced
> things. Sad.

CoastWatcher

Yeh, but look at the publicity wave they've ridden on to make millions
and here we are adding to that. Now what does that make us?

PENMART01 wrote:
> "rosie" > writes:
>
>>................................i found them VERY disappointing!

> Well, it's pretty pathetic relying on friggin' donuts for your sex life.
> sheesh!
>
> .........................................hehe
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> Sheldon
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

Vox Humana

"Laura" > wrote in message
> there glazed are unique to me..don't know what that says about my palate
> though. It is the icing I think.. I nap those at the grocery every once

in
> awhile.. Here in Columbus Ohio though a good neighbor hood bakery is hard
> to find. There used to be one on Riverside across from the Griggs park,
> and of course a few in German village and other places in high street,

but
> for most suburban there is nothing good nearby. Sigh.. I miss the

bakeries
> in Cleveland. My dad get fantastic donuts up at the local grocery..made

and
> served mostly by Slovenian ladies..
> --
>
> Laura

I lived in Columbus for years. Last Friday I attended some continuing ed.
classes at OSU. On my way out of town, I stopped at Rotolo's (on W. 5th.)
and got a couple of unbaked pizzas to take home. You are right about not
having many (or any) good bakeries in Columbus, but you do have Rotolo's.
They have the best pizza I've ever eaten. It was sort of nostalgic to visit
that place. I recognized the same family members that were working there
thirty years ago.

kilikini

Default What IS the big deal about KK?

We are just getting a KK where I live and my best friend is ecstatic. What
really IS the big deal and what kind of donuts do they specialize in?
(Obviously not filled, which were always my favorite.) Do they have eclair
style or just glazed? You all have talked quite a bit about the
glazed......

Before it opens (which is supposed to be in about 45 days - they actually
have a large digital countdown clock on their storefront), I would be
interested in their products to find out if I would care to try the donuts
or not. I've never been much of a donut eater, but give me a big thick slab
of freshly baked sourdough bread with sweet butter any day of the week!

For those of you that LIKE KK, can you give me an idea on your favorites?

Kilikini

Mike Van Pelt

In article >,
kilikini > wrote:
>For those of you that LIKE KK, can you give me an idea on your favorites?

I grew up with the idea that Krispy Kreme was *the* only kind of
donut. I was never very happy with the other brands I could get
here in California. Not sweet enough - a donut is *supposed* to
be sweet; that's why it's called a donut and not a bagel.

The plain glazed KK ones still hot out of the machine are great.
I still like them later. Five seconds in a microwave restores
a bit of that "fresh" flavor. The ones in the grocery stores
don't seem to be the same.

The one that I really risk going into a feeding frenzy on, though,
are the chocolate frosted creme filled ones. All that
Winchells/Dunkin/etc/etc have along that line are custard-filled,
which I found to be a huge disappointment. Be warned, though,
two of these, and you'll be sugar-ODed.

(Krispy Kreme also has a custard-filled donut, for people who
are into that sort of thing.

--
To truly appreciate Dilbert, one must read | Mike Van Pelt
it in the orignal Ferengi. What is lost | mvp at calweb.com
in the translation is that the boss is | KE6BVH
always right. -- plopez on slashdot.org