Old 11-07-2008, 11:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Krispy Kreme surprise

One of the first Krispy Kreme (doughnut) shops opened a few miles away
from our house about two years ago. Imagine my surprise to see, driving
by about a year later that it was boarded over and had a "For sale or
lease" sign on the building. And I never even got the chance to sample
their wares! When it opened the lines of cars for the drive-up went
around the block and the parking lot was jammed for a while.

Evidently the mystique didn't last long or it was the wrong
location/demographic (in an area with loads of apartments and condos.)

Walmarts and Targets are still springing up all around, often just two
or three miles from an existing store which closes when the new one
opens, leaving an empty storefront. Ugh.

gloria p

Old 11-07-2008, 11:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

Walmarts and Targets are still springing up all around, often just two
or three miles from an existing store which closes when the new one
opens, leaving an empty storefront. Ugh.

Target is pulling this trick in Richmond, California. They are
closing a store that is right adjacent to a BART station (that's
our metro rail system here), and replacing it with a store
that is at least two miles from any BART station. I do not think
they have planned this move with the energy crisis in mind, and
it particularly sucks for their employees.

Steve
Old 12-07-2008, 12:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" wrote in message

One of the first Krispy Kreme (doughnut) shops opened a few miles away
from our house about two years ago. Imagine my surprise to see, driving
by about a year later that it was boarded over and had a "For sale or
lease" sign on the building. And I never even got the chance to sample
their wares! When it opened the lines of cars for the drive-up went
around the block and the parking lot was jammed for a while.

They are not that great, to me--just too dead sweet. For example, even
the filled donuts are glazed. Overkill! Like all glazed donuts theirs are
amazing
hot.

Evidently the mystique didn't last long or it was the wrong
location/demographic (in an area with loads of apartments and condos.)

Where are you? Just curious.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 11, 3:18*pm, Gloria P wrote:
One of the first Krispy Kreme (doughnut) shops opened a few miles away
from our house about two years ago. *Imagine my surprise to see, driving
by about a year later that it was boarded over and had a "For sale or
lease" sign on the building. *And I never even got the chance to sample
their wares! *When it opened the lines of cars for the drive-up went
around the block and the parking lot was jammed for a while.

Evidently the mystique didn't last long or it was the wrong
location/demographic (in an area with loads of apartments and condos.)

The low-carb diet made a comeback about a year ago (or so?) and Krispy
Kremes are folding all over the place. I think Fresh Choice (all carb
salad bars) are closing, too.

Karen

Old 12-07-2008, 12:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 11 Jul 2008 03:18:06p, Gloria P told us...

One of the first Krispy Kreme (doughnut) shops opened a few miles away
from our house about two years ago. Imagine my surprise to see, driving
by about a year later that it was boarded over and had a "For sale or
lease" sign on the building. And I never even got the chance to sample
their wares! When it opened the lines of cars for the drive-up went
around the block and the parking lot was jammed for a while.

Evidently the mystique didn't last long or it was the wrong
location/demographic (in an area with loads of apartments and condos.)

Walmarts and Targets are still springing up all around, often just two
or three miles from an existing store which closes when the new one
opens, leaving an empty storefront. Ugh.

gloria p

I don't go to Costco frequently, but I was in the area the other day and
thought I would stop in for a few items. Imagine my surprise when I found
it locked up tight and boards over the windows. They had moved in recent
months to a new location about less than 2 miles from the original spot.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)

Old 12-07-2008, 12:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

There can be a lot of reasons for those kind of moves, including giving
the big FU to a city government that is giving them problems. Other
times, building / land lease issues, developers offering more for the
land to build some other project, etc.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 11 Jul 2008 04:53:55p, Pete C. told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

I think in the case of this Costco store, it was none of th above.
Although I haven't been inside the new store yet, it appears to be
significantly larger than the old one. It is also still in the same city
as the old one.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)

Old 12-07-2008, 01:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Pete C." wrote:

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I don't go to Costco frequently, but I was in the area the other day and
thought I would stop in for a few items. Imagine my surprise when I found
it locked up tight and boards over the windows. They had moved in recent
months to a new location about less than 2 miles from the original spot.

There can be a lot of reasons for those kind of moves, including giving
the big FU to a city government that is giving them problems. Other
times, building / land lease issues, developers offering more for the
land to build some other project, etc.

There was a Costco pretty close to my sister's house. It closed down a
few years back after they built a new one further away. It was pretty
obvious why it closed. It was too successful. The building was too
small, and the parking lot was *way* too small. There was just no room
there to expand, so they had to move. The building is still vacant.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Old 12-07-2008, 01:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" wrote in message

One of the first Krispy Kreme (doughnut) shops opened a few miles away
from our house about two years ago. Imagine my surprise to see, driving
by about a year later that it was boarded over and had a "For sale or
lease" sign on the building. And I never even got the chance to sample
their wares! When it opened the lines of cars for the drive-up went
around the block and the parking lot was jammed for a while.

Evidently the mystique didn't last long or it was the wrong
location/demographic (in an area with loads of apartments and condos.)

In Canada all the Krispy Kremes closed abruptly at the same time. They were
cooking their books to inflate their sales figures. I loved their donuts and
was sorry to see them go. You can, however, still get Krispy Kremes at one
local gas station chain.

Walmarts and Targets are still springing up all around, often just two or
three miles from an existing store which closes when the new one opens,
leaving an empty storefront. Ugh.

If we thought urban sprawl was ugly we ain't seen nothin' yet. Around here
the biggest problem is a monomania for condos. The new shopping experience
is these box malls where separate box stores are widely spaced on a
multi-acre lot so you have to get in your car and drive from one store door
to the next. Double Ugh.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
"Gloria P" wrote in message

One of the first Krispy Kreme (doughnut) shops opened a few miles away
from our house about two years ago. Imagine my surprise to see, driving
by about a year later that it was boarded over and had a "For sale or
lease" sign on the building. And I never even got the chance to sample
their wares! When it opened the lines of cars for the drive-up went
around the block and the parking lot was jammed for a while.

They are not that great, to me--just too dead sweet. For example, even
the filled donuts are glazed. Overkill! Like all glazed donuts theirs are
amazing
hot.

Evidently the mystique didn't last long or it was the wrong
location/demographic (in an area with loads of apartments and condos.)

Where are you? Just curious.

Denver, southeast suburbs.

gloria p

Old 12-07-2008, 02:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" wrote
Where are you? Just curious.

Denver, southeast suburbs.

Wow! That is a long way for a lowly KK to travel!

Old 12-07-2008, 02:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

The UnInmate wrote:

If we thought urban sprawl was ugly we ain't seen nothin' yet. Around here
the biggest problem is a monomania for condos.

Ditto.

The new shopping experience
is these box malls where separate box stores are widely spaced on a
multi-acre lot so you have to get in your car and drive from one store door
to the next. Double Ugh.

Ditto. The worst of it is in winter when there are huge piles of snow
that block your view of oncoming cars and decrease the number of parking
spaces by 30% or more at each store and hoards of people are Christmas
shopping. Then they restripe the lot, making each space narrower
because there aren't enough spaces and fools in mega-SUVs or pickup
trucks take 2 or more spaces. Ugh. Makes you nostalgic for
old-fashioned downtowns where you could take a bus or park in big lots
behind the stores and walk down a real street to shop.

gloria p

Old 12-07-2008, 02:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" wrote :
Makes you nostalgic for old-fashioned downtowns where you could take a bus
or park in big lots behind the stores and walk down a real street to shop.

The ironic thing is, after ruining the city centers, now the trend in
suburban
malls is the "Town Center."

Idiots.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

One of the first Krispy Kreme (doughnut) shops opened a few miles away
from our house about two years ago. Imagine my surprise to see, driving
by about a year later that it was boarded over and had a "For sale or
lease" sign on the building. And I never even got the chance to sample
their wares!

How many more years would you have needed to buy a donut from them?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Old 12-07-2008, 03:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" wrote in message
. ..
The UnInmate wrote:

[...]

I reached adulthood before "malling" became a word, but it was still fun to
wander around the big indoor malls. Now they are passe' and it's really a
shame. The smalltown walk-down-the-main-street-full-of-small-stores thing is
a tourist experience these days.