Kiwanda

Default Banh Xeo cooking technique?

Folks-

I tried making Banh Xeo for the first time tonight and the result
wasn't quite what I'd hoped for. I think I made the batter too thick,
and perhaps didn't have enough oil in the pan...at any rate the
pancake came out about as thick as a "regular" western pancake. When
I've had Banh Xeo in resturants it's been more like a crepe and
crispy. Is there a secret technique to making these right? Do I just
need to cook them in a wok with a lot of oil, rather than trying to
use a skillet?

For those that may not be familiar with "Banh Xeo," it is often
listed as "happy pancake" or "Hanoi pancake" on Vietnamese resturaunt
menus. It's a thin, crispy pancake made of rice flour and coconut
milk, filled with shrimp, pork, bean sprouts, etc. and eaten wrapped
in lettuce with nuoc cham. They are *really* delicious...the ones I
made tonight tasted OK but the texture was definately wrong as they
were too thick/doughy.

I'd appreciate any hints anyone can offer!

Thanks,

Kiwanda
pjjehg

"Kiwanda"wrote ...
> Folks-
>
> I tried making Banh Xeo for the first time tonight and the result
> wasn't quite what I'd hoped for. I think I made the batter too thick,
> and perhaps didn't have enough oil in the pan...at any rate the
> pancake came out about as thick as a "regular" western pancake. When
> I've had Banh Xeo in resturants it's been more like a crepe and
> crispy. Is there a secret technique to making these right? Do I just
> need to cook them in a wok with a lot of oil, rather than trying to
> use a skillet?
>
> For those that may not be familiar with "Banh Xeo," it is often
> listed as "happy pancake" or "Hanoi pancake" on Vietnamese resturaunt
> menus. It's a thin, crispy pancake made of rice flour and coconut
> milk, filled with shrimp, pork, bean sprouts, etc. and eaten wrapped
> in lettuce with nuoc cham. They are *really* delicious...the ones I
> made tonight tasted OK but the texture was definately wrong as they
> were too thick/doughy.
>
> I'd appreciate any hints anyone can offer!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kiwanda

I can't offer any help but, WOW!, these sound wonderful. Posting your
recipe for the "pancake" would help others help you. Posting more
information/recipes for the filling would make me happy.

Pam

Mr Libido Incognito

pjjehg wrote on 16 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> "Kiwanda"wrote ...
> > Folks-
> >
> > I tried making Banh Xeo for the first time tonight and the result
> > wasn't quite what I'd hoped for. I think I made the batter too thick,
> > and perhaps didn't have enough oil in the pan...at any rate the
> > pancake came out about as thick as a "regular" western pancake. When
> > I've had Banh Xeo in resturants it's been more like a crepe and
> > crispy. Is there a secret technique to making these right? Do I just
> > need to cook them in a wok with a lot of oil, rather than trying to
> > use a skillet?
> >
> > For those that may not be familiar with "Banh Xeo," it is often
> > listed as "happy pancake" or "Hanoi pancake" on Vietnamese resturaunt
> > menus. It's a thin, crispy pancake made of rice flour and coconut
> > milk, filled with shrimp, pork, bean sprouts, etc. and eaten wrapped
> > in lettuce with nuoc cham. They are *really* delicious...the ones I
> > made tonight tasted OK but the texture was definately wrong as they
> > were too thick/doughy.
> >
> > I'd appreciate any hints anyone can offer!
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Kiwanda

> I can't offer any help but, WOW!, these sound wonderful. Posting your
> recipe for the "pancake" would help others help you. Posting more
> information/recipes for the filling would make me happy.
>
> Pam

Perhaps like french crepes the secret lies in letting the batter rest for
a while.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Joseph Littleshoes

Kiwanda wrote:

> Folks-
>
> I tried making Banh Xeo for the first time tonight and the result
> wasn't quite what I'd hoped for. I think I made the batter too thick,
> and perhaps didn't have enough oil in the pan...at any rate the
> pancake came out about as thick as a "regular" western pancake. When
> I've had Banh Xeo in resturants it's been more like a crepe and
> crispy. Is there a secret technique to making these right? Do I just
> need to cook them in a wok with a lot of oil, rather than trying to
> use a skillet?

I do not know if this will be of interest to you but upon reading your
post i was immediately reminded of a Philippine 'wrapper' that is made
with rice flour & water "mixed to a fluid paste the consistency of heavy
cream." I do not see why you could not add some coconut to this.

The actual cooking technique may be of special interest.

Lumpia wrappers
--------------------

2 cups rice flour

2 cups cold water

vegetable oil for frying

Combine the flour and water in a bowl and stir vigorously until they
form a smooth, fluid paste with the consistency of heavy cream.

Set a heavy 8 inch skillet, preferably one with a non - stick cooking
surface, over moderate heat for about 30 seconds. Dip a pastry brush in
the vegetable oil and spread a light film of oil evenly over the bottom
and sides of the pan. Then immerse the tip of a 2 inch wide brush in
the flour paste and, with 5 or 6 slightly overlapping strokes, cover the
entire bottom of the pan with a thin sheet of the paste. Cook the
pastry for a few seconds until it begins to curl away from the edges of
the pan. Immediately lift the wrapper out with your fingers and
transfer it to a strip of lightly floured wax paper.

Brush the skillet with oil again and cook the next wrapper in the same
fashion. Repeat until all of the paste is used, oiling the pan lightly
before making each wrapper. The wrappers may be stacked one on top of
the other, floured side down, then covered with foil or plastic wrap
and kept at room temperature for not more than 2 hours.

Makes about 24 eight inch round wrappers.
---
Joseph Littleshoes

> For those that may not be familiar with "Banh Xeo," it is often
> listed as "happy pancake" or "Hanoi pancake" on Vietnamese resturaunt
> menus. It's a thin, crispy pancake made of rice flour and coconut
> milk, filled with shrimp, pork, bean sprouts, etc. and eaten wrapped
> in lettuce with nuoc cham. They are *really* delicious...the ones I
> made tonight tasted OK but the texture was definately wrong as they
> were too thick/doughy.
>
> I'd appreciate any hints anyone can offer!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kiwanda

Kate Connally

Kiwanda wrote:

> Folks-
>
> I tried making Banh Xeo for the first time tonight and the result
> wasn't quite what I'd hoped for. I think I made the batter too thick,
> and perhaps didn't have enough oil in the pan...at any rate the
> pancake came out about as thick as a "regular" western pancake. When
> I've had Banh Xeo in resturants it's been more like a crepe and
> crispy. Is there a secret technique to making these right? Do I just
> need to cook them in a wok with a lot of oil, rather than trying to
> use a skillet?
>
> For those that may not be familiar with "Banh Xeo," it is often
> listed as "happy pancake" or "Hanoi pancake" on Vietnamese resturaunt
> menus. It's a thin, crispy pancake made of rice flour and coconut
> milk, filled with shrimp, pork, bean sprouts, etc. and eaten wrapped
> in lettuce with nuoc cham. They are *really* delicious...the ones I
> made tonight tasted OK but the texture was definately wrong as they
> were too thick/doughy.
>
> I'd appreciate any hints anyone can offer!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kiwanda

The Banh Xeo I've had are fairly thick - maybe 1/4" or
so, not counting the larger lumps of chicken and
shrimp, etc. - and are still fairly crisp on the outside.
I've never seen one as thin as a crepe. I love the
ones I've had. They're one of my favorite Vietnamese
dishes and not all the easy to find around here. :-(

I have several recipes to try but haven't gotten around
to it get. One of these days . . . !

Kate

George

Kate Connally wrote:

> The Banh Xeo I've had are fairly thick - maybe 1/4" or
> so, not counting the larger lumps of chicken and
> shrimp, etc. - and are still fairly crisp on the outside.
> I've never seen one as thin as a crepe. I love the
> ones I've had. They're one of my favorite Vietnamese
> dishes and not all the easy to find around here. :-(

Similar experience here. The ones I have had are fairly thick and also
can't be found in my area.

> I have several recipes to try but haven't gotten around
> to it get. One of these days . . . !
>
> Kate

Kiwanda

Kate Connally > wrote in
:

> The Banh Xeo I've had are fairly thick - maybe 1/4" or
> so, not counting the larger lumps of chicken and
> shrimp, etc. - and are still fairly crisp on the outside.
> I've never seen one as thin as a crepe. I love the
> ones I've had. They're one of my favorite Vietnamese
> dishes and not all the easy to find around here. :-(

From what my cookbooks say, there are also many variations in Banh
Xeo, esp. north/south regional cuisines. Unfortunatly, most of the SE
Asians in my community are Hmong and apparently don't make Banh Xeo--
we have two Vietnamese resturants here but neither serves it. I've
got several different recipes, the better sounding ones being mostly
coconut milk and rice flour, though some use water and wheat flour as
well. I found two different brands of packaged mix at the Asian
grocery too, so will give them a shot as well.

Thanks for the suggestions folks. "Crepe" is certainly too thin I
think, but what I made the first time was way too doughy, even if it
did taste OK. Guess I'll just have to keep trying, in between all the
Thai dishes I want to make-- we've been making Thai spring rolls,
Vietnamese spring rolls, and Vietnamese "salad rolls" in heavy
rotation lately. My fav is the Thai roll but eaten Vietnamese-style,
wrapped in lettuce with nuoc cham. Yummy!

Best,

Kiwanda
pjjehg

"Kiwanda" wrote
> Kate Connally wrote:
>>
>> The Banh Xeo I've had are fairly thick - maybe 1/4" or
>> so, not counting the larger lumps of chicken and
>> shrimp, etc. - and are still fairly crisp on the outside.
>> I've never seen one as thin as a crepe. I love the
>> ones I've had. They're one of my favorite Vietnamese
>> dishes and not all the easy to find around here. :-(

> From what my cookbooks say, there are also many variations in Banh
> Xeo, esp. north/south regional cuisines. Unfortunatly, most of the SE
> Asians in my community are Hmong and apparently don't make Banh Xeo--
> we have two Vietnamese resturants here but neither serves it. I've
> got several different recipes, the better sounding ones being mostly
> coconut milk and rice flour, though some use water and wheat flour as
> well. I found two different brands of packaged mix at the Asian
> grocery too, so will give them a shot as well.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions folks. "Crepe" is certainly too thin I
> think, but what I made the first time was way too doughy, even if it
> did taste OK. Guess I'll just have to keep trying, in between all the
> Thai dishes I want to make-- we've been making Thai spring rolls,
> Vietnamese spring rolls, and Vietnamese "salad rolls" in heavy
> rotation lately. My fav is the Thai roll but eaten Vietnamese-style,
> wrapped in lettuce with nuoc cham. Yummy!
>
> Best,
>
> Kiwanda

You know, peoples, some of us others really might like to see some recipes
here. You all talk about this incredibly tasty stuff, asking for help as it
were, and then you all just wave goodbye! THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE! Oh,
sorry for yelling, not!

Pam

Mite

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> I do not know if this will be of interest to you but upon reading your
> post i was immediately reminded of a Philippine 'wrapper' that is made
> with rice flour & water "mixed to a fluid paste the consistency of heavy
> cream." I do not see why you could not add some coconut to this.
>
> The actual cooking technique may be of special interest.
>
> Lumpia wrappers
> --------------------
>
> 2 cups rice flour
>
> 2 cups cold water
>
> vegetable oil for frying
>
> Combine the flour and water in a bowl and stir vigorously until they
> form a smooth, fluid paste with the consistency of heavy cream.
>
> Set a heavy 8 inch skillet, preferably one with a non - stick cooking
> surface, over moderate heat for about 30 seconds. Dip a pastry brush in
> the vegetable oil and spread a light film of oil evenly over the bottom
> and sides of the pan. Then immerse the tip of a 2 inch wide brush in
> the flour paste and, with 5 or 6 slightly overlapping strokes, cover the
> entire bottom of the pan with a thin sheet of the paste. Cook the
> pastry for a few seconds until it begins to curl away from the edges of
> the pan. Immediately lift the wrapper out with your fingers and
> transfer it to a strip of lightly floured wax paper.
>
> Brush the skillet with oil again and cook the next wrapper in the same
> fashion. Repeat until all of the paste is used, oiling the pan lightly
> before making each wrapper. The wrappers may be stacked one on top of
> the other, floured side down, then covered with foil or plastic wrap
> and kept at room temperature for not more than 2 hours.
>
> Makes about 24 eight inch round wrappers.
> ---
> Joseph Littleshoes

I would like to try to make Lumpia wrappers - I have been looking for
recipes that use rice flour. Could you please post some recipes for the
filling and explain how they are eaten?

Mite
http://www.shopncook.com
Shop'NCook - Grocery shopping and recipe organizer

Mite

Kiwanda wrote:

> Folks-
>
> I tried making Banh Xeo for the first time tonight and the result
> wasn't quite what I'd hoped for. I think I made the batter too thick,
> and perhaps didn't have enough oil in the pan...at any rate the
> pancake came out about as thick as a "regular" western pancake. When
> I've had Banh Xeo in resturants it's been more like a crepe and
> crispy. Is there a secret technique to making these right? Do I just
> need to cook them in a wok with a lot of oil, rather than trying to
> use a skillet?
>
> For those that may not be familiar with "Banh Xeo," it is often
> listed as "happy pancake" or "Hanoi pancake" on Vietnamese resturaunt
> menus. It's a thin, crispy pancake made of rice flour and coconut
> milk, filled with shrimp, pork, bean sprouts, etc. and eaten wrapped
> in lettuce with nuoc cham. They are *really* delicious...the ones I
> made tonight tasted OK but the texture was definately wrong as they
> were too thick/doughy.
>
> I'd appreciate any hints anyone can offer!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kiwanda

I don't know anything about Banh Xeo or Vietnamese cooking, but I have
been experimenting lately with rice flour (for Persian and Japanese
cooking). Could it be that you are not using the good type of flour?
There are as many types of rice flour as there are types of rice - more
in fact since the rice can be grounded in different ways. The wrong
type of flour will affect radically the texture. Maybe you should get
some Vietnamese rice flour if you haven't.

Mite
http://www.shopncook.com
Shop'NCook - Grocery shopping and recipe organizer

Joseph Littleshoes

Mite wrote:

> Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
>
> > I do not know if this will be of interest to you but upon reading

> your
> > post i was immediately reminded of a Philippine 'wrapper' that is

> made
> > with rice flour & water "mixed to a fluid paste the consistency of

> heavy
> > cream." I do not see why you could not add some coconut to this.
> >
> > The actual cooking technique may be of special interest.
> >
> > Lumpia wrappers
> > --------------------
> >
> > 2 cups rice flour
> >
> > 2 cups cold water
> >
> > vegetable oil for frying
> >
> > Combine the flour and water in a bowl and stir vigorously until they

> > form a smooth, fluid paste with the consistency of heavy cream.
> >
> > Set a heavy 8 inch skillet, preferably one with a non - stick

> cooking
> > surface, over moderate heat for about 30 seconds. Dip a pastry

> brush in
> > the vegetable oil and spread a light film of oil evenly over the

> bottom
> > and sides of the pan. Then immerse the tip of a 2 inch wide brush

> in
> > the flour paste and, with 5 or 6 slightly overlapping strokes, cover

> the
> > entire bottom of the pan with a thin sheet of the paste. Cook the
> > pastry for a few seconds until it begins to curl away from the edges

> of
> > the pan. Immediately lift the wrapper out with your fingers and
> > transfer it to a strip of lightly floured wax paper.
> >
> > Brush the skillet with oil again and cook the next wrapper in the

> same
> > fashion. Repeat until all of the paste is used, oiling the pan

> lightly
> > before making each wrapper. The wrappers may be stacked one on top

> of
> > the other, floured side down, then covered with foil or plastic

> wrap
> > and kept at room temperature for not more than 2 hours.
> >
> > Makes about 24 eight inch round wrappers.
> > ---
> > Joseph Littleshoes
> >

> I would like to try to make Lumpia wrappers - I have been looking for
> recipes that use rice flour. Could you please post some recipes for
> the
> filling and explain how they are eaten?

The Lumpia recipe i have calls for a combination of chicken, pork &
vegetables all cooked separately and then mixed together to form a
filling for the wrapper.

Onions, celery, bay leaf, cabbage, garlic, string beans, bean sprouts,
hearts of palm & soy sauce are also included.

Sweet soy sauce or a garlic sauce are commonly served with the Lumpia.

The actual recipe is quite long and complex and involves cooking of the
various ingredients separately, using the water from the cooking of the
meats to cook the veggies then browning the meat with other veggies and
then assembling in a wrapper and deep frying for 2 minutes.

I have never followed the recipe precisely. I make the wrappers as
described above then use what ever meats and veggies that are to hand,
diced and sautéed till al dente, then used to fill the wrapper much as
one would a Mexican burrito, tucking the ends in and rolling it up.
They can then be placed in an oven or microwave to warm through rather
than deep frying.

They are supposedly a version of the Chinese egg role and eaten
accordingly but also have a Spanish influence in the various
combinations of ingredients that are used in the stuffing.

If i have the time i will try to transcribe the entire recipe.
--
JL

> Mite
> http://www.shopncook.com
> Shop'NCook - Grocery shopping and recipe organizer

Mite

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> Mite wrote:
>
> > I would like to try to make Lumpia wrappers - I have been looking for
> > recipes that use rice flour. Could you please post some recipes for
> > the
> > filling and explain how they are eaten?

> The Lumpia recipe i have calls for a combination of chicken, pork &
> vegetables all cooked separately and then mixed together to form a
> filling for the wrapper.
>
> Onions, celery, bay leaf, cabbage, garlic, string beans, bean sprouts,
> hearts of palm & soy sauce are also included.
>
> Sweet soy sauce or a garlic sauce are commonly served with the Lumpia.
>
> The actual recipe is quite long and complex and involves cooking of the
> various ingredients separately, using the water from the cooking of the
> meats to cook the veggies then browning the meat with other veggies and
> then assembling in a wrapper and deep frying for 2 minutes.
>
> I have never followed the recipe precisely. I make the wrappers as
> described above then use what ever meats and veggies that are to hand,
> diced and saut=E9ed till al dente, then used to fill the wrapper much as
> one would a Mexican burrito, tucking the ends in and rolling it up.
> They can then be placed in an oven or microwave to warm through rather
> than deep frying.
>
> They are supposedly a version of the Chinese egg role and eaten
> accordingly but also have a Spanish influence in the various
> combinations of ingredients that are used in the stuffing.
>
> If i have the time i will try to transcribe the entire recipe.
> --
> JL
>

> > Mite
> > http://www.shopncook.com
> > Shop'NCook - Grocery shopping and recipe organizer

Thank you for the explanations. I would be interested to see the
complete recipe, but only for curiosity sake. If it is very labor
intensive, it is more likely I will use your shortcut to make the
filling.

Mite
http://www.shopncook.com
Shop'NCook - Grocery shopping and recipe organizer

Joseph Littleshoes

Lumpia----------

> > I have never followed the recipe precisely. I make the wrappers as
> > described above then use what ever meats and veggies that are to

> hand,
> > diced and sautéed till al dente, then used to fill the wrapper much

> as
> > one would a Mexican burrito, tucking the ends in and rolling it up.
> > They can then be placed in an oven or microwave to warm through

> rather
> > than deep frying.
> >
> > They are supposedly a version of the Chinese egg role and eaten
> > accordingly but also have a Spanish influence in the various
> > combinations of ingredients that are used in the stuffing.
> >
> > If i have the time i will try to transcribe the entire recipe.
> > --
> > JL

> Thank you for the explanations. I would be interested to see the
> complete recipe, but only for curiosity sake. If it is very labor
> intensive, it is more likely I will use your shortcut to make the
> filling.
>
> Mite

The "wrapper" is different than, but it is essentially a "burrito" a
"Food" wrapped up in "Bread" ( Oh HOrrors! a sandwich!) and eaten with
ones hands rather than a knife and fork.

I am surprised the alt.food.asian X posting did not elicit a comment, i
wonder if it is an active group?

Or perhaps i am so far off from on what is Philippine food that it is
not worth comment?
---
JL