Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Getting a Whole Cheesecake Off a Springform Base

What's the best method for getting a cheesecake off the base of a
springform pan and onto something that allows slicing? My springform pan
is a nonstick version and it's in immaculate condition. I don't want the
cutting instrument to scratch the pan base, and I'm not sure a plastic
cutting tool will be thin enough to cut it gracefully.

This is my second time making the cheesecake at this link...

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/chanta...ke/Detail.aspx

....and I tell you it's amazing. Also the first comment, the one that
starts with...

OK - I don't want to be rude, but this is the deal: this is a
perfect recipe, and if it fails...

....was a great help. I had cheesecake perfection the first time, and I
feel like this one will be even better, but I would like to get the
cheesecake onto some kind of serving plate without creating a localized
cheesequake. The springform base is recessed about an eighth of an inch
where the graham cracker crust is, and the cream cheese part comes up to
about 3/8" below the rim of the pan. I feel like it's going to be nearly
impossible to get it out of there as a whole piece without doing some kind
of damage to it.

This is being made for Thanksgiving tomorrow. It's setting up in the oven
for the next seven hours or so and will be ready to come out at 1:15am.
Then I'll move it to the fridge to chill, and by sometime tomorrow
afternoon, which is about when we'll be having lunch, it should be chilled
all the way through and settled perfectly.

After baking it looked absolutely fantastic. I can't wait to see how it
turns out. If the method looks too dangerous, I may just serve it off the
springform base this time since about seven people will see it tomorrow,
then make another one sometime to practice on. I'm not opposed to eating
cheesecake casserole, but I want tomorrow's version to be perfect.

Thanks,
Damaeus
--
"Marijuana inflames the erotic impulses and leads to revolting sex
crimes"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damaeus > wrote in
:

> What's the best method for getting a cheesecake off the base of a
> springform pan and onto something that allows slicing?

You're screwed.

You should have asked *BEFORE* you made the cheesecake and put it in the
oven.

Use a knife to slice it, then next time you use your springform pan, use
baking paper on the base.

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 24, 6:46*pm, Damaeus > wrote:
> What's the best method for getting a cheesecake off the base of a
> springform pan and onto something that allows slicing? *My springform pan
> is a nonstick version and it's in immaculate condition. *I don't want the
> cutting instrument to scratch the pan base, and I'm not sure a plastic
> cutting tool will be thin enough to cut it gracefully.
>
> This is my second time making the cheesecake at this link...
>
> http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/chanta...ke/Detail.aspx
>
> ...and I tell you it's amazing. *Also the first comment, the one that
> starts with...
>
> * * *OK - I don't want to be rude, but this is the deal: this is a
> * * *perfect recipe, and if it fails...
>
> ...was a great help. *I had cheesecake perfection the first time, and I
> feel like this one will be even better, but I would like to get the
> cheesecake onto some kind of serving plate without creating a localized
> cheesequake. *The springform base is recessed about an eighth of an inch
> where the graham cracker crust is, and the cream cheese part comes up to
> about 3/8" below the rim of the pan. *I feel like it's going to be nearly
> impossible to get it out of there as a whole piece without doing some kind
> of damage to it.
>
> This is being made for Thanksgiving tomorrow. *It's setting up in the oven
> for the next seven hours or so and will be ready to come out at 1:15am.
> Then I'll move it to the fridge to chill, and by sometime tomorrow
> afternoon, which is about when we'll be having lunch, it should be chilled
> all the way through and settled perfectly.
>
> After baking it looked absolutely fantastic. *I can't wait to see how it
> turns out. *If the method looks too dangerous, I may just serve it off the
> springform base this time since about seven people will see it tomorrow,
> then make another one sometime to practice on. *I'm not opposed to eating
> cheesecake casserole, but I want tomorrow's version to be perfect.
>
> Thanks,
> Damaeus
> --
> "Marijuana inflames the erotic impulses and leads to revolting sex
> crimes"
> -Daily Mirror (1924)

Can't you slide a flat, long spreader under it and jar it loose?
Next time, use was paper or parchment maybe? I'd just remove the base
from the spring side and serve it right off the metal base. Who will
care?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Nov 24, 3:46*pm, Damaeus > wrote:

Just leave the cheesecake on the metal base of the spring form pan.
Put it on a pretty plate with a nice paper doily or something. No one
will even notice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 24, 6:29*pm, "Paco" > wrote:
> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message

> > On Nov 24, 3:46 pm, Damaeus > wrote:

> > Just leave the cheesecake on the metal base of the spring form pan.
> > Put it on a pretty plate with a nice paper doily or something. *No one
> > will even notice.

> He is concerned about damaging the non stick surface.

Because it'sd already made on the non-stick pan base, I would try
leaving the base on, then cut your servings with a water-heated and
dried knife in a rocking motion (rather than sawing). The I'd
carefully wiggle-slide the thinest serving blade (of whatever sort)
possible under each slice as served.
When it's still refer-cold you may be able towrap your hands around it
to "pull" the whole cake off the base, and directly onto your serving
plate provided your base is very good non-stick. Then for each of
your next times, be sure to well spray your pan as well as use a
parchment roound over the bottom spray.
....Picky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paco" > wrote in
:

> Although the OP didn't state if it had a crust or not,

Yes, he did.

"The springform base is recessed about an eighth of an inch
where the graham cracker crust is, and the cream cheese part comes up to
about 3/8" below the rim of the pan"

He also posted the recipe...........

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/chanta...ke/Detail.aspx

Ingredients

* 15 graham crackers, crushed
* 2 tablespoons butter, melted
*
* 4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
* 1 1/2 cups white sugar
* 3/4 cup milk
* 4 eggs
* 1 cup sour cream
* 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9 inch
springform pan.
2. In a medium bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs with melted butter.
Press onto bottom of springform pan.
3. In a large bowl, mix cream cheese with sugar until smooth. Blend in
milk, and then mix in the eggs one at a time, mixing just enough to
incorporate. Mix in sour cream, vanilla and flour until smooth. Pour
filling into prepared crust.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour. Turn the oven off, and let cake
cool in oven with the door closed for 5 to 6 hours; this prevents
cracking. Chill in refrigerator until serving.

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paco" > wrote in :

> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message
>> On Nov 24, 3:46 pm, Damaeus > wrote:
>>
>> Just leave the cheesecake on the metal base of the spring form pan.
>> Put it on a pretty plate with a nice paper doily or something. No one
>> will even notice.

> He is concerned about damaging the non stick surface.

Well, he should have thought of that before he made it.

Too bad, soo sad. He'll learn from this 'mistake' and will know better next
time.

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damaeus" > wrote in message
> What's the best method for getting a cheesecake off the base of a
> springform pan and onto something that allows slicing? My springform pan
> is a nonstick version and it's in immaculate condition. I don't want the
> cutting instrument to scratch the pan base, and I'm not sure a plastic
> cutting tool will be thin enough to cut it gracefully.
>
> This is my second time making the cheesecake at this link...
>
> http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/chanta...ke/Detail.aspx
>
> ...and I tell you it's amazing. Also the first comment, the one that
> starts with...
>
> OK - I don't want to be rude, but this is the deal: this is a
> perfect recipe, and if it fails...
>
> ...was a great help. I had cheesecake perfection the first time, and I
> feel like this one will be even better, but I would like to get the
> cheesecake onto some kind of serving plate without creating a localized
> cheesequake. The springform base is recessed about an eighth of an inch
> where the graham cracker crust is, and the cream cheese part comes up to
> about 3/8" below the rim of the pan. I feel like it's going to be nearly
> impossible to get it out of there as a whole piece without doing some kind
> of damage to it.
>
> This is being made for Thanksgiving tomorrow. It's setting up in the oven
> for the next seven hours or so and will be ready to come out at 1:15am.
> Then I'll move it to the fridge to chill, and by sometime tomorrow
> afternoon, which is about when we'll be having lunch, it should be chilled
> all the way through and settled perfectly.
>
> After baking it looked absolutely fantastic. I can't wait to see how it
> turns out. If the method looks too dangerous, I may just serve it off the
> springform base this time since about seven people will see it tomorrow,
> then make another one sometime to practice on. I'm not opposed to eating
> cheesecake casserole, but I want tomorrow's version to be perfect.
>
> Thanks,
> Damaeus

Make it stiff enough for the transfer by wrapping pan in foil and place in
freezer till partly frozen.

Robert

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Aussie" > wrote in message
5...
> "Paco" > wrote in
> :
>

>> Although the OP didn't state if it had a crust or not,

> Yes, he did.
>

> "The springform base is recessed about an eighth of an inch
> where the graham cracker crust is, and the cream cheese part comes up to
> about 3/8" below the rim of the pan"
>
> He also posted the recipe...........
>
> http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/chanta...ke/Detail.aspx

<snip recipe>

> Peter Lucas
> Hobart
> Tasmania

You are absolutely correct. My bad. I stopped reading his post at the
recipe link (and didn't check out the recipe) and thought the same as you,
he should have thought it through beforehand. The OP isn't one of my
favorite posters, due to his "antics" the last he was here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
ster.com...

> Paco wrote:
>>
>> "Pete C." > wrote in message
>> ster.com...

>> > Cheesecake doesn't have a crust, that's why you use a springform pan.
>> > Parchment on the bottom helps a lot, but even with it I've had
>> > difficulties. Two layers of parchment and/or making the parchment come
>> > up the side of the pan slightly helps.

>> Although the OP didn't state if it had a crust or not, many cheesecake
>> recipes call for crushed graham crackers or ginger snaps, mixed with
>> melted
>> butter & brown sugar, for a crust.

> "cheeseCAKE"
>
> Pie = crust
> Cake = no crust

"Boston Cream PIE"?

You're just being persnickety because the recipe title refers to "that
festering cesspool of humanity", New York City.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paco" > wrote in
:

> You are absolutely correct.

As I usually am :-)

> My bad. I stopped reading his post at
> the recipe link (and didn't check out the recipe) and thought the same
> as you, he should have thought it through beforehand. The OP isn't
> one of my favorite posters, due to his "antics" the last he was here.

Didn't see him the last time.

--
_________

Peter
Hobart
Tasmania
Australia

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it is safer
to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, "Paco" > posted on Thu, 25 Nov
2010 02:35:07 -0500 the following:

> You are absolutely correct. My bad. I stopped reading his post at the
> recipe link (and didn't check out the recipe) and thought the same as you,
> he should have thought it through beforehand. The OP isn't one of my
> favorite posters, due to his "antics" the last he was here.

My antics were stating what I believe and doing unto others as it seems
they are doing unto me. I'm sorry you found that offensive.

Damaeus
--
"Marijuana inflames the erotic impulses and leads to revolting sex
crimes"
-Daily Mirror (1924)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, "Pete C." > posted on Wed,
24 Nov 2010 20:02:42 -0600 the following:

> Cheesecake doesn't have a crust, that's why you use a springform pan.
> Parchment on the bottom helps a lot, but even with it I've had
> difficulties. Two layers of parchment and/or making the parchment come
> up the side of the pan slightly helps.

I would see if I could get the parchment to extend outside the springform
pan, then when I remove the tube, I would hopefully have one sheet. The
only problem is that the springform pan makes a pretty tight seal as it
is, and I'm not sure if it would seat properly if parchment paper was set
up that way. Plus there's the water bath to consider, and wrapping the
whole assembly in foil could just turn out to make a big mess.

Damaeus
--
"Marijuana inflames the erotic impulses and leads to revolting sex
crimes"
-Daily Mirror (1924)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, Wayne Boatwright >
posted on 25 Nov 2010 04:25:04 GMT the following:

> If it hasn't been suggested before, use a length of waxed dental floss
> to cut all the pieces of cheesecake. Wrap the ends of the floss around
> your fingers the same as if you were going to floss your teeth. Press
> the floss across the whole cheesecake all the way down to the bottom.
> When you cut all the way to the bottom, pull the length of floss all
> the way out of the cheesecake. Do not try to pull the floss upwards.
> Repeat cuts all the around the cake. Using floss gives you the most
> perfect slices.

Using cinnamon-flavored dental floss might give the cheesecake that final
magic touch.

Damaeus
--
"Marijuana inflames the erotic impulses and leads to revolting sex
crimes"
-Daily Mirror (1924)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, Wayne Boatwright >
posted on 25 Nov 2010 04:25:04 GMT the following:

> If it hasn't been suggested before, use a length of waxed dental floss
> to cut all the pieces of cheesecake. Wrap the ends of the floss around
> your fingers the same as if you were going to floss your teeth. Press
> the floss across the whole cheesecake all the way down to the bottom.
> When you cut all the way to the bottom, pull the length of floss all
> the way out of the cheesecake. Do not try to pull the floss upwards.
> Repeat cuts all the around the cake. Using floss gives you the most
> perfect slices.

That sounds fantastic. I'll use that method. I've got a plastic pie
server that'll complement the floss.

Damaeus
--
"Marijuana inflames the erotic impulses and leads to revolting sex
crimes"
-Daily Mirror (1924)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 06:35:58 -0600, Damaeus
> wrote:

> In news:rec.food.cooking, Wayne Boatwright >
> posted on 25 Nov 2010 04:25:04 GMT the following:
>
> > If it hasn't been suggested before, use a length of waxed dental floss
> > to cut all the pieces of cheesecake. Wrap the ends of the floss around
> > your fingers the same as if you were going to floss your teeth. Press
> > the floss across the whole cheesecake all the way down to the bottom.
> > When you cut all the way to the bottom, pull the length of floss all
> > the way out of the cheesecake. Do not try to pull the floss upwards.
> > Repeat cuts all the around the cake. Using floss gives you the most
> > perfect slices.

> Using cinnamon-flavored dental floss might give the cheesecake that final
> magic touch.

Actually, dental floss is a good idea. We buy a bakery cheesecake
that is like angel food only it's some kind of cheese instead of flour
and the package has a length of fishing twine on it to use for cutting
because a knife is too messy and could possibly squish it.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paco wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote in message
> ster.com...
> >
> > Paco wrote:
> >>
> >> "Pete C." > wrote in message
> >> ster.com...

> >> Although the OP didn't state if it had a crust or not, many cheesecake
> >> recipes call for crushed graham crackers or ginger snaps, mixed with
> >> melted
> >> butter & brown sugar, for a crust.

> > "cheeseCAKE"
> >
> > Pie = crust
> > Cake = no crust

> "Boston Cream PIE"?

What does an incorrectly named cake have to do with things?

> You're just being persnickety because the recipe title refers to "that
> festering cesspool of humanity", New York City.

Nope, it doesn't matter where it's from, cheesecake does not have a
crust. Indeed I just baked a proper crust free cheesecake last night.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damaeus wrote:

> I would see if I could get the parchment to extend outside the springform
> pan, then when I remove the tube, I would hopefully have one sheet. The
> only problem is that the springform pan makes a pretty tight seal as it
> is, and I'm not sure if it would seat properly if parchment paper was set
> up that way. Plus there's the water bath to consider, and wrapping the
> whole assembly in foil could just turn out to make a big mess.
>
> Damaeus

Research how to take a sheet of parchment and fold it up and cut it so
that it turns in to a circle to fit the bottom of the pan. It is a cool
baking trick to know.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . 14>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Thu 25 Nov 2010 11:09:38a, Pete C. told us...

> >> "Boston Cream PIE"?

> > What does an incorrectly named cake have to do with things?

> That's pure bullshit. The vast majority of cheesecakes from
> virtually everywhere have some type of crust, whether it be crumb,
> pastry, or shortbread, etc.

Just for Pete's benefit, we're having a pumpkin cheesepie after our
Thanksgiving dinner. We'll see what else there is. I'll let you know.
No cakes in the past.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 25 Nov 2010 11:09:38a, Pete C. told us...
>

>> Paco wrote:
>>>
>>> "Pete > wrote in message
>>> ster.com...

>>> "Boston Cream PIE"?

>> What does an incorrectly named cake have to do with things?
>>

>>> You're just being persnickety because the recipe title refers to
>>> "that festering cesspool of humanity", New York City.

>> Nope, it doesn't matter where it's from, cheesecake does not have
>> a crust. Indeed I just baked a proper crust free cheesecake last
>> night.
>>

> That's pure bullshit. The vast majority of cheesecakes from
> virtually everywhere have some type of crust, whether it be crumb,
> pastry, or shortbread, etc.
>
> Just because *some* cheesecakes have no crust is irrelevant.

You know he likes to argue about cheesecake....

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 25 Nov 2010 11:09:38a, Pete C. told us...
>

> > Paco wrote:
> >>
> >> "Pete C." > wrote in message
> >> ster.com...

> >> "Boston Cream PIE"?

> > What does an incorrectly named cake have to do with things?
> >

> >> You're just being persnickety because the recipe title refers to
> >> "that festering cesspool of humanity", New York City.

> > Nope, it doesn't matter where it's from, cheesecake does not have
> > a crust. Indeed I just baked a proper crust free cheesecake last
> > night.
> >

> That's pure bullshit. The vast majority of cheesecakes from
> virtually everywhere have some type of crust, whether it be crumb,
> pastry, or shortbread, etc.

Quantity does not equate to legitimacy.

> Just because *some* cheesecakes have no crust is irrelevant.

Just because *some* people improperly put crusts on their attempts at
making cheesecake does not make it correct.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> In article . 14>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
> > On Thu 25 Nov 2010 11:09:38a, Pete C. told us...

> > > What does an incorrectly named cake have to do with things?

> > That's pure bullshit. The vast majority of cheesecakes from
> > virtually everywhere have some type of crust, whether it be crumb,
> > pastry, or shortbread, etc.

> Just for Pete's benefit, we're having a pumpkin cheesepie after our
> Thanksgiving dinner. We'll see what else there is. I'll let you know.
> No cakes in the past.

Well there you go, hopefully it will be good. I never add any flavors to
my cheesecake, I prefer to provide a couple different toppings on the
side for people to choose from if they want toppings.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damaeus wrote:

> In news:rec.food.cooking, "Pete C." > posted on Wed,
> 24 Nov 2010 20:02:42 -0600 the following:
>
> > Cheesecake doesn't have a crust, that's why you use a springform pan.
> > Parchment on the bottom helps a lot, but even with it I've had
> > difficulties. Two layers of parchment and/or making the parchment come
> > up the side of the pan slightly helps.

> I would see if I could get the parchment to extend outside the springform
> pan, then when I remove the tube, I would hopefully have one sheet. The
> only problem is that the springform pan makes a pretty tight seal as it
> is, and I'm not sure if it would seat properly if parchment paper was set
> up that way. Plus there's the water bath to consider, and wrapping the
> whole assembly in foil could just turn out to make a big mess.

Water bath??? For a cheesecake??? I've never heard of that in any
cheesecake recipe, even the screwy ones that use a crust. Are you baking
cheesecake or a creme brulee???
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 11:28:28 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

> No cakes in the past.

I had Boston Cream cheesecake today... I have no idea if this is the
recipe or not, but it looked pretty much like this (and it was yummy)
http://hubpages.com/hub/Boston-Cream-Cheesecake

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 25 Nov 2010 06:48:55p, Pete C. told us...
>

> > Damaeus wrote:
> >>
> >> In news:rec.food.cooking, "Pete C." > posted
> >> on Wed, 24 Nov 2010 20:02:42 -0600 the following:

> >> I would see if I could get the parchment to extend outside the
> >> springform pan, then when I remove the tube, I would hopefully
> >> have one sheet. The only problem is that the springform pan
> >> makes a pretty tight seal as it is, and I'm not sure if it would
> >> seat properly if parchment paper was set up that way. Plus
> >> there's the water bath to consider, and wrapping the whole
> >> assembly in foil could just turn out to make a big mess.

> > Water bath??? For a cheesecake??? I've never heard of that in any
> > cheesecake recipe, even the screwy ones that use a crust. Are you
> > baking cheesecake or a creme brulee???
> >

> Apparently there's a lot that you *don't* know about cheesecake.
> There are many cheesecake recipes that call for baking them in a
> water bath.
>
> You might want to read this short article:
>
> <http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index....ingtips.cheese
> cakes/Cheesecakes.cfm>
>
> You really should pick up a book entitled "Joy of Cheesecake" by
> Bovbjerg & Iggers. It would truly broaden your knowledge, if not
> your opinion.

The cheesecake recipe I use has proven to be superior to pretty much
every cheesecake I have tried, and I've tried quite a few, so I don't
need to spend time investigating inferior recipes for something I
already have the perfect recipe for. I'll spend my time searching out
recipes for new items I haven't tried or haven't found the perfect
version of.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

My pumpkin cheesecake was made in a springform pan with a non-stick
coating on the bottom.

I put the cake with the bottom still under it in a pretty, glass footed
cake server with a dome lid. When it came time to serve it, I used a
pie server and had no problems removing the slices without scratching
the no-stick disk on the bottom.

If the cheesecake has a crust, which mine did, letting it sit in the
holder outside of the fridge for 15 minutes or so, the butter in the
crust softens enough to make the slices slide off the bottom of the pan.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 25, 5:48*pm, "Pete C." > wrote:
> Damaeus wrote:
>
> > In news:rec.food.cooking, "Pete C." > posted on Wed,
> > 24 Nov 2010 20:02:42 -0600 the following:

> > > Cheesecake doesn't have a crust, that's why you use a springform pan.
> > > Parchment on the bottom helps a lot, but even with it I've had
> > > difficulties. Two layers of parchment and/or making the parchment come
> > > up the side of the pan slightly helps.

> > I would see if I could get the parchment to extend outside the springform
> > pan, then when I remove the tube, I would hopefully have one sheet. *The
> > only problem is that the springform pan makes a pretty tight seal as it
> > is, and I'm not sure if it would seat properly if parchment paper was set
> > up that way. *Plus there's the water bath to consider, and wrapping the
> > whole assembly in foil could just turn out to make a big mess.

> Water bath??? For a cheesecake??? I've never heard of that in any
> cheesecake recipe, even the screwy ones that use a crust. Are you baking
> cheesecake or a creme brulee???- Hide quoted text -

You must be reading something other than recipes. It is a fact that
cheesecake bakes much better in a water bath than not. Also, less
chance of cracking...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> There are yeast based crusts, shortbread crusts, ginger snap crumb
> crusts, ground hazelnut or pecan crusts, etc.
>
> I don't like any crustless cheesecakes, quiches, our pies.

All the crusts you mention are improvements over graham cracker crusts,
IMO. NY style cheesecake is often sans crust, but I've never heard of a
crustless quiche or pies.
I liked the wafer Oblaten we could get in Germany. Have you ever seen or
used them?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Fri 26 Nov 2010 07:37:14a, Stu told us...
>
> > On 26 Nov 2010 03:29:09 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>Apparently there's a lot that you *don't* know about cheesecake.
> >>There are many cheesecake recipes that call for baking them in a
> >>water bath.

> > The only joy of cheesecake I want is a cherry cheesecake, a spoon
> > and a cup of Columbian coffee, and of course a quiet place to
> > enjoy it ;-)

> You mean a quiet place where you don't have to share it. :-)
>
> Cherry cheesecake is one of my favorites.

I frequently put cherry topping on my cheesecake, but I don't ever
flavor the cheesecake beyond the basic bit of vanilla in the recipe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> Flavor or texture? I remember a cheesecake that took crushed Oreo
> cookies & butter for a crust.
>
> Jim

Sweetness actually. Sometimes people make things so unnecessarily sweet
that you lose the other flavor components (dairy; lemon or vanilla;
fruit, etc).
Oreos would pretty much ruin it for me, I imagine? It would overtake any
subtle flavors.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2010 12:57 PM, Goomba wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> There are yeast based crusts, shortbread crusts, ginger snap crumb
>> crusts, ground hazelnut or pecan crusts, etc.
>>
>> I don't like any crustless cheesecakes, quiches, our pies.

> All the crusts you mention are improvements over graham cracker
> crusts, IMO. NY style cheesecake is often sans crust, but I've never
> heard of a crustless quiche or pies.
> I liked the wafer Oblaten we could get in Germany. Have you ever seen
> or used them?

My cheesecake is made without crust, because my husband likes it like
that. I can take it either way, but I have come to enjoy cheesecake
without a crust.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2010 2:22 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> Flavor or texture? I remember a cheesecake that took crushed Oreo
> cookies& butter for a crust.
>
> Jim

One of my favorite crusts for a cheesecake is the Maria cookies that are
sold in the Hispanic section. They have a mild flavor that is not too
vanilla-ey, like vanilla wafers, or too strong like graham crackers. I
do happen to like Maria's, though.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Fri 26 Nov 2010 01:03:26p, Pete C. told us...
>

> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >>
> >> On Fri 26 Nov 2010 07:37:14a, Stu told us...

> >> You mean a quiet place where you don't have to share it. :-)
> >>
> >> Cherry cheesecake is one of my favorites.

> > I frequently put cherry topping on my cheesecake, but I don't ever
> > flavor the cheesecake beyond the basic bit of vanilla in the
> > recipe.
> >

> Vanilla is the only flavoring I use, too, when I'm planning on using
> a fruit topping.
>
> BTW, Pete, crust or crustless aside, did you post your cheesecake
> recipe? I came into this thread late, but I'd be curious to compare
> cheesecake filling recipes with the one I often use.

Not in this thread, but I did some time ago. I'm sure it's in the vast
Google wasteland somewhere, it's the one with ricotta, cream cheese and
sour cream in equal 16oz parts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, atec77 > posted on Thu, 25
Nov 2010 14:38:58 +-1000 the following:

> If the non stick was working we wouldn't be having this discussion ,
> simplest option run a plastic spatula under or a cheese cutting wire ,
> next time get it right way up and use some grease proof and several layers

Actually it turned out not to be a problem. The nonstick stuff seems to
adhere better to the springform pan than it did to the $25 WearEver 8"
saut+AOk- pan I have that a woman guest ruined in one use. Before she got a
hold of it, it was in perfect condition. This is what it looked like
after she got through with it, cooking scrambled eggs and scraping the
surface with a metal spoon.

http://home.earthlink.net/+AH4-damae...-saute-top.jpg

Fascinating, isn't it, how a woman wouldn't know better than to use a
metal spoon in a pan like this. And it's literally the best nonstick pan
in the house. Out of the dozens of pots and pans we have to cook in, she
picked this one to abuse, my favorite of our small pans. Maybe she's just
not an experienced cook, but I later found out she's an experienced
prostitute. She wouldn't have even been in the house if I'd had my say,
but it isn't MY house, but my friend's, and he wanted them (her and her
friend) to come here. The man ended up stealing a bunch of stuff before
my friend kicked him out after calling him a piece of shit.

Someone else later got a hold of the pan and tried to use it to deep fry
something. He put too much oil in the pan and tried to pour some off,
slopping grease down the side of it, getting it under the pan, and then
setting it back on the glass-top range to burn the oil and stain the
bottom. Well, staining the bottom isn't the end of the world, but I
simply can't get over the nonstick surface.

Maybe some would ridicule me for being so nitpicky, but *I* know how to
make things like cookware and CDs last. My oldest CD is in as good a
condition as my newest CD. And I looked forward to decades of pleasure
using my little pan until *she* came along and destroyed the poor little
thing. Yes, I could buy a new one, I suppose. But I don't make a lot of
money, so when I do spend money on something extra, I like to go
high-quality if I can and that pan was one of those purchases. It just
sizzles my butter every time I think about it.

I need a sedative.

Damaeus
--
"Marijuana inflames the erotic impulses and leads to revolting sex
crimes"
-Daily Mirror (1924)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, "l, not -l" > posted on Thu, 25
Nov 2010 16:53:03 GMT the following:

> On 24-Nov-2010, atec77 > wrote:
>
> > If the non stick was working we wouldn't be having this discussion ,
> > simplest option run a plastic spatula under or a cheese cutting wire ,

> If cheese cutting wire isn't available, dental floss (unflavored) may also
> work.

I used that method using Glide dental tape, which is all I have. I think
even something like fishing line would work, too, and it would be less
expensive than using the dental floss. I only use that as a concern
because I would want to get a fresh piece of floss for each cut, and I
think you can get a lot more fishing line per dollar than dental floss.
But it's not like I make cheesecake every week, or even every month, so
dental floss wouldn't even be bad.

Damaeus
--
"Marijuana inflames the erotic impulses and leads to revolting sex
crimes"
-Daily Mirror (1924)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, Aussie >
posted on Thu, 25 Nov 2010 03:09:06 GMT the following:

> "Paco" > wrote in :
>
> > He is concerned about damaging the non stick surface.

> Well, he should have thought of that before he made it.

If my name was God, I probably would have.

Damaeus
--
"Marijuana inflames the erotic impulses and leads to revolting sex
crimes"
-Daily Mirror (1924)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, Mr. Bill > posted on Thu, 25
Nov 2010 08:12:42 -0500 the following:

> On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 06:35:05 -0600, Damaeus
> > wrote:
>
> > I would see if I could get the parchment to extend outside the
> > springform pan, then when I remove the tube, I would hopefully have
> > one sheet.

> You are TRYING to make this more difficult. Cut your parchment the
> size of the bottom removable. ...nothing will be overlaping anything.

Making the parchment the same size as the springform base would defeat the
purpose. The problem is getting something under the cheesecake to hoist
it off the pan. That said, however, after handling this one just in
slices, the cheesecake is a lot more durable than I thought it was. If I
get a plastic spatula wide enough, and with a handle that's sturdy enough
(not something a squirrel would use as a diving board), then getting it
off the base without parchment shouldn't be a problem.

I originally thought about having the parchment extend outside the
springform pan so I could just remove the tube, then slide the cake off
onto a plate using the large, rectangular sheet of parchment paper.

Damaeus
--
"Marijuana inflames the erotic impulses and leads to revolting sex
crimes"
-Daily Mirror (1924)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, "Pete C." > posted on Thu,
25 Nov 2010 19:48:55 -0600 the following:

> Water bath??? For a cheesecake??? I've never heard of that in any
> cheesecake recipe, even the screwy ones that use a crust. Are you baking
> cheesecake or a creme brulee???

Does a creme brulee have a crust? I've never had a cheesecake without a
crust, or I'd call it cheesecake pudding. And I'm not talking about some
Keebler pie crust in a pan. I'm talking about the layer of graham cracker
crumbs and butter that is pressed into the bottom of the springform pan
that gives the cheesecake some kind of base to sit on. I would probably
like a cheesecake without a crust, however, but just because the one I
made has a crust, I don't consider it screwy, bad, wrong, evil or sinful.

The cheesecake I baked for Thanksgiving was my second using this recipe.
It didn't call for a water bath, but some of the comments under the recipe
did call for one. Plus a discussion I had over instant messaging has
become clearer now. A water bath will keep the sides of the springform
pan from exceeding 212 degrees. That will result in a cheesecake which
has the same creaminess on the sides as it has in the center. And while
the cheesecake I brought to dinner made everyone moan in ecstasy like no
other food that was on the table, I noticed a difference in texture as I
ate toward the outside edge of the cheesecake. The center was so creamy
that it had no texture at all that my tongue could detect, but the outside
edge did have a texture. It wasn't gross or inedible or anything, but
there *was* a texture and I didn't like the mouth feel of the outside inch
of cheesecake as much as the center. A water bath is supposed to keep the
outside edge as creamy as the center where it was absolutely perfect.

Damaeus
--
"Marijuana inflames the erotic impulses and leads to revolting sex
crimes"
-Daily Mirror (1924)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, Janet Wilder > posted on
Fri, 26 Nov 2010 09:21:58 -0600 the following:

> If the cheesecake has a crust, which mine did, letting it sit in the
> holder outside of the fridge for 15 minutes or so, the butter in the
> crust softens enough to make the slices slide off the bottom of the pan.

The crust I use only had two tablespoons of butter for the crumbs from 15
graham crackers, so the crust never even hardened after baking and sitting
in the fridge overnight. It was actually a crust that was a little bit
soft without being mushy.

Damaeus
--
"Marijuana inflames the erotic impulses and leads to revolting sex
crimes"
-Daily Mirror (1924)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, sf > posted on Thu, 25 Nov 2010
08:17:08 -0800 the following:

> Actually, dental floss is a good idea. We buy a bakery cheesecake
> that is like angel food only it's some kind of cheese instead of flour
> and the package has a length of fishing twine on it to use for cutting
> because a knife is too messy and could possibly squish it.

Yes, I carried a tube of Glide dental floss with me, but told everybody I
really wanted to practice that method on another cheesecake, even after
assuring them the dental floss was not used dental floss. Anyway, after
cutting and serving with a pie server, I wanted to send a fourth of it
home with one family and leave some for the family whose house we were at,
so they wanted to see me use the dental floss. It made a perfect cut,
indeed. I just want to get a fresh stretch of floss after each cut.

Damaeus