Stark Raven

Default Penzey's soup base vs. Redi-base

Are the two equivalent? I believe one is a powder; the other, a paste.

Jack Schidt®

"Stark Raven" > wrote in message
> Are the two equivalent? I believe one is a powder; the other, a paste.
>
> --

I've tried Redi-base soup bases and some are powdered and some are paste.
Their website would say for sure which is which.

Jack Basic

Jack Schidt wrote:

> I've tried Redi-base soup bases and some are powdered and some are paste.
> Their website would say for sure which is which.

I bought their soup bases about six months ago, based on the
recommendation of some people on this group. I really like the flavor.
I find I'm happy using it at half the concentration they suggest.
The chicken, which I use the most, adds a nice flavor to the rest of
the dish. The ham base is quite strongly flavored, so I use even less
of that one.

I have one major complaint about them, though. They make a big deal
on their website of "No added MSG" and "No added glutamates." This is
simply false as they have autolyzed yeast extract in their products,
which is a significant source of free glutamates. I wrote to them
about this and it was the only e-mail of mine that they didn't answer.
This makes them appear deceitful.

I like the flavor of their products enough that I'll still buy them -- I
think there are enough quality ingredients in the bases that the MSG
isn't a major component, but still, they should be honest about what's
in their stuff.

Here are some web-sites for reference about glutamates:

http://www.truthinlabeling.org/nomsg.html

http://www.truthinlabeling.org/FDA-3-20-02-letter.html

http://www.thebigcarrot.ca/additives.htm

Sandy

B.Server > wrote:

> So leaving aside all of the food hysterics, what would you like their
> label to say? In what way should it be differentiated from other
> products that naturally contain glutamates and still others that have
> added MSG directly?

Actually, the labels on the products themselves are accurate: they list
hydrolyzed wheat protein and autolyzed wheat extracts. My complaint is
that the web page makes a big deal about how there is no MSG in any of
their products, and this is misleading. I'd like it if they listed the
actual product ingredients on the web page.

Sandy

B.Server

On 15 Dec 2003 22:03:13 -0800, wrote:

>I wrote, about Redi-Base:
>
>> I have one major complaint about them, though. They make a big deal
>> on their website of "No added MSG" and "No added glutamates." This is
>> simply false as they have autolyzed yeast extract in their products,
>> which is a significant source of free glutamates. I wrote to them
>> about this and it was the only e-mail of mine that they didn't answer.
>> This makes them appear deceitful.

>B.Server > wrote:
>
>> So leaving aside all of the food hysterics, what would you like their
>> label to say? In what way should it be differentiated from other
>> products that naturally contain glutamates and still others that have
>> added MSG directly?

>Actually, the labels on the products themselves are accurate: they list
>hydrolyzed wheat protein and autolyzed wheat extracts. My complaint is
>that the web page makes a big deal about how there is no MSG in any of
>their products, and this is misleading. I'd like it if they listed the
>actual product ingredients on the web page.
>
>Sandy

OK. I thought that you said they claimed "No ADDED MSG" rather than
"No MSG". My guess is that it would be next to impossible to produce
any reduced base of this sort that did not contain glutamates and
various salts thereof. So it seemed to me that the question is how do
they indicate that they don't dump a portion of product number 959XX
(MSG) into their recipe.

I confess to never having read their web site in detail. It annoys
the hell out of me. For example, this morning the link from the
second of the "Three Ways to Order" page leads to a lame explanation
that they have reorganized their web site and this link has moved. (to
where?) One would think that how to order might be of sufficient
importance that they would bother to get it right. They apparently
don't see it that way.

I like the company and products. I just think they lost the recipe
when it comes to their web presence.

Canadian-style Yellow Split-Pea Soup with a beer base - A question of style? Peter LaFrance General Cooking 10 06-09-2013 03:49 PM
The Organic Tea Base Mr.Wang Tea 0 14-12-2004 08:10 AM
gum base? Kitty Bouquet General Cooking 5 07-10-2004 04:59 AM
beef granules vs soup base clio22 General Cooking 8 13-11-2003 05:01 AM