Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Springform Pans?

I few months ago I bought a set of 3 spring form pans of graduating sizes.
So far I have only used springform pans for cheesecake and flour-less
chocolate cake, right now (per request of my 8 year old daughter) I have
Dutch Baby in the oven. I have never made it in a springform before, but
I'm sure that it will turn out fine.
I'm wondering what other people use their springform pans for? Besides
cheesecake
Thanks,

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Woolstitcher" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> I few months ago I bought a set of 3 spring form pans of graduating sizes.
> So far I have only used springform pans for cheesecake and flour-less
> chocolate cake, right now (per request of my 8 year old daughter) I have
> Dutch Baby in the oven. I have never made it in a springform before, but
> I'm sure that it will turn out fine.
> I'm wondering what other people use their springform pans for? Besides
> cheesecake
> Thanks,

Light sponge and chiffon cakes...--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 09:56:15 -0500, "Woolstitcher"
> wrote:

>I'm wondering what other people use their springform pans for? Besides
>cheesecake
>Thanks,

Blueberry brunch cake

Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 13 Jan 2008 07:56:15a, Woolstitcher told us...

> I few months ago I bought a set of 3 spring form pans of graduating

sizes.
> So far I have only used springform pans for cheesecake and flour-less
> chocolate cake, right now (per request of my 8 year old daughter) I have
> Dutch Baby in the oven. I have never made it in a springform before, but
> I'm sure that it will turn out fine.
> I'm wondering what other people use their springform pans for? Besides
> cheesecake
> Thanks,

Melton Mowbray Pork Pie

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 01(I)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
'Change is inevitable, except from a
vending machine.'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "Woolstitcher" > said:

> I few months ago I bought a set of 3 spring form pans of graduating sizes.
> So far I have only used springform pans for cheesecake and flour-less
> chocolate cake, right now (per request of my 8 year old daughter) I have
> Dutch Baby in the oven. I have never made it in a springform before, but
> I'm sure that it will turn out fine.
> I'm wondering what other people use their springform pans for? Besides
> cheesecake

I haven't *made* this yet, but I have eaten it and it's really
good. Got the recipe from a former boss's wife (nice folks, we
had a company Christmas thingy at their house many years ago):

Layered Appetizer Torte

Layer 1
Combine and beat until smooth:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 T. butter, softened
Add:
6-8 oz. meat (minced ham, salami, sausage, smoked salmon, crab,
etc.)
1 T. minced onion
dash hot pepper sauce
Spread in bottom of 7 or 8 inch springform pan, smoothing carefully.
Wipe edges clean with paper towelling. Chill.

Layer 2
Combine and beat until smooth:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 T. butter, softened
Add:
1/4 - 1/3# medium cheddar, grated, at room temp. (For salmon use
white cheese.)
2-3 T. milk
Spread over meat layer. Smooth out and clean edges as needed. Chill.

Layer 3
Combine and beat until smooth:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 T. butter, softened

Add:
4-5 clean/dry green onion tops

With a food processor or blender turned on, drop the onions onto
the spinning blade by handfuls and puree as much as possible. You
may need to stop the machine and stir them down once or twice. With
motor still running, drop cream cheese mixture by spoonfuls into
onions. Stir down and process until smooth. Spread over cheese layer.
Smooth out as much as possible. Rap gently against counter top to
settle. Chill well.

Unmold by running a knife around the edge of the pan and removing
ring. Decorate top by piping softened cream cheese (4 oz.) thinned
with a little milk through pastry bag. Garnish with parsley, serve
with crackers.

*Two Layer Torte idea: shrimp on bottom, avocado and cream cheese top.

*Nearly any sandwich idea can make a good torte.

--
Jani in WA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> One time on Usenet, "Woolstitcher" > said:
>> I few months ago I bought a set of 3 spring form pans of graduating sizes.
>> So far I have only used springform pans for cheesecake and flour-less
>> chocolate cake, right now (per request of my 8 year old daughter) I have
>> Dutch Baby in the oven. I have never made it in a springform before, but
>> I'm sure that it will turn out fine.
>> I'm wondering what other people use their springform pans for? Besides
>> cheesecake

I have a recipe somewhere for something called torte rustica or
something like that. I think it is a Nick Stellino recipe.
Ooh. I found it! GIMF!

http://tinyurl.com/2ngxbf

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Woolstitcher" > wrote in message

> I few months ago I bought a set of 3 spring form pans of graduating sizes.
> So far I have only used springform pans for cheesecake and flour-less
> chocolate cake, right now (per request of my 8 year old daughter) I have
> Dutch Baby in the oven. I have never made it in a springform before, but
> I'm sure that it will turn out fine.
> I'm wondering what other people use their springform pans for? Besides
> cheesecake
> Thanks,

I don't use mine much at all. I use it occasionally for raw tortes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Woolstitcher" > wrote in message

> I few months ago I bought a set of 3 spring form pans of graduating sizes.
> So far I have only used springform pans for cheesecake and flour-less
> chocolate cake, right now (per request of my 8 year old daughter) I have
> Dutch Baby in the oven. I have never made it in a springform before, but
> I'm sure that it will turn out fine.
> I'm wondering what other people use their springform pans for? Besides
> cheesecake
> Thanks,

When making a torte or cake with layers of cake and cream and fruit, I start
by baking the cake in the springform, then slicing it into three layers. I
then build the cake right in the spring form, layering the fruit, maybe
whipped creme fraiche, and fruit between the cake layers. Then I put it all
in the fridge to chill. When I take off the springform side ring, the cake
is perfectly formed for covering with ganache or fondant or even molded
chocolate. The springform works like a mold so you have a perfect shape to
work with. You can make some spectacular cakes this way.

Cheers!
Mo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mo" > wrote in message
> "Woolstitcher" > wrote in message
>>
>> I few months ago I bought a set of 3 spring form pans of graduating
>> sizes. So far I have only used springform pans for cheesecake and
>> flour-less chocolate cake, right now (per request of my 8 year old
>> daughter) I have Dutch Baby in the oven. I have never made it in a
>> springform before, but I'm sure that it will turn out fine.
>> I'm wondering what other people use their springform pans for? Besides
>> cheesecake
>> Thanks,
>>

> When making a torte or cake with layers of cake and cream and fruit, I
> start by baking the cake in the springform, then slicing it into three
> layers. I then build the cake right in the spring form, layering the
> fruit, maybe whipped creme fraiche, and fruit between the cake layers.
> Then I put it all in the fridge to chill. When I take off the springform
> side ring, the cake is perfectly formed for covering with ganache or
> fondant or even molded chocolate. The springform works like a mold so you
> have a perfect shape to work with. You can make some spectacular cakes
> this way.
>
> Cheers!
> Mo

Some pics of a birthday cake I made a few years back using a springform.
This cake would have been much harder to do without a springform. It is an
adaptation of the chocolate ruffle cake in 'Baking with Julia.'

Baked the chocolate genoise in the springform:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=834nzwn&s=1
sliced it into 3 layers
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6qcvib7&s=1
layered the cake, chocolate creme fraiche, cake, creme fraiche, raspberries,
and cake into the springform
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=87a2qhj&s=1
chilled, then unmolded
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=73ff246&s=1
Made a collar of dark chocolate, molded on a rectangular strip of plastic,
slightly higher than the cake. Wrapped the collar around the cake, then
piped more whipped creme fraiche onto the top
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=8a3zhv5&s=1
Next I printed 'happy birthday janie" on a sheet of paper backwards, put a
sheet of plastic over it, and piped in the words using white chocolate
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=71w00sg&s=1
Then streaked milk and dark chocolate over the letters to make the
background
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=8ax97ix&s=1
placed this on the chocolate collar surrounding the cake, and voila
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=86hc02d&s=1

It was a really delicious cake, as well as looking pretty cool. The cake
layers were soaked in raspberry liquor. There was whipped chocolate creme
fraiche between the bottom layers, and fresh raspberries and whipped plain
creme fraiche between the top two. I did another similar cake with cherries
and Crown Royal. I scalloped the top edge of the chocolate collar with a
cookie cutter to give the impression of a chocolate crown, and pressed in
candied cherries for 'jewels."

Cheers!
Mo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mo" > wrote in message

> It was a really delicious cake, as well as looking pretty cool. The cake
> layers were soaked in raspberry liquor. There was whipped chocolate creme
> fraiche between the bottom layers, and fresh raspberries and whipped plain
> creme fraiche between the top two. I did another similar cake with
> cherries and Crown Royal. I scalloped the top edge of the chocolate collar
> with a cookie cutter to give the impression of a chocolate crown, and
> pressed in candied cherries for 'jewels."
>
> Cheers!
> Mo

What talent! Thanks for the wonderful pictures.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 13 Jan 2008 09:09:37p, Dee.Dee told us...

> "Mo" > wrote in message
>>
>> It was a really delicious cake, as well as looking pretty cool. The
>> cake layers were soaked in raspberry liquor. There was whipped
>> chocolate creme fraiche between the bottom layers, and fresh
>> raspberries and whipped plain creme fraiche between the top two. I did
>> another similar cake with cherries and Crown Royal. I scalloped the top
>> edge of the chocolate collar with a cookie cutter to give the
>> impression of a chocolate crown, and pressed in candied cherries for
>> 'jewels."
>>
>> Cheers!
>> Mo

> What talent! Thanks for the wonderful pictures.
> Dee Dee

Yes, Mo, you do beautiful work!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 01(I)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
Portions of the preceding were
recorded. As for the rest of it, I'm
very much afraid it was all in your mind.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 13 Jan 2008 10:09:06p, Arri London told us...

> Woolstitcher wrote:
>>
>> I few months ago I bought a set of 3 spring form pans of graduating

sizes.
>> So far I have only used springform pans for cheesecake and flour-less
>> chocolate cake, right now (per request of my 8 year old daughter) I have
>> Dutch Baby in the oven. I have never made it in a springform before,

but
>> I'm sure that it will turn out fine.
>> I'm wondering what other people use their springform pans for? Besides
>> cheesecake
>> Thanks,

> Any sort of cake that we want to be round, basically. Springform tins
> are just about the only round tins I grew up with, other than
> tube/kugelhopf tin.
>
> Have never made a cheesecake in a springform tin.

What sort of pan do you make cheesecake in?

Originally, that was the sole reason I bought a springform many years ago.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 01(I)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
Cats must lick the cheese from the
grater when the human's back is turned.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Woolstitcher wrote:

> I few months ago I bought a set of 3 spring form pans of graduating sizes.
> So far I have only used springform pans for cheesecake and flour-less
> chocolate cake, right now (per request of my 8 year old daughter) I have
> Dutch Baby in the oven. I have never made it in a springform before, but
> I'm sure that it will turn out fine.
> I'm wondering what other people use their springform pans for? Besides
> cheesecake
> Thanks,

Any sort of cake that we want to be round, basically. Springform tins
are just about the only round tins I grew up with, other than
tube/kugelhopf tin.

Have never made a cheesecake in a springform tin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> Woolstitcher wrote:
>>
>> I few months ago I bought a set of 3 spring form pans of graduating
>> sizes.
>> So far I have only used springform pans for cheesecake and flour-less
>> chocolate cake, right now (per request of my 8 year old daughter) I have
>> Dutch Baby in the oven. I have never made it in a springform before, but
>> I'm sure that it will turn out fine.
>> I'm wondering what other people use their springform pans for? Besides
>> cheesecake
>> Thanks,

> Any sort of cake that we want to be round, basically. Springform tins
> are just about the only round tins I grew up with, other than
> tube/kugelhopf tin.
>
> Have never made a cheesecake in a springform tin.

That's a bit interesting that you grew up using springform tins, but you
have never made cheesecake in a springform tin. What accounts for that; in
that most every recipe more-or-less calls for springform when making
cheesecake.

I'd love to hear what you have to say about your experience.
Thanks,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mo wrote:

> [...]

> a sheet of plastic over it, and piped in the words using white chocolate
> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=71w00sg&s=1
> Then streaked milk and dark chocolate over the letters to make the
> background
> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=8ax97ix&s=1
> placed this on the chocolate collar surrounding the cake, and voila
> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=86hc02d&s=1
>
> It was a really delicious cake, as well as looking pretty cool. The cake
> layers were soaked in raspberry liquor. There was whipped chocolate
> creme fraiche between the bottom layers, and fresh raspberries and
> whipped plain creme fraiche between the top two. I did another similar
> cake with cherries and Crown Royal. I scalloped the top edge of the
> chocolate collar with a cookie cutter to give the impression of a
> chocolate crown, and pressed in candied cherries for 'jewels."

What a gorgeous cake! Thanks for sharing your photos and procedure;
educational as well as inspiring

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"flitterbit" > wrote in message
> Mo wrote:

>>> When making a torte or cake with layers of cake and cream and fruit, I
>>> start by baking the cake in the springform, then slicing it into three
>>> layers. I then build the cake right in the spring form, layering the
>>> fruit, maybe whipped creme fraiche, and fruit between the cake layers.
>>> Then I put it all in the fridge to chill. When I take off the springform
>>> side ring, the cake is perfectly formed for covering with ganache or
>>> fondant or even molded chocolate. The springform works like a mold so
>>> you have a perfect shape to work with. You can make some spectacular
>>> cakes this way.
>>>
>>> Cheers!
>>> Mo
>>>

>> Some pics of a birthday cake I made a few years back using a springform.
>> This cake would have been much harder to do without a springform. It is
>> an adaptation of the chocolate ruffle cake in 'Baking with Julia.'
>>
>> Baked the chocolate genoise in the springform:
>> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=834nzwn&s=1
>> sliced it into 3 layers
>> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6qcvib7&s=1
>> layered the cake, chocolate creme fraiche, cake, creme fraiche,
>> raspberries, and cake into the springform
>> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=87a2qhj&s=1
>> chilled, then unmolded
>> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=73ff246&s=1
>> Made a collar of dark chocolate, molded on a rectangular strip of
>> plastic, slightly higher than the cake. Wrapped the collar around the
>> cake, then piped more whipped creme fraiche onto the top
>> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=8a3zhv5&s=1
>> Next I printed 'happy birthday janie" on a sheet of paper backwards, put
>> a sheet of plastic over it, and piped in the words using white chocolate
>> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=71w00sg&s=1
>> Then streaked milk and dark chocolate over the letters to make the
>> background
>> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=8ax97ix&s=1
>> placed this on the chocolate collar surrounding the cake, and voila
>> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=86hc02d&s=1
>>
>> It was a really delicious cake, as well as looking pretty cool. The cake
>> layers were soaked in raspberry liquor. There was whipped chocolate creme
>> fraiche between the bottom layers, and fresh raspberries and whipped
>> plain creme fraiche between the top two. I did another similar cake with
>> cherries and Crown Royal. I scalloped the top edge of the chocolate
>> collar with a cookie cutter to give the impression of a chocolate crown,
>> and pressed in candied cherries for 'jewels."
>>
>> Cheers!
>> Mo
>>

> What a gorgeous cake! Thanks for sharing your photos and procedure;
> educational as well as inspiring

Thanks for the compliments I just can't seem to get the hang of
traditional buttercream decorating. My big hot hands just don't seem to work
with a piping bag of buttercream. I can do simple borders and writing, but
my roses always seem a little flat. I have found all kinds of ways to get a
really nice looking cake without buttercream roses, though.

That cake was a little complicated in the decorating, but the basic cake
could have been finished a lot of different ways. It could have been coated
with ganache (have you ever tried whipping ganache? It whips up just like a
really rich chocolate buttercream, without the butter!). Or use your
favorite buttercream recipe. Or deep swirls of whipped heavy cream. Your
decorating will look great as long as you start with a well-shaped cake. For
me, the springform is a great tool for getting a nicely shaped cake.

I did this once with a chocolate cake, soaked in frangelica, then spread
Nutella and whipped heavy cream between each layer. I finished it by coating
it in ganache, and pressing in chopped hazelnuts half-way up the sides. I
used melted white chocolate to pipe the happy birthday.

I used to do a mother's day tea party at a place I worked. I made this cake
with a white cake cut into three layers, then each layer spread with peach
perserves, sliced peaches and whipped cream. I finished it with a heavy
frosting of whipped cream, in deep swirls. Peaches and Cream. You could do
the same thing with strawberries.

You can layer white cake and custard, then coat the cake with ganache.
Boston Cream Pie.

You can layer chocolate cake with whipped milk chocolate ganache and coat
with dark chocolate ganache.

Banana and custard between white cake layers, iced with whipped cream for a
banana pudding torte cake.

These are all spectacular cakes that are really easy to make with a
springform. It's not just for cheesecake.

Cheers!
Mo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mo wrote:
> [...]

> sides. I used melted white chocolate to pipe the happy birthday.
>
> I used to do a mother's day tea party at a place I worked. I made this
> cake with a white cake cut into three layers, then each layer spread
> with peach perserves, sliced peaches and whipped cream. I finished it
> with a heavy frosting of whipped cream, in deep swirls. Peaches and
> Cream. You could do the same thing with strawberries.
>
> You can layer white cake and custard, then coat the cake with ganache.
> Boston Cream Pie.
>
> You can layer chocolate cake with whipped milk chocolate ganache and
> coat with dark chocolate ganache.
>
> Banana and custard between white cake layers, iced with whipped cream
> for a banana pudding torte cake.
>
> These are all spectacular cakes that are really easy to make with a
> springform. It's not just for cheesecake.

Thanks for posting your ideas for variations for cakes; I'm going to
save these for future baking, if you don't mind

Another tasty variation might be layers of banana cake, filled with
sliced bananas and custard, and the whole thing coated in ganache
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sun 13 Jan 2008 10:09:06p, Arri London told us...
>

> > Woolstitcher wrote:
> >>
> >> I few months ago I bought a set of 3 spring form pans of graduating

> sizes.
> >> So far I have only used springform pans for cheesecake and flour-less
> >> chocolate cake, right now (per request of my 8 year old daughter) I have
> >> Dutch Baby in the oven. I have never made it in a springform before,

> but
> >> I'm sure that it will turn out fine.
> >> I'm wondering what other people use their springform pans for? Besides
> >> cheesecake
> >> Thanks,

> > Any sort of cake that we want to be round, basically. Springform tins
> > are just about the only round tins I grew up with, other than
> > tube/kugelhopf tin.
> >
> > Have never made a cheesecake in a springform tin.
> >

> What sort of pan do you make cheesecake in?
>
> Originally, that was the sole reason I bought a springform many years ago.

Square tin lined with strips of parchment paper. Makes removing the cake
easy enough. That's for the fairly solid sort of New York-style cheese
cake. Maybe something softer wouldn't work as well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee.Dee" wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message
> >

> > Woolstitcher wrote:
> >>
> >> I few months ago I bought a set of 3 spring form pans of graduating
> >> sizes.
> >> So far I have only used springform pans for cheesecake and flour-less
> >> chocolate cake, right now (per request of my 8 year old daughter) I have
> >> Dutch Baby in the oven. I have never made it in a springform before, but
> >> I'm sure that it will turn out fine.
> >> I'm wondering what other people use their springform pans for? Besides
> >> cheesecake
> >> Thanks,

> > Any sort of cake that we want to be round, basically. Springform tins
> > are just about the only round tins I grew up with, other than
> > tube/kugelhopf tin.
> >
> > Have never made a cheesecake in a springform tin.

> That's a bit interesting that you grew up using springform tins, but you
> have never made cheesecake in a springform tin. What accounts for that; in
> that most every recipe more-or-less calls for springform when making
> cheesecake.
>
> I'd love to hear what you have to say about your experience.
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

We didn't use the springforms for cheesecake and certain other cakes in
our family. A square tin lined with strips of parchment paper (hanging
over the edges) works fine for lifting out the dense New York-style
cheesecakes. Might not work for any of the softer sorts of cheesecakes.

What can I say LOL?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Woolstitcher > wrote:

>I few months ago I bought a set of 3 spring form pans of graduating sizes.
>So far I have only used springform pans for cheesecake and flour-less
>chocolate cake, right now (per request of my 8 year old daughter) I have
>Dutch Baby in the oven. I have never made it in a springform before, but
>I'm sure that it will turn out fine.
>I'm wondering what other people use their springform pans for? Besides
>cheesecake

I have square and rectangular springforms and they are da bomb for
making shortbread-based bar cookies (e.g. lemon bars). I can cut right to
the edge, easily.

Any bar-type cookie recipe that tells you to line the pan with foil or
parchment ... this pan works a treat. I need to get my mom's old recipe
for Seven Layer Bars ... not shortbread based, but can stick to the
sides. I have also successfully used them for Barb's Brownies.

Mine is from Kaiser and is non stick but sometimes I spray it just to
encourage the non-stick tendencies. If you bake bar cookies a lot save
your pennies for the heavy-duty Kaiser, or ask Santa or the good birthday
fairy to get you one. You won't regret it.

They would also be great for a savory frittata type thing, I think ...
would definitely spray well for that!

Definitely get one of those plastic "lettuce" knives to use with it.

I haven't made cheesecake in a while but will probably try working out a
recipe for the pans so I can serve cheesecake squares as finger
food instead of slices.

Round springforms: Any cake, brownie, etc., recipe that is sized for the
pan will work just fine.

Charlotte

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 14 Jan 2008 10:54:00p, Arri London told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Besides

>> > Any sort of cake that we want to be round, basically. Springform tins
>> > are just about the only round tins I grew up with, other than
>> > tube/kugelhopf tin.
>> >
>> > Have never made a cheesecake in a springform tin.
>> >

>> What sort of pan do you make cheesecake in?
>>
>> Originally, that was the sole reason I bought a springform many years

ago.

> Square tin lined with strips of parchment paper. Makes removing the cake
> easy enough. That's for the fairly solid sort of New York-style cheese
> cake. Maybe something softer wouldn't work as well.

I prefer a nice solid cheesecake, and the recipe I use is fairly firm.
However, I'd be inerested in the recipe you use.

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 01(I)/15(XV)/08(MMVIII)
It is better to wear out than to rust out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" > wrote in message

>> That's a bit interesting that you grew up using springform tins, but you
>> have never made cheesecake in a springform tin. What accounts for that;
>> in
>> that most every recipe more-or-less calls for springform when making
>> cheesecake.
>>
>> I'd love to hear what you have to say about your experience.
>> Thanks,
>> Dee Dee

> We didn't use the springforms for cheesecake and certain other cakes in
> our family. A square tin lined with strips of parchment paper (hanging
> over the edges) works fine for lifting out the dense New York-style
> cheesecakes. Might not work for any of the softer sorts of cheesecakes.
>
> What can I say LOL?

Not much. :-))
You answered my question. Thanks, Arri.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

This is one of the cheesecake recipes that we usually use. It has a
crust that runs up the sides as well as the bottom of the cake.Can of
course be made in a springform!

Kaesekremtorte
from 'Backen Macht Freude' a Dr Oetker book
[My translation/paraphrase Any weirdness thereby is my fault LOL]

Dough:

150 g white flour
1 tsp baking powder
65 g sugar
2 egg yolks
65 g butter or margarine chilled, cut into cubes
1 tbs white flour for part of the dough

Mix flour and baking powder and sieve into a bowl. Make a well in the
centre and add the sugar and eggs yolks. Mix to a thick paste. Coat the
cubes of fat in flour and knead into the other ingredients to a smooth
dough. Roll about 2/3 of the dough to fit the base of a springform (26
cm). Add the remaining flour to the other 1/3 of the dough, form into a
roll and lay it over the base in a circle. Press it around the form to
about 3 cm height. Dock the base with a fork and bake 20-25 minutes at
175--200 C/350--400 F

Filling:

2 packs Dr Oetker Vanilla pudding powder (these are about 1.5 oz/pk;
cornstarch-base pudding. Probably the same amount of vanilla pudding mix
would work if you can't get the German ones)

1/2 litre milk (or mix of 1/4 litre milk and 1/4 litre quark whey from
draining the quark below)

200 g sugar
1/2 bottle Dr Oetker lemon extract (about 2 ml)
750 g drained quark, sieved
30 g soaked raisins or currants (optional)
3 eggwhites beaten to a stiff snow

For the glaze:
1 egg yolk plus 1 tbs milk beaten together

Mix the pudding powder and 2/3 of the sugar with 1/4 litre of the milk.
Bring the rest of the milk to a boil, remove from the heat and whisk in
the pudding powder-milk mix. Return it to the heat and bring to a boil
again with stirring.
Remove from the heat, add the extract and the sieved quark and bring to
the boil again with stirring.
Place the pudding/quark mix in a bowl, add the raisins if used, the rest
of the sugar and the beaten egg whites.
Turn the mixture into the prebaked crust and smooth the top. Brush the
top of the cake with the egg/milk mixture.

Bake at 140 C/280 F for 50--60 minutes

Any cheesecake mix would work with this crust; we do that too since real
quark is hard to come by around here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 15 Jan 2008 10:03:16p, Arri London told us...

> This is one of the cheesecake recipes that we usually use. It has a
> crust that runs up the sides as well as the bottom of the cake.Can of
> course be made in a springform!
>
> Kaesekremtorte
> from 'Backen Macht Freude' a Dr Oetker book
> [My translation/paraphrase Any weirdness thereby is my fault LOL]
>
> Dough:
>
> 150 g white flour
> 1 tsp baking powder
> 65 g sugar
> 2 egg yolks
> 65 g butter or margarine chilled, cut into cubes
> 1 tbs white flour for part of the dough
>
> Mix flour and baking powder and sieve into a bowl. Make a well in the
> centre and add the sugar and eggs yolks. Mix to a thick paste. Coat the
> cubes of fat in flour and knead into the other ingredients to a smooth
> dough. Roll about 2/3 of the dough to fit the base of a springform (26
> cm). Add the remaining flour to the other 1/3 of the dough, form into a
> roll and lay it over the base in a circle. Press it around the form to
> about 3 cm height. Dock the base with a fork and bake 20-25 minutes at
> 175--200 C/350--400 F
>
> Filling:
>
> 2 packs Dr Oetker Vanilla pudding powder (these are about 1.5 oz/pk;
> cornstarch-base pudding. Probably the same amount of vanilla pudding mix
> would work if you can't get the German ones)
>
> 1/2 litre milk (or mix of 1/4 litre milk and 1/4 litre quark whey from
> draining the quark below)
>
> 200 g sugar
> 1/2 bottle Dr Oetker lemon extract (about 2 ml)
> 750 g drained quark, sieved
> 30 g soaked raisins or currants (optional)
> 3 eggwhites beaten to a stiff snow
>
> For the glaze:
> 1 egg yolk plus 1 tbs milk beaten together
>
> Mix the pudding powder and 2/3 of the sugar with 1/4 litre of the milk.
> Bring the rest of the milk to a boil, remove from the heat and whisk in
> the pudding powder-milk mix. Return it to the heat and bring to a boil
> again with stirring.
> Remove from the heat, add the extract and the sieved quark and bring to
> the boil again with stirring.
> Place the pudding/quark mix in a bowl, add the raisins if used, the rest
> of the sugar and the beaten egg whites.
> Turn the mixture into the prebaked crust and smooth the top. Brush the
> top of the cake with the egg/milk mixture.
>
> Bake at 140 C/280 F for 50--60 minutes
>
> Any cheesecake mix would work with this crust; we do that too since real
> quark is hard to come by around here.

Thanks, Arri, this is one I want to try. I can get the Dr. Oetker
products. Finding quark will be the challenge. Is there a substitute
cheese I could use?

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 01(I)/15(XV)/08(MMVIII)
Cats must chew the buttons off mom's
bathrobe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 15 Jan 2008 10:03:16p, Arri London told us...

>> Any cheesecake mix would work with this crust; we do that too since real
>> quark is hard to come by around here.
>>

> Thanks, Arri, this is one I want to try. I can get the Dr. Oetker
> products. Finding quark will be the challenge. Is there a substitute
> cheese I could use?

I can find quark at the chain market "organic" food store Earthfare.
www.earthfare.com
Try someplace like that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 15 Jan 2008 10:27:34p, Goomba38 told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Tue 15 Jan 2008 10:03:16p, Arri London told us...

>>> Any cheesecake mix would work with this crust; we do that too since

real
>>> quark is hard to come by around here.
>>>

>> Thanks, Arri, this is one I want to try. I can get the Dr. Oetker
>> products. Finding quark will be the challenge. Is there a substitute
>> cheese I could use?
>>

> I can find quark at the chain market "organic" food store Earthfare.
> www.earthfare.com
> Try someplace like that.

Thanks, Goomba! I'll take a look. I really want to try this.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 01(I)/15(XV)/08(MMVIII)
Cats must interfere with the broom
when their human is sweeping the floor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 13, 4:47*pm, "Mo" > wrote:
> [...]

> Next I printed 'happy birthday janie" on a sheet of paper backwards, put a
> sheet of plastic over it, and piped in the words using white chocolatehttp://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=71w00sg&s=1
> Then streaked milk and dark chocolate over the letters to make the
> backgroundhttp://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=8ax97ix&s=1
> placed this on the chocolate collar surrounding the cake, and voilahttp://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=86hc02d&s=1
>
> It was a really delicious cake, as well as looking pretty cool. The cake
> layers were soaked in raspberry liquor. There was whipped chocolate creme
> fraiche between the bottom layers, and fresh raspberries and whipped plain
> creme fraiche between the top two. I did another similar cake with cherries
> and Crown Royal. I scalloped the top edge of the chocolate collar with a
> cookie cutter to give the impression of a chocolate crown, and pressed in

Hey.... you can make dessert for me ANYTIME! =o)

Thanks for sharing the pictures, although now I have a craving for
chocolate raspberry cake..

Melissa
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 16 Jan 2008 08:48:43p, Arri London told us...

> [...]

rest
>> > of the sugar and the beaten egg whites.
>> > Turn the mixture into the prebaked crust and smooth the top. Brush the
>> > top of the cake with the egg/milk mixture.
>> >
>> > Bake at 140 C/280 F for 50--60 minutes
>> >
>> > Any cheesecake mix would work with this crust; we do that too since

real
>> > quark is hard to come by around here.
>> >

>> Thanks, Arri, this is one I want to try. I can get the Dr. Oetker
>> products. Finding quark will be the challenge. Is there a substitute
>> cheese I could use?
>>
>> --
>>

> We don't often get real quark either as I said LOL. ISTR (haven't made
> this in a while) that cream cheese with a little sour cream in it
> worked. Otherwise try small curd cottage cheese, drained and sieved.
> Maybe farmer's cheese? Hoop cheese? Anything that is the same texture as

Thanks, again...

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 01(I)/16(XVI)/08(MMVIII)