Old 13-01-2008, 02:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Springform Pans?

I few months ago I bought a set of 3 spring form pans of graduating sizes.
So far I have only used springform pans for cheesecake and flour-less
chocolate cake, right now (per request of my 8 year old daughter) I have
Dutch Baby in the oven. I have never made it in a springform before, but
I'm sure that it will turn out fine.
I'm wondering what other people use their springform pans for? Besides
cheesecake
Thanks,

Old 13-01-2008, 03:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Woolstitcher" ha scritto nel messaggio

I few months ago I bought a set of 3 spring form pans of graduating sizes.
So far I have only used springform pans for cheesecake and flour-less
chocolate cake, right now (per request of my 8 year old daughter) I have
Dutch Baby in the oven. I have never made it in a springform before, but
I'm sure that it will turn out fine.
I'm wondering what other people use their springform pans for? Besides
cheesecake
Thanks,

Light sponge and chiffon cakes...--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Old 13-01-2008, 03:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 09:56:15 -0500, "Woolstitcher"
wrote:

I'm wondering what other people use their springform pans for? Besides
cheesecake
Thanks,

Blueberry brunch cake

Best -- Terry
Old 13-01-2008, 04:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 13 Jan 2008 07:56:15a, Woolstitcher told us...

I few months ago I bought a set of 3 spring form pans of graduating

sizes.
So far I have only used springform pans for cheesecake and flour-less
chocolate cake, right now (per request of my 8 year old daughter) I have
Dutch Baby in the oven. I have never made it in a springform before, but
I'm sure that it will turn out fine.
I'm wondering what other people use their springform pans for? Besides
cheesecake
Thanks,

Melton Mowbray Pork Pie

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 01(I)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
'Change is inevitable, except from a
vending machine.'

Old 13-01-2008, 07:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "Woolstitcher" said:

I few months ago I bought a set of 3 spring form pans of graduating sizes.
So far I have only used springform pans for cheesecake and flour-less
chocolate cake, right now (per request of my 8 year old daughter) I have
Dutch Baby in the oven. I have never made it in a springform before, but
I'm sure that it will turn out fine.
I'm wondering what other people use their springform pans for? Besides
cheesecake

I haven't *made* this yet, but I have eaten it and it's really
good. Got the recipe from a former boss's wife (nice folks, we
had a company Christmas thingy at their house many years ago):

Layered Appetizer Torte

Layer 1
Combine and beat until smooth:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 T. butter, softened
Add:
6-8 oz. meat (minced ham, salami, sausage, smoked salmon, crab,
etc.)
1 T. minced onion
dash hot pepper sauce
Spread in bottom of 7 or 8 inch springform pan, smoothing carefully.
Wipe edges clean with paper towelling. Chill.

Layer 2
Combine and beat until smooth:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 T. butter, softened
Add:
1/4 - 1/3# medium cheddar, grated, at room temp. (For salmon use
white cheese.)
2-3 T. milk
Spread over meat layer. Smooth out and clean edges as needed. Chill.

Layer 3
Combine and beat until smooth:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 T. butter, softened

Add:
4-5 clean/dry green onion tops

With a food processor or blender turned on, drop the onions onto
the spinning blade by handfuls and puree as much as possible. You
may need to stop the machine and stir them down once or twice. With
motor still running, drop cream cheese mixture by spoonfuls into
onions. Stir down and process until smooth. Spread over cheese layer.
Smooth out as much as possible. Rap gently against counter top to
settle. Chill well.

Unmold by running a knife around the edge of the pan and removing
ring. Decorate top by piping softened cream cheese (4 oz.) thinned
with a little milk through pastry bag. Garnish with parsley, serve
with crackers.

*Two Layer Torte idea: shrimp on bottom, avocado and cream cheese top.

*Nearly any sandwich idea can make a good torte.

--
Jani in WA

Old 13-01-2008, 09:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "Woolstitcher" said:
I few months ago I bought a set of 3 spring form pans of graduating sizes.
So far I have only used springform pans for cheesecake and flour-less
chocolate cake, right now (per request of my 8 year old daughter) I have
Dutch Baby in the oven. I have never made it in a springform before, but
I'm sure that it will turn out fine.
I'm wondering what other people use their springform pans for? Besides
cheesecake

I have a recipe somewhere for something called torte rustica or
something like that. I think it is a Nick Stellino recipe.
Ooh. I found it! GIMF!

http://tinyurl.com/2ngxbf

-Tracy
Old 13-01-2008, 10:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Woolstitcher" wrote in message

I few months ago I bought a set of 3 spring form pans of graduating sizes.
So far I have only used springform pans for cheesecake and flour-less
chocolate cake, right now (per request of my 8 year old daughter) I have
Dutch Baby in the oven. I have never made it in a springform before, but
I'm sure that it will turn out fine.
I'm wondering what other people use their springform pans for? Besides
cheesecake
Thanks,

I don't use mine much at all. I use it occasionally for raw tortes.

Old 13-01-2008, 11:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Woolstitcher" wrote in message

I few months ago I bought a set of 3 spring form pans of graduating sizes.
So far I have only used springform pans for cheesecake and flour-less
chocolate cake, right now (per request of my 8 year old daughter) I have
Dutch Baby in the oven. I have never made it in a springform before, but
I'm sure that it will turn out fine.
I'm wondering what other people use their springform pans for? Besides
cheesecake
Thanks,

When making a torte or cake with layers of cake and cream and fruit, I start
by baking the cake in the springform, then slicing it into three layers. I
then build the cake right in the spring form, layering the fruit, maybe
whipped creme fraiche, and fruit between the cake layers. Then I put it all
in the fridge to chill. When I take off the springform side ring, the cake
is perfectly formed for covering with ganache or fondant or even molded
chocolate. The springform works like a mold so you have a perfect shape to
work with. You can make some spectacular cakes this way.

Cheers!
Mo

Old 14-01-2008, 12:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mo" wrote in message
[...]

Some pics of a birthday cake I made a few years back using a springform.
This cake would have been much harder to do without a springform. It is an
adaptation of the chocolate ruffle cake in 'Baking with Julia.'

Baked the chocolate genoise in the springform:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=834nzwn&s=1
sliced it into 3 layers
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6qcvib7&s=1
layered the cake, chocolate creme fraiche, cake, creme fraiche, raspberries,
and cake into the springform
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=87a2qhj&s=1
chilled, then unmolded
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=73ff246&s=1
Made a collar of dark chocolate, molded on a rectangular strip of plastic,
slightly higher than the cake. Wrapped the collar around the cake, then
piped more whipped creme fraiche onto the top
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=8a3zhv5&s=1
Next I printed 'happy birthday janie" on a sheet of paper backwards, put a
sheet of plastic over it, and piped in the words using white chocolate
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=71w00sg&s=1
Then streaked milk and dark chocolate over the letters to make the
background
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=8ax97ix&s=1
placed this on the chocolate collar surrounding the cake, and voila
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=86hc02d&s=1

It was a really delicious cake, as well as looking pretty cool. The cake
layers were soaked in raspberry liquor. There was whipped chocolate creme
fraiche between the bottom layers, and fresh raspberries and whipped plain
creme fraiche between the top two. I did another similar cake with cherries
and Crown Royal. I scalloped the top edge of the chocolate collar with a
cookie cutter to give the impression of a chocolate crown, and pressed in
candied cherries for 'jewels."

Cheers!
Mo

Old 14-01-2008, 04:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mo" wrote in message

It was a really delicious cake, as well as looking pretty cool. The cake
layers were soaked in raspberry liquor. There was whipped chocolate creme
fraiche between the bottom layers, and fresh raspberries and whipped plain
creme fraiche between the top two. I did another similar cake with
cherries and Crown Royal. I scalloped the top edge of the chocolate collar
with a cookie cutter to give the impression of a chocolate crown, and
pressed in candied cherries for 'jewels."

Cheers!
Mo

What talent! Thanks for the wonderful pictures.
Dee Dee

Old 14-01-2008, 04:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 13 Jan 2008 09:09:37p, Dee.Dee told us...

"Mo" wrote in message

It was a really delicious cake, as well as looking pretty cool. The
cake layers were soaked in raspberry liquor. There was whipped
chocolate creme fraiche between the bottom layers, and fresh
raspberries and whipped plain creme fraiche between the top two. I did
another similar cake with cherries and Crown Royal. I scalloped the top
edge of the chocolate collar with a cookie cutter to give the
impression of a chocolate crown, and pressed in candied cherries for
'jewels."

Cheers!
Mo

What talent! Thanks for the wonderful pictures.
Dee Dee

Yes, Mo, you do beautiful work!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 01(I)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
Portions of the preceding were
recorded. As for the rest of it, I'm
very much afraid it was all in your mind.

Old 14-01-2008, 05:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 13 Jan 2008 10:09:06p, Arri London told us...

Woolstitcher wrote:

I few months ago I bought a set of 3 spring form pans of graduating

sizes.
So far I have only used springform pans for cheesecake and flour-less
chocolate cake, right now (per request of my 8 year old daughter) I have
Dutch Baby in the oven. I have never made it in a springform before,

but
I'm sure that it will turn out fine.
I'm wondering what other people use their springform pans for? Besides
cheesecake
Thanks,

Any sort of cake that we want to be round, basically. Springform tins
are just about the only round tins I grew up with, other than
tube/kugelhopf tin.

Have never made a cheesecake in a springform tin.

What sort of pan do you make cheesecake in?

Originally, that was the sole reason I bought a springform many years ago.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 01(I)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
Cats must lick the cheese from the
grater when the human's back is turned.

Old 14-01-2008, 05:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" wrote in message

Woolstitcher wrote:

I few months ago I bought a set of 3 spring form pans of graduating
sizes.
So far I have only used springform pans for cheesecake and flour-less
chocolate cake, right now (per request of my 8 year old daughter) I have
Dutch Baby in the oven. I have never made it in a springform before, but
I'm sure that it will turn out fine.
I'm wondering what other people use their springform pans for? Besides
cheesecake
Thanks,

Any sort of cake that we want to be round, basically. Springform tins
are just about the only round tins I grew up with, other than
tube/kugelhopf tin.

Have never made a cheesecake in a springform tin.

That's a bit interesting that you grew up using springform tins, but you
have never made cheesecake in a springform tin. What accounts for that; in
that most every recipe more-or-less calls for springform when making
cheesecake.

I'd love to hear what you have to say about your experience.
Thanks,
Dee Dee

Old 14-01-2008, 02:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mo wrote:

"Mo" wrote in message
[...]

What a gorgeous cake! Thanks for sharing your photos and procedure;
educational as well as inspiring