Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Substitute for 9" Springform: 8" or 10"? (Making cheesecake)

Hi all,

I have two springform pans, an 8" and a 10" one, but not the 9" pan
that is called for in a cheesecake recipe I am making. I have never
made cheesecake before, so I'm not sure if something about it's
consistency would dictate which size substitute to go for (ie, it runs
liquidy, so use a smaller pan, etc).

Thanks for your help!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andrew wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have two springform pans, an 8" and a 10" one, but not the 9" pan
> that is called for in a cheesecake recipe I am making. I have never
> made cheesecake before, so I'm not sure if something about it's
> consistency would dictate which size substitute to go for (ie, it runs
> liquidy, so use a smaller pan, etc).
>
> Thanks for your help!

I think I'd probably choose the slightly larger pan in order to be sure
there was room for all of the filling, but others here might have a
different opinion. Also, whether to go larger or smaller would be
dictated by how much filling your recipe produces; you don't want to
fill your pan to the brim. Cheesecake batter is typically more on the
liquid than the solid side.

In any event, here's a link on pan substitution that you might find useful:

<http://www.baking911.com/pantry/substitutes_pansizes.htm>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 11:26:15 -0800 (PST), Andrew >
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have two springform pans, an 8" and a 10" one, but not the 9" pan
>that is called for in a cheesecake recipe I am making. I have never
>made cheesecake before, so I'm not sure if something about it's
>consistency would dictate which size substitute to go for (ie, it runs
>liquidy, so use a smaller pan, etc).
>
>Thanks for your help!

Since I like my cheesecake thick, I'd use the 8 inch one, but it
sounds like you're nervous so use the 10 in one. It will be thinner,
but it'll cook quicker. Also, I don't worry if your cheesecake isn't
perfectly set when you take it out of the oven. I let it cool down,
then chill in the refrigerator overnight and it sets up beautifully...
the result is nice and creamy.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Andrew > wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have two springform pans, an 8" and a 10" one, but not the 9" pan
> that is called for in a cheesecake recipe I am making. I have never
> made cheesecake before, so I'm not sure if something about it's
> consistency would dictate which size substitute to go for (ie, it runs
> liquidy, so use a smaller pan, etc).
>
> Thanks for your help!

Calculate the volume of the 8" and a 9" springform. Subtract from your
recipe the difference between the two pans and pour the remaining amount
into the prepared 8" pan and bake for about the same time, maybe less.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 22, 2:31*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> Calculate the volume of the 8" and a 9" springform. *Subtract from your
> recipe the difference between the two pans and pour the remaining amount
> into the prepared 8" pan and bake for about the same time, maybe less.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller
> Several entries posted 2-19-2009

=============================
Oh sure Miss Smarty-Pants! "Simply calculate the volume . . . "
Easy for YOU to say. You went to the University of Minnesota-la-la-
dee-dah dintcha know.
<g>
Lynn in Fargo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig wrote:
> On Feb 22, 2:31 pm, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:
>> Calculate the volume of the 8" and a 9" springform. Subtract from your
>> recipe the difference between the two pans and pour the remaining amount
>> into the prepared 8" pan and bake for about the same time, maybe less.
>> --
>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller
>> Several entries posted 2-19-2009

> =============================
> Oh sure Miss Smarty-Pants! "Simply calculate the volume . . . "
> Easy for YOU to say. You went to the University of Minnesota-la-la-
> dee-dah dintcha know.
> <g>
> Lynn in Fargo

The link I posted above provides volumes for an assortment of pan sizes;
it could come in handy:

<http://www.baking911.com/pantry/substitutes_pansizes.htm>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
>,
Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig > wrote:
> Oh sure Miss Smarty-Pants! "Simply calculate the volume . . . "
> Easy for YOU to say. You went to the University of Minnesota-la-la-
> dee-dah dintcha know.
> <g>
> Lynn in Fargo

I only went to its high school and flunked my last quarter of 9th grade
algebra to boot. Pfftthhhggbbtt!

BUT, he could also just fill each with water and subtract the difference
as above. Double pfthhggbbttt! LOL!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Several entries posted 2-19-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andrew wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have two springform pans, an 8" and a 10" one, but not the 9" pan
> that is called for in a cheesecake recipe I am making. I have never
> made cheesecake before, so I'm not sure if something about it's
> consistency would dictate which size substitute to go for (ie, it runs
> liquidy, so use a smaller pan, etc).
>
> Thanks for your help!

Go for the 8-inch one, fill about 2/3 full, and put the rest of the
batter in another small pan (or muffin tins). The ten-inch pan will make
the cheesecake too thin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" ha scritto nel messaggio
> Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig wrote:
>> Oh sure Miss Smarty-Pants! "Simply calculate the volume . . . "
>> Easy for YOU to say. You went to the University of Minnesota-la-la->>
>> dee-dah dintcha know.

> I only went to its high school and flunked my last quarter of 9th grade >
> algebra to boot.

But that was geometry! Kids used to whine, "Why do I have to take math?
I'll never use that stuff!" But they were wrong. Set an example here,
Barb!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Giusi" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" ha scritto nel messaggio
> > Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig wrote:
> >> Oh sure Miss Smarty-Pants! "Simply calculate the volume . . . "
> >> Easy for YOU to say. You went to the University of Minnesota-la-la->>
> >> dee-dah dintcha know.

> > I only went to its high school and flunked my last quarter of 9th grade >
> > algebra to boot.

> But that was geometry! Kids used to whine, "Why do I have to take math?
> I'll never use that stuff!" But they were wrong. Set an example here,
> Barb!

I'm a total loser at the abstract concepts of math. And I can compute
the tip on a meal check (while viewing it upside down from my
perspective) faster than Rob can adjust his glasses to get a good look
at it. :-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Several entries posted 2-21-2009

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> Kids used to whine, "Why do I have to take math?
> I'll never use that stuff!" But they were wrong. Set an example here,
> Barb!

Many years ago my future husband's fraternity was mostly pre-meds and
engineering students.

The engineers used to whine "Why do we have an English course
requirement? We're engineers, we'll never need it."

After graduation a large percentage of them were working in the
aerospace industry for private companies, writing contract proposals.
Ironic.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 19:41:05 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig > wrote:
>> Oh sure Miss Smarty-Pants! "Simply calculate the volume . . . "
>> Easy for YOU to say. You went to the University of Minnesota-la-la-
>> dee-dah dintcha know.
>> <g>
>> Lynn in Fargo

> I only went to its high school and flunked my last quarter of 9th grade
> algebra to boot. Pfftthhhggbbtt!
>
> BUT, he could also just fill each with water and subtract the difference
> as above. Double pfthhggbbttt! LOL!

see, you have natural talent.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 15:10:55 -0500, flitterbit wrote:

> Andrew wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have two springform pans, an 8" and a 10" one, but not the 9" pan
>> that is called for in a cheesecake recipe I am making. I have never
>> made cheesecake before, so I'm not sure if something about it's
>> consistency would dictate which size substitute to go for (ie, it runs
>> liquidy, so use a smaller pan, etc).
>>
>> Thanks for your help!
> >

> I think I'd probably choose the slightly larger pan in order to be sure
> there was room for all of the filling, but others here might have a
> different opinion. Also, whether to go larger or smaller would be
> dictated by how much filling your recipe produces; you don't want to
> fill your pan to the brim. Cheesecake batter is typically more on the
> liquid than the solid side.
>
> In any event, here's a link on pan substitution that you might find useful:
>
> <http://www.baking911.com/pantry/substitutes_pansizes.htm>

thanks for this, flitter. i bookmarked it for future ref.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> I'm a total loser at the abstract concepts of math. And I can compute
> the tip on a meal check (while viewing it upside down from my
> perspective) faster than Rob can adjust his glasses to get a good look
> at it. :-)

Me, too, on both counts. Tips are easy, especially if you tip
15 or 20%. It's 1 1/2 or 2x the check, then move the decimal point.

But then you know Rob and N are engineers and first they have to make
sure the check is ADDED correctly. It's amazing how often there's an
error, even in our favor. Yes, we do call those to attention, too.

Kind of funny: It has become a family joke that if our son is with us,
we have to count the entrees on the bill. THREE TIMES at different
restaurants when he's been with us in a group of five or more people
there has been an extra meal listed on the bill. Someone now invariably
says "Hey, J is with us, count the entrees."

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 15:10:55 -0500, flitterbit wrote:
>
>> Andrew wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have two springform pans, an 8" and a 10" one, but not the 9" pan
>>> that is called for in a cheesecake recipe I am making. I have never
>>> made cheesecake before, so I'm not sure if something about it's
>>> consistency would dictate which size substitute to go for (ie, it runs
>>> liquidy, so use a smaller pan, etc).
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help!
>> >

>> I think I'd probably choose the slightly larger pan in order to be sure
>> there was room for all of the filling, but others here might have a
>> different opinion. Also, whether to go larger or smaller would be
>> dictated by how much filling your recipe produces; you don't want to
>> fill your pan to the brim. Cheesecake batter is typically more on the
>> liquid than the solid side.
>>
>> In any event, here's a link on pan substitution that you might find useful:
>>
>> <http://www.baking911.com/pantry/substitutes_pansizes.htm>

> thanks for this, flitter. i bookmarked it for future ref.
>
> your pal,
> blake

You're welcome!