Old 15-11-2010, 03:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default English the funniest language

We will begin with BOX and the plural is BOXES.

But the plural OX should be OXEN and not OXES.

Visit for more

http://sites.google.com/site/easyeng...niest-language

Old 15-11-2010, 03:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/14/2010 10:15 PM, learnspeakingenglish wrote:
We will begin with BOX and the plural is BOXES.

But the plural OX should be OXEN and not OXES.

Visit for more

http://sites.google.com/site/easyeng...niest-language

How about French where Potatoes are apples of or from the earth.
English evolved from Germanic languages.
It is fascinating to read about some of the evolution. It is near
impossible with anyone with a Doctorate in languages to read old English.
How about Russian etc with the extra characters in the alphabet.
We studied that in elementary school but don't remember a thing about it.
We can't even pronounce the sounds.
how about Korean etc. Zeesh. I have relatives that to listen to them
speak of sing some of the dialects is nerve wrecking because I can't
understand or get into the rhythm of it.
Swedish, or how about the dialects of the Pygmies? Can you begin to
understand how to speak with clicks and other sounds we might not be
able to make now.
Old 15-11-2010, 04:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/14/2010 10:15 PM, learnspeakingenglish wrote: We will begin with BOX and the plural is BOXES.

http://sites.google.com/site/easyeng...-the-funniest-...

How about French where Potatoes are apples of or from the earth.
English evolved from Germanic languages.
It is fascinating to read about some of the evolution. It is near
impossible with anyone with a Doctorate in languages to read old English.
How about Russian etc with the extra characters in the alphabet.
We studied that in elementary school but don't remember a thing about it.
We can't even pronounce the sounds.
how about Korean etc. Zeesh. I have relatives that to listen to them
speak of sing some of the dialects is nerve wrecking because I can't
understand or get into the rhythm of it.
Swedish, or how about the dialects of the Pygmies? Can you begin to
understand how to speak with clicks and other sounds we might not be
able to make now.

==
My one grandmother came from Norway and when she wrote letters to my
mom she wrote like she spoke. As kids, we thought it was quite neat. I
"tink" so.
==
Old 15-11-2010, 05:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 19:15:04 -0800 (PST), learnspeakingenglish
wrote:

We will begin with BOX and the plural is BOXES.

But the plural OX should be OXEN and not OXES.

And I had shrimpen for dinner. Or is that shrimpes.

ObFood: I just made sugar cookies with Heath toffee chips on top.

-sw
Old 15-11-2010, 06:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 14, 10:15*pm, learnspeakingenglish
wrote:
We will begin with BOX and the plural is BOXES.

But the plural OX should be OXEN and not OXES.

Visit for more

http://sites.google.com/site/easyeng...-the-funniest-...

What I'd like to know is how come bough, cough, dough, rough, and
tough don't all rhyme? What about bomb, comb, tomb, and womb?

Old 15-11-2010, 08:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

We will begin with BOX and the plural is BOXES.

But the plural OX should be OXEN and not OXES.

Visit for more

http://sites.google.com/site/easyeng...-the-funniest-...

What I'd like to know is how come bough, cough, dough, rough, and
tough don't all rhyme? What about bomb, comb, tomb, and womb?

The sewer sat in the sewer, the bass swam around the bass drum, i read
and i have read about heteronyms.

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Old 15-11-2010, 08:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
We will begin with BOX and the plural is BOXES.

But the plural OX should be OXEN and not OXES.

Visit for more

http://sites.google.com/site/easyeng...-the-funniest-...

What I'd like to know is how come bough, cough, dough, rough, and
tough don't all rhyme? What about bomb, comb, tomb, and womb?

Just to catch you out.... eg
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 15-11-2010, 12:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 14, 10:53*pm, Lil Abner wrote:
[...]

The German word for potato is Kartoffel. However in my German dialect
potatoes are referred to as: Erd Aepffel. Erd = Earth, Aepfell(the
way we pronounce it) = Appels.
Old 15-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia[_7_] View Post
wrote:
We will begin with BOX and the plural is BOXES.

But the plural OX should be OXEN and not OXES.

Visit for more

http://sites.google.com/site/easyeng...-the-funniest-...

What I'd like to know is how come bough, cough, dough, rough, and
tough don't all rhyme? What about bomb, comb, tomb, and womb?

Just to catch you out.... eg
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
English just added it's one millionth word. I don't know what it is; but you can bet it's some chemical.

By comparison, Italian has 250-350,000, Mandarin Chinese, 500,000. We got a lot of syntax to figure out.
Old 15-11-2010, 02:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"A Moose In Love" schrieb :
On Nov 14, 10:53 pm, Lil Abner wrote:
On 11/14/2010 10:15 PM, learnspeakingenglish wrote: We will begin with
BOX and the plural is BOXES.

But the plural OX should be OXEN and not OXES.

Visit for more

How about French where Potatoes are apples of or from the earth.
English evolved from Germanic languages.

The German word for potato is Kartoffel. However in my German dialect
potatoes are referred to as: Erd Aepffel. Erd = Earth, Aepfell(the
way we pronounce it) = Appels.

Erdapfel. Erdaepfel is the plural.
Tomato = Paradeiser (apple from paradise).

Servus,

Michael Kuettner

Old 15-11-2010, 03:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

We will begin with BOX and the plural is BOXES.

But the plural OX should be OXEN and not OXES.

And the plural of YOU is not Y'ALL, it's YOOSE.
Old 15-11-2010, 03:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
We will begin with BOX and the plural is BOXES.

But the plural OX should be OXEN and not OXES.

Visit for more

http://sites.google.com/site/easyeng...-the-funniest-...

What I'd like to know is how come bough, cough, dough, rough, and
tough don't all rhyme? *What about bomb, comb, tomb, and womb?

And don't forget trough.
Old 15-11-2010, 03:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
We will begin with BOX and the plural is BOXES.

But the plural OX should be OXEN and not OXES.

Visit for more

http://sites.google.com/site/easyeng...-the-funniest-...

What I'd like to know is how come bough, cough, dough, rough, and
tough don't all rhyme? What about bomb, comb, tomb, and womb?

And don't forget trough.

Indeed... g

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 15-11-2010, 03:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
We will begin with BOX and the plural is BOXES.

But the plural OX should be OXEN and not OXES.

Visit for more

http://sites.google.com/site/easyeng...-the-funniest-...

What I'd like to know is how come bough, cough, dough, rough, and
tough don't all rhyme? What about bomb, comb, tomb, and womb?

And don't forget trough.

Indeed... g

Or overlook through.

Old 15-11-2010, 03:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

http://sites.google.com/site/easyeng...-funniest-...-

What I'd like to know is how come bough, cough, dough, rough, and
tough don't all rhyme? What about bomb, comb, tomb, and womb?-

Just to catch you out.... eg
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

English just added it's one millionth word. I don't know what it is; but
you can bet it's some chemical.

By comparison, Italian has 250-350,000, Mandarin Chinese, 500,000. We
got a lot of syntax to figure out.

"English doesn't borrow from other languages.
English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over,
and goes through their pockets for loose grammar."
(Mark Twain ?)

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner