Andrew

Default What's your funniest baking story ?

What's your funniest baking story you experienced so far, where you or
someone you know, were baking something and had a funny or disastrous
thing occur while trying to bake something.
Richard Periut

Andrew wrote:
> What's your funniest baking story you experienced so far, where you or
> someone you know, were baking something and had a funny or disastrous
> thing occur while trying to bake something.

During my college days, me and my buddy bought some steaks to grill on
our balcony (not really a balcony but an extension of the roof of the
building below us.) Me or my friend (we were sort of drunk,) after the
charcoal was lit, placed the steaks on the grill; including (without us
knowing,) the plastic square that comes from most stupidmarket steaks
below the meat.

The result, unaware to us, a rather large flame that the neighbors
thought was a building fire (they couldn't see it was a grill from their
vantage point.)

Very embarrassing to say the least when the fireman arrived and the
whole neighborhood was standing outside.

It was a miracle they didn't give us a fine!

Rich

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."

As long as I breath, I hope.

Cicero

Puester

Andrew wrote:

> What's your funniest baking story you experienced so far, where you or
> someone you know, were baking something and had a funny or disastrous
> thing occur while trying to bake something.

1. While removing a half-sheet chocolate cake from the oven
the pot-holder slipped and the whole thing flipped over onto
the floor. It was very hot and still crumbly so it all fell
apart. I didn't think it was so funny at the time, just got
all the ingredients out and started over.

2. While preparing her mother's traditional Christmas bread
for baking, my late mother-in-law (in her 80's at the time)
suddenly decided it looked strange. She re-read the recipe and
discovered she had left out the quart of scalded milk.
"I wondered why it was so hard to knead" was her comment.

3. Her Depression Era second husband was the epitome of frugality.
One year for Christmas baking he convinced her not to buy walnuts
and pecans, but to make fruitcake with peanuts instead. He
was the only one who would eat the results.

4. My 30-something neighbor decided she was going to become
domestic and bake chocolate chip cookies. She called to ask
"What does 'cream the butter and sugar' mean?"

gloria p
Puester

Andrew wrote:

> What's your funniest baking story you experienced so far, where you or
> someone you know, were baking something and had a funny or disastrous
> thing occur while trying to bake something.

1. While removing a half-sheet chocolate cake from the oven
the pot-holder slipped and the whole thing flipped over onto
the floor. It was very hot and still crumbly so it all fell
apart. I didn't think it was so funny at the time, just got
all the ingredients out and started over.

2. While preparing her mother's traditional Christmas bread
for baking, my late mother-in-law (in her 80's at the time)
suddenly decided it looked strange. She re-read the recipe and
discovered she had left out the quart of scalded milk.
"I wondered why it was so hard to knead" was her comment.

3. Her Depression Era second husband was the epitome of frugality.
One year for Christmas baking he convinced her not to buy walnuts
and pecans, but to make fruitcake with peanuts instead. He
was the only one who would eat the results.

4. My 30-something neighbor decided she was going to become
domestic and bake chocolate chip cookies. She called to ask
"What does 'cream the butter and sugar' mean?"

gloria p
AustinMN

Andrew wrote:
> What's your funniest baking story you experienced so far, where you or
> someone you know, were baking something and had a funny or disastrous
> thing occur while trying to bake something.

Can I borrow one from my mother?

The only time I can remember by mother really burning something was when she
put a chocolate cake in the oven just before supper. My father turned off
the oven the next morning when he got up for work. She didn't burn a lot of
food, but that cake made up for the rest!

I don't know why the smoke didn't wake us, but I know a smoke alarm would
have done so today.

Austin

Paula Y.

"Puester" > wrote in message

> 1. While removing a half-sheet chocolate cake from the oven
> the pot-holder slipped and the whole thing flipped over onto
> the floor. It was very hot and still crumbly so it all fell
> apart. I didn't think it was so funny at the time, just got
> all the ingredients out and started over.
>
> 2. While preparing her mother's traditional Christmas bread
> for baking, my late mother-in-law (in her 80's at the time)
> suddenly decided it looked strange. She re-read the recipe and
> discovered she had left out the quart of scalded milk.
> "I wondered why it was so hard to knead" was her comment.
>
> 3. Her Depression Era second husband was the epitome of frugality.
> One year for Christmas baking he convinced her not to buy walnuts
> and pecans, but to make fruitcake with peanuts instead. He
> was the only one who would eat the results.
>
> 4. My 30-something neighbor decided she was going to become
> domestic and bake chocolate chip cookies. She called to ask
> "What does 'cream the butter and sugar' mean?"
>
> gloria p

I had a friend once ask me how to cook Top Ramen. I told her to
boil some water. She gave me the funniest look and said "How do I do
that?"

Paula Y.

"Puester" > wrote in message

> 1. While removing a half-sheet chocolate cake from the oven
> the pot-holder slipped and the whole thing flipped over onto
> the floor. It was very hot and still crumbly so it all fell
> apart. I didn't think it was so funny at the time, just got
> all the ingredients out and started over.
>
> 2. While preparing her mother's traditional Christmas bread
> for baking, my late mother-in-law (in her 80's at the time)
> suddenly decided it looked strange. She re-read the recipe and
> discovered she had left out the quart of scalded milk.
> "I wondered why it was so hard to knead" was her comment.
>
> 3. Her Depression Era second husband was the epitome of frugality.
> One year for Christmas baking he convinced her not to buy walnuts
> and pecans, but to make fruitcake with peanuts instead. He
> was the only one who would eat the results.
>
> 4. My 30-something neighbor decided she was going to become
> domestic and bake chocolate chip cookies. She called to ask
> "What does 'cream the butter and sugar' mean?"
>
> gloria p

I had a friend once ask me how to cook Top Ramen. I told her to
boil some water. She gave me the funniest look and said "How do I do
that?"

sf

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 02:16:15 GMT, "Paula Y." >
wrote:

> I had a friend once ask me how to cook Top Ramen. I told her to
> boil some water. She gave me the funniest look and said "How do I do
> that?"

That's the kind of people you change the conversation to
current events or politics with.

sf
sf

wrote:

> I had a friend once ask me how to cook Top Ramen. I told her to
> boil some water. She gave me the funniest look and said "How do I do
> that?"

That's the kind of people you change the conversation to
current events or politics with.

sf
Katra

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 02:16:15 GMT, "Paula Y." >
> wrote:
> >
> > I had a friend once ask me how to cook Top Ramen. I told her to
> > boil some water. She gave me the funniest look and said "How do I do
> > that?"
> >

> That's the kind of people you change the conversation to
> current events or politics with.
>

> sf
> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

<shiver> That was _scary_!!!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 02:16:15 GMT, "Paula Y." >
> wrote:
> >
> > I had a friend once ask me how to cook Top Ramen. I told her to
> > boil some water. She gave me the funniest look and said "How do I do
> > that?"
> >

> That's the kind of people you change the conversation to
> current events or politics with.
>

> sf
> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

<shiver> That was _scary_!!!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

richard green

More pathetic than funny but............Once when I was at cooking school, I
arrived late for the 8.00 a.m. baking class with a raging hangover, barely
able to think and breathe at the same time through the ethanol fumes. We
were making a fruit flan and although I thought I'd followed all the steps
correctly, it turned out I forgot to place the foil sheet on the pastry case
in the blind baking stage. The rice adhered to the pastry beautifully and
the resulting creation looked like somekind of baked risotto tart
:-( One for the yearbook.

Richard.

"Andrew" > wrote in message
m...
> What's your funniest baking story you experienced so far, where you or
> someone you know, were baking something and had a funny or disastrous
> thing occur while trying to bake something.

richard green

More pathetic than funny but............Once when I was at cooking school, I
arrived late for the 8.00 a.m. baking class with a raging hangover, barely
able to think and breathe at the same time through the ethanol fumes. We
were making a fruit flan and although I thought I'd followed all the steps
correctly, it turned out I forgot to place the foil sheet on the pastry case
in the blind baking stage. The rice adhered to the pastry beautifully and
the resulting creation looked like somekind of baked risotto tart
:-( One for the yearbook.

Richard.

"Andrew" > wrote in message
m...
> What's your funniest baking story you experienced so far, where you or
> someone you know, were baking something and had a funny or disastrous
> thing occur while trying to bake something.

maxine in ri

Andrew wrote:

> What's your funniest baking story you experienced so far, where you or
> someone you know, were baking something and had a funny or disastrous
> thing occur while trying to bake something.

My mom taught me to make chocolate chip cookies and scrambled eggs.
Period. She didn't like to let go in the kitchen (still doesn't).
When I first moved out, I shared an apartment with a bunch of other
kids, and read about a recipe for Native American bread made with
just flour and water. So, I mixed it up, and put it in a pie pan,
and baked it.

Made a great doorstop, pan and all.

Nowadays, I grease the pan before adding the cement....

maxine in ri
maxine in ri

Andrew wrote:

> What's your funniest baking story you experienced so far, where you or
> someone you know, were baking something and had a funny or disastrous
> thing occur while trying to bake something.

My mom taught me to make chocolate chip cookies and scrambled eggs.
Period. She didn't like to let go in the kitchen (still doesn't).
When I first moved out, I shared an apartment with a bunch of other
kids, and read about a recipe for Native American bread made with
just flour and water. So, I mixed it up, and put it in a pie pan,
and baked it.

Made a great doorstop, pan and all.

Nowadays, I grease the pan before adding the cement....

maxine in ri
J.J. in WA

Our pal (Andrew) wrote:

> What's your funniest baking story you experienced so far, where you or
> someone you know, were baking something and had a funny or disastrous
> thing occur while trying to bake something.

Age 13; I was baking a vanilla sheet cake while staying on my
father's sailboat, and the stove ran out of propane. I had no idea
how to change out the bottles, so I simply left the cake (half-baked)
in the oven until Dad got home from work. So far, so bad.

I had tried to make something called "Pink Mountain Candy Frosting"
from an old Betty Crocker cookbook, but it had a meringue quality
that I didn't like so I threw it overboard for the crabs. I walked
four miles to the local store and bought baking chocolate to make a
cooked fudge frosting instead.

When Dad got home, I finished baking the cake and we started the
fudge frosting which called for beating it in an ice bath. It didn't
seem thick enough, so we kept beating and beating much longer than
the recipe called for. We eventually gave up, and found that after
sitting, the frosting got so thick that it was the consistancy of
actual fudge!

But I wasn't about to give up, so I cut the cooled and very dense
cake into four layers, then pressed the frosting with buttered hands
into sheets and alternated it with layers of cake. I still remember
how it tasted -- it was wonderful!! And I couldn't duplicate it if
my life depended on it... :-)

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
J.J. in WA

Our pal (Andrew) wrote:

> What's your funniest baking story you experienced so far, where you or
> someone you know, were baking something and had a funny or disastrous
> thing occur while trying to bake something.

Age 13; I was baking a vanilla sheet cake while staying on my
father's sailboat, and the stove ran out of propane. I had no idea
how to change out the bottles, so I simply left the cake (half-baked)
in the oven until Dad got home from work. So far, so bad.

I had tried to make something called "Pink Mountain Candy Frosting"
from an old Betty Crocker cookbook, but it had a meringue quality
that I didn't like so I threw it overboard for the crabs. I walked
four miles to the local store and bought baking chocolate to make a
cooked fudge frosting instead.

When Dad got home, I finished baking the cake and we started the
fudge frosting which called for beating it in an ice bath. It didn't
seem thick enough, so we kept beating and beating much longer than
the recipe called for. We eventually gave up, and found that after
sitting, the frosting got so thick that it was the consistancy of
actual fudge!

But I wasn't about to give up, so I cut the cooled and very dense
cake into four layers, then pressed the frosting with buttered hands
into sheets and alternated it with layers of cake. I still remember
how it tasted -- it was wonderful!! And I couldn't duplicate it if
my life depended on it... :-)

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
(COLD to HOT for e-mail)
Orion

"Andrew" > wrote in message
m...
> What's your funniest baking story you experienced so far, where you or
> someone you know, were baking something and had a funny or disastrous
> thing occur while trying to bake something.

What's yours???

Suzan

Denise~*

On 9 Sep 2004 18:01:18 -0700, (Andrew) wrote:

>What's your funniest baking story you experienced so far, where you or
>someone you know, were baking something and had a funny or disastrous
>thing occur while trying to bake something.

My sister decided she wanted to make an Oreo Cheese Cake from a recipe
found in a magazine (we still have the recipe & its wonderful) and
asked if I wanted to help. Sure, big sis asking my help, how exciting
it was. We were not exactly inexperienced in the kitchen, and had
made tons of cookie & brownies already in our lives.

Anyhoo, this is me in Jr. High & her I think a Freshman in HS.
So we walk to the store to get the extra ingredients (Cream cheese &
Oreo's) and walk home. It was about a 30 to 40 min walk. Proceed to
make the cake. Mind you, this is a huge NY cheese cake that takes an
entire large package of Oreos for the crust and inside the cake.

We get the mixing almost done & my sister realizes she forgot to add
an ingredient, so we add it in at that point. I forget what it was
that we forgot, but we strived forward & tried to bake it. Horrible.

So, we go to the store again & get the same cream cheese & Oreo
package again (along with some eggs this time), go back home & try
again. This time we made another mistake in the ingredients and the
result, horrible.

We go to the store again & get the same ingredients again, go back
home & try again. Thinking & hoping everything is great & wonderful
this time.

We left it in the oven & over cooked it.

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"

Kajikit

Andrew had something important to tell us on 9 Sep 2004 18:01:18
-0700:

>What's your funniest baking story you experienced so far, where you or
>someone you know, were baking something and had a funny or disastrous
>thing occur while trying to bake something.

I have no idea what I did wrong, but last week I made a totally
disastrous apple cake.
The first mistake was sprinkling the apple with water before I put it
in the microwave (because it looked too dry...) and adding the butter
and sugar at hte same time. So much juice came out of the apples that
It ended up swimming in a sort of caramel soup.
My second mistake was adding cooked up oatmeal to it instead of the
fine-crushed oats I usually use. I didn't want it to be lumpy so I
mixed the oatmeal up with the usual amount of water and cooked it
before I mixed it in. Then I mixed up the cake as usual, only it ended
up too heavy for me to stir, so I put MORE water in. I put it in the
oven and hoped for the best...
Let me just say - you know there's something seriously wrong with your
recipe when you look into the oven and see the cake BOILING around the
edges...
When the cake came out the oven it was at the same time hard, soggy,
glutinous, and also crumbling apart to the touch. I didn't even know
it was possible for a cake to posses all of those qualities at the
same time! Nobody was game to eat it, so I let it cool down and put it
in the fridge overnight, then I ground up half of it in the food
processor, added breadcrumbs, a pile more dried fruit, sugar and eggs
and cooked it up into a steamed pudding. It was STILL heavy as lead
when it came out the steamer, but at least it was edible.

--
~Karen AKA Kajikit
Lover of shiny things...

Made as of 10th Sept 2004 - 107 cards, 66 SB pages, 10 digital SB pages, 72 decos

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
blake murphy

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 06:10:04 GMT, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 02:16:15 GMT, "Paula Y." >
>wrote:
>>
>> I had a friend once ask me how to cook Top Ramen. I told her to
>> boil some water. She gave me the funniest look and said "How do I do
>> that?"
>>

>That's the kind of people you change the conversation to
>current events or politics with.
>

>sf
>Practice safe eating - always use condiments

not unless you want to talk politics with idiots.

your pal,
blake
blake murphy

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 06:10:04 GMT, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 02:16:15 GMT, "Paula Y." >
>wrote:
>>
>> I had a friend once ask me how to cook Top Ramen. I told her to
>> boil some water. She gave me the funniest look and said "How do I do
>> that?"
>>

>That's the kind of people you change the conversation to
>current events or politics with.
>

>sf
>Practice safe eating - always use condiments

not unless you want to talk politics with idiots.

your pal,
blake
Doug Freyburger

Andrew wrote:

> What's your funniest baking story you experienced so far, where you or
> someone you know, were baking something and had a funny or disastrous
> thing occur while trying to bake something.

I love roast goose. Roast goose generates a lot of rendered goose
oil. It's fabulous for frying eggs and such, but I wanted a recipe
to reduce the amount on hand after I had roast goose.

Back when I was in college living in an apartment near campus, I
encountered a recipe that used most of the oil. It was rich pears
baked in brandy and rendered goose oil. Quite delicious though
more filling than I could imagine before I tasted them.

The second time I tried the recipe, when I reached into the oven to
check the baked pears with brandy and oil, I used a potholder with
a hole. Ouch! The heat burned my finger and I pulled fast. The
liquid spilled on the bottom of the oven. Alcohol as an igniter,
oil as a sustainer. A burst of flame came shooting out at me from
the oven door. It was like staring into an erupting volcano since
my face was down facing the pears.

I jumped back, looked around, and saw a kettle with vegitable peels
and water in the sink. I grabbed the kettle and tossed the water
into the oven to put out the flames, dropped the pan on the floor,
slammed the oven shut, and turned off the gas. What a mess. The
fire was out, the light bulb in the oven shattered, there was water
and grease all over the kitchen.

Fortunately the pears had been a dessert course. Everything else
was on the table. So I splashed clean water on my face to reduce
how dazed I felt, and enjoyed the meal with a bunch of my friends.

Good thing it was a Saturday because it took all of the next day to
clean up the kitchen.
Doug Freyburger

Andrew wrote:

> What's your funniest baking story you experienced so far, where you or
> someone you know, were baking something and had a funny or disastrous
> thing occur while trying to bake something.

I love roast goose. Roast goose generates a lot of rendered goose
oil. It's fabulous for frying eggs and such, but I wanted a recipe
to reduce the amount on hand after I had roast goose.

Back when I was in college living in an apartment near campus, I
encountered a recipe that used most of the oil. It was rich pears
baked in brandy and rendered goose oil. Quite delicious though
more filling than I could imagine before I tasted them.

The second time I tried the recipe, when I reached into the oven to
check the baked pears with brandy and oil, I used a potholder with
a hole. Ouch! The heat burned my finger and I pulled fast. The
liquid spilled on the bottom of the oven. Alcohol as an igniter,
oil as a sustainer. A burst of flame came shooting out at me from
the oven door. It was like staring into an erupting volcano since
my face was down facing the pears.

I jumped back, looked around, and saw a kettle with vegitable peels
and water in the sink. I grabbed the kettle and tossed the water
into the oven to put out the flames, dropped the pan on the floor,
slammed the oven shut, and turned off the gas. What a mess. The
fire was out, the light bulb in the oven shattered, there was water
and grease all over the kitchen.

Fortunately the pears had been a dessert course. Everything else
was on the table. So I splashed clean water on my face to reduce
how dazed I felt, and enjoyed the meal with a bunch of my friends.

Good thing it was a Saturday because it took all of the next day to
clean up the kitchen.

Margaret Suran

Rick & Cyndi wrote:
> "Wayne" > wrote in message

(Andrew) wrote in news:11a6e951.0409091701.2b64cc3
:

>>>What's your funniest baking story you experienced so far, where you or
>>>someone you know, were baking something and had a funny or disastrous
>>>thing occur while trying to bake something.
>>>

>>I was about 15 when I decided to attempt my first yeast bread, which was
>>an Italian easter bread formed in a horseshoe shape and dyed eggs nestled
>>in it. My mother never baked with yeast, so knew nothing to advise me.
>>I followed the recipe to the letter and managed to not kill the yeast.
>>After the second I was ready to shape the dough. The recipe stated that
>>it made 3 horseshoe breads, but the amount of dough certainly didn't look
>>like it could produce that much. I formed just 1 horseshoe out of the
>>whole recipe of dough, and put it on a baking sheet. I let it raise a
>>bit and popped it in the oven. Well *shades of Lucy*! It didn't push
>>open the oven door, but it was stuck to the sides and back of the oven!
>>
>>--
>>Wayne in Phoenix
>>=========

> <giggle> ...wish I could have been there... I can only imagine the look on
> your face!
>
> Cyndi

This makes me feel good. It shows that there are other fools in this
world.

When I wanted to make rice as a side dish to roasted chicken for a
company dinner, I thought I would need half a cup for each person.
that made three cups of rice for six and that is the amount of raw
rice I put into the little pot, just covering the rice with water.
Once the water that covered the rice started to boil, I covered the
pot tightly, turned the flame low and ran to the corner bakery to get
fresh bread for dinner.

You have to close your eyes and imagine what awaited me upon my return
to the kitchen. ( I was twenty years old, married one year and in
my first apartment, after we had to live with my parents for a year.

That was before my goose dinner and my duck dinner in the same
apartment, both much too painful to remember.

Margaret Suran

Rick & Cyndi wrote:
> "Wayne" > wrote in message

(Andrew) wrote in news:11a6e951.0409091701.2b64cc3
:

>>>What's your funniest baking story you experienced so far, where you or
>>>someone you know, were baking something and had a funny or disastrous
>>>thing occur while trying to bake something.
>>>

>>I was about 15 when I decided to attempt my first yeast bread, which was
>>an Italian easter bread formed in a horseshoe shape and dyed eggs nestled
>>in it. My mother never baked with yeast, so knew nothing to advise me.
>>I followed the recipe to the letter and managed to not kill the yeast.
>>After the second I was ready to shape the dough. The recipe stated that
>>it made 3 horseshoe breads, but the amount of dough certainly didn't look
>>like it could produce that much. I formed just 1 horseshoe out of the
>>whole recipe of dough, and put it on a baking sheet. I let it raise a
>>bit and popped it in the oven. Well *shades of Lucy*! It didn't push
>>open the oven door, but it was stuck to the sides and back of the oven!
>>
>>--
>>Wayne in Phoenix
>>=========

> <giggle> ...wish I could have been there... I can only imagine the look on
> your face!
>
> Cyndi

This makes me feel good. It shows that there are other fools in this
world.

When I wanted to make rice as a side dish to roasted chicken for a
company dinner, I thought I would need half a cup for each person.
that made three cups of rice for six and that is the amount of raw
rice I put into the little pot, just covering the rice with water.
Once the water that covered the rice started to boil, I covered the
pot tightly, turned the flame low and ran to the corner bakery to get
fresh bread for dinner.

You have to close your eyes and imagine what awaited me upon my return
to the kitchen. ( I was twenty years old, married one year and in
my first apartment, after we had to live with my parents for a year.

That was before my goose dinner and my duck dinner in the same
apartment, both much too painful to remember.

Wayne

Margaret Suran > wrote in
:

> Rick & Cyndi wrote:
>> "Wayne" > wrote in message

(Andrew) wrote in news:11a6e951.0409091701.2b64cc3
:

>>>I was about 15 when I decided to attempt my first yeast bread, which
>>>was an Italian easter bread formed in a horseshoe shape and dyed eggs
>>>nestled in it. My mother never baked with yeast, so knew nothing to
>>>advise me. I followed the recipe to the letter and managed to not
>>>kill the yeast. After the second I was ready to shape the dough. The
>>>recipe stated that it made 3 horseshoe breads, but the amount of
>>>dough certainly didn't look like it could produce that much. I
>>>formed just 1 horseshoe out of the whole recipe of dough, and put it
>>>on a baking sheet. I let it raise a bit and popped it in the oven.
>>>Well *shades of Lucy*! It didn't push open the oven door, but it was
>>>stuck to the sides and back of the oven!
>>>
>>>--
>>>Wayne in Phoenix
>>>=========

>> <giggle> ...wish I could have been there... I can only imagine the
>> look on your face!
>>
>> Cyndi

> This makes me feel good. It shows that there are other fools in this
> world.
>
> When I wanted to make rice as a side dish to roasted chicken for a
> company dinner, I thought I would need half a cup for each person.
> that made three cups of rice for six and that is the amount of raw
> rice I put into the little pot, just covering the rice with water.
> Once the water that covered the rice started to boil, I covered the
> pot tightly, turned the flame low and ran to the corner bakery to get
> fresh bread for dinner.
>
> You have to close your eyes and imagine what awaited me upon my return
> to the kitchen. ( I was twenty years old, married one year and in
> my first apartment, after we had to live with my parents for a year.

OMG, I can just imagine!

From one extreme to another... In the southern US it was/is customary to
boil rice in copious amounts of water until tender, then drain and steam
before serving. As a youth I knew that from watching relatives cook it.
I didn't describe that process to a friend at work when I said I was
cooking rice for supper. She told me to make sure that all the water was
absorbed and the rice would be done. Not realizing there was more than
one method, and with only that comment, I ended up with a pot of rice
slurry that took a couple of hours to cook!

> That was before my goose dinner and my duck dinner in the same
> apartment, both much too painful to remember.

Oh, Margaret, do tell about the goose and the duck! That's got to be
good.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Darryl L. Pierce

Andrew wrote:

> What's your funniest baking story you experienced so far, where you or
> someone you know, were baking something and had a funny or disastrous
> thing occur while trying to bake something.

This past summer, for my birthday, I baked a carrot cake (our tradition is
that my wife gives me a new recipe each year for carrot cake). I didn't pay
attention to the volume of batter made or that the recipe called for 10"
pans when I divided and poured the batter into two 9" pans. I realized my
mistake and *tried* to back off the batter (I used the excess to make
cupcakes).

Anyway, while baking, the batter bubbled over the sides of the pans and onto
the bottom of my oven. The cake came out fine, I just had to trim the
layers a bit to make them level.

When I put the cupcakes in to bake, though, was when the tragedy happened.
Some of the batter from the cake had gotten onto the elements and caught
fire! The fire was almost directly below the pan and so some of the
cupcakes were rock hard while the rest were perfectly soft and moist.

--
/**
* @author Darryl L. Pierce >