Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Unappetizing food language in North American English

I find North American English, with its propensity for inverting
syntactically sound expressions and creating verbs out of sows' ears
(to Christmas shop, to grocery shop, etc.), has produced some rather
unappetizing terms for food usually as some sort of abbreviation. A
few came up recently and I thought I'd start a thread on this, as a
form of recreation (because this is after all a rec.* newsgroup).

NOTE: I specifically said North American as this aberration can also
be found in parts of Canada.

So here are a few:

"from scratch", or worse "scratch" (as in "scratch cake"...oy, the
mental image of cake made from flaky dead skin or dandruff)

"tub" as in "tub of margarine" or yogurt, or worse "tub butter". What
the hell is "tub butter" and who would want any? The word "tub"
conjures up the idea of a large receptacle in which people bathe and
lose their dead skin, floating in soapy water...again with the dead
skin image.

"tablespread" or the use of "spread" to mean a soft substance...I'm
not even going there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 12, 10:27*am, " >
wrote:
> I find North American English, with its propensity for inverting
> syntactically sound expressions and creating verbs out of sows' ears
> (to Christmas shop, to grocery shop, etc.), has produced some rather
> unappetizing terms for food usually as some sort of abbreviation. *A
> few came up recently and I thought I'd start a thread on this, as a
> form of recreation (because this is after all a rec.* newsgroup).
>
> NOTE: I specifically said North American as this aberration can also
> be found in parts of Canada.
>
> So here are a few:
>
> "from scratch", or worse "scratch" (as in "scratch cake"...oy, the
> mental image of cake made from flaky dead skin or dandruff)
>
> "tub" as in "tub of margarine" or yogurt, or worse "tub butter". *What
> the hell is "tub butter" and who would want any? *The word "tub"
> conjures up the idea of a large receptacle in which people bathe and
> lose their dead skin, floating in soapy water...again with the dead
> skin image.
>
> "tablespread" or the use of "spread" to mean a soft substance...I'm
> not even going there.

Wait till you encounter Barb's "Dead Spread" - the food after the
funeral.

Lynn in Fargo
"smashed" potatoes?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default WARNING: Gross post Unappetizing food language i

On Nov 12, 11:27*am, " >
wrote:
> I find North American English, with its propensity for inverting
> syntactically sound expressions and creating verbs out of sows' ears
> (to Christmas shop, to grocery shop, etc.), has produced some rather
> unappetizing terms for food usually as some sort of abbreviation. *A
> few came up recently and I thought I'd start a thread on this, as a
> form of recreation (because this is after all a rec.* newsgroup).
>
> NOTE: I specifically said North American as this aberration can also
> be found in parts of Canada.
>
> So here are a few:
>
> "from scratch", or worse "scratch" (as in "scratch cake"...oy, the
> mental image of cake made from flaky dead skin or dandruff)
>
> "tub" as in "tub of margarine" or yogurt, or worse "tub butter". *What
> the hell is "tub butter" and who would want any? *The word "tub"
> conjures up the idea of a large receptacle in which people bathe and
> lose their dead skin, floating in soapy water...again with the dead
> skin image.
>
> "tablespread" or the use of "spread" to mean a soft substance...I'm
> not even going there.

Comes from that great kid song which most of us were privy to during
our formative years:

Great big gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts
mutilated monkey meat
little birdie's bloody feet
One half pint of all purpose porpoise pus
floating in grade A blood,
and me without a spooooon!
(there are variations; my DH from NJ has a somewhat different
version)

maxine in ri
repository of many many many songs of similar caliber
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> wrote:
>
> > I find North American English,

> So tell us where you from and im sure we can find equally disturbing
> usage of language in whatever place of origin you claim.
> Given the nature of your complaint i would guess you are "English" and
> thus subject to all the criticism that goes with a country that sustain
> class distinctions based on the spoken word.

Michel Boucher is French - Canadian and IIRC lives in the Ottawa area...he
is a long - time poster here. IIRC he is (or was) a librarian for the
Canadian Parliament...

He HATES the English language and also ALL Anglophones, he holds them in
sneering contempt...in fact I believe he is on some sort of "Do Not Enter"
list for the United States!

Politically speaking he is also a die - hard COMMUNIST who would love
nothing more than seeing old Soviet - style communism reigning as the one
and only socio - political system in all the world. His ideal world would
be present - day Cuba - - with a swinging Francophone beat, natch...

That said I always enjoy Michel's food posts, I myself have learned much
about poutine and other things...those French Canadians surely have a
penchant for rustic peasant dishes.

I know he'll really appreciate that subscription to _The Western Standard_
and _The Collected Works of Mark Steyn_ ("bound in calfskin, embossed in
gold...") that I'm gifting him for the upcoming holiday (in his case New
Year's, him being a communist Christmas is verboten and all...)...

:-)

--
Best
Greg

" I find Greg Morrow lowbrow, witless, and obnoxious. For him to claim that
we are some
kind of comedy team turns my stomach."
- "cybercat" to me on rec.food.cooking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote in message

>> I find North American English,

<snip>

Wait a minute.

If Biscuits are cookies
What are Biscuits?

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Randy Johnson wrote:

>>> I find North American English,

>> So tell us where you from and im sure we can find equally disturbing
>> usage of language in whatever place of origin you claim.
>> Given the nature of your complaint i would guess you are "English" and
>> thus subject to all the criticism that goes with a country that sustain
>> class distinctions based on the spoken word.

> Let's not alienate the British, they are among our last remaining friends in
> the world. Let's stick together and continue to show our disdain for the
> deserving - the French. Besides, we may need each other's support the next
> time the German's think they should rule the world.

Cripes. I would have thought that the recent Obama victory and the
realization that Bush screwed the American people by starting a war on
the basis of a pack of lies that people would have clued in. Bush was
****ed at the French and the Germans because they would not back his
plans to invade Iraq. He tried to blame them for Saddam having nuclear
arms and biological and chemical program with their help, though they
had more American support for them than from the French or Germans. The
French and Germans were not convinced that Saddam still had those
programs or that they had stores of WMDs, and said that invading Iraq
would lead to chaos.

As it turned out, Iraq had no more nuclear, biological or chemical arms
programs. Nor did it have those WMDs that Bush claimed. The French and
Germans were right about that, and the continuing violence in Iraq are
clear indications that they were right about the chaos that would....
did.. result.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
" > wrote:

> I find North American English, with its propensity for inverting
> syntactically sound expressions and creating verbs out of sows' ears
> (to Christmas shop, to grocery shop, etc.), has produced some rather
> unappetizing terms for food usually as some sort of abbreviation. A
> few came up recently and I thought I'd start a thread on this, as a
> form of recreation (because this is after all a rec.* newsgroup).
>
> NOTE: I specifically said North American as this aberration can also
> be found in parts of Canada.
>
> So here are a few:
>
> "from scratch", or worse "scratch" (as in "scratch cake"...oy, the
> mental image of cake made from flaky dead skin or dandruff)
>
> "tub" as in "tub of margarine" or yogurt, or worse "tub butter". What
> the hell is "tub butter" and who would want any? The word "tub"
> conjures up the idea of a large receptacle in which people bathe and
> lose their dead skin, floating in soapy water...again with the dead
> skin image.
>
> "tablespread" or the use of "spread" to mean a soft substance...I'm
> not even going there.

I favor adding "poutine" to the list.

Of course, there are the phrases that *aren't* used, like "dead cow
meat". That's actually a perfectly correct phrase to describe a beef
steak, but it doesn't sound very good. How about "dead pig meat"? I'm
getting boring here.

My brother went to a very fancy dinner in China. Since my brother was
the only guest who didn't know chinese, he got a special menu in
English. You didn't get to choose off the menu, it was all arranged in
advance, ten courses in all. The English words were all correct, but
not the ones expected. Two of the course were described simply as "pig
intestines". Well, that's what they were. Another was "chicken feet".
After ten courses, my brother left there still hungry.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 12, 9:24*am, maxine in ri > wrote:
> On Nov 12, 11:27*am, " >
> wrote:
>

> > I find North American English, with its propensity for inverting
> > syntactically sound expressions and creating verbs out of sows' ears
> > (to Christmas shop, to grocery shop, etc.), has produced some rather
> > unappetizing terms for food usually as some sort of abbreviation. *A
> > few came up recently and I thought I'd start a thread on this, as a
> > form of recreation (because this is after all a rec.* newsgroup).

> > NOTE: I specifically said North American as this aberration can also
> > be found in parts of Canada.

> > So here are a few:

> > "from scratch", or worse "scratch" (as in "scratch cake"...oy, the
> > mental image of cake made from flaky dead skin or dandruff)

> > "tub" as in "tub of margarine" or yogurt, or worse "tub butter". *What
> > the hell is "tub butter" and who would want any? *The word "tub"
> > conjures up the idea of a large receptacle in which people bathe and
> > lose their dead skin, floating in soapy water...again with the dead
> > skin image.

> > "tablespread" or the use of "spread" to mean a soft substance...I'm
> > not even going there.

> Comes from that great kid song which most of us were privy to during
> our formative years:
>
> Great big gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts
> mutilated monkey meat
> little birdie's bloody feet
> One half pint of all purpose porpoise pus
> floating in grade A blood,
> and me without a spooooon!
> *(there are variations; *my DH from NJ has a somewhat different
> version)
>
> maxine in ri
> repository of many many many songs of similar caliber- Hide quoted text -

"The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out,
the worms play pee- knuckle on your snout"
Like my phonetic spelling?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" > wrote in news:7bfa283c-02a8-
:

> I find North American English, with its propensity for inverting
> syntactically sound expressions and creating verbs out of sows' ears
> (to Christmas shop, to grocery shop, etc.), has produced some rather
> unappetizing terms for food usually as some sort of abbreviation. A
> few came up recently and I thought I'd start a thread on this, as a
> form of recreation (because this is after all a rec.* newsgroup).
>
> NOTE: I specifically said North American as this aberration can also
> be found in parts of Canada.
>
> So here are a few:
>
> "from scratch", or worse "scratch" (as in "scratch cake"...oy, the
> mental image of cake made from flaky dead skin or dandruff)

Scratch conjures up a different image for me....... a soldiers
breakfast...... a scratch, a fart, and a look around.

> "tub" as in "tub of margarine" or yogurt, or worse "tub butter". What
> the hell is "tub butter" and who would want any?

How about a 'knob' of butter.

And who would shape their butter to resemble a knob?

Hmmmmm..... sudden images of "Last Tango in Paris"

> The word "tub"
> conjures up the idea of a large receptacle in which people bathe and
> lose their dead skin, floating in soapy water...again with the dead
> skin image.

You have this thnd about dead skin, don't you??? :-)

> "tablespread" or the use of "spread" to mean a soft substance...I'm
> not even going there.

Spread 'em :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Mi b'aill docha basaich air m' ris, sin mair air m'glun.

(I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joseph Littleshoes > wrote in news:ce823$491b1adb$4396f602
:

> wrote:
>
>> I find North American English,

> So tell us where you from and im sure we can find equally disturbing
> usage of language in whatever place of origin you claim.

LOL!!

Aussie slang for pie and sauce = dogs eye and ded 'orse.

But a quick NeoTrace of his IP shows him to be in Ottawa.

> I mean if your going to call an
> automobiles storage space a 'boot'

And at the other end is the bonnet.

> and an battery operated light a
> 'torch'

What the hell do you call it???!!

> .... your "biscuit" is our cookie.

Even though we now have packaging that calls some of them cookies :-/

> Our biscuit is something akin
> to a dinner roll, only fluffier and less salty. Usually served with
> breakfast with either preserves, butter, or bacon and eggs.

Your biscuit is our scone. Scone pronounced with the --one as 'on'.

Not as you call them with the --one pronounced 'own'

> Your "jelly" is our Jell-O or gelatin.

Gelatin is gelatin. Jelly is jelly.

> Your "jam" is our jelly.
>
> Your "crisp" is our chip.

Crisp is pommy.
We call them potato chips.

> Your "chips" are our french fries.

We call 'em hot chips.

> Your "mobile" is our cell phone.

It travels in your pocket/on your person, wherevr you go..... it's a mobile
phone.

> And we are all better off not even mentioning "marmite" (Promite YUM!!)

aubergine (egg plant)
> courgette (zuchinni) serviette (serviette) or a nice bit of crumpet (Ay!!

A hot crumpet on a cold morning with a cup of tea is bloody nice!!)

> Of course that is all just every day speech. If you ran into a proper
> cockney and he said something along the lines of "Bloody 'ell check out
> the boat and bristols on that. Ahh pony that was my trouble on the dog.
> OK china better finnish me pigs and hit the frog or I'll be in barney,
> know wha' I mean?".. Good luck understanding that.

I know China, and frog..... maybe trouble and dog too.

China plate = mate
Frog and toad = road.
Trouble (and strife) = wife
Dog (and bone) = phone

the rest might as well be in !Kabee (kalahari Bushman language :-)

--
Peter Bigshoes Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

Mi b'aill docha basaich air m' ris, sin mair air m'glun.

(I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joseph Littleshoes > wrote in news:ce823$491b1adb$4396f602
:

> So tell us where you from and im sure we can find equally disturbing
> usage of language in whatever place of origin you claim.
> Given the nature of your complaint i would guess you are "English"

Completely wrong, bucko. Not English, not even English-speaking until age
seven.

Let me guess, you're one of those really thin-skinned USAians...

[great honking load of twaddle removed]

--

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote in news:491b2d58$0$5527
:

> The French and
> Germans were right about that, and the continuing violence in Iraq are
> clear indications that they were right about the chaos that would....
> did.. result.

Not just them. I sent out a clear warning right here on rfc, on 07 March
2003 (thirteen days before Bush lost his mind), when I responded to Pan
Ohco in the following terms:

"Has it occurred to you that this whole thing might just be totally wrong-
headed? Starting a war in the Gulf right now is like taking a baseball bat
to a hornet's nest."

Could I have been clearer? No. Did I do my bit for world peace? Yes, and
yet they didn't listen. Oh well...it turned out I was correct also.

And oddly enough it was in response to a French-bashing thread then too.

Plus çà change, plus c'est la même chose.

--

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
good of everyone. - John Maynard Keynes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in
:

> He HATES the English language and also ALL Anglophones, he holds them
> in sneering contempt...in fact I believe he is on some sort of "Do Not
> Enter" list for the United States!

You obviously have drawn conclusions which are diametrically opposed to
my behaviour. If as you say I truly hated anglophones, I would refuse to
have anything to do with them. If you want to meet someone who holds
anglophones in contempt, you should meet my cousin Stéphane. He will
spit in your face before you even say a second word (in English).

I freely converse with you and others like you in YOUR language, and I
keep myself informed on matters which emanate from the US (and elsewhere
around the world) and may have an impact on the situation here. I would
be a fool not to. During the Bush years, I was a vocal critic of the US
government's policies and actions with respect to foreign issues, and of
some of its "luminaries". I am also critical of the current gummint in
Canada.

I am pleased with the election of Obama, which to me completes a circle
which began, for me, in the early 60's, when I first took notice of the
movement to emancipate the black population in the southern US states.
At which point I ask you...how could you NOT welcome a black man in the
White House? Of course, you didn't say you didn't, but given your
squealy rants lately, I can only assume that you would have preferred the
baked Alaskan and her nearly dead running mate to the current winner.

I anticipate that my attitude towards the US government will improve as
it shows an openness which was sorely lacking, evidenced in the election
of so many pasty white guys (Nixon, Reagan, Bush, pater and filius).

> Politically speaking he is also a die - hard COMMUNIST

Marxist, not communist. Very big diff.

> who would love
> nothing more than seeing old Soviet - style communism reigning as the
> one and only socio - political system in all the world.

uh-huh...

> His ideal
> world would be present - day Cuba - - with a swinging Francophone
> beat, natch...

There is much to be said for Cuba. Universal health care is one, free
education is another.

> That said I always enjoy Michel's food posts, I myself have learned
> much about poutine and other things...those French Canadians surely
> have a penchant for rustic peasant dishes.

Aw, you really really love me...

> I know he'll really appreciate that subscription to _The Western
> Standard_ and _The Collected Works of Mark Steyn_ ("bound in calfskin,
> embossed in gold...")

Save your money and buy yourself a kitchen tool (ObFood). I read
Macleans as part of my job and I suspect I have read more Mark Steyn than
you can even know exists.

> that I'm gifting him for the upcoming holiday
> (in his case New Year's, him being a communist Christmas is verboten
> and all...)...

And I'll be sending you a copy of the life of Eugene Debs...because you
could use some socializing. This hard-nosed right-winger shtick may work
on the rubes in your neck of the woods, but I see through it. The
prescription is simple...you need to get out more :-)

Enough. I'm going to bed.

--

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
good of everyone. - John Maynard Keynes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> "Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote in message
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I find North American English,

> <snip>
>
> Wait a minute.
>
> If Biscuits are cookies
> What are Biscuits?
>

> Dimitri

Scones?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote

>I find North American English, with its propensity for inverting
> syntactically sound expressions and creating verbs out of sows' ears
> (to Christmas shop, to grocery shop, etc.), has produced some rather
> unappetizing terms for food usually as some sort of abbreviation. A
> few came up recently and I thought I'd start a thread on this, as a
> form of recreation (because this is after all a rec.* newsgroup).

Tell me, are you a native British speaker?

> NOTE: I specifically said North American as this aberration can also
> be found in parts of Canada.

Of course. The usage is largely the same as their smaller southern
neighbor.

> "from scratch", or worse "scratch" (as in "scratch cake"...oy, the
> mental image of cake made from flaky dead skin or dandruff)

Sorry, term way predates us as a country.

> "tub" as in "tub of margarine" or yogurt, or worse "tub butter". What
> the hell is "tub butter" and who would want any? The word "tub"

Thats the old name for a bucket and milk was placed in a bucket with a chirn
on top and made into buetter.

> "tablespread" or the use of "spread" to mean a soft substance...I'm
> not even going there.

New one on me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michel Boucher" wrote

> Enough. I'm going to bed.

Under a bridge no doubt, where trolls like to live.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:

> Great big gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts
> mutilated monkey meat
> little birdie's bloody feet
> One half pint of all purpose porpoise pus
> floating in grade A blood,
> and me without a spooooon!
> (there are variations; my DH from NJ has a somewhat different
> version)
>
> maxine in ri
> repository of many many many songs of similar caliber

Great big globs of greasy grimey gopher guts
Mutilated monkey meat
Itsy bitsy birdie feet
French fried eyeballs swimming in a pool of blood
Me, I forgot my spoon
But I have a straaaaaaaw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 12 Nov 2008 11:04:22a, Joseph Littleshoes told us...

> So tell us where you from and im sure we can find equally disturbing
> usage of language in whatever place of origin you claim.
> Given the nature of your complaint i would guess you are "English" and
> thus subject to all the criticism that goes with a country that sustain
> class distinctions based on the spoken word.
>
> "Why cant the English teach their children how to speak? this verbal
> class distinction by now should be antique."
>
> And of course, when the last great imperial power has been neutered by
> history its only inevitable they would have nothing left to whine about
> than the way other people speak. I mean if your going to call an
> automobiles storage space a 'boot' and an battery operated light a
> 'torch' .... your "biscuit" is our cookie. Our biscuit is something akin
> to a dinner roll, only fluffier and less salty. Usually served with
> breakfast with either preserves, butter, or bacon and eggs.
>
> Your "jelly" is our Jell-O or gelatin.
>
> Your "jam" is our jelly.
>
> Your "crisp" is our chip.
>
> Your "chips" are our french fries.
>
> Your "mobile" is our cell phone.
>
> And we are all better off not even mentioning "marmite" aubergine,
> courgette, serviette, or a nice bit of crumpet
>
> Of course that is all just every day speech. If you ran into a proper
> cockney and he said something along the lines of "Bloody 'ell check out
> the boat and bristols on that. Ahh pony that was my trouble on the dog.
> OK china better finnish me pigs and hit the frog or I'll be in barney,
> know wha' I mean?".. Good luck understanding that.
> --
> Joseph Littleshoes

Not to mention “potted shrimp”.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 11(XI)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
2wks 5hrs 18mins
Never attempt to distract a masturbating gorilla.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in :

> "Michel Boucher" wrote
>
>> Enough. I'm going to bed.

> Under a bridge no doubt, where trolls like to live.

My, aren't we the knowlegeable usenetter, all of a sudden.

--

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
good of everyone. - John Maynard Keynes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba > wrote in
:

> Seems to me you're just inventing a reason to whine about something.
> Bored?

Bored, yes, but I'm not whining...it's a conversation. Either go with it,
or ignore it.

--

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
good of everyone. - John Maynard Keynes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in
:

> > wrote
>
>>I find North American English, with its propensity for inverting
>> syntactically sound expressions and creating verbs out of sows' ears
>> (to Christmas shop, to grocery shop, etc.), has produced some rather
>> unappetizing terms for food usually as some sort of abbreviation. A
>> few came up recently and I thought I'd start a thread on this, as a
>> form of recreation (because this is after all a rec.* newsgroup).

> Tell me, are you a native British speaker?

Dealt with elsewhere, no. I am a French-Canadian. I have lived in North
America almost all of my life.

>> "from scratch", or worse "scratch" (as in "scratch cake"...oy, the
>> mental image of cake made from flaky dead skin or dandruff)

> Sorry, term way predates us as a country.

Chee, did I say this was about a single country? I think I was quite clear
that it wasn't. And how can you know it predates the creation of the US?
Again with the thin skin...or is this your subtle way of saying that as a
USAian, you are blissfully and willingly unaware of anything before 1776?
Because, you know, that wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

>> "tub" as in "tub of margarine" or yogurt, or worse "tub butter".
>> What the hell is "tub butter" and who would want any? The word "tub"

> Thats the old name for a bucket and milk was placed in a bucket with a
> chirn on top and made into buetter.

Can you substantiate this?

--

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
good of everyone. - John Maynard Keynes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel wrote on Thu, 13 Nov 2008 07:30:26 -0600:

> Chee, did I say this was about a single country? I think I was
> quite clear that it wasn't. And how can you know it predates
> the creation of the US? Again with the thin skin...or is this
> your subtle way of saying that as a USAian, you are blissfully

As an unapologetic American immigrant, I find the term "USAian",
unappetizing, difficult to pronounce and a clumsy coinage.

> and willingly unaware of anything before 1776? Because, you
> know, that wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in news:q4WSk.261
:

>> Chee, did I say this was about a single country? I think I was
>> quite clear that it wasn't. And how can you know it predates
>> the creation of the US? Again with the thin skin...or is this
>> your subtle way of saying that as a USAian, you are blissfully

> As an unapologetic American immigrant, I find the term "USAian",
> unappetizing, difficult to pronounce and a clumsy coinage.

Good thing it's not the topic then. Start your own thread. And just so
you know, it was coined by a USAian university professor back around the
late 1980's.

--

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
good of everyone. - John Maynard Keynes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher wrote:
> "James Silverton" > wrote
>>
>> As an unapologetic American immigrant, I find the term "USAian",
>> unappetizing, difficult to pronounce and a clumsy coinage.

> Good thing it's not the topic then. Start your own thread. And just
> so you know, it was coined by a USAian university professor back
> around the late 1980's.

(laugh) All of a sudden Michel is enamored of a word
invented by an American.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in news:zaWSk.39611$AS2.34770
@newsfe20.ams2:

> Michel Boucher wrote:
>> "James Silverton" > wrote
>>>
>>> As an unapologetic American immigrant, I find the term "USAian",
>>> unappetizing, difficult to pronounce and a clumsy coinage.

>> Good thing it's not the topic then. Start your own thread. And just
>> so you know, it was coined by a USAian university professor back
>> around the late 1980's.

> (laugh) All of a sudden Michel is enamored of a word
> invented by an American.

Enamored is a strong word. I find it appropriately descriptive and in fact
have used it since roundabout 1988, so it's nothing new, although it may be
to you :-)

I will sometimes also use the term "Murrikun" which I believe is also
monnaie courante in your country.

--

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
good of everyone. - John Maynard Keynes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel wrote on Thu, 13 Nov 2008 08:10:22 -0600:

>> Michel Boucher wrote:
>>> "James Silverton" > wrote

>>> Good thing it's not the topic then. Start your own thread.
>>> And just so you know, it was coined by a USAian university
>>> professor back around the late 1980's.

>> (laugh) All of a sudden Michel is enamored of a word
>> invented by an American.

> Enamored is a strong word. I find it appropriately
> descriptive and in fact have used it since roundabout 1988, so
> it's nothing new, although it may be to you :-)

> I will sometimes also use the term "Murrikun" which I believe
> is also monnaie courante in your country.

I guess I'll have to keep "Canuck" for you :-)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 12, 11:27�am, " >
wrote:
> I find North American English, with its propensity for inverting
> syntactically sound expressions and creating verbs out of sows' ears
> (to Christmas shop, to grocery shop, etc.), has produced some rather
> unappetizing terms for food usually as some sort of abbreviation. �A
> few came up recently and I thought I'd start a thread on this, as a
> form of recreation (because this is after all a rec.* newsgroup).
>
> NOTE: I specifically said North American as this aberration can also
> be found in parts of Canada.
>
> So here are a few:
>
> "from scratch", or worse "scratch" (as in "scratch cake"...oy, the
> mental image of cake made from flaky dead skin or dandruff)
>
> "tub" as in "tub of margarine" or yogurt, or worse "tub butter". �What
> the hell is "tub butter" and who would want any? �The word "tub"
> conjures up the idea of a large receptacle in which people bathe and
> lose their dead skin, floating in soapy water...again with the dead
> skin image.
>
> "tablespread" or the use of "spread" to mean a soft substance...I'm
> not even going there.

Hey hemorrhoid, your name is an abomination... what kinda friggin'
woid is alsandork.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

how about, "pork butt", "fat back", "cat head biscuit", "red-eye gravy",
and the most disgusting of all, "head cheese"?

YUM!

"scratch" and "tub" PALE by comparison to these!

(I wish I had a pair of cat head biscuits with some red eye, right
now...)

Lass

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterLucas > wrote:

> China plate = mate
> Frog and toad = road.
> Trouble (and strife) = wife
> Dog (and bone) = phone

Boat race = face
Bristol cities = titties
Pony & trap = crap
Pigs ear = beer
Barney rubble = trouble

:-)

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > wrote in message
> Dimitri wrote:

>> <snip>
>>
>> Wait a minute.
>>
>> If Biscuits are cookies
>> What are Biscuits?
>>

>> Dimitri

> Scones?
>
> gloria p

No I think scones are much much heavier and denser that a good southern
biscuit mit or mitout gravy.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher wrote:

> Goomba > wrote in
> :
>
> > Seems to me you're just inventing a reason to whine about something.
> > Bored?

> Bored, yes, but I'm not whining...it's a conversation. Either go with it,
> or ignore it.

I was going to ask, Michel...how are your kitties doing these days? I
remember a few years ago when you had a mother cat with kittens IIRC...

If you have some pics please post, I like kitties on my screensaver...

:-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:12:09 -0600, Gregory Morrow wrote:

> Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I find North American English,

>> So tell us where you from and im sure we can find equally disturbing
>> usage of language in whatever place of origin you claim.
>> Given the nature of your complaint i would guess you are "English" and
>> thus subject to all the criticism that goes with a country that sustain
>> class distinctions based on the spoken word.

> Michel Boucher is French - Canadian and IIRC lives in the Ottawa area...he
> is a long - time poster here. IIRC he is (or was) a librarian for the
> Canadian Parliament...
>
> He HATES the English language and also ALL Anglophones, he holds them in
> sneering contempt...in fact I believe he is on some sort of "Do Not Enter"
> list for the United States!
>
> Politically speaking he is also a die - hard COMMUNIST who would love
> nothing more than seeing old Soviet - style communism reigning as the one
> and only socio - political system in all the world. His ideal world would
> be present - day Cuba - - with a swinging Francophone beat, natch...
>
> That said I always enjoy Michel's food posts, I myself have learned much
> about poutine and other things...those French Canadians surely have a
> penchant for rustic peasant dishes.
>
> I know he'll really appreciate that subscription to _The Western Standard_
> and _The Collected Works of Mark Steyn_ ("bound in calfskin, embossed in
> gold...") that I'm gifting him for the upcoming holiday (in his case New
> Year's, him being a communist Christmas is verboten and all...)...
>
> :-)

mark 'the human' steyn *and* jonah goldberg? you sure have a taste for
right-wing numbskulls.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 21:28:49 -0500, cshenk wrote:

> "Michel Boucher" wrote
>
>> Enough. I'm going to bed.

> Under a bridge no doubt, where trolls like to live.

michel a troll? get a ****ing grip on yourself.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 07:40:34 -0600, Michel Boucher wrote:

> "James Silverton" > wrote in news:q4WSk.261
> :
>
>>> Chee, did I say this was about a single country? I think I was
>>> quite clear that it wasn't. And how can you know it predates
>>> the creation of the US? Again with the thin skin...or is this
>>> your subtle way of saying that as a USAian, you are blissfully

>> As an unapologetic American immigrant, I find the term "USAian",
>> unappetizing, difficult to pronounce and a clumsy coinage.

> Good thing it's not the topic then. Start your own thread. And just so
> you know, it was coined by a USAian university professor back around the
> late 1980's.

damned academics. hope he wasn't a columbian man.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 13, 12:33*pm, blake murphy > wrote:

> mark 'the human' steyn *and* jonah goldberg? *you sure have a taste for
> right-wing numbskulls.

He`s actually referring to Ezra Levant, a poor (conservative) man's
David
Frum who fancies himself Barbara Amiel's next hump, no doubt. Mark
Steyn is another of the knights of the pen, who fancy themselves the
diametric opposite of what they actually are.

They're all Canadians and what they actually are are boils on the bum
political.