General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-11-2010, 03:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 640
Default Out of date cake/pancake mixes

I got this today, and had a look in my pantry, and sure enough found a couple
of boxes way at the back that were between 6 months to 18 months out of date.

They now reside in the bin.

Better to be safe, than sorry.


http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp




--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming..If you
want to experience the element, get out of the vehicle !

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-11-2010, 04:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,127
Default Out of date cake/pancake mixes

Aussie wrote on Wed, 10 Nov 2010 14:37:55 GMT:

They now reside in the bin.


Better to be safe, than sorry.


http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp


Exactly, how much does it cost to discard outdated mixes?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-11-2010, 06:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 662
Default Out of date cake/pancake mixes

On 11/10/2010 11:54 AM, Andy wrote:
"James wrote:

Aussie wrote on Wed, 10 Nov 2010 14:37:55 GMT:

They now reside in the bin.


Better to be safe, than sorry.


http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp


Exactly, how much does it cost to discard outdated mixes?



I had a year old box of Bisquik pancake mix stored in the pantry that I
opened a second time to make some pancakes and saw tiny black mites(?)
swimming around in the mix.

Shocked the heck out of me!!!

Andy


weevils. Their eggs were probably there when you bought the mix.

--
Currently reading: the thirteenth tale by Diane Setterfield
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-11-2010, 06:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,555
Default Out of date cake/pancake mixes

Andy wrote:
"James Silverton" wrote:

Aussie wrote on Wed, 10 Nov 2010 14:37:55 GMT:

They now reside in the bin.
Better to be safe, than sorry.
http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp

Exactly, how much does it cost to discard outdated mixes?



I had a year old box of Bisquik pancake mix stored in the pantry that I
opened a second time to make some pancakes and saw tiny black mites(?)
swimming around in the mix.

Shocked the heck out of me!!!

Andy



Just add some poppyseeds. :-)

Helpfully,
Bob
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-11-2010, 07:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,216
Default Out of date cake/pancake mixes

Andy wrote:
ravenlynne wrote:


weevils. Their eggs were probably there when you bought the mix.



ravenlynne

Is that what they were?!?

I'd never have guessed that in 1,000,000 years!

All the same... EWWW!!!

Best,

Andy


gawd Andy.. you're such a manly man....


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-11-2010, 08:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 662
Default Out of date cake/pancake mixes

On 11/10/2010 1:37 PM, Goomba wrote:
Andy wrote:
ravenlynne wrote:


weevils. Their eggs were probably there when you bought the mix.



ravenlynne

Is that what they were?!?

I'd never have guessed that in 1,000,000 years!

All the same... EWWW!!!

Best,

Andy


gawd Andy.. you're such a manly man....


Really!! They're completely edible! LOL ;-) And he'd already eaten the
eggs more than likely...

--
Currently reading: the thirteenth tale by Diane Setterfield
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-11-2010, 09:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 640
Default Out of date cake/pancake mixes

ravenlynne wrote in news:ibekcq$ut6$2
@news.eternal-september.org:

On 11/10/2010 11:54 AM, Andy wrote:
"James wrote:

Aussie wrote on Wed, 10 Nov 2010 14:37:55 GMT:

They now reside in the bin.

Better to be safe, than sorry.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp

Exactly, how much does it cost to discard outdated mixes?



I had a year old box of Bisquik pancake mix stored in the pantry that I
opened a second time to make some pancakes and saw tiny black mites(?)
swimming around in the mix.

Shocked the heck out of me!!!

Andy


weevils. Their eggs were probably there when you bought the mix.



Yep, seen that before, in flour IIRC........ and then you sot there and
think, "Well, if the eggs were in there before, that means I'm eating the
damn things when the product is "fresh"!!


--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming..If
you want to experience the element, get out of the vehicle !
  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-11-2010, 10:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,256
Default Out of date cake/pancake mixes

On Nov 10, 8:37*am, Aussie
wrote:
I got this today, and had a look in my pantry, and sure enough found a couple
of boxes way at the back that were between 6 months to 18 months out of date.

They now reside in the bin.

Better to be safe, than sorry.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp

--
Peter Lucas * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Hobart
Tasmania

If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming..If you
want to experience the element, get out of the vehicle !


So, can one see the mold in the mix? There must be something about
other ingredients in the mix because I've used buckwheat flour that's
several years old, with no problems at all, and it tasted just as
great as when it was newly-purchased.

N.
  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-11-2010, 10:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 640
Default Out of date cake/pancake mixes

Nancy2 wrote in news:55dbd0db-7fcd-44b1-bb37-
:

On Nov 10, 8:37*am, Aussie
wrote:
I got this today, and had a look in my pantry, and sure enough found a

co
uple
of boxes way at the back that were between 6 months to 18 months out of

d
ate.

They now reside in the bin.

Better to be safe, than sorry.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp



So, can one see the mold in the mix? There must be something about
other ingredients in the mix because I've used buckwheat flour that's
several years old, with no problems at all, and it tasted just as
great as when it was newly-purchased.



Don't know about seeing it, and the article says that mixes that are
sealed in foil/plastic *should* be fine.

Buckwheat flour wouldn't be subject to this mould thing..... it seems to
only occur in mixes that have yeast in them.


I've had some flour (a long while back) that ended up with weavils in it,
but it doesn't seem to be happening of late. They must be using a better
radiation technique ;-)


--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming..If
you want to experience the element, get out of the vehicle !
  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-11-2010, 10:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,555
Default Out of date cake/pancake mixes

Aussie wrote:
Nancy2 wrote in news:55dbd0db-7fcd-44b1-bb37-
:

On Nov 10, 8:37 am, Aussie
wrote:
I got this today, and had a look in my pantry, and sure enough found a

co
uple
of boxes way at the back that were between 6 months to 18 months out of

d
ate.
They now reside in the bin.

Better to be safe, than sorry.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp


So, can one see the mold in the mix? There must be something about
other ingredients in the mix because I've used buckwheat flour that's
several years old, with no problems at all, and it tasted just as
great as when it was newly-purchased.



Don't know about seeing it, and the article says that mixes that are
sealed in foil/plastic *should* be fine.

Buckwheat flour wouldn't be subject to this mould thing..... it seems to
only occur in mixes that have yeast in them.


I've had some flour (a long while back) that ended up with weavils in it,
but it doesn't seem to be happening of late. They must be using a better
radiation technique ;-)




I have a bag of bread flour in my kitchen that's at least 5 years old;
maybe closer to 10. It's a 25 pound bag, and I've *almost* finally
used it up. It's still good, and it's not buggy even tho' I have had
a couple of pantry moth invasions in the past few years.

I think white flour lacks some necessary nutrients for insects to
thrive, or maybe it's too dry.

But they sure got into my dehydrated vegetable. In a glass jar with a
plastic lid. No idea how they managed that.

Bob


  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-11-2010, 11:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 640
Default Out of date cake/pancake mixes

zxcvbob wrote in :

..

But they sure got into my dehydrated vegetable. In a glass jar with a
plastic lid. No idea how they managed that.



Eggs already in it, or laid in it when it's been open, maybe.


--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming..If you
want to experience the element, get out of the vehicle !
  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-11-2010, 11:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 46,524
Default Out of date cake/pancake mixes


"Andy" wrote in message ...
"James Silverton" wrote:

Aussie wrote on Wed, 10 Nov 2010 14:37:55 GMT:

They now reside in the bin.


Better to be safe, than sorry.


http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp


Exactly, how much does it cost to discard outdated mixes?



I had a year old box of Bisquik pancake mix stored in the pantry that I
opened a second time to make some pancakes and saw tiny black mites(?)
swimming around in the mix.

Shocked the heck out of me!!!


I've bought fresh things made of flour from the store or mail order and
found live or dear bugs in them. Yuck!


  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-11-2010, 12:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,546
Default Out of date cake/pancake mixes

Nancy2 wrote:
Aussie wrote:
I got this today, and had a look in my pantry, and sure enough found a couple
of boxes way at the back that were between 6 months to 18 months out of date.

They now reside in the bin.

Better to be safe, than sorry.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp


So, can one see the mold in the mix?


Mold indicates too much moisture.

Those are "best used by dates", not "expiration dates". In mixes the
baking powder can become weak over time but is easily remedied by
adding a small amount of fresh for insurance. Naturally if it's buggy
or smells rancid dump it the same as one would regardless of the date.
I've had box cakes in my pantry for as long as five years and still
they baked up perfectly without adding any baking powder. Also a lot
has to do with where/how one lives; in hot humid climes without AC no
exposed food stuffs will keep well,


  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-11-2010, 08:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 19,959
Default Out of date cake/pancake mixes

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 13:37:08 -0500, Goomba wrote:

Andy wrote:
ravenlynne wrote:


weevils. Their eggs were probably there when you bought the mix.


ravenlynne

Is that what they were?!?

I'd never have guessed that in 1,000,000 years!

All the same... EWWW!!!

Best,

Andy


gawd Andy.. you're such a manly man....


and smart, too!

your pal,
blake
  #15 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-11-2010, 08:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 19,959
Default Out of date cake/pancake mixes

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 14:50:46 -0500, ravenlynne wrote:

On 11/10/2010 1:37 PM, Goomba wrote:
Andy wrote:
ravenlynne wrote:


weevils. Their eggs were probably there when you bought the mix.


ravenlynne

Is that what they were?!?

I'd never have guessed that in 1,000,000 years!

All the same... EWWW!!!

Best,

Andy


gawd Andy.. you're such a manly man....


Really!! They're completely edible! LOL ;-) And he'd already eaten the
eggs more than likely...


jeez, now he'll worry about the little weevils growing in his tummy.

your pal,
blake


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pancake mixes and fluffiness Orlando Enrique Fiol General Cooking 5 23-05-2014 04:40 PM
Make Waffles/Pancake Batter Yourself - Or Use Mixes? Judy Haffner General Cooking 32 15-10-2012 01:49 PM
What happened to marble cake mixes? [email protected] General Cooking 18 30-11-2010 06:56 PM
My first date cake.. piedmont General Cooking 3 23-02-2010 02:27 AM
Boxed cake mixes - shrunk? Janet Bostwick[_2_] General Cooking 6 01-10-2009 04:10 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017