Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Make Waffles/Pancake Batter Yourself - Or Use Mixes?

So many people I know buy the waffle and pancake mixes in bags or boxes
and use them, rather than make them from "scratch", and I don't think
they are near as good as homemade. I've always made my own, as that way
too, I can adjust the salt, sugar, etc.

Do you have a favorite kind of pancake, such as blueberry, sourdough,
buckwheat, or maybe even chocolate chip or pumpkin, etc.? Also do you
prefer Belgium waffles over just the regular ones? I make the regular
waffles mostly, using buttermilk. Hubby likes them for supper rather
than breakfast. Today I made us buttermilk pancakes with fresh
blueberries in them (from Costco).

What do you like on your pancake, or waffles? I mostly have them with
syrup, and not pure maple either, as guess I am an odd-ball, but I don't
care for it, and using Mrs. Butterworths at this time. Hubby likes his
with just butter and nothing else.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 10:20:11 -0800, (Judy Haffner)
wrote:

>So many people I know buy the waffle and pancake mixes in bags or boxes
>and use them, rather than make them from "scratch", and I don't think
>they are near as good as homemade. I've always made my own, as that way
>too, I can adjust the salt, sugar, etc.

I use Bisquick for waffles. Pancakes I make with my late
mother-in-law's recipe- A little sour cream & a lot of egg was her
'secret'.

>Do you have a favorite kind of pancake, such as blueberry, sourdough,
>buckwheat, or maybe even chocolate chip or pumpkin, etc.?

Blueberry- frozen or fresh. Buckwheat every 3-4 years.

>Also do you
>prefer Belgium waffles over just the regular ones?

'regular' - but with more of a crunchy texture that what I usually get
at a diner.

>waffles mostly, using buttermilk. Hubby likes them for supper rather
>than breakfast. Today I made us buttermilk pancakes with fresh
>blueberries in them (from Costco).
>
>What do you like on your pancake, or waffles? I mostly have them with
>syrup, and not pure maple either, as guess I am an odd-ball, but I don't
>care for it, and using Mrs. Butterworths at this time. Hubby likes his
>with just butter and nothing else.

Either real maple syrup-- or, I confess, Mrs. Butterworths. [though
every couple of years I'll just pour on the blackstrap molasses.]

I'll add some cinnamon and sugar sometimes. [probably ought to say I
*used* to-- haven't done that in years.]

A couple hours later, if there are leftover pancakes, I'll make a
jelly roll for a snack.

We stayed at a nice hotel in VT a couple weeks ago. The syrup they
served with breakfast was excellent. We asked at the desk if it was
local syrup and the girl said she thought it was from NY.

The next morning I asked the cook. He wouldn't tell me *where* it
was from, but assured me it was real maple - but not from Vermont.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

My method is cheaper and more nutritious. I mix up large batches of the dry ingredients and oil, store in a tight lidded jar, ( includes whole wheat flour, oatmeal etc) a toss in an egg and plain yogurt. The batter is ready in about 2 minutes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> My method is cheaper and more nutritious. I mix up large batches of the
> dry ingredients and oil, store in a tight lidded jar, ( includes whole
> wheat flour, oatmeal etc) a toss in an egg and plain yogurt. The batter
> is ready in about 2 minutes.

Hey how about some quantities here?

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 13:31:47 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>My method is cheaper and more nutritious.

I don't know what that is cheaper or more nutritious than-- but I
gotta say that when I'm eating pancakes or waffles, neither economy
nor nutrition are my goal.<g>

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/2012 11:04 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 13:31:47 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
>> My method is cheaper and more nutritious.

> I don't know what that is cheaper or more nutritious than-- but I
> gotta say that when I'm eating pancakes or waffles, neither economy
> nor nutrition are my goal.<g>
>
> Jim

I love those giant bags of pancake mix from the warehouse stores. I dump
some in a bowl and add some water and mix with a wire whisk. I can mix
up a batch in about a minute. It's amazing! For waffles, I add some oil
and maybe some vanilla. The mix tastes fine as long as it hasn't been
sitting around too long. Making batter from scratch is OK too as long as
the flour hasn't been sitting around too long but I don't see much point
in taking the time to mix it up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/2012 2:20 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> So many people I know buy the waffle and pancake mixes in bags or boxes
> and use them, rather than make them from "scratch", and I don't think
> they are near as good as homemade. I've always made my own, as that way
> too, I can adjust the salt, sugar, etc.
>
> Do you have a favorite kind of pancake, such as blueberry, sourdough,
> buckwheat, or maybe even chocolate chip or pumpkin, etc.? Also do you
> prefer Belgium waffles over just the regular ones? I make the regular
> waffles mostly, using buttermilk. Hubby likes them for supper rather
> than breakfast. Today I made us buttermilk pancakes with fresh
> blueberries in them (from Costco).
>
> What do you like on your pancake, or waffles? I mostly have them with
> syrup, and not pure maple either, as guess I am an odd-ball, but I don't
> care for it, and using Mrs. Butterworths at this time. Hubby likes his
> with just butter and nothing else.

I always make them from scratch. Posts here about how good some batters
can be inspired me to try one (for buttermilk). Nope. Back t scratch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/2012 5:04 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 13:31:47 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
>> My method is cheaper and more nutritious.

> I don't know what that is cheaper or more nutritious than-- but I
> gotta say that when I'm eating pancakes or waffles, neither economy
> nor nutrition are my goal.<g>

Good idea. Good pancakes and waffles are hard to beat. Besides, most
mixes still require that you add milk, eggs and oil, which are the
expensive ingredients. I tried a mix that required only water, which
would make it cheaper, but ..... really.... eggs, flour and milk? It all
goes to hell without good syrup, and that is going to cost more than the
ingredients.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> So many people I know buy the waffle and pancake mixes in bags or boxes
> and use them, rather than make them from "scratch", and I don't think
> they are near as good as homemade. I've always made my own, as that way
> too, I can adjust the salt, sugar, etc.
>
> Do you have a favorite kind of pancake, such as blueberry, sourdough,
> buckwheat, or maybe even chocolate chip or pumpkin, etc.? Also do you
> prefer Belgium waffles over just the regular ones? I make the regular
> waffles mostly, using buttermilk. Hubby likes them for supper rather
> than breakfast. Today I made us buttermilk pancakes with fresh
> blueberries in them (from Costco).
>
> What do you like on your pancake, or waffles? I mostly have them with
> syrup, and not pure maple either, as guess I am an odd-ball, but I don't
> care for it, and using Mrs. Butterworths at this time. Hubby likes his
> with just butter and nothing else.

I suck at making pancake batter, even when using somebody's
grandmother's recipe that I loved when the person who gave it to me
made them... so I prefer to use a mix on those rare occasions that I
try making them. As far as what I like on my pancakes - I like
copious amounts of butter and real maple syrup. Nothing else will do.

I'm not particular about what form my waffles come in, but my waffle
maker is the belgian type (although I don't limit it to only cooking
belgian pancake batter).

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 10, 1:51*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 10:20:11 -0800, (Judy Haffner)
> wrote:
>

> >So many people I know buy the waffle and pancake mixes in bags or boxes
> >and use them, rather than make them from "scratch", and I don't think
> >they are near as good as homemade. I've always made my own, as that way
> >too, I can adjust the salt, sugar, etc.

> >Do you have a favorite kind of pancake, such as blueberry, sourdough,
> >buckwheat, or maybe even chocolate chip or pumpkin, etc.? Also do you
> >prefer Belgium waffles over just the regular ones? I make the regular
> >waffles mostly, using buttermilk. Hubby likes them for supper rather
> >than breakfast. Today I made us buttermilk pancakes with fresh
> >blueberries in them (from Costco).

> >What do you like on your pancake, or waffles? I mostly have them with
> >syrup, and not pure maple either, as guess I am an odd-ball, but I don't
> >care for it, and using Mrs. Butterworths at this time. Hubby likes his
> >with just butter and nothing else.

> >Judy

> I detest pancakes and waffles. *I really like Freedom Toast and Crepes

You forgot to add eggo's
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 16:35:12 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 10:20:11 -0800, (Judy Haffner)
>wrote:
>

>> So many people I know buy the waffle and pancake mixes in bags or boxes
>> and use them, rather than make them from "scratch", and I don't think
>> they are near as good as homemade. I've always made my own, as that way
>> too, I can adjust the salt, sugar, etc.
>>
>> Do you have a favorite kind of pancake, such as blueberry, sourdough,
>> buckwheat, or maybe even chocolate chip or pumpkin, etc.? Also do you
>> prefer Belgium waffles over just the regular ones? I make the regular
>> waffles mostly, using buttermilk. Hubby likes them for supper rather
>> than breakfast. Today I made us buttermilk pancakes with fresh
>> blueberries in them (from Costco).
>>
>> What do you like on your pancake, or waffles? I mostly have them with
>> syrup, and not pure maple either, as guess I am an odd-ball, but I don't
>> care for it, and using Mrs. Butterworths at this time. Hubby likes his
>> with just butter and nothing else.
>>

>I suck at making pancake batter, even when using somebody's
>grandmother's recipe that I loved when the person who gave it to me
>made them... so I prefer to use a mix on those rare occasions that I
>try making them. As far as what I like on my pancakes - I like
>copious amounts of butter and real maple syrup. Nothing else will do.

I'm not much of a pancake eater but the couple times a year I indulge
I insist on a knob of butter and a fried runny egg between each one in
the stack, no syrup, the runny egg yolk and melted butter is all
pancakes need. Another great version is sailer pancakes, fry up
hamsteaks and pour pancake batter over and then griddle them per
usual, then float those boats in warmed maple syrup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 16:40:27 -0700 (PDT), Chemo
> wrote:

>On Oct 10, 1:51*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 10:20:11 -0800, (Judy Haffner)
>> wrote:
>>
>> >So many people I know buy the waffle and pancake mixes in bags or boxes
>> >and use them, rather than make them from "scratch", and I don't think
>> >they are near as good as homemade. I've always made my own, as that way
>> >too, I can adjust the salt, sugar, etc.

>> >Do you have a favorite kind of pancake, such as blueberry, sourdough,
>> >buckwheat, or maybe even chocolate chip or pumpkin, etc.? Also do you
>> >prefer Belgium waffles over just the regular ones? I make the regular
>> >waffles mostly, using buttermilk. Hubby likes them for supper rather
>> >than breakfast. Today I made us buttermilk pancakes with fresh
>> >blueberries in them (from Costco).

>> >What do you like on your pancake, or waffles? I mostly have them with
>> >syrup, and not pure maple either, as guess I am an odd-ball, but I don't
>> >care for it, and using Mrs. Butterworths at this time. Hubby likes his
>> >with just butter and nothing else.

>> >Judy

>> I detest pancakes and waffles. *I really like Freedom Toast and Crepes

>You forgot to add eggo's

Don't laugh but I used to keep Eggos in my freezer for when the grands
visited. They begged for them but then they'd swish them about on
their plate with lots of syrup going everywhere. Then one day I
decided to get rid of the stash but even the critters wouldn't eat
them. I don't know how anyone can eat those things.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

(FWIW, it's "Belgian waffles".)

We love pancakes, French toast (especially made with challah or
brioche), regular waffles, and crepes, and have them in rotation for
breakfast every Sunday.

I've tried every waffle/pancake recipe I've come across, but still
haven't found one that I like as much as Aunt Jemima Original. 8;(

We never add anything to the mix itself, just as toppings.

I don't like maple flavor in or on anything, so I top mine with berry
syrup, berries, or cinnamon sugar and butter.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/2012 4:51 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> I detest pancakes and waffles. I really like Freedom Toast and Crepes

Do you serve it on a water board?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/12 10:59 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>.... Pretty easy at 5:30 in the morning

I have it on good authority that there are no hours before 9 in the morning.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 10, 7:20*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> I'm not much of a pancake eater but the couple times a year I indulge
> I insist on a knob of butter and a fried runny egg between each one in
> the stack, no syrup, the runny egg yolk and melted butter is all
> pancakes need. *Another great version is sailer pancakes, fry up
> hamsteaks and pour pancake batter over and then griddle them per
> usual, then float those boats in warmed maple syrup.

Hey, that sounds good! I bet that would be a big hit at the
dinnertable some night : D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Judy Haffner wrote:

> So many people I know buy the waffle and pancake mixes in bags or boxes
> and use them, rather than make them from "scratch", and I don't think
> they are near as good as homemade. I've always made my own, as that way
> too, I can adjust the salt, sugar, etc.
>
> Do you have a favorite kind of pancake,

I never make waffles. Easier just to buy frozen ones occasionally.
As for pancakes, I always make them from scratch using the old Betty Crocker
recipe. I do add twice the milk though so mine are very thin and moist, more
like crepes.

G.

On them, I add butter to each then syrup. Real maple syrup is good but I
like the generic stuff ok too...like Hungry Jack, which is what I have here
now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/2012 5:53 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 10/10/2012 11:04 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 13:31:47 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> My method is cheaper and more nutritious.

>> I don't know what that is cheaper or more nutritious than-- but I
>> gotta say that when I'm eating pancakes or waffles, neither economy
>> nor nutrition are my goal.<g>
>>
>> Jim
>>

> I love those giant bags of pancake mix from the warehouse stores. I dump
> some in a bowl and add some water and mix with a wire whisk. I can mix
> up a batch in about a minute. It's amazing! For waffles, I add some oil
> and maybe some vanilla. The mix tastes fine as long as it hasn't been
> sitting around too long. Making batter from scratch is OK too as long as
> the flour hasn't been sitting around too long but I don't see much point
> in taking the time to mix it up.

I like those for biscuits, too, assuming you're talking about Bisquik.
I keep the mix around to make up a quick batch of cheesy biscuits ala
Red Lobster. Wow, I want some now and no Bisquik in my cabinet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/2012 8:20 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> I'm not much of a pancake eater but the couple times a year I indulge
> I insist on a knob of butter and a fried runny egg between each one in
> the stack, no syrup, the runny egg yolk and melted butter is all
> pancakes need. Another great version is sailer pancakes, fry up
> hamsteaks and pour pancake batter over and then griddle them per
> usual, then float those boats in warmed maple syrup.

Both of those sound really good!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2012 1:59 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> I like those for biscuits, too, assuming you're talking about Bisquik. I
> keep the mix around to make up a quick batch of cheesy biscuits ala Red
> Lobster. Wow, I want some now and no Bisquik in my cabinet.

I've gotten big bags of pancake mix at Costco and Sam's Club but don't
remember what brand they were. My guess is that they're pretty much the
same as Bisquick.

We went to the Red Lobster the other day. It was the first time I've
ever been there - it was so-so. The cheesy biscuits was the best thing
there. It's a drop biscuit made with oil. I've been planning to make
cheesy biscuits too. First I gotta figure out what would go good with
these things. Fried chicken but not hamburger. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 19:59:01 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 10/10/2012 5:53 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On 10/10/2012 11:04 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>>> On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 13:31:47 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia

>>> I don't know what that is cheaper or more nutritious than-- but I
>>> gotta say that when I'm eating pancakes or waffles, neither economy
>>> nor nutrition are my goal.<g>
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>

>> I love those giant bags of pancake mix from the warehouse stores. I dump
>> some in a bowl and add some water and mix with a wire whisk. I can mix
>> up a batch in about a minute. It's amazing! For waffles, I add some oil
>> and maybe some vanilla. The mix tastes fine as long as it hasn't been
>> sitting around too long. Making batter from scratch is OK too as long as
>> the flour hasn't been sitting around too long but I don't see much point
>> in taking the time to mix it up.

>I like those for biscuits, too, assuming you're talking about Bisquik.
>I keep the mix around to make up a quick batch of cheesy biscuits ala
>Red Lobster. Wow, I want some now and no Bisquik in my cabinet.

I've got 2 biscuits left from last night.<g> They're on the table
in a baggie-- Damn they are good. [and about as simple as life can
get] I don't even melt the butter anymore. I use butter
flavored oil & garlic and onion powder.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> I've got 2 biscuits left from last night.<g> They're on the table
> in a baggie-- Damn they are good. [and about as simple as life can
> get] I don't even melt the butter anymore. I use butter
> flavored oil & garlic and onion powder.

That sounds pretty darn tasty to me.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 07:41:12 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>>
>> I've got 2 biscuits left from last night.<g> They're on the table
>> in a baggie-- Damn they are good. [and about as simple as life can
>> get] I don't even melt the butter anymore. I use butter
>> flavored oil & garlic and onion powder.

>That sounds pretty darn tasty to me.

Let's see if Cheryl and I use the same recipe. This was off the box
of Bisquick from many years ago;
[preheat oven to 450F]
2 cups Bisquick
3/4 cup cheddar cheese [I eyeball it- and go high]
2/3 cup milk

mix with a spoon as little as possible.
Drop 9-10 spoonfuls on a cookie sheet.
Bake at 450 for 10 minutes-
paint with garlic butter while hot.
[I use about 1/4 cup of liquid with 1/2 tsp garlic powder and 1/4 tsp
onion powder]

I don't remember ever going to Red Lobster- but folks who do say these
are just like theirs.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

I hate pancakes, rarely make waffles (they have to have a fried crisp
texture) but love French Toast.

I use Mrs Buttersworth Sugar Free syrup (tried many s-f syrups and that
one is the thickest richest tasting to me.) I love to add chopped pecans
to the syrup.

Take 3 pancakes, add 1/4 cup syrup, and you are looking at 80+ net
carbs.

Take 3 slices light italian bread, make french toast, add 1/4 cup s-f
syrup, and you have ~25 net carbs.

ps in a pinch I dont mind the occasional Eggo-fry it in butter instead
of toasting :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 10/10/2012 5:53 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On 10/10/2012 11:04 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>>> On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 13:31:47 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia

>>> I don't know what that is cheaper or more nutritious than-- but I
>>> gotta say that when I'm eating pancakes or waffles, neither economy
>>> nor nutrition are my goal.<g>
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>

>> I love those giant bags of pancake mix from the warehouse stores. I dump
>> some in a bowl and add some water and mix with a wire whisk. I can mix
>> up a batch in about a minute. It's amazing! For waffles, I add some oil
>> and maybe some vanilla. The mix tastes fine as long as it hasn't been
>> sitting around too long. Making batter from scratch is OK too as long as
>> the flour hasn't been sitting around too long but I don't see much point
>> in taking the time to mix it up.

>I like those for biscuits, too, assuming you're talking about Bisquik.
>I keep the mix around to make up a quick batch of cheesy biscuits ala
>Red Lobster. Wow, I want some now and no Bisquik in my cabinet.

Cheryl, here's a great recipe for Bisquick substitute. Now you'll
always have some on hand.

Here's my post about it.
http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...ternative.html

or
http://tinyurl.com/8tkre9a

Remember Mimi? I got it off Mimi's Cyber-Kitchen
http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

'bisquick' Substitute

quick breads/biscuts

1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/8 cups flour
2 1/2 tablespoons canola oil

Sift together powder and sugar into flour. Sift together twice into
large mixing bowl. Slowly add oil, cutting in with pastry blender (or
2 knives), until mix is consistency of corn meal. Store in tightly
covered container at room temperature or may be refrigerated.
Spoon lightly into cup and level with spatula. Use for pancakes,
waffles, biscuits, coffee cake.

Notes: Mimi's Cyber-Kitchen

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

<snip biscuit recipe>

> I don't remember ever going to Red Lobster- but folks who do say these
> are just like theirs.

Thanks Jim. Saved this and will try soon. Now that cold weather is coming,
I cook more often.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 07:46:36 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>>

><snip biscuit recipe>
>
>> I don't remember ever going to Red Lobster- but folks who do say these
>> are just like theirs.

>Thanks Jim. Saved this and will try soon. Now that cold weather is coming,
>I cook more often.

So I wake up this morning and what is on the table but a take-out bag
of Red Lobster biscuits. Side by side comparison- [my 2 day old
vs RL overnight]
outside looks- no difference
compare texture- no different
compare flavor- Red lobster isn't as buttery- and I don't taste any
garlic. I think the cheese is about the same- I used a good sharp
cheddar, shredded.

I can't believe how close they are- but I like mine better.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/13/2012 7:20 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> I've got 2 biscuits left from last night.<g> They're on the table
> in a baggie-- Damn they are good. [and about as simple as life can
> get] I don't even melt the butter anymore. I use butter
> flavored oil & garlic and onion powder.

I've gone to RL for lunch a few times and the wait staff will give us a
whole bag of them to take with us. Amazing how a few cents worth of
food like that will make a bunch of women happy and giddy! LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 16:51:57 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
snip

>I detest pancakes and waffles. I really like Freedom Toast and Crepes

Ditto.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15/10/2012 1:12 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 16:51:57 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> snip
>

>> I detest pancakes and waffles. I really like Freedom Toast and Crepes

You were indoctrinated by Bush and Cheney too?