Old 01-10-2009, 01:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Boxed cake mixes - shrunk?

How much have they shrunk in the last 30 years? I haven't purchased many
mixes in that time, but I did have one recipe that required a cake mix. I
tried it tonight and could tell right away that there just wasn't enough mix
to make the bar crust. I did some doctoring and the result is so-so. I
think I recall someone on tv going on about needed 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 boxes to
replace the old boxes. Anyone know?
Janet

Old 01-10-2009, 01:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 30, 7:32*pm, "Janet Bostwick" wrote:
How much have they shrunk in the last 30 years? *I haven't purchased many
mixes in that time, but I did have one recipe that required a cake mix. *I
tried it tonight and could tell right away that there just wasn't enough mix
to make the bar crust. * I did some doctoring and the result is so-so. *I
think I recall someone on tv going on about needed * 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 boxes to
replace the old boxes. *Anyone know?
Janet

Aren't they 18 oz. boxes??
Old 01-10-2009, 01:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
On Sep 30, 7:32 pm, "Janet Bostwick" wrote:
How much have they shrunk in the last 30 years? I haven't purchased many
mixes in that time, but I did have one recipe that required a cake mix. I
tried it tonight and could tell right away that there just wasn't enough
mix
to make the bar crust. I did some doctoring and the result is so-so. I
think I recall someone on tv going on about needed 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 boxes to
replace the old boxes. Anyone know?
Janet

Aren't they 18 oz. boxes??

The current box I purchased is 18 oz. I think the boxes of yore were
larger.
Janet

Old 01-10-2009, 02:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 30, 8:32�pm, "Janet Bostwick" wrote:
How much have they shrunk in the last 30 years? �

I hadn't noticed that. One box still makes one two-layer cake, doesn't
it? (The last recipe I used a boxed cake mix for turned out just
fine.)

I do know that canned tuna and bags of potato chips are smaller than
they used to be.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Janet Bostwick" wrote:

How much have they shrunk in the last 30 years? I haven't purchased many
mixes in that time, but I did have one recipe that required a cake mix. I
tried it tonight and could tell right away that there just wasn't enough mix
to make the bar crust. I did some doctoring and the result is so-so. I
think I recall someone on tv going on about needed 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 boxes to
replace the old boxes. Anyone know?
Janet

Used to be an 18 ounce box was the standard, I think.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check

Old 01-10-2009, 05:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
"Janet Bostwick" wrote:

How much have they shrunk in the last 30 years? I haven't purchased many
mixes in that time, but I did have one recipe that required a cake mix.
tried it tonight and could tell right away that there just wasn't enough
mix
to make the bar crust. I did some doctoring and the result is so-so. I
think I recall someone on tv going on about needed 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 boxes
replace the old boxes. Anyone know?
Janet

Used to be an 18 ounce box was the standard, I think.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

Hmmmm, something is different. Maybe formulation. I wonder if the extra
moist mixes were available then. Thanks
Janet

Old 01-10-2009, 04:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" wrote:

How much have they shrunk in the last 30 years? *I haven't purchased many
mixes in that time, but I did have one recipe that required a cake mix..
tried it tonight and could tell right away that there just wasn't enough
mix
to make the bar crust. * I did some doctoring and the result is so-so. *I
think I recall someone on tv going on about needed * 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 boxes
replace the old boxes. *Anyone know?
Janet

Used to be an 18 ounce box was the standard, I think.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

Hmmmm, something is different. *Maybe formulation. *I wonder if the extra
moist mixes were available then. *Thanks
Janet- Hide quoted text -

I always use jumbo-sized eggs for everything, as I have for decades,
and the mixes still make a nice loaf-size (13 x 9), or two 8" layers
(a better fit than 9" layers)....if I'm using 9" pans or my 10" pans,
I make two mixes and put any extra batter into cupcakes.

N.