Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Out of date cake/pancake mixes

I got this today, and had a look in my pantry, and sure enough found a couple
of boxes way at the back that were between 6 months to 18 months out of date.

They now reside in the bin.

Better to be safe, than sorry.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming..If you
want to experience the element, get out of the vehicle !
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Aussie wrote on Wed, 10 Nov 2010 14:37:55 GMT:

> They now reside in the bin.

> Better to be safe, than sorry.

> http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp

Exactly, how much does it cost to discard outdated mixes?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/10/2010 11:54 AM, Andy wrote:
> "James > wrote:
>
>> Aussie wrote on Wed, 10 Nov 2010 14:37:55 GMT:
>>
>>> They now reside in the bin.

>>> Better to be safe, than sorry.

>>> http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp

>> Exactly, how much does it cost to discard outdated mixes?

> I had a year old box of Bisquik pancake mix stored in the pantry that I
> opened a second time to make some pancakes and saw tiny black mites(?)
> swimming around in the mix.
>
> Shocked the heck out of me!!!
>
> Andy

weevils. Their eggs were probably there when you bought the mix.

--
Currently reading: the thirteenth tale by Diane Setterfield
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> "James Silverton" > wrote:
>
>> Aussie wrote on Wed, 10 Nov 2010 14:37:55 GMT:
>>
>>> They now reside in the bin.
>>> Better to be safe, than sorry.
>>> http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp

>> Exactly, how much does it cost to discard outdated mixes?

> I had a year old box of Bisquik pancake mix stored in the pantry that I
> opened a second time to make some pancakes and saw tiny black mites(?)
> swimming around in the mix.
>
> Shocked the heck out of me!!!
>
> Andy

Just add some poppyseeds. :-)

Helpfully,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> ravenlynne > wrote:

>> weevils. Their eggs were probably there when you bought the mix.

> ravenlynne
>
> Is that what they were?!?
>
> I'd never have guessed that in 1,000,000 years!
>
> All the same... EWWW!!!
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

gawd Andy.. you're such a manly man....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/10/2010 1:37 PM, Goomba wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>> ravenlynne > wrote:

>>> weevils. Their eggs were probably there when you bought the mix.

>> ravenlynne
>>
>> Is that what they were?!?
>>
>> I'd never have guessed that in 1,000,000 years!
>>
>> All the same... EWWW!!!
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Andy

> gawd Andy.. you're such a manly man....

Really!! They're completely edible! LOL ;-) And he'd already eaten the
eggs more than likely...

--
Currently reading: the thirteenth tale by Diane Setterfield
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ravenlynne > wrote in news:ibekcq$ut6$2
@news.eternal-september.org:

> On 11/10/2010 11:54 AM, Andy wrote:

>>> Exactly, how much does it cost to discard outdated mixes?

>> I had a year old box of Bisquik pancake mix stored in the pantry that I
>> opened a second time to make some pancakes and saw tiny black mites(?)
>> swimming around in the mix.
>>
>> Shocked the heck out of me!!!
>>
>> Andy

> weevils. Their eggs were probably there when you bought the mix.

Yep, seen that before, in flour IIRC........ and then you sot there and
think, "Well, if the eggs were in there before, that means I'm eating the
damn things when the product is "fresh"!!

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming..If
you want to experience the element, get out of the vehicle !
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 10, 8:37*am, Aussie >
wrote:
> I got this today, and had a look in my pantry, and sure enough found a couple
> of boxes way at the back that were between 6 months to 18 months out of date.
>
> They now reside in the bin.
>
> Better to be safe, than sorry.
>
> http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp
>
> --
> Peter Lucas * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> Hobart
> Tasmania
>
> If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming..If you
> want to experience the element, get out of the vehicle !

So, can one see the mold in the mix? There must be something about
other ingredients in the mix because I've used buckwheat flour that's
several years old, with no problems at all, and it tasted just as
great as when it was newly-purchased.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 > wrote in news:55dbd0db-7fcd-44b1-bb37-
:

> On Nov 10, 8:37*am, Aussie >
> wrote:
>> I got this today, and had a look in my pantry, and sure enough found a

co
> uple
>> of boxes way at the back that were between 6 months to 18 months out of

> ate.
>>
>> They now reside in the bin.
>>
>> Better to be safe, than sorry.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp

> So, can one see the mold in the mix? There must be something about
> other ingredients in the mix because I've used buckwheat flour that's
> several years old, with no problems at all, and it tasted just as
> great as when it was newly-purchased.

Don't know about seeing it, and the article says that mixes that are
sealed in foil/plastic *should* be fine.

Buckwheat flour wouldn't be subject to this mould thing..... it seems to
only occur in mixes that have yeast in them.

I've had some flour (a long while back) that ended up with weavils in it,
but it doesn't seem to be happening of late. They must be using a better
radiation technique ;-)

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming..If
you want to experience the element, get out of the vehicle !
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Aussie wrote:
> Nancy2 > wrote in news:55dbd0db-7fcd-44b1-bb37-
> :
>
>> On Nov 10, 8:37 am, Aussie >
>> wrote:
>>> I got this today, and had a look in my pantry, and sure enough found a

> co
>> uple
>>> of boxes way at the back that were between 6 months to 18 months out of

>> ate.
>>> They now reside in the bin.
>>>
>>> Better to be safe, than sorry.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp

>> So, can one see the mold in the mix? There must be something about
>> other ingredients in the mix because I've used buckwheat flour that's
>> several years old, with no problems at all, and it tasted just as
>> great as when it was newly-purchased.
>>

> Don't know about seeing it, and the article says that mixes that are
> sealed in foil/plastic *should* be fine.
>
> Buckwheat flour wouldn't be subject to this mould thing..... it seems to
> only occur in mixes that have yeast in them.
>

> I've had some flour (a long while back) that ended up with weavils in it,
> but it doesn't seem to be happening of late. They must be using a better
> radiation technique ;-)

I have a bag of bread flour in my kitchen that's at least 5 years old;
maybe closer to 10. It's a 25 pound bag, and I've *almost* finally
used it up. It's still good, and it's not buggy even tho' I have had
a couple of pantry moth invasions in the past few years.

I think white flour lacks some necessary nutrients for insects to
thrive, or maybe it's too dry.

But they sure got into my dehydrated vegetable. In a glass jar with a
plastic lid. No idea how they managed that.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob > wrote in :

..

> But they sure got into my dehydrated vegetable. In a glass jar with a
> plastic lid. No idea how they managed that.

Eggs already in it, or laid in it when it's been open, maybe.

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming..If you
want to experience the element, get out of the vehicle !
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> "James Silverton" > wrote:
>
>> Aussie wrote on Wed, 10 Nov 2010 14:37:55 GMT:
>>
>>> They now reside in the bin.

>>> Better to be safe, than sorry.

>>> http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp

>> Exactly, how much does it cost to discard outdated mixes?

> I had a year old box of Bisquik pancake mix stored in the pantry that I
> opened a second time to make some pancakes and saw tiny black mites(?)
> swimming around in the mix.
>
> Shocked the heck out of me!!!

I've bought fresh things made of flour from the store or mail order and
found live or dear bugs in them. Yuck!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
>Aussie wrote:
>> I got this today, and had a look in my pantry, and sure enough found a couple
>> of boxes way at the back that were between 6 months to 18 months out of date.
>>
>> They now reside in the bin.
>>
>> Better to be safe, than sorry.
>>
>> http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp

>So, can one see the mold in the mix?

Mold indicates too much moisture.

Those are "best used by dates", not "expiration dates". In mixes the
baking powder can become weak over time but is easily remedied by
adding a small amount of fresh for insurance. Naturally if it's buggy
or smells rancid dump it the same as one would regardless of the date.
I've had box cakes in my pantry for as long as five years and still
they baked up perfectly without adding any baking powder. Also a lot
has to do with where/how one lives; in hot humid climes without AC no
exposed food stuffs will keep well,

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 13:37:08 -0500, Goomba wrote:

> Andy wrote:
>> ravenlynne > wrote:

>>> weevils. Their eggs were probably there when you bought the mix.

>> ravenlynne
>>
>> Is that what they were?!?
>>
>> I'd never have guessed that in 1,000,000 years!
>>
>> All the same... EWWW!!!
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Andy

> gawd Andy.. you're such a manly man....

and smart, too!

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 14:50:46 -0500, ravenlynne wrote:

> On 11/10/2010 1:37 PM, Goomba wrote:
>> Andy wrote:

>>> ravenlynne
>>>
>>> Is that what they were?!?
>>>
>>> I'd never have guessed that in 1,000,000 years!
>>>
>>> All the same... EWWW!!!
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Andy

>> gawd Andy.. you're such a manly man....

> Really!! They're completely edible! LOL ;-) And he'd already eaten the
> eggs more than likely...

jeez, now he'll worry about the little weevils growing in his tummy.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 10, 3:58*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> Aussie wrote:
> > Nancy2 > wrote in news:55dbd0db-7fcd-44b1-bb37-
> > :

> > co
> >> uple

> >> ate.

> >> So, can one see the mold in the mix? *There must be something about
> >> other ingredients in the mix because I've used buckwheat flour that's
> >> several years old, with no problems at all, and it tasted just as
> >> great as when it was newly-purchased.

> > Don't know about seeing it, and the article says that mixes that are
> > sealed in foil/plastic *should* be fine.

> > Buckwheat flour wouldn't be subject to this mould thing..... it seems to
> > only occur in mixes that have yeast in them.

> > I've had some flour (a long while back) that ended up with weavils in it,
> > but it doesn't seem to be happening of late. They must be using a better
> > radiation technique ;-)

> I have a bag of bread flour in my kitchen that's at least 5 years old;
> maybe closer to 10. *It's a 25 pound bag, and I've *almost* finally
> used it up. *It's still good, and it's not buggy even tho' I have had
> a couple of pantry moth invasions in the past few years.
>
> I think white flour lacks some necessary nutrients for insects to
> thrive, or maybe it's too dry.
>
> But they sure got into my dehydrated vegetable. *In a glass jar with a
> plastic lid. *No idea how they managed that.
>
> Bob- Hide quoted text -

They got into paprika once in my cupboard. I wouldn't think they'd
like that.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> They got into paprika once in my cupboard. I wouldn't think they'd
> like that.
>
> N.

I've had them in cayenne pepper. Evidently they don't have heat
receptors. Birds don't have them, either, and can eat hot peppers w/o
reaction.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On 11/10/2010 11:54 AM, Andy wrote:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp

> >> Exactly, how much does it cost to discard outdated mixes?

> > I had a year old box of Bisquik pancake mix stored in the pantry that I
> > opened a second time to make some pancakes and saw tiny black mites(?)
> > swimming around in the mix.
> >
> > Shocked the heck out of me!!!
> >
> > Andy

> weevils. Their eggs were probably there when you bought the mix.

Just as long as you only eat the lesser of them you should be OK.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

J. Clarke wrote:
> In article >,
> says...

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp

>>> I had a year old box of Bisquik pancake mix stored in the pantry that I
>>> opened a second time to make some pancakes and saw tiny black mites(?)
>>> swimming around in the mix.
>>>
>>> Shocked the heck out of me!!!
>>>
>>> Andy

>> weevils. Their eggs were probably there when you bought the mix.

> Just as long as you only eat the lesser of them you should be OK.

I see what you did there. (take your pick, Lesser Grain Borer, or
"lesser of two weevils") <snicker>

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 16:36:13 -0600, Andy wrote:

> blake murphy > wrote:

>>> Really!! They're completely edible! LOL ;-) And he'd already eaten the
>>> eggs more than likely...

>> jeez, now he'll worry about the little weevils growing in his tummy.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> Like if I were "No Legs" murphy feeling no legs growing back in my sleep.
>
> Ya gotta be kidding the world.
>
> When will you shut the heck up?
>
> "Your pal blake" is seriously stale.
>
> Evidence replies to your posts.
>
> Andy

i'll gladly shut up when you stop posting gibberish.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> J. Clarke wrote:
> > In article >,

says...

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp

> >> weevils. Their eggs were probably there when you bought the mix.

> > Just as long as you only eat the lesser of them you should be OK.
> >

> I see what you did there. (take your pick, Lesser Grain Borer, or
> "lesser of two weevils") <snicker>

Have you read Patrick O'Brien's novels? You've actually got the tone
and pacing of a conversation between Aubrey and Maturin down, or pretty
close.

Should you be inclined to look it up, the "lesser of two weevils"
discussion is in "The Fortune of War", (can't tell you exactly on what
page though) the sixth book in the series, although it's also replicated
in the movie "Master and Commander, the Far Side of the World", which is
based loosely on the tenth book. In the book there's even a digression
related to the particular species of the critter under observation.

Oh, and coming back to topic, there's a cookbook, "Lobscouse and Spotted
Dog" that includes tested recipes for every food described in the
Patrick O'Brien novels that had been released up to the date of its
publication.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/18/2010 7:33 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
> In >,
> says...
>>
>> J. Clarke wrote:
>>> In >,

says...

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp

>>> Just as long as you only eat the lesser of them you should be OK.
>>>

>> I see what you did there. (take your pick, Lesser Grain Borer, or
>> "lesser of two weevils")<snicker>

> Have you read Patrick O'Brien's novels? You've actually got the tone
> and pacing of a conversation between Aubrey and Maturin down, or pretty
> close.
>
> Should you be inclined to look it up, the "lesser of two weevils"
> discussion is in "The Fortune of War", (can't tell you exactly on what
> page though) the sixth book in the series, although it's also replicated
> in the movie "Master and Commander, the Far Side of the World", which is
> based loosely on the tenth book. In the book there's even a digression
> related to the particular species of the critter under observation.
>
> Oh, and coming back to topic, there's a cookbook, "Lobscouse and Spotted
> Dog" that includes tested recipes for every food described in the
> Patrick O'Brien novels that had been released up to the date of its
> publication.

My husband reads those and loves them. IMO they're good sleep fodder
lol...:-) The cookbook sounds interesting.

--
Currently reading: The Chalice by Phil Rickman and The Walking Dead vol 3
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Aubrey/Maturin was Out of date cake/pancake mixes

In article ocal>,
"J. Clarke" > wrote:

> Have you read Patrick O'Brien's novels? You've actually got the tone
> and pacing of a conversation between Aubrey and Maturin down, or pretty
> close.
>
> Should you be inclined to look it up, the "lesser of two weevils"
> discussion is in "The Fortune of War", (can't tell you exactly on what
> page though) the sixth book in the series, although it's also replicated
> in the movie "Master and Commander, the Far Side of the World", which is
> based loosely on the tenth book. In the book there's even a digression
> related to the particular species of the critter under observation.
>
> Oh, and coming back to topic, there's a cookbook, "Lobscouse and Spotted
> Dog" that includes tested recipes for every food described in the
> Patrick O'Brien novels that had been released up to the date of its
> publication.

Some years back, on either this group or ba.food, we had a fine exchange
on the officer's mess' late night snack.'toasted cheese'. I'll pass on
the spotted dick. And isn't lobscouse a Liverpool F.C. fan? <grin>

D.M.
a Hajduk Split fan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Don Martinich > wrote in news:dmartinich-
:

> Some years back, on either this group or ba.food, we had a fine exchange
> on the officer's mess' late night snack.'toasted cheese'.

Toasted cheese/grilled cheese..... samesame.

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/a...lled%20cheese%
20and%20tomato/

http://tinyurl.com/2tgvon

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-11-19, Don Martinich > wrote:
> In article ocal>,
> "J. Clarke" > wrote:
>

>> Have you read Patrick O'Brien's novels?

The entire series, five times!

>> Oh, and coming back to topic, there's a cookbook, "Lobscouse and Spotted
>> Dog" that includes tested recipes for every food described in the
>> Patrick O'Brien novels

I had the book for awhile, but gave it to our library when I moved.
The recipes were all heavily beef fat ("slush") centric (think
yorkshire pudding), as that was the primary by-product of soaking,
then boiling, dried beef, the primary food on HMSs of the time. The
authors also pointed out they had to guess on a few recipes, being
unable to find historically accurate written examples. Ol' Patrick
was not above inventing a few story props, now and then, "marthambles"
being a particularly irksome one.

> Some years back, on either this group or ba.food, we had a fine exchange
> on the officer's mess' late night snack.'toasted cheese'. I'll pass on
> the spotted dick.

I was heavily into toasted cheese, for awhile. Not having a
loggerhead, I used a small toaster oven, which is perfect for making
up the dish. Too much of a hassle to turn on the oven jes fer a few
mins under the broiler. Welsh rarebit (rabbit) is a great variation
on the dish and is fun to experiment with, it adding beer and mustard
to the mix.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On 11/18/2010 7:33 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
> > In >,

> > says...

says...

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp

> >> I see what you did there. (take your pick, Lesser Grain Borer, or
> >> "lesser of two weevils")<snicker>

> > Have you read Patrick O'Brien's novels? You've actually got the tone
> > and pacing of a conversation between Aubrey and Maturin down, or pretty
> > close.
> >
> > Should you be inclined to look it up, the "lesser of two weevils"
> > discussion is in "The Fortune of War", (can't tell you exactly on what
> > page though) the sixth book in the series, although it's also replicated
> > in the movie "Master and Commander, the Far Side of the World", which is
> > based loosely on the tenth book. In the book there's even a digression
> > related to the particular species of the critter under observation.
> >
> > Oh, and coming back to topic, there's a cookbook, "Lobscouse and Spotted
> > Dog" that includes tested recipes for every food described in the
> > Patrick O'Brien novels that had been released up to the date of its
> > publication.

> My husband reads those and loves them. IMO they're good sleep fodder
> lol...:-) The cookbook sounds interesting.

It's a hoot. If your husband likes the novels and you want to surprise
him some time serve him a spotted dog or one of the other suet puddings.
Don't do it too often though--they will clog your arteries at 40 paces.