Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Out of date cake/pancake mixes

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp

>> So, can one see the mold in the mix? There must be something about
>> other ingredients in the mix because I've used buckwheat flour that's
>> several years old, with no problems at all, and it tasted just as
>> great as when it was newly-purchased.
>>

> Don't know about seeing it, and the article says that mixes that are
> sealed in foil/plastic *should* be fine.
>
> Buckwheat flour wouldn't be subject to this mould thing..... it seems to
> only occur in mixes that have yeast in them.
>

> I've had some flour (a long while back) that ended up with weavils in it,
> but it doesn't seem to be happening of late. They must be using a better
> radiation technique ;-)

I have a bag of bread flour in my kitchen that's at least 5 years old;
maybe closer to 10. It's a 25 pound bag, and I've *almost* finally
used it up. It's still good, and it's not buggy even tho' I have had
a couple of pantry moth invasions in the past few years.

I think white flour lacks some necessary nutrients for insects to
thrive, or maybe it's too dry.

But they sure got into my dehydrated vegetable. In a glass jar with a
plastic lid. No idea how they managed that.

Bob